BenQ TK800 4K HDR Projector Review Thread - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

post #1 of 44 Old 07-05-2018, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 220 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked: 3078
BenQ TK800 4K HDR Projector Review

Thanks to BenQ for supplying me with a review sample of their latest TK800 4K HDR Living Room Projector. This is an updated review and represents my final thoughts on this projector.

Introduction

It's been over four months since my review of the BenQ HT2550 4K HDR home cinema projector. At the time, the HT2550 represented the first entry in a completely new segment of the projector market: value priced 4K projectors. Since the HT2550 was released we've seen a flood of new and affordable 4K DLP projectors entering the market from a variety of name brands. Now, BenQ is back to the segment it helped start with a model intended for bright room use: the TK800. So how does the TK800 stack up? Read on for my impressions of this familiar, but quite different, home entertainment projector.

Basics and Setup

Let's just get the TK800's most notable specs and features out of the way:

True 4K UHD resolution of 3840x2160

3000 Lumens Output

Projector-Optimized HDR10 Support

3D Support

>92% coverage of the Rec.709 color space

Full Bandwidth HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 (18Gbps capable of 4K HDR @ 60 fps)

Up to 10,000 hr lamp replacement interval

3 Year Warranty

MSRP $1499

The TK800's relation to the HT2550 is obvious the minute you take it out of it's box. The two projectors are nearly identical with one notable exception-- the face plate of the TK800 is a vibrant aquamarine blue! External dimensions are identical at 13.9in x 5.3in x 10.7in and so is the weight at 9.3lbs. BenQ claims the lens is identical and with a 1.47-1.76 throw ratio (1.2x zoom), the TK800 will require around 11 feet to target a 100" screen. The TK800 shares the HT2550's 110% fixed offset and similarly lacks lens shift which means if you are mounting the projector you'll need to use extra care to make sure your projector and screen are aligned. The inclusion of automatic vertical keystone correction has been retained and it can automatically square the image if tilting is required. However, I recommend to avoid this when possible as keystone correction lowers resolution. There is no horizontal correction available.

The TK800 has five picture presets: Bright, Vivid, Cinema, Sport, and Football. Bright is, obviously, the brightest picture mode and has a limited use which I will get into later. While there are subtle differences in each of the TK800's remaining four picture presets they are, all of them, more or less equally bright. Even the Cinema preset, which is typically a little dimmer on most projectors. As such, any of these four picture modes can be used with ambient light present. In a fully dark room the TK800 may, in fact, prove to be a little too bright for some people. While Normal lamp mode is ideal for a very bright room, in most rooms I would recommend the SmartEco lamp setting as it dynamically adjusts the lamp intensity to maximize contrast. If the image is too bright you could reduce the lamp to it's Eco setting at the cost of some contrast. One thing I do NOT recommend to lower the TK800's light output is to turn off Brilliant Color. Doing so dramatically cuts the TK800's light output but it also reduces contrast by a comparable amount and the image becomes quite dull as a result.

As with all the 0.47" DMD equipped 4K DLPs entering the market the TK800 has the same visible grey border around the projected image. The border is large enough that it extends beyond the 2.4" felt wrapped frame of my 100" screen by a couple of inches on all four sides. While the light spill will not be noticeable all of the time, it will be noticeable some of the time and some people may find that distracting. Extending some black felt or velvet beyond the edges of your screen or painting your front wall a darker or flatter color will go a long way toward alleviating the issue.

All my testing was done with the TK800 connected directly to a Sony X800 UHD bluray player via a 10' Mediabridge HDMI cable for playback of a variety of UHD bluray discs as well as some 4K Netflix streaming. I also swapped in a PS4 at one point to test the TK800's gaming capabilities. My screen is a fixed frame 100" Silver Ticket White.

Brightness, Color and Contrast

It's impossible to talk about the TK800's picture quality without first talking about it's brightness. As I stated in the introduction, this is a very bright projector! No doubt a large part of the credit for the TK800's spectacular lumen output is due to it's RGBW color wheel-- which adds a clear or 'white' section to the typical red, green and blue color wheel sections. This color wheel composition produces an awful lot of white light relative to color light which has a knock on effect on the TK800's picture quality which I will detail below.

BenQ has built a reputation for delivering projectors with above average color accuracy right out-of-the-box. Here, the TK800 does an admirable job of presenting a picture that is reasonably accurate without adjustment. BenQ claims 92% coverage of the Rec.709 color space but makes no promises about calibration accuracy as they do with their HT2550 (BenQ's CinematicColor feature). Still, I found the TK800's color presentation to be more than satisfactory with realistic skin tones and good saturation. While the TK800 will accept DCI-P3 and Rec.2020 it is, as stated, a Rec.709 device and will simply 'fit' those extended color spaces into it's available palette. Again, the TK800 does an admirable job here but it's important to not expect true extended color space support.

I do, however, have a complaint about color as it relates to that imbalance of white light versus color light that I mentioned before. In certain material, colors on the TK800 can look a little dark in comparison to highlights or bright objects. BenQ attempts to combat this by ramping up the color saturation in specific picture modes (greens in Football, reds in Sport, and pretty much everything in Vivid). While this more or less works it can sometimes produce an image that looks a little less natural than what you'd expect from a more theater-focused projector like BenQ's own HT2550. Overall, I feel most people would find this an acceptable compromise considering the TK800's intended use in less than ideal rooms.

On the other hand, the ability of the TK800 to get so bright helps with contrast and I was pleasantly surprised to find that the TK800 does better here than the HT2550. While black levels are still a bit disappointing with especially dark scenes looking more gray than black, the presence of any bright element lends the TK800 plenty of pop. This is especially true with HDR material where contrast improves dramatically. Specular highlights and point light sources on the TK800 are absolutely brilliant! Indeed, HDR performance may be one of the TK800's biggest strengths.

4K Clarity

Just like the HT2550, the TK800 uses Texas Instruments' 0.47" DMD-chip. While the DMD itself is 1080p, it is combined with Texas Instruments' DLP XPR pixel-shifting technology to deliver a UHD qualifying 8.3 million distinct pixels to the screen. The TK800 is not a 'native 4K' projector meaning there is not a 1:1 relationship between the number of elements on it's DMD and the number of pixels produced on screen. While the conversation around native vs pixel shifted solutions continues I will avoid entering this review into that discussion except to say the following. The DLP XPR technology being utilized here is the closest one can come to native 4K resolution performance for a fraction of the cost of a native 4K projector (at the time of this review, $5000USD).

As such, one of the most obvious highlights of the TK800's picture quality has to be it's impossibly sharp image. Just as I observed on the HT2550, when fed a high quality 4K source the TK800's resolution advantage is obvious. Details that would be impossible to resolve on a 1080p display are rendered with breathtaking clarity. Here, BenQ touts their 7-element, all-glass lens system and I'm happy to report that this is not simply marketing fluff. While the focus ring on the TK800 is a little more touchy than I'd like, once dialed in the image is sharp corner to corner.

I am a little surprised to find the TK800 lacks the HT2550's sharpening feature: 'Pixel Enhancer 4K'. While I liked the feature on the HT2550 I don’t mind it's absence too much here, perhaps owing to the TK800's improved contrast. I do, however, mind the absence of the HT2550's DCTI/DLTI features-- which BenQ purports to reduce image noise. While I wouldn't call the TK800 a noisy display I did note more image noise during my testing than I did with the HT2550. My best guess as to the difference is the absence of the aforementioned DCTI/DLTI features.

One added benefit of the XPR pixel shifting is it eliminates the gap between pixels. This means that you can project as large an image as your space/ambient light will allow or sit as close as you'd like without having to worry about screen door effect-- even with 1080p material. This essentially frees the TK800 and other 4K DLPs from the limitations of seating distance 'recommendations'. If you're someone who likes to sit in the half of the theater that's closer to the screen than the half that is further away you're going to love 4K on the TK800.

Bright Picture preset

The Bright picture preset on the TK800 is so unique I had to address it in it's own section. Anyone who has owned multiple projectors will know that the Bright picture mode on the majority of projectors is typically useless due to a strong green tint over the image. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that the TK800's bright picture mode not only lacks that strong green tint-- it is actually fully customizable! Now, this isn’t to say that the Bright preset doesn’t have it's share of disadvantages. Color saturation is way down in Bright and the issues of white light / color light balance are exasperated. Still, this is useable preset that puts out enough lumens to easily compete with a high degree of ambient light-- I was able to run the TK800 in the middle of the day with my blinds open. That affords the TK800 with a flexibility many projectors lack and I feel is worthy of mention.

3D Performance

Fact: 3D continues to be popular in theaters and 3D HD bluray discs are still seeing release. That said, 3D doesn't have a bright future. Flat screen manufacturers have ceased making 3D TVs, 3D was left out of the UHD spec, and many of the latest 4K home projectors being released have omitted the format. That last point is probably the most alarming as 3D has long found a home in front projection where the format is arguably it's most effective. The good news for 3D fans? BenQ appears to be committed to the format with both of their affordable 4K projectors prominently advertising the feature.

When it comes to 3D, I'll be honest, I'm not that picky when it comes to picture quality. My biggest concerns are: one, that the image is free of artifacts and cross talk and, two, that the image is comfortably bright. Armed with 3000 lumens I was very much looking forward to testing out the TK800 in 3D. I'm happy to report that the TK800's prodigious light output translates well creating a bright and punchy 3D image with little to no cross talk. While I noticed a bit more noise and what looked like some mild aliasing that is absent in my reference 1080p 3D projector, I would still consider this very good performance-- with one large caveat.

The TK800 has issues with *some 3D glasses. When I began evaluating the TK800's 3D performance I was dismayed to find that in bright scenes (particularly those found in animated family films) the image would lose sync with the glasses and, in extreme cases, cause the glasses to shut off. While I say *some glasses, the truth is I have 8 pairs of 3D glasses from 4 different manufacturers and all of them exhibited the same error. I initially blamed the TK800 as these glasses have all worked with other DLP projectors I've reviewed. But BenQ could not recreate the issue and suggested the fault was in the glasses. True enough, after I obtained a pair of BenQ's own 3D glasses (model DGD5 v 2.0) the sync issues went away.

The TK800 (and most 3D DLP projectors) rely on a sync method called DLP link. DLP link doesn't use a radio link with the projector and instead relies on an optical sensor on the 3D shutter glasses that detects a flash that the projector inserts between frames of the 3D image. My best guess is the TK800 is too damn bright and the optical sensor on the glasses I own aren't sensitive enough and the sync is lost.

While suggesting another pair of glasses would seem a simple enough fix. Keep in mind that one of the advantages of DLP link 3D is the relative affordability of the glasses. 3rd party glasses can range in price from $40 down to $10 depending on sales and bulk discounts. Meanwhile, BenQ's glasses are $59/pair and while they are the best 3D glasses I've ever owned I could understand how someone needing 4-5 pairs for every member of their family might prefer 3rd party glasses. Just be advised that I cannot guarantee 3D performance with 3rd party glasses.

Gaming

The TK800 is an incredibly sharp 4K projector with good color, good HDR performance, great motion handling, an HDMI 2.0 port capable of 4K HDR @ 60fps and enough lumens to deal with ambient light. Those are qualities that make for an excellent gaming display. Which is why I find the next spec to be so bittersweet.

At 48ms the TK800 is currently one of the quickest 4K projectors on the market. It is, however, slow compared to 1080p displays that are now capable of sub 16ms input lag. I tend to be a bit of a snob when it comes to display latency and freely admit that many gamers will no doubt find 48ms acceptable for casual gaming. Still, I would absolutely love if BenQ could find a way to reduce input lag to at least 33ms. Playing through the PS4 exclusive God of War (2018) in glorious 4K HDR with an uncapped frame rate on a 100" screen is one of the best experiences I've had as an avid gamer. While I didn't find the input lag to be a frustration during the majority of my play through, when it came time to face off against some of the tougher boss encounters (Sigrun OMG) I switched over to my 1080p projector and found that dodging and parrying became much easier. Especially so on the higher difficulty levels.

Will the input lag bother you? It really comes down to what kind of gamer you are and what types of titles you play. If you are a casual gamer or focus more on single player games at the normal difficulty setting you'll be fine. If you are a competitive online player or prefer to challenge yourself at the higher difficulty levels you'll likely want to stick with a 1080p projector capable of 16ms.

A quick word on rainbow effect. I typically can detect some RBE on non RGBRGB DLPs but did not experience RBE in my testing with the TK800. Your mileage may vary.

Conclusion

The box the TK800 is shipped in is emblazoned with the words "Vivid Living Room Entertainment" on it's side. BenQ clearly designed the TK800 for use in living rooms or anywhere ambient light cannot be fully controlled and in that role it excels. It produces a bright, punchy, incredibly sharp image more similar to an LCD TV than a typical theater projector and, as such, is a solid recommendation for someone looking to use the TK800 as a TV replacement. In a dim/dark room it has solid color reproduction and surprisingly good HDR performance. The TK800’s ideal use is as a projector for game day parties, netflix binge-ing or family movie nights. It's portable enough and bright enough that you could use it outside for movies under the stars. While the family lineage with the HT2550 is unmistakable, the TK800 is wholly different in it's intended purpose. I really enjoy projectors like the TK800 because they prove that you don't need a batcave or black out curtains to enjoy a truly big screen experience.

What’s Good

Super sharp 4K image

Plenty of light output

Surprisingly good HDR performance

Solid value

What Could Be Better

No lens shift limits placement flexibility

Unimpressive black levels-- an auto iris would work wonders here

Lower input lag would make this a top tier gaming projector
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6376.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	757.6 KB
ID:	2424956   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6406.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	611.8 KB
ID:	2424958   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6407.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	754.4 KB
ID:	2424960   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6408.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	660.7 KB
ID:	2424962   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6410.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	792.9 KB
ID:	2424964  

Name:	IMG_6384.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	682.9 KB
ID:	2424966   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6385.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	996.7 KB
ID:	2424968   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6388.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	580.3 KB
ID:	2424970   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6391.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	630.7 KB
ID:	2424972   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6395.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	1,017.3 KB
ID:	2424974  

Name:	IMG_6400.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	676.1 KB
ID:	2424976   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6401.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	805.3 KB
ID:	2424978   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6462.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	862.9 KB
ID:	2424980   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6448.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	688.1 KB
ID:	2424982  

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Last edited by sage11x; 07-06-2018 at 08:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 07-07-2018, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1116 Post(s)
Liked: 606
Sage, I agree with your review. I just realized last night that Smart Eco is pretty much the same as Dynamic Black on the Optoma UHD50 and other Optoma projectors. It works, but for some video, it flickers between scene changes, and that is annoying, but the same happens with the Optoma. I found that reducing the Noise Reduction to Low or Off increases detail somewhat. I agree, the Benq glasses are the best and have no sync issues. Most of my other glasses work ok, unless I'm watching animated movies, then they have sync issues due to the brightness. I have also found that setting the gamma around 2.2 opens up the detail in the shadows nicely.
sage11x likes this.
post #3 of 44 Old 07-07-2018, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DBob View Post
Sage, I agree with your review. I just realized last night that Smart Eco is pretty much the same as Dynamic Black on the Optoma UHD50 and other Optoma projectors. It works, but for some video, it flickers between scene changes, and that is annoying, but the same happens with the Optoma. I found that reducing the Noise Reduction to Low or Off increases detail somewhat. I agree, the Benq glasses are the best and have no sync issues. Most of my other glasses work ok, unless I'm watching animated movies, then they have sync issues due to the brightness. I have also found that setting the gamma around 2.2 opens up the detail in the shadows nicely.

Thanks Bob, I appreciate the input!

I sometimes notice the lamp dimming in action too but it’s rare. But then I’m probably so used to lamp dimming on DLPs my brain may have started tuning it out.
Thanks also for mentioning Noise Reduction. One thing I forgot to do was post my settings. While I don’t recommend blindly copying setting I do think it’s useful for comparison and advice.
Did you read the hack one of the members in the other thread came up with? He essentially taped over his glass’s sensor to limit the amount of light reaching it— and apparently it worked!
You mentioned using gamma 2.2. Where do you set HDR brightness?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 Old 07-08-2018, 08:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 32
My college buddy working at Benq service center came to my house last Saturday to see how my TK800 performs. He brought along with him W1700 for comparison purpose.We tested many 4K demos and some movies clips on both units side by side, and we can happily report that TK800 is an incredible machine for the price. 4K HDR images truly shine. We watched Steven Speilberg's latest movie "Ready Player One" UHD bluray using TK800 and the image quality was fantastic. In comparison, we thought that TK800, even though it is brighter than W1700, indeed performs significantly better than W1700. The increased brightness does not overly affect the color saturation to any significant level. As for the black performance, W1700 had better blacks but we clearly saw that bright HDR images looked a bit dimmer on W1700. We put both units in smartEco mode. The upscaled 2D images looked a bit sharper on TK800 but we still prefered to have the resolution set to 1080p for 2D sources.Because at 1080p resolution, the color looked pretty natural.The 3D looks much better on TK800 with added brightness. We used Benq and Optoma DLP link glasses, and did not encounter any sync issues.The bottom line is, TK 800 is a great value for the money, and it truly delivers!

Side note : If you guys have any comments/issues regarding TK800 or any other Benq projectors, I can help you to deliver the message directly to Benq engineers (via my colleague) Please don't misunderstand, I don't work for Benq even though I live just 2 blocks away from Benq HQ.

Last edited by alps006; 07-08-2018 at 08:38 PM.
post #5 of 44 Old 07-11-2018, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Great review, appreciate all the input on the TK800 sage. I have a 2050 and while I certainly love it at night, it does struggle a bit during the day in my basement which has a few windows which I can knock most the light out of but some still gets through. Would be nice to have a projector that can work in both settings especially when I have people over for sporting events.

The 2050 got me hooked on 3d blu-rays so when I upgrade to 4k it's not something I want to give up which most other budget 4k projectors are bypassing. It is a bummer though it seems like I will have to replace my 3d glasses which I got off amazon for less than a third of the price of the Benq glasses each. The Benq glasses are very very expensive by comparison (I have a set of 4 of my ELEPHAS DLP link glasses).

Last edited by thunderbird1100; 07-11-2018 at 07:03 AM.
post #6 of 44 Old 07-11-2018, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100 View Post
Great review, appreciate all the input on the TK800 sage. I have a 2050 and while I certainly love it at night, it does struggle a bit during the day in my basement which has a few windows which I can knock most the light out of but some still gets through. Would be nice to have a projector that can work in both settings especially when I have people over for sporting events.

The 2050 got me hooked on 3d blu-rays so when I upgrade to 4k it's not something I want to give up which most other budget 4k projectors are bypassing. It is a bummer though it seems like I will have to replace my 3d glasses which I got off amazon for less than a third of the price of the Benq glasses each. The Benq glasses are very very expensive by comparison (I have a set of 4 of my ELEPHAS DLP link glasses).

I haven’t actually tested the Elephas glasses. Hopefully they work better than the 3rd party 3D glasses I have. If you do try the TK800 please come back and tell us how those glasses work. Right now it seems the only two brands guaranteed to function properly are the official BenQ glasses and the well regarded Optoma glasses.
One of the owners in the announcement thread was able to put some translucent tape over the sensors on his 3D glasses and he claims that corrected the issue for him. I haven’t tried that myself.
I’m still waiting on word from BenQ if they have received an explanation from Texas Instruments for why the 3rd party glasses are not able to hold sync. My guess is the 3rd party glasses are simply manufactured to cost and the sensor is one place they can cut a corner.

post #7 of 44 Old 07-11-2018, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

While the off-brands work on most 3D other than animated movies, they sometimes flutter making you see judder. With the Benq glasses, the judder pretty much goes away.
post #8 of 44 Old 07-11-2018, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
I haven’t actually tested the Elephas glasses. Hopefully they work better than the 3rd party 3D glasses I have. If you do try the TK800 please come back and tell us how those glasses work. Right now it seems the only two brands guaranteed to function properly are the official BenQ glasses and the well regarded Optoma glasses.
One of the owners in the announcement thread was able to put some translucent tape over the sensors on his 3D glasses and he claims that corrected the issue for him. I haven’t tried that myself.
I’m still waiting on word from BenQ if they have received an explanation from Texas Instruments for why the 3rd party glasses are not able to hold sync. My guess is the 3rd party glasses are simply manufactured to cost and the sensor is one place they can cut a corner.
Once I'm able to get my hands on a TK800 I will definitely test out, but it will probably be a while. I refuse to pay full price for it and will wait till it hits Benq's refurbished store. That's how I bought my 2050 last year and saved a lot of money and got essentially a new lamp with it too (<5 hours on lamp). Hoping it will be about $1000 or even less once it goes there with some coupons BenQ runs.
post #9 of 44 Old 07-11-2018, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100 View Post
Once I'm able to get my hands on a TK800 I will definitely test out, but it will probably be a while. I refuse to pay full price for it and will wait till it hits Benq's refurbished store. That's how I bought my 2050 last year and saved a lot of money and got essentially a new lamp with it too (<5 hours on lamp). Hoping it will be about $1000 or even less once it goes there with some coupons BenQ runs.
BenQ is running a $300 trade in offer for trading in your old projector. Not sure if I'd part with an HT2050 for 300 bucks though.

post #10 of 44 Old 07-15-2018, 02:24 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
That was me, and i'll complete the story: i used this vinyl film
Used it with these glasses
Since i have the impression the dlp link flash is green (there is this permanent green tint visible when 3d is on), i used some of the green foil i had here.
Applying 1 layer noticably reduced the issue, applying a second layer almost eliminated it (only very short sync issues, a few frames long), and with my glasses that have 3 layers of the foil i don't seem to have any issues at all. Watched the lego batman movie with them yesterday, zero sync issues.
ymmv of course, but it's a simple hack that can solve the issue. You guys said it was probably due to the high brightness of the projector, thus putting something that dims it on the sensors makes a lot of sense XD.
sage11x, Dierkdr and Frookster like this.
post #11 of 44 Old 08-15-2018, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quick update:

In my review I mentioned that 3rd party DLP link 3D goggles had some sync issues with the TK800. The fix I suggested was to use the OEM goggles from BenQ but this doesn't work for everyone as the BenQs are more expensive than the average 3rd party goggles.

For anyone who might be having sync issues with their existing 3rd party glasses, please try HDMI input 2 (HDMI 1.4a / HDCP 1.4) and see if the problem persists. While HDMI input 2 cannot accept a 4K source it appears to work with HD 3D flawlessly. I will update my review with this new information.
Frookster likes this.

post #12 of 44 Old 08-15-2018, 02:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quick update:

In my review I mentioned that 3rd party DLP link 3D goggles had some sync issues with the TK800. The fix I suggested was to use the OEM goggles from BenQ but this doesn't work for everyone as the BenQs are more expensive than the average 3rd party goggles.

For anyone who might be having sync issues with their existing 3rd party glasses, please try HDMI input 2 (HDMI 1.4a / HDCP 1.4) and see if the problem persists. While HDMI input 2 cannot accept a 4K source it appears to work with HD 3D flawlessly. I will update my review with this new information.
I can attest to what @sage11x is saying. I was having multiple issues with 3D sync even with the Benq glasses using HDMI Input 1. Last night I switched to Input 2 for 1080p 3D and watched the same movies that had issues--even an animated movie, which had big problems in the past, and they played without issue. I even tried my other non-Benq glasses and they worked as well. This is not total proof, which needs longer term evidence, but so far so good!
sage11x likes this.
post #13 of 44 Old 08-16-2018, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
I can attest to what @sage11x is saying. I was having multiple issues with 3D sync even with the Benq glasses using HDMI Input 1. Last night I switched to Input 2 for 1080p 3D and watched the same movies that had issues--even an animated movie, which had big problems in the past, and they played without issue. I even tried my other non-Benq glasses and they worked as well. This is not total proof, which needs longer term evidence, but so far so good!
I still have problems with 3D Side-by-Side movies playing with Kodi. Even if I set the resolution to 1080i, as it should be possible according to TK800 instructions.
I tried everything, different resolutions, fps settings, versions of Kodi and other 3D formats. The only thing that works is watching movies over POWERDVD through a computer or 3D movies directly from Blurays.

Is there a solution for this?
post #14 of 44 Old 08-16-2018, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbury86 View Post
I still have problems with 3D Side-by-Side movies playing with Kodi. Even if I set the resolution to 1080i, as it should be possible according to TK800 instructions.
I tried everything, different resolutions, fps settings, versions of Kodi and other 3D formats. The only thing that works is watching movies over POWERDVD through a computer or 3D movies directly from Blurays.

Is there a solution for this?
If you are simply sending an SBS image to the projector, then you would have to manually select SBS, but appears to be problematic with the TK800. That said PowerDVD can send SBS to a projector as well. Just send it as a non 3D video and let the projector decide. I have not tried that, but should work.
post #15 of 44 Old 08-16-2018, 11:01 PM

Quote:
If you are simply sending an SBS image to the projector, then you would have to manually select SBS, but appears to be problematic with the TK800. That said PowerDVD can send SBS to a projector as well. Just send it as a non 3D video and let the projector decide. I have not tried that, but should work.
Hi 3DBob,

thanks for your fast response.
I would like to choose it manuelly but it is not possible. Choosing Side-bySide from the projector menu would be the normal procedure as I know it from my Benq W1070. There it was no problem at all. You could choose side-by-side and the projector output the image correctly in 3D.

However, with the Benq TK800, the same movie does not work this way. The side-by-side option is not available in the menu, even if I choose the requested 1080i resolution (Of course, 3D is enabled in the options menu on the projector). If I take another resolution, the projector loses the signal.

It must be said that the Benq W1070 also had problems with side-by-side videos until Benq fixed that in several firmware updates.
post #16 of 44 Old 08-20-2018, 07:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi 3DBob,

I would like to choose it manuelly but it is not possible. Choosing Side-bySide from the projector menu would be the normal procedure as I know it from my Benq W1070. There it was no problem at all. You could choose side-by-side and the projector output the image correctly in 3D.

However, with the Benq TK800, the same movie does not work this way. The side-by-side option is not available in the menu, even if I choose the requested 1080i resolution (Of course, 3D is enabled in the options menu on the projector). If I take another resolution, the projector loses the signal.

It must be said that the Benq W1070 also had problems with side-by-side videos until Benq fixed that in several firmware updates.
I see what you mean. I've got to look at this and see what's going on...
post #17 of 44 Old 08-20-2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Hi 3DBob,

I've tried the same things, and come to the same conclusions.
I think the issue is that the projector currently only allows 3d if the signal is actually 3d... In the HDMI signal, a flag can also be set that it's SBS 3d, and there seems no way to force it. So far i only have devices that can send framepacked 3d, and when sending an actual 3d signal, the monitor goes into 3d mode.
One other mode i did find you could enable is sending a 120hz signal, and then the alternating frame option can be enabled. But that's ofcourse a format in which you probably don't have any content >_<.
One thing i haven't tried though, is send a double width/height signal (it's not easy to force such a signal either >_<). As the documentation only mentions full SBS, not half SBS. So maybe if you want to be able to manually select SBS in the menu, you need to send a 3840x1080i signal for the option to become available?

Let's indeed hope they one day make a firmware update where we can just send half SBS content to the projector, and override the 3d mode so it makes it 3d. Then we can use 3d with Kodi.
post #18 of 44 Old 08-21-2018, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racemaniac View Post
I think the issue is that the projector currently only allows 3d if the signal is actually 3d... In the HDMI signal, a flag can also be set that it's SBS 3d, and there seems no way to force it. So far i only have devices that can send framepacked 3d, and when sending an actual 3d signal, the monitor goes into 3d mode.
One other mode i did find you could enable is sending a 120hz signal, and then the alternating frame option can be enabled. But that's ofcourse a format in which you probably don't have any content >_<.
One thing i haven't tried though, is send a double width/height signal (it's not easy to force such a signal either >_<). As the documentation only mentions full SBS, not half SBS. So maybe if you want to be able to manually select SBS in the menu, you need to send a 3840x1080i signal for the option to become available?

Let's indeed hope they one day make a firmware update where we can just send half SBS content to the projector, and override the 3d mode so it makes it 3d. Then we can use 3d with Kodi.
Yes, the firmware update would be the best solution. There was no problem with 3D movies on the W1070 after the firmware updates.
What worked with my tests was, to play the identical films with a notebook and PowerDVD. It automatically switched to the correct format and the side-by-side movie was outputted in 3D.
post #19 of 44 Old 08-21-2018, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Yes, the firmware update would be the best solution. There was no problem with 3D movies on the W1070 after the firmware updates.
What worked with my tests was, to play the identical films with a notebook and PowerDVD. It automatically switched to the correct format and the side-by-side movie was outputted in 3D.
That's because powerdvd converts it to framepacked 3d i think. Most software i found only sends out framepacked 3d, and converts whatever content you give it to that. Not even sure if display drivers support other modes.
post #20 of 44 Old 08-21-2018, 08:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think the issue is that the projector currently only allows 3d if the signal is actually 3d... In the HDMI signal, a flag can also be set that it's SBS 3d, and there seems no way to force it.
Actually, you might be able to force the 3D flag using PowerDVD (I have not tried this). You can designate a SBS file to be a 3D file by first going to the directory of the file, right click the file and choose SBS format under the Change 3D Format tab. The file then will be labeled as 3D. I think that should set the flag. Then click on the gear icon in the lower right. Select 3D Display and leave it at 2D or Auto detect. If that doesn't work select one of the 1.4 hdmi displays which will force frame packed. It might take some fiddling, but should work if you have the right graphics card.
post #21 of 44 Old 08-21-2018, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Actually, you might be able to force the 3D flag using PowerDVD (I have not tried this). You can designate a SBS file to be a 3D file by first going to the directory of the file, right click the file and choose SBS format under the Change 3D Format tab. The file then will be labeled as 3D. I think that should set the flag. Then click on the gear icon in the lower right. Select 3D Display and leave it at 2D or Auto detect. If that doesn't work select one of the 1.4 hdmi displays which will force frame packed. It might take some fiddling, but should work if you have the right graphics card.
I'm using powerDVD, and it has a menu where you can configure what it does with 3d content. On my Nvidia card, all i can do is choose framepacked 1080p or 720p (and 1080p sometimes results in a tear in the middle of the screen >_<). So as far as i can tell, powerdvd will convert all 3d formats to whatever you configured in that menu (sometimes causing tears in the middel of the screen as their buffering during the conversion seems flawed. forcing triple buffer luckily mostly solved that issue for me).
post #22 of 44 Old 08-21-2018, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm using powerDVD, and it has a menu where you can configure what it does with 3d content. On my Nvidia card, all i can do is choose framepacked 1080p or 720p (and 1080p sometimes results in a tear in the middle of the screen >_<). So as far as i can tell, powerdvd will convert all 3d formats to whatever you configured in that menu (sometimes causing tears in the middel of the screen as their buffering during the conversion seems flawed. forcing triple buffer luckily mostly solved that issue for me).
Yeah, you need a quad-buffered card to do 3D correctly. Nvidia calls them Quadro cards, but others have them as well.
post #23 of 44 Old 09-28-2018, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Hi guys, i m interested in this projector purely to use with a pc for 3d gaming, since this can do 1080p 120hz would 3d vision work on it the same way it does on the optoma uhd50?

Thanks.

JVC DLA X590/RS440 / BenQ LK970
madVR HTPC with 1080ti / Lumagen radiance pro 4242
Arendal 1723 LCR Monitors / M&K S150 Surrounds in 5.1.4 atmos setup / Yamaha AX2050 AVR / MiniDSP88BM audio processor/ beta3 6 channels Amp .
post #24 of 44 Old 09-28-2018, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnaik4 View Post
Hi guys, i m interested in this projector purely to use with a pc for 3d gaming, since this can do 1080p 120hz would 3d vision work on it the same way it does on the optoma uhd50?

Thanks.

Yes, just make sure you use HDMI input 1 (the full bandwidth HDMI port).

post #25 of 44 Old 09-30-2018, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I had another run in with 3D last night on the TK800. I have been using input 2, as we all should know by now, that it supports 1.4 hdmi 3D better than input 1 (the 4K input). That said, I've been having some issues with the last two 3D movies I've watched. There have been weird contrast and 3D sync issues. Well, I looked through all my settings, then went to the Lamp settings, and sure enough, I had Smart Eco set. I had it on Eco or Normal in the past, but must have changed it when I was watching some 4K video. Long story short, I changed it to Normal and all of my problems were cleared up. Something about Smart Eco that doesn't work with DLP shutterglasses. Smart Eco changes the lamp brightness according to contrast changes in scenes to provide more contrast

Make sure you do not have Smart Eco selected when watching 3D, along with using Input 2.
sage11x and sparky7 like this.
post #26 of 44 Old 09-30-2018, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1497 Post(s)
Liked: 604
Quote:
I had another run in with 3D last night on the TK800. I have been using input 2, as we all should know by now, that it supports 1.4 hdmi 3D better than input 1 (the 4K input). That said, I've been having some issues with the last two 3D movies I've watched. There have been weird contrast and 3D sync issues. Well, I looked through all my settings, then went to the Lamp settings, and sure enough, I had Smart Eco set. I had it on Eco or Normal in the past, but must have changed it when I was watching some 4K video. Long story short, I changed it to Normal and all of my problems were cleared up. Something about Smart Eco that doesn't work with DLP shutterglasses. Smart Eco changes the lamp brightness according to contrast changes in scenes to provide more contrast

Make sure you do not have Smart Eco selected when watching 3D, along with using Input 2.
Interesting. I thought all projectors automatically locked in full lamp power with 3D mode because max brightness was needed for 3D. I am not a fan of 3D so it was academic, but still a factoid in the back of my brain somewhere.

Kirk Ellis
BenQ TK800 VuTec 122" Screen, Harmon Kardon AVR 247
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center, Energy Take 5 Surrounds
post #27 of 44 Old 10-01-2018, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer View Post
Interesting. I thought all projectors automatically locked in full lamp power with 3D mode because max brightness was needed for 3D. I am not a fan of 3D so it was academic, but still a factoid in the back of my brain somewhere.
Hah, I did too, but not the case here.
post #28 of 44 Old 10-01-2018, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The lamp dimming on the TK800 and HT2550 is very aggressive-- much more aggressive than their prior 1080p models. I sort of wish they would implement a 'strength' setting for this feature as opposed to a simple on/off (like some of their competition does) but, overall, I'm satisfied with the performance of the feature.

post #29 of 44 Old 10-01-2018, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The Smart Eco is like Optoma's Dynamic Black and works well on some videos, but for 3D, it just did not work right for me. Plus, I didn't realize that in 3D mode, it does not go into Normal Lamp Mode (bright mode) automatically.
post #30 of 44 Old 11-17-2018, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The BenQ TK800 is now on sale on BenQdirect and amazon.com. There is already a thread in the deals section if you want more details!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page