• 1 Post By thebailey
  • 1 Post By thebailey

post #1 of 27 Old 08-13-2018, 02:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Designing a pico projector

Hi, long time reader, first time poster. I'm not sure if this is the best section to post this, if the mods could move it to the relevant area if needed, that would be great.

My company is designing a pico projector using MEMS and direct lasers (no phosphor). For those unfamiliar, that's when you have red / green / blue lasers, combine them, then reflect them off a tiny magnetised mirror. Since the movement is so far, you can create a full cinematic image from something that weighs as little as 20g. We've started with the MicroVision modules, but have been able to improve a bunch of the specs so they are now much higher quality.

The reason I'm posting is that we are in the early design phase, and I really want to hear from people on AVSForum. What features have you wanted in a very small projector that have been missing? What things do pico projectors do that drive you nuts? Anything and anything is relevant at this stage, we're aiming for an actual 100 lumens at actual 720p for our first model, with the perfect contrast / black levels / color vibrancy that direct lasers are good at.

Thanks guys!
BattleAxeVR likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 08-13-2018, 04:21 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked: 125
What's your goal ultimately?

I've tested quite a few pico type projectors including those from XGIMI, JMGO and some local Chinese brands. I am interested in a battery operated compact projector that can perform just as well as my XGIMI H1, but it's a tough ask. My H1 has built-in 15w speakers, WIFI, bluetooth and a full blown Android OS with projecting at 1080p and can process 4K videos (downscaled processing). I carry my H1 everywhere, it fits into the backpack and recently traveled with me through 3 different countries (along with a 10kg UST projector, don't ask me how lol). If you can come up with something with exceptional speakers and all the features of my H1 but much lighter and can run off a portable battery pack then I'm very interested.

Some companies like XGIMI (CC AURORA) and JMGO already have small battery operated 720p pico projectors using LED. I actually love the idea because they all have built-in speakers, wifi and bluetooth, and they're separate from other key devices like phones and computers which makes them more useful. So I assume those would be your competition regardless of whether you use laser or not.

What's missing with a lot of these pico projectors is 1080p, most of them still only project at 720p. Their lumens ratings aren't that high either, but much higher than your proposed projector, so you would need to get up to at least 300 lumens to compete.

So these are the 2 things that fell short of me wanting to buy an ultra-light pico projector, the lack of 1080p and lumens. If yours doesn't have built-in speakers, WIFI, bluetooth and a decent OS then I think that would drive me nuts.
post #3 of 27 Old 08-13-2018, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 3578 Post(s)
Liked: 2764
This is the right forum for this discussion. A pico projector using a micro electro mechanical system mirror and direct RGB lasers obviously has advantages over LED and other technologies, especially in terms of size. There aren't many projectors available that can fit in a pocket so there won't be much competition for the segment of the projector market that's looking for something that small. If it's much smaller than other pico projectors then your marketing department may want to give it a classification not being used by others, such as nano projector.

It would be smart to design it to be compatible with the same small portable power banks used to charge cellphones as many people already have these mobile power sources. It would also be good to have Bluetooth capability built in to synch with an external speaker as such a small projector would not have much room to accommodate a serious internal speaker. Adding wireless capability would allow it to synch with a smartphone, tablet or laptop to stream video. Micro-size Bluetooth and wireless chips are already well developed for smartphones, and it sounds as if this projector will be as small as or smaller than a smartphone.

Is this being designed primarily for the business market, home entertainment market or both?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 08-13-2018, 07:25 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Would this be similar to the one laser Sony has?

It would be all about wireless when it comes with a Pico, so it must have a robust Wi-Fi/ BT/ Casting system. Long battery life would be a plus & some Auto Features since you would have less mechanical controls on the device & of course Lumens! The more the merrier

I have the UKCSIS T8 & it's around 100 lumens, I guess, it's nice to have when you travel or visit families & friends. Since it has a 32gb storage & Android system it's easy to carry around photos & videos of trips & it's still OK to watch even with lights on (see sample). It's so portable that you can beam it almost on any flat surface like when lying on the bed. An intuitive BT remote would be nice to have & you can bundle it with a portable BT speaker loud enough to fill a small room. And also cover most if not all different AV standards that it can play & make it 1080p/ 4K compatible.

If you search for Pico pj you'll get a ton of hits, the market is full of it SO yours should stand out & would be affordable. Good Luck on your project.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ukcsis.png
Views:	73
Size:	493.3 KB
ID:	2441340   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180222_192259.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	173.8 KB
ID:	2441350   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180222_184843.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	2441352   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180222_180644.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	2441354  

XGimi CC, XGimi Z6, UKCSIS, Vmai M200 Pico
Xbox One S, LG SH4

Last edited by wheelee; 08-13-2018 at 07:44 PM.
post #5 of 27 Old 08-15-2018, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelee View Post
Would this be similar to the one laser Sony has?

It would be all about wireless when it comes with a Pico, so it must have a robust Wi-Fi/ BT/ Casting system. Long battery life would be a plus & some Auto Features since you would have less mechanical controls on the device & of course Lumens! The more the merrier
Make it a semi-computer while you're at it

Seriously, it'll be hard for him to compete with what's out there unless he has something quite innovative. I'm interested in what it is.
post #6 of 27 Old 08-16-2018, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

Rocklee
Our goal ultimately: to finally make a decent quality pico projector in terms of resolution and color accuracy.
Haha backpacking with a 10kg projector, so you never skip leg day
Actually I haven't found any projectors around 300g that can actually project even a 720p test pattern and resolve each pixel, so I'd consider an actual 720 lines or resolution a worthy milestone. Similarly I've never seen 300 actual lumens coming out of a sub-kg projector, but I haven't seen them all.

Dave in Green:
Ooo, great tip, I'll be sure to trademark femto-projector asap!
Those are great suggestions, and that's right on the money. If we're lucky, this will be half the size and weight of a standard phone.
Originally, I just wanted to have something like the same quality you'd get out of a BenQ 1080ST in a pico projector for watching movies (albeit darker), but having created a prototype, travelling sales type people seem quite interested too.

Wheelee:
Yes, we started with the Sony module, and now our prototype shares less than half the components, but with much improved specs. Yes, I can't rely on the battery in any projector I own to get you through a whole movie, ours will not have that problem. We've got some pretty cool auto keystone controls we're developing, but that's possibly one of the things we can patent so I'll save the details for a bit. I'll make sure we throw in all the dongles so you can get your SNES to connect up to this if you have to!

rocklee x2:
Well of course I think it's quite innovative, but I check tech news each morning nervously hovering my cursor over new projector technologies just in case someone has made the same improvements we have.

Thanks for the conversation guys. It's a nightmare when you're designing things to actually talk to consumers and even tech guys because you're behind all these NDA's and are afraid of disclosure invalidating your patents before the ink is dry. However a lack of these conversations is why we get so many projectors that are like "oh these features are good, too bad they ruined it by forgetting about...". I'll check this thread frequently and respond to any thoughts you have.
post #7 of 27 Old 08-16-2018, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebailey View Post
Rocklee
Our goal ultimately: to finally make a decent quality pico projector in terms of resolution and color accuracy.
Haha backpacking with a 10kg projector, so you never skip leg day
Actually I haven't found any projectors around 300g that can actually project even a 720p test pattern and resolve each pixel, so I'd consider an actual 720 lines or resolution a worthy milestone. Similarly I've never seen 300 actual lumens coming out of a sub-kg projector, but I haven't seen them all.

rocklee x2:
Well of course I think it's quite innovative, but I check tech news each morning nervously hovering my cursor over new projector technologies just in case someone has made the same improvements we have.
H1 is only about 2kg, same weight as an average 17" laptop, the UST projector with built-in 60w speakers is about 10kg Talking about the weight of these projectors really make them sound heavy to all these pico projectors by comparison lol

I thought I mentioned it earlier but have you seen smartphones with built-in projection like the Moviphone? These have been around for ages, that's another market that you could watch as well. There are so many pico 720p laser projectors on the market, but to be honest as a gadget guy I haven't found anything that got my attention...yet

Last edited by rocklee; 08-16-2018 at 03:37 PM.
post #8 of 27 Old 08-16-2018, 06:30 PM

...is a touch screen too much to ask for? lol

@BattleAxeVR
awesome technical stuff there, for sure the TS can pick up a thing or two from those comments.
BattleAxeVR likes this.

Xbox One S, LG SH4
post #9 of 27 Old 08-17-2018, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelee View Post
...is a touch screen too much to ask for? lol

@BattleAxeVR
awesome technical stuff there, for sure the TS can pick up a thing or two from those comments.
Well, I guess if you could connect it to your smartphone with an app there would be no need to spend on a touchscreen.
BattleAxeVR likes this.
post #10 of 27 Old 08-18-2018, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

BattleAxeVR:
Wow, this is some next level feedback! I'll certainly be reaching out to you via PM.
I like your idea of having more flexibility with the refresh rate, and your idea of a shifter to increase the res / reduce speckle. Regarding the Sony unit, I can't say much due to NDAs, but their solution to fix laser speckle was to add 2 more lasers of slightly different wavelengths, not a great solution imho. And regarding banding, their color maths is severely hampered by some intrinsic limits with current MEMS mirrors (most of the problems didn't come from linear DACs). Varying gamma is a big part of what we want to implement to allow the user to match the conditions projected in. Part of the issue we're facing is that many of the quality controlling variables are 'baked in' to the ASIC, and they require very large minimum order quantities to allow you to modify it. Thank you also for mentioning Optotune, I had not heard of them, and they seem to be doing great work, I'll see if it is feasible to implement their tech.

Wheelee:
Actually a touchscreen isn't too much to ask for, the microvision modules come with a LIDAR-like ability to measure distance, which means they can 'see' the surface they're looking at, and we could implement a touchscreen that way.

Descalabro:
Phone functionality is key for a tiny projector, still deciding if we will need an app to maximise the experience for the casual user.

I am so glad I posted to this forum, keep em coming guys and I'll keep you posted of our progress!
BattleAxeVR likes this.
post #11 of 27 Old 09-01-2018, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Some hints and questions

Interesting.
  1. So, your projector can display real 720p so that standard sized text is readable? I think it is very important that you can project a Windows desktop, Outlook emails and Word documents - in a way that it is usable and standard sized text is readable. That will not work with Microvison modules and Sony MP-CL1(A). If text in standard size is not possible at 720p, the Android GUI will also look as bad as with the Voga V smartphone.
  2. What are your destination markets? US? EU? China? Which laser safety class has your projector? Microvision and Sony failed because their projector is already in class 3r. This means it could not be sold in the biggest market worldwide, the EU market. There only laser class 2 is allowed for end consumer products. The MP-CL1(A) was sold around the EU but not in the EU. The successor, DLP based, is sold also in the EU. The Sony/Microvision modules have only approx. 40 lumens. Is your projector still in class 3r with 100 lumens or already in class 4? Than you will not be able to sell it to end consumer in any country. Stop the development... You should try to get into class 2. Can you do that? Until which lumen values? No leading company will release a top product that cannot be sold in the EU.
  3. How are you reducing the speckle effect?
  4. Have you noticed that Microvision claims to be already ahead in the resolution and will have 2560*1440 pixels at 120 Hz? What do you think about it? Do you see still a chance to compete with them?
  5. Will you be able to sell your module without a license from Microvision, Sony, Bosch, or other companies? Do you have checked that? This could also be a high risk.
  6. What do you think about the Bosch projector BML050? Announced two years ago it seems to be that is is still not market ready. I do not know anything about your company but maybe it is very difficult to get from the prototype stage to a mass market production...
post #12 of 27 Old 09-01-2018, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Hi, long time reader, first time poster. I'm not sure if this is the best section to post this, if the mods could move it to the relevant area if needed, that would be great.

My company is designing a pico projector using MEMS and direct lasers (no phosphor). For those unfamiliar, that's when you have red / green / blue lasers, combine them, then reflect them off a tiny magnetised mirror. Since the movement is so far, you can create a full cinematic image from something that weighs as little as 20g. We've started with the MicroVision modules, but have been able to improve a bunch of the specs so they are now much higher quality.

The reason I'm posting is that we are in the early design phase, and I really want to hear from people on AVSForum. What features have you wanted in a very small projector that have been missing? What things do pico projectors do that drive you nuts? Anything and anything is relevant at this stage, we're aiming for an actual 100 lumens at actual 720p for our first model, with the perfect contrast / black levels / color vibrancy that direct lasers are good at.

Thanks guys!
Hi, this sounds awesome. How did you modify the performance of the MicroVision module? That sounds like it would be hard to do.
post #13 of 27 Old 09-02-2018, 12:19 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Hi thebailey,

can dreams become true ?- a great project.

If your company plans to build a really pro version I have some inputs.

If your company with this project before the design output phase please rethink some new values.

- a pico should go with 1080p & Full3D

- minimum 800lm

- lightpath optimized optics, ways (maybe glass lens)

- a inside lens design, light path which reduce internal reflections due zero

- a efficient and quit cooling solution

- an automatic iris or a software solution for dynamic black without artifacts like gamma drifts and burnt highlights

- real blacks and no paper values, a minimum CR of 5000:1 would be great

- a complete CMS for calibration primary and secondary colors (x,y,Y)

- in 2018 you need some smart OS or other multimedia stuff inside, wireless & BT option etc....

- a low input lag

- real 24fps support, most units rework the refresh rates up to 60Hz fix (as result you get micro juddering, stuttering)

- some good FI modes

- as Dave in green said - running with a power bank (I have an Optoma LH200 for testing with inside 12800mAh battery)

Also i have a small 800lm & 420g pico unit (Optoma ML750ST) but its only 1280x720.

Name:	ML750ST.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	2449842

As an SCI-FI fan I like real black images.

Have a look to these Pictures

This shows a really bad "black" image from my H1 testing Jan.2017.

Name:	X1 Jan2017.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	2449844

Here is a black image from the ML750ST unit.

Name:	ML750STBlack.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	393.1 KB
ID:	2449846

If your company design also a pro Version, this could be absolutely great and a big hit for the other brands.

P.S.

The Optoma LH200 have small dimensions too and the best pico, portable unit lens ive ever seen. Razer sharp in all for edges and the center. As LED v2.0 driven light source it names HLD LED system they also have a blue LED phosphor driven modul which generate the green light. But the HLD system need no phosphor wheel.

Name:	HLD.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	2449850

Name:	HLD LED.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	2449852

The LH200 have 2000lm, calibrated I got 1500lm.

Name:	WEB001.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	529.6 KB
ID:	2449848

Bladerunner 2049 with the LH200 @189"

Name:	189.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	334.1 KB
ID:	2449856

P.P.S

my 12 year old backup Mitsu HC3100 have a motorized IRIS - in 2018 it must be possible to integrate a small metal plate with a motor and a intelligent light sensor to steering this system.

Name:	HC3100.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	2449858

BR, Ron

Last edited by RoNNy379CH; 09-02-2018 at 01:04 AM.
post #14 of 27 Old 09-02-2018, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1558 Post(s)
Liked: 1149
Obviously there are certain advantages to delivering a unique projector to the market, but there are obvious budgetary questions and features specifications which are going to matter a great deal.

AAXA I think has quite a bit in this specific market which is worth pouring over.

In my mind, I see two completely separate products.

1. A cut down model with HDMI input, a basic speaker, audio out (and/or solid bluetooth), and the potential to use/get a battery. Lag times need to be reasonable. 50ms at worst, or a game mode with much faster processing.

2. A better model with built in Android TV functionality with FAST processor, memory card/usb input, built in media player, network connectivity, an included rechargeable battery pack, along with the above features.

I like the idea of using a USB charging unit with them, but recognize that this may not be possible from most standard USB chargers with the power a Pico projector actually consumes.

Certainly pumping out lumens should be a major goal and 100 lumens may seem ideal, but at a recommendation of 15 lumens per square foot of screen space in a completely blackened room, it works out to a screen that is smaller than 60" diagonal. Obviously, people can go larger, but they will lose a lot of 'pop' from the image. In a world where calibrated real world lumens from standard projectors runs 1,200+ lumens for full 1080p from $500, it's a tough call as to what that portability is worth and how much value there is to a setup that may be accomplished in a fully lit room from a standard 17" laptop.

I generally talk against these type of Pico models because they amount to little more than toys. I think that 300 real world lumens is much more of a ideal minimum as it will deliver a 100" diagonal in a dark room with solid results. This is the problem, if not the typical lie of Pico manufacturers quite often to claim a quality image that far exceeds industry specifications and real world light output of the model they deliver. Especially on battery power which can run much lower brightness than plugged in power.

I've often wanted to get a Pico projector, but I have held out because the feature set has just missed what I have wanted or the price was the same as a standard model with better specifications.

Be aware that while not as small as what you are talking about, these models hit a lot of the points I'm discussing...
http://aaxatech.com/products/P300neo...projector.html
and they aren't alone in their design and product deliverance. 720p, 400 lumens, solid state light source, battery, super portable, under 1lb., etc.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #15 of 27 Old 09-03-2018, 02:24 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 292
I'm dying to see a teardown from Karl Guttag of the next gen Microvision 1440p 120hz tech, once it becomes available in a real product.

Also none of the press releases mention lumens but I expect it will be better than the last gen.
post #16 of 27 Old 11-16-2018, 11:13 PM

I wonder how this is going?
descalabro likes this.

Xbox One S, LG SH4
post #17 of 27 Old 11-27-2018, 08:46 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleAxeVR View Post
I'm dying to see a teardown from Karl Guttag of the next gen Microvision 1440p 120hz tech, once it becomes available in a real product.

Also none of the press releases mention lumens but I expect it will be better than the last gen.
Yeah, this is something that I've been following. Karl doesn't seem like the kind of guy who likes to admit when he is wrong. He was been pretty vocal about his dislike for the "25 year startup" that is MicroVision/LBS. In his defense, the company is desperately in need of a hit product, and has had that issue for many years now, always looking to be the next big thing. 1440p @ 120Hz at such a small footprint could very well finally be their big break... and yes, I am aware of another company's recent patents tying into certain mixed reality applications.

Last edited by GordoSan; 11-27-2018 at 09:14 PM.
post #18 of 27 Old 11-27-2018, 09:39 PM

I've read some of his posts recently that gave me the distinct impression that he is somewhat of a quack, or at least, has a chip on his shoulder. Still, I would always take a look at what he says just to get that minority opinion free of marketing propaganda.

120hz is where it's at, it's so much better than 60hz, even though 60hz in a raster scan is far superior to 60hz full persistence, in terms of motion. I have tried several laser scanning projectors and they all have awesome motion characteristics.
post #19 of 27 Old 11-28-2018, 01:38 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
AFAIK, the usual, Karl vs. "Pie-in-the-sky stuff not shipping in any kind of large volume despite forecasts" track record seems pretty impeccable so far

-in his favor ( & this is why he used to refer to the iphone, and pretexts about his assumed motives end up ridiculous.. ).

Last edited by gain3; 11-28-2018 at 01:43 AM.
post #20 of 27 Old 11-28-2018, 04:31 AM - Thread Starter

I didn't realise this thread had continued to bubble along, I'll make a more comprehensive post later, but in short, things are going very well. We are optimistic about crowdfunding this device in Feb/Mar of 2019.

We actually have an unexpected problem, we weren't going to patent, but the improvements we've made probably warrant patenting, so that required an extra delay / funding / strategy and most importantly, avoiding disclosure (can't patent if you tell everyone about it). We've been making notes about the journey we've been on, which I'm excited to share here and get feedback once we've got a provisional patent in place.

With Karl, I've reached out to him and although he is understandably skeptical of Microvision and LBS scanners, he will be the first person I send our demo unit to as soon as I consider it 'Karl proof'. After all, his criticisms are pretty much what we've been addressing. I predict a Karl post along the lines of "A New Hope, or at least a glimmer for LBS".
BattleAxeVR likes this.
post #21 of 27 Old 11-28-2018, 08:52 AM

any actual initial specs on what your working on?

Xbox One S, LG SH4
post #22 of 27 Old 11-28-2018, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Sure, we have achieved the highest resolution an LBS scanner has to date (proper 720p), we are exploring higher resolutions (including up to Microvisions 1440p). We're aiming for 1080p / 144Hz / 150 lumens. The largest problem to tackle has been speckle, because not only does it look bad, it measurably decreases the resolution, and gets worse the brighter you make the projector. We think we might be on to a novel way to solve it, and although harder to quantify, might be the most Karl pleasing feature of all.

When you take away the speckle / resolution / banding problems of LBS projectors, what you have are the smallest, lightest, most colorful, most power efficient, perfect blacks, highest dynamic range, HDR capable projectors with the smoothest appearing motion. It is just that solving those 3 problems is not easy, and hasn't been worked on by that many people. We're thinking outside the box.
BattleAxeVR likes this.
post #23 of 27 Old 11-28-2018, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleAxeVR View Post
I've read some of his posts recently that gave me the distinct impression that he is somewhat of a quack, or at least, has a chip on his shoulder. Still, I would always take a look at what he says just to get that minority opinion free of marketing propaganda.

120hz is where it's at, it's so much better than 60hz, even though 60hz in a raster scan is far superior to 60hz full persistence, in terms of motion. I have tried several laser scanning projectors and they all have awesome motion characteristics.
He is in and out of the industry, and I do believe that he absolutely knows a thing or two about displays. I think the chip on the shoulder opinion is definitely correct, though. Also, I hear that he has been a paid consultant for certain technologies. Anyway, I do find value in his opinion but I take them with a grain of salt.. Whereas, he is just plain salty.

Question: Have you tried any 60 fps content at 60Hz on a raster scanning projector? I'm asking because I've read about distortion characteristics when objects move as fast or faster than the scan can complete it's downward path.

Last edited by GordoSan; 11-28-2018 at 10:55 PM.
post #24 of 27 Old 11-28-2018, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Sure, we have achieved the highest resolution an LBS scanner has to date (proper 720p), we are exploring higher resolutions (including up to Microvisions 1440p). We're aiming for 1080p / 144Hz / 150 lumens. The largest problem to tackle has been speckle, because not only does it look bad, it measurably decreases the resolution, and gets worse the brighter you make the projector. We think we might be on to a novel way to solve it, and although harder to quantify, might be the most Karl pleasing feature of all.

When you take away the speckle / resolution / banding problems of LBS projectors, what you have are the smallest, lightest, most colorful, most power efficient, perfect blacks, highest dynamic range, HDR capable projectors with the smoothest appearing motion. It is just that solving those 3 problems is not easy, and hasn't been worked on by that many people. We're thinking outside the box.
Thank you for your honest opinion about the positive/negative aspects of the rendering method. I have been really intrigued by the tiny LBS mirror. I would also like to ask you (as I have already asked BattleAxeVR) if you have tried any native Hz content at the same native Hz display refresh rate at all, and if you have noticed any distortion in objects or even possibly disappearing objects. Thanks.
post #25 of 27 Old 11-29-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordoSan View Post
He is in and out of the industry, and I do believe that he absolutely knows a thing or two about displays. I think the chip on the shoulder opinion is definitely correct, though. Also, I hear that he has been a paid consultant for certain technologies. Anyway, I do find value in his opinion but I take them with a grain of salt.. Whereas, he is just plain salty.

Question: Have you tried any 60 fps content at 60Hz on a raster scanning projector? I'm asking because I've read about distortion characteristics when objects move as fast or faster than the scan can complete it's downward path.
I've played many perfect 60 fps at 60hz games on my sample laser projector, and it rocks. I have zero complaints in terms of motion. CRT skew can be solved, too (stay tuned!)

But as Bailey mentions, and as I've written in my review of the Sony Pico model (which I briefly owned and then returned due to excessive banding), other aspects are more pressing, even IMO more than resolution. Like I said, banding is one. Speckle is another.

Resolution is indeed very important, but unless you have the lumens to make a super large screen, there's IMO other low-hanging fruit that should reap higher dividends.

I'm perfectly satisfied with my w1070's 1080p native resolution at 140 inch diagonal size.

At 80 inches or less, I think 720p is probably fine, especially when so much of what we watch is ultra-low-FPS 24p blur-fest anyway, which, even if you interpolate it to 60 or 120hz, would still be pretty blurry.

Removing blur that's baked into the content is an ill-posed, quote "hard" problem.

Reinforcement learning that hallucinates detail from many prior frames could be a win there.

De-blurring a frame priot to interpolating it (so that it's both smoother and sharper) is a similar, but harder, problem to 4K or 8K upscaling, and machine learning is kicking ass on the new 8K TVs apparently. The future really is bright for high res, but it's also very bright for high motion res, too. And IMO motion res is where both content and displays are lacking the most in, so to me represent the low-hanging fruit. Raster-scanned laser projectors are a natural fit to replace CRTs as the new King of motion resolution. The old king is dead, long live the new king! These little guys are really exciting and fun, even if they aren't capable of replacing your main display (yet).

With full-persistence displays, which virtually all traditional DLP or LCD or LCoS projectors are, since otherwise they'd be throwing away lumens to reduce blur, you're better off simply reaching for 120hz and using interpolation if you're concerned about motion res, then you get full lumens and good clarity with even reasonably fast motion vectors.

Black frame insertion is only a good idea on a projector if you're already so overwhelmed by lumens (say, a fresh bulb), that you would use an ND2 filter and can afford to throw away half the light. In this case, yes, use BFI and double your motion resolution (or halve the persistence / blur, same thing).

I desperately want a decent-performing 1080p 120hz DLP, but I think these little guys are going to fill a market niche for enthusiasts like AVS forum members and gamers, who appreciate the importance of good motion clarity (with or without frame interpolation), great contrast (despite comparatively lower lumens, vs a TV or even other LED pico projectors).

Last edited by BattleAxeVR; 11-29-2018 at 01:17 PM.
post #26 of 27 Old 11-29-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
With Karl, I've reached out to him and although he is understandably skeptical of Microvision and LBS scanners, he will be the first person I send our demo unit to as soon as I consider it 'Karl proof'. After all, his criticisms are pretty much what we've been addressing. I predict a Karl post along the lines of "A New Hope, or at least a glimmer for LBS".
Good one.

Like Lincoln did when picking his cabinet, fill it with your detractors to neutralize them! No better way to earn respect than to turn a critic into a fan, by earning it. I do think most of his criticisms are valid, from what I remember, but the soundness of raster-scan in principle is sound and I don't need his say-so.

CRTs rock and proved how good the raster scanning algorithm is for motion. Maybe most don't understand why: because only one pixel is visible at a time, per frame, your brain interpolates the missing information as if these point samples are part of a curve over time, in other words, motion isn't a step function as it is in full-persistence displays.

I think the speckle issue can be mitigated, if not outright solved, too. But that's probably the most difficult technical challenge, after boosting the lumens, of course.

The one thing that CRTs have over these laser scanners is resolution, max refresh rate, and bandwidth. That's because it's easy to deflect an electron beam quickly and with a large deflection angle than it is a laser beam, using a physical mirror which has inertia. Fundamentally, once laser scanning projectors get a non-mechanical beam deflector in them, the sky's the limit in terms of resolution, refresh rate, gamut, contrast, focus, input lag.
post #27 of 27 Old 11-30-2018, 12:51 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
If the image has to be squeezed into a framebuffer first and predistorted to resemble a raster scan, then its still no rectilinear scanning but sinusoidal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page