Epson 5050\6050 Rumors? - Page 24 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 345Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #691 of 866 Old 03-28-2019, 05:42 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 243
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
The HT9050 was early entry into high brightness LED technology, and didn't even have HDR.

Times change and so does technology:


https://www.projectorreviews.com/ace...picturequality


and the black levels of current machines are quite superior to the HT9050 and more 4K laser DLP PJs are on the way. But having said that just having deep blacks isn't enough:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeFUsR056SA&t=1058s

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnPXug721ZY&t=268s

So deep blacks don't always tell the whole story.
Optoma color brightness not good. Optoma native contrast bad. Main claim is high resolution.
RadiantHT is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #692 of 866 Old 03-28-2019, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member
 
scottyroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Happy Valley, Utah
Posts: 932
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked: 807
Catching up on the thread this morning...

sage11x likes this.

"The Bunker" | Dedicated Theater Build Under Suspended Slab Garage
Testing: BenQ HT5550 | Epson 5050UB | 160" Dragonfly™ Fixed AT Screen
Denon X6300H | 9.4.4 (7.2.4 Discrete) | 9x Episode 900 Series LCR/Surrounds | 4x Episode 1700 Series ATMOS Heights | 4x Episode 12" Evo Subs
Sony X700 | Xbox One X | NVIDIA Shield TV
scottyroo is offline  
post #693 of 866 Old 03-28-2019, 07:01 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 243
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyroo View Post
Catching up on the thread this morning...

Lmao. This post made me choke with laughter this morning. No need for this thread to get heated. This dose of comic relief was well placed. Depending on the performance of the Epson 5050, I might even consider a switch to BenQ HT5550, or the upcoming HT9060 if the contrast is improved from the previous 9050 I owned.
sage11x and scottyroo like this.
RadiantHT is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #694 of 866 Old 03-28-2019, 07:08 AM
Member
 
Janhaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I called around and found that the 5050 is available for purchase now vs the 6050 available a bit later. I want to check what's the difference between the 5050 vs the 6050? Is it JUST the color (white vs black), the mount, the extra lamp and the one-year extended warranty? Or are there actual differences in performance?

I found some comparisons here:
https://www.projectorpoint.co.uk/epson-eh-tw9400.html
https://www.projectorpoint.co.uk/epson-eh-tw7400.html

Last edited by Janhaus; 03-28-2019 at 07:15 AM.
Janhaus is offline  
post #695 of 866 Old 03-28-2019, 07:16 AM
Advanced Member
 
scottyroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Happy Valley, Utah
Posts: 932
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked: 807
Epson 5050\6050 Rumors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janhaus View Post
So I called around and found that the 5050 is available for purchase now vs the 6050 available a bit later. I want to check what's the difference between the 5050 vs the 6050? Is it JUST the color (white vs black), the mount, the extra lamp and the one-year extended warranty? Or are there actual differences in performance?



I found some comparisons here:

https://www.projectorpoint.co.uk/epson-eh-tw9400.html

https://www.projectorpoint.co.uk/epson-eh-tw7400.html


Literally no difference in performance. You correctly stated the differences in your post.

"The Bunker" | Dedicated Theater Build Under Suspended Slab Garage
Testing: BenQ HT5550 | Epson 5050UB | 160" Dragonfly™ Fixed AT Screen
Denon X6300H | 9.4.4 (7.2.4 Discrete) | 9x Episode 900 Series LCR/Surrounds | 4x Episode 1700 Series ATMOS Heights | 4x Episode 12" Evo Subs
Sony X700 | Xbox One X | NVIDIA Shield TV
scottyroo is offline  
post #696 of 866 Old 03-28-2019, 07:28 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 243
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janhaus View Post
So I called around and found that the 5050 is available for purchase now vs the 6050 available a bit later. I want to check what's the difference between the 5050 vs the 6050? Is it JUST the color (white vs black), the mount, the extra lamp and the one-year extended warranty? Or are there actual differences in performance?

I found some comparisons here:
https://www.projectorpoint.co.uk/epson-eh-tw9400.html
https://www.projectorpoint.co.uk/epson-eh-tw7400.html
They are the exact same unit. I have always believed Epson 6 series is a big waste of money. Why would you want to pay another $1,000 for a different color and a bulb that cost $20 to produce along with an additional year of warranty. But to each his own.
RadiantHT is offline  
post #697 of 866 Old 03-28-2019, 07:29 AM
Member
 
Janhaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyroo View Post
Literally no difference in performance. You correctly stated the differences in your post.
Great! I did find the official website comparison here:
https://www.epson.eu/products/compar...71,26872,26870

There's a 200 lumens difference, 2400 vs 2600.
Also a difference in wording around the ethernet port, the 9400 (6050) has gigabit ethernet, whereas the 7400 (5050) just lists ethernet.
All other specs appear identical.

Seems not a big deal to me, unless the ethernet difference matters? Hmm.
Janhaus is offline  
post #698 of 866 Old 03-28-2019, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member
 
scottyroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Happy Valley, Utah
Posts: 932
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janhaus View Post
Great! I did find the official website comparison here:

https://www.epson.eu/products/compar...71,26872,26870



There's a 200 lumens difference, 2400 vs 2600.

Also a difference in wording around the ethernet port, the 9400 (6050) has gigabit ethernet, whereas the 7400 (5050) just lists ethernet.

All other specs appear identical.



Seems not a big deal to me, unless the ethernet difference matters? Hmm.


The 7400 is the 4010 not the 6050. The 9400 is the 5050. There is no 6050 in Europe because they don’t sell it through installers over there

"The Bunker" | Dedicated Theater Build Under Suspended Slab Garage
Testing: BenQ HT5550 | Epson 5050UB | 160" Dragonfly™ Fixed AT Screen
Denon X6300H | 9.4.4 (7.2.4 Discrete) | 9x Episode 900 Series LCR/Surrounds | 4x Episode 1700 Series ATMOS Heights | 4x Episode 12" Evo Subs
Sony X700 | Xbox One X | NVIDIA Shield TV
scottyroo is offline  
post #699 of 866 Old 03-28-2019, 07:37 AM
Member
 
Janhaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyroo View Post
The 7400 is the 4010 not the 6050. The 9400 is the 5050. There is no 6050 in Europe because they don’t sell it through installers over there
Lol ok great! Time to get one
Janhaus is offline  
post #700 of 866 Old 03-28-2019, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member
 
scottyroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Happy Valley, Utah
Posts: 932
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janhaus View Post
Lol ok great! Time to get one


Before you press buy...

The Epson 5040 is being sold refurbished on Epson.com for $1,150. You sure the 18gbps chipset and 5% better contrast is worth 2 grand?

"The Bunker" | Dedicated Theater Build Under Suspended Slab Garage
Testing: BenQ HT5550 | Epson 5050UB | 160" Dragonfly™ Fixed AT Screen
Denon X6300H | 9.4.4 (7.2.4 Discrete) | 9x Episode 900 Series LCR/Surrounds | 4x Episode 1700 Series ATMOS Heights | 4x Episode 12" Evo Subs
Sony X700 | Xbox One X | NVIDIA Shield TV
scottyroo is offline  
post #701 of 866 Old 03-28-2019, 07:43 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 325
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janhaus View Post
Great! I did find the official website comparison here:
https://www.epson.eu/products/compar...71,26872,26870

There's a 200 lumens difference, 2400 vs 2600.
Also a difference in wording around the ethernet port, the 9400 (6050) has gigabit ethernet, whereas the 7400 (5050) just lists ethernet.
All other specs appear identical.

Seems not a big deal to me, unless the ethernet difference matters? Hmm.
The TW 7300 is the HC 4000
TW 7400 is the HC 4010
TW 9300 is the 5040UB
TW 9400 is the 5050UB

Last gen did not have a TW version of the 6040UB, so no TW version of the 6050UB I believe.

Last edited by noob00224; 03-28-2019 at 08:43 AM.
noob00224 is online now  
post #702 of 866 Old 03-28-2019, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
drhankz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 6,646
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyroo View Post
Before you press buy...

The Epson 5040 is being sold refurbished on Epson.com for $1,150. You sure the 18gbps chipset and 5% better contrast is worth 2 grand?
Unless you can provide some SECRET Link - I can not
find 5040 for $1150 If I could I would buy one.
drhankz is offline  
post #703 of 866 Old 03-28-2019, 07:47 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 325
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post
Unless you can provide some SECRET Link - I can not
find 5040 for $1150 If I could I would buy one.
https://epson.com/Clearance-Center/H...a300c40a240610

LE: discussion on this thread:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/199-f...-151-00-a.html

Last edited by noob00224; 03-28-2019 at 07:55 AM.
noob00224 is online now  
post #704 of 866 Old 03-28-2019, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
drhankz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 6,646
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
That was a GOOD SECRET Link - but there is NO BUY OPTION
at the top of the page it says OUT OF STOCK
drhankz is offline  
post #705 of 866 Old 03-28-2019, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member
 
scottyroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Happy Valley, Utah
Posts: 932
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post
That was a GOOD SECRET Link - but there is NO BUY OPTION

at the top of the page it says OUT OF STOCK


Yep. It just sold out 10 minutes ago. Looks like he’s stuck with the 3 grand 5050.

"The Bunker" | Dedicated Theater Build Under Suspended Slab Garage
Testing: BenQ HT5550 | Epson 5050UB | 160" Dragonfly™ Fixed AT Screen
Denon X6300H | 9.4.4 (7.2.4 Discrete) | 9x Episode 900 Series LCR/Surrounds | 4x Episode 1700 Series ATMOS Heights | 4x Episode 12" Evo Subs
Sony X700 | Xbox One X | NVIDIA Shield TV
scottyroo is offline  
post #706 of 866 Old 03-28-2019, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 6,253
Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2555 Post(s)
Liked: 2507
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantHT View Post
I'm sorry but a Epson 4010 with 1400:1 native contrast is low. It is not above average. And I sold my 5040UB for a higher native contrast Sony 45ES. So there are other options below $3,000.
When you say option(s)... the 5040ub @ $2500 and the 1080p only Sony 45ES @ $2000. Before this 5050 releases those are the ONLY two ultra high contrast projectors in this price range and one is right near the top of the range and the other is one of the last outs for 1080p above a grand. Don't get me wrong: excellent projectors. But do you really think that they are the right projectors for everyone? If that's the case we could just rename this sub forum: Digital Projectors under $3000 but above $2000 and absolutely no 4K resolution.

Alright. I'm done commenting on this but I'm just asking for you to maybe-- maybe-- consider some opinions outside of your own. I get that this is the talking head era and respecting other people's opinions is frowned upon but AVS is one of the last little corners of the internet where people still discuss things the old fashioned way.
scottyroo and Toxic teletubby like this.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
sage11x is offline  
post #707 of 866 Old 03-28-2019, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member
 
scottyroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Happy Valley, Utah
Posts: 932
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
When you say option(s)... the 5040ub @ $2500 and the 1080p only Sony 45ES @ $2000. Before this 5050 releases those are the ONLY two ultra high contrast projectors in this price range and one is right near the top of the range and the other is one of the last outs for 1080p above a grand. Don't get me wrong: excellent projectors. But do you really think that they are the right projectors for everyone? If that's the case we could just rename this sub forum: Digital Projectors under $3000 but above $2000 and absolutely no 4K resolution.



Alright. I'm done commenting on this but I'm just asking for you to maybe-- maybe-- consider some opinions outside of your own. I get that this is the talking head era and respecting other people's opinions is frowned upon but AVS is one of the last little corners of the internet where people still discuss things the old fashioned way.

@sage11x dropping the wisdom!

"The Bunker" | Dedicated Theater Build Under Suspended Slab Garage
Testing: BenQ HT5550 | Epson 5050UB | 160" Dragonfly™ Fixed AT Screen
Denon X6300H | 9.4.4 (7.2.4 Discrete) | 9x Episode 900 Series LCR/Surrounds | 4x Episode 1700 Series ATMOS Heights | 4x Episode 12" Evo Subs
Sony X700 | Xbox One X | NVIDIA Shield TV
scottyroo is offline  
post #708 of 866 Old 03-28-2019, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member
 
Luminated67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 779
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantHT View Post
I'm sorry but a Epson 4010 with 1400:1 native contrast is low. It is not above average. And I sold my 5040UB for a higher native contrast Sony 45ES. So there are other options below $3,000.
That's odd because still having the HW45es sitting around and having compared both my TW9400 and it in the very same room and whilst I am not saying it's night and day better but there's a noticeable difference that the Epson is better.

I can't believe there's a dramatic difference between 5040 and 5050.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Radiator)
Luminated67 is online now  
post #709 of 866 Old 03-28-2019, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 6,253
Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2555 Post(s)
Liked: 2507
Epson 5050\6050 Rumors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bix26 View Post
It’s kind of like how no serious car enthusiast with any experience would ever drive an e30 m3 or air cooled 911, their horsepower numbers are terrible.


I consider myself a pretty serious car enthusiast as well. Even have a track day weekend scheduled for the second week in April. I own one of the most (shockingly) divisive enthusiast cars released in the last decade and for the first couple years it seemed everyone had an opinion they felt compelled to force upon me. Btw, for the other car nuts out there this car is bone stock making the exact same bhp it made when I bought it in late 2012. I wouldn't change a thing.



Would I buy a porsche if I had the money? Maybe... but maybe not. I enjoy a lot of things and my hobbies are constantly fighting for my resources. To bring it back to the subject at hand: this product does exactly what I want better than any other product I compared it to at a price that makes it very easy to enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6547 (Edited).jpg
Views:	29
Size:	1.94 MB
ID:	2545364  
LondonBenji likes this.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
sage11x is offline  
post #710 of 866 Old 03-28-2019, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member
 
Luminated67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 779
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
When you say option(s)... the 5040ub @ $2500 and the 1080p only Sony 45ES @ $2000. Before this 5050 releases those are the ONLY two ultra high contrast projectors in this price range and one is right near the top of the range and the other is one of the last outs for 1080p above a grand. Don't get me wrong: excellent projectors. But do you really think that they are the right projectors for everyone? If that's the case we could just rename this sub forum: Digital Projectors under $3000 but above $2000 and absolutely no 4K resolution.
Not everyone has the same demands and requirements when picking a projector, newbies generally are won over by sharpness and want UHD at all costs which DLPs fit this bill brilliantly but the more you get into Home Cinema the more dedicated the room and then contrast becomes a bigger preference over ultimate sharpness.

Personally I would still pick a Sony Hw45es over almost anything below the Epson TW9400 simply because it's the best 1080P currently on sale, I also have to admit that you can get probably 85% of it's ability from only 50% it's price or even less.
Alaric and sage11x like this.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Radiator)
Luminated67 is online now  
post #711 of 866 Old 03-28-2019, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 6,253
Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2555 Post(s)
Liked: 2507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminated67 View Post
That's odd because still having the HW45es sitting around and having compared both my TW9400 and it in the very same room and whilst I am not saying it's night and day better but there's a noticeable difference that the Epson is better.

I can't believe there's a dramatic difference between 5040 and 5050.
That's normal. Everyone seems to go a different way on the 45ES/5040UB debate and I think it's very content, and viewer, dependent. Chris Heinonen of RHT and wirecutter says the Sony edges the Epson out while Art over at Projector Reviews very clearly prefers the 5040UB. The Sony 45ES' imaging chips are typically measured displaying higher native contrast (though the advantage is not massive) but the Epson has one of the best irises in the business.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
sage11x is offline  
post #712 of 866 Old 03-28-2019, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 6,253
Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2555 Post(s)
Liked: 2507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminated67 View Post
Not everyone has the same demands and requirements when picking a projector, newbies generally are won over by sharpness and want UHD at all costs which DLPs fit this bill brilliantly but the more you get into Home Cinema the more dedicated the room and then contrast becomes a bigger preference over ultimate sharpness.

Personally I would still pick a Sony Hw45es over almost anything below the Epson TW9400 simply because it's the best 1080P currently on sale, I also have to admit that you can get probably 85% of it's ability from only 50% it's price or even less.
I respect that and I think a LOT of people feel the same way.

It's funny, I've been raving about the new BenQ HT3550 and a buddy of mine reached out to see if it would be worth replacing his 5030ub with. I told him he likely wouldn't be happy with the reduction in contrast/blacks. When he asked if he could come by and see it I told him: sure, but it will ruin your 1080p projector. Now he is trying to figure out how to afford a Sony 295ES...

I think that it's naive to assume that the only people interested in a sharp image are those that aren't 'seriously' into home theater. A sharp image can be appreciated by anyone and I'll you tell that, as a film nut, I'm ecstatic about 4K on projectors. Watching the 4K remaster of Mission Impossible or The Dark Crystal or even Star Trek the Wrath of Kahn (yes, space scenes on a DLP, everyone {{shudder}}) on a sharp 4K projector brings me closer to the experience of watching actual film than I've ever been before. Even modern releases like MI: Fallout are, IMO, much better in 4K.

The issue is, right now, contrast costs money. And if you're shopping in the lower end of the price spectrum-- which is where we are-- you have to choose between a high contrast 1080p projector or a lower contrast 4K projector. Would I like DLP to have JVC-like black levels? Well, of course I would (but as it turns out even 4K JVCs don't have JVC-like black levels). The issue is that ISN'T available at this price and not everyone will be satisfied with 1080p.

In any case. I'm really interested to see what this 5050 is all about. The 4010 was a little under sold as a mild refresh of the 4000 when I think, in reality, it was a pretty substantial upgrade. Hopefully the 5050 will represent the same leap forward. More projectors are more better!
scottyroo and JediMindTrick like this.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
sage11x is offline  
post #713 of 866 Old 03-28-2019, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JackB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Posts: 3,629
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1328 Post(s)
Liked: 314
If one were to buy a 5040 instead of the new 5050 he gets HDMI 1.4 at 10 mbps instead of 2.0 at 18 mbps. Right? But the 5040 does have HDCP 2.2, right? So if this is the case what do you really give up? I just read the Epson $1,151 5040 and it talks about supporting HDR. Does this mean that it does what my HDFury Vertex does? The Vertex converts HDR to SDR and down-rez's 4K to 1080P. I suspect it does and then uses its pixel shifting tech to simulate a 4K picture. Is my description correct?

If I'm correct then one of these would have been a heck of a deal.

Jack
JackB is offline  
post #714 of 866 Old 03-28-2019, 09:25 AM
Member
 
ezelkow1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
If one were to buy a 5040 instead of the new 5050 he gets HDMI 1.4 at 10 mbps instead of 2.0 at 18 mbps. Right? But the 5040 does have HDCP 2.2, right? So if this is the case what do you really give up? I just read the Epson $1,151 5040 and it talks about supporting HDR. Does this mean that it does what my HDFury Vertex does? The Vertex converts HDR to SDR and down-rez's 4K to 1080P. I suspect it does and then uses its pixel shifting tech to simulate a 4K picture. Is my description correct?

If I'm correct then one of these would have been a heck of a deal.
You give up 4Kp60+HDR support, since that needs more bandwidth than the 10gbps so it's not an available option on the 5040. This hinders things like some streaming boxes/apps that expect to be able to do 4k60HDR. AFAIK it wont do any colorspace conversion for HDR to SDR either so whatever the input is has to be able to support 4k24+HDR as a possible output mode
Alaric likes this.
ezelkow1 is offline  
post #715 of 866 Old 03-28-2019, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dave in Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 7,847
Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3538 Post(s)
Liked: 2728
Exaggerating the weak points of products they don't favor and overstating the strong points of products they do favor are common characteristics of fanboyism. Whenever I'm looking on a forum for advice on deciding between different products I tend to tune out the posts that come across as fanboyish and focus on balanced posts that properly acknowledge the pros and cons of competing products. Then it's a simple matter of deciding which points are most important to me and picking the product with the best balance of pros and cons to suit my personal preferences.
home4sale2, sage11x and scottyroo like this.
Dave in Green is online now  
post #716 of 866 Old 03-28-2019, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JackB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Posts: 3,629
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1328 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezelkow1 View Post
You give up 4Kp60+HDR support, since that needs more bandwidth than the 10gbps so it's not an available option on the 5040. This hinders things like some streaming boxes/apps that expect to be able to do 4k60HDR. AFAIK it wont do any colorspace conversion for HDR to SDR either so whatever the input is has to be able to support 4k24+HDR as a possible output mode
So all of the Netflix 4K hdr stuff comes at 30fps? Does Netflix do the conversion as I think they read the edid of the projector and send that. Or would Netflix strip the HDR and send it sdr at 60fps?

Jack
JackB is offline  
post #717 of 866 Old 03-28-2019, 09:57 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 243
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminated67 View Post
That's odd because still having the HW45es sitting around and having compared both my TW9400 and it in the very same room and whilst I am not saying it's night and day better but there's a noticeable difference that the Epson is better.

I can't believe there's a dramatic difference between 5040 and 5050.
The 5040's color accuracy was noticeably inferior out of the box compared to the Sony 45ES. 5040's native contrast was inferior to the Sony 45ES without the iris engaged.

So it depends on how you use it. I normally do not like to use an iris. I am also very, very picky about color accuracy
and the Sony 45ES excelled in this area. However with the iris engaged, the Epson 5040 did have the edge in black levels. And it was discernibly brighter than the Sony 45ES when using bright Cinema mode albeit it at the cost of some color accuracy.

Last edited by RadiantHT; 03-28-2019 at 10:02 AM.
RadiantHT is offline  
post #718 of 866 Old 03-28-2019, 09:58 AM
Member
 
ezelkow1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
So all of the Netflix 4K hdr stuff comes at 30fps? Does Netflix do the conversion as I think they read the edid of the projector and send that. Or would Netflix strip the HDR and send it sdr at 60fps?
I dont know the specifics (its not really my use case, mine is using a shield as my HTPC and so Id like to be able to do 4k60 HDR when I want), Ive just seen all the backflips in the other forums threads people have gone through using various converters to get streaming apps to work right
ezelkow1 is offline  
post #719 of 866 Old 03-28-2019, 11:10 AM
Senior Member
 
DavidinGA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: GA
Posts: 473
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
I consider myself a pretty serious car enthusiast as well. Even have a track day weekend scheduled for the second week in April. I own one of the most (shockingly) divisive enthusiast cars released in the last decade and for the first couple years it seemed everyone had an opinion they felt compelled to force upon me. Btw, for the other car nuts out there this car is bone stock making the exact same bhp it made when I bought it in late 2012. I wouldn't change a thing.



Would I buy a porsche if I had the money? Maybe... but maybe not. I enjoy a lot of things and my hobbies are constantly fighting for my resources. To bring it back to the subject at hand: this product does exactly what I want better than any other product I compared it to at a price that makes it very easy to enjoy.

Upgrade to the Porsche


I'm also an enthusiast and just wanted to shamelessly plug my current toy. She's just a weee bit faster than your's
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181225_163902.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	5.18 MB
ID:	2545428  

--------------------------------------------------
Epson 4000, 150" 16:9, Audio stuff...
DavidinGA is online now  
post #720 of 866 Old 03-28-2019, 11:12 AM
Senior Member
 
DavidinGA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: GA
Posts: 473
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyroo View Post
Before you press buy...

The Epson 5040 is being sold refurbished on Epson.com for $1,150. You sure the 18gbps chipset and 5% better contrast is worth 2 grand?

And by refurbished they mean units that had psu fail and now you can buy someone else's problem...lol
scottyroo likes this.

--------------------------------------------------
Epson 4000, 150" 16:9, Audio stuff...
DavidinGA is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off