AVS Forum banner

Official Optoma UHD51a Owner's Thread

19K views 83 replies 30 participants last post by  GsHTPC 
#1 ·
The Optoma UHD51a has a unique set of features that set it apart from the UHD50 and UHD51. As a result, his thread is for UHD51a owners only. Thread topics should be restricted to the actual use of the UHD51a by those who have already purchased the projector. For questions about the UHD51a, discussions of UHD50 or UHD51 or comparisons to other projectors, please see https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/2955818-optoma-uhd51a-4k-hdr-3d-dlp-projector-w-alexa.html

#61 ·
I've recently brought this projector second hand. I didn't get the WiFi dongle. Was wandering if it's worth getting, I'm not fussed about the alexa stuff.
The projector is showing
System C06
LAN 09
MCU 07
What's the difference between what I've got and the latest firmware?
Thanks.

#64 ·
4K HDMI failure

I’m not sure this is the right place. I have the 51a connected to an optimal receiver and roku ultra as my media device. My HDMI cable is Ruipro 50 foot cable that is rated for 4K 60hz uhd. The short of it is the system is flakey. Sometimes it will achieve 4K at 60 but then start a movie and it will fail to play or blank out constantly. The weird thing this was happening last year to the point i got Ruipro to send me a new cable. Then it worked until yesterday. Yesterday I moved the projector and had to pull and relocate the cable so all factors the same but in a new place in the room. Flakey ness is back. Won’t play anything from Disney plus without failing. Same with plex and 4 k content from both. I’m just not sure which direction to go. Thanks for any troubleshooting advice or equipment advice

J

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#70 ·
When I upgraded to this 4K projector, 3D was kind of an after thought as I barely used it with my previous one ( OPTOMA HD25-LV ).
I gave away most of my 3D glasses to the person who inherited my old display.

In anticipation of finally getting a true 3D version of the third installment in the upcoming FRIDAY THE 13TH box set, I have to source out new glasses.

I still have a a pair of these

which I have confirmed work with the UHD51A. Is there anything newer that offers better performance with this projector?

What are you guys using? If newer tech works better than what I have, is it a significant difference?

I'm an AMAZON.CA prime member and would prefer to purchase from their offerings.

#71 ·
I’m having some issues with my projector. I’m close to 800 hours. The screen has recently gone half green half red, only way to get rid of it is by turning the projector on or off. It occasionally won’t go away when I turned it off and then on. It’s the same no matter the source. I’ve reset the projector with no luck. Any ideas on what’s happening?

#73 ·
Hey,

Kind of the same question as above. I am at 3850 hours over 3 years (1500 bright mode, rest Dynamic black). Its installed in a light controlled room. When I watch in pitch black darkness the picture seems pretty dim. I basically have to strain my eyes when watching. Adjusting brightness simply produces a washed out image when too high.

Highly doubt the rated 10,000 hours are doable. And strangely enough when watching HDR content its even dimmer.

What are your experiences?

Do I need to order a new bulb? Maybe needs a firmware update? Or something else is wrong? Otherwise the projector has been absolutely great.

#74 ·
The lamp is rated at 4000hrs to 50% life in high (bright) lamp, so you used up a lot of lamp life (lamps dim rapidly in the first ~500 hrs and then more slowly) by using high lamp rather than straight DB. I doubt updating the firmware would help and I suspect that a new lamp (from a reputable dealer or Optoma directly) is your best bet.

#75 ·
#77 ·
IIRC, there's a way to reset the HDMI port as sometimes it's a firmware/software issue, but hardware issues are common too. However, IIRC, on the UHD51A, one of the ports is non-HDR (HDMI1.4a) and will sometimes pass a signal when the other won't, because the video source will downgrade the bandwidth, allowing the HDMI cable to pass it through.

#82 ·
Hi, I've had a UHD51A for a few years now. Suddenly it no longer turns on all the way. Is this the way this machine indicates it needs a new lamp?
I've had challenges with HDMI handshaking issues from my Denon AVR-X3600H for a while now as well, so I am debating how to proceed from here. Perhaps I should get a new PJ.

Regarding handshake issue: The PJ works great when I used to bypass the receiver with the Xbox One X, but after I upgraded to Xbox Series X, I cannot split the audio and video at the source, and when I run the HDMI signal through the receiver, handshake issues occur and the PJ resets itself. It's a frustrating movie interruption, but doesn't happen during video game mode. That issue is certainly one originating from the DENON. I have been unable to solve a workaround. I even tried one of the handshake products that sits in between the receiver and the project, but that didn't work, either (Atlona AT-ETU-SYNC).

So, if this is the way the UHD51A notifies users that it needs a new lamp, I may buy a new lamp, but if this some other projector fault, I may look for a new pj that doesn't have handshake issues with the Denon.

Thanks!

#83 ·
Well, I noticed the red LED lamp light is on and steady and I guess I should have RTFM before I posted here about the lamp.
I'm going to order a new bulb, but I do still have a question about how to handle that handshake issue. I'll cross post in the Denon 3600 forum.