Optoma UHD51ALV - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 44Likes

post #151 of 228 Old 11-21-2018, 08:52 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 31
You really need to take in account the size of the room, how big of a screen you'r projecting on, gain of the screen, and how dark you can make the room (how much ambient light you have), do you do 3D and 4K (they require more brightness). I have the 51ALV but I've never seen the 51A in use. The only difference
between the two projectors is the color wheel, with the 51ALV having two more white sectors in the color wheel which makes for 3000 lumens compared to 2400 lumens for the 51A. The color wheel on the 51A provides better all round color. My advice is to read every post on this board before you make your decision and if possible find a dealer who will show you a side by side comparison between the two. Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 228 Old 11-21-2018, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Optoma UHD51ALV

I have to say I’m really impressed with this projector. I am going to have to get a better HDMI because I’m not getting any HDR from my Oppo UDP 203 so that’s unfortunate I have to set the input to hdmi 1.4. I watched Red Sparrow on DirecTV and Ready Player One on 4K last night. I’m doing some daytime viewing of Predator today with blinds and curtains shut I think it is pretty good considering the room conditions.

I am having trouble getting the EZCast screen mirroring working the way I’d hoped it’d work. I was hoping I could cast YouTube to the projector but it just doesn’t show up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wesley Hester likes this.
post #153 of 228 Old 11-26-2018, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Optoma UHD51ALV

Just a few observation I made over the holiday running this projector everyday since Wednesday. First I am sensitive to RBE which I can see with this PJ. I think it could be from wearing glasses for astigmatism. This got me thinking and wondering if people with astigmatism suffer from RBE more often then others without. The reason for this thought is that people with astigmatism often suffer from seeing a starburst effect when looking at red dot and laser rifle sights, which I also suffer from. I haven’t really looked into RBE and who sees it so I’m sure some without an astigmatism will say they see RBE but IDK maybe it’s just coincidence that I’m effected by both. This could probably have its own thread if it doesn’t already. So please provide thoughts on a correlation between astigmatism and RBE.
Second observation, as I’ve read in this thread and the 51A thread the Red color is too intense. I’ve turned down the Red gain to -4 probably not enough but it helps. I’m open to suggestions on dialing in my color.
Third and this kind of strange not sure why this is but the gama adjustment is greyed out under the Cinema mode only while watching DirecTV @1080i resolution but if I turn on the I/P scaler in my Denon AVR X3000 to upscale to 4K then I can adjust the gama in cinema mode. Kind of strange I think. When I first hooked up the 51ALV the I/P scaler was turned on and I didn’t realize it but it was causing some weird effects on the picture like ghosting and some pixelating probably something to with FI being on at the same time. I got to looking at my AVR video settings and turned off IP scaler, Wow the picture got a lot brighter and Olathe weird effects went away. Since the picture was so much brighter I wanted to play with the gama to see if that helped but that’s when I discovered it was greyed out but only in Cinema mode, why would that be and can I change that?
Other than that I’m loving this projector. My fiber hdmi is coming tomorrow so maybe I’ll finally be able to check out some HDR. I still need to order some 3D glasses but they’ll come.

Last edited by Gamecock24; 11-26-2018 at 01:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 228 Old 11-26-2018, 10:53 PM

While watching Alpha I noticed random flashing. Not exceptionally bright but distracting and as I've already stated at random intervals. The fix was to take it out of HDR SIM. and run in Cinema. This also occurs when watching some but not all dvds. Not a clue as to why.

Last edited by bjones8103; 11-26-2018 at 10:58 PM.
post #155 of 228 Old 11-27-2018, 05:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 1
just spoke with some salesman here in Slovakia and told me that, uhd51a/alv is not avaialble here (EU) due to alexa function :O (for now)

PJ is offering only in UK&US. (fail )
post #156 of 228 Old 11-27-2018, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1153 Post(s)
Liked: 637
I see Optoma has pulled the UHD51ALV from it's sales page on Amazon. There are independent sellers offering, but not Amazon, only the UHD51a. Not sure what this means, sometimes they do this to upgrade the firmware, etc.

Edit:@Tuan--any comment?

Last edited by 3DBob; 11-27-2018 at 08:47 AM.
post #157 of 228 Old 11-28-2018, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DBob View Post
I see Optoma has pulled the UHD51ALV from it's sales page on Amazon. There are independent sellers offering, but not Amazon, only the UHD51a. Not sure what this means, sometimes they do this to upgrade the firmware, etc.

Edit:@Tuan--any comment?
The UHD51A is still being offered by Amazon, but at a much lower price while the UHD51ALV is being offered only by Amazon Associates for a price increase. This one maybe above Tuans' pay grade.

Last edited by bjones8103; 11-28-2018 at 03:41 AM.
post #158 of 228 Old 11-28-2018, 10:52 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones8103 View Post
The UHD51A is still being offered by Amazon, but at a much lower price while the UHD51ALV is being offered only by Amazon Associates for a price increase. This one maybe above Tuans' pay grade.
Meantime, the UHD51A is wiped out worldwide, with all retailers scrambling for inventory. Also suspicious. My order is over a week old without any movement, though the (suspicious) retailer I bought it from might have also been gaming inventory for higher margins.
Gamecock24 and bjones8103 like this.
post #159 of 228 Old 11-29-2018, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Optoma UHD51ALV

I’m so glad I bought mine before BF since inventory is so low now.

Quick question though. Will HDMI 90 degree adapters degrade my signal? I just bought a FO HDMI cable I don’t want the adapter to make HDR go away. Also got some 3D glasses and Polar express in 3D coming tomorrow. I’m quite excited to see it and I’m hoping my 7 year daughter is going to love it.

Last edited by Gamecock24; 11-29-2018 at 09:28 AM.
post #160 of 228 Old 11-29-2018, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Initial Review

I’ve owned the projector for about a week and have beenplaying the settings and features and my insights and issues are below. I haveit mounted on the ceiling with a Sony receiver that is hooked up to Atmosspeakers and 4K is through Xbox One X. The receiver is also connected to a PS3.Previously I owned the Epson 5030 projector which I loved and will be using ascomparison. I had gone with that one because all the cheaper models I triedbefore it just didn’t produce a quality picture.

Setup:
This projector is definitely a no thrills kind of projector.It has very little in terms of useful features to help get it set up. You havefocus, zoom and a really bad keystone correction feature. All of which arephysically set. Using the same mount it took a great deal of trial and errorand lots of patience to get the image to sit on my screen correctly. I’destimate I was able to achieve 97-98% levelness. The keystone correction isjust a knob you turn left or right in a circle with no indicators on the projectorto help you know what would be the middle setting or even max and it was reallyjust hit or miss trying to get everything correct. The lens cover is also justa physical one that you’d have to take on and off as desired. Like the reviewssay, this is defiantly a projector that needs a mount. Setting it on a shelf ortable would only make it far more difficult to get the image set correctly
On the plus side, I was able to go from 110inches with theEpson to a full 120 inches with this one without moving my mount or screenlocations.

HDMI Cable/4K:
I’m still working on resolving this issue. I need about 43ftfor my setup. I was using a 50ft and confirmed the specs of the cable that itwould be able to handle a 4K image. I was able to get 1080p, but the Xboxrefused to let me switch to 4K. I had a spare 40ft and tried and failed with itas well. I then bought a new 50ft thinking my cable was perhaps too old and notable to handle it. It didn’t work either. At that point I plugged it in with a6ft cable that came with the Xbox. It worked, which meant the cables were theproblem. I then bought a 25ft cable with signal booster built in from a localMicrocenter store and it works perfectly, but it’s too short to keep on apermanent basis. I tried a random 75ft signal boosting cable (price and speedof delivery from Amazon is why 75ft) – it didn’t work. I tried buying a $20signal booster as well and it didn’t work at all, even when connected to the25ft cable (that works) and a 6ft cable (that works). I ordered a 50ft cablewith signal booster from the same maker of the one I’m using now. Hopefully itwill resolve the issue. Not sure if the projector is putting out a weak signalor just a bunch of poorly made HDMI cables that lose signal over the distance.I’ve connected directly to the Xbox to ensure it’s not having issues goingthrough the receiver as part of my troubleshooting as well.

Projector Settings:
Another weak point in this model is that the projector hasfew settings to tweak. Many of them are actually greyed out and I’ve yet tofigure out how to resolve that. HDR and 3D are two of settings that I cannotset at all. It seems to be a glitch within the projector itself that I’ve yetto find how to edit. I can be in a 3D movie or HDR 4K movie and switch over tosettings and the projector will turn off the 3D and HDR and the settings willremain greyed out and I'm stuck with the default settings.

Alexa:
I had some issues getting it setup like others as well. Myfirst try I was able to connect to Wi-Fi, but not Alexa; Second attempt Icouldn’t get Wi-Fi; Third attempt it worked as the directions said it shouldand in the 3 days since I’ve used Alexa to turn it on and off without issue.You can also change your inputs through Alexa and volume (if you use it). Youdo need to change your power settings as well to make Alexa work, so that maybe one issue you run into.

Image:
I was blown away by how much of a difference it is. I wasconcerned that it would be similar to 1080p projectors where the cheaper modelsproduce a poorer quality image. While that may be true and a more expensive 4Kprojector would be even better, I cannot complain about the quality of theimage either in brightness, colors or image quality in 1080p or 4K.

HDR:
I’ve been forced to turn HDR off. I’ve read a few articlesand some televisions and projectors apparently don’t handle HDR well and it’spossible that this is the problem. I used The Matrix for my HDR test. Theprojector ends up making the movie look like a really awful 1080p transfer. Itbecomes super dark, details are hidden and the image doesn’t even come close tolooking like it’s a 4K movie. Turning off HDR and the movie goes back tolooking like a stunning 4K movie. Like I mentioned above, I’m not able to tweakthe HDR settings in the projector and not sure if a solution is available as Ihaven’t spoken to Optima yet to see about it. Xbox just has HRD on or offoption. If anyone has suggestions or insight, please provide it.

3D:
The 3D is nothing short of phenomenal. The image is brightand colorful and I noticed no ghosting issues with any of the movies I triedout. The Epson 5030 had this issue a lot. Some movies would like amazing, whileothers would want me to just switch off the 3D (Godzilla for example). Theprojector does not come with any 3D glasses. I bought a pair off Amazon basedon what was the most popular that would work with this projector.

3D Issues:
3D also is one of the issues with the projector that I’vediscovered. The projector will detect a 3D disc in both the Xbox and PS3 andautomatically switch to 3D. You don’t have the option to turn it on or off likeyou can with the Epson 5030. For fans of movies with IMAX scenes, some of theBlu-rays only released them on the 3D disc and this makes it a bit moredifficult to watch them in 2D. My work around was to disable the 3D option onthe Xbox and force it into 2D. TRON: Legacy however would not play. It saysthat it didn’t detect a 3D capable TV and I was unable to bypass it on eitherthe Xbox or PS3. The projector itself won’t even let me force 3D on. If anyonehas experience an similar issue and found a solution, please let me know.

Noise:
The fan does make a noticeable sound in a completely quitesetting, but quickly fades away into the background when watching something.Because of the setup issues, I was forced to lower my mount and thus theprojector is closer to my ears so it is a bit more noticeable than the Epson5030.

Other Notes/Issues
Whenever the projector switches modes (1080p to 4K orbetween the Xbox and Projector Settings or even just starting a movie) it doestake 5-20 seconds to do so. The screen will go black and then it’ll say nosource found before showing the image again. It’s annoying for how slow it canbe, especially when trying to tweak settings to what you want and you’re goingback and forth often, but manageable overall.

The remote is tiny (iPod Nano size). Once you get everythingset up with Alexa, the remote can be put away as it’s not needed at that point.

The image settings appear to reset themselveswhen you lose power (either power outage or unplugging it). I haven’t tested ita second time to confirm, but I did notice all my settings had been lostbetween my original setup and then looking into HDR issues. I had unplugged itonce during all that.
Livestrong Lance likes this.
post #161 of 228 Old 11-29-2018, 05:04 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpls1981 View Post
I’ve owned the projector for about a week and have beenplaying the settings and features and my insights and issues are below. I haveit mounted on the ceiling with a Sony receiver that is hooked up to Atmosspeakers and 4K is through Xbox One X. The receiver is also connected to a PS3.Previously I owned the Epson 5030 projector which I loved and will be using ascomparison. I had gone with that one because all the cheaper models I triedbefore it just didn’t produce a quality picture.

Setup:
This projector is definitely a no thrills kind of projector.It has very little in terms of useful features to help get it set up. You havefocus, zoom and a really bad keystone correction feature. All of which arephysically set. Using the same mount it took a great deal of trial and errorand lots of patience to get the image to sit on my screen correctly. I’destimate I was able to achieve 97-98% levelness. The keystone correction isjust a knob you turn left or right in a circle with no indicators on the projectorto help you know what would be the middle setting or even max and it was reallyjust hit or miss trying to get everything correct. The lens cover is also justa physical one that you’d have to take on and off as desired. Like the reviewssay, this is defiantly a projector that needs a mount. Setting it on a shelf ortable would only make it far more difficult to get the image set correctly
On the plus side, I was able to go from 110inches with theEpson to a full 120 inches with this one without moving my mount or screenlocations.

HDMI Cable/4K:
I’m still working on resolving this issue. I need about 43ftfor my setup. I was using a 50ft and confirmed the specs of the cable that itwould be able to handle a 4K image. I was able to get 1080p, but the Xboxrefused to let me switch to 4K. I had a spare 40ft and tried and failed with itas well. I then bought a new 50ft thinking my cable was perhaps too old and notable to handle it. It didn’t work either. At that point I plugged it in with a6ft cable that came with the Xbox. It worked, which meant the cables were theproblem. I then bought a 25ft cable with signal booster built in from a localMicrocenter store and it works perfectly, but it’s too short to keep on apermanent basis. I tried a random 75ft signal boosting cable (price and speedof delivery from Amazon is why 75ft) – it didn’t work. I tried buying a $20signal booster as well and it didn’t work at all, even when connected to the25ft cable (that works) and a 6ft cable (that works). I ordered a 50ft cablewith signal booster from the same maker of the one I’m using now. Hopefully itwill resolve the issue. Not sure if the projector is putting out a weak signalor just a bunch of poorly made HDMI cables that lose signal over the distance.I’ve connected directly to the Xbox to ensure it’s not having issues goingthrough the receiver as part of my troubleshooting as well.

Projector Settings:
Another weak point in this model is that the projector hasfew settings to tweak. Many of them are actually greyed out and I’ve yet tofigure out how to resolve that. HDR and 3D are two of settings that I cannotset at all. It seems to be a glitch within the projector itself that I’ve yetto find how to edit. I can be in a 3D movie or HDR 4K movie and switch over tosettings and the projector will turn off the 3D and HDR and the settings willremain greyed out and I'm stuck with the default settings.

Alexa:
I had some issues getting it setup like others as well. Myfirst try I was able to connect to Wi-Fi, but not Alexa; Second attempt Icouldn’t get Wi-Fi; Third attempt it worked as the directions said it shouldand in the 3 days since I’ve used Alexa to turn it on and off without issue.You can also change your inputs through Alexa and volume (if you use it). Youdo need to change your power settings as well to make Alexa work, so that maybe one issue you run into.

Image:
I was blown away by how much of a difference it is. I wasconcerned that it would be similar to 1080p projectors where the cheaper modelsproduce a poorer quality image. While that may be true and a more expensive 4Kprojector would be even better, I cannot complain about the quality of theimage either in brightness, colors or image quality in 1080p or 4K.

HDR:
I’ve been forced to turn HDR off. I’ve read a few articlesand some televisions and projectors apparently don’t handle HDR well and it’spossible that this is the problem. I used The Matrix for my HDR test. Theprojector ends up making the movie look like a really awful 1080p transfer. Itbecomes super dark, details are hidden and the image doesn’t even come close tolooking like it’s a 4K movie. Turning off HDR and the movie goes back tolooking like a stunning 4K movie. Like I mentioned above, I’m not able to tweakthe HDR settings in the projector and not sure if a solution is available as Ihaven’t spoken to Optima yet to see about it. Xbox just has HRD on or offoption. If anyone has suggestions or insight, please provide it.

3D:
The 3D is nothing short of phenomenal. The image is brightand colorful and I noticed no ghosting issues with any of the movies I triedout. The Epson 5030 had this issue a lot. Some movies would like amazing, whileothers would want me to just switch off the 3D (Godzilla for example). Theprojector does not come with any 3D glasses. I bought a pair off Amazon basedon what was the most popular that would work with this projector.

3D Issues:
3D also is one of the issues with the projector that I’vediscovered. The projector will detect a 3D disc in both the Xbox and PS3 andautomatically switch to 3D. You don’t have the option to turn it on or off likeyou can with the Epson 5030. For fans of movies with IMAX scenes, some of theBlu-rays only released them on the 3D disc and this makes it a bit moredifficult to watch them in 2D. My work around was to disable the 3D option onthe Xbox and force it into 2D. TRON: Legacy however would not play. It saysthat it didn’t detect a 3D capable TV and I was unable to bypass it on eitherthe Xbox or PS3. The projector itself won’t even let me force 3D on. If anyonehas experience an similar issue and found a solution, please let me know.

Noise:
The fan does make a noticeable sound in a completely quitesetting, but quickly fades away into the background when watching something.Because of the setup issues, I was forced to lower my mount and thus theprojector is closer to my ears so it is a bit more noticeable than the Epson5030.

Other Notes/Issues
Whenever the projector switches modes (1080p to 4K orbetween the Xbox and Projector Settings or even just starting a movie) it doestake 5-20 seconds to do so. The screen will go black and then it’ll say nosource found before showing the image again. It’s annoying for how slow it canbe, especially when trying to tweak settings to what you want and you’re goingback and forth often, but manageable overall.

The remote is tiny (iPod Nano size). Once you get everythingset up with Alexa, the remote can be put away as it’s not needed at that point.

The image settings appear to reset themselveswhen you lose power (either power outage or unplugging it). I haven’t tested ita second time to confirm, but I did notice all my settings had been lostbetween my original setup and then looking into HDR issues. I had unplugged itonce during all that.
Sorry for the awful copy and paste job
post #162 of 228 Old 11-29-2018, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:

Setup:

HDMI Cable/4K:

Projector Settings:

Alexa:

Image:

HDR:

3D:

3D Issues:

Noise:

Other Notes/Issues

I agreed with everything you said. My first time using it last night. I don't know why HDR is grey out and I noticed that on a different screen you can select HDR (auto) and if i do that, it seems whenever you pick a Netflix video that support HDR, it automatically play it without giving you a chance to read the description. I think this projector need a serious firmware update. The problem is I can't update it at all, it doesn't read my wifi for update....however on a different screen, it connected to the wifi...wtf? I am still testing things out at the moment. It has been amazing so far.
post #163 of 228 Old 11-29-2018, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reptilexcq View Post
I agreed with everything you said. My first time using it last night. I don't know why HDR is grey out and I noticed that on a different screen you can select HDR (auto) and if i do that, it seems whenever you pick a Netflix video that support HDR, it automatically play it without giving you a chance to read the description. I think this projector need a serious firmware update. The problem is I can't update it at all, it doesn't read my wifi for update....however on a different screen, it connected to the wifi...wtf? I am still testing things out at the moment. It has been amazing so far.
After reading of your problems with Tron 3D, I had to give it a go. I tried playing it on my Oppo 103D and all I got was a screen telling me I wasn't connected to the internet. I noticed the disk had selected VUDU on my player. I inserted my WIFI dongle and a page offering me free signup to VUDU appeared. The remote had no control over the player no matter which buttons I pushed. I opened the disk tray manually and shut the player down manually. A total disappointment. I tried my Samsung UHD 8500K, which is an old 4K player, but it has been a really good one. Nothing, literally nothing. A blank screen. I then took the disk down the hall to my "game" room and put it in a PS4 Pro PSVR set up and it played like a champ. I disconnected the PS4 Pro, carried it down to the UHD51ALV room and connected the PS4 to the 51ALV through the same old Yamaha RX-V383 (replacement arrives tomorrow) that the first two blu ray players run through and, man, did it ever play. The 3D was as good as any I've ever seen. More so on the Stranger Tides preview than Tron itself, which was excellent. At least in my case, it's the players, not the projector. I also have an XBOX One X but my results with it's blu ray playback, including 3D and 4K, have not been on par with my Oppos or the PS4's. It's great for gaming (better than the PS4 IMHO) but I don't use it much for blu ray playback. This may have recently been corrected by firmware upgrades.

HDMI cables. I bought three high dollar, 4K, 60 Hz, 15' cables that didn't work before I tried a very inexpensive Mediabridge that did. I don't envy you looking for a 50 ft cable. There has to be a board somewhere on this site that discusses long, thru the wall HDMI cables. Google it and see what you get.

Setup. My experience was totally different than yours, primarily because my setup is much simpler than yours. I placed my projector on top of a 27" file cabinet which I leveled before it arrived. It sets 10 ft away from a 100 inch pull down screen. I didn't screw down any of the projectors feet. The cabinet had already been aligned with the center of the screen. All I had to do was turn on the projector, call up the grid, lower the screen to the right height (no vertical keystone correction needed because everything is level), twist the projector a little to correct for horizontal keystone, slide it right or left to center the picture and insert a movie. 5 minutes at the most. I have a Yardmaster II 100" screen which I can hang from the ceiling via greenhouse light ratchet pulleys (that's really the name of them and they're 5 bucks a pair on Amazon) and I can set this thing up in two other rooms in less than 20 minutes, most of which is unfolding and setting up the screen. And I agree with you 100% on the lens shift, it's super cheesy. I'm afraid it will break if I use it. It may be easier to raise or lower your screen to correct keystone, if that's possible.

Remote. The trend with Optoma is the more you pay for the projector, the lousier the remote you get. This is a very small, black remote. Try finding that in a totally dark room. I use the remote from my Optoma GT5500+. Much bigger, better backlights, white in color, and most buttons correspond.

Menu. I downloaded the manual and memorized the menu before the projector arrived. That didn't help much. The more you use it, the more you realize how little control you have over this beast, and the simpler life becomes. Note that I didn't say better, I said simpler. Most of my problems have been between the Sim HDR mode and the Cinema mode. Some blu rays and dvds play with one but not the other. The movie Alpha is an example of this. I now try both modes to see which looks the best. If you see background flashing, colors which aren't quite right, or any small abnormality; go here first. I don't do 4K much so I can't say much about it. This beast up scales very well.

Alexa. I don't use it; I wish it wasn't there.

Just my two cents: Hope it helps.

Last edited by bjones8103; 11-30-2018 at 04:05 AM.
post #164 of 228 Old 11-30-2018, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
To those who have owned or have used the tk800. Is there a big difference? What do you guys think.
post #165 of 228 Old 11-30-2018, 09:16 AM

Quote:
I think the weird Wi-Fi was my issue as well. It does have multiple usb ports on the back and you need to make sure that it's in the right port - Alexa and normal wifi are different for some reason. The menu also seems to have two distinct locations for Wifi. I was able to pull it up on the third screen option (far right) and set up my wifi that way and then Alexa began working after that.
post #166 of 228 Old 11-30-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
After reading of your problems with Tron 3D, I had to give it a go. I tried playing it on my Oppo 103D and all I got was a screen telling me I wasn't connected to the internet. I noticed the disk had selected VUDU on my player. I inserted my WIFI dongle and a page offering me free signup to VUDU appeared. The remote had no control over the player no matter which buttons I pushed. I opened the disk tray manually and shut the player down manually. A total disappointment. I tried my Samsung UHD 8500K, which is an old 4K player, but it has been a really good one. Nothing, literally nothing. A blank screen. I then took the disk down the hall to my "game" room and put it in a PS4 Pro PSVR set up and it played like a champ. I disconnected the PS4 Pro, carried it down to the UHD51ALV room and connected the PS4 to the 51ALV through the same old Yamaha RX-V383 (replacement arrives tomorrow) that the first two blu ray players run through and, man, did it ever play. The 3D was as good as any I've ever seen. More so on the Stranger Tides preview than Tron itself, which was excellent. At least in my case, it's the players, not the projector. I also have an XBOX One X but my results with it's blu ray playback, including 3D and 4K, have not been on par with my Oppos or the PS4's. It's great for gaming (better than the PS4 IMHO) but I don't use it much for blu ray playback. This may have recently been corrected by firmware upgrades.

HDMI cables. I bought three high dollar, 4K, 60 Hz, 15' cables that didn't work before I tried a very inexpensive Mediabridge that did. I don't envy you looking for a 50 ft cable. There has to be a board somewhere on this site that discusses long, thru the wall HDMI cables. Google it and see what you get.

Setup. My experience was totally different than yours, primarily because my setup is much simpler than yours. I placed my projector on top of a 27" file cabinet which I leveled before it arrived. It sets 10 ft away from a 100 inch pull down screen. I didn't screw down any of the projectors feet. The cabinet had already been aligned with the center of the screen. All I had to do was turn on the projector, call up the grid, lower the screen to the right height (no vertical keystone correction needed because everything is level), twist the projector a little to correct for horizontal keystone, slide it right or left to center the picture and insert a movie. 5 minutes at the most. I have a Yardmaster II 100" screen which I can hang from the ceiling via greenhouse light ratchet pulleys (that's really the name of them and they're 5 bucks a pair on Amazon) and I can set this thing up in two other rooms in less than 20 minutes, most of which is unfolding and setting up the screen. And I agree with you 100% on the lens shift, it's super cheesy. I'm afraid it will break if I use it. It may be easier to raise or lower your screen to correct keystone, if that's possible.

Remote. The trend with Optoma is the more you pay for the projector, the lousier the remote you get. This is a very small, black remote. Try finding that in a totally dark room. I use the remote from my Optoma GT5500+. Much bigger, better backlights, white in color, and most buttons correspond.

Menu. I downloaded the manual and memorized the menu before the projector arrived. That didn't help much. The more you use it, the more you realize how little control you have over this beast, and the simpler life becomes. Note that I didn't say better, I said simpler. Most of my problems have been between the Sim HDR mode and the Cinema mode. Some blu rays and dvds play with one but not the other. The movie Alpha is an example of this. I now try both modes to see which looks the best. If you see background flashing, colors which aren't quite right, or any small abnormality; go here first. I don't do 4K much so I can't say much about it. This beast up scales very well.

Alexa. I don't use it; I wish it wasn't there.

Just my two cents: Hope it helps.

I'll have to try turning the internet back on with the Xbox One X and seeing if TRON 3D works. I turned it off because I can't stand the forced advertisements on the dashboard and while it would be odd that internet makes a difference, I wouldn't rule it out either. I went with the Xbox for my 4K player over a dedicated 4K player because I wanted a media server (to replace my PS3) and the ability to play 4K discs (PS4 can't and it's media player is utter sh*t). I also decided the Xbox would be better for future updates as they are more likely to be applied than a dedicated player which may or may not get updates. Overall I'm okay with the Xbox so far. I've also tried a series of combinations with the cords and settings between my audio receiver, Xbox and Projector but can't seem to find any combo that resolves the issues with that and HDR.

I found some settings on Projector Reviews and used those for my setup. I went with the Reference mode over Cinema or HDR Sim. I'd still like to know how you're expected to make your settings for HDR and 3D when you can't even select them. It does seem odd that you have all these settings that you can't even pick or at least some HDR that works. The Epson 5030 would just pop a screen over whatever your watching and let you fiddle with the settings without ever having to exit what you're doing and go to a dedicated screen. It's remote was also a massive beast, but it was backlight so it helped locate it.

I'm hoping to get a chance to call Optoma today after work and see if there's some stupid thing that we just haven't discovered that is preventing it. My new HDMI cable arrives today as well, so fingers crossed. I had read up on the cables awhile back, might be time to refresh my memory if this one doesn't work.
post #167 of 228 Old 11-30-2018, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

This came in today. My daughter did a little dance she was so excited to see Polar Express in 3D. I’m excited too. Anyone else using those glasses?

post #168 of 228 Old 11-30-2018, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock24 View Post
This came in today. My daughter did a little dance she was so excited to see Polar Express in 3D. I’m excited too. Anyone else using those glasses?
I don't own these glasses, but should be okay. Make sure they are fully charged first. Also, beware of the eye spacing of your daughter and make sure the distance objects on the screen are not farther apart than that (L and R eye spacing). Kids have a hard time with 3D because it tends to pull their eyes side to side. Adults can handle it somewhat. Sometimes the 3D eye separation can be adjusted in the bluray player 3D options, or in the settings where it asks you the size of the screen. Try increasing or reducing the size of the screen until you get the right spacing (go up to the screen and measure the separation of objects that should be at infinity as in a long distance street or landscape scene. This can be a big problem with projectors and kids that most people overlook.

Usually not a problem with living room TVs because of the smaller size.
Gamecock24 and BattleAxeVR like this.
post #169 of 228 Old 11-30-2018, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

Optoma UHD51ALV

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DBob View Post
I don't own these glasses, but should be okay. Make sure they are fully charged first. Also, beware of the eye spacing of your daughter and make sure the distance objects on the screen are not farther apart than that (L and R eye spacing). Kids have a hard time with 3D because it tends to pull their eyes side to side. Adults can handle it somewhat. Sometimes the 3D eye separation can be adjusted in the bluray player 3D options, or in the settings where it asks you the size of the screen. Try increasing or reducing the size of the screen until you get the right spacing (go up to the screen and measure the separation of objects that should be at infinity as in a long distance street or landscape scene. This can be a big problem with projectors and kids that most people overlook.

Usually not a problem with living room TVs because of the smaller size.

I’ll be using an Oppo UDP 203 to play the disc and I’ve never used it for 3D so I may need to play with that. My wife also complains about 3D so maybe changing those settings will help her out.

As far measuring the separation on an infinity scene should the objects be further apart or close together? I never looked for that with my old 3D Samsung TV.

Last edited by Gamecock24; 11-30-2018 at 03:19 PM.
post #170 of 228 Old 11-30-2018, 04:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock24 View Post
I’ll be using an Oppo UDP 203 to play the disc and I’ve never used it for 3D so I may need to play with that. My wife also complains about 3D so maybe changing those settings will help her out.

As far measuring the separation on an infinity scene should the objects be further apart or close together? I never looked for that with my old 3D Samsung TV.

Objects that are at infinity, should be no further apart than the measured gap between the left eye and the right eye--typically 2.5 inches or less. Objects closer to you will be closer together. Objects that come through the screen window into your room space will actually be crosseyed--ie. the right eye will see the 3D object on the left and the left eye will see the 3D object on the right. Objects that are at the window will be overlapped with little separation.
post #171 of 228 Old 11-30-2018, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

Well I didn’t get a chance to measure the object distance since my daughter was so excited to watch the movie we just put and enjoyed it. The 3D was amazing. It’s been a while since I’ve watched a 3D movie but it was great. I don’t know how Polar Express compares to other 3D movies but it was cool. I hope the other 3D movies I have look just as good.

post #172 of 228 Old 11-30-2018, 09:51 PM

Back to the drawing board. The 50 ft cable from the same company as the 25 ft cable that I'm currently using was even worse than the others. Only gave a 480p signal.

Spoke to Optoma briefly as well about the issue with settings greyed out. Basically tried to blame everything but their projector for the issue.
post #173 of 228 Old 11-30-2018, 11:20 PM

Did you guys get the Alexa app in the App tab? I am not seeing it. I was able to get wifi and register and that's it. But no Alexa app on the application menu....what's going on?

Also, I am not getting Wifi internet and I can't do an firmware update. However, on another tab, it says my wifi is connected. Go figure!

Last edited by reptilexcq; 12-01-2018 at 12:13 AM.
post #174 of 228 Old 12-01-2018, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Back to the drawing board. The 50 ft cable from the same company as the 25 ft cable that I'm currently using was even worse than the others. Only gave a 480p signal.

Spoke to Optoma briefly as well about the issue with settings greyed out. Basically tried to blame everything but their projector for the issue.
I've thought from the beginning the settings were grayed out by design. They are not available in that particular mode. You were right about the the reference mode. I watched various scenes from Thor: Ragnarok (flat version) and liked it.
post #175 of 228 Old 12-01-2018, 07:17 AM

Quote:

Go here and check this out. 990 posts, there has to be something you can use: UHD Blu-ray and Long HDMI cables - what works !

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/168-h...hat-works.html
post #176 of 228 Old 12-01-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Did you guys get the Alexa app in the App tab? I am not seeing it. I was able to get wifi and register and that's it. But no Alexa app on the application menu....what's going on?

Also, I am not getting Wifi internet and I can't do an firmware update. However, on another tab, it says my wifi is connected. Go figure!
Under the second tab - Application - should be Smart Home. Though under your Network settings on the third tab you need to go Network Settings>Projector Control Settings>Projector Control Functions and turn on Smart Home.

Even with my Wi-Fi connected and Smart Home working, I can't get the System Update to turn on. I'm sure Optoma would try to blame my Wi-Fi for the issue.
post #177 of 228 Old 12-01-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Go here and check this out. 990 posts, there has to be something you can use: UHD Blu-ray and Long HDMI cables - what works !

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/168-h...hat-works.html
I read up on that and did some googling and went with a fiber HDMI cable. It'll be here Tuesday so hoping it works. I hate having a cord running across my floor.
post #178 of 228 Old 12-01-2018, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

This is the fiber cable I bought that solved my lack of HDR. There Chinese or something written all over the box but it works. 50ft cable is available.
Fiber Optic HDMI Cable 25FT - ARC HDMI2.0 18Gpbs [email protected] 4:4:4 - PET Braided Cord and Gold Plated Connector ¨C Support 4K, UHD 2160p, HD 1080p, 3D, Xbox 360, PS4, Computer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H4GL3RW..._IXSaCbWED7R9B

post #179 of 228 Old 12-01-2018, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Under the second tab - Application - should be Smart Home. Though under your Network settings on the third tab you need to go Network Settings>Projector Control Settings>Projector Control Functions and turn on Smart Home.

Even with my Wi-Fi connected and Smart Home working, I can't get the System Update to turn on. I'm sure Optoma would try to blame my Wi-Fi for the issue.
I do have Smart Home app (I believe this app replaced the Alexa app) that came out earlier. But again still can't update firmware. Maybe one need to plug a wifi ubs adapter on a different usb port instead of the Alexa port.
post #180 of 228 Old 12-02-2018, 02:19 PM

Anyone getting a disconnection while playing game? For example, i was playing Xbox One X in HDR mode and then at any time in the game (maybe a cutscene)...the game disconnected and showing nothing on the screen...and a few seconds later, it shows up again with the display on top left showing it is running as HDR. It does this once awhile. Anyone getting the same problem? I know it's probably something to do with the game not showing fully HDR at any moment in the game? I am not sure. Nothing like this happened while watching movies in HDR though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page