New Optoma 1080p HDR10 0.65 projector: HD27HDR - Page 15 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 73Likes

post #421 of 443 Old 07-17-2019, 11:48 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedviper View Post
Have following queries........

1) Has anyone tried 4k, 2160p, HDR movies on the projector? I am not able to watch........

2) Want to purchase extra lamp for this projector, check at amazon, but not available.... where will I get?
As it's been discussed before (just a few posts above), this model can accept a 4K HDR10 signal, which it will convert to 1080p SDR.

The part number of the lamp is: BL-FU200E.
Not sure what trustworthy suppliers are in the US. Contact Optoma to find out.
jedviper likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 443 Old 07-18-2019, 01:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
As it's been discussed before (just a few posts above), this model can accept a 4K HDR10 signal, which it will convert to 1080p SDR.

I know that, but I am not able to play 2160p movie on it... Is there any more device require for it?
post #423 of 443 Old 07-18-2019, 01:48 AM

Quote:
I know that, but I am not able to play 2160p movie on it... Is there any more device require for it?
What is the setup, how is it not being played?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #424 of 443 Old 07-18-2019, 01:53 AM

Quote:
What is the setup, how is it not being played?

Denon AVR, WD media player, WD External HDD, Blue Riggter 15ft HDMI Cable......
post #425 of 443 Old 07-18-2019, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Denon AVR, WD media player, WD External HDD, Blue Riggter 15ft HDMI Cable......
I use an HTPC, not familiar with that kind of setup.

They would want to know more details, are you getting an image, what disc, a message?
post #426 of 443 Old 07-19-2019, 11:14 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptolmy View Post
Well I finally picked up this pj also and you’re pretty much bang on Defiance.
I’m not blown away by the image, but I’m getting closer the more that I play with it.. Where it shines is the gaming; Battlefield V on my pc running at 1080 120hz is pretty much amazing! Had a lot of weirdness also with hdr in windows, but hdr in game is fantastic! Weird also that I can’t put it in ‘game’ mode when it’s running at 120hz (it’s grayed out) But the input lag feels low anyway..?
The whining is there on mine, but doesn’t bother me- it’s louder for the first minute then subsides a bit. Hope your new one is better Defiance!
Can’t do hdr Netflix in windows, found out that you need a 1050gtx or newer if running nvidia, guess my 980 doesn’t cut it.. But hdr works really nicely on my shield, I wanted to run everything through my pc, but looks like no luck.. Now I have to figure out how to run my pc and the shield to the pj. I have an old amp - no hdmi’s at all.. don’t want to go topic but does anybody have any recommendations for a decent amp that has HDMI 2.0 passthrough for around 200$?
All in all I’m pretty happy with this, you can’t beat how awesome it is for gaming - but it does require fiddling to make it shine.
i was under the impression that no projector can actually project 120hz? am i wrong? or maybe they can for a 3d mode? can you let me know which model you have if it does output 120hz. i would be interested in doing more research on it.

i have gamed on 120hz TVs and love it. my gaming monitor is ultra wide 144hz. so if there is a projector that outputs 120hz from a gaming PC, i need to know!!!
Bahn Yuki likes this.
post #427 of 443 Old 07-20-2019, 06:37 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosriosness View Post
i was under the impression that no projector can actually project 120hz? am i wrong? or maybe they can for a 3d mode? can you let me know which model you have if it does output 120hz. i would be interested in doing more research on it.

i have gamed on 120hz TVs and love it. my gaming monitor is ultra wide 144hz. so if there is a projector that outputs 120hz from a gaming PC, i need to know!!!
Yes it does run at 120hz with 8ms lag. Not as fast as a 144hz gaming monitor - but pretty close! It is amazing for games, right now I feel that it’s the ultimate setup for pc gaming. I’ve been playing a lot of battlefieldV on it which is great, especially with hdr mode on; it makes the colour more realistic and not so cartoony. I’m also playing an rts right now; They Are Billions. Seeing the hordes of zombies on that huge screen is just crazy! Get a lap board and a recliner and you’re all set! Sorry for sounding like a commercial but it’s that good!
Bahn Yuki likes this.
post #428 of 443 Old 07-20-2019, 07:18 PM

Quote:

They would want to know more details, are you getting an image, what disc, a message?

getting message "unable to play the selected file."
post #429 of 443 Old 07-20-2019, 11:47 PM

Quote:
You could make a separate thread detailing the setup, how many sources you've tried, etc.
There are some test files available, if they can be loaded on the player, to see what is happening:
https://samples.ffmpeg.org/4khdr/
https://kodi.wiki/view/Samples#4K_.28UltraHD.29

Can 4K youtube vidoes be played?
post #430 of 443 Old 07-23-2019, 06:11 AM

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Send a message via Skype™ to Tuan
Quote:
Quote:

I don't recall WD ever releasing a 4K compatible media player. Most likely that your player doesn't support 4K.
jedviper likes this.
post #431 of 443 Old 07-23-2019, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuan View Post
I don't recall WD ever releasing a 4K compatible media player. Most likely that your player doesn't support 4K.

Ok.... then which media player will support this projector or play 4K?
post #432 of 443 Old 07-23-2019, 08:39 AM

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Send a message via Skype™ to Tuan
Quote:
Ok.... then which media player will support this projector or play 4K?
Any media player that will play 4K - Nvidia Shield, Apple TV, Roku 4K, Amazon Fire TV / Fire TV Stick 4K, etc...
jedviper likes this.
post #433 of 443 Old 07-25-2019, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Well I'm back to comment on my failure with this projector, after returning 2 projectors for being defective, finally the third arrived without problems (supposedly) well, with only like 3 months of having it, little use, less than 50 hours of use and the projector does not turn on, tries to turn on and the lamp does not emit light, so the projector does not emit any image, looking at comments in amazon I see that more than 10 users have the same problem with this projector, which makes it clear that the projector It has factory defects, it hurts that I returned a Benq HT2050A. I do not advise anyone to buy this projector, look at the negative comments it have in amazon, many suffer the same problem, I hope optoma is responsible with its manufacturer warranty, I already opened a case and I am waiting for them to answer me, I will share my experience, if Optoma is responsible it is worth buying the optoma brand, otherwise it is better to go to the safe
post #434 of 443 Old 07-25-2019, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I hope they do honor your warranty. I do want to add that I have also seen this type of behavior with other electronics for to issues with power. I would highly suggest that everyone have their PJ and anything with a HDD on aUPS. Not just for the protection but also for the ability to properly shut down the device if power is lost.

I hope you get this resolved though. I can't imagine how my household would be if the main screen did not work for any period of time.
post #435 of 443 Old 07-27-2019, 05:57 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Oh that’s a disaster, hope they fix you up! Good tip on using the ups, I think I’ll pick one up also. Would be rough here as well if my pj went down - natives would be very angry!
post #436 of 443 Old 07-27-2019, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Apparently the projector burned the lamp, which seems absurd to me, since it did not even have 50 hours of use in the lamp, I would have to pay the shipping to optoma, plus the value of the new lamp, plus the repair and forwarding costs of the projector , I calculate more than 300 dollars in expenses, but I am afraid the projector will burn the lamp again after 3 months of use, which is the guarantee they offer in the lamp for that projector, The bad thing is that I don't even find an original lamp on the Internet, all that I have seen are false phillips copies.

Lesson learned, first and last Optoma product that I buy, but I will try my family and friends do not make the same mistake.
post #437 of 443 Old 08-09-2019, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New owner here, unit seems to work well, this is my first projector, took me a few days to make the image look good, room dictates a minimum screen size for this unit of 7.5 feet which is ridiculously huge to me, just on a crème looking wall even, in the day its good enough or better, but at night I tried those 4kmedia demo HDR ones and its mind-blowing.

Seems to work best on my Win10 PC with HDR turned on and then dropping projector brightness a lot to bring the black down, and then raising contrast a fraction of that to get the white back up. Everything just works so far. I tried division2 at 120Hz and it was intimate! Next month I'll try this new fangled 3d thing...
post #438 of 443 Old 08-09-2019, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi guys, I am really confuse with this projector, I mean a lot of people here use the word "amazing" when they use the projector in hdr mode but as someone here wrote, this projector does accept hdr but you are not getting the benefit of it because its displaying in sdr at the end of the day, right? it's like the projector is hdr "ready", am I wrong? or you do get the color pop that hdr display are capable of like the optoma hd50 or the benq ht3550, etc?
post #439 of 443 Old 08-09-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrid64 View Post
Hi guys, I am really confuse with this projector, I mean a lot of people here use the word "amazing" when they use the projector in hdr mode but as someone here wrote, this projector does accept hdr but you are not getting the benefit of it because its displaying in sdr at the end of the day, right? it's like the projector is hdr "ready", am I wrong? or you do get the color pop that hdr display are capable of like the optoma hd50 or the benq ht3550, etc?
The projector can still throw a great image with just REC.709 SDR.
post #440 of 443 Old 08-09-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
The projector can still throw a great image with just REC.709 SDR.
I agree with you here, I have actually an optoma projector HD141X and to my eyes it gives me a great picture but what I'm saying is that this projector doesnt have better color reproduction than a benq w1070 or the 2050a, right? since the benqs have a rgbrgb wheel and the optoma doesnt, if I am correct then where is the hdr advantage of it against the competion like the benqs I mention before? I am asking all of this because I want to buy it but I want to make sure I understand what optoma means when they say this is an hdr projector, thanks for your answers, I really apreciate.
post #441 of 443 Old 08-09-2019, 01:08 PM

Quote:
I agree with you here, I have actually an optoma projector HD141X and to my eyes it gives me a great picture but what I'm saying is that this projector doesnt have better color reproduction than a benq w1070 or the 2050a, right? since the benqs have a rgbrgb wheel and the optoma doesnt, if I am correct then where is the hdr advantage of it against the competion like the benqs I mention before? I am asking all of this because I want to buy it but I want to make sure I understand what optoma means when they say this is an hdr projector, thanks for your answers, I really apreciate.
The Benq's w1070 and HT2050a have RGBRGB color wheels, but are still REC.709 projectors. Yes they have better color than the Optoma 27HDR.
Projectors which fall into the WideColorGamut (WCG/ Rec.2020/DCI-P3) category are the newer generations, such as the HT3550. The expanded color gamut is usually achieved by using a filter, which drastically cuts light output. They can function without the filter, but will not have the WCG.

One feature of HDR TV's, due to their brightness, is specular highlights, or very bright sources of light (of HDR material). Since projectors can't reach the brightness of HDR TV's they have to map the image brightness to the projectors capability. If the projector is not bright the bright spots will have to be amalgamated into the regular whites and they will not be seen.
Thus, the brighter the projector the more room it will have in displaying these types of bright highlights separate from the regular whites.
madrid64 likes this.

Last edited by noob00224; 08-09-2019 at 01:38 PM.
post #442 of 443 Old 08-09-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
The Benq's w1070 and HT2050a have RGBRGB color wheels, but are still REC.709 projectors. Yes they have better color than the Optoma 27HDR.
Projectors which fall into the WideColorGamut (WCG/ Rec.2020/DCI-P3) category are the newer generations, such as the HT3550. The expanded color gamut is usually achieved by using a filter, which drastically cuts light output. They can function without the filter, but will not have the WCG.

One feature of HDR TV's, due to their brightness, is specular highlights, or very bright sources of light (of HDR material). Since projectors can't reach the brightness of HDR TV's they have to map the image brightness to the projectors capability. If the projector is not bright the bright spots will have to be amalgamated into the regular whites and they will not be seen.
Thus, the brighter the projector the more room it will have in displaying these types of bright highlights separate from the regular whites.
Thanks a lot for your answer, to me it's kind of misleading because at first I tought that it was capable of displying hdr(wcg) but it seems that its only a marketing thing to put that in the projector box, so at the end this is an hdr ready projector, and with that I dont mean its a bad projector, I mean the 120hz 8ms its an amazing feature and one that it truly does, but thats's not what I'm looking for.
noob00224 likes this.
post #443 of 443 Old 08-12-2019, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 619 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
HDR provides a wider dynamic range image. Not all HDR projectors can display the entire P3 gamut, which is part of the HDR spec but this doesn't prevent them from displaying vivid colour. The primary advantage of HDR is displaying bright hi-lights and shadow detail simultaneously, in a way that better represents human vision. An HDR signal has more information in it to allow the projector to display it in a superior format.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page