Optoma UHD51ALV - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 44Likes

post #31 of 226 Old 09-10-2018, 09:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Hi guys, forgive me for my noobs questions... But all this pj have upscaler till 4k?
I have only br 1080p and 3d, and my player doesn't upscale

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 226 Old 09-10-2018, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 3787 Post(s)
Liked: 3001
Here's what Optoma says about frame interpolation for both the UHD51A and UHD51ALV :

Quote:
PureMotion works in both 2D and 3D and is optimized for 1080p24.
post #33 of 226 Old 09-10-2018, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1078 Post(s)
Liked: 577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
Here's what Optoma says about frame interpolation for both the UHD51A and UHD51ALV : "PureMotion works in both 2D and 3D and is optimized for 1080p24."
@Dave in Green , that's a new statement then as @Tuan said it doesn't exist for 3D for the UDH51a, and they have no plans to include it in future firmware release. This quote from @Tuan on 7/27/18: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post56548962
"Spoke to my PM. Frame interpolation in 3D is not possible as the MEMC processor is used to handle frame-packed 3D content and unable to enable FI so its not something we can add later via firmware."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 226 Old 09-10-2018, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Optoma needs to check the PureMotion claims posted on their website:

optoma.com/us/product/uhd51a/

optoma.com/us/product/uhd51alv/
post #35 of 226 Old 09-10-2018, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Optoma needs to check the PureMotion claims posted on their website:

optoma.com/us/product/uhd51a/

optoma.com/us/product/uhd51alv/
Yup, and everyone wonders why we get into dragged-out squabbles over marketing vs. real specs...I mean those statements are quite clear and direct.

@Tuan ?????
post #36 of 226 Old 09-10-2018, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Send a message via Skype™ to Tuan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DBob View Post
Yup, and everyone wonders why we get into dragged-out squabbles over marketing vs. real specs...I mean those statements are quite clear and direct.

@Tuan ?????
Crap, let me fix this. The bullet points are usually generic and used by all products.
post #37 of 226 Old 09-10-2018, 11:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuan View Post
Crap, let me fix this. The bullet points are usually generic and used by all products.
Very curious to see if this new model will have better pic quality than the UHD60? Maybe explains why they lowered the price on the UHD60 by $200 as they are both high lumen models? Tuan can you provide any more info?

Thanks

It's on amazon now too btw but no release date.
post #38 of 226 Old 09-10-2018, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I hope that Optoma appreciates how much they benefit from you participating in this forum.
Calibratedlumens likes this.
post #39 of 226 Old 09-10-2018, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garetjaxor View Post
Very curious to see if this new model will have better pic quality than the UHD60? Maybe explains why they lowered the price on the UHD60 by $200 as they are both high lumen models? Tuan can you provide any more info?

Thanks

It's on amazon now too btw but no release date.
UHD60 uses the 0.65" DMD, UHD51A/ALV uses the 0.47" DMD. The UHD60 theoretically has better image quality, just no 3D, Android OS, built-in media player or the Alexa / Google Assistant features.

Quote:
I hope that Optoma appreciates how much they benefit from you participating in this forum.
Or the headaches and loss of sleep I get from participating in this forum .
post #40 of 226 Old 09-11-2018, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I'm going to be using an ALR screen with some ambient light. The primary focus for the projector will be 4K gaming. Alexa is nice, but not a deal breaker for an alternative. I currently have an HD25-LV and this seems like a good upgrade to that(biggest issue is shows with dark scenes where anything close to black is lost, but no ALR and planning to downsize the screen slightly). However the lag on 1080P gaming is a nice 17ms on it. What is the lag on this one for 1080P and 4K gaming?

P.S. I also have an extensive 1080P 3D collection so Full HD 3D is a requirement. Currently I'm looking at this or the TK800. Would really like to know comparative specs on them.

Last edited by Kreationz; 09-11-2018 at 05:08 PM.
post #41 of 226 Old 09-17-2018, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
It's been a week and the product page for the uhd51alv still says "PureMotion works in both 2D and 3D and is optimized for 1080p24". Is it safe to assume that it's true?

I'm surprised that it wouldn't work with 3D because my 7 year old HD33 projector does PureMotion with BluRay-3D. Why would current processors not be able to handle this?

Last edited by Pyronaut; 09-17-2018 at 01:52 PM.
post #42 of 226 Old 09-17-2018, 02:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyronaut View Post
It's been a week and the product page for the uhd51alv still says "PureMotion works in both 2D and 3D and is optimized for 1080p24". Is it safe to assume that it's true?

I'm surprised that it wouldn't work with 3D because my 7 year old HD33 projector does PureMotion with BluRay-3D. Why would current processors not be able to handle this?
@Tuan has stated that on these new projectors the MEMC (Motion Controller) also handles 3D, but they are separate functions and do not work together.
post #43 of 226 Old 09-17-2018, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
@Tuan has stated that on these new projectors the MEMC (Motion Controller) also handles 3D, but they are separate functions and do not work together.
That's an unfortunate design choice. I enjoy 3D a lot more with motion interpolation, so I guess this projector is a no go for me.
BattleAxeVR likes this.
post #44 of 226 Old 09-27-2018, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I am trying to decide between UHD60 and the UHD51ALV as I don't have a light-controlled room. I tried Benq TK800 and it didn't work for me as the specific unit that I had seemed to have some focusing issues (one corner would always be out of focus), so I had to return it... but I digress.

I am having trouble deciding between the two Optomas. Any suggestions from someone who has used both? I saw that there were two reviews posted, but they are from different sources and that does make it harder.
post #45 of 226 Old 09-27-2018, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitks View Post
... I tried Benq TK800 and it didn't work for me as the specific unit that I had seemed to have some focusing issues (one corner would always be out of focus), so I had to return it... but I digress. ...
While it could have been an issue with the projector, for future reference the most common reason for one corner of an image being out of focus is an uneven screen wall. Typically shimming that corner of the screen out so it's even with the rest of the screen will resolve the issue. Most walls are much less true than most people imagine. If you closely examine all of the walls in your home you will find that most of them are at least slightly uneven and not perfectly square.
Wesley Hester likes this.
post #46 of 226 Old 09-30-2018, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
While it could have been an issue with the projector, for future reference the most common reason for one corner of an image being out of focus is an uneven screen wall. Typically shimming that corner of the screen out so it's even with the rest of the screen will resolve the issue. Most walls are much less true than most people imagine. If you closely examine all of the walls in your home you will find that most of them are at least slightly uneven and not perfectly square.
That makes sense. I chalked it up to Benq quality as I never had issues with my Optoma, which is at end of its life, on the same screen and nearly the same set up. That said, I know that the UHD51ALV has the same chipset and wheel set as TK800, so I am wary of getting one without reviews/comparisons against the UHD60 with the bigger chipset.
post #47 of 226 Old 09-30-2018, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitks View Post
That said, I know that the UHD51ALV has the same chipset and wheel set as TK800, so I am wary of getting one without reviews/comparisons against the UHD60 with the bigger chipset.
You are close, the TK800's wheel is RGBW and the Optoma UHD51ALV is RGBWRGBW. While both have the white segment, they probably are spinning at different speeds, and therefore have some variation in color, brightness, and contrast, etc. Only time and reviews will tell the true story of differences. The UHD51ALV is $300 more as well, with more features, so, some apples and oranges comparisons here. Wanting to compare it to the bigger chipset is useless from the standpoint that the bigger chip does not support 3D.
post #48 of 226 Old 10-01-2018, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
4K Upgrade Help

I currently own an Epson 5030 and have been considering a 4k upgrade. Quality wise I didn't find anything cheaper than the 5030 that I thought was all that good when it came to the picture quality at the time. I know cost really plays a role in the quality of the projector and was willing to pay $2,500 to get that with the Epson, so I'm wondering if anyone could enlighten me about the Optoma or 4k projectors in general. Is this projector the equivalent to a cheap $700 1080p projector or an actual step above even the Epson 5030 in terms of image quality across the board?
post #49 of 226 Old 10-02-2018, 06:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpls1981 View Post
I currently own an Epson 5030 and have been considering a 4k upgrade. Quality wise I didn't find anything cheaper than the 5030 that I thought was all that good when it came to the picture quality at the time. I know cost really plays a role in the quality of the projector and was willing to pay $2,500 to get that with the Epson, so I'm wondering if anyone could enlighten me about the Optoma or 4k projectors in general. Is this projector the equivalent to a cheap $700 1080p projector or an actual step above even the Epson 5030 in terms of image quality across the board?
Well, 4K projectors should have a better image because they are showing more pixels on the screen. Whether that satisfies you vs. the 5030 can only be judged by seeing one regardless of what everyone here can tell you. Simply watching a lot of 1080p on any 4k projector is probably a waste of money. Also consider 3D. If you like 3D, and that is a main use of your projector, then a 1080p projector is going to give you as much satisfaction as a 4k projector. If you want to watch a lot of UHD 4K video, then you will definitely see an upgrade in image quality vs. your 5030 at a cheaper price. What you intend to watch should be the defining factor, not simply that you have an itch for 4K because it's the latest thing.
post #50 of 226 Old 10-03-2018, 06:48 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I ordered up the UHD51ALV a few days ago and it should be here tomorrow. This is our first projector ever. We're coming from an old Sharp Aquos 60" 1080P TV (LC-60LE550U) that we've had since 2014. The image quality on that TV was not the best but not the worst and so I'm hoping to see a nice difference.

We'll be using this in a light controlled basement with a throw of about 12' and I'm REALLY hoping I have not made a mistake. I fear that the projector may be to bright. To be honest though I just don't know what to expect since this is our first.

Next steps are to find the right screen material (we'll be building our own frame) for it as well as an HDMI cable that won't cause any problems with a run of about 25'-30'.

We'll be using it mostly for movies and the occasional football game.

Fingers crossed we'll have it fully installed in about a month or so.
post #51 of 226 Old 10-03-2018, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@spshultz : Being your first projector, that is really taking a leap. You are limited to a 120" screen at most with a 12' throw--maybe even a 100" screen depending on your mounting requirements. That will be bright. Not sure why you didn't consider the UHD51A, which would have been plenty bright enough with the same features, and possibly better contrast?? All said and done, first mount it and show it on a wall to get the right perspective and size. If your wall is not white, then hang a white sheet up. You will have some brightness control simply by using Cinema mode and turning the brightness and contrast way down. But that will be limited as you begin to lose control over color and contrast at low levels. I say go for a grey screen with less than 1.0 gain. Maybe a .8 gain. A grey screen will give you better contrast and control the light.

That considered, you have a long cable length and need to get a cable that can handle 18 gb speed, and 4K 60hz (NOT just 4K 30hz) HDR and 2.0 compliant hdmi or better. I had to go through several cables for my Benq TK800, which needed a 25ft cable and is probably as bright as the ALV. If you don't go directly to the projector ala an audio receiver, it too needs to be 4K 60hz compliant hdmi. I can't emphasize enough the need for a good cable. If you don't have a good cable, you will have constant sync issues with signal flashing and recovering now and then.

I went through several cables and found this one that finally worked, and it was surprisingly cheap. Price does not always indicate quality with these cables. I spent a lot more on my first two cables: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008U7SL4C .While you might not need a cable to support gaming, make sure that it does anyway, like Xbox, PS4, ARC, etc., reason being if they work, everything usually works like streaming 4k devices, etc.
russellhk likes this.
post #52 of 226 Old 10-03-2018, 02:50 PM

3DBob,

Quote:
@spshultz : If your wall is not white, then hang a white sheet up. You will have some brightness control simply by using Cinema mode and turning the brightness and contrast way down. But that will be limited as you begin to lose control over color and contrast at low levels. I say go for a grey screen with less than 1.0 gain. Maybe a .8 gain. A grey screen will give you better contrast and control the light.
This is actually what I was going to do. I'm still learning about screen gains and colors and etc and am hoping that going with a gain of less than 1.0 will help tone down the brightness.

Quote:
That considered, you have a long cable length and need to get a cable that can handle 18 gb speed, and 4K 60hz (NOT just 4K 30hz) HDR and 2.0 compliant hdmi or better. I had to go through several cables for my Benq TK800, which needed a 25ft cable and is probably as bright as the ALV. If you don't go directly to the projector ala an audio receiver, it too needs to be 4K 60hz compliant hdmi. I can't emphasize enough the need for a good cable. If you don't have a good cable, you will have constant sync issues with signal flashing and recovering now and then.

I went through several cables and found this one that finally worked, and it was surprisingly cheap. Price does not always indicate quality with these cables. I spent a lot more on my first two cables: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008U7SL4C .While you might not need a cable to support gaming, make sure that it does anyway, like Xbox, PS4, ARC, etc., reason being if they work, everything usually works like streaming 4k devices, etc.
Thanks for the cable link. And thank you for the receiver info! I hadn't even thought about it needing to support [email protected] I have an old Onkyo TX-NR809 that I'll be using just for audio until I can source a nice receiver. The Onkyo can pass a 4k signal but I'm sure it's not even up to par with the requirements of this projector.
post #53 of 226 Old 10-03-2018, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by spshultz View Post
I ordered up the UHD51ALV a few days ago and it should be here tomorrow. This is our first projector ever. We're coming from an old Sharp Aquos 60" 1080P TV (LC-60LE550U) that we've had since 2014. The image quality on that TV was not the best but not the worst and so I'm hoping to see a nice difference.

We'll be using this in a light controlled basement with a throw of about 12' and I'm REALLY hoping I have not made a mistake. I fear that the projector may be to bright. To be honest though I just don't know what to expect since this is our first.

Next steps are to find the right screen material (we'll be building our own frame) for it as well as an HDMI cable that won't cause any problems with a run of about 25'-30'.

We'll be using it mostly for movies and the occasional football game.

Fingers crossed we'll have it fully installed in about a month or so.
You'll have to update the board with what you think once you have it all set up. I went from a 60 inch myself to 110 inches with my projector and can't imagine ever wanting to go back. Sadly it took me 3 tries to find the right projector. My first two seemed much worse than my tv.
post #54 of 226 Old 10-04-2018, 05:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spshultz View Post
I ordered up the UHD51ALV a few days ago and it should be here tomorrow.
Are you sure you ordered the UHD51ALV and not the UHD51A?? The ALV version is not available on the street yet. Amazon is predicting the end of October.
post #55 of 226 Old 10-04-2018, 07:18 AM

Yeah I definitely ordered the UHD51ALV. After I saw your post I started doubting myself so I just checked my Sales Order receipt and sure enough it is the ALV version.

PP gave me a call a couple of days ago to let me know that since it's so new it would be shipping from the factory or something like that and that there may be a delay. However, FedEx shows it's supposed to be here today sometime.

On a side note I don't have a mount for it yet but I've got my eye on the "QualGear Pro-AV QG-KIT-CA-3IN-B" mount. I'll pull the trigger on the mount once I determine what kind of mounting pattern the projector has. I've got 9' ceilings in the basement so I'm not sure if I'll need an extension for it or not.
post #56 of 226 Old 10-04-2018, 09:50 AM

Well here it is. FedEx required a signature but I almost missed it. They caught me on the loo!

While looking over the projector, oddly nowhere on it nor in any of the included documentation does it show that it's a UHD51ALV. Only the packing slip and shipping box show that it's the ALV version.

Oh, and here is the basement it will be going in and the wall I'll be using it on. The blue tape was a quick mock up I did for the family showing the difference between an 82" TV and a 120" screen. I'm thinking I can go bigger, just not sure how much bigger. Seating is going to have to be limited to a max of 10' from the screen.

For testing purposes I purchased a Sony UBP-X800 player. I'm hoping it will do this projector justice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Optoma_UHD51ALV_unboxing_1.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	310.5 KB
ID:	2463750   Click image for larger version

Name:	Optoma_UHD51ALV_unboxing_2.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	303.3 KB
ID:	2463752   Click image for larger version

Name:	Optoma_UHD51ALV_unboxing_3.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	279.6 KB
ID:	2463754   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2166.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	280.7 KB
ID:	2463756  

Last edited by spshultz; 10-04-2018 at 10:36 AM.
post #57 of 226 Old 10-04-2018, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Did you mark out the SN# on the box? That's very suspicious. I'm still baffled how you got one since only the review units were to go out now. I have the Sony X700 and the X800 is even better, so no worries there. You will have to set it and judge how big of screen it will handle from your mounting distance, of course, but according to the manual, it will top out at 120" for a 12' throw, if measured from the lens to the wall.
post #58 of 226 Old 10-04-2018, 10:37 AM

I did mark it out. Just some of my OCD showing.

I'm not sure on forum rules pertaining to giving out company names when it comes to purchasing items but I normally order everything through the big A because of the super fast two day shipping. However, for this projector I ordered through another company that sells Projectors to People. Maybe they sold it to me thinking I'm a reviewer? Or maybe they are the first company to have them in stock? I'm not really sure.

The soffit in the basement pic is 13'6" from the screen wall. The soffit height is 7'4" and so I could technically mount the PJ on it or just below soffit height and further back but my fear is it being hit when we have lots of company over for games.

Last edited by spshultz; 10-04-2018 at 11:34 AM.
post #59 of 226 Old 10-04-2018, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Did you mark out the SN# on the box? That's very suspicious. I'm still baffled how you got one since only the review units were to go out now. I have the Sony X700 and the X800 is even better, so no worries there. You will have to set it and judge how big of screen it will handle from your mounting distance, of course, but according to the manual, it will top out at 120" for a 12' throw, if measured from the lens to the wall.
The sales unit have already shipped. Just because we have review units, doesn't mean there are publications that want to evaluate it .
post #60 of 226 Old 10-05-2018, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
@Dave in Green , that's a new statement then as @Tuan said it doesn't exist for 3D for the UDH51a, and they have no plans to include it in future firmware release. This quote from @Tuan on 7/27/18: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post56548962
"Spoke to my PM. Frame interpolation in 3D is not possible as the MEMC processor is used to handle frame-packed 3D content and unable to enable FI so its not something we can add later via firmware."
Asked my PM again about it, he says the MEMC does interpolation with framepacked 3D.
BattleAxeVR likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page