Optoma UHD i5 4k (0.47) LED projector - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

post #31 of 129 Old 08-27-2018, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Send a message via Skype™ to Tuan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
Tuan,

Any chance we might see this at Cedia? Will Optoma be exhibiting there?
We won't have a dedicated booth at CEDIA, but will be at the ADI Global Distribution booth #4135 .

We're going to have the UHZ65 as a live demo there again, since its more catered to the custom installer crowd. However, we will have a couple static demo units on display...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 129 Old 08-27-2018, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1594 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuan View Post
We won't have a dedicated booth at CEDIA, but will be at the ADI Global Distribution booth #4135 .

We're going to have the UHZ65 as a live demo there again, since its more catered to the custom installer crowd. However, we will have a couple static demo units on display...
Tuan,

I hope the Z65 demo will be in a little better situation than last year. The setup they had did not do the projector justice. It was primarily the choice of the screen they used and the booth was uncomfortably small.

Also, please talk to the PM on the UHL55, assuming that it is coming to the US. I have discovered that Directv, and presumably other broadcasters like DISH, Comcast, etc., are embedding HLG(Hybrid Log Gamma) in their signals. This apparently is similar to HDR but for broadcasters instead of streamers. I recently received it in a firmware update to my 2015 Denon AVR. It is amazing with the added color and contrast for the HD channels. If it is included on the projector I won't have to go out and buy another AVR for my HT room. Instead I put the money into my new Optoma UHL55.

Jack
post #33 of 129 Old 08-27-2018, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Tuan,

I hope the Z65 demo will be in a little better situation than last year. The setup they had did not do the projector justice. It was primarily the choice of the screen they used and the booth was uncomfortably small.

Also, please talk to the PM on the UHL55, assuming that it is coming to the US. I have discovered that Directv, and presumably other broadcasters like DISH, Comcast, etc., are embedding HLG(Hybrid Log Gamma) in their signals. This apparently is similar to HDR but for broadcasters instead of streamers. I recently received it in a firmware update to my 2015 Denon AVR. It is amazing with the added color and contrast for the HD channels. If it is included on the projector I won't have to go out and buy another AVR for my HT room. Instead I put the money into my new Optoma UHL55.
I can ask about it. BTW do you have an X7200WA? I'm still waiting for the update on my X4200W .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 129 Old 08-27-2018, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I can ask about it. BTW do you have an X7200WA? I'm still waiting for the update on my X4200W .
I have to x3200W. They started with the low entry ones first and are working up to the higher end ones. Your 4200 should get updated pretty soon. As I write this I am wondering about the technical side of this. The HLG seems to work no matter if the Denon is in passthough mode while on or in passthrough while off. The main part of the update was DolbyVision support. Could it be possible that my non-HDR Vizio is displaying an HDR(HLG) picture without knowing that it's doing that? So would this mean that if I stream a DolbyVision signal to the Denon that it will decode that and the Vizio will display a DV picture even though it doesn't support DV. This could mean a new life for all the older flat panels. Wow!

As you think all of this through you can see why HLG support on the UHL55 could be so important. If the firmware is not update-able through the internet, like the pre-51A projectors, then not having HLG in the initial release is a real problem.
Tuan likes this.

Jack
post #35 of 129 Old 08-28-2018, 07:41 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Tuan - do you (or the PM) have any insight on whether the device will be certified for Android TV and Netflix support?
It's very exciting times indeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by springroll2000 View Post
Taiwanese specs are out: https://www.optoma.com/tw/product/uhl55/
A few articles also state Alexa and Google Assistant support; along with apps like Netflix, NBA, Spotify...etc. This is getting more exciting. (reference: http://www.stufftaiwan.com/2018/08/1...C%83%E5%A5%BD/ )

It does seem that it's not using the official Android TV system, and instead it's a modified for TV version of Android 6.0. The apps seem to be the one you can get through Aptoid marketplace (therefore, whether the Netflix app may not be the one supporting 1080p and above).

That said, we won't know for certain until it's officially released and also ported for international release. I won't be surprised that it is in the middle of getting certifications for the international release.

If it does have official Alexa and Android TV support (along with Netflix, Hulu...etc), this may just sell like hot cakes.
post #36 of 129 Old 08-30-2018, 09:59 AM

Just stumbled upon on this Australian retailer site
https://www.justprojectors.com.au/optomauhl55.htm
There is a picture of its remote, but no mention of its Android capabilities.
At 2799AUD (about 2000USD), I sure hope that's not the finalized price.
post #37 of 129 Old 08-30-2018, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just stumbled upon on this Australian retailer site
https://www.justprojectors.com.au/optomauhl55.htm
There is a picture of its remote, but no mention of its Android capabilities.
At 2799AUD (about 2000USD), I sure hope that's not the finalized price.
Looks a lot like an Xgimi H2. I wonder if it is made by Xgimi and rebranded as an Optoma.

Jack
post #38 of 129 Old 08-30-2018, 11:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

This seems like very sad news for me. I was hoping we would be getting new versions of those 4k DLP Laser projectors at CEDIA.
post #39 of 129 Old 08-30-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Looks a lot like an Xgimi H2. I wonder if it is made by Xgimi and rebranded as an Optoma.
The biggest difference is the faux 4K capability, whereas H2 is 1080p.

All these LED projectors with similar size are all more or less produced with similar components and specs. What will set them apart is the distribution network, international support, firmware upgrade support, menu options, how the components are put together based on the company's engineering team, and company experience in adapting to customer expectations.

With the right positioning and marketing support internationally, Optoma may do well with this projector.
post #40 of 129 Old 08-30-2018, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The biggest difference is the faux 4K capability, whereas H2 is 1080p.

All these LED projectors with similar size are all more or less produced with similar components and specs. What will set them apart is the distribution network, international support, firmware upgrade support, menu options, how the components are put together based on the company's engineering team, and company experience in adapting to customer expectations.

With the right positioning and marketing support internationally, Optoma may do well with this projector.
I meant it physically looked like an H2. This is a new look for Optoma as nothing in their US product line looks like the UHL55, making it good candidate for having re-branded or custom built to order someone else's projector.

Jack
post #41 of 129 Old 08-31-2018, 08:47 AM

Tuan - Sorry for the multiple questions, I think folks here would also be interested if the HDMI port has eARC. It'd be extremely helpful to have Atmos with the projector.
post #42 of 129 Old 09-01-2018, 01:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 511
Quote:

The answer is no (Xgimi representative at IFA answer)

Last edited by kraine; 09-01-2018 at 07:30 AM.
post #43 of 129 Old 09-01-2018, 07:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraine View Post
The answer is now (Xgimi representative at IFA answer)
Kraine,

Have you finished your Z6 review yet? If not, when will we see it?

Jack
post #44 of 129 Old 09-01-2018, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 511
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraine View Post
The answer is now (Xgimi representative at IFA answer)
Kraine,

Have you finished your Z6 review yet? If not, when will we see it?
By the end of next week.
wheelee likes this.
post #45 of 129 Old 09-01-2018, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Tuan - Sorry for the multiple questions, I think folks here would also be interested if the HDMI port has eARC. It'd be extremely helpful to have Atmos with the projector.
Didn't eARC just get ratified in August--so it's unlikely. Maybe in time for CEDIA we will see something. You need a physical chip inside both the PJ as well as the receiver to do eARC. Not sure if everyone will be on board for at least one model cycle.
post #46 of 129 Old 09-03-2018, 01:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Most likely built by an OEM factory, Brand company responsible for some component and software modification.
post #47 of 129 Old 09-03-2018, 03:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 93
there are a lot of look-a-likes here in the middle kingdom then they just stamp in their name & logo -wala! a new product

XGimi CC, XGimi Z6, UKCSIS, Vmai M200 Pico
Xbox One S, LG SH4
post #48 of 129 Old 09-03-2018, 06:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelee View Post
there are a lot of look-a-likes here in the middle kingdom then they just stamp in their name & logo -wala! a new product
Is there a XGIMI, a Xaomi, or JMJO that is basically the same as this?

Jack
post #49 of 129 Old 09-03-2018, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Is there a XGIMI, a Xaomi, or JMJO that is basically the same as this?
Xgimi just announced H3, Xiaomi not yet, JmGo I believe has one too.
post #50 of 129 Old 09-04-2018, 05:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roni44 View Post
Most likely built by an OEM factory, Brand company responsible for some component and software modification.
I don't think its us. Our parent company, Coretronic, is also an OEM.
post #51 of 129 Old 09-04-2018, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Tuan,

Any date on availability yet? Will it be on static display at Cedia? Will you be there?

Jack
post #52 of 129 Old 09-05-2018, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Tuan,

Any date on availability yet? Will it be on static display at Cedia? Will you be there?
Static will be at CEDIA at the ADI booth. Availability is later this month.

I will not be attending CEDIA, my team was preparing 15 new products to launch today. We'll have some sales and technical sales there.
post #53 of 129 Old 09-05-2018, 08:24 AM

I was looking at the only available manual online (the i5 Chinese one), and wasn't able to find an image size adjustment option.
I am very interested in this projector. Due to the room configuration, I was hoping that I can put it further away from the screen but then make the image smaller in the settings menu. It doesn't appear that's possible.
Tuan - Do you know if the projector allows for such operation? If not, I may have to settle at putting it on the floor or a low table at the fixed length away from the screen in order to achieve the desired size.
Thanks!
post #54 of 129 Old 09-05-2018, 08:31 AM

Quote:
I was looking at the only available manual online (the i5 Chinese one), and wasn't able to find an image size adjustment option.
I am very interested in this projector. Due to the room configuration, I was hoping that I can put it further away from the screen but then make the image smaller in the settings menu. It doesn't appear that's possible.
Tuan - Do you know if the projector allows for such operation? If not, I may have to settle at putting it on the floor or a low table at the fixed length away from the screen in order to achieve the desired size.
Thanks!
Never mind - i found it! It's called 數位縮放 (i.e. Digital zoom).
post #55 of 129 Old 09-05-2018, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Here's the product page. https://www.optoma.com/us/product/uhl55/
post #56 of 129 Old 09-05-2018, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Oh happy days!
post #57 of 129 Old 09-05-2018, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Never mind - i found it! It's called 數位縮放 (i.e. Digital zoom).
You do know that the projector is still throwing light beyond your screen and you will only be using portion of your chip estate for the reduced image. It is quite pointless then to go for a 4K projector. I just received this projector yesterday and got it ceiling mounted. Had to change the ceiling mount position because this projector has no lense zoom at all and it is totally dependent on the distance of the projector from screen for image size.
post #58 of 129 Old 09-05-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesleytansg View Post
You do know that the projector is still throwing light beyond your screen and you will only be using portion of your chip estate for the reduced image. It is quite pointless then to go for a 4K projector. I just received this projector yesterday and got it ceiling mounted. Had to change the ceiling mount position because this projector has no lense zoom at all and it is totally dependent on the distance of the projector from screen for image size.
Yes, I realized that. Besides that, how do you like it? What's the Android environment like?
post #59 of 129 Old 09-05-2018, 11:21 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Yes, I realized that. Besides that, how do you like it? What's the Android environment like?
Well first I must state that my projector is the i5 which I bought off TMall and got it shipped to Singapore and not the UHL55. Not sure if there will be any difference in the Taiwan and US release. I do not have any professional calibration devices so I will just give my general impression of the image with comparison to my former LG PF1500.

First off, the i5 default setting is rather warm or I would say carries a yellowish tint. I had to change colour temperature to cold (they have a cool setting but it was not enough for me) before I get a picture that I found was natural to my eyes. Comparatively to the PF1500 this projector of course has much better image quality since one is 4K while the other is 1080p. Colour is more vibrant and rich. I am currently projecting at 100in. I will give more feedback when I have time to test it more.
post #60 of 129 Old 09-06-2018, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesleytansg View Post
Well first I must state that my projector is the i5 which I bought off TMall and got it shipped to Singapore and not the UHL55. Not sure if there will be any difference in the Taiwan and US release. I do not have any professional calibration devices so I will just give my general impression of the image with comparison to my former LG PF1500.

First off, the i5 default setting is rather warm or I would say carries a yellowish tint. I had to change colour temperature to cold (they have a cool setting but it was not enough for me) before I get a picture that I found was natural to my eyes. Comparatively to the PF1500 this projector of course has much better image quality since one is 4K while the other is 1080p. Colour is more vibrant and rich. I am currently projecting at 100in. I will give more feedback when I have time to test it more.
Thank you for your initial review. i5 and UHL55 should be identical in spec, only difference will be the software implemented. I saw UHL55 in person during Audio show in Taiwan, unfortunately I didn't spend enough time and asking questions. However, my friend whom accompanied me owns UHD51 notice the calibration mode is same on the UHL55 and his UHD51 which lead me to believe i5/UHL55 can be properly calibrated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page