2k Budget HW45ES or budget 4k? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 21Likes

post #1 of 85 Old 07-25-2018, 05:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
2k Budget HW45ES or budget 4k?

Recently moved into a new home and have a finished basement room that is 18' x 20'. No windows, one door to the garage, one door out to the rest of the basement. Had intended to buy a 65" OLED but I think I have changed my mind to a projector.

Usage will primarily be movies (nothing in 3d at the moment), a little gaming (RPG style games, no shooters), maybe some Netflix usage.

Room is fully light controlled, and I will be painting it dark this weekend.

My budget is around $2000 for projector and screen. I'm currently debating between the new budget 4k's from Optoma (UHD60, 51A or 50), the Sony HW45ES, or maybe an Epson model. Any recommendations I've left out, or suggestions if you were in my place on what to do?

Sony HW45ES - Excellent blacks, good contrast, but no 4k.
UHD60 / 51A / 50 - 4k but lacking contrast (loved the look of the OLED with their deep blacks, willing to give some of that up for an ~120" screen)

Was looking at a grey screen from Silver Ticket I think. I use a single bookshelf speaker as my center so it can stay out of the way with my floorstanders right at the edge. Don't think I will go big enough to need the acoustically transparent screens.

Thanks for the input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 85 Old 07-25-2018, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamrushpntball View Post
Recently moved into a new home and have a finished basement room that is 18' x 20'. No windows, one door to the garage, one door out to the rest of the basement. Had intended to buy a 65" OLED but I think I have changed my mind to a projector.

Usage will primarily be movies (nothing in 3d at the moment), a little gaming (RPG style games, no shooters), maybe some Netflix usage.

My budget is around $2000 for projector and screen. I'm currently debating between the new budget 4k's from Optoma (UHD60, 51A or 50), the Sony HW45ES, or maybe an Epson model. Any recommendations I've left out, or suggestions if you were in my place on what to do?

UHD60 / 51A / 50 - 4k but lacking contrast (loved the look of the OLED with their deep blacks, willing to give some of that up for an ~120" screen)

Was looking at a grey screen from Silver Ticket I think. I use a single bookshelf speaker as my center so it can stay out of the way with my floorstanders right at the edge. Don't think I will go big enough to need the acoustically transparent screens.

Thanks for the input!

Hello Team,

1) The CEDIA and IFA conventions happen soon. Delay your purchase and make a choice in the light of new information.

2) Gamers are the most enthusiastic about projectors with the Texas Instruments 4K (or faux 4K) chips. They like the resolution / sharpness boost, and are indifferent to the lackluster contrast. Some viewers who watch sporting events in ambient light may like the recent DLP projectors too. If you watch in an ordinary room with some ambient light, the best contrast performance will not be discernible anyway.

3) Bat-cave movie watchers have been the most critical of the recent DLP projectors. They prefer the higher contrast LCOS and LCD projectors from JVC, Sony, and Epson. When watching movies from normal viewing distances, it is difficult or impossible to reliably distinguish between the various e-shift techniques and so-called true 4K. Unless you have an unusually large screen, very good vision, and sit very close to your screen, you may not be able to discriminate between the resolution of 1080P Blu Ray discs and the newer 4K UHD Blu Ray discs. Even if you can reliably tell the difference, you may not think that the resolution bump upwards is significant.

4) I have been watching movies and BBC nature documentaries with an Epson 5040 and a 159" 16:9 Da-Lite High Power 2.8 screen in a basement bat cave room for about a year and a half. I watch from about twelve feet away. Mostly 1080P Blu Ray discs, but some newer 4K UHD Blu Ray discs too. I even watch DVDs. The difference between DVDs and 1080P Blu Ray discs is very easy to see. Even Mr. Magoo would notice and appreciate it. But the difference between 1080P Blu Rays and 4K UHD Blu Rays is subtle. Many viewers would not notice or care about it. To my eyes, the superior contrast - especially with the BBC Planet Earth II and Blue Planet II - makes the 4K UHD discs noticeably better. Sunlight looks more true to life, and this makes outdoor scenes more realistic. Though with many other movies, the difference is no big deal. For me, the better contrast of the 4K UHD material counts for much more than the slight improvement in resolution. In full disclosure, I am middle aged, wear corrective glasses, and have some color blindness. Younger viewers with superior visual acuity may see a more obvious improvement with 4K UHD films. I got the Epson because it was a wonderful 1080P machine, and the vast majority of my watching is 1080P. The pixel shifting and UHD features were just a nice bonus.

5) If the Epson 5040 projector did not have power supply quality control problems, I would say spend more money and buy one instead of the older Sony HW45. The Epson has a dynamic iris lacking in the Sony, is brighter, and is much more full featured. Maybe the new Epson 5050 model will correct the power supply problem. If the JVC LCOS projectors did not have such expensive replacement lamps, I would say buy a close-out model from Mike Garrett or Craig Peer at AVScience. The JVC projectors have contrast that is a cut above even the better Epsons and Sonys. You would need to spend more than you have budgeted. But not that much more.

6) You are more of a darkened room movie person than a gamer, so get the Sony HW45 instead of one of the DLP projectors if you have to buy now. Better contrast will make more of a noticeable improvement in your viewing experience than better resolution, at least when watching movies.With games, it might be a different story.

Wait until the next CEDIA and IFA shows before buying if possible.

Happy viewing,
Joel Dickman

The harder it is to tell the difference, the less difference it makes.

Last edited by joel dickman; 08-04-2018 at 12:29 PM.
post #3 of 85 Old 07-25-2018, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1055 Post(s)
Liked: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by joel dickman View Post
Since you are more of a darkened room movie person than a gamer, I would get the Sony HW45 instead of one of the DLP projectors. The better contrast will make more of a noticeable improvement in your viewing experience than the boosted resolution.
Totally agree, I was in this very dilemma not 6 months ago but after viewing simultaneously between the 45ES and the Optoma UHD60 I found that the improvement in contrast actually gave the impression that it was a sharper, more defined picture. So the Sony won me over and I've not regretted that decision one bit.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)

Movie Image collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 85 Old 07-25-2018, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Quoted: 3053 Post(s)
Liked: 3168
2k Budget HW45ES or budget 4k?

This is a tough question and one that is on the minds of many projector shoppers right now.

I tend to be a bigger proponent for the budget 4K projectors than many around here. But let me say this: a 4K projector is only as good as the content you feed it. While 1080p content looks great on a 4K projector the real reason to pay the premium for a 4K unit is to watch high quality 4K content. If you have a 4K Blu-ray player, a premium console (Pro or X), or high bandwidth internet than a 4K projector can offer a substantial increase in clarity and immersion (IMO of course). If you are only watching upconverted HD Blu-ray, have an HD console or have limited internet bandwidth (and don’t plan to upgrade) than you are not really taking advantage of what a 4K projector has to offer. In this case the improved contrast of an equivalently priced 1080p projector, like the Sony 45ES you mentioned, is going to give you a better picture with HD content. It’s also worth mentioning that similarly priced 1080p projector typically have more features and lower lag than their 4K competition.

I’m so torn on the Sony 45ES right now. For a long time I had the Sony sitting on my Amazon wish list and it has traditionally been an easy recommendation around here as it is one of the best performing projectors at it’s price. But, TODAY, I find that recommendation difficult to make as it is effectively one of the last and most expensive 1080p ONLY projectors being sold. Most of it’s competition now offer 4K or 4k enhancement with some ability to accept or display HDR. Now, don’t misunderstand me, the Sony has a fantastic image and, at it’s price, it offers the best contrast/black level performance which many enthusiasts agree is the most impactful factor affecting picture quality (not the only).

Projection is all about going BIG and while 1080p still looks great, the truth is the industry is starting to move on and 4K content is becoming more ubiquitous. You’ll hear people saying that 4K doesn’t make much of a difference and I’m going to disagree. Obviously the increase in resolution does not happen in a vacuum so you have to consider other areas of image quality and weigh them accordingly. But we’re talking a 120” screen here. When you’re viewing a 120” screen it’s hard for me to recommend a projector with a resolution that many mobile phones now beat. At least not at the $2k price point. Also, many people who say they can’t tell a difference are viewing on smaller screens from further seating distances— so called ‘recommended’ viewing distances. 4K throws those recommendations out the window. I like to be immersed and always sit in the front half of the theater when I go to a movie. But at home I always felt I couldn’t sit as close as I’d like without the grid patten of a 1080p image becoming noticeable. 4K solves that for me.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Last edited by sage11x; 07-25-2018 at 09:00 AM.
post #5 of 85 Old 07-25-2018, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 18
For me, it is on the verge of being too early (not many quality options) for moving to 4k (including pixel shift).

With that said, I have a Sony 45ES coming and will know shorty if I'm happy with my choice. The Vivitek HK2299 was the alternative for me, with the Epson 5040 being a potential 3rd choice. I am not in a basement and have some ambient light.
post #6 of 85 Old 07-25-2018, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1712 Post(s)
Liked: 1254
I swear by the Sony HW45ES, but the actual medium of 4K itself renders a higher overall image quality from start to finish. This is where cheaper models can look a fair bit better for the mere fact that they accept a 4K source.

I think for a serious home theater vs. a cheaper setup, the importance of gaining quality contrast is simply not to be trifled with.

The JVC RS420 (DLA570), if available from AVS, is the way to go in a good theater setup if you are on more of a budget. Yes, the lamps are more expensive, but the overall jump in quality with 5th (or so) generation of 4K support from JVC, is worth it.

Grey screens are for family rooms and really should not be used in a proper theater. Stick with a minimal gain white screen. The white Silver Ticket screens are certainly a good starting point.
sage11x likes this.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #7 of 85 Old 07-25-2018, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
This is exactly the thread I've been searching for. I'm trying to decide whether to purchase the Sony HW45ES or one of the 4k projectors in the similar price range. It seems to come down to contrast vs resolution. (My tv's are plasma, because I appreciated the contrast and black levels. I figure once the plasmas are ready to be replaced, OLED will have come down in price.).

My situation is similar to OP's, but my sole concern is what makes movies look best. We do no gaming and watch some sports.

I have a light-controlled basement room with a 135 inch white, acoustically transparent screen from silver ticket. The walls are dark, the ceiling is light (but I could paint it). First row is about 8 feet back.

I'm close to buying the Sony, but I worry I'll wish I had gone for 4k. I'll look into the JVC 4k options, but pricing is more difficult to find there.

Thank you everyone for your advice.
post #8 of 85 Old 07-25-2018, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 165 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked: 3806
As others have already said this is a tough call because both options have pros and cons, so it really comes down to individual preferences as to what you really can and can't live without. The 4K pixel-shifting DLPs win on sharpness and fine details while the HW45ES wins by most other measures. I'd love to be able to get even more detail and sharpness than my HW45ES displays but I wouldn't be willing to sacrifice the superior native black levels and overall image quality I'm currently enjoying. I completely understand how others have just the opposite opinion due to differing personal preferences. The best advice I can give is to take your time, give a lot of thought to what matters most to you and pick the projector with the best balance of pros and cons for you and not the one others tell you is best for them.
sage11x likes this.
post #9 of 85 Old 07-26-2018, 12:28 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked: 701
My $.02 so take it as you will...

At the price mentioned (sub $2K) this is a no comparison contest if over-all image quality is the goal, the 45es offers a superior image to the current XPR based units (coming from a true fan of DLP front projection that also owns a JVC). I have recently had the UHD50, UHD60, Vivitek 2288 & 2299 in my personal HT and the 45es bests them on all counts other than resolution (which is the only real benefit from the XPR units IMO). The native contrast advantage of the 45es means that even with the XPR based units accepting HDR (tone mapping) the 45es still looks better (I have tweaked my 45es to look more HDR capable than the XPR based units, the end result is more convincing). Had any of the XPR units impressed me more than the 45es I would currently own one of them. I use a Sony x800 UHD player with the 45es and tweak the settings to maximize the resulting image from the 45es (the x800 is also in use for the Atmos audio tracks). I also have a Darbee in the mix to help with perceived sharpness (used in moderation it's an effective tool that allows me to enhance the image while remaining within reference calibration specifications). Just as an FYI I am projecting onto a white 1.1 gain 133" screen. Hopefully the second gen XPR based units in the sub $2k range will offer reasonable IQ improvements, it's upsetting that even a budget $750 DLP (BenQ 2050a) can best the XPR units when it comes to contrast (and other aspects... less noise than most, lower input lag than all).

Best of luck,
- Jason

HT = Epson 5050ub @133" / Marantz SR6013 7.3.4 Atmos / B&K 5000 II amp / Boston VR2/VR12/CR67 speakers / Rythmik 12" x2 / CV 15" / Sony x800 / Panasonic UB820 VOTE BLUE
Media Room = Sony 65x930e / Denon x3300 /Klipsch speakers /Velodyne subs /Sony x700 /PS4 Pro + PSVR/WiiU/PS3/360/Wii/ 2080 TI - 9900K PC / Multi-Arcade / Virtual Pinball TRE45ON
post #10 of 85 Old 07-26-2018, 12:52 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamrushpntball View Post

Thanks for the input!
Hi,

Read my posts in this thread: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...r-w-alexa.html

I just replaced my Sony VPL-HW55ES with an -in my eyes budget- Optoma UHD51 projector.
I will never look back

Mike

Sony XBR-75X940E (75XE9405) | Sony XBR-55X9305E (55XE9305) | Sony VPL-HW55ES | Optoma UHD51 | OPPO UDP 203 + 103D | Denon X4200W + PMA-520AE (Atmos Front) | 2 x Apple TV 4K | 2 x JBL Northridge E80 - JBL Northridge E150P/230 - 2 x ELAC B5 - 4 x ELAC A4 - ELAC Uni-Fi UC5
post #11 of 85 Old 07-26-2018, 04:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks for the great feedback everyone, and glad my question helped some others. I think I will wait until after CEDIA to purchase, with the intent of buying a JVC RS420 if they come down in price at all. I've found a dealer nearby with Sony projectors that I intend to go look at to see if the 45ES will suffice or if I will miss the ability to go 4k.

Also thanks for the input on screens, leaning towards the white silver ticket model.
post #12 of 85 Old 07-26-2018, 05:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think HW45ES Is good choice.Most probably You can go for It
post #13 of 85 Old 07-26-2018, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Definitely try to go see the newer RS440 from JVC at a store if you can. Some have the better JVC models, some have the Sony out, but look for a 4K/eShift type JVC and it should compare nicely to the RS420. AVS has had refurbs for about $2,000, which is likely about the lowest you will ever find them until they start showing up on the 'used' market in a few years.

You actually have two distinct comparisons above between a the Sony and the UHD models with opposite opinions. This is where I think the JVC makes the difference because it accepts the 4K image and does a great job processing it. So, you end up with near 4K sharpness, but full 4K color, very good brightness, very good image processing, 3D (if you care), an excellent lens, etc., etc. So, it's a solid step up on the Sony and the DLP pixel shifters except for absolute resolution detail.

I haven't read from anyone who has compared a RS420/440 series to the DLP pixel shifters, maybe I'll go ask in the $3K+ forum.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #14 of 85 Old 07-26-2018, 01:22 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 295
It's kind of sad that 2K and under price range the answer is always 45es, even many years after it came out. Had I known this, I would've upgraded a long time ago, but buying one now just seems foolish given how quickly the market is changing.

Standard response to anyone asking "what projector should I buy": wait for CEDIA. Even if you end up buying the same thing, chances are you'll be able to find it used cheaper when others want to upgrade to something shiny and new.
post #15 of 85 Old 07-26-2018, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

I haven't read from anyone who has compared a RS420/440 series to the DLP pixel shifters, maybe I'll go ask in the $3K+ forum.

Here you go sir: https://www.projectorcentral.com/JVC...toma-UHZ65.htm

Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

post #16 of 85 Old 07-26-2018, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Go for 4k , you will see the difference , specially on big screens .
post #17 of 85 Old 07-26-2018, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 94
I've had my Sony 45es for 2 years and I'd easily recommend it. It's so good, that I'm not even in a rush to upgrade to a 4k PJ.
post #18 of 85 Old 07-26-2018, 07:46 PM

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 2991 Post(s)
Liked: 1573
I would look at the B-Stock JVC market, there are deals now and then. Otherwise, look at the used JVC market, but the bulb prices are the killer as others noted.
However, all JVC's prior to the RS-400/500/600 series you can find decent OEM aftermarket branded bulbs (yes you have to be careful, but some do work fine).

You said 'only a little gaming', so I'd just live with the input lag and not do competitive gaming on the older JVC.

If considering an older used JVC, then look at a JVC RS-46 or even an RS-56 or RS-49.
A good quality used RS-46 is often cheaper than the Sony hw45es, and if you won't be doing much gaming, the RS-46 has a better picture.
For an even better image over the RS-46, look at a used RS-56 (or RS-57, but the 57 goes for more $$$ and difference is negligible).

Unless you get a steal, I would not go with the RS-45 or earlier series because of the lamp issues (lamps will only last 1000-1500 hours on average, though you do get them cheap).

People often critize me for suggesting used, but if you are paying 1/4 price of what it costs new, that makes no sense.

Honestly, I'd buy (2) x Rs-45's for $700 before I'd buy (1) new Sony.

If you can get a projector on Ebay (rarely as good of deals), then you are covered at least through the first couple weeks if a problem develops.
Ebay is safe for buyers (but limited selection of used JVC's for good prices). Ebay is like the easiest place in the world to get your money back as a buyer if something is wrong.
Ebay is only unsafe for sellers.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
post #19 of 85 Old 07-26-2018, 07:52 PM

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 2991 Post(s)
Liked: 1573
Quote:
Definitely try to go see the newer RS440 from JVC at a store if you can. Some have the better JVC models, some have the Sony out, but look for a 4K/eShift type JVC and it should compare nicely to the RS420. AVS has had refurbs for about $2,000, which is likely about the lowest you will ever find them until they start showing up on the 'used' market in a few years.
AVS actually had them for $1500, but that deal is long long gone. It sold out fast when it was there.

The problem is the bulb costs though (if anyone is a heavy user), if not a heavy user then that is fine.
That is why JVC allowed some dealers to sell them so cheaply, JVC is making it back on the bulbs (the bulb prices are ridiculous).

That is why I think with only a $2000 budget for projector and screen, I'd likely find a used JVC RS-56 would be my pick, or a used RS-46.
You can get reasonable bulb prices for these two.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
post #20 of 85 Old 07-26-2018, 08:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 165 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked: 3806
Nothing wrong with suggesting used. Some folks are OK buying used items and some prefer buying new, so it makes sense to lay out both options.
post #21 of 85 Old 07-26-2018, 08:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
I've read that one, and I think the UHZ65 stands out for what it is. As a head-to-head review at that price point, it's a decent read, but people want to know that upgrade paths are worth it and make sense. Especially if they can find a deal on a model like the RS420.

The big thing is people talking heavily about 4K vs. eShift and whether that matters in the least from a more typical viewing distance. Whether $500 or $1,000 is better saved, then spent.

I'm hoping we see JVC push eShift under $3,000, or more, and to see Sony get their true 4K at $4,000. JVC has to stay ahead of Sony on this, or Sony will completely obliterate JVC in very short order. A Sony with 18Gb/s input support and native 4K for $4,000, makes spending $3,500 on a JVC just insane. It will push an easy MSRP down to $3,000 and less. Hopefully closer to $2,500 or less.

But, for the short term, just knowing the jump from a $1,500 model (street) to about $3,000 (or find a deal if it is out there) is nice to have.

post #22 of 85 Old 07-27-2018, 06:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I've read that one, and I think the UHZ65 stands out for what it is. As a head-to-head review at that price point, it's a decent read, but people want to know that upgrade paths are worth it and make sense. Especially if they can find a deal on a model like the RS420.

The big thing is people talking heavily about 4K vs. eShift and whether that matters in the least from a more typical viewing distance. Whether $500 or $1,000 is better saved, then spent.

I'm hoping we see JVC push eShift under $3,000, or more, and to see Sony get their true 4K at $4,000. JVC has to stay ahead of Sony on this, or Sony will completely obliterate JVC in very short order. A Sony with 18Gb/s input support and native 4K for $4,000, makes spending $3,500 on a JVC just insane. It will push an easy MSRP down to $3,000 and less. Hopefully closer to $2,500 or less.

But, for the short term, just knowing the jump from a $1,500 model (street) to about $3,000 (or find a deal if it is out there) is nice to have.
I doubt it. JVC has negotiated with a DLP manufacturer to produce 4K DLPs that will be filling in their lineup below $4000. And I don't think JVC is necessarily in danger from Sony as that high end market tends to value contrast and black levels more than anything else and the Sony 285ES can't hold a candle to the JVCs in that area.

post #23 of 85 Old 07-27-2018, 06:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1055 Post(s)
Liked: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
I doubt it. JVC has negotiated with a DLP manufacturer to produce 4K DLPs that will be filling in their lineup below $4000. And I don't think JVC is necessarily in danger from Sony as that high end market tends to value contrast and black levels more than anything else and the Sony 285ES can't hold a candle to the JVCs in that area.
Everyone will have their own take on this but personally Contrast and Black Levels are vital to an enjoyable movie experience. I have no doubt that in the future budget 4K DLP projectors will achieve and probably exceed what the 45ES has to offer but until then there will be those of us who will forgo the 'superior detail' for much superior contrast and black levels.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)

Movie Image collection
post #24 of 85 Old 07-27-2018, 06:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk504 View Post
I've had my Sony 45es for 2 years and I'd easily recommend it. It's so good, that I'm not even in a rush to upgrade to a 4k PJ.
Agree 100%. I bought mine 18 months ago as a 4K "stop gap". I simply won't pay 5-$8K for a 4K projector that will be outperformed by a ~ $3K 4K projector in 3 years, lol. And it looks like it will happen if not this year, then next, with the current $5k Sony 285 going up against "x" this coming year or next- prolly another Sony, truthfully. Never mind what Epson, JVC, or another OEM will bring to the table, it can't stay faux 4K forever.

I realize one can never get the time back that they spent sitting on the fence, but everyone has their pragmatic/monetary/psychological limits: I truly think I'm going to be happy waiting this one out two or three years in the end.

The Sony 45 is fantastic. Zero regrets.

Good luck
James
Dirk504 likes this.

My Parlor and Theatre: "Jimbo's Dugout" : https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...re-parlor.html

Actual phone call (see pic to left):
 Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"
Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

Last edited by mastermaybe; 07-27-2018 at 06:51 AM.
post #25 of 85 Old 07-27-2018, 07:45 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminated67 View Post
Everyone will have their own take on this but personally Contrast and Black Levels are vital to an enjoyable movie experience. I have no doubt that in the future budget 4K DLP projectors will achieve and probably exceed what the 45ES has to offer but until then there will be those of us who will forgo the 'superior detail' for much superior contrast and black levels.
I can agree with this. The sony I owned back when 1080 LCD projects hit $3k was the last project I had. I as underwhelmed with the light output (120" screen) and black levels (gray).

In regards to other comments:
A JVC for $1500-$2000 sounds hard to turn an eye too. The Vivitek HK2299 I read about had the output and calibrated nicely, which is why it was my personal runner up (for under $2k segment).

Anyway, my $0.02
post #26 of 85 Old 07-27-2018, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1508 Post(s)
Liked: 2289
@guy80, for me, I was torn as I had a Sony 40ES, which throws a great picture and does 108P nicely. I got a deal on the RS420, and am very impressed with it. IT does a great job with both 1080P and 4K discs. I do have an Oppo 203 to help with the viewing. If you can get a decent price, then a JVC is really good. With CEDIA coming up there will be newer projectors to be had, and also some close out prices on the years' prior projectors.
post #27 of 85 Old 07-27-2018, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1007 Post(s)
Liked: 679
I am in a similar situation. I currently have a 40ES in a totally light controlled room which I absolutely love. That said, I also have recently upgraded my sound system to ATMOS and it does suck that so many titles only have ATMOS on the 4K UBD. I have been casually eyeballing current offerings for 4k projectors and I just think that anything I get that is 4k that is in my price range will be a letdown in terms of theater like experience I get from the 40ES. So I am holding off for a few years. If I were buying a projector today I would get something like the 45ES over any of the "budget" 4k projectors.
post #28 of 85 Old 07-27-2018, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminated67 View Post

With proper 4K content there are no quotation marks needed. The 4K DLPs offer a substantially sharper, more detailed image.

I can’t say that everyone would be happy with the contrast of the current 4K offerings below $3K but everyone has different priorities, different budgets and different rooms. Not everyone is willing to settle for 1080p. Not everyone has the money to spend on an ultra high contrast projector as, currently, the only two ultra high contrast projectors in the sub $3k market are the 45ES and 5040ub. (And please don’t talk to me about used because ANY projector can be had used for well below retail). Finally, not everyone has the right room to take advantage of an ultra high contrast projector. Some people have their projector in their living room or a mixed use space.

I quite enjoy the HT2550 I’m currently using. Black levels are poor on pretty much all of the 4K DLPs but in my space with the content I watch the contrast is still satisfying. HDR and lamp dimming really help here. This is all despite the fact I own a 1080p projector with visibly better contrast/blacks and three plasmas all with substantially better contrast and blacks. I still find myself drawn to the 4K unit as the clarity lends an extra degree of immersion. Plus I can go larger / sit closer with no ill effects.

post #29 of 85 Old 07-27-2018, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 49
4K Upgrade to Sony 40ES?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelSmith View Post
I am in a similar situation. I currently have a 40ES in a totally light controlled room which I absolutely love. That said, I also have recently upgraded my sound system to ATMOS and it does suck that so many titles only have ATMOS on the 4K UBD. I have been casually eyeballing current offerings for 4k projectors and I just think that anything I get that is 4k that is in my price range will be a letdown in terms of theater like experience I get from the 40ES. So I am holding off for a few years. If were buying a projector today I would get something like the 45ES over any of the "budget" 4k projectors.

I am in a similar position of having a Sony 40ES (about 3+ years old) in a light controlled room. At present I am quite happy with the quality of the image on a 110" HCCV gray screen and a 7.2 sound system. I have been impressed with some 4K projectors I've seen but upgrading would mean a new 4K player, perhaps a white screen and even new hdmi cables (at present I have a 35' run from player to projector). I have quite a few DVD's (around 800 with about 20% bluray) so will I have to start upgrading and at what cost?

I think I will wait 1-2 years to get the Sony 4K's.

jefny
post #30 of 85 Old 07-28-2018, 02:57 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 9
My take about the contrast and black levels of a projector like the px727-4k and budget 4k projectors in general, is that they perform according to how the source content was mastered. My cheap vieswonic deliveres very
satisffying contrast and blacks when you watch a movie that was intended to have them,uhd disks like: John Wick, Mad Max( fury road), Fifth Element, Gladiator,Blade Runner(1982).
On other movies that weren't intended to have a very contrasty ,black rich image you won't be able to push/gamma the blacks down as you could on an oled or high end projector.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page