VIEWSONIC PX700HD : Budget DLP 1080P projector with 16ms input lag - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #31 of 43 Old 05-19-2020, 01:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by esmailin View Post
Hello everyone, I am new to projectors and I am really hoping to get some advice So, I recently purchased the PX700HD new for $450. Then I started reading about RGBRGB color wheel and thought that might make a bigger difference with picture quality and also purchased the Viewsonic PX727HD for $749 but has less lumens at 2000. I honestly don't know which one to keep.

My setup:
150 inch Elite manual pull down screen
Projector about 15-16ft from the screen. I sit about 15 ft from the screen.
I mainly watch movies and can make the room fully dark. I would also occasionally want to watch movies during the day with a fair amount of sunlight coming into the room (but not directly at the screen)

Preliminary testing that I've done with both projectors I don't think I've seen a huge difference, but I really haven't tested them a whole lot.

I'm really torn if it's worth $300 dollars more for the 727 with the setup I have.

Would love to get your advice and recommendations for these two units.

Thanks a bunch!
Not sure why you don't see the difference. Maybe because the screen is too large?

RGBRGB color wheels will have better color, and it should be obvious. Maybe try Cinema preset on both.

The lumen claim from the manufacturer is not accurate. I'm not sure what the real difference is, if there is any.

What preset are you using and is it bright enough?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 Old 05-19-2020, 07:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
So both units are on the "movie" setting.

You mentioned brightness, do you think I should try increasing the brightness some on the PX727HD? I have been using both of them in a dark room no lights.

I was hoping to see better color saturation with the 727, but as of now I really don't think I see much of a difference.

So do you think screen size may be the reason why, is this because the farther out the unit is the dimmer it may be getting?

Let's say hypothetically it is due to screen size, should I just stay with the cheaper 700HD? Is there any other potential benefit I could get if I kept the 727 instead? I have two more weeks to decide

Appreciate your feedback very much!
post #33 of 43 Old 05-19-2020, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So both units are on the "movie" setting.

You mentioned brightness, do you think I should try increasing the brightness some on the PX727HD? I have been using both of them in a dark room no lights.

I was hoping to see better color saturation with the 727, but as of now I really don't think I see much of a difference.

So do you think screen size may be the reason why, is this because the farther out the unit is the dimmer it may be getting?

Let's say hypothetically it is due to screen size, should I just stay with the cheaper 700HD? Is there any other potential benefit I could get if I kept the 727 instead? I have two more weeks to decide

Appreciate your feedback very much!
If you can't tell the difference then great.

Maybe watch some more or both units, maybe you'll see a difference. But if you can't than keep the 700.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 43 Old 05-19-2020, 05:52 PM

Ok, so after more testing here is what I am noticing:

Both set to "movie" without any other adjustments, I do notice that the 727HD has more accurate color than the 700HD. However, the 700HD has significantly more contrast and pop to the image than the 727HD. The 727HD just looks too dull on my screen. I'm guessing then that the size/distance of my screen might be better suited for the 700HD.

I know that the 700HD doesn't have a RGBRGB color wheel, but do you think with calibration I could improve the accuracy of the colors somewhat since I really like the contrast/brightness of the 700HD better than the 727?
post #35 of 43 Old 05-20-2020, 01:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ok, so after more testing here is what I am noticing:

Both set to "movie" without any other adjustments, I do notice that the 727HD has more accurate color than the 700HD. However, the 700HD has significantly more contrast and pop to the image than the 727HD. The 727HD just looks too dull on my screen. I'm guessing then that the size/distance of my screen might be better suited for the 700HD.

I know that the 700HD doesn't have a RGBRGB color wheel, but do you think with calibration I could improve the accuracy of the colors somewhat since I really like the contrast/brightness of the 700HD better than the 727?
Calibration is expensive, unless you eyeball it. However if you read the reviews you'll notice that after these non RGBRGB color wheel projectors are calibrated, the brightness drops to what a RGBRGB model or even lower.

150" is a large screen and I would have went with something like a Epson HC3100/3700. They are available refurbished but can't be sent back unless they are faulty:
https://epson.com/Clearance-Center/H...inment/c/cc301
post #36 of 43 Old 05-20-2020, 05:11 AM

I appreciate your feedback. I may look at those Epson models, however if you don’t mind me asking, why do you think those models might be better for my setup? Thanks so much for your input.
post #37 of 43 Old 05-20-2020, 05:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I appreciate your feedback. I may look at those Epson models, however if you don’t mind me asking, why do you think those models might be better for my setup? Thanks so much for your input.
3100/3700 are about twice as bright as the Viewsonics. They also have almost twice better native contrast and many times more dynamic contrast. Better black level. 28ms lag on the Epson, 16ms on game mode on the Viewsonics. Good colors, better than non RGBRGB. More silent in Eco mode, which is possible because in Eco modes the Epsons are brighter than the VIewsonic on High lamp. DLP has better motion handling, for sports.

LE:
The Epsons also have proper lens shift.

HT3550 DLP (left) vs. HC3800 3LCD (right) on an 133" white screen. The DLP in this video has higher lag:

Last edited by noob00224; 05-20-2020 at 05:33 AM.
post #38 of 43 Old 05-20-2020, 08:16 AM

Ok I look forward to trying the Epson! I found an open box on Amazon so I should be able to test it. Thanks again you’ve been a great help!!
post #39 of 43 Old 05-20-2020, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ok I look forward to trying the Epson! I found an open box on Amazon so I should be able to test it. Thanks again you’ve been a great help!!
The Epson refurbs have warranty and are directly from Epson. Not sure how much less it is, or if it has warranty.
post #40 of 43 Old 05-20-2020, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Quoted: 2430 Post(s)
Liked: 1297
@esmailin

I have owned Viewsonic projectors for my last two projectors and one was an RGBCYW and the one I have now is RGBRGB. There is not a huge difference in the picture quality between the two when run in the more accurate color modes (movie). In some ways I might even give an edge to the RGBCYW when it comes to bright yellows. The biggest difference is in the black level and the RGBRGB being more of a true home theater projector the pro there is deeper blacks without the white segment in the light path.

RGBCYW were first brought about as presentation projectors (classroom) but some of them did a very good job of sports and even movies and we started calling them crossover projectors. When you are comparing them watching bright movies you wont see much difference when you watch movies that are dark content and watch them in a pitch black room that has dark walls and ceilings you will see a bigger difference. So room and room light and content play a part.

Right now I like the Viewsonic PX725HD it has been bouncing around in price quite a bit.
noob00224 likes this.

Bud
post #41 of 43 Old 05-20-2020, 01:45 PM

Appreciate all of the advice. And you are right about the Epson warranty from their website and it’s actually cheaper
How difficult is it to get a replacement bulb on a discontinued projector?
post #42 of 43 Old 05-20-2020, 06:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Appreciate all of the advice. And you are right about the Epson warranty from their website and it’s actually cheaper
How difficult is it to get a replacement bulb on a discontinued projector?
Many manufacturers sell lamps long after the projector is discontinued. You'll probably be able to get one 10 years from now.
post #43 of 43 Old 05-30-2020, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
Many manufacturers sell lamps long after the projector is discontinued. You'll probably be able to get one 10 years from now.

Hi There!

Just wanted to thank you for the Epson recommendation. Movies look much better for my setup than the viewsonic PX700HD! It's significantly brighter and has more pop along with more accurate colors!

I purchased the Epson from Amazon to try out first and then was planning on buying it direct from Epson because of the warranty if I liked it, but before I do that I wanted to ask you your opinion on something. When I choose any other settings other than Bright Cinema, the picture looks awful. Everything I watch is essentially a very bright white/blue with hardly any other colors noticeable and the image becomes significantly pixelated. I try making manual adjustments but still a horrible picture. When I choose Bright Cinema everything goes back to a great image. Could there be something defective with this particular unit?

Truly appreciate your opinion and insight!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page