New Optoma 1080p HDR10 0.65 projector: HD27HDR - Page 11 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 64Likes

post #301 of 418 Old 03-27-2019, 03:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleAxeVR View Post
There's also the Acer G550 coming out soon, with an RGBRGB colour wheel and 1080p DC3 chip, which does, but it doesn't accept nor decode HDR signals (although who knows, that could be added via firmware update, possibly).
The official spec sheet says HDR & Rec. 2020 compatible and HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2 support. My Acer Nitro G550 order is arriving tomorrow, although I'm quite busy currently (probably early next week I can test it). Will pair it with a Xbox One S to test UHD Blu-ray playback and HDR to SDR Tone Mapping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 418 Old 03-28-2019, 08:27 AM

As a follow-up, my Acer Nitro G550 just arrived, so here are some pictures confirming both UHD HDR/Rec. 2020 decoding and 1080p 120 Hz Input with 8.3ms input lag:

I wonder why the G550/V6520 are only coming out now when the manufacturing date is from the very beginning of this year
post #303 of 418 Old 03-28-2019, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiidesire View Post
As a follow-up, my Acer Nitro G550 just arrived, so here are some pictures confirming both UHD HDR/Rec. 2020 decoding and 1080p 120 Hz Input with 8.3ms input lag:

I wonder why the G550/V6520 are only coming out now when the manufacturing date is from the very beginning of this year
I thought the "HDR Compatible" sounded fishy. I found an article that says: (can't post url)

"You should potentially beware of TVs labelled as "HDR compatible". It often means they accept the HDR signal - but they can't display it properly"

"Don't buy an HDR-compatible or HDR-ready television thinking that you'll be getting HDR performance. You probably won't."

I was hoping to see an actual HDR 10 on the box. Other than that, the acer looks like the current winner IMHO. I like that it has other inputs like VGA and composite. I use a VGA to component adapter for my cable box because the screen blackout every time I change the channel literally kills me. The HD27HDR's only 2 HDMI inputs was the deal breaker.

I found a deal for a Viewsonic PX700HD on black Friday for $100 off retail and went with that because of its 16ms latency for gaming. It has everything I need and I figured it would hold me over until something better comes along or prices drop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #304 of 418 Old 03-29-2019, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanLivingMD View Post
"You should potentially beware of TVs labelled as "HDR compatible". It often means they accept the HDR signal - but they can't display it properly"
That's true for all projectors though, even the high end ones. I'm not an expert in this topic but afaik there isn't currently a projector which can display the full Rec. 2020 color space. And the brightness/nits for which HDR media is mastered for can't and can never be reached with projectors. So all you can hope for is that the projector accepts a HDR signal and then properly adjusts the picture to its own capabilities. The second part is the crucial part to get a good picture. We'll see how the G550 does HDR to SDR tone mapping.
post #305 of 418 Old 03-29-2019, 04:39 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 5
That Acer looks pretty nice! It actually looks almost exactly like the hd27hdr, but black instead of white. I suspect it’s manufactured by Optoma, or at least made at the same factory. Really curious on your Impressions of it once you put it through it’s paces! I’m jealous of the 8ms input lag - hd27hdr is supposed to get it also, but losing hope in a firmware update..
post #306 of 418 Old 03-29-2019, 06:21 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptolmy View Post
That Acer looks pretty nice! It actually looks almost exactly like the hd27hdr, but black instead of white. I suspect it’s manufactured by Optoma, or at least made at the same factory. Really curious on your Impressions of it once you put it through it’s paces! I’m jealous of the 8ms input lag - hd27hdr is supposed to get it also, but losing hope in a firmware update..
I haven't measured it yet but I'm fairly certain my HD27HDR runs 8ms at 120hz. That's what it feels like. It's like night and day going from 30ms+ tv to 16ms 60hz projector to 8ms 120hz projector. Apex Lengends looks good even on the PS4 at 60hz. Perhaps you could ship the projector to Optoma to get the firmware. I was hoping they'd have it available for download but I guess not
post #307 of 418 Old 03-29-2019, 04:19 PM

I think the newer ones have the updated firmware installed. Early adopter syndrome! I only bought it because this thread was mentioning that the new firmware was right around the corner... Pretty happy with it other than that.
I am having some issues lately though where the projector can’t seem to ‘lock’ on the resolution I’m running. It will spin and show ‘searching’ on the screen for 10 seconds or so, will display my desktop properly for 1 second and then go back to ‘searching’ again. This sometimes happens multiple times; yesterday I seen it happen around 10 times in succession. Finally it locked and stayed, we’ll see how that goes.. Anybody else seen that?
post #308 of 418 Old 03-29-2019, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ya, mine did that a few times when trying to bring up my desktop. I'm going to send it back though, it's got to annoying of a hum.
post #309 of 418 Old 03-31-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
That's true for all projectors though, even the high end ones. I'm not an expert in this topic but afaik there isn't currently a projector which can display the full Rec. 2020 color space. And the brightness/nits for which HDR media is mastered for can't and can never be reached with projectors. So all you can hope for is that the projector accepts a HDR signal and then properly adjusts the picture to its own capabilities. The second part is the crucial part to get a good picture. We'll see how the G550 does HDR to SDR tone mapping.
Yeah, I'm hoping for that to be true. I'm worried that the projector will accept the signal but be unable to provide much or any noticeable difference. If it gets good reviews, this may be my next projector. Where do you live? I can't find any information about the G550 coming to the States.

The biggest flaw of the PX700HD is that gaming mode disables any screen shifts or zooming. My screen is 110" and the smallest I can get the image is 126" because of where it's mounted. It's not an issue when watching TV or movies because then I don't care about latency. Can anyone tell me if the HD27HDR or Acer G550 does the same thing in gaming mode?
post #310 of 418 Old 03-31-2019, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So while I really like the picture quality, the buzzing was something I think will bother me enough that I didn't want to keep it. I asked my wife, and she said it wasn't bad, but then said she had no idea hwo I could stand it for several hours, one hour was enough for her to be bothered by it. I've had an HD70 for years, and never saw the RBE unless I flashed fingers in front of my eyes rapidly. It was a non-issue. In the HD27HDR I saw them fairly regularly, enough to be distracting, particularity in high contrast scenes. So that was another reason sent it back.

I would have preferred this machine to work out for me, but these 2 things really made me reconsider. so I'll be trying the Benq 2050a. Unfortunately I'll have to move my mount forward again for it! Also not stoked on the price of bulbs for it.
post #311 of 418 Old 04-01-2019, 12:03 AM

Quote:
If it gets good reviews, this may be my next projector. Where do you live? I can't find any information about the G550 coming to the States.
I'm living in Europe/Germany, where it is available in multiple shops:
https://geizhals.eu/acer-nitro-g550-...-a1981754.html

I got mine via Media Markt for an awesome price. With a couble of rebates (10% Club discount, 2,5% Payback, 0,5% American Express Cashback) I was able to get it for 596,06€.
Will start testing it today.
post #312 of 418 Old 04-01-2019, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Anxious to hear your findings!
post #313 of 418 Old 04-01-2019, 12:35 PM

Alright, here are some short impressions of the G550:

• Low Input Lag mode disables keystone adjustments, rendering it entirely useless for me
  • UHD resolution automatically recognized by both Amazon Fire TV 4k Stick and Xbox One S
  • Tested The Revenant and E.T. UHD Blu-ray playback via Xbox One S - both HDR & HDCP 2.2 is fully working/compliant
  • Color profile "Rec. 709" looks the best to me, HDR to SDR tone mapping works good on first impression, colors aren't washed out
  • Unfortunately there seems to be small pecks of dust stuck somewhere (inside of lens?) causing a pretty noticable bright spot in the middle of the picture (especially noticable if picture is black)

For reference my previous projector is a 720p one (H5360BD) and besides going to the cinema I haven't seen any high quality projectors, so I can't reliably judge the picture quality. I definitely noticed the increased resolution.
Since I don't know much about projectors, any way to get rid of that bright spot? Maybe I should post a picture so it's clearer what I mean?
post #314 of 418 Old 04-02-2019, 06:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fuzz View Post
I would have preferred this machine to work out for me, but these 2 things really made me reconsider. so I'll be trying the Benq 2050a. Unfortunately I'll have to move my mount forward again for it! Also not stoked on the price of bulbs for it.
Thanks for the update.

So much media, so little time...

Oppo BDP-83 > Emotiva UMC-200 > Audio Alchemy OM-150 Dual Mono > Gallo Reference 3.5
_____________________________ > Audio Alchemy OM-150 > Gallo Strada 
post #315 of 418 Old 04-02-2019, 09:01 AM

Quote:

Low Input Lag mode disables keystone adjustments, rendering it entirely useless for me
This is the same problem I have with my PX700HD. I'd imagine that it also affects screen positioning and digital zoom. Can you test that for me?

Does anyone know if this is the case for the HD27HDR or the HT2050a?

Thanks for letting us know your impressions and please keep us updated.
post #316 of 418 Old 04-02-2019, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:

Low Input Lag mode disables keystone adjustments, rendering it entirely useless for me
This is the same problem I have with my PX700HD. I'd imagine that it also affects screen positioning and digital zoom. Can you test that for me?

Does anyone know if this is the case for the HD27HDR or the HT2050a?

Thanks for letting us know your impressions and please keep us updated.

The same happens with the Optoma HD27HDR 😞
post #317 of 418 Old 04-02-2019, 02:58 PM

Quote:
I'd imagine that it also affects screen positioning and digital zoom. Can you test that for me?
Sure, will get back to you on this.

I've looked up dust speck examples online and I'm pretty sure this isn't the issue my G550 has (varying focus doesn't change the spot).
Any expert here who knows what could cause this bright spot? Camera makes it more visible than it is in real life but I'm considering to get it exchanged.
post #318 of 418 Old 04-02-2019, 04:01 PM

Yeah, thats an exchange, I dont see anyway to fix that.
post #319 of 418 Old 04-03-2019, 03:04 AM

Thanks, I've now sent it back and am awaiting replacement.

Do you have a guess from what the bright spot is caused? A smudge on the DLP-chip? I've checked the (replacable/user accessible) lamp and it was clean.
post #320 of 418 Old 04-12-2019, 04:17 PM

How is your replacement? Has anyone got the updated firmware that was supposed to be out weeks ago?
post #321 of 418 Old 04-12-2019, 05:24 PM

No new firmware yet.. it’s like a couple months late now! I tried messaging Tuan but no response. Also tried Optoma support but they had no info about any new firmware coming out for it...
I find it strange that if the 8ms input lag is active on the latest shipping units with the new firmware. Why don’t they update their marketing materials with it? 120hz with 8 ms input lag is the reason I bought it and I’m pretty certain that this is super important to other buyers as well? You would think that they would be touting this as one of the top selling points, but for some reason they’re not.. So I’m guessing there’s something we don’t know about it.
Here’s a good conspiracy theory for ya; If Optoma is indeed the manufacturer of the Acer G550. Maybe they agreed to allow Acer be the first to market with their ‘super gaming projector’ and the 8ms lag. Optoma has it ready on their own projectors but aren’t pushing it until the G550 has it’s full market roll-out? Ok I’ll put away my tinfoil hat now
post #322 of 418 Old 04-12-2019, 05:42 PM

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Send a message via Skype™ to Tuan
Just posted the new firmware. Sorry guys. You can find it under our downloads section

https://www.optoma.com/us/product/hd27hdr/

Changes
  • Changes: Add 120Hz support with 8.4ms input lag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptolmy View Post
No new firmware yet.. it’s like a couple months late now! I tried messaging Tuan but no response. Also tried Optoma support but they had no info about any new firmware coming out for it...
I find it strange that if the 8ms input lag is active on the latest shipping units with the new firmware. Why don’t they update their marketing materials with it? 120hz with 8 ms input lag is the reason I bought it and I’m pretty certain that this is super important to other buyers as well? You would think that they would be touting this as one of the top selling points, but for some reason they’re not.. So I’m guessing there’s something we don’t know about it.
Here’s a good conspiracy theory for ya; If Optoma is indeed the manufacturer of the Acer G550. Maybe they agreed to allow Acer be the first to market with their ‘super gaming projector’ and the 8ms lag. Optoma has it ready on their own projectors but aren’t pushing it until the G550 has it’s full market roll-out? Ok I’ll put away my tinfoil hat now
There's no conspiracy - I held off updating materials until we were able to post a user-updateable firmware, which took longer than I expected.
post #323 of 418 Old 04-12-2019, 08:13 PM

Does this update to c03 and m04?
post #324 of 418 Old 04-13-2019, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagameballa View Post
How is your replacement?
Got it two days ago. Wrote about it here (translated from german to english):
https://translate.google.com/transla...Fpost-22531448

tl;dr replacement is fine, 1080p 120Hz Input on Xbox One S works but because of limited FPS in games no benefit (actually opposite since likely because of missing V-Sync tearing appears). Input Lag is very good (coming from someone who can only game on high frequency low input lag + pixel response time displays, have 1440p 144Hz Freesync for my PC) even without the Low Input Lag mode enabled in order to still have keystone adjustments. On both units noticable hissing in 120Hz mode, on 60Hz not really detectable. Thankfully it's neither a very high frequency tone nor something like pulsating buzzing.

Here are some pictures (last three are from the defect one, you can see the illuminated area in the middle of the picture):
https://imgur.com/a/aI3kslc
post #325 of 418 Old 04-13-2019, 07:18 AM

That’s great news! Thanks Tuan!
I’ll install it and report back later - super pumped!
post #326 of 418 Old 04-13-2019, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Can the latest firmware do 1080p, 120 Hz, 4:4:4, 8ms game mode, and 10-bit HDR all simultaneously? I'm going to go ahead and order one if that is the case. Looks like a great deal for the price

Also are any brightness settings limited in 120 Hz 8ms game mode? This thing is a relatively pretty bright projector right? I'd be putting in a light-controlled room that can be significantly dimmed during the day, but it isn't dark or pitch black until the evening

Last edited by olqxqipz; 04-13-2019 at 01:42 PM.
post #327 of 418 Old 04-13-2019, 05:49 PM

Ok I did the firmware and all good!
Ver: c03. Process was pretty straightforward, just follow the instructions. Had a scary moment though when I mistakenly plugged into HDMI 2 port instead of HDMI 1 and the pj couldn’t find the source after the update! I didn’t realize also, if there’s no source, there’s no image settings available in the menu! So I though that I was screwed until I found my glasses and seen I was in the wrong port - doh!
So to confirm yes, 1080p, 120 hz with 8ms input lag, and hdr are all running at the same time! Using the image settings in the review mentioned a few posts above and everything is looking pretty amazing running through my pc. SDR is amazing, and HDR in the only game I tried; Battlefield5, is just incredible. I haven’t been able to try it much after the update - somehow now that I have this projector my girlfriend has turned into a gamer.. It’s cool and all but now she’s hogging the thing! But the little I tried was super smooth and responsive. Before at 120hz without enhanced gaming, it felt like your feet were stuck in mud when you were changing directions when running and you could feel the delay when shooting. Now it’s nice and crisp!
One weird thing that’s happening for the last week or so (nothing to do with the new firmware). The projector used to switch to hdr mode automatically when starting battlefield, but now it’s not going into hdr mode? I have to switch the game to hdr-off, exit the game, restart it and then switch back to hdr mode in the game for the projector to go into Hdr mode properly.. Is there a way to force the projector into hdr mode when in the game? I tried to re-sync while in the game, but it wouldn’t kick in? Is there another way?
post #328 of 418 Old 04-14-2019, 06:34 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
How does this compare to Viewsonic Px727-4k or Px747-4k?
post #329 of 418 Old 04-14-2019, 12:28 PM

Yes. There's several bugs in this new fw I'm finding out more and more everyday. This pj used to sync really well on the old firmware. Now it's awful. No auto hdr, 3d mode will turn itself on and off on it's own. There is a bunch of bugs in this newer fw.
post #330 of 418 Old 04-14-2019, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagameballa View Post
Yes. There's several bugs in this new fw I'm finding out more and more everyday. This pj used to sync really well on the old firmware. Now it's awful. No auto hdr, 3d mode will turn itself on and off on it's own. There is a bunch of bugs in this newer fw.
damn it, I was hoping to update the firmware today, should I hold off? I am very new to the projector game and have few questions.

1. Projector never switched to HDR mode even after specifically playing HRD content. I am using very old HDMI cable I had lying around and I think this is the issue but ordered Amazon basic's HDM2.0 compatible cable, I hope this will solve the HDR issue.

2. Projector is connected to Shield and with the HDMI Link settings on, I noticed few times the projector power light started blinking violet (mix of red and blue) when I used Shield to power off both projector and shield. I have since then turned off the CES from Shield and haven't noticed this yet but wanted to check if anyone else has observed this behavior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page