BenQ TK800 4K HDR Projector Review Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

post #31 of 44 Old 06-01-2019, 09:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
The BenQ TK800 is now on sale on BenQdirect and amazon.com. There is already a thread in the deals section if you want more details!
Hi Sage, excellent review, thanks! I am considering this projector for a backyard theater set up given ambient light and all that.

Question for you (tried figuring this out through their manual but wasn't clear, so thought I'd ask):

Does this projector stretch the image for use in a CIH set-up such that I can attach a DIY anamorphic lens and watch it in 2.39? Meaning, does it stretch a 2.39 movie to make the black bars disappear? Hope my question makes sense...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 Old 06-01-2019, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 220 Post(s)
Quoted: 2981 Post(s)
Liked: 3088
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrseth View Post
Hi Sage, excellent review, thanks! I am considering this projector for a backyard theater set up given ambient light and all that.

Question for you (tried figuring this out through their manual but wasn't clear, so thought I'd ask):

Does this projector stretch the image for use in a CIH set-up such that I can attach a DIY anamorphic lens and watch it in 2.39? Meaning, does it stretch a 2.39 movie to make the black bars disappear? Hope my question makes sense...

Unfortunately, none of the current BenQ 4K models below the HT9060 feature a stretch aspect ratio for an anamorphic lens.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #33 of 44 Old 06-02-2019, 06:22 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thank you for the prompt reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 44 Old 09-13-2019, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Upscaling

Sorry if this is off-topic to an old thread, but I've spent hours searching for an answer to my basic question, so I signed up to this forum as a last resort. I have this projector and unfortunately my receiver doesn't support HDCP 2.2, so I can't currently get native 4k, but I'm wondering about the upscaling... the tv is telling me the source is 1080p, but is that automatically upscaled to 4k? I keep reading that the upscaling on this projector is good, but all of my 1080p content seems to be outputting at 1080p according to the info in the settings. Is the upscaling automatic and there's no indicator telling me it's taking place?

Hopefully someone can assist, the HDCP 2.2 issue costed me a lot of time troubleshooting, and now I'm just hoping for some decent upscaling at least.

Thanks!
post #35 of 44 Old 09-13-2019, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweinkauf2 View Post
Sorry if this is off-topic to an old thread, but I've spent hours searching for an answer to my basic question, so I signed up to this forum as a last resort. I have this projector and unfortunately my receiver doesn't support HDCP 2.2, so I can't currently get native 4k, but I'm wondering about the upscaling... the tv is telling me the source is 1080p, but is that automatically upscaled to 4k? I keep reading that the upscaling on this projector is good, but all of my 1080p content seems to be outputting at 1080p according to the info in the settings. Is the upscaling automatic and there's no indicator telling me it's taking place?

Hopefully someone can assist, the HDCP 2.2 issue costed me a lot of time troubleshooting, and now I'm just hoping for some decent upscaling at least.

Thanks!

The TK800– like all 4K DLPs— operates ‘natively’ at 4K. What I mean by that is the pixel shift is enabled by default and all content is up scaled to 4K. So, yes, your content is being upscaled.

The only way to change this is to enable the silent mode or to switch on 3D. In both cases the projector will disable the pixel shifting and operate as a native 1080p projector.

Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

post #36 of 44 Old 09-13-2019, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for the quick reply! Great info, good to know, thanks again!
post #37 of 44 Old 12-10-2019, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hi there

I've had my TK800 for about a year, and love the brightness and clarity. Coming from an Epson 3020, I miss that ease at which I could watch 3D content from my PC. Has anyone had success at watching 3D content from PC to the TK800? TBH even 3D BluRays have issues with desync, and that's with BenQ glasses. Sure, it's "3D supported", but had I known this would be the case, I may have looked at something else.

Related - can anyone recommend a worthy successor to the 3020, where 3D playback is well supported? Please let me know if this should be in another thread.

Thanks heaps
post #38 of 44 Old 12-10-2019, 10:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by mufCabbage View Post
Hi there

I've had my TK800 for about a year, and love the brightness and clarity. Coming from an Epson 3020, I miss that ease at which I could watch 3D content from my PC. Has anyone had success at watching 3D content from PC to the TK800? TBH even 3D BluRays have issues with desync, and that's with BenQ glasses. Sure, it's "3D supported", but had I known this would be the case, I may have looked at something else.

Related - can anyone recommend a worthy successor to the 3020, where 3D playback is well supported? Please let me know if this should be in another thread.

Thanks heaps
Not sure how 3D has desync. Audio related or the glasses desync?

DLP is the best for 3D.
3LCD on the Epson's are susceptible to ghosting.
post #39 of 44 Old 12-11-2019, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

BenQ TK800 4K HDR Projector Review Thread

Quote:
Hi there

Thanks heaps

Two things:

What firmware revision are you using? The TK800 did have a sync issue when it first debuted but it was later patched via firmware. Unfortunately, the original TK800 does not have user upgradeable firmware but you should be able to send it in under warranty to have the maintenance performed.

Second: what input are you using? For whatever reason, even after the update I would have the occasional sync issue on the HDMI 1 port— the 2.0, full bandwidth 4K port. The HDMI 2 port— the 1.4a 1080p port— experiences no such issues. This is an inconvenience to be sure but I ended up running a second source for all my 3D content. In this case an older Sony 3d Blu-ray player. Once I did that the TK800 become one of the better 3D projectors I’ve used. The 3D image is very bright.

post #40 of 44 Old 12-11-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
Not sure how 3D has desync. Audio related or the glasses desync?

DLP is the best for 3D.
3LCD on the Epson's are susceptible to ghosting.
Glasses desync. Every 30-40 seconds the glasses "flutter".
post #41 of 44 Old 12-11-2019, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:

What sage11x said.

Unless you're moving the sensor on the glasses out of direct line of sight with the screen, that should not happen.
What brand of glasses? Do you have a second pair?
Is the image on the projector resyncing or does it stay with the red ish tone?
post #42 of 44 Old 12-11-2019, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

That is exactly the thing I experienced on my review sample. In fact— I think I cover this in my review in this thread: post number 1!

Contact BenQ or follow my advice about hdmi port 2. This is a stellar 3d projector. Hate for you to buy something new when this model should be working for you.

post #43 of 44 Old 12-11-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
Two things:

What firmware revision are you using? The TK800 did have a sync issue when it first debuted but it was later patched via firmware. Unfortunately, the original TK800 does not have user upgradeable firmware but you should be able to send it in under warranty to have the maintenance performed.

Second: what input are you using? For whatever reason, even after the update I would have the occasional sync issue on the HDMI 1 port— the 2.0, full bandwidth 4K port. The HDMI 2 port— the 1.4a 1080p port— experiences no such issues. This is an inconvenience to be sure but I ended up running a second source for all my 3D content. In this case an older Sony 3d Blu-ray player. Once I did that the TK800 become one of the better 3D projectors I’ve used. The 3D image is very bright.
Yeah, original firmware. The only agent supporting BenQ isn't in my city (I live in New Zealand), so I'd have to fork out for shipping to have it done, which isn't cheap.
Input wise, I'll explain my setup : PC & PS4 going to the Pioneer VSX933, then to the PJ's #2 port. I've tried the #1 port, but the picture is unstable, and continuously refreshes - the PC desktop comes up for a second, then it goes back to auto source searching. I'll have another play around on the weekend.

Anyway, thanks for the advice.
post #44 of 44 Old 02-10-2020, 04:39 PM

Hello again

I (finally) sent my TK800 in for a firmware update (to 1.04?? I thought there's a much more recent version?).
As per Sage's suggestion, I used #2 input for 3D, but am still having issues. The glasses (BenQ D5) are "flashing" every few seconds.
I took a video, where it's clearly visible, but can't share yet. Damn noobie

What firmware version do other TK800 owners have? AFIK BenQ don't share that info, so it's hard to tell what's recent.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page