Epson 5050\6050 Rumors? - Page 27 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 345Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #781 of 866 Old 04-02-2019, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bix26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,110
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Epson 5050\6050 Rumors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake18 View Post
True, but 4k e-shift has gotten very good, to the point where most people can't tell it's not true 4k. Same can't be said for the contrast on DLPs, it's still abysmal. Epson high end projectors have great contrast and very good e-shift. They really do have both, in real world usage.


I can’t speak on the sharpness of e-shift other than I’m sure it would be adequate for me considering 1080p still looks sharp to me. I sit 9’ from a 120” screen. I do wish DLP had better contrast, but I don’t consider it “abysmal”. If you took the specs out of the equation and did a side by side comparison I don’t think most would see as drastic a difference as the numbers imply. I’m not a DLP fanboy, in fact if I had a dedicated room I’d almost certainly go with a lcd or lcos projector. But for me and i think most people in a living room who prefer a smaller footprint, the advantages of a larger screen outweigh the disadvantages of lower contrast. Using subjective descriptions like “abysmal” might turn new readers away from projection if dlp or low contrast entry level lcd’s are their only option. No matter what price bracket your in, the more people who own projectors the better off all projector enthusiasts are.
curtlots and scottyroo like this.
bix26 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #782 of 866 Old 04-02-2019, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ladeback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 2,433
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:
Originally Posted by bix26 View Post
I can’t speak on the sharpness of e-shift other than I’m sure it would be adequate for me considering 1080p still looks sharp to me. I sit 9’ from a 120” screen. I do wish DLP had better contrast, but I don’t consider it “abysmal”. If you took the specs out of the equation and did a side by side comparison I don’t think most would see as drastic a difference as the numbers imply. I’m not a DLP fanboy, in fact if I had a dedicated room I’d almost certainly go with a lcd or lcos projector. But for me and i think most people in a living room who prefer a smaller footprint, the advantages of a larger screen outweigh the disadvantages of lower contrast. Using subjective descriptions like “abysmal” might turn new readers away from projection if dlp or low contrast entry level lcd’s are their only option. No matter what price bracket your in, the more people who own projectors the better off all projector enthusiasts are.
9"? That's cloes with a 120" screen. I tried that distance once and it bothered my eyes after a while. I can do 10', but most couldn't so I am now sitting 11' back from a 120" screen. I have seen the 6040 and 5040 in action and really like them over some JVC RS500 and 520 id seen because of the brightness. I didn't really notice the JVc's having any better blacks then people were saying. I have not seen to many DLP projectors and like my current cheap Epson 2040 and and hoping when the 5050/6050 comes can talk my wife into along with Dolby Atmos.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
Ladeback is offline  
post #783 of 866 Old 04-02-2019, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bix26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,110
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post
9"? That's cloes with a 120" screen. I tried that distance once and it bothered my eyes after a while. I can do 10', but most couldn't so I am now sitting 11' back from a 120" screen. I have seen the 6040 and 5040 in action and really like them over some JVC RS500 and 520 id seen because of the brightness. I didn't really notice the JVc's having any better blacks then people were saying. I have not seen to many DLP projectors and like my current cheap Epson 2040 and and hoping when the 5050/6050 comes can talk my wife into along with Dolby Atmos.


I only sit that close when I’m watching letterbox movies. For TV I sit further back on my sectional. The 2040 has about the same contrast as most DLP projectors so if you can’t convince the wife on the 5050 you might want to check out the BenQ HT3550 that just came out. Probably not as good as the 5050 but still a big upgrade over the 2040.
bix26 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #784 of 866 Old 04-02-2019, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ladeback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 2,433
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:
Originally Posted by bix26 View Post
I only sit that close when I’m watching letterbox movies. For TV I sit further back on my sectional. The 2040 has about the same contrast as most DLP projectors so if you can’t convince the wife on the 5050 you might want to check out the BenQ HT3550 that just came out. Probably not as good as the 5050 but still a big upgrade over the 2040.
I want the 2.1:1 zoom lens, powered lens and lens memory so I can do an AT scope screen. I want to go with a 150" 2.35:1 screen and then a 120" 16:9 will fit inside of it. I may settle for the 4010 or 4050 if the 5050 is to high to start with for me.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
Ladeback is offline  
post #785 of 866 Old 04-02-2019, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
blake18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,078
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by bix26 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake18 View Post
True, but 4k e-shift has gotten very good, to the point where most people can't tell it's not true 4k. Same can't be said for the contrast on DLPs, it's still abysmal. Epson high end projectors have great contrast and very good e-shift. They really do have both, in real world usage.


I can’t speak on the sharpness of e-shift other than I’m sure it would be adequate for me considering 1080p still looks sharp to me. I sit 9’ from a 120” screen. I do wish DLP had better contrast, but I don’t consider it “abysmal”. If you took the specs out of the equation and did a side by side comparison I don’t think most would see as drastic a difference as the numbers imply. I’m not a DLP fanboy, in fact if I had a dedicated room I’d almost certainly go with a lcd or lcos projector. But for me and i think most people in a living room who prefer a smaller footprint, the advantages of a larger screen outweigh the disadvantages of lower contrast. Using subjective descriptions like “abysmal” might turn new readers away from projection if dlp or low contrast entry level lcd’s are their only option. No matter what price bracket your in, the more people who own projectors the better off all projector enthusiasts are.
To me, the difference is huge and very noticeable when it comes to contrast between the two technologies. Also, DLP definitely DOES have very abysmal brightness uniformity and color brightness. It's just awful.

Lumenlab "Community driven video lab".
blake18 is offline  
post #786 of 866 Old 04-02-2019, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
blake18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,078
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bix26 View Post
I only sit that close when I’m watching letterbox movies. For TV I sit further back on my sectional. The 2040 has about the same contrast as most DLP projectors so if you can’t convince the wife on the 5050 you might want to check out the BenQ HT3550 that just came out. Probably not as good as the 5050 but still a big upgrade over the 2040.
I want the 2.1:1 zoom lens, powered lens and lens memory so I can do an AT scope screen. I want to go with a 150" 2.35:1 screen and then a 120" 16:9 will fit inside of it. I may settle for the 4010 or 4050 if the 5050 is to high to start with for me.
I wouldn't do that, the 4000 models have way lower contrast than the 5000 models

Lumenlab "Community driven video lab".
blake18 is offline  
post #787 of 866 Old 04-02-2019, 04:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bix26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,110
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake18 View Post
To me, the difference is huge and very noticeable when it comes to contrast between the two technologies. Also, DLP definitely DOES have very abysmal brightness uniformity and color brightness. It's just awful.

Contrast I’ll give you, when comparing Epsons $2,000 plus projectors, but their entry level projectors almost always have less contrast than equally priced dlp projectors.

Color brightness is usually identical to white brightness on dlp projectors with rgb color wheels. Business and media room projectors with a white segment or rgbw wheel will generally have more white brightness than color brightness. As for uniformity that is really not much of an issue for either dlp or lcd. Lcd imagers are more prone to uniformity issues, as the liquid crystal can be inconsistent. This will get worse over time also. Not really an issue unless your doing 24/7 signage but certainly something that effects lcd more than dlp.

I’m not saying that dlp, lcd, or even lcos projectors are better than one or the other. In fact great projectors can be found using either three of the technologies. As I mentioned earlier, if I was looking into a dedicated theater and had more than $2,000 to spend Epson would be my first consideration. They really have deservedly cornered the $2,000-3,000 market. Going below that DLP vs LCD are very close, and I’d give a slight edge to DLP.
bix26 is offline  
post #788 of 866 Old 04-02-2019, 04:31 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 243
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by bix26 View Post
Contrast I’ll give you, when comparing Epsons $2,000 plus projectors, but their entry level projectors almost always have less contrast than equally priced dlp projectors.

Color brightness is usually identical to white brightness on dlp projectors with rgb color wheels. Business and media room projectors with a white segment or rgbw wheel will generally have more white brightness than color brightness. As for uniformity that is really not much of an issue for either dlp or lcd. Lcd imagers are more prone to uniformity issues, as the liquid crystal can be inconsistent. This will get worse over time also. Not really an issue unless your doing 24/7 signage but certainly something that effects lcd more than dlp.

I’m not saying that dlp, lcd, or even lcos projectors are better than one or the other. In fact great projectors can be found using either three of the technologies. As I mentioned earlier, if I was looking into a dedicated theater and had more than $2,000 to spend Epson would be my first consideration. They really have deservedly cornered the $2,000-3,000 market. Going below that DLP vs LCD are very close, and I’d give a slight edge to DLP.
Below $2,000 I would go with a Sony 45ES. In my opinion, it has much better image quality compared to any dlp in the same price range.
RadiantHT is offline  
post #789 of 866 Old 04-02-2019, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member
 
Maximum7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Vancouver, Wa.
Posts: 523
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 16
So basically this 17 page thread has been an argument about contrast between a not yet seen Epson projector and JVC projectors that are at least 1k more.
Oh, and how importand contrast and black levels are.


Don't we already know this crap?

Can anyone speak to motion and movement? Does it get better with the 50 series projectors?
Magnus_CA and Superman2 like this.

Last edited by Maximum7; 04-02-2019 at 05:07 PM.
Maximum7 is offline  
post #790 of 866 Old 04-02-2019, 04:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bix26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,110
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantHT View Post
Below $2,000 I would go with a Sony 45ES. In my opinion, it has much better image quality compared to any dlp in the same price range.


You could certainly make a case for that one. The Epson HT4000 and BenQ HT3550 also deserve consideration imo.
bix26 is offline  
post #791 of 866 Old 04-02-2019, 04:59 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 243
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum7 View Post




Can anyone speak to motion and movement? Does it get better with the 50 series projectors?
No one has the Epson 5050 yet, with the exception of ScottyRoo who will have it delivered to his house this week. Luminated has the Epson EH-9400. If you are looking for first Impressions, your best bet is to go to the Epson EH-9400 thread on avforums.com. It's the European version of the Epson 5050.
Alaric likes this.

Last edited by RadiantHT; 04-02-2019 at 05:02 PM.
RadiantHT is offline  
post #792 of 866 Old 04-02-2019, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member
 
Maximum7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Vancouver, Wa.
Posts: 523
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Thanks, but I'm generally asking about the mid range Epsons. Like the 5040, 6040 and 4010 and 5030.


Does the motion and movement get better as you go up the line?
Maximum7 is offline  
post #793 of 866 Old 04-02-2019, 05:51 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 243
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum7 View Post
Thanks, but I'm generally asking about the mid range Epsons. Like the 5040, 6040 and 4010 and 5030.


Does the motion and movement get better as you go up the line?
Yes
RadiantHT is offline  
post #794 of 866 Old 04-02-2019, 06:19 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Just waiting on my mount.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7083C518-EEC6-41E6-91D1-934026ECF580_1554254364029.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	2548084  
trailblazer, 04rex and Dferguso like this.
Chris Bradburry is offline  
post #795 of 866 Old 04-02-2019, 06:21 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 243
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Bradburry View Post
Just waiting on my mount.....
Congratulations.
RadiantHT is offline  
post #796 of 866 Old 04-02-2019, 07:42 PM
Member
 
JAR5197's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum7 View Post
So basically this 17 page thread has been an argument about contrast between a not yet seen Epson projector and JVC projectors that are at least 1k more.
Oh, and how importand contrast and black levels are.


Don't we already know this crap?

Can anyone speak to motion and movement? Does it get better with the 50 series projectors?
Yes please: How do you knowledgeable members think the motion viewing will be on the 5050?
JAR5197 is offline  
post #797 of 866 Old 04-02-2019, 07:45 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 243
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAR5197 View Post
Yes please: How do you knowledgeable members think the motion viewing will be on the 5050?
The motion handling on my Epson 5040 and my Sony 45ES were both excellent. To be honest, my most recent projector with very bad motion handling was my JVC RS520. It was so bad that I could not watch football on it.
RadiantHT is offline  
post #798 of 866 Old 04-02-2019, 07:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
blake18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,078
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Bradburry View Post
Just waiting on my mount.....
How'd you get your hands on the 5050UB?!

Lumenlab "Community driven video lab".
blake18 is offline  
post #799 of 866 Old 04-02-2019, 08:11 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 11,046
Mentioned: 603 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3772 Post(s)
Liked: 3556
I was watching this thread, but Epson is selling the 5040UB for the price of $1150 for refurbs with a full warranty.
That's a tough pill to swallow - paying $3k over $1k for a very small uptick in quality? I read people saying the $3k vs. $2k current street price between the two was hard to justify - even moreso with the refurb price to my opinion.

Anyway - in case there are others on the fence to spend the $3k range -- it might be worth trying to snag one of these 5040UB refurbs when they come back in stock at this price.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/199-f...l#post57846434

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric
Archaea is online now  
post #800 of 866 Old 04-02-2019, 09:00 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post
I want the 2.1:1 zoom lens, powered lens and lens memory so I can do an AT scope screen. I want to go with a 150" 2.35:1 screen and then a 120" 16:9 will fit inside of it. I may settle for the 4010 or 4050 if the 5050 is to high to start with for me.
I'm going with the same sized screen as you. I currently have a 135" 16:9 and hate those bars at the top and bottom.
I'm hoping to see the price drop to around $1599 for a new 5040ub.
Gellert is offline  
post #801 of 866 Old 04-02-2019, 09:26 PM
Advanced Member
 
scottyroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Happy Valley, Utah
Posts: 934
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Epson 5050 arrives tomorrow. Spent some time setting the stage for the shootout tonight.


"The Bunker" | Dedicated Theater Build Under Suspended Slab Garage
Testing: BenQ HT5550 | Epson 5050UB | 160" Dragonfly™ Fixed AT Screen
Denon X6300H | 9.4.4 (7.2.4 Discrete) | 9x Episode 900 Series LCR/Surrounds | 4x Episode 1700 Series ATMOS Heights | 4x Episode 12" Evo Subs
Sony X700 | Xbox One X | NVIDIA Shield TV
scottyroo is offline  
post #802 of 866 Old 04-02-2019, 09:33 PM
Senior Member
 
cubsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: IL.
Posts: 217
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I was watching this thread, but Epson is selling the 5040UB for the price of $1150 for refurbs with a full warranty.
That's a tough pill to swallow - paying $3k over $1k for a very small uptick in quality? I read people saying the $3k vs. $2k current street price between the two was hard to justify - even moreso with the refurb price to my opinion.

Anyway - in case there are others on the fence to spend the $3k range -- it might be worth trying to snag one of these 5040UB refurbs when they come back in stock at this price.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/199-f...l#post57846434

Epson site shows that new 5040's are out of stock also. That might mean production has stopped for this model. I'm sure there will be refurbs here and there , because of the power supply issue.
cubsfan is offline  
post #803 of 866 Old 04-03-2019, 02:32 AM
Advanced Member
 
Luminated67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 859
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantHT View Post
Below $2,000 I would go with a Sony 45ES. In my opinion, it has much better image quality compared to any dlp in the same price range.
I second this opinion and I can back this up with actual experience. When I was looking to get a replacement for my Epson TW6100 I was all set in going the 4K route with a DLP projector but the guy that helped install my original setup suggested also looking at the Sony HW45es as he felt it was the way to go, so I arranged a viewing at my local store (took a couple of weeks to organised). What they did was mount both projectors to their ceiling mounts they used for back to back comparisons and feed both projectors from a Cambridge Audio Bluray using a 1080P disc, the Optoma UHD60 used it's internal E-shift to upscale and turn it off for comparison and the Sony straight 1080P, both fired onto the same screen with the Sony lens shift allowing to match exactly the same position on the screen as the Optoma and they used a table tennis bat to quickly cover each lens to compare.

I brought along the brother who had an OLED at the time and was even more accustomed to high quality sharp images than me as a second opinion. Didn't really need his input because to me the difference was quite dramatic, the contrast and blacks plus superior colours of the Sony almost give the impression it's sharper, in any case he fully agreed with my opinion.

I hear you say why didn't you try the Optoma a proper UHD disc? Well I did but the same basic issues I had before were still present, poor contrast and poor colours compared to the Sony.
Alaric likes this.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)

Last edited by Luminated67; 04-03-2019 at 08:01 AM.
Luminated67 is online now  
post #804 of 866 Old 04-03-2019, 05:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JewDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, GA
Posts: 1,296
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Bradburry View Post
Just waiting on my mount.....


Can you please confirm if FI is available when watching a 4K blu Ray??? I know it’s not due to the manual and what other people have said but it would help my curiosity. Thank you!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JewDaddy is offline  
post #805 of 866 Old 04-03-2019, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member
 
Luminated67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 859
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by JewDaddy View Post
Can you please confirm if FI is available when watching a 4K blu Ray??? I know it’s not due to the manual and what other people have said but it would help my curiosity. Thank you!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It is not available with 4K discs or if you let your Bluray player do the upscaling of a 1080P.
Alaric likes this.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)
Luminated67 is online now  
post #806 of 866 Old 04-03-2019, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
blastermaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sunny Okanagan
Posts: 2,103
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake18 View Post
To me, the difference is huge and very noticeable when it comes to contrast between the two technologies. Also, DLP definitely DOES have very abysmal brightness uniformity and color brightness. It's just awful.
I agree with you on the contrast, which is why I'm looking forward to taking an Epson for a spin on my next projector upgrade. But the brightness uniformity? I can't see any fault with it - movies look pretty amazing on it. It's about 13 feet from my screen which is a 138" curved 2.35:1 AT screen. It's plenty bright and the image is pin sharp. DLP is not awful by any stretch, but when you compare it to the Epson, for example, you can definitely see the lack of black levels, contrast, etc.

Gear: The Brains: Anthem MRX 720. The Brawn: Outlaw 7700. The Fun: Custom PC w/ Logitech 27 & reverse mount pedals, Nintendo Switch, Playstation PS4 Pro. The Visuals: Oppo 203, Darbee Darblet, Optoma HD3300, Panamorph UH480, DIY 138" Curved screen using Semour Centerstage XD AT material. The Audio: 7.1.4: LCR: Tannoy DC12i. Sides: Tannoy IW63DC. Rears: Tannoy DC8i. Ceilings: Tannoy CMS 603/601 DCBM. Subs: 3X Micro Marty and 1X Full Marty.
blastermaster is offline  
post #807 of 866 Old 04-03-2019, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
blake18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,078
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake18 View Post
To me, the difference is huge and very noticeable when it comes to contrast between the two technologies. Also, DLP definitely DOES have very abysmal brightness uniformity and color brightness. It's just awful.
I agree with you on the contrast, which is why I'm looking forward to taking an Epson for a spin on my next projector upgrade. But the brightness uniformity? I can't see any fault with it - movies look pretty amazing on it. It's about 13 feet from my screen which is a 138" curved 2.35:1 AT screen. It's plenty bright and the image is pin sharp. DLP is not awful by any stretch, but when you compare it to the Epson, for example, you can definitely see the lack of black levels, contrast, etc.
Oh yes, the brightness uniformity is only 59% on the Optoma UHD65, and it tends to be bad on most DLPs, I find it to be very noticeable.
WynsWrld98 likes this.

Lumenlab "Community driven video lab".
blake18 is offline  
post #808 of 866 Old 04-03-2019, 09:43 AM
Member
 
tomtoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pensacola
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Let's see some in depth reviews from you boys that have gotten one of these 5050UBs!!!!
WynsWrld98 likes this.
tomtoo is offline  
post #809 of 866 Old 04-03-2019, 10:18 AM
Member
 
JAR5197's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Mount It

Planning on getting 5050 soon.
Can the group please give me some ideas for a good mount that I won't have to take out a second mortgage for?
Nine foot ceiling so won't need a long extension.
Thanks
JAR5197 is offline  
post #810 of 866 Old 04-03-2019, 10:23 AM
Member
 
Janhaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Got mine in yesterday, mount arriving today - excited to get this set up
Janhaus is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off