Optoma UHD i5 4k (0.47) LED projector - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

post #61 of 129 Old 09-06-2018, 03:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by roni44 View Post
Thank you for your initial review. i5 and UHL55 should be identical in spec, only difference will be the software implemented. I saw UHL55 in person during Audio show in Taiwan, unfortunately I didn't spend enough time and asking questions. However, my friend whom accompanied me owns UHD51 notice the calibration mode is same on the UHL55 and his UHD51 which lead me to believe i5/UHL55 can be properly calibrated.
Not sure about the software but the projector starts up into their default app (BestTV) which is pretty much one of those China subscription app to view streaming programmes. Most of the newer programmes are subscription locked. It is not really a full Android interface. Don't expect Play store or anything. You basically have that one app and that's it. Not really an issue for me since I only use the i5 as an output device for my minix media box. I have the projector in default eco mode but the brightness is lower than that of the PF1500 which is really not saying much (you can see the actual on-screen lumens for the PF1500 from projector central's review). I have not been able to use the 3D mode successfully perhaps because my sources are not compatible with the 3D SBS which the i5 is supposed to support. I have tried using the RGB gain and tint to adjust the picture colour with not much satisfaction (note: no professional calibration device) so the COLD colour temperature seems to be the best for me. the HDR SIM which I assume means HDR simulated also gives rather unpleasant colour. I am hoping for some firmware updates to improve the functionality. The interface is also different from the online (Chinese) manual I downloaded from the Optoma China website so it is not exactly friendly for even someone who can read and understand Chinese. It does come with a manual on a CD-ROM but I was not able to read it due to some problems with my CD reader. I will continue to try and test other settings and sources but all in all if you just want a cheap 4K alternative with relatively vibrant colour it is still pretty decent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 129 Old 09-06-2018, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesleytansg View Post
Not sure about the software but the projector starts up into their default app (BestTV) which is pretty much one of those China subscription app to view streaming programmes. Most of the newer programmes are subscription locked. It is not really a full Android interface. Don't expect Play store or anything. You basically have that one app and that's it. Not really an issue for me since I only use the i5 as an output device for my minix media box. I have the projector in default eco mode but the brightness is lower than that of the PF1500 which is really not saying much (you can see the actual on-screen lumens for the PF1500 from projector central's review). I have not been able to use the 3D mode successfully perhaps because my sources are not compatible with the 3D SBS which the i5 is supposed to support. I have tried using the RGB gain and tint to adjust the picture colour with not much satisfaction (note: no professional calibration device) so the COLD colour temperature seems to be the best for me. the HDR SIM which I assume means HDR simulated also gives rather unpleasant colour. I am hoping for some firmware updates to improve the functionality. The interface is also different from the online (Chinese) manual I downloaded from the Optoma China website so it is not exactly friendly for even someone who can read and understand Chinese. It does come with a manual on a CD-ROM but I was not able to read it due to some problems with my CD reader. I will continue to try and test other settings and sources but all in all if you just want a cheap 4K alternative with relatively vibrant colour it is still pretty decent.
The images I saw during the show was good enough for me to consider getting one, however, I'm still holding out on the UST projector from one of the Chinese brand. While I had my Xgimi H1S, which should be same difference apps installed on i5, and you are right, outside of China most apps are locked to China region only with some short 4k clips that's playable. You may want to try to install Kodi and see for yourself, Kodi in H1S gives the best picture quality over many other sources I've tried including media player, MacBook Air, windows 10 laptop.
post #63 of 129 Old 09-06-2018, 09:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1594 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Static demo unit at Cedia today. US shipping middle of this month and price around $1,699 US. Disappointed to hear that brightness is less than PF1500, which I currently own. In my light controlled HT room 1500 is just about right but I wouldn't want it any dimmer.

Edit: $1,599

Jack

Last edited by JackB; 09-07-2018 at 05:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 129 Old 09-06-2018, 11:27 PM

Roni44:

I am not concerned about the China App at all. I use a Minix Android media box and XMBC (a form of KODI) to stream my movies from my PC which acts as a server. Most of my shows are mkvs between 10GB to 20GB so no worries about qualities.

JackB: I will not be worried about the brightness if you have a light controlled room. It seems that the image will only be totally washed out when my light are on and I must clarify that my light is actually quite bright and white and directly shining down from right into the path of the projector from the screen. Once my lights are off, the i5 gives a much more brilliant performance.

Sadly I have not been able to use the projector to play any of my 3D mkvs be it SBS or TB. The 3D option just does not light up for me to select unless I switch the HDMI Eq but once I do that the image goes crazy. No idea what is HDMI Eq. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

When I am free I may upload some photos of the image. Videoing the screen causes the refresh issue similar to old school odd-even field scanning of the CRT TVs (something which I had not experience in a long time since progressive scanning was introduced). I may need to change my phone video recording shutter speed to match the frequency of the wobulation.
post #65 of 129 Old 09-07-2018, 05:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Roni44:

I am not concerned about the China App at all. I use a Minix Android media box and XMBC (a form of KODI) to stream my movies from my PC which acts as a server. Most of my shows are mkvs between 10GB to 20GB so no worries about qualities.

JackB: I will not be worried about the brightness if you have a light controlled room. It seems that the image will only be totally washed out when my light are on and I must clarify that my light is actually quite bright and white and directly shining down from right into the path of the projector from the screen. Once my lights are off, the i5 gives a much more brilliant performance.

Sadly I have not been able to use the projector to play any of my 3D mkvs be it SBS or TB. The 3D option just does not light up for me to select unless I switch the HDMI Eq but once I do that the image goes crazy. No idea what is HDMI Eq. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

When I am free I may upload some photos of the image. Videoing the screen causes the refresh issue similar to old school odd-even field scanning of the CRT TVs (something which I had not experience in a long time since progressive scanning was introduced). I may need to change my phone video recording shutter speed to match the frequency of the wobulation.
If you were to compare the experience of watching the 55 and the 1500 by a % would it be 25% better? 50% better? Twice as good? Etc. Also, like the 51A have they solved the light border issue with this projector?

Jack
post #66 of 129 Old 09-07-2018, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
If you were to compare the experience of watching the 55 and the 1500 by a % would it be 25% better? 50% better? Twice as good? Etc. Also, like the 51A have they solved the light border issue with this projector?
OMFG, I just managed to get the 3D to work with my 3D mkv sources and the effect is superb!!!! I was going to say that between the PF1500 to the i5 may be a 20% to 25% better because of the vibrancy since we do not really do pixel peering when watching a movie. The with the normal viewing distance and the motion, the pixels of a 1080p projector is not really that obvious in the first place. However, with the 3D working, I would say more than twice as good (sorry I am a sucker for 3D). The nice people of China sent me two pairs of optoma 3D shutter glasses for free with my projector.

I would say this, for 1700+ SGD (I am from Singapore), it is a steal. Not sure if you guys will rather ship in the China model or get the US one at a higher price. Of course, you will not have to worry about warranty if you get your local sets (I am assuming you are American).
Troy LaMont likes this.
post #67 of 129 Old 09-07-2018, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

post #68 of 129 Old 09-07-2018, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5546 Post(s)
Liked: 5993
Quote:
Static demo unit at Cedia today. US shipping middle of this month and price around $1,699 US. Disappointed to hear that brightness is less than PF1500, which I currently own. In my light controlled HT room 1500 is just about right but I wouldn't want it any dimmer.

Edit: $1,599
they are stating 1500 lumens in spec sheet, was other info provided at Cedia?

They are claiming P3 support, not just R709. I wonder how they are doing that if you have a chance to ask them. it would likely have to be a filter like the JVC's use.

ability to play back UHD HDR MKV's is a great feature. I will likely pick this up from B&H when they are available to check out.

DCI-P3

Color the way it is meant to be seen – rich, colorful and cinematic pictures and games via DCI-P3 wide color gamut coverage.

PC-Free USB 4K UHD HDR Media Player

Integrated 4K UHD HDR USB Media Player provides playback of 1080p and 4K UHD HDR video, audio files and images along with support for Office Documents and PDF Files.
post #69 of 129 Old 09-08-2018, 11:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
they are stating 1500 lumens in spec sheet, was other info provided at Cedia?

They are claiming P3 support, not just R709. I wonder how they are doing that if you have a chance to ask them. it would likely have to be a filter like the JVC's use.

ability to play back UHD HDR MKV's is a great feature. I will likely pick this up from B&H when they are available to check out.

DCI-P3

Color the way it is meant to be seen – rich, colorful and cinematic pictures and games via DCI-P3 wide color gamut coverage.

PC-Free USB 4K UHD HDR Media Player

Integrated 4K UHD HDR USB Media Player provides playback of 1080p and 4K UHD HDR video, audio files and images along with support for Office Documents and PDF Files.
Demo man couldn't answer P3 % coverage. He did hook it up to see if it had calibration tools available and it looked like they were the same as shown in the UHD51A. That is found on Page 25. One thing he used, but not advertised in the product sheet, was the ability to manually fine focus using < > buttons if the auto-focus wasn't satisfactory. Also, the brochure says ceiling mount but when I turned the unit over I didn't see any mounting holes. It appeared to me to be designed for a table mounting. I also couldn't see that the four rubber legs had the ability to be raised or lowered for leveling. It did have a nice quality feel with steel casing.

One last thing was the lack of HLG support. I asked about it and the demo man didn't know what it was but dashed off an email to the PM asking about it. Most of my viewing is Directv and they are now delivering HLG signals. It makes a big difference. He did say that the UHL55 was field firmware deliverable so I'm hoping that will be added quickly. I've decided to replace my PF1500 with one of these when they ship mid-September.

Jack
post #70 of 129 Old 09-08-2018, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Demo man couldn't answer P3 % coverage. He did hook it up to see if it had calibration tools available and it looked like they were the same as shown in the UHD51A. That is found on Page 25. One thing he used, but not advertised in the product sheet, was the ability to manually fine focus using < > buttons if the auto-focus wasn't satisfactory. Also, the brochure says ceiling mount but when I turned the unit over I didn't see any mounting holes. It appeared to me to be designed for a table mounting. I also couldn't see that the four rubber legs had the ability to be raised or lowered for leveling. It did have a nice quality feel with steel casing.

One last thing was the lack of HLG support. I asked about it and the demo man didn't know what it was but dashed off an email to the PM asking about it. Most of my viewing is Directv and they are now delivering HLG signals. It makes a big difference. He did say that the UHL55 was field firmware deliverable so I'm hoping that will be added quickly. I've decided to replace my PF1500 with one of these when they ship mid-September.
Thanks for the info, I like that it has 3D support as well. I'll likely pick this up as well when it's released and can provide details on it's potential P3 coverage.
post #71 of 129 Old 09-09-2018, 03:15 AM

Quote:

I am certain the i5 (and so assumingly the UHL55) can be ceiling mounted. Mine is hanging on my ceiling now. The four rubber legs are screwed on and can be unscrewed to adjust the leveling if you wish or removed and the screw hole and thread be used for your ceiling mount.
post #72 of 129 Old 09-09-2018, 03:21 AM

For those intending to switch to the UHL55, the one drawback of the projector is that it does not allow you to manually select the viewing resolution and refresh/frame rate. Instead it will automatically select based on the source. Now this may seem a small issue but it does mean that you need to have a media player which allows you to vary the output resolution and refresh rate in order to play back 1080p 3D sources.
post #73 of 129 Old 09-09-2018, 06:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Does this projector feature the light boarder?
post #74 of 129 Old 09-09-2018, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ DOOM View Post
I am not too certain what is this light border that so many people are mentioning. However my i5 is given me a full picture with no borders of any sort. Based on the description I am assuming there is a fringing line of white light at the border of the picture. Well rest assure there isn't such a problem with the i5.
post #75 of 129 Old 09-09-2018, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
For those intending to switch to the UHL55, the one drawback of the projector is that it does not allow you to manually select the viewing resolution and refresh/frame rate. Instead it will automatically select based on the source. Now this may seem a small issue but it does mean that you need to have a media player which allows you to vary the output resolution and refresh rate in order to play back 1080p 3D sources.
I watch mostly Directv satellite broadcast and have it set to "Native", which means it will pass through the broadcast resolution. I assume what you are saying here is that it will convert whatever source you feed it it up to 4K resolution at 60Hz. Is that correct?

Jack
post #76 of 129 Old 09-09-2018, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I am certain the i5 (and so assumingly the UHL55) can be ceiling mounted. Mine is hanging on my ceiling now. The four rubber legs are screwed on and can be unscrewed to adjust the leveling if you wish or removed and the screw hole and thread be used for your ceiling mount.
Thanks for the clarification. Sounds like you have a four point leveling capability. Are these rubber legs actually engineered for the leveling purpose or is just a DIY way of achieving leveling? The question is how easy is it to move each leg in making the appropriate adjustment?

Jack
post #77 of 129 Old 09-09-2018, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

After reading the spec sheet I came up with two questions. Zombie, with your next level knowledge maybe you can answer these:

1. The spec says the LEDs arrangement is RGBB. Do I recall correctly that Blue is the weakest LED so they have to use two of them to make up the difference? Did the PF1500 have a second blue LED?

2. The contrast ratio is listed as 250,000:1. The 51A and other lamp based Optoma 4Ks are listed as 500,000:1. This info is on a list sheet of all there projectors that was handed out at the booth. The UHL55 features description lists "Dynamic Black Technology", "This feature gives more depth to your image by smoothly adjusting the lamp output to create a stunning high contrast ratio". I thought this function worked better on LED and laser projectors than on bulbs. The bulb projectors are listed at 2400 lumens while the UHL55 is 1400 lumens. So you have a faster dimming mechanism and lower light. Why wouldn't the contrast ratios be reversed? It doesn't make sense unless the bulb projectors have a mechanical iris. Unless Optoma wants to sell more bulbs. Seems like the 55 should have a contrast ratio approaching the UHZ65, which they list as 1,200,000:1.

Jack
post #78 of 129 Old 09-09-2018, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ DOOM View Post
My friend and I didn't see the light boarder during the demo, (my friend owns UHD51).
post #79 of 129 Old 09-09-2018, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Roni44:

I really don't care China apps at all too. Like you I use my computer for now with kodi watching all my movies, however, if I do upgrade to 4k projector I will look into media box unless the player built inside of UHL55 can handle 4k mkv files smoothly. Very fortunate, UHL55 is bit cheaper in Taiwan street price should be around 1300USD and Optoma headquarter literally across from my condo if I ever need service.
post #80 of 129 Old 09-10-2018, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roni44 View Post
I really don't care China apps at all too. Like you I use my computer for now with kodi watching all my movies, however, if I do upgrade to 4k projector I will look into media box unless the player built inside of UHL55 can handle 4k mkv files smoothly. Very fortunate, UHL55 is bit cheaper in Taiwan street price should be around 1300USD and Optoma headquarter literally across from my condo if I ever need service.
You are lucky; Singapore's market for projector is small so even if they do bring in the UHL55 it will usually be far more costly than almost any other place. So I will just have to cross my fingers and hope that my China i5 does not give me any problems. I am guess the media player of the UHL55 can handle 4K but what about sound? Surely you don't intend to use the projector sound. Right now I run the a LAN cable to my media player and HDMI cable from media player to my Marantz SR5010 amp and then an extremely HDMI cable from that to the projector.
post #81 of 129 Old 09-10-2018, 03:29 AM

Just uploaded a few screen recordings to YouTube (shot on a Samsung Note 8 at 1/60 shutter speed, ISO800, Colour Temp 5500K):

Forgot to turn off my desk lamp but I am too lazy to re-record.

Last edited by wesleytansg; 09-10-2018 at 04:33 AM.
post #82 of 129 Old 09-10-2018, 06:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Wesleytang,

The UHL55 will be placed between my two viewing chairs. Can you tell me how the projector exhausts the hot air. To the rear I hope.

Jack
post #83 of 129 Old 09-10-2018, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Wesleytang,

The UHL55 will be placed between my two viewing chairs. Can you tell me how the projector exhausts the hot air. To the rear I hope.
Unfortunately it exhausts the hot air from the two sides.
post #84 of 129 Old 09-10-2018, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ouch!

Jack
post #85 of 129 Old 09-10-2018, 06:33 PM

Quote:
After reading the spec sheet I came up with two questions. Zombie, with your next level knowledge maybe you can answer these:

1. The spec says the LEDs arrangement is RGBB. Do I recall correctly that Blue is the weakest LED so they have to use two of them to make up the difference? Did the PF1500 have a second blue LED?

2. The contrast ratio is listed as 250,000:1. The 51A and other lamp based Optoma 4Ks are listed as 500,000:1. This info is on a list sheet of all there projectors that was handed out at the booth. The UHL55 features description lists "Dynamic Black Technology", "This feature gives more depth to your image by smoothly adjusting the lamp output to create a stunning high contrast ratio". I thought this function worked better on LED and laser projectors than on bulbs. The bulb projectors are listed at 2400 lumens while the UHL55 is 1400 lumens. So you have a faster dimming mechanism and lower light. Why wouldn't the contrast ratios be reversed? It doesn't make sense unless the bulb projectors have a mechanical iris. Unless Optoma wants to sell more bulbs. Seems like the 55 should have a contrast ratio approaching the UHZ65, which they list as 1,200,000:1.

The PF1500 was just RGB, I don't recall if any other DLP LED's have the extra blue led. it could make sense, typically with a D65 calibration we pull down red and green to match with blue which costs lumens. It will be interesting to see what it measures @ D65.

it's hard to say how they come up with the contrast measurements, they are usually far off from reality.

When it arrives, the 3 main area I'll look at is D65 lumen output, P3 coverage & native / dynamic contrast
post #86 of 129 Old 09-10-2018, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
You are lucky; Singapore's market for projector is small so even if they do bring in the UHL55 it will usually be far more costly than almost any other place. So I will just have to cross my fingers and hope that my China i5 does not give me any problems. I am guess the media player of the UHL55 can handle 4K but what about sound? Surely you don't intend to use the projector sound. Right now I run the a LAN cable to my media player and HDMI cable from media player to my Marantz SR5010 amp and then an extremely HDMI cable from that to the projector.
I have my 2ch Martin Logan/Primare serve both music and movies, maybe one day I will build a surround sound again. However, my wife loves built in speaker when we had Xgimi H1S, she can just plug and play musics.
post #87 of 129 Old 09-11-2018, 02:45 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
From the China version of UM, it seems hot air exhausts from the back ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pic1.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	2453942  
post #88 of 129 Old 09-11-2018, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinLu View Post
From the China version of UM, it seems hot air exhausts from the back ...
Oh thanks for the correction. I saw the air vents on the side and assumed that it was exhausting from the side. Did not look through the manual.
post #89 of 129 Old 09-11-2018, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Ouch!
Hi Jack,

My mistake which another forum user has corrected. The side vents are for air intake and the i5 exhaust to the back. Apologies for the wrong info.

Regards.
post #90 of 129 Old 09-11-2018, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi Jack,

My mistake which another forum user has corrected. The side vents are for air intake and the i5 exhaust to the back. Apologies for the wrong info.

Regards.
Excellent! I hope they ship this thing next week like the Optoma rep said they would.

Jack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page