Anyone who has : EPSON 2150 (TW-5650) or Viewsonic Pro 7827HD - recommendation needed - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 06-09-2018, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Lightbulb Anyone who has : EPSON 2150 (TW-5650) or Viewsonic Pro 7827HD - recommendation needed

Hi everyone,
I am about to purchase my first projector, the main purposes are to watch movies and run some presentations in a tutorial class.
I've done a bit of a research and study on 3LCD vs 1 Chip DLP so I guess I am aware of the 'usual' pros and cons.

Now, here's a thing..in my country, or let's say a city I live in doesn't have a projector shop which I could see and try each model for myself.
So, the best thing I could do is read some reviews online.

I have a relative who is a dealer of computers and peripherals who could order the projector for me, with a special price.
(Even with a special price in my country, with added tax and import fees it's still more expensive than MSRP in the USA)

I've cut down my selections into these two, which represent different technologies, I will list them with a price in my country (BenQ isn't available to purchase)

1. EPSON 2150 (TW-5650 in my country) : $978 (3LCDs)
2. VIEWSONIC PRO7827HD : $703 (1chip DLP)

I would like some recommendation on which projector I should purchase...
Especially from those of you who own one of these - I need to ask specifically for these two models because I really can't try them in person.

Is the EPSON worth $275 over the Viewsonic?

I would appreciate any recommendation and answers
Thank you so much in advance !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-11-2018, 04:18 AM - Thread Starter

I guess I might just flip a coin because I need to purchase it within this week for work
post #3 of 13 Old 06-11-2018, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 31
In my experience, between the previous (~2009ish) generation of LCDs and DLPs at this price point, I would go with the Epson, not only because I'm rainbow sensitive, but because DLPs show more banding in gradient colors than LCDs. Again, this is at an entry level price point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 06-11-2018, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_R_STL View Post
In my experience, between the previous (~2009ish) generation of LCDs and DLPs at this price point, I would go with the Epson, not only because I'm rainbow sensitive, but because DLPs show more banding in gradient colors than LCDs. Again, this is at an entry level price point.
Thank you Greg for your opinion, and thanks for starting off.
I don't know if I am rainbow sensitive but regarding banding, it seems quite important for the work I do.

Yes, entry level price point. I am only considering between these two.

Appreciate your comment.
post #5 of 13 Old 06-12-2018, 02:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Projectors have come a long way since 2009, no? The 2150 is very good as for movies in a dark room, and it can also be fairly bright to compete with ambient light. That particular Viewsonic looks to be much less bright.

Review:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/view...tor-review.htm
post #6 of 13 Old 06-12-2018, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 274
If you are using the projector for academic work then I'd suggest getting one that has 1920x1200 resolution as this is better for presenting text and data.
post #7 of 13 Old 06-12-2018, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 21
My first two projectors were Viewsonics. I had the 5134 and the 7820. I really liked both of them. I ended up auditioning both of those to friends and sold them to upgrade. (I didn't have to just wanted to...)

My past two, which I currently still own, are the Epson 760 and the 3700. The 760 is in my son's play room and the 3700 is my living room display. I Love the image on the Epsons. I'm not sensitive to rainbows just wanted to see the difference between DLP and LCD. I personally prefer the LCD.

I would suggest the Epson 2150 over the Viewsonic 7827.

If you could swing a little higher on your budget, the 3700 is on sale at BB right now for $999.

Edit.... What country are we talking about?? Lol.

Last edited by jayhudock; 06-12-2018 at 04:15 PM.
post #8 of 13 Old 06-12-2018, 04:28 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Going off specs only... I didn't see any one of them, but if I were in your position and about to order one blind, I'd go with pson because it has frame interpolation. Also, for presentations, assume some ambient light present Epson has more lumens. Plus much more placement flexibility. List goes on and on.

Epson is the clear choice.
post #9 of 13 Old 06-12-2018, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

[quote=Roy G Biv;56333124]Projectors have come a long way since 2009, no? The 2150 is very good as for movies in a dark room, and it can also be fairly bright to compete with ambient light. That particular Viewsonic looks to be much less bright.

That's a very good point indeed, Roy. I really like the flexibility point you suggested.
Thanks a lot !
post #10 of 13 Old 06-12-2018, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy G Biv View Post
Projectors have come a long way since 2009, no? The 2150 is very good as for movies in a dark room, and it can also be fairly bright to compete with ambient light. That particular Viewsonic looks to be much less bright.
That's a very good point indeed, Roy. I really like the flexibility point you suggested.
Thanks a lot !
post #11 of 13 Old 06-12-2018, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
If you are using the projector for academic work then I'd suggest getting one that has 1920x1200 resolution as this is better for presenting text and data.
It is academic work. I really appreciate your comment, I will surely consider it ! Surely, didn't think about that and though FULL HD was enough LOL
post #12 of 13 Old 06-12-2018, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhudock View Post
My first two projectors were Viewsonics. I had the 5134 and the 7820. I really liked both of them. I ended up auditioning both of those to friends and sold them to upgrade. (I didn't have to just wanted to...)

My past two, which I currently still own, are the Epson 760 and the 3700. The 760 is in my son's play room and the 3700 is my living room display. I Love the image on the Epsons. I'm not sensitive to rainbows just wanted to see the difference between DLP and LCD. I personally prefer the LCD.

I would suggest the Epson 2150 over the Viewsonic 7827.

If you could swing a little higher on your budget, the 3700 is on sale at BB right now for $999.

Edit.... What country are we talking about?? Lol.
I really appreciate your comment Jay, especially coming from the real user of both brands and technologies.

I was leaning towards the Epson, too..but as I couldn't compare them in person, thought I would really like to hear opinions from real users because of the price differences and them being DLP vs 3LCD

Your comment pretty much sums it up, along with other comments seem to go towards the EPSON

I will surely consider the 3700, have to check what the model number in my country is, and the price LOL

Glad you wondered about the country LOL! I live in Thailand, but not in the capital city. I'm sure there are some projectors shops which you could try out in Bangkok.

Thanks again
post #13 of 13 Old 06-12-2018, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuieve View Post
Going off specs only... I didn't see any one of them, but if I were in your position and about to order one blind, I'd go with pson because it has frame interpolation. Also, for presentations, assume some ambient light present Epson has more lumens. Plus much more placement flexibility. List goes on and on.

Epson is the clear choice.
Thanks a lot for your opinion ! I appreciate it !

the opinions seem to go one way here, so I've decided to go with Epson.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson , Viewsonic

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page