Epson 5050\6050 Rumors? - Page 23 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 345Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #661 of 866 Old 03-27-2019, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member
 
Luminated67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 846
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ DOOM View Post
And mostly every review I read about a projector with a dynamic iris, they say it's distracting and they view content with it off. I've even read that in JVC and Sony projector threads. They only use the manual iris to clamp down light output and just rely on native contrast.
My point exactly dynamic iris is a bit of a gimmick in my opinion, mine is turned off and use the manual iris.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Radiator)
Luminated67 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #662 of 866 Old 03-27-2019, 03:45 PM
Senior Member
 
germanplumber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 221
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by caesar1969 View Post
FYI!
I should be getting the projector next week and I will post my quick review compared to my 5010UB on 160" Stewart grey screen 16:9 with lots of ambient light in the living room.

Please do. I'd love to get some action shots with lights on and off. Do you have darker colored walls? I have tan colored walls and wondering if I should go darker and paint before I get the projector.



I have a 160" 2.35:1 1.2 gain slate acoustically transparent screen and waiting to see how it will perform with a bright projector before I pull the trigger.
germanplumber is offline  
post #663 of 866 Old 03-27-2019, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JackB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Posts: 3,664
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1351 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminated67 View Post
Don’t assume a dynamic iris will improve your contrast because it doesn’t, you only really notice it when there’s a completely black scene.
Over the past few years on various threads I have made the point that the only place the dlp did poorly was on very dark scenes. If the 5550 auto iris only works well in this mode then it could be very good. The dlp contrast is great on normal scenes like in sports, news, documentaries, and sitcoms. My experience for my kind of viewing is that the very dark scenes represent less than 10% of the total.
scottyroo likes this.

Jack
JackB is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #664 of 866 Old 03-27-2019, 04:06 PM
Senior Member
 
xbladr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 293
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ DOOM View Post
Peerless-AV PRGS-UNV

Usually 100 bucks. But someone is selling them $15 shipped new on eBay.
Thanks I snagged one I have been using a cheap Amazon one and it moves with the fan practically (yes I'm exaggerating... Slightly). This will be a worthy upgrade. I wanted white but for 15 bucks I can't complain

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
xbladr is offline  
post #665 of 866 Old 03-27-2019, 04:58 PM
Senior Member
 
gooch02000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminated67 View Post
Right out of the box I personally think the Sony has better colours, but the Epson counters this with better blacks but where it really excels is it’s 4K & image enhancement as these two thing turn ordinary 1080p discs into works of art... though you really need a good disc for this to really shine. The other bonus is it’s ability to play UHD discs that make the image sing even more.

So yes it’s better but the Sony is still an amazing machine.
I see you have a 100 inch screen; I bet HDR looks great on that. I have a 165 at the moment. Most advice on this forum says that anything over 120 or 130 is too big for the proper nits/fL output to make HDR work for any projector (other than maybe the Sony 5000es and JVC RS-4500 etc. What say you?
gooch02000 is offline  
post #666 of 866 Old 03-27-2019, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member
 
scottyroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Happy Valley, Utah
Posts: 934
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooch02000 View Post
I see you have a 100 inch screen; I bet HDR looks great on that. I have a 165 at the moment. Most advice on this forum says that anything over 120 or 130 is too big for the proper nits/fL output to make HDR work for any projector (other than maybe the Sony 5000es and JVC RS-4500 etc. What say you?
I have a 160” screen. Having recently tested the BenQ HT3550, it is hands down the brightest implementation of HDR I have seen on a projector. Much better than the DLPs from last year and the Epson 4000 I tested which all dimmed the image considerably. I would argue that the HT3550 is actually brighter in its HDR mode due to its auto tone mapping.

"The Bunker" | Dedicated Theater Build Under Suspended Slab Garage
Testing: BenQ HT5550 | Epson 5050UB | 160" Dragonfly™ Fixed AT Screen
Denon X6300H | 9.4.4 (7.2.4 Discrete) | 9x Episode 900 Series LCR/Surrounds | 4x Episode 1700 Series ATMOS Heights | 4x Episode 12" Evo Subs
Sony X700 | Xbox One X | NVIDIA Shield TV
scottyroo is offline  
post #667 of 866 Old 03-27-2019, 05:08 PM
Senior Member
 
gooch02000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyroo View Post
I have a 160” screen. Having recently tested the BenQ HT3550, it is hands down the brightest implementation of HDR I have seen on a projector. Much better than the DLPs from last year and the Epson 4000 I tested which all dimmed the image considerably. I would argue that the HT3550 is actually brighter in its HDR mode due to its auto tone mapping.
Well that's very intriguing. I loved the sharpness and overall look of the image that my old 2050 threw, but its blacks were grey. Moving to the Sony was like seeing a projector again for the first time. That's why I've been very reluctant to make another jump. If I can't get great HDR on a big screen, then I'll just wait for cheaper laser projectors that can push 5k lumens or more.

I could warm up to the idea of going back to DLP if contrast was not noticeably worse than the Sony and blacks weren't terrible. If HDR is so great that it made up for it, then I'd totally do it since the 3550 is so much cheaper than anything else I'd consider.
gooch02000 is offline  
post #668 of 866 Old 03-27-2019, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
scottyroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Happy Valley, Utah
Posts: 934
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooch02000 View Post
Well that's very intriguing. I loved the sharpness and overall look of the image that my old 2050 threw, but its blacks were grey. Moving to the Sony was like seeing a projector again for the first time. That's why I've been very reluctant to make another jump. If I can't get great HDR on a big screen, then I'll just wait for cheaper laser projectors that can push 5k lumens or more.

I could warm up to the idea of going back to DLP if contrast was not noticeably worse than the Sony and blacks weren't terrible. If HDR is so great that it made up for it, then I'd totally do it since the 3550 is so much cheaper than anything else I'd consider.
You are on the right track and make a lot of great points. DLP isn't known for blacks, for sure. I posted at length where I feel this HT3550 fills a space in the market. Last year's DLP 4K projectors were really poor at blacks. VERY entry level stuff. What the HT3550 does is split the difference in blacks between last year's DLP crop and the Epsons. However, the HDR implementation is subjectively better on the BenQ so they trade blows a bit.

At any rate, I'll be getting my 5050UB in next Wednesday and the HT5550 in hopefully before that so I'll make sure to report back some real-time side by side comparison to help you out in your decision making.

"The Bunker" | Dedicated Theater Build Under Suspended Slab Garage
Testing: BenQ HT5550 | Epson 5050UB | 160" Dragonfly™ Fixed AT Screen
Denon X6300H | 9.4.4 (7.2.4 Discrete) | 9x Episode 900 Series LCR/Surrounds | 4x Episode 1700 Series ATMOS Heights | 4x Episode 12" Evo Subs
Sony X700 | Xbox One X | NVIDIA Shield TV
scottyroo is offline  
post #669 of 866 Old 03-27-2019, 05:24 PM
Senior Member
 
gooch02000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyroo View Post
You are on the right track and make a lot of great points. DLP isn't known for blacks, for sure. I posted at length where I feel this HT3550 fills a space in the market. Last year's DLP 4K projectors were really poor at blacks. VERY entry level stuff. What the HT3550 does is split the difference in blacks between last year's DLP crop and the Epsons. However, the HDR implementation is subjectively better on the BenQ so they trade blows a bit.

At any rate, I'll be getting my 5050UB in next Wednesday and the HT5550 in hopefully before that so I'll make sure to report back some real-time side by side comparison to help you out in your decision making.
Sounds great. I'll be staying tuned.
gooch02000 is offline  
post #670 of 866 Old 03-27-2019, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Out West
Posts: 828
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Just to refresh some memories, this is a side by side comparison the HC5040UB/UHD65/LX-UH1:


So an LCD-DLP with DB-DLP with DI showdown.
sage11x likes this.
DunMunro is online now  
post #671 of 866 Old 03-27-2019, 08:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
scottyroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Happy Valley, Utah
Posts: 934
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
Just to refresh some memories, this is a side by side comparison the HC5040UB/UHD65/LX-UH1:



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxAmeofTTag



So an LCD-DLP with DB-DLP with DI showdown.


I enjoyed this. Thanks for sharing. I drive by his shop almost every day.

"The Bunker" | Dedicated Theater Build Under Suspended Slab Garage
Testing: BenQ HT5550 | Epson 5050UB | 160" Dragonfly™ Fixed AT Screen
Denon X6300H | 9.4.4 (7.2.4 Discrete) | 9x Episode 900 Series LCR/Surrounds | 4x Episode 1700 Series ATMOS Heights | 4x Episode 12" Evo Subs
Sony X700 | Xbox One X | NVIDIA Shield TV
scottyroo is offline  
post #672 of 866 Old 03-27-2019, 08:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
blake18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,077
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
I dunno, see post 609, above. That's what I was seeing, a classic case of crushed blacks.
Dun,

Don't bother arguing with Blake as it's obvious he's too young to have had much experience.
Haha, I'm 34, pal, had plenty of experience, bud. 😉 As I stated before, it's a fact that 3LCD is superior to DLP in both colors and contrast.
Jets69 likes this.

Lumenlab "Community driven video lab".
blake18 is offline  
post #673 of 866 Old 03-27-2019, 08:38 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 243
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
Just to refresh some memories, this is a side by side comparison the HC5040UB/UHD65/LX-UH1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxAmeofTTag

So an LCD-DLP with DB-DLP with DI showdown.

No comparison unless you would even consider entry level DLP projectors with Sanyo TV black levels.

Last edited by RadiantHT; 03-27-2019 at 09:35 PM.
RadiantHT is offline  
post #674 of 866 Old 03-27-2019, 08:41 PM
Advanced Member
 
scottyroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Happy Valley, Utah
Posts: 934
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantHT View Post
No comparison unless you would even consider entry level DLP projectors with Sanyo tv black levels.


If you watched the full video there is actually very much a comparison. Ted makes it pretty clear that it is very noticeable the the DLP have better detail, resolution, and sharpness. Epson had better contrast and black levels. It’s ok to give credit where it’s due lol

"The Bunker" | Dedicated Theater Build Under Suspended Slab Garage
Testing: BenQ HT5550 | Epson 5050UB | 160" Dragonfly™ Fixed AT Screen
Denon X6300H | 9.4.4 (7.2.4 Discrete) | 9x Episode 900 Series LCR/Surrounds | 4x Episode 1700 Series ATMOS Heights | 4x Episode 12" Evo Subs
Sony X700 | Xbox One X | NVIDIA Shield TV
scottyroo is offline  
post #675 of 866 Old 03-27-2019, 09:14 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 243
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyroo View Post
If you watched the full video there is actually very much a comparison. Ted makes it pretty clear that it is very noticeable the the DLP have better detail, resolution, and sharpness. Epson had better contrast and black levels. It’s ok to give credit where it’s due lol
Different Strokes for different folks. I just don't see DLP and higher contrast projectors ever being direct competitors. People who would consider a DLP projector are usually not someone who's going to be watching movies in a dark home theater room. Because their black levels are distractingly bad.

And people who prefer DLP projectors over LCOS etc are ones who favor sharpness over all else. So I just don't see the technologies as comparable at any price point. DLP is normally used by those with entry-level budgets and limited experience. I don't know one serious Home Theater enthusiast who uses a DLP projector in a dedicated home theater room. No use in treating a room with dark colors, dark ceiling, dark floors etc and pair it with a projector that is incapable of anything over 1500:1 native contrast.

Last edited by RadiantHT; 03-27-2019 at 09:23 PM.
RadiantHT is offline  
post #676 of 866 Old 03-27-2019, 09:17 PM
Senior Member
 
MJ DOOM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: COOK COUNTY, IL
Posts: 409
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 69
^^^^^^


I unfold the scroll, plant seeds to stampede the globe
When I'm deceased, by then the beast arise like yeast
to conquer peace leaving savages to roam in the streets.
MJ DOOM is online now  
post #677 of 866 Old 03-27-2019, 09:39 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Out West
Posts: 828
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantHT View Post
Different Strokes for different folks. I just don't see DLP and higher contrast projectors ever being direct competitors. People who would consider a DLP projector are usually not someone who's going to be watching movies in a dark home theater room. Because their black levels are distractingly bad.

And people who prefer DLP projectors over LCOS etc are ones who favor sharpness over all else. So I just don't see the technologies as comparable at any price point. DLP is normally used by those with entry-level budgets and limited experience. I don't know one serious Home Theater enthusiast who uses a DLP projector in a dedicated home theater room. No use in treating a room with dark colors, dark ceiling, dark floors etc and pair it with a projector that is incapable of anything over 1500:1 native contrast.

Well...
Quote:
After a very enjoyable time spent with the BenQ HT9060, I have a hard time letting it go. I’ve been watching an Anthem LTX-500 for almost 10 years and during that time, a lot of really nice projectors have come through my theater. Only one of them made me want a new display, the JVC RS640 – until now. The HT9060’s incredible clarity is truly a sight to behold.

I am not about to call it, or anything else, the perfect display. I always marvel at the sharpness of most DLP projectors but wish they could deliver the contrast of an LCoS or LCD model. But BenQ has done a really good job with its HDR implementation and the use of a switching LED light source to increase contrast. It certainly beats out every other DLP I’ve reviewed for dynamic range.

Color quality and accuracy are at reference level. Not only does the HT9060 hit all the marks out of the box, it calibrates to an even higher standard. This is an area BenQ takes very seriously and it shows here for sure. While professional calibration is always recommended for high-end displays, it isn’t terribly necessary in this case.

In my review of the JVC RS640, I said it was the best projector I’d every reviewed. The BenQ HT9060 now shares that title. It throws a stunning Ultra HD image that is simply unmatched by anything else I’ve seen. It receives my highest recommendation.
https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/...jector-review/
Let's get back to a serious discussion.
DunMunro is online now  
post #678 of 866 Old 03-27-2019, 09:43 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 243
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
Well...


Let's get back to a serious discussion.
We understand you are a DLP enthusiast. Nothing wrong with that but this is not the thread for that.
Magnus_CA likes this.

Last edited by RadiantHT; 03-27-2019 at 09:48 PM.
RadiantHT is offline  
post #679 of 866 Old 03-27-2019, 09:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
WynsWrld98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 3,078
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyroo View Post
You are on the right track and make a lot of great points. DLP isn't known for blacks, for sure. I posted at length where I feel this HT3550 fills a space in the market. Last year's DLP 4K projectors were really poor at blacks. VERY entry level stuff. What the HT3550 does is split the difference in blacks between last year's DLP crop and the Epsons. However, the HDR implementation is subjectively better on the BenQ so they trade blows a bit.

At any rate, I'll be getting my 5050UB in next Wednesday and the HT5550 in hopefully before that so I'll make sure to report back some real-time side by side comparison to help you out in your decision making.
I wish the HT5550 had powered focus, zoom and vertical lens shift and memory for 16:9 and 2.39:1 for us Constant Image Height setups. I love having those features on my Epson 5040.
WynsWrld98 is offline  
post #680 of 866 Old 03-27-2019, 09:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 6,387
Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2628 Post(s)
Liked: 2577
Epson 5050\6050 Rumors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantHT View Post
Different Strokes for different folks. I just don't see DLP and higher contrast projectors ever being direct competitors. People who would consider a DLP projector are usually not someone who's going to be watching movies in a dark home theater room. Because their black levels are distractingly bad.



And people who prefer DLP projectors over LCOS etc are ones who favor sharpness over all else. So I just don't see the technologies as comparable at any price point. DLP is normally used by those with entry-level budgets and limited experience. I don't know one serious Home Theater enthusiast who uses a DLP projector in a dedicated on theater room. No use in treating a room with dark colors, dark ceiling, dark floors etc and pair it with a projector that is incapable of anything over 1500:1 native contrast.


So what do you say to someone like myself? Someone who knows what fantastic contrast and deep, inky blacks look like and still chooses DLP? I don’t fit into your “limited experience” category and last time I checked I was a pretty serious enthusiast.

Here’s the thing: everyone has different priorities. One of my priorities is fluid motion handling. Unfortunately for me I never warmed to sample and hold style displays. I jumped from CRT straight to plasma/DLP rear projection and then to DLP front projection. I never had a chance to get used to LCD blur and, in my opinion, overdriving an LCD display to eliminate the blur only makes the motion uglier (though it does have gaming advantages). This means that, for me, all LCD based tech including 3LCD and LCOS starts to have issues once you actually have motion on screen. It’s a curse and one I wish I could let go of. But you don’t see me going around claiming all LCD displays are useless just because I have an issue with sample and hold. I understand that different people have different priorities and different ideas of what does and doesn’t look good.

So what you’re doing is making broad, sweeping statements that sound like facts but are, in reality, your opinions. Honestly, the only posts I ever see from you are in threads trashing whatever projector that thread happens to be about. You trash DLP and you trash every single 3LCD that isn’t the 5040ub. Considering that this is the under $3000 sub forum where 95% of the selection is DLP and non-UB 3LCD I’m beginning to wonder what it is exactly you’re hoping to prove? That everyone just needs to spend more money? Or maybe that everyone should just settle for a projector that isn’t 4K? If all you want to do is get your opinion out there that every under $3000 projector outside the 5040ub is garbage then, I’m happy to tell you, your message has been received loud and... repeatedly.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Last edited by sage11x; 03-27-2019 at 09:58 PM.
sage11x is offline  
post #681 of 866 Old 03-27-2019, 10:22 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 243
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
So what do you say to someone like myself? Someone who knows what fantastic contrast and deep, inky blacks look like and still chooses DLP? I don’t fit into your “limited experience” category and last time I checked I was a pretty serious enthusiast.

Here’s the thing: everyone has different priorities. One of my priorities is fluid motion handling. Unfortunately for me I never warmed to sample and hold style displays. I jumped from CRT straight to plasma/DLP rear projection and then to DLP front projection. I never had a chance to get used to LCD blur and, in my opinion, overdriving an LCD display to eliminate the blur only makes the motion uglier (though it does have gaming advantages). This means that, for me, all LCD based tech including 3LCD and LCOS starts to have issues once you actually have motion on screen. It’s a curse and one I wish I could let go of. But you don’t see me going around claiming all LCD displays are useless just because I have an issue with sample and hold. I understand that different people have different priorities and different ideas of what does and doesn’t look good.

So what you’re doing is making broad, sweeping statements that sound like facts but are, in reality, your opinions. Honestly, the only posts I ever see from you are in threads trashing whatever projector that thread happens to be about. You trash DLP and you trash every single 3LCD that isn’t the 5040ub. Considering that this is the under $3000 sub forum where 95% of the selection is DLP and non-UB 3LCD I’m beginning to wonder what it is exactly you’re hoping to prove? That everyone just needs to spend more money? Or maybe that everyone should just settle for a projector that isn’t 4K? If all you want to do is get your opinion out there that every under $3000 projector outside the 5040ub is garbage then, I’m happy to tell you, your message has been received loud and... repeatedly.
I previously owned a BenQ HT9050. It showed the best resolution out of any projector I've ever owned by far. With that being said, once the lights went off it's black levels were so bad that it looked like a flashlight was shining directly onto the screen.

My point is no one is going to spend thousands of dollars on a dedicated home theater room and accept such a high black floor. Especially when the projector shows a brilliant picture in all other facets but yet retains such a huge compromise in black floor that Sci-Fi movies such as Star Trek cannot be enjoyed because all outer space shots appear milky Gray. Those who will accept a very high black floor are those that are not in a dedicated home theater room. That's the honest truth.

As far as my comments towards the Epson 4000/4010, I only mentioned that you were comparing a BenQ projector's contrast level to an Epson non UB projector that is known for having extremely below-average contrast. That doesn't say much for the dlp projector in question.

Last edited by RadiantHT; 03-27-2019 at 10:46 PM.
RadiantHT is offline  
post #682 of 866 Old 03-27-2019, 10:55 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Out West
Posts: 828
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantHT View Post
I previously owned a BenQ HT9050. It showed the best resolution out of any projector I've ever owned ny far. With that being said, once the lights went off it's black levels were so bad that it looked like a flashlight was shining directly onto the screen.

My point is no one is going to spend thousands of dollars on a dedicated home theater room and accept such a high black floor. Especially when the projector shows a brilliant picture in all other facets but yet retains such a huge compromise in black floor that Sci-Fi movies such as Star Trek cannot be enjoyed because all outer space shots appear milky Gray. Those who will accept a very high black floor are those that are not in a dedicated home theater room. That's the honest truth.

As far as my comments towards the Epson 4000/4010, I only mentioned that you were comparing a BenQ projector's contrast level to an Epson non UB projector that is known for having extremely below-average contrast. That doesn't say much for the dlp projector in question.

The HT9050 was early entry into high brightness LED technology, and didn't even have HDR.

Times change and so does technology:


https://www.projectorreviews.com/ace...picturequality


and the black levels of current machines are quite superior to the HT9050 and more 4K laser DLP PJs are on the way. But having said that just having deep blacks isn't enough:


and


So deep blacks don't always tell the whole story.
sage11x likes this.
DunMunro is online now  
post #683 of 866 Old 03-27-2019, 11:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 6,387
Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2628 Post(s)
Liked: 2577
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantHT View Post
I previously owned a BenQ HT9050. It showed the best resolution out of any projector I've ever owned ny far. With that being said, once the lights went off it's black levels were so bad that it looked like a flashlight was shining directly onto the screen.

My point is no one is going to spend thousands of dollars on a dedicated home theater room and accept such a high black floor. Especially when the projector shows a brilliant picture in all other facets but yet retains such a huge compromise in black floor that Sci-Fi movies such as Star Trek cannot be enjoyed because all outer space shots appear milky Gray. Those who will accept a very high black floor are those that are not in a dedicated home theater room. That's the honest truth.

As far as my comments towards the Epson 4000/4010, I only mentioned that you were comparing a BenQ projector's contrast level to an Epson non UB projector that is known for having extremely below-average contrast. That doesn't say much for the dlp projector in question.
01-27-2019, 02:33 PM
RadiantHT
Member
I would not purchase the Epson 4010. It's contrast is discernibly inferior to the Epson 5040. However, Epson 5040's power supply issues are too much to bear. So your best bet is to wait for the Epson 5050UB to be released in the spring.

02-21-2019, 08:35 AM
RadiantHT
Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonfromCB View Post
I don't disagree....but most users who do not have a dedicated HT who will use the 4010 in a partially lit living room as a "TV" or "home entertainment projector" won't care and are getting a bargain. Perhaps some of us wanting the 5050 right now don't like the release timing of Epson's products, but it's arguable that they got the customer/product/price/timing right on the 4050/4010.
I don't consider it a bargain. The Epson 4050 has abysmal native contrast. And DLP will beat it in terms of sharpness. The main advantage LCOS and LCD have over DLP is better contrast. However, native contrast is where the Epson 4050 fails so there's really no reason to purchase it over a DLP other than better brightness at the cost of color accuracy.

02-26-2019, 01:05 PM
RadiantHT
Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradP View Post
Has anyone done a side by side of the 4010 vs the ht2550 yet? My 2550 is ok...except I become less and less impressed with the non-black in dark scenes every day.
4010 won't be any better in that regard. It has low native contrast close to 1500:1.


3-21-2019, 11:17 AM
RadiantHT
Member
Unless you are an avid gamer, I would stay away from DLP projectors. Their contrast is abysmal

03-25-2019, 11:42 AM
RadiantHT
Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripkip View Post
Is it correct to say that the Benq W5700 (HT5500) is a direct competitor for the Epson TW-9400 (5040UB)?
Since it's too early for head to head reviews, who has the upper hand looking at the specs?
Definitely not the BenQ HT-5550 if you're looking for a decent amount of contrast for movie watching.



I mean, that's just what comes up on a basic search. I'm not saying that you're not entitled to your opinion-- you are. But what I am saying is we need some context here. The Epson 4010 doesn't have "below-average" contrast. Maybe in the $3000 and up forum but here in this sub forum it has above average contrast. Price matters. You say people shouldn't buy the 4010/4050 because, in your words, the contrast is "discernibly inferior." And people shouldn't buy any DLP because, again in your words, "their contrast is abysmal." So what do you suggest someone buy with, let's say, less than $3000? Is it... this 5050ub? And if they have less than $2000? What if they have less than $1500!? My god... what if they have less than $1000? Are you saying someone with that little money to spend won't have a dedicated space? Because I can introduce you to some folks around here...

You're saying everyone should like what you like. That everyone should prioritize what you do. I think it's great you know what you want. I think it's double great that it sounds like you have the money to afford what you want. But not everyone is you. It great to share your opinion but to make generalizations and assume everyone has to agree with you is absurd and runs counter to what this forum is all about. That's all. Not trying to pick a fight it just gets exhausting when all you do is drag everything that isn't an Epson 5040/5050.
Aja and DavidK442 like this.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
sage11x is offline  
post #684 of 866 Old 03-27-2019, 11:54 PM
Advanced Member
 
Luminated67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 846
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooch02000 View Post
I see you have a 100 inch screen; I bet HDR looks great on that. I have a 165 at the moment. Most advice on this forum says that anything over 120 or 130 is too big for the proper nits/fL output to make HDR work for any projector (other than maybe the Sony 5000es and JVC RS-4500 etc. What say you?
I’m almost at maximum zoom for my 100” so I am at the optimum for HDR. I’m not going to argue with anyone who feels one of these new DLPs are good enough with a 160” screen because I’m never seen any projector throw HDR on to this size of screen but based on my own screen and throw distance I personally wouldn’t be happy with anything bigger than 120” and again would want it to be very close to maximum zoom.

As for the piture with my setup I’d say it’s HDR is as good as you’ll see from any projector that’s bulb driven.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Radiator)
Luminated67 is online now  
post #685 of 866 Old 03-27-2019, 11:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bix26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,109
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 658 Post(s)
Liked: 340
It’s kind of like how no serious car enthusiast with any experience would ever drive an e30 m3 or air cooled 911, their horsepower numbers are terrible.
sage11x likes this.
bix26 is online now  
post #686 of 866 Old 03-28-2019, 12:09 AM
Advanced Member
 
Luminated67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 846
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by bix26 View Post
It’s kind of like how no serious car enthusiast with any experience would ever drive an e30 m3 or air cooled 911, their horsepower numbers are terrible.
Don’t include us European in that assumption.

sage11x likes this.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Radiator)
Luminated67 is online now  
post #687 of 866 Old 03-28-2019, 12:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bix26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,109
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 658 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Epson 5050\6050 Rumors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminated67 View Post
Don’t include us European in that assumption.





I know that’s why you guys have Alpina tourings, RS6’s and Golf R Variants while the best I can hope for is this



P.S. I hope that’s not your Bimmer that your exposing to UV rays and adding mileage/depreciation too. (Sarcastic emoji)

Last edited by bix26; 03-28-2019 at 12:31 AM.
bix26 is online now  
post #688 of 866 Old 03-28-2019, 12:46 AM
Advanced Member
 
Luminated67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 846
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by bix26 View Post
I know that’s why you guys have Alpina tourings, RS6’s and Golf R Variants while the best I can hope for is this



P.S. I hope that’s not your Bimmer that your exposing to UV rays and adding mileage/depreciation too. (Sarcastic emoji)

LOL. No it was the mate’s who has since sold it for get this £112k.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Radiator)
Luminated67 is online now  
post #689 of 866 Old 03-28-2019, 03:14 AM
Advanced Member
 
Luminated67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 846
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
Over the past few years on various threads I have made the point that the only place the dlp did poorly was on very dark scenes. If the 5550 auto iris only works well in this mode then it could be very good. The dlp contrast is great on normal scenes like in sports, news, documentaries, and sitcoms. My experience for my kind of viewing is that the very dark scenes represent less than 10% of the total.
I think it really depends on the type of movies you watch and how much contrast means to you because everyone has different priorities when watch stuff. I don't know the whole ins and outs of why DLPs are inferior with regards to contrast but I do think everyone needs to do a direct comparison between projectors they are considering and pick the one they prefer rather than listening to others.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Radiator)
Luminated67 is online now  
post #690 of 866 Old 03-28-2019, 05:18 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 243
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
01-27-2019, 02:33 PM
RadiantHT
Member
I would not purchase the Epson 4010. It's contrast is discernibly inferior to the Epson 5040. However, Epson 5040's power supply issues are too much to bear. So your best bet is to wait for the Epson 5050UB to be released in the spring.

02-21-2019, 08:35 AM
RadiantHT
Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonfromCB View Post
I don't disagree....but most users who do not have a dedicated HT who will use the 4010 in a partially lit living room as a "TV" or "home entertainment projector" won't care and are getting a bargain. Perhaps some of us wanting the 5050 right now don't like the release timing of Epson's products, but it's arguable that they got the customer/product/price/timing right on the 4050/4010.
I don't consider it a bargain. The Epson 4050 has abysmal native contrast. And DLP will beat it in terms of sharpness. The main advantage LCOS and LCD have over DLP is better contrast. However, native contrast is where the Epson 4050 fails so there's really no reason to purchase it over a DLP other than better brightness at the cost of color accuracy.

02-26-2019, 01:05 PM
RadiantHT
Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradP View Post
Has anyone done a side by side of the 4010 vs the ht2550 yet? My 2550 is ok...except I become less and less impressed with the non-black in dark scenes every day.
4010 won't be any better in that regard. It has low native contrast close to 1500:1.


3-21-2019, 11:17 AM
RadiantHT
Member
Unless you are an avid gamer, I would stay away from DLP projectors. Their contrast is abysmal

03-25-2019, 11:42 AM
RadiantHT
Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripkip View Post
Is it correct to say that the Benq W5700 (HT5500) is a direct competitor for the Epson TW-9400 (5040UB)?
Since it's too early for head to head reviews, who has the upper hand looking at the specs?
Definitely not the BenQ HT-5550 if you're looking for a decent amount of contrast for movie watching.



I mean, that's just what comes up on a basic search. I'm not saying that you're not entitled to your opinion-- you are. But what I am saying is we need some context here. The Epson 4010 doesn't have "below-average" contrast. Maybe in the $3000 and up forum but here in this sub forum it has above average contrast. Price matters. You say people shouldn't buy the 4010/4050 because, in your words, the contrast is "discernibly inferior." And people shouldn't buy any DLP because, again in your words, "their contrast is abysmal." So what do you suggest someone buy with, let's say, less than $3000? Is it... this 5050ub? And if they have less than $2000? What if they have less than $1500!? My god... what if they have less than $1000? Are you saying someone with that little money to spend won't have a dedicated space? Because I can introduce you to some folks around here...

You're saying everyone should like what you like. That everyone should prioritize what you do. I think it's great you know what you want. I think it's double great that it sounds like you have the money to afford what you want. But not everyone is you. It great to share your opinion but to make generalizations and assume everyone has to agree with you is absurd and runs counter to what this forum is all about. That's all. Not trying to pick a fight it just gets exhausting when all you do is drag everything that isn't an Epson 5040/5050.
I'm sorry but a Epson 4010 with 1400:1 native contrast is low. It is not above average. And I sold my 5040UB for a higher native contrast Sony 45ES. So there are other options below $3,000.
RadiantHT is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off