Epson 5050\6050 Rumors? - Page 19 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 345Likes

post #541 of 866 Old 03-21-2019, 06:42 AM
Aja

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by FendersRule View Post
I used to run a dust filter in the TV room, but it got super expensive because they gouge you on the filters.

I haven't had a dust blob in 8 years of use.
I know what you mean about the cost of filters. My air filtering system was installed in the house HVAC system. It cost quite a bit up front, but filters do not need to be replaced. It has 4 filters that are designed to last many, many years. 3 of the filters should be cleaned by spraying a garden house on them on a monthly basis. The 4th requires the same type of cleaning, but every 6 months. It is critical that each of the filters be completely dry before reinstalling. I installed this system due to allergy problems, but a side benefit is the near elimination of dust. It probably would not make sense to install one of these solely to eliminate dust, but if one also has allergies, it can be a dual win with respect to health and dust globs <grin>. There are other much less expensive options, but if one has severe allergies this solution might make sense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 866 Old 03-21-2019, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by JewDaddy View Post
It’s frustrating because the Optoma UHD 65 allows FI with a 4K source and that is a less expensive projector than the 5050 will be when it’s released. Epson did something similar to this before. I remember owning the 5020 and being upset because they didn’t allow FI when watching a 3D source. Then the 5030 came out and VOILA! FI in 3D. Their first 4K pixel shifting projector comes out (5040) and you don’t get FI with a 4K source. You would think the 5050 would correct this just like the 5030 did. For what they’re more than likely going to charge for the 5050, there’s no reason this feature shouldn’t be available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly. Plus the competing JVC projectors allow FI with 4K signals.
post #543 of 866 Old 03-21-2019, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
@Archaea

5040, not 5030.

I've had JVC's in my room on two separate occasions. The first time I compared a professionally calibrated rs500 vs a 5040 and when calibrated I liked the rs500 better due to better blacks (although it wasn't as big of a difference as you would think). However... here is the thing - I didn't like either one of them when calibrated. They were both too dark and I would never watch them like that so it was kind of a wash.

Fast forward a year and I found a great deal on a rs600. Unfortunately it was damaged in shipping so I had to return it but the damage was all cosmetic and the dealer told me I could try it out for awhile while we sorted out the claim with UPS. So, I assumed I would like the 600 better and would soon put the 5040 in the classifieds. I tried every video setting possible including many gamma settings recommended by owners of the JVC's but I just couldn't get it to look as good to my eyes as the Epson.

The JVC is indeed brighter when both are calibrated but since that is irrelevant to me, what really matters is if the JVC has a mode that is as bright as Epsons "Bright Cinema" mode and I just couldn't re-create that with the JVC.

IMO bright cinema right out of the box looks better than any of the user settings on the Epson 5040 thread (ha, and I've tried them all I bet) and it also looks better than anything I could get out of the JVC. To my eyes bright cinema maintains very acceptable blacks (even compared to a calibrated JVC) and the colors still look great while at the same time easily giving me all the brightness I would want on a 12' 3" wide scope screen. The image just really pops, even beyond 2000 lamp hours.

I also liked the tack like sharpness of the Epson compared to the more filmlike look of the JVC, movement looks better/more natural to me on the Epson, and the down time between switching sources on the JVC is ridiculous prompting my wife to ask me if I broke it when I switched sources.

I know I'm an outlier and even though there are others on the forum I have found that like Bright Cinema out of the box better than anything else, I really don't care about that. I could be the only person on earth with these preferences and that's all that matters to me since it's my eyes.
I wholeheartedly concur with most of your post. However, I am a stickler for color accuracy. Upon purchase, I could immediately see bright cinema mode had a bit too much red and dynamic mode had too much green. With that being said, I really enjoyed bright cinema mode.

When I moved up to a JVC six series, I was initially impressed by the more refined image quality with the JVC. However that excitement dissipated over time. I could not get used to the much dimmer image with the JVC so I sold it. My hope is the 5050UB has a bit better color accuracy in bright cinema mode and a incremental increase in contrast. If it can meet those goals I will be a very happy owner.

Last edited by RadiantHT; 03-21-2019 at 07:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #544 of 866 Old 03-21-2019, 02:32 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantHT View Post
I wholeheartedly concur with most of your post. Howwver, I am a stickler for color accuracy. Upon purchase, I could immediately see bright cinema mode had a bit too much red and dynamic mode had too much green. With that being said, I really enjoyed bright cinema mode.

When I moved up to a JVC six series, I was initially impressed by the more refined image quality with the JVC. However that excitement dissipated over time. I could not get used to the much dimmer image with the JVC so I sold it. My hope is the 5050UB has a bit better color accuracy in bright cinema mode and a incremental increase in contrast. If it can meet those goals I will be a very happy owner.
Natural is the most accurate for SDR (rec709). Our of the box or for building a SDR calibration from.

Bright Cinema doesn't engage the filter which is why it is brighter than Cinema or Digital Cinema which do (go Epson for confusing naming conventions), these are better modes to build a HDR setting for colour accuracy of Rec2020/DCI P3

I actually found with the filter engaged it was difficult to get it calibrated with a meter for Rec709, which thinking about it makes sense as trying to squash a wide color gamut back down would be tough!

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Sound - Marantz SR6011 (pre/atmos), Yamaha Z9, Mirage Om-6's, Om-C2's, 6x Om-R2's, 4x Nanosat (atmos), Dual Paradigim Servo 15's
Additional - MiniDSP : DDRC-88a, 2x4HD
Source -Panasonic DP-UB420, Toshiba HD-XE1, Sony SCD-XE620
Vision - Epson TW9400, eecolour Lut Box, 120" Spitfire Acoustically Transparent Screen
post #545 of 866 Old 03-21-2019, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 672 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked: 3196
Quote:
I wholeheartedly concur with most of your post. Howwver, I am a stickler for color accuracy. Upon purchase, I could immediately see bright cinema mode had a bit too much red and dynamic mode had too much green. With that being said, I really enjoyed bright cinema mode.

I noticed right away that dynamic looked bad with too much green. However, my eyes don't notice too much red on bright cinema. I don't think I'll be upgrading my projector until there is a major leap in contrast/brightness that can actually take advantage of HDR like a flat panel can now. I think that will be many years. Anything short of that just doesn't like enough of a reason to make a change to me.. as of now anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaric View Post
Natural is the most accurate for SDR (rec709). Our of the box or for building a SDR calibration from.

Bright Cinema doesn't engage the filter which is why it is brighter than Cinema or Digital Cinema which do (go Epson for confusing naming conventions), these are better modes to build a HDR setting for colour accuracy of Rec2020/DCI P3

I actually found with the filter engaged it was difficult to get it calibrated with a meter for Rec709, which thinking about it makes sense as trying to squash a wide color gamut back down would be tough!

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

My calibrator told me that when I first bought the 5040, that natural had the best settings for calibrating SDR but I can't describe what it is I don't like about it compared to bright cinema and I sure didn't like it when it was calibrated.
post #546 of 866 Old 03-21-2019, 09:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I hope it's just a placeholder... and price will be lower when it's going to be released
https://www.projectorscreen.com/epso...00-lumens.html
post #547 of 866 Old 03-21-2019, 09:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikero View Post
I hope it's just a placeholder... and price will be lower when it's going to be released
I hope it's not all white. At least let the front be black, like the 5030UB.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photos Of My Theater | Vero 4K | Epson 5030UB + Peerless PRG-UNV | 100" EluneVision Reference 4K Screen | Onkyo TX-NR555 @ 5.2.2 | 4 x ADX Maximus w/ Dayton Audio SA230 | Polk Audio RTi A9 + CSi A6 + OWM3 + Micca M8C + SVS PC2000 | 40" HDTV w/ Z83V Mini PC + MoviePosterApp | Z83V + DietPi FTP Server + 2 x 8TB HDDs + 4 x DLink DHP-701AV
post #548 of 866 Old 03-21-2019, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
I noticed right away that dynamic looked bad with too much green. However, my eyes don't notice too much red on bright cinema. I don't think I'll be upgrading my projector until there is a major leap in contrast/brightness that can actually take advantage of HDR like a flat panel can now. I think that will be many years. Anything short of that just doesn't like enough of a reason to make a change to me.. as of now anyway.

My calibrator told me that when I first bought the 5040, that natural had the best settings for calibrating SDR but I can't describe what it is I don't like about it compared to bright cinema and I sure didn't like it when it was calibrated.
Though I know natural has better color accuracy out of the box in comparison to bright cinema, I also disliked natural mode. It just seems dull in comparison to Bright Cinema. I also preferred my picture uncalibrated on the Epson 5040. Calibration just seems to take the life out of it's brilliantly bright image.
carp likes this.
post #549 of 866 Old 03-22-2019, 06:29 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Looks like they copy/pasted the 5040’s specs.
post #550 of 866 Old 03-22-2019, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex512 View Post
Looks like they copy/pasted the 5040’s specs.
If there has been no upgrade to the lens and it is not native 4K, it will be hard for me to justify the price difference between the 5040 and the 5050 at $2,000 compared to $3,000.

Last edited by RadiantHT; 03-22-2019 at 07:27 AM.
post #551 of 866 Old 03-22-2019, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
That price has been mentioned several times in this thread. It seems pretty likely that will be MSRP at release.
post #552 of 866 Old 03-22-2019, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Here's a review of the Epson TW9400:

http://www.passionhomecinema.fr/blog...is-de-gregory/
post #553 of 866 Old 03-22-2019, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post

In a nutshell, the Epson 5050 has better brightness and contrast than the 5040, but still fails to offer 4K frame interpolation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photos Of My Theater | Vero 4K | Epson 5030UB + Peerless PRG-UNV | 100" EluneVision Reference 4K Screen | Onkyo TX-NR555 @ 5.2.2 | 4 x ADX Maximus w/ Dayton Audio SA230 | Polk Audio RTi A9 + CSi A6 + OWM3 + Micca M8C + SVS PC2000 | 40" HDTV w/ Z83V Mini PC + MoviePosterApp | Z83V + DietPi FTP Server + 2 x 8TB HDDs + 4 x DLink DHP-701AV
post #554 of 866 Old 03-22-2019, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If there has been no upgrade to the lens and it is not native 4K, it will be hard for me to justify the price difference between the 5040 and the 5050 at $2,000 compared to $3,000.
The spread is even wider considering Epson is offering a free lamp with the 5040.
post #555 of 866 Old 03-22-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post

Glad to see the improvements I was anticipating between the 9300 and the 9400. However that website's testing is ultra-conservative. Their lumens and contrast measurements are always much lower than other professional testers online.

Last edited by RadiantHT; 03-22-2019 at 11:59 AM.
post #556 of 866 Old 03-22-2019, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminated67 View Post
So am I right to assume FI with 4K is more important to you than a decent contrast level or accurate colour matching with HDR? (j/k)

I've yet to use FI on 1080P source material so can't really say if it's a negative point not having it on 4K.

Ha! Well, it’s not more important but for an avid FI enthusiast as myself, it’s as important.

Give it a shot and see what you think. Most people either love it or hate it. You can watch a blu-day or 4K blu Ray as long as your player is set to output 1080p. But, as long as it’s a 24p source, you can activate 4K enhancement as well as FI at the same time. Try it on all the settings and let me know what you think. I’d be anxious to hear your opinion.

post #557 of 866 Old 03-22-2019, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightWatcher View Post
In a nutshell, the Epson 5050 has better brightness and contrast than the 5040, but still fails to offer 4K frame interpolation.

Ugh! So disappointing! There’s no reason why FI isn’t allowed with a 4K source.

post #558 of 866 Old 03-22-2019, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
I am trying to figure out if it is worth it to buy the eventually released 5050UB or just go with the 5040UB as my upgrade. I currently have a Panasonic AE-4000U 1080P projector. I have a 106" screen and the projector is 19 feet from the screen. Since my distance is so far, will I get any real improvement with the 5050 over the 5040?

-----------------------------
Est Sularus oth Mitha
post #559 of 866 Old 03-22-2019, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewDaddy View Post
Ugh! So disappointing! There’s no reason why FI isn’t allowed with a 4K source.

I wonder if it could be added via a firmware update? All I want is the low FI setting for 4K.
WynsWrld98 likes this.

post #560 of 866 Old 03-22-2019, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I wonder if it could be added via a firmware update? All I want is the low FI setting for 4K.

I believe that’s been asked before for the 5040 and it wasn’t something simple enough for a firmware upgrade. Sure would be nice if it was. I sort of understand that feature being left out of the 5040 but there’s no excuse that it’s not included on the upcoming 5050.

WynsWrld98 likes this.

post #561 of 866 Old 03-22-2019, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Excuse my ignorance, but why if FI so important? And why is it a dealbreaker?
scottyroo likes this.
post #562 of 866 Old 03-22-2019, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Hindman View Post
Excuse my ignorance, but why if FI so important? And why is it a dealbreaker?

Personal preferences.... it’s a polarizing topic

"The Bunker" | Dedicated Theater Build Under Suspended Slab Garage
Testing: BenQ HT5550 | Epson 5050UB | 160" Dragonfly™ Fixed AT Screen
Denon X6300H | 9.4.4 (7.2.4 Discrete) | 9x Episode 900 Series LCR/Surrounds | 4x Episode 1700 Series ATMOS Heights | 4x Episode 12" Evo Subs
Sony X700 | Xbox One X | NVIDIA Shield TV
post #563 of 866 Old 03-23-2019, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

The way I understand the reason FI is not available with a 4K signal, is processing speed. Frame interpolation requires 120 hz frame rates (to do the "extra" frame for interpolation). With a 4K image, there's just too much data to create another frame at 120 hz. 1080 images have 1/4 of the data (or less) than a 4K image. So, FI can be done with a 1080 image because the processor can keep up at 120 hz.

Make sense?
post #564 of 866 Old 03-23-2019, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Not just the data. Now with pixel shifting to render a single frame the projector have to project twice. Once with the normal pixels and then again with the shifted pixels. So in order to project 120 frames they actually have to do 240.

post #565 of 866 Old 03-23-2019, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to Blu-Boy in BKK
Watched John Wick 1&2 in 4K on my 9400 and all I can say is Holy Christ. It was absolutely stunning. Razor sharp, spot on colours and skin tones.
Watched Kong: Skull Island in 3D and it was beautiful. Again, skin tones were perfect (and I’m very sensitive to incorrect skin tones)
Kept 3D level to 0 in order to avoid any ghosting.
Star Trek Discovery on Netflix 4K looked magnificent, particularly the space scenes of which there are many.
jpolachak likes this.

Projector: Epson EH-TW9400UB | Screen: 100" | HDTV: LG 50PH660V 3D Plasma | BD Players: Panasonic DMP-UB400EBK | Pioneer BDP-450 (ABC) | Receivers: Denon AVR-X4400H & Denon PMA 520AE | Speakers: Jamo S636 HCS 7.0 & Onkyo SKH-410 x4 | Subwoofer: Wharfedale Diamond SW150 |
post #566 of 866 Old 03-23-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightBlade View Post
I am trying to figure out if it is worth it to buy the eventually released 5050UB or just go with the 5040UB as my upgrade. I currently have a Panasonic AE-4000U 1080P projector. I have a 106" screen and the projector is 19 feet from the screen. Since my distance is so far, will I get any real improvement with the 5050 over the 5040?
Anyone have an opinion? I understand so little that even personal opinions of others are more informed than me!

Est Sularus oth Mitha
post #567 of 866 Old 03-23-2019, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Anyone have an opinion? I understand so little that even personal opinions of others are more informed than me!
I think it's more about if you care about 18 GB HDMI (4K 60 Hz compatibility).
BrightBlade likes this.
post #568 of 866 Old 03-23-2019, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete ramberg View Post
The way I understand the reason FI is not available with a 4K signal, is processing speed. Frame interpolation requires 120 hz frame rates (to do the "extra" frame for interpolation). With a 4K image, there's just too much data to create another frame at 120 hz. 1080 images have 1/4 of the data (or less) than a 4K image. So, FI can be done with a 1080 image because the processor can keep up at 120 hz.

Make sense?
JVC allows FI with 4K signals.
post #569 of 866 Old 03-23-2019, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Quote:
I would suggest you read the thread from start to finish. Your question is answered many times over.

Jack
post #570 of 866 Old 03-23-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
I would suggest you read the thread from start to finish. Your question is answered many times over.
I have read all 569 entries, but it is nigh impossible to remember what every one of those 569 entries contained. Thanks for taking the time to post, though.

Est Sularus oth Mitha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page