LG HU80KA 4K/UHD Laser Smart Projector - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 58Likes

post #91 of 398 Old 06-05-2018, 02:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricwhite View Post
This is not true 4k, but faux 4k, correct? I keep reading conflicting information on that. I just saw a review that said it is a 1080p projector that doubles the pixels to achieve a 4k type image. Just want to clarify that.
Correct...it uses XPR technology and a slightly older version of that technology (0.47 vs 0.66) which results in slightly less visual fidelity particularly noticeable under larger screen dimensions. That said, there are many posts here in the forums that dig into True 4K vs. shifting/wiggling pixel technology an this (my opinion based on reading up here) is that XPR is a very good implementation producing virtually native 4K visuals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 398 Old 06-06-2018, 12:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Robert Zohn of Value Electronics said this about the HU80KA that he has had for the past 3 weeks:

Projector Central gave LG's HU80KA 5 stars in every category and voted it the "Editor's Choice" award. Projector Central's review matches my findings of our review sample.

The form fit should not be an issue as I asked for and got LG to give us the normal VESA 4 bolt 1/4-20 standard bolt pattern on the top of the projector for easy ceiling mounting. This projector is a good match for fixed theater installation or portable use.

Here's the most important points, this 4K HDR laser projector delivers a stunning HDR picture. The laser lamp is rated for 20,000 hrs. The crazy low price and high performance makes this a great upgrade choice for anyone with a dedicated theater.

Sorry to be so strongly opinionated, but I've been using this projector for three weeks and we are loving the picture quality and convenience of easy operation for streaming, cable and BD operation.

For now I'll just give my one word review "Awesome, amazing, spectacular, breathtaking, price/performance King of HDR projection" Sorry I could not help myself. It's easy to see how Projector Central gave this a 5 star review in every category and made it the "Editor's Choice"

The standard VESA mount is good to know. But I have a Peerless universal mount with adjustable arms, so I will just use what I already have.

There are already discussions in other forums about 4K vs. faux-K, and 0.47 vs. 0.66. A prospective buyer would need to evaluate their seating position to decide the importance of 4K vs. faux-K and 0.47 vs. 0.66. For my distance and screen-width, it is probably a wash.

For me, I'd like to see some real info on the HU80KA's contrast levels. And for someone to actually zoom-in on the projected image to show the pixels.

Scott

PS from https://www.hometheaterforum.com/com...in-u-s.357606/

Last edited by 645824; 06-06-2018 at 08:45 PM.
post #93 of 398 Old 06-07-2018, 12:18 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hi everybody,
I have the soundbar LG sj9 atmos, and I pre-order the hu80ka. I would like to know if with an HDMI 2.0 of 10 meters it would be ok for ps4 pro or AppleTV 4k or I need an HDMI 2.1? because I have no choice to connect the ps4 and apple tv to the soundbar, and the sound bar to the projector. the problem is that the projector is 8 meters away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 398 Old 06-08-2018, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by 645824 View Post
Robert Zohn of Value Electronics said this about the HU80KA that he has had for the past 3 weeks:

Projector Central gave LG's HU80KA 5 stars in every category and voted it the "Editor's Choice" award. Projector Central's review matches my findings of our review sample.

The form fit should not be an issue as I asked for and got LG to give us the normal VESA 4 bolt 1/4-20 standard bolt pattern on the top of the projector for easy ceiling mounting. This projector is a good match for fixed theater installation or portable use.

Here's the most important points, this 4K HDR laser projector delivers a stunning HDR picture. The laser lamp is rated for 20,000 hrs. The crazy low price and high performance makes this a great upgrade choice for anyone with a dedicated theater.

Sorry to be so strongly opinionated, but I've been using this projector for three weeks and we are loving the picture quality and convenience of easy operation for streaming, cable and BD operation.

For now I'll just give my one word review "Awesome, amazing, spectacular, breathtaking, price/performance King of HDR projection" Sorry I could not help myself. It's easy to see how Projector Central gave this a 5 star review in every category and made it the "Editor's Choice"

The standard VESA mount is good to know. But I have a Peerless universal mount with adjustable arms, so I will just use what I already have.

There are already discussions in other forums about 4K vs. faux-K, and 0.47 vs. 0.66. A prospective buyer would need to evaluate their seating position to decide the importance of 4K vs. faux-K and 0.47 vs. 0.66. For my distance and screen-width, it is probably a wash.

For me, I'd like to see some real info on the HU80KA's contrast levels. And for someone to actually zoom-in on the projected image to show the pixels.

Scott

PS from https://www.hometheaterforum.com/com...in-u-s.357606/
Not to invite a wiki or defense of Robert’s esteemed tenure in forums as a curator/moderator/shootout hoster/retailer, etc, but based on numerous other postings that he has done on beamers for which he has a dedicated product promotion/order page, how credible do you think he is regarding this effusive praise (especially given the reticence many veteran AVSers have to expressing such to all but the highest end equipment?) Ie, what is his track record for simular past posts on promising new kits and how they were eventually regarded writ large?

Learn all about me in my profile and take it all very seriously.
post #95 of 398 Old 06-08-2018, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowknown View Post
Not to invite a wiki or defense of Robert’s esteemed tenure in forums as a curator/moderator/shootout hoster/retailer, etc, but based on numerous other postings that he has done on beamers for which he has a dedicated product promotion/order page, how credible do you think he is regarding this effusive praise (especially given the reticence many veteran AVSers have to expressing such to all but the highest end equipment?) Ie, what is his track record for simular past posts on promising new kits and how they were eventually regarded writ large?
My experience (limited) with Robert Zohn has been positive. The LG 4k projector is not a "high end" projector, but one of the low-cost faux 4k projectors. As such, the limited reviews coming in indicate it seems to perform very well COMPARED WITH ITS PEER GROUP. I see no numbers yet other than brightness, so most of the information is based on visual inspection of the image it throws. It would be interesting to see a comparison to the JVC and Epson 5040 faux 4k projectors that are in the same category. Until we get actual numbers, I will be cautiously optimistic that is could be the leader for the faux 4k group. I am also anticipating a replacement for the 5040 from Epson that would be a direct competitor to the LG. From what we DO know about the LG is that it is NOT really a short-throw projector and it is NOT a projector to use with ambient light. So, some of the big "advantages" that were initially promoted are not really true.
post #96 of 398 Old 06-08-2018, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Projector availability delayed?

Looks like June 4th has come and gone and the projector is still not available. B&H doesn't show any availability date anymore. World wide stereo shows shipment end of June or early July.
post #97 of 398 Old 06-09-2018, 01:24 PM

In thinking through this more, in my mind the competing projector is the Optoma UHZ65. The HU80KA has a laser., RGBYRGBY color-wheel, and 0.47 chip. The UHZ65 has a laser, RGBY color-wheel, and 0.66 chip.

But the HU80KA and UHZ65 are in different price categories. Other 0.47 laser projector's in the HU80KA's price point (Acer VL7860, etc.) don't seem to be very well received here in their respective AVSforum threads.

My hang-up is user upgradable firmware. The HU80KA has user upgradable firmware; most other faux-K DLP projectors do not and require a ship-back return to upgrade.

I really wish LG would release a 0.66 version, then the decision would be easy.

Scott
post #98 of 398 Old 06-09-2018, 01:39 PM

Value Electronics says that their first allotment week is 6/18.

Scott
post #99 of 398 Old 06-09-2018, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 46
You would then be in a completely different pricing territory. Would you still get it then?

Quote:

I really wish LG would release a 0.66 version, then the decision would be easy.

Scott
post #100 of 398 Old 06-09-2018, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monakh View Post
You would then be in a completely different pricing territory. Would you still get it then?
Yes. If LG had a 0.66 version then I'd place my order today. But for now that's why I'm deciding between the HU80KA and the UHZ65. I'm not that price sensitive since the projector is the focus of our living room and this will be a long-term investment (a decade). I've had a projector in this role since 1999 (Sharp NoteVision7, then Optoma, and now the Panasonic 8000). The Panasonic is acting up and the family is ready for 4K; even faux-K. It is the focal point and provides movies, TV, and streaming.

In looking at the other forums, firmware updates appear to be a big sticking point for numerous other DLP projectors. Likewise, I would prefer a laser instead of a bulb. And I prefer DLP over LCD. So this is pointing me to the HU80KA or the Optoma UHZ65. The HU80KA has user upgradable firmware. So score 1 point for LG.

I had considered, then skipped over, the Viewsonic PX727, Acer VL7860, Vivitek HK2299/2288, and BenQ HT2550. See their respective AVSforum threads for those discussions. Based on my previous DLP experience, and my present LCD experience with the Panasonic, I prefer DLP over LCD (actually I prefer DLP over 3 of anything because of alignment issues). So I also discounted the Sony true 4K units. Plus, my viewing distance and screen size don't benefit from true 4K (see the other discussions about the viewing distance vs. resolution graphic). I think that faux-K is fine for me.

For those curious, my family never really engaged with 3D. My existing projector does 3D, and we have the 3D glasses and a handful of 3D movies, but rarely bother any more and just pop in the 2D version. So the HU80KA's lack of 3D isn't an issue with us.

There are other threads for 4K vs. faux-K; and 3DBob showed a nice comparison graphic. At my distance from my 108-inch WIDE screen (diagonal measurement varies based on content's aspect ratio), I won't see the difference between 4K and faux-K anyway. For me, black-level and contrast then become more important. And here in the 21st century, I'm really really tired of dinking around with $300 light bulbs. So lasers are it.

For black level, I'm envious of the absolutely gorgeous OLED panels that I saw at Fry's (in Fremont California). But my projector-based screen is huge in comparison. And my Stewart FilmScreen GrayHawk screen comes down out of the ceiling in front of the bookcases -- then disappears when not in use. So projectors will be in my home for another decade.

Scott

Last edited by 645824; 06-09-2018 at 10:46 PM.
post #101 of 398 Old 06-10-2018, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Yes. If LG had a 0.66 version then I'd place my order today. But for now that's why I'm deciding between the HU80KA and the UHZ65. I'm not that price sensitive since the projector is the focus of our living room and this will be a long-term investment (a decade). I've had a projector in this role since 1999 (Sharp NoteVision7, then Optoma, and now the Panasonic 8000). The Panasonic is acting up and the family is ready for 4K; even faux-K. It is the focal point and provides movies, TV, and streaming.

In looking at the other forums, firmware updates appear to be a big sticking point for numerous other DLP projectors. Likewise, I would prefer a laser instead of a bulb. And I prefer DLP over LCD. So this is pointing me to the HU80KA or the Optoma UHZ65. The HU80KA has user upgradable firmware. So score 1 point for LG.

I had considered, then skipped over, the Viewsonic PX727, Acer VL7860, Vivitek HK2299/2288, and BenQ HT2550. See their respective AVSforum threads for those discussions. Based on my previous DLP experience, and my present LCD experience with the Panasonic, I prefer DLP over LCD (actually I prefer DLP over 3 of anything because of alignment issues). So I also discounted the Sony true 4K units. Plus, my viewing distance and screen size don't benefit from true 4K (see the other discussions about the viewing distance vs. resolution graphic). I think that faux-K is fine for me.

For those curious, my family never really engaged with 3D. My existing projector does 3D, and we have the 3D glasses and a handful of 3D movies, but rarely bother any more and just pop in the 2D version. So the HU80KA's lack of 3D isn't an issue with us.

There are other threads for 4K vs. faux-K; and 3DBob showed a nice comparison graphic. At my distance from my 108-inch WIDE screen (diagonal measurement varies based on content's aspect ratio), I won't see the difference between 4K and faux-K anyway. For me, black-level and contrast then become more important. And here in the 21st century, I'm really really tired of dinking around with $300 light bulbs. So lasers are it.

For black level, I'm envious of the absolutely gorgeous OLED panels that I saw at Fry's (in Fremont California). But my projector-based screen is huge in comparison. And my Stewart FilmScreen GrayHawk screen comes down out of the ceiling in front of the bookcases -- then disappears when not in use. So projectors will be in my home for another decade.

Scott
I don't disagree with much you have said, especially that part about replacing bulbs with lasers. I also came to the same conclusion before purchasing my XGIMI H1S LED PJ. However, as someone who has had almost the entire pedigree of LG LED-based projectors (you can find my review about one of the the original mainstream LG LED PJs, perhaps nine or ten years back, here at AVS), I am not so sure about the firmware updates. Along the way, I had the HS200, the PA70G and even an Acer K330 and some bulb-based Epsons and my last and trusty Benq W1070 (in which all three of my bulbs exploded). However, case in point is my older PF1500 (not to be confused with the W-variant), I don't think I have had a single firmware upgrade pushed to it in the three years I have owned it. In fact, it was sent to LG for repair, and it still came back a 'virgin'. None of my LG projectors were ever updated.

This isn't my experience with their OLED TVs though. I have a 65" C7 that has been upgraded at least a couple of times (and once, manually by myself, with the latest Korean firmware). All I am saying is that you shouldn't put so much stock in the user upgradeable firmware capability of LG LED projectors. There are other merits to this ground-breaking PJ, certainly, but I don't think that firmware upgrades should be the main driver for purchase.
post #102 of 398 Old 06-10-2018, 03:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1596 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Perhaps that is why the LG has been delayed. They don't want to ship until they are certain there will be a very small chance of them having to push a software change to fix a problem. Like us, I would imagine they have someone in their product group who is reading all of these 4K projector threads and know what kind of problems to look for. In the end, that's good for those who intend to buy, of course. This HDR stuff must be much more complex under the covers than we can possibly imagine.

Jack
post #103 of 398 Old 06-10-2018, 04:46 PM

I am sure their entire tech is exceedingly complex but that's what billion dollar R&D budgets are for. You'll always have issues, the key is to deal with them with absolute transparency (not sure if LG qualifies on that front).

I think the delays are related to channel logistics, that's all. You'll see it show up all of a sudden and before you know it everyone will have it for sale.

This is also why the European variant has been on sale for a while.

Sent from my SM-N9500 using Tapatalk
post #104 of 398 Old 06-10-2018, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Estimated Availability?

While randomly checking sites to see if the model number would return availability, Fry's finally gave me a bit of a clue. See the attached image.

Looks like June 21 might be the date.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fry_s Electronics | HU80KA-1.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	2414690  
post #105 of 398 Old 06-10-2018, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 93
in china's largest online shopping site
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=563912243427

XGimi CC, XGimi Z6, UKCSIS, Vmai M200 Pico
Xbox One S, LG SH4
post #106 of 398 Old 06-10-2018, 08:30 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Yeah definitely not at that price for 0.47! I wouldn't bank on projector central as they've been inaccurate regarding LG projectors before. The mirror design looks worrying. It may end up being a great projector but the price kills it completely IMO.
post #107 of 398 Old 06-11-2018, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocklee View Post
Yeah definitely not at that price for 0.47! I wouldn't bank on projector central as they've been inaccurate regarding LG projectors before. The mirror design looks worrying. It may end up being a great projector but the price kills it completely IMO.
Really? Hmm . . . I think the price point for a laser 4k projector is excellent. I also think some make way too much of a deal between the 0.47 and 0.66. The early reviews by projectorpeople and Robert Zohn seem very good. I waiting for some other reviews, but the early indications are that the projector is one of the best in the price category.
post #108 of 398 Old 06-11-2018, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Those that use the mirror regularly are not on this or any video forum. They just want something they can pull out of the closet on Saturday night, drop it on the coffee table, and show wireless Netflix on the wall or temp screen. I will probably use it that way except it will normally be in my video room on the table between my recliners. Will feel better about it though if I could get it for about $800 less.

Jack
post #109 of 398 Old 06-11-2018, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Really? Hmm . . . I think the price point for a laser 4k projector is excellent. I also think some make way too much of a deal between the 0.47 and 0.66. The early reviews by projectorpeople and Robert Zohn seem very good. I waiting for some other reviews, but the early indications are that the projector is one of the best in the price category.
It's still a 0.47 DMD chipset projecting faux 4K and using a mirror from a distance further than a UST, I'm skeptical about how it can perform.
post #110 of 398 Old 06-11-2018, 07:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It's still a 0.47 DMD chipset projecting faux 4K and using a mirror from a distance further than a UST, I'm skeptical about how it can perform.
Read my post right above.

Jack
post #111 of 398 Old 06-11-2018, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
Read my post right above.
Then the next question would be, why mirror? It is because it can be flipped up and down to shift the image vertically? What about horizontally and trapezoid adjustments? How much would having a mirror there degrade the quality of the picture from that far of a distance? It's an interesting concept but the more I think about it the more I think about further challenges with it.
post #112 of 398 Old 06-12-2018, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Then the next question would be, why mirror? It is because it can be flipped up and down to shift the image vertically? What about horizontally and trapezoid adjustments? How much would having a mirror there degrade the quality of the picture from that far of a distance? It's an interesting concept but the more I think about it the more I think about further challenges with it.
The mirror is only there for two purposes:

1. It allows for a very flexible and quick setup where complete picture fidelity is not necessary. Think of a living room with either a drop down screen, a portable screen(I currently use one for my LR watching and it works great), or blank wall where the family is watching a Saturday night movie. Pull it out of the closet, set it on the coffee table, flip the mirror up, and adjust, zoom and focus till the picture basically fits the screen. Use the wi-fi and built-in speakers for Netflix and you can keep everyone transfixed for two hours. Add wireless HDMI and you can use your audio system if you have one. The family, especially the kids, doesn't care about that last 10% of picture quality that us fanatics on this forum do.

2. Carry this into a classroom, office, boardroom, etc., and project in less than a minute with 4K if needed.

I suspect, but don't know for a fact, that the mirror somehow handles keystone inherently. That would be interesting to know how they do it if, in fact, it does.

Those of us on this forum who want the best picture quality won't use the mirror. We'll just take a little extra time to set up a direct view mounting.

Jack
post #113 of 398 Old 06-12-2018, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Don't use the mirror. From the preliminary reviews, I'm not sure what sub-$3000 projector will throw a better image. I'd like a comparison between the LG 4k and the Epson 5040. The Epson has 3D. The LG has speakers and apps. If the LG reviews continue to be good, it might be a good alternative to the problem-plagued Epson model.

Last edited by ricwhite; 06-12-2018 at 11:17 AM.
post #114 of 398 Old 06-12-2018, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Don't use the mirror. From the preliminary reviews, I'm not sure what sub-$3000 projector will throw a better image. I'd like a comparison between the LG 4k and the Epson 5040. The Epson has 3D. The LG has speakers and apps. If the LG reviews continue to be good, it might be a good alternative to the problem-plagued Epson model.
Not a good comparison. The LG is laser the Epson bulb.

Jack
post #115 of 398 Old 06-12-2018, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Not a good comparison. The LG is laser the Epson bulb.

Right . . . You can compare a laser projector to a bulb projector for basic image quality. They will certainly have different nuances, just like those that use a color wheel and those that don't. People compare different types of projectors all the time - they HAVE to. If you're in the market for a home theater projector under $3000, you will likely be forced to compare projectors of different types.
post #116 of 398 Old 06-12-2018, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Right . . . You can compare a laser projector to a bulb projector for basic image quality. They will certainly have different nuances, just like those that use a color wheel and those that don't. People compare different types of projectors all the time - they HAVE to. If you're in the market for a home theater projector under $3000, you will likely be forced to compare projectors of different types.
I have owned projectors starting in 1992. All types; early lcds, three tube CRTs, dlps, dilas, and an LED. The fact that my LED is as bright and the colors haven't moved since I bought it 3.5 years ago makes up for any difference in the basic image qualities that are argued on and on in these forums. Once you go to solid state light source, if I may call it that, you will never go back.

Jack
post #117 of 398 Old 06-12-2018, 08:09 PM

Quote:
The mirror is only there for two purposes:

1. It allows for a very flexible and quick setup where complete picture fidelity is not necessary. Think of a living room with either a drop down screen, a portable screen(I currently use one for my LR watching and it works great), or blank wall where the family is watching a Saturday night movie. Pull it out of the closet, set it on the coffee table, flip the mirror up, and adjust, zoom and focus till the picture basically fits the screen. Use the wi-fi and built-in speakers for Netflix and you can keep everyone transfixed for two hours. Add wireless HDMI and you can use your audio system if you have one. The family, especially the kids, doesn't care about that last 10% of picture quality that us fanatics on this forum do.

2. Carry this into a classroom, office, boardroom, etc., and project in less than a minute with 4K if needed.

I suspect, but don't know for a fact, that the mirror somehow handles keystone inherently. That would be interesting to know how they do it if, in fact, it does.

Those of us on this forum who want the best picture quality won't use the mirror. We'll just take a little extra time to set up a direct view mounting.
Your first point goes for any other ST projector, actually I think because of the mirror this LG should theoretically sit even closer to the wall based on a design that's similar to UST projectors. However, according to the specs:

150"@14.1ft, 100"@9.5ft, 40"@3.6ft

it still needs to be 3 metres away to project a 100" image, it would have been better if it was possible to get up even closer and project the same size. Either way, the 2500 lumens sounds promising and the built-in smart TV software sounds like several tiers above my LG TV.

As for the solid state vs bulb debate, there's no question solid state is better.
post #118 of 398 Old 06-12-2018, 09:20 PM

As I think through my layout with an HU80KA, I already know that it will be bolted to the ceiling using my existing universal mount, and I will not be using the mirror.

But, sadly, the HU80KA doesn't have analog input. I would have liked to have used the two speakers inside the HU80KA as "above" channel speakers. But I assume that the HU80KA will decode left/right from the HDMI cable. I don't see anything in the manual about being able to determine which channels from the HDMI cable go to the built-in speakers.

It would have been easy to run an analog cable up there, but there's no analog input. And according to the manual, the analog optical port is an output, not an input.

Scott
post #119 of 398 Old 06-12-2018, 09:22 PM

Since the HU80KA has an RGBYRGBY color wheel, I've been looking for more info about this. I found this Wikipedia article:

The opponent process is a color theory that states that the human visual system interprets information about color by processing signals from cones and rods in an antagonistic manner. The theory states that every color can be described as a mix along the three axes of red vs. green, blue vs. yellow and white vs. black. The six colors from the pairs might be called "psychological primary colors", because any other color could be described in terms of some combination of these pairs.

So in addition to all of the other A-vs-B reviews that we're waiting for, we can add RGB vs. RGBY vs. RGBYRGBY to the list...

Scott

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primar...ical_primaries
BattleAxeVR likes this.
post #120 of 398 Old 06-14-2018, 08:41 PM

LG's web site added a few more vendors:

https://www.lg.com/us/products/wtb?modelId=MD05909676

Those vendors don't seem to actually have them in-stock. Fry's says June 22.

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page