AVS Forum banner

Official Optoma UHD51a Owner's Thread

19K views 83 replies 30 participants last post by  GsHTPC 
#1 ·
The Optoma UHD51a has a unique set of features that set it apart from the UHD50 and UHD51. As a result, his thread is for UHD51a owners only. Thread topics should be restricted to the actual use of the UHD51a by those who have already purchased the projector. For questions about the UHD51a, discussions of UHD50 or UHD51 or comparisons to other projectors, please see https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/2955818-optoma-uhd51a-4k-hdr-3d-dlp-projector-w-alexa.html

#2 ·
I didn't want to go through the ongoing hassle of moving the dongle from port to port whenever there is a firmware update, so I bought the 2nd dongle for $30. Well worth it, IMO. Made the upgrade process exactly as stated by Optoma.

All aspects of Echo/Alexa are now working in a consistent manner. 2160p working consistently from all sources.

After several weeks, I have dialed in every aspect of my installation. Perfect alignment, light border 'disappeared' with the super-sticky black felt tape surrounding 110" high contrast grey screen.

#5 ·
Can we start sharing our user settings for 2160p/1080p and 3D(@120HZ)?

For non-hdr material I like gamma 2.4 and brightness/contrast set to zero, colors are at 4 with display mode set to Cinema or user to reduce gain for red a bit.

Lamp is usually on active mode, I find eco mode a bit dark for 3D.

Sonisame

#6 ·
Currently, I'm using gamma=film, red gain lowered, and the rest at default. I'm pretty happy with the image, but it's all so subjective. I'm debating whether to get calibration software or just leave it as it is. I'm hoping someone with more experience will join in to discuss color settings.

I also use active mode for 3D to maximize brightness on my 110" high contrast gray screen. I don't have the 3D Vision kit necessary to get 120hz, so I can't offer an opinion on that one. I'm not a gamer.

#7 ·
My projector screen goes black at least once a day and there's nothing I can do to get the picture back up except by shutting the projector down and restarting it. It usually happens once every few days, but today it happened about every 10 to 15 minutes. Any ideas? The first day I hot the projector this happened and I ended up changing the 'High Altitude' setting which seemed to fix it for a while, but apparently not any more. When the projector goes dark, the blue led light is still on the projector. I have it on full power; see attached settings screenshot. Any insight would be appreciated.

Attachments

#10 ·
I'll assume that I am the only one with this problem, but if not I'd like to provide more information about my set-up. My set-up:

I have a 25 ft monoprice cable directly connected from the projector to my Onkyo
TX-NR656 receiver's MAIN port. The receiver has several HDMI 2.2 ports. I watch 4K content on my Roku Premiere+ which is connected to one of the HDMI 2.2 ports and my AppleTV 4K which is connected to a different HDMI 2.2 port; the screen going black happens on both devices.

The monoprice cable is this:
Monoprice Certified Premium High Speed HDMI Cable, 4K @ 60Hz, HDR, 18Gbps, 28AWG, YUV 4:4:4, 25ft, White

the HDMI cables that connect the device(s) to the receiver are also the Monoprice Certified Premium High Speed HDMI Cables found above but they are 6 ft in length.

#16 ·
It's important that when you debug a problem that you make only one change at a time. The easiest test would seem to be to direct connect with the 25' cable the roku or apple. If that solves it then it is probably the 626. Like Ken said, in all these handshaking issues it's more often than not an AVR problem. If the first test fails then try to locate your roku close to the 51A and try it with one of the 6' cables. Follow this debug procedure and you should be able to isolate the problem.

#17 ·
Note to owners: The 51A's 3D function is completely incompatible with the Sony UBP-X700. The Sony will not send a 3d signal until it has detected a 3d monitor, and the UHD51A will not go into 3d mode until it receives a 3d signal from the Sony. I have contacted Optoma about this, they basically said sorry, call Sony with very little intrest in helping with the problem.
So Im taking the projector back. Not because of the incompatibility, I could easily replace the the bluray player, but because the Optoma customer service was so poor.... Now onto the Epson 5040UB thread.

#21 ·
Hey guys so I bought this projector two days ago and it should be here sometime within the next week. I was wondering what 4k HDMI cords you recommend for this projector. I currently have a marseille mcable cinema edition and it does an excellent job of upscaling content. However, I recently found out that it isn't 2.2 capable and can not work with HDR. So now I am on the search for an HDMI cable that will help me get the most out of this projector as well as the best image possible. Please let me know what you guys recommend and I would appreciate it, thanks.

#25 ·
Loving my UHD51A so far. Having trouble with the built in media player however. Anytime I try to play 2160p content it keeps saying "audio not supported" I've tried swapping to different audio tracks in the files but that doesn't help sadly. Does anybody have any idea how I might fix it?

#28 ·
That seems to be cause you've angled the projector, so the image getting thrown is angled when it hits a flat surface (your screen). Try having your projector flat on the stand, and using more of the lens shift (though that might cause a bit of slanting as well).
Another option is to have your projector flat, but further down, or flat but further up and inverted.

#29 · (Edited)
So I'm comparing my new UHD51 and my old epson 2045. For some reason I'm getting better colors on the epson 2045 and the brightness is about the same for both even though the UHD51 is supposed to have higher lumens. All of the photos on the left are from the epson 2045 and all the photos on the right are from the UHD51. Is there something I need to change in settings to get better color on the UHD51? Thinking about returning honestly if I can't get a better picture or colors from this thing. EDIT** last set of photos (yellow ones) UHD51 on the left and 2045 on the right

Attachments

#34 ·
Yea I have the UHD51A not the ALV. I'm going to return it. Purchased this hoping for better colors and brightness seeing how my 2045 is 2200 lumens and the 51a claims 2400. I will say the image is a little bit sharper but when you look at the price tags (479 vs 1699) it's definitely not worth it especially when it's not as bright and the colors are washed. I don't know if it's the LCD vs DLP thing or if I'm doing something wrong with the settings but I've done a decent amount of adjusting and still can't come close. Should've known better when I found out that it uses pixel shifting and isn't true 4k.

#35 ·
... Purchased this hoping for better colors and brightness seeing how my 2045 is 2200 lumens and the 51a claims 2400. ...
When projectorreviews.com tested in brightest mode they measured the UHD51A at a maximum 1892 lumens vs. 2262 lumens for the 2045. So the 2045 exceeded manufacturer lumen specs while the UHD51A fell short. This is why it's so often recommended on this forum to ignore manufacturer performance specs and rely on independent test reviews measured with calibrated instrumentation.

#37 ·
Hey guys, needed some advice if u can help please. I recently purchased the UHD51A as an upgrade to my Benq W1080ST+.

I’m not super tech, I have an Xbox one that I use for games sometimes but mostly to stream and for blu ray. I haven’t yet ventured in to 4K but will do v soon.

Having just set it up and popped in a blu ray, I’m super disappointed with the picture. I’m getting serious image noise, or mosquito noise I believe it’s called. The movement on faces and lighter areas is awful, just fine grain everywhere. The pictures bright, but no way near as good as it was on my Benq. Is this normal/to be expected?Anything I can do??

Thanks in advance

#48 ·
Is anyone using this projector with a CIH screen? Is it even possible without an external lens?

#50 ·
UHD51a - Wireless Status shows Fail

Just wondering if any one has issue connecting UHD51a to wifi. Once I installed the wireless adapter, it did connect to wifi and upgraded the firmware to Co6. But on the smart home page, it shows "Fail" for the wireless status. Also, when I try to register, it asks me to add 1883 to router firewall port. I have already done. I have also tried disabling the firewall completely. Still no use.

#55 · (Edited)
I've not used 3D on my UHD50 as I haven't done the firmware update, and I can't help with the Oppo, but it should just be a matter of playing a 3D movie and setting the UHD51A into 3D mode as described on pages 23, 24, 26, 28 and 31 of your manual:

https://www.projectorcentral.com/pdf/projector_manual_10297.pdf

If you're having trouble, try and bypass the receiver and connect the Oppo directly to the UHD51A.