Epson 5050\6050 Rumors? - Page 18 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 345Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #511 of 866 Old 03-18-2019, 08:53 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 243
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsfan View Post
This Epson has my attention. BUT , after reading some threads over on AVFORUM, apparently dust blobs can still be an issue. Do any Epson models offer a sealed light path ?
(i live near open fields, hence i have dust issues)
None of their you UB series or their lower tier projectors have a sealed light path which scares me. I'm not sure if their laser projectors offer a sealed light path. That is a very good question. Even Sony's entry-level 45ES has a sealed light path. I'm not sure why Epson does not put sealed light paths in most of their projectors? How much extra would it add to the overall cost of the projector?
RadiantHT is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #512 of 866 Old 03-18-2019, 09:18 PM
Senior Member
 
cubsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: IL.
Posts: 218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 18
What are all the Epson owners doing to help keep dust blobs at bay ? I see over at AVFORUMS they mentioned having hepa air cleaners in their rooms. Any other suggestions ? Any way an end user can suck out the dust, with a mini-vac , in case dust blobs appear ? Thanks

Last edited by cubsfan; 03-18-2019 at 11:15 PM.
cubsfan is offline  
post #513 of 866 Old 03-18-2019, 11:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
WynsWrld98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 3,086
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsfan View Post
What are all the Epson owners doing to help keep dust blobs at bay ? I see over at AVFORUMS they mentioned having hepa air cleaners in their rooms. Any other suggestions ? Any way an end user can suck out the dust, with a mini-vac ? Thanks
I've had a 6010, 5030 and 5040 all as only TV in house no dust blobs in any of them. Never had any kind of air cleaner in the room and don't vacuum or dust nearly as much as I should.
WynsWrld98 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #514 of 866 Old 03-19-2019, 12:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Magnus_CA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,357
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantHT View Post
As much as I really like Epson projectors, I can not recommend the Epson 5050 over an entry level b-stock JVC in the same price range. JVC will have superior image quality, better shapness, better color saturation, better color accuracy, and much better contrast which creates a more in-depth immersive image.
Just as I can't recommend a JVC over a Sony or Epson for anyone that places a priority on low input lag for gaming. There's no perfect projector...we're fortunate to have a variety of devices to meet our varied applications.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Magnus_CA is offline  
post #515 of 866 Old 03-19-2019, 05:48 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 11,127
Mentioned: 620 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3832 Post(s)
Liked: 3635
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantHT View Post
I have used a JVC in a room with white walls and in a room with black walls in a basement. In both scenarios, the b stock JVC entry level four series showed a discernibly better picture quality than the Epson 5040. If you go to the 3000 and up forim and read the Epson vs JVC threads you will see this opinion shared by many others. The only people who continue to refuse this are people who have not owned both and seen both in their own room.
@carp compared a JVC RS600 and a Epson 5030UB in his room IIRC, and preferred the Epson for its brightness.

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric
Archaea is offline  
post #516 of 866 Old 03-19-2019, 06:05 AM
Aja
Member
 
Aja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsfan View Post
What are all the Epson owners doing to help keep dust blobs at bay ? I see over at AVFORUMS they mentioned having hepa air cleaners in their rooms. Any other suggestions ? Any way an end user can suck out the dust, with a mini-vac , in case dust blobs appear ? Thanks
Due to allergies I have a special air cleaning filter system in my HVAC system that is beyond HEPA in effectiveness. It requires occasional filter cleaning, but works as advertised.

Other HVAC manufactures have started to introduce competing systems so choice is possible.
Aja is offline  
post #517 of 866 Old 03-19-2019, 06:17 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 11,127
Mentioned: 620 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3832 Post(s)
Liked: 3635
Epson 5050\6050 Rumors?

That’s one of the big draws to DLP. No dust blobs.

The BenQ 9060HT as a refurb when available assuredly at around the $3k price point is of interest to me. I’m curious about this 5050UB because in a year it’ll be closer to $2k.

I’m also toying with the idea of a RS-540 for mid $3k range —- but feel if I’m gonna spend that much my choice outta be true 4k.

It just seems projectors are overpriced frankly.

You can get a 4k 85” Sony HDTV for $1800 or a 4k 65” OLED for the same money. It’s going to throw a better quality picture than a $3000 projector, no question, and probably has more parts/material cost. In comparison to those prices — projectors seem overpriced. Maybe the lens is what shoots the price up. Perhaps Epson or another player should make a projector where the lens can be interchangeable - instead of getting a new lens with every projector you can keep your lens, even upgrade it, and just swap out the rest of the hardware. Much like the camera world.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric

Last edited by Archaea; 03-19-2019 at 06:24 AM.
Archaea is offline  
post #518 of 866 Old 03-19-2019, 06:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
blipszyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 2,815
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Does anyone remember what happened to the pricing of the 5030 when the 5040 was released? Did supply dry up immediately, or was it still possible to get the older model at a discount? Do you think the same will happen with the 5040 at the end of March?

A 5040 would suit me just fine (and I would get an extended warranty), but don't need the PJ right now. Would likely try to pick up a new 5040 around August, if they're still around.

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)
4.0 - TBD
blipszyc is offline  
post #519 of 866 Old 03-19-2019, 07:38 AM
Member
 
bcg27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: MD
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by blipszyc View Post
Does anyone remember what happened to the pricing of the 5030 when the 5040 was released? Did supply dry up immediately, or was it still possible to get the older model at a discount? Do you think the same will happen with the 5040 at the end of March?

A 5040 would suit me just fine (and I would get an extended warranty), but don't need the PJ right now. Would likely try to pick up a new 5040 around August, if they're still around.
I don't know about pricing but I doubt the bulb rebate will still be around which would need a 2-300 dollar price drop to make up for it. Maybe see what the 4000 pricing did when the 4010 was released.
bcg27 is offline  
post #520 of 866 Old 03-19-2019, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 10,117
Mentioned: 684 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3536 Post(s)
Liked: 3279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
@carp compared a JVC RS600 and a Epson 5030UB in his room IIRC, and preferred the Epson for its brightness.
@Archaea

5040, not 5030.

I've had JVC's in my room on two separate occasions. The first time I compared a professionally calibrated rs500 vs a 5040 and when calibrated I liked the rs500 better due to better blacks (although it wasn't as big of a difference as you would think). However... here is the thing - I didn't like either one of them when calibrated. They were both too dark and I would never watch them like that so it was kind of a wash.

Fast forward a year and I found a great deal on a rs600. Unfortunately it was damaged in shipping so I had to return it but the damage was all cosmetic and the dealer told me I could try it out for awhile while we sorted out the claim with UPS. So, I assumed I would like the 600 better and would soon put the 5040 in the classifieds. I tried every video setting possible including many gamma settings recommended by owners of the JVC's but I just couldn't get it to look as good to my eyes as the Epson.

The JVC is indeed brighter when both are calibrated but since that is irrelevant to me, what really matters is if the JVC has a mode that is as bright as Epsons "Bright Cinema" mode and I just couldn't re-create that with the JVC.

IMO bright cinema right out of the box looks better than any of the user settings on the Epson 5040 thread (ha, and I've tried them all I bet) and it also looks better than anything I could get out of the JVC. To my eyes bright cinema maintains very acceptable blacks (even compared to a calibrated JVC) and the colors still look great while at the same time easily giving me all the brightness I would want on a 12' 3" wide scope screen. The image just really pops, even beyond 2000 lamp hours.

I also liked the tack like sharpness of the Epson compared to the more filmlike look of the JVC, movement looks better/more natural to me on the Epson, and the down time between switching sources on the JVC is ridiculous prompting my wife to ask me if I broke it when I switched sources.

I know I'm an outlier and even though there are others on the forum I have found that like Bright Cinema out of the box better than anything else, I really don't care about that. I could be the only person on earth with these preferences and that's all that matters to me since it's my eyes.
carp is offline  
post #521 of 866 Old 03-19-2019, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DavidK442's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 1,671
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
@Archaea

IMO bright cinema right out of the box looks better than any of the user settings on the Epson 5040 thread (ha, and I've tried them all I bet) and it also looks better than anything I could get out of the JVC. To my eyes bright cinema maintains very acceptable blacks (even compared to a calibrated JVC) and the colors still look great while at the same time easily giving me all the brightness I would want on a 12' 3" wide scope screen. The image just really pops, even beyond 2000 lamp hours.

I also liked the tack like sharpness of the Epson compared to the more filmlike look of the JVC, movement looks better/more natural to me on the Epson, and the down time between switching sources on the JVC is ridiculous prompting my wife to ask me if I broke it when I switched sources.
A hands on, direct comparison perspective that is relevant to most of us in the real world. Thanks for the counterpoint.
carp likes this.
DavidK442 is offline  
post #522 of 866 Old 03-19-2019, 11:59 AM
Senior Member
 
Ryansboston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 284
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
You can get a 4k 85” Sony HDTV for $1800 or a 4k 65” OLED for the same money.

Oh man. I've been so out of the loop with big TV pricing. Sorry to be off-topic but where can you get a 4k 85” Sony HDTV for $1800? Feel free to PM me.

Buy my awesome gear so I can buy more awesome gear! ...please...
Will get around to listing soon, PM me if interested: barely used Crest Audio CC4000 Amplifier, Crown XTI 2002 Amplifier, barely used Emotiva Basx A-500 Amplifier
Ryansboston is offline  
post #523 of 866 Old 03-19-2019, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JewDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, GA
Posts: 1,300
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 177
So just to be clear, has it pretty much been confirmed that there will be no FI available with a native 4K source on the Epson 5050?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JewDaddy is offline  
post #524 of 866 Old 03-19-2019, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 11,127
Mentioned: 620 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3832 Post(s)
Liked: 3635
Epson 5050\6050 Rumors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryansboston View Post
Oh man. I've been so out of the loop with big TV pricing. Sorry to be off-topic but where can you get a 4k 85” Sony HDTV for $1800? Feel free to PM me.


Doh

I skimmed slickdeals today and mixed it up.

82” Samsung for $1800
https://slickdeals.net/f/12937945-sa...src=SiteSearch

85” Sony for $2300
https://slickdeals.net/f/12885637-so...src=SiteSearch

65” OLED for $1800
https://slickdeals.net/f/12936154-65...src=SiteSearch

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric

Last edited by Archaea; 03-19-2019 at 11:46 PM.
Archaea is offline  
post #525 of 866 Old 03-19-2019, 02:26 PM
Senior Member
 
jjwinterberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 330
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post
I don't understand the comment 4K provides no benefit for front projectors unless at ridiculously close distances. Is it due to many 4K sources using 2K digital intermediates? And if true why are manufacturers pursuing 8K? I can understand the statement for a 55" flat screen but doesn't make sense to me for a 120"+ diagonal image from a true 4K signal (e.g., 4K digital intermediate). What am I missing?
It's because your eye's resolving capability is not sufficient to see the pixel structure unless you are at an unusually close viewing distance. A simple relationship for 4K material on a 16x9 screen is that if your viewing distance is greater then half the screen diagonal in inches then you cannot resolve the individual pixels.


For example I have a 120" screen and if I view from further back than 5 feet from the screen I cannot see the pixel structure. If I were projecting an 8K image the pixels would be even smaller and I would be able to view at 2.5 feet and just resolve the pixel structure. You can imagine how awkward it would be to sit that close to a screen. For my 5040 I sit about 6 feet back from my 120" screen and the combination of immersion and video resolution is quite good.
jjwinterberg is offline  
post #526 of 866 Old 03-19-2019, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MidnightWatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: The Great White North
Posts: 5,497
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by JewDaddy View Post
So just to be clear, has it pretty much been confirmed that there will be no FI available with a native 4K source on the Epson 5050?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is what I like about 1080p on the 5030. FI on the low setting looks great imho for movies. I really want Epson to enable this for a 4K source.
WynsWrld98 likes this.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photos Of My Theater | Vero 4K | Epson 5030UB + Peerless PRG-UNV | 100" EluneVision Reference 4K Screen | Onkyo TX-NR555 @ 5.2.2 | 4 x ADX Maximus w/ Dayton Audio SA230 | Polk Audio RTi A9 + CSi A6 + OWM3 + Micca M8C + SVS PC2000 | 40" HDTV w/ Z83V Mini PC + MoviePosterApp | Z83V + DietPi FTP Server + 3 x 8TB HDDs + 4 x DLink DHP-701AV
MidnightWatcher is online now  
post #527 of 866 Old 03-19-2019, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member
 
Superman2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 525
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Epson 5050\6050 Rumors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Doh

I skimmed slickdeals today and mixed it up.

82” Samsung for $1800
https://slickdeals.net/f/12937945-sa...src=SiteSearch

85” Sony for $2300
https://slickdeals.net/f/12885637-so...src=SiteSearch

85in is soooo small.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WynsWrld98 and Dirk504 like this.
Superman2 is offline  
post #528 of 866 Old 03-19-2019, 04:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
WynsWrld98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 3,086
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwinterberg View Post
It's because your eye's resolving capability is not sufficient to see the pixel structure unless you are at an unusually close viewing distance. A simple relationship for 4K material on a 16x9 screen is that if your viewing distance is greater then half the screen diagonal in inches then you cannot resolve the individual pixels.


For example I have a 120" screen and if I view from further back than 5 feet from the screen I cannot see the pixel structure. If I were projecting an 8K image the pixels would be even smaller and I would be able to view at 2.5 feet and just resolve the pixel structure. You can imagine how awkward it would be to sit that close to a screen. For my 5040 I sit about 6 feet back from my 120" screen and the combination of immersion and video resolution is quite good.
Then 4K for flat screens is a complete joke!
WynsWrld98 is offline  
post #529 of 866 Old 03-19-2019, 09:48 PM
Advanced Member
 
mhutchins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 949
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 232
^^^^
Yes, it is!!

On the other hand, it is the other things that come with 4K that make it desirable, such as High Dynamic Range, Wide Color Gamut, improved contrast and improved color mapping out of the box. If 4K was only about the number of pixels without all the REAL benefits of the UHD spec, nobody would care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwinterberg View Post
It's because your eye's resolving capability is not sufficient to see the pixel structure unless you are at an unusually close viewing distance. A simple relationship for 4K material on a 16x9 screen is that if your viewing distance is greater then half the screen diagonal in inches then you cannot resolve the individual pixels.

For example I have a 120" screen and if I view from further back than 5 feet from the screen I cannot see the pixel structure. If I were projecting an 8K image the pixels would be even smaller and I would be able to view at 2.5 feet and just resolve the pixel structure. You can imagine how awkward it would be to sit that close to a screen. For my 5040 I sit about 6 feet back from my 120" screen and the combination of immersion and video resolution is quite good.
Yes, within these screen distance ratios, It's all about the quality of the pixels, and not how many pixels you have beyond 1080P. Having said that, there are a few special circumstances where the eye can perceive better than expected from the above examples. The best example is when there is a straight line in the image that is rotated slightly from true horizontal or true vertical. The line will be seen as jagged and is caused by the abrupt step that occurs when the line transitions to the next row or column of pixels needed to display the solid line.


Mike
mhutchins is online now  
post #530 of 866 Old 03-19-2019, 10:31 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 243
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Doh

I skimmed slickdeals today and mixed it up.

82” Samsung for $1800
https://slickdeals.net/f/12937945-sa...src=SiteSearch

85” Sony for $2300
https://slickdeals.net/f/12885637-so...src=SiteSearch
Those prices are way off. I knew that as soon as I saw your previous post.
ng4ever likes this.
RadiantHT is offline  
post #531 of 866 Old 03-20-2019, 07:23 AM
Member
 
rbk123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
However... here is the thing - I didn't like either one of them when calibrated. They were both too dark and I would never watch them like that so it was kind of a wash.
I had a similar experience when using Harpervision/Orcus/Neilvm's calibrated settings, however when I bumped up brightness (from 51 to 60), it solved my too dark problem and the image was far superior (to me) vs. the default Epson settings.

In addition, the Orcus settings use Cinema mode while Neilvm's uses "Natural" and when flipping between the settings Neil's image is brighter/has more pop. However, I've noticed some movies look better on Orcus' Cinema based settings and others look better on Neil's, so I switch based on the content since it's so easy due to all the memory slots.

Last edited by rbk123; 03-20-2019 at 10:02 AM.
rbk123 is offline  
post #532 of 866 Old 03-20-2019, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 10,117
Mentioned: 684 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3536 Post(s)
Liked: 3279
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk123 View Post
I had a similar experience when using Harpervision/Orcus/Neilvm's calibrated settings, however when I bumped up brightness (from 51 to 60), it solved my too dark problem and the image was far superior (to me) vs. the default Epson settings.

In addition, the Orcus settings use Cinema mode while Neilvm's uses Direct and when flipping between the settings Neil's image is brighter/has more pop. However, I've noticed some movies look better on Orcus' Cinema based settings and others look better on Neil's, so I switch based on the content since it's so easy due to all the memory slots.

When you say, "superior vs. the default Epson settings" are you referring to the Digital Cinema mode?

I've tried using Harpervision many times (and oledurt's settings and many others) but if they don't use "bright cinema" they just look too dull no matter how much I mess with the brightness. I have the Panasonic 900 with the adjustable dynamic range slider for HDR so I can set the brightness on the fly very easily, it's a nice feature.

I think it's the size of my screen combined with personal preferences, because for me nothing is as good as Bright Cinema.

I know that I don't get the wide color gamut when using bright cinema but it doesn't seem to matter, to my eyes the colors still look great they are just a lot more vivid.
carp is offline  
post #533 of 866 Old 03-20-2019, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
blake18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,081
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsfan View Post
This Epson has my attention. BUT , after reading some threads over on AVFORUM, apparently dust blobs can still be an issue. Do any Epson models offer a sealed light path ?
(i live near open fields, hence i have dust issues)
None of them are fully sealed, you'd be well advised to buy a nice air filter that drastically reduces dust in the air. That's what I did when I upgraded to my current 5030UB, not a single dust blob issue.

Lumenlab "Community driven video lab".
blake18 is offline  
post #534 of 866 Old 03-20-2019, 10:01 AM
Member
 
rbk123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
When you say, "superior vs. the default Epson settings" are you referring to the Digital Cinema mode?
vs. any of the default settings. I'm not in front of my projector now but all of the ones that come up when you hit the color mode button.

Have you tried Neilvm's settings? At least for SDR, his begin with a brighter setting by starting with color mode "Natural".
Post #16483 has his: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...hread-548.html

But I did still have to up the brightness to 60.
rbk123 is offline  
post #535 of 866 Old 03-20-2019, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 10,117
Mentioned: 684 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3536 Post(s)
Liked: 3279
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk123 View Post
vs. any of the default settings. I'm not in front of my projector now but all of the ones that come up when you hit the color mode button.

Have you tried Neilvm's settings? At least for SDR, his begin with a brighter setting by starting with color mode "Natural".
Post #16483 has his: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...hread-548.html

But I did still have to up the brightness to 60.
I have not, but I will - thanks.
carp is offline  
post #536 of 866 Old 03-20-2019, 11:33 AM
Member
 
rbk123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
I have not, but I will - thanks.
It just occurred to me to try Orcus' settings starting with Natural (instead of Cinema) and see how that looks. I'll give that a go as well when I get a chance.
rbk123 is offline  
post #537 of 866 Old 03-20-2019, 11:36 AM
Senior Member
 
cubsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: IL.
Posts: 218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake18 View Post
None of them are fully sealed, you'd be well advised to buy a nice air filter that drastically reduces dust in the air. That's what I did when I upgraded to my current 5030UB, not a single dust blob issue.
did you just buy a better hvac filter , or a separate air filter unit ? If separate , any recommendations ?
cubsfan is offline  
post #538 of 866 Old 03-20-2019, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
FendersRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northwest
Posts: 1,763
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I used to run a dust filter in the TV room, but it got super expensive because they gouge you on the filters.

I haven't had a dust blob in 8 years of use.
FendersRule is offline  
post #539 of 866 Old 03-21-2019, 04:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JewDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, GA
Posts: 1,300
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Epson 5050\6050 Rumors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightWatcher View Post
This is what I like about 1080p on the 5030. FI on the low setting looks great imho for movies. I really want Epson to enable this for a 4K source.


It’s frustrating because the Optoma UHD 65 allows FI with a 4K source and that is a less expensive projector than the 5050 will be when it’s released. Epson did something similar to this before. I remember owning the 5020 and being upset because they didn’t allow FI when watching a 3D source. Then the 5030 came out and VOILA! FI in 3D. Their first 4K pixel shifting projector comes out (5040) and you don’t get FI with a 4K source. You would think the 5050 would correct this just like the 5030 did. For what they’re more than likely going to charge for the 5050, there’s no reason this feature shouldn’t be available.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WynsWrld98 likes this.

JewDaddy is offline  
post #540 of 866 Old 03-21-2019, 05:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Luminated67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 1,040
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 664 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by JewDaddy View Post
It’s frustrating because the Optoma UHD 65 allows FI with a 4K source and that is a less expensive projector than the 5050 will be when it’s released.
So am I right to assume FI with 4K is more important to you than a decent contrast level or accurate colour matching with HDR? (j/k)

I've yet to use FI on 1080P source material so can't really say if it's a negative point not having it on 4K.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)
Luminated67 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off