18'-20' Throw outside over pool - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 08-18-2018, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
18'-20' Throw outside over pool

I am trying to setup an outdoor theater to watch movies/sports at night. The throw will be 18' to 20' over our pool and I was looking at a 14' tall blow up screen. It's 96" wide and 58" wide. I don't want to spend a fortune on the projector but at the same time I'm willing to spend what I have to to make this work. I'm looking for suggestions on options? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-18-2018, 11:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 1366 Post(s)
Liked: 702
That's a 110" diag (96" x 52" 16:9) screen in close to 16:10 format. The Epson 1450 should work, is the least expensive long throw that I could find and can be up 20' lens to screen. It also has the advantage of being a light cannon and 16:10 format. If used or refurbished is in the cards the old Epson 5010/20/30 and many others will also work. You will need to find a way to protect the projector from splashing as I wouldn't put one any where near my pool.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #3 of 12 Old 08-19-2018, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Some suggestions for excellent used projector models that are very affordable nowadays:

InFocus In5110 - LCD
Hitachi WUX645N - LCD
Panasonic PT-DZ570 - DLP, sealed light engine
Epson PowerLite Pro G5450WUNL - LCD, has to be used with the right lens

Tips for buying used:
- Make sure the seller has at least some decent pictures of it and especially some pictures of the projection. Nearly 90% of the sellers do not post pictures of the projected image, and many only show images of the menu projected over a curtain, or a piece of grainy wall or some other surface useless for projection. It would be ideal if you could see the projector for yourself before buying it. Ask the seller to project a completely white image at a colour temperature of 5500k; existing colour imperfections will show up. Then ask him to project over a test grid image to see if the focus is uniform.

- Make sure the seller tells you the TOTAL running time of the projector. On Epson projectors, you can find that by pressing 'menu' for 8 seconds, then 'esc' twice, then right then left arrows. Anything bellow 3000h should be ok. I've bought 3 such projectors and none was above that runtime; many people don't use their projectors that much.

- Check for loud noises.

- Many sellers will lie about resolution specs. Use this site for reference: https://www.projectorcentral.com/InFocus-IN5110.htm

4,3 x 2,8m semi-blacked out media room | 2010 MacMini > Pioneer VSX-520-K > JVC RS50 (X7) > 107", 1.1 gain, white screen | JVC X30 (RS45)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 08-19-2018, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 165 Post(s)
Quoted: 4440 Post(s)
Liked: 3962
It sounds as if the screen is 16:9 aspect ratio with a diagonal of ~110". Very few projectors can throw as small as a 110" image from as far away as 18'-20'. There are many more options that can throw that size image from much closer to the screen if you are open to reconsidering your setup. There are several older threads where others have wanted to do something similar with a longer throw across a swimming pool to a smaller screen. After looking at the few available options they ended up changing their setups.

For example, one option is to have the projector and screen on the same side of the pool. The most commonly recommended outdoor projector <$1,000 on this forum is the Epson Home Cinema 1060. It's small, bright and relatively inexpensive. Its zoom range allows it to throw a 110" image from a range of 8' 2" to 9' 10" lens to screen. Some who have needed the projector to be even closer to the screen have favored the Optoma GT1080Darbee. It would need to be exactly 3' 11" from a 110" screen as it doesn't have a zoom lens.
post #5 of 12 Old 08-19-2018, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Why wouldn't something like then ViewSonic PA503X work? The specs seem to show that from 20' I would be just a bit larger then what the screen was - I could probably squeeze down to 17' and almost make that work?

Thanks for the advise above!
post #6 of 12 Old 08-19-2018, 06:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The ViewSonic PA503X is a lower resolution (1,024x768 pixel or XGA) business projector. It will work in the sense that it will throw up a video image. It just won't be in the same high definition in which sports and movies are broadcast and the image won't have the best colors. Most of the projectors that can throw smaller images from longer distances are either business models not optimized for home video or larger, more expensive home theater models that typically aren't used outside. If you have no previous experience with video projectors there are many fine details that need to be understood to get the right projector to meet your expectations.
post #7 of 12 Old 08-19-2018, 06:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked: 764
I don't know about your projector question, but I will caution against going with a blow up screen.
The noise of the blower can be quite intrusive. Granted, my experience is with a large 16' X 9' inflatable, but even the noise from my much smaller inflatable Christmas decorations would drive me crazy during a movie.
Look at a collapsible tube frame screen instead. Just my 2 cents.
Good luck with your project. My wife and I truly enjoy the outdoor home movie experience. Throw in a swimming pool and you can't loose.
post #8 of 12 Old 08-20-2018, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@DavidK442 , perhaps a little more detailed description of your setup could help the OP. Details such as any experience with projector model, screen size, throw distance and distance across your pool would be helpful. For example, if the throw distance is barely longer than the distance across the pool both the projector and screen would be close to the pool and subject to being splashed with water, which could easily cause damage. There are many things to consider about projecting outside over a swimming pool that might not occur to someone with no previous video projection experience.
post #9 of 12 Old 08-20-2018, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
@DavidK442 , perhaps a little more detailed description of your setup could help the OP. Details such as any experience with projector model, screen size, throw distance and distance across your pool would be helpful. For example, if the throw distance is barely longer than the distance across the pool both the projector and screen would be close to the pool and subject to being splashed with water, which could easily cause damage. There are many things to consider about projecting outside over a swimming pool that might not occur to someone with no previous video projection experience.
The screen I wasn't worried as much about damaging as much since we have a chemical free pool but the projector I was. The pool is 12' wide so I thought two feet on one side for the screen then 3-6' on the other for the projector.

I am also considering the Visualapex 120HD2 screen - will take an extra 5-10minutes to install and take down but no fan with excess noise that way.

Since this is just something fun and extra I didn't want to spend more then $1,000 on the projector, really wanted to keep it closer to $500.

Thanks again,
Michael
post #10 of 12 Old 08-20-2018, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@butwhyowhy , you are the one who knows how far water can splash out of your pool so it's up to you to figure a safe distance as water getting into a projector is a very bad thing. Once you determine the exact (not approximate) distance from the lens to the screen that you're comfortable with placing the projector and the exact size of the screen (diagonal in inches) those parameters can be entered into the projector database and you can get a reading on what projectors available <$1,000 are capable of throwing that size image from that distance.

Just looking through the projector database I did find one high definition (1,280x800 pixel or WXGA) business projector <$1,000 with a fairly long throw. This would at least give you definition comparable to cable TV. If you are willing to go with a 120" diagonal 16:9 aspect ratio screen this projector could work from as far as 20' 6" from lens to screen (or 18' 10" from a 110" screen). It's also very bright at 4,500 rated lumens. The specific projector model is the Optoma W416. I can't find any reviews on it but Optoma is generally considered among the better brands. It could certainly serve as an economical outdoor projector where a longer throw is a priority.

optoma.com/us/product/w416/
post #11 of 12 Old 08-20-2018, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! What's the link to the database you mentioned? I only found a tool that lets me plug in a specific projector to gets its throw but not one that I can say what specs I need.
post #12 of 12 Old 08-20-2018, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Below is a link to projectorcentral.com's projector database. There's a learning curve as it requires close attention to all the parameters you enter. There are some nuances about projectors that aren't obvious to those with little experience:

projectorcentral.com/projectors.cfm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
pool , projector , throw

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page