Projector Upgrade or Downgrade? Sony VPL-FE40 (old) or ViewSonic PRO7827HD (new) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-13-2018, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Projector Upgrade or Downgrade? Sony VPL-FE40 (old) or ViewSonic PRO7827HD (new)

Hi,

So a few times per year I bust out the Sony VPL-FE40 (review here: https://www.zdnet.com/product/sony-vpl-fe40/) and do an outdoor movie night at my house using an older Dell laptop plugged into the projector, then I use my outdoor speakers as the sound (audio over cat6).

Its a nice setup but the projector was a hand me down - seems to work OK - sometimes gets temperamental. Anyway I saw on one of the deal websites that the Viewsonic PRO7827HD was on sale.

It is 1080 which would be a nice upgrade - I think the Sony doesnt do native 16:9 but I am a bit of a projector newb.

Ideally something I could use with a Fire TV would be cool, I am using an analog audio out for sound. Maybe something brighter would be nice and lighter would be good too.

Any ideas if this is an upgrade or downgrade? I do like shiny new things so it could be part of my mindset.

The Sony specs (from ZDnet) say its a 4000 lumen projector but it is 10 years old also.

Thanks, Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-13-2018, 02:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichTJ99 View Post
Hi,

So a few times per year I bust out the Sony VPL-FE40 (review here: https://www.zdnet.com/product/sony-vpl-fe40/) and do an outdoor movie night at my house using an older Dell laptop plugged into the projector, then I use my outdoor speakers as the sound (audio over cat6).

Its a nice setup but the projector was a hand me down - seems to work OK - sometimes gets temperamental. Anyway I saw on one of the deal websites that the Viewsonic PRO7827HD was on sale.

It is 1080 which would be a nice upgrade - I think the Sony doesnt do native 16:9 but I am a bit of a projector newb.

Ideally something I could use with a Fire TV would be cool, I am using an analog audio out for sound. Maybe something brighter would be nice and lighter would be good too.

Any ideas if this is an upgrade or downgrade? I do like shiny new things so it could be part of my mindset.

The Sony specs (from ZDnet) say its a 4000 lumen projector but it is 10 years old also.

Thanks, Rich
hi,

if you need something brighter than the Sony, then that Viewsonic model won't do it for sure. Other than that, the Viewsonic should improve the image on almost every level, although I bet the build quality and lens are a lot better on the Sony.

4,3 x 2,8m semi-blacked out media room | 2010 MacMini > Pioneer VSX-520-K > JVC RS50 (X7) > 107", 1.1 gain, white screen | JVC X30 (RS45)
post #3 of 5 Old 06-13-2018, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Quoted: 3055 Post(s)
Liked: 3170
The Sony was rated at 4000 lumens but depending on where it is in it's lamp interval it might not be that much brighter than the Viewsonic-- if at all. Besides lumen count the viewsonic should trounce that old Sony. The Viewsonic is one of the best deals going right now.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 06-14-2018, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The room size I want to use is 13x13 roughly. While I read a square room isnt ideal its what I have - again now we are talking about an indoor small media room vs an outdoor projector.

How do I figure how large of a screen I can do for that space?
post #5 of 5 Old 06-14-2018, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1716 Post(s)
Liked: 1255
You didn't really mention it was for indoor use in the original post from what I could tell, so that really does change everything.

The Viewsonic, at $500 is a heck of a deal right now and likely won't be around for long.

From 11'6" lens to screen (throw distance is measured lens to screen), you can have an image diagonal between 105" and 144" diagonal. This is nearly identical to what the popular BenQ HT2050 has delivered, and really is just their version of the same model.

Lens throw calculator is here: http://www.projectorcentral.com/View...ulator-pro.htm

With about a 12' eyes to screen distance in that room I would be looking at a 120" diagonal image.

The Viewsonic should provide similar color saturation, but will have better resolution, lower inter-pixel gap, and much better contrast. In a dark room, this jump in contrast will be a huge bonus over the Sony which is lower resolution, is not 16:9 native, and is designed for bright business use.

While you may be able to use the Sony in that room, it would be a better bet to go with the Viewsonic as the best 1080p deal on the market at this time.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page