New Optoma 1080p HDR10 0.65 projector: HD27HDR - Page 8 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 74Likes

post #211 of 465 Old 01-26-2019, 06:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksbarnz View Post
I picked up this projector yesterday. Sold my Epson 4040 while I could make a little money on it, and was really looking for the sub 20ms, 4k, HDR, laser under $3k unicorn that seems like it might be another year away. I figured this would be a good stop gap for gaming until something like that came out. First impressions compared to the Epson are that the Epson had better/brighter colors and slightly better blacks, which was to be expected since it cost 3x the Optoma.

One thing that I found interesting is that the sharpness was only a little better on the Epson with the 4k enhancement it uses compared to the Optoma at 1080. This being my first DLP (have had Sony, Epson and Panny Projectors) I am liking the sharpness a DLP provides without the convergence issues. I'll post my impressions later on gaming on my xbox one x after I get the projector tweaked to the way I like it. One thing I am noticing is that no matter what dynamic range I set for HDR, be it Film, Detail, etc., it looks the same. I see no change in the HDR image when cycling through these settings. This is when viewing 4k HDR or 1080p HDR movies from an Apple TV 4k. Does anyone else notice this on theirs? So far from what I am seeing is that SDR, be it 4k or 1080p, looks much better than HDR.
I don’t see those options when hdr is active, I only see HDR and User? I adjusted the ‘user’ mode; changed the gamma to film, lowered brilliant colour to 3 and brought down the brightness a bit and it’s looking very nice. I’m on windows though, so the colour handling is probably totally different from your setup. Where exactly in the menu do you see those options?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 465 Old 01-26-2019, 07:30 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Once you feed it an hdr signal you have the option to change the HDR mode under image settings > dynamic range > hdr picture mode. Flipping through these, I do not see a change in the image. I have firmware system: C03, MCU: M04 if you want to compare against yours.

I’ve gotten the SDR image dialed in, but right now I can not find an HDR image setting or tweaks that can get a good image with an hdr signal. The colors are washed out in all hdr modes.
post #213 of 465 Old 01-26-2019, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all, Long time lurker!

Looking to upgrade projector sometime soon. I have a Viewsonic PJD5555w, and wanting to upgrade to 1080p.

After much researching and browsing for a decently priced 1080p projector, I came across the HD27.

Now I know its hard to tell if you've never had one, but would the HD27 be a decent upgrade from the Viewsonic?

Spec wise looks alot better, and, am digging the low lag as it will be gamed on, from PC and xbox.

Do have a bit of light as we use it in the living room, but the viewsonic has handled the light situation pretty decently. And has been a decent first projector purchase.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #214 of 465 Old 01-26-2019, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked: 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tipsysmile View Post
Hello all, Long time lurker!

Looking to upgrade projector sometime soon. I have a Viewsonic PJD5555w, and wanting to upgrade to 1080p.

After much researching and browsing for a decently priced 1080p projector, I came across the HD27.

Now I know its hard to tell if you've never had one, but would the HD27 be a decent upgrade from the Viewsonic?

Spec wise looks alot better, and, am digging the low lag as it will be gamed on, from PC and xbox.

Do have a bit of light as we use it in the living room, but the viewsonic has handled the light situation pretty decently. And has been a decent first projector purchase.

Thanks!
I had a Viewsonic PJD5555w and upgraded to a Viewsonic Pro7827hd last year. The upgrade was a noticeable improvement in resolution 720-1080 and color wheel RGBCYW-RGBRGB. You have a desire for low lag time so a projector branded as a gaming projector and with a small lag like this one would be good. It comes with a RGBCYW color wheel so I expect your blacks will be no better than your PJD5555w depending on how bright a preset you will be using. This I would guess will in its best mode after lamp dimming and eco setting be around 600 lumens.

I have been following this thread thinking like you are.

I guess it boils down to if you need to play 4k material and if the shorter throw length helps you. If I didn’t have the Pro7827hd and was upgrading to 1080 and wanted low input lag I would pick the BenQ HT2050A right now with the RGBRGB color wheel.

Others may have a different take on it.
Tipsysmile likes this.

Bud
post #215 of 465 Old 01-26-2019, 01:27 PM

Liked: 0
I’m trying to get the projector to accept 120 hz on my Xbox one S. When I change the Xbox settings to use 120 hz it doesn’t accept the change it stays at 60 hz. Any ideas?
post #216 of 465 Old 01-26-2019, 04:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Once you feed it an hdr signal you have the option to change the HDR mode under image settings > dynamic range > hdr picture mode. Flipping through these, I do not see a change in the image. I have firmware system: C03, MCU: M04 if you want to compare against yours.

I’ve gotten the SDR image dialed in, but right now I can not find an HDR image setting or tweaks that can get a good image with an hdr signal. The colors are washed out in all hdr modes.
That happened to me when I played a Netflix HDR movie through a HDFury Vertex to my non-HDR 1080P projector. Washing out is what happens. I fixed mine by changing a setting on the Vertex to HDR > In > SDR > Out. In your case your projector accepts HDR. So most likely, you have a setting in your menu someplace that you have to flip or turn on. Look for it. Or maybe someone here has already faced it and fixed it.

Jack
post #217 of 465 Old 01-26-2019, 05:07 PM

It definitely is accepting an hdr signal, both from my one x and Apple TV 4K and displaying it. Problem is, is that it looks washed out regardless of the hdr settings. I can get colors better by tweaking brilliant color, contrast, etc, but SDR looks better compared to HDR from everything I have tried. Might be taking it back tomorrow and sticking with SDR and trying a BenQ 2050a.
post #218 of 465 Old 01-26-2019, 06:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 25
If you are using a pc, leave HDR on, but make sure windows is set to 8bit rgb limited, let the game or movie run the color space its set to run, if I use anything like 10 bit 422 I get washed out just a lil bit more than with 8 bit rgb set in windows, I also set brilliant color to 1, anything else washed the pic out, and I also set brightness to negative 10 with color space warm. Also set 3d to off unless you are using it.
post #219 of 465 Old 01-26-2019, 06:20 PM

Quote:

I checked my firmware and it’s: B08. I only see HDR auto or off under dynamic range. So they do have a newer firmware which added those options. Disappointing that they don’t do anything to the picture though.. I think you may be right about the sdr looking better than the hdr.. it looks like they’re having trouble fixing it also based on your findings with the newer firmware.. Can you check if you could enable Enhanced Gaming mode when running at 1080 120 hz? I wonder if your newer firmware fixed that.
post #220 of 465 Old 01-26-2019, 06:22 PM

I've also noticed in ALOT of newer games, things in the background will look really washed out, then become bright and punchy as you get closer, strange brigade, god of war, spider man and a bunch others do this. Even on my samsung ks8500, so games inherently look that way when stuff is in the distance.
post #221 of 465 Old 01-26-2019, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptolmy View Post
Quote:

I checked my firmware and it’s: B08. I only see HDR auto or off under dynamic range. So they do have a newer firmware which added those options. Disappointing that they don’t do anything to the picture though.. I think you may be right about the sdr looking better than the hdr.. it looks like they’re having trouble fixing it also based on your findings with the newer firmware.. Can you check if you could enable Enhanced Gaming mode when running at 1080 120 hz? I wonder if your newer firmware fixed that.
Yeah, I am thinking there are some issues with HDR on this projector. I didn’t have any of the issues with the Epson using the same sources. Just checked, and 120 hz works on the Xbox One X with the version of firmware I am running.

Bummer, it had promise. If it would properly display HDR because gaming is fantastic on it.
post #222 of 465 Old 01-26-2019, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagameballa View Post
I've also noticed in ALOT of newer games, things in the background will look really washed out, then become bright and punchy as you get closer, strange brigade, god of war, spider man and a bunch others do this. Even on my samsung ks8500, so games inherently look that way when stuff is in the distance.
It is both HDR games from the X (tried destiny 2, Forza Horizon 4) and movies off of the Apple TV 4K (tried HDR movies in Prime, Netflix and iTunes) that are all washed out.
post #223 of 465 Old 01-26-2019, 06:44 PM

How do you get the new firmware? Mine doesn’t support 120 hz.
post #224 of 465 Old 01-26-2019, 06:48 PM

Not sure how you update. I just searched Optomas site and didn’t see an update. My projector came with this version.
post #225 of 465 Old 01-26-2019, 06:51 PM

I got mine last week but I have the same original firmware. I’m a little bummed because I can’t seem to get it to run at 120 hz and I’m guessing it needs the newest firmware but I can’t find it.
post #226 of 465 Old 01-26-2019, 07:14 PM

I’m running at 120hz no problem with the original firmware. It’s just that I can’t select ‘enhanced gaming mode’ when running at 120hz. It’s greyed out in the menu. Maybe try it from your pc at 120hz just to test it? Or Maybe try a different HDMI cable?
post #227 of 465 Old 01-27-2019, 08:25 AM

Quote:
If you are using a pc, leave HDR on, but make sure windows is set to 8bit rgb limited, let the game or movie run the color space its set to run, if I use anything like 10 bit 422 I get washed out just a lil bit more than with 8 bit rgb set in windows, I also set brilliant color to 1, anything else washed the pic out, and I also set brightness to negative 10 with color space warm. Also set 3d to off unless you are using it.
Hey there, trying out your settings, where do you set the 8 bit limited exactly - In windows display settings or the projector itself? Also what lamp level are you using?
post #228 of 465 Old 01-27-2019, 10:04 AM

I have an nvidia card, so I do it in nvidia control panel. Change resolution, down at the bottom it will have you set your color space.
post #229 of 465 Old 01-27-2019, 10:45 AM

Did you have to change anything in the Optoma settings for 120 hz to work? Or did it auto detect when you enable 120 hz on the Xbox. When I switch the Xbox to 120 hz it takes about 5 seconds to refresh the screen but then shows it’s still on 60 hz and sometimes the picture stretches weird.
post #230 of 465 Old 01-27-2019, 11:49 AM

I ended up taking the projector back this morning and got a BenQ HT2050a. I never could get HDR dialed in on the Optoma, and SDR while good, never felt great.

Comparing SDR against the two, the colors seem richer and more vibrant on the BenQ. I know I am giving up 120hz, but since I game on an X, there are not too many games that take advantage of this. Gaming between the two at 60 FPS feels identical.

It is worth checking out for those that do not care about HDR (which seems to have issues currently) and 120 HZ.
post #231 of 465 Old 01-27-2019, 11:51 AM

One more thing to note between the two. I see less rainbows on the BenQ. I would see them on the Optoma occasionally, but have not seen them yet on the BenQ
post #232 of 465 Old 01-27-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kourt View Post
Did you have to change anything in the Optoma settings for 120 hz to work? Or did it auto detect when you enable 120 hz on the Xbox. When I switch the Xbox to 120 hz it takes about 5 seconds to refresh the screen but then shows it’s still on 60 hz and sometimes the picture stretches weird.
This projector takes a long time to change resolutions. You may be timing out the confirm prompt in the Xbox and then it returns back to the last resolution set. Try to remember where the ‘ok’ button is and click that area when the projector is switching.
post #233 of 465 Old 01-27-2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:
I have an nvidia card, so I do it in nvidia control panel. Change resolution, down at the bottom it will have you set your color space.
Ok I have an nvidia card too - will try that thanks!
post #234 of 465 Old 01-27-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
I ended up taking the projector back this morning and got a BenQ HT2050a. I never could get HDR dialed in on the Optoma, and SDR while good, never felt great.

Comparing SDR against the two, the colors seem richer and more vibrant on the BenQ. I know I am giving up 120hz, but since I game on an X, there are not too many games that take advantage of this. Gaming between the two at 60 FPS feels identical.

It is worth checking out for those that do not care about HDR (which seems to have issues currently) and 120 HZ.
That’s too bad - a lot of returns with this one it seems. Hope they release a firmware fix soon!
C’mon Optima don’t drop the ball!
post #235 of 465 Old 01-27-2019, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently have a HD142X and use it as such. PC>GTX 1080 HDMI>Onkyo TX-nr525>projector. I also have the 3d emitter and the glasses and think on a throw of 82" this looks extremely good on the 3D side. What I want to know is if my current device chain will be okay to support an HDR signal (onkyo seems to have pass through so is hdcp 2.2) if all i'm doing is running mkv's that have HDR meta data through kodi or mpc. Will I just need to manually swap the unit to hdr mode and colors will be okay or does it not work like this? The mounting points on the two devices manuals also indicate if I get this one can just unbolt my HD142X and bolt this one right up with same cabling and minimal adjustment to the arm. I mean it even has the same oem remote. Any comparisons between the two on SDR mode? I found the color accuracy lacking on the HD142X but it is budget so I am happy with it.

Edit: now after reading through the whole thread instead of skimming it, seems that the HDR on this one might be hit or miss and is buggy. Also others have updated firmware with no file on the support site to usb flash them to the units and on top of that since i drive 3x1440p displays and the 1080p projector to get HDR out of windows I would have to disconnect all my other displays when I want to watch HDR content it seems? Bummer.

Last edited by rvcjew; 01-27-2019 at 09:12 PM.
post #236 of 465 Old 01-28-2019, 01:56 PM

This projector takes a long time to change resolutions. You may be timing out the confirm prompt in the Xbox and then it returns back to the last resolution set. Try to remember where the ‘ok’ button is and click that area when the projector is switching.[/QUOTE]

I did some digging and realized my Yamaha sound receiver only supports 4k or 120hz through hdmi port 4 and I’ve had it connected to #1 this whole time thinking hdmi 1 was the 4k support haha. So I switched ports and got it working just fine. Still unable to change it to enhanced game mode at 120hz though. So not sure it’s worth it yet to forgo 16 ms input lag for 120 hz at 30 ms or whatever it is.
post #237 of 465 Old 01-28-2019, 02:54 PM

Also I got an email from Optoma saying the firmware update should be available “shortly” and to check the website near the end of this week. So hopefully by the end of the week it will be available. I don’t know if the update includes allowing enhanced gaming at 120 hz though, I didn’t ask about that.
post #238 of 465 Old 01-28-2019, 03:52 PM

I was reading through the manual and under enhanced gaming mode it says “note only for 1080p 60 hz signals” so I guess it doesn’t support enhanced gaming mode at 120 hz.
post #239 of 465 Old 01-28-2019, 04:11 PM

Earlier in the thread there was someone from Optima letting us know that they had the enhanced gaming mode active at 120hz and resulted in 8ms input lag! They were still working on the firmware for it at the time. I’m hoping that they release this in the firmware as well as some better handling for hdr at the same time... Good to hear that there’s some movement on it!
post #240 of 465 Old 01-28-2019, 06:21 PM

I don’t know if I’m on the new firmware or not but I have support for 120 hz. But hdr on the Xbox s looks really bad so I have that turned off if I’m playing games. I have the 4 options for hdr so I’m guessing it’s the newest firmware but not sure. Either way when running 120 hz I can’t enable enhanced game mode with the Xbox.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page