Forum Jump: 
 43Likes

Old 09-08-2018, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 29
New Optoma UHD51ALV

Announced at CEDIA - Looks to compete with Benq TK800 with RGBWRGBW color wheel for more lumens. Should be great for watching sports with some ambient light.

Voice Assistant-Compatible 4K UHD Projector
UHD51ALV
Works with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant
4K UHD, bright 3,000 lumens and RGBWRGBW color wheel
HDR10 support for brighter whites, deeper black levels and vivid colors
4K video playback with the integrated USB media player
Dynamic Black delivers 500,000:1 contrast ratio for exceptional black levels
HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2 connectivity ensures compatibility with 4K UHD video sources
Vertical lens shift and 1.3x zoom for easy installation
Voice assistant-compatible projector for lights-on viewing
Enjoy lights-on viewing and taking control via voice commands with the 4K UHD, 3,000 lumen Optoma UHD51ALV. Compatibility with Amazon Echo and Google Assistant devices enables easy integration into smart homes regardless of the preferred voice assistant.

Use voice commands to power the projector on and off, change volume, change input source and control the USB media player. Additionally, the UHD51ALV utilizes the latest Texas Instruments™️ 4K UHD DLP chipset capable of displaying 8.3-million simultaneous distinct pixels at screen sizes 140 inches and higher.

A pair of HDMI 2.0 inputs with HDCP 2.2 support, HDR compatibility and wide color gamut ensure 4K device compatibility, rich lifelike color and contrast for immersive experiences. A 1.3x optical zoom and 15% vertical lens shift provide installation flexibility.

Last edited by jjsaustin; 09-08-2018 at 09:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2018, 03:16 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Essential to upgrade over the 51A?

Is the only upgrade over the 51A the enhanced Amazon Echo features and the bump to 3k lumens?? Do I need this since I have a 100% light controlled environment?

I just bought the 51A and still have a few weeks to return if need be.

Thanks much, Daniel
Old 09-08-2018, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 3579 Post(s)
Liked: 2769
@Daniel_M6 , the ALV model adds white (clear) segments to the color wheel to produce more maximum lumens for a brighter image to overcome ambient light. The white segments in the color wheel produce brighter whites on the screen but color lumens are actually reduced from what is produced by the RGBRGB segments of the A model's color wheel. In a light controlled environment RGBRGB color wheels like the A model has are generally preferred for the best balanced image.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2018, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
@Daniel_M6 , the ALV model adds white (clear) segments to the color wheel to produce more maximum lumens for a brighter image to overcome ambient light. The white segments in the color wheel produce brighter whites on the screen but color lumens are actually reduced from what is produced by the RGBRGB segments of the A model's color wheel. In a light controlled environment RGBRGB color wheels like the A model has are generally preferred for the best balanced image.
Thanks a million, Dave. So glad to hear it.
Old 09-08-2018, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_M6 View Post
Is the only upgrade over the 51A the enhanced Amazon Echo features and the bump to 3k lumens?? Do I need this since I have a 100% light controlled environment?

I just bought the 51A and still have a few weeks to return if need be.

Thanks much, Daniel
I would say it depends if you watch more sports or movies. This projector would likely do better on sports where the bright whites will really pop.
Old 09-08-2018, 04:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsaustin View Post
I would say it depends if you watch more sports or movies. This projector would likely do better on sports where the bright whites will really pop.
In a light controlled room it's usually not necessary to pump up whites over colors even for sports viewing because, outside of ice hockey, sports events typically have far more areas of color than whites. The comparison review on projectorcentral.com of two otherwise identical projectors, one with an RGBRGB color wheel and the other RGBW, does a good job of describing the tradeoffs:

projectorcentral.com/ViewSonic-PX747-4K-review.htm
Old 09-08-2018, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

I had both the BenQ TK800 and it's RBGRGB twin HT2550 side by side. Even in a light controlled room, I definitely preferred the TK800 for sports.

Last edited by jjsaustin; 09-08-2018 at 11:46 PM.
Old 09-08-2018, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked: 106
The 3d should be brighter due to th3 increase in lumen at 3,000 vs 2500 from the older model
Old 09-08-2018, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraflexed View Post
The 3d should be brighter due to th3 increase in lumen at 3,000 vs 2500 from the older model
The added brightness should help with HDR as well
Old 09-08-2018, 08:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Of course there will be some who for various reasons value brighter whites at the expense of less bright colors. We're not all alike and one size doesn't fit all.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 14
**** i already have UHD51A .. i would advise people to wait and get UHD51ALV to have more bightness.

UHD51A is not bright enough.
robbynaish likes this.
Old 09-09-2018, 12:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 216
15% vertical lens shift I'm guessing not enough for a CIH setup?
Old 09-09-2018, 02:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
Any chance this new 8 segment RGBWRGBW color wheel will have less negative effect on color lumens compared to the 6 segment(RGBCMY, RGBCYW etc) non RGBRGB cw's? That one seems to be more similar to RGBRGB, just with added white segments, hence 8 segments compared to usual 6. At the very least it should have less rainbow effect compared to those slower color wheels.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by perkele View Post
Any chance this new 8 segment RGBWRGBW color wheel will have less negative effect on color lumens compared to the 6 segment(RGBCMY, RGBCYW etc) non RGBRGB cw's? That one seems to be more similar to RGBRGB, just with added white segments, hence 8 segments compared to usual 6. At the very least it should have less rainbow effect compared to those slower color wheels.
The UHD51ALV has the same wattage bulb and spec'd with the same 3000 lumens as the UHD60, the only difference being the 8 segment RGBWRGBW vs the 5 segment RGBCY color wheel. It will be interesting to see how much is devoted to the clear segment.

For comparison purposes, the Benq TK800 has a much smaller wattage bulb, but spec'd at a higher lumen rating than the UHD51ALV. Based on specs alone, this would lead you to believe that the TK800 has a larger clear segment.

I would like to see these two projectors in a shootout.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perkele View Post
Not all color wheel segments are the same size, so it really depends on the percentage of the color wheel that's white (clear) instead of RGB. The clear segments only add white brightness, and the percentage of the total wheel segment area they take away from RGB determines how much color brightness is lost.

The one thing having RGBWRGBW has over RGBW color wheels is that by flashing R, G and B twice for each revolution you effectively double the color wheel speed. Current RGBW color wheels are 2X so the RGBWRGBW color wheel will be 4X. This reduces the potential for seeing rainbows. Any color wheel with only a single set of RGB segments is considered 2X and more susceptible to producing rainbows.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I would be leery of the improved brightness of this vs the UHD51A. They have only added a white segment to the wheel which will worsen blacks similar to the difference between the Viewsonic PX747-4K and the PX727.

It was not on display at CEDIA but they did have the UHD51A and I thought it looked quite nice...

Robert Clark

Last edited by Robert Clark; 09-09-2018 at 08:22 AM.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:37 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 292
I wish they'd focus more on reducing input lag to 1080p-levels (33ms, 16ms or even 8.3 ms these days).

At least with XPR 4K projectors, you have a choice between 1080p 120hz and 4K 60, to use depending on your content (fast games vs slow games and 24p movies and TV shows).

Also, I can't for the life of me understand why they can't add a P3 filter similar to JVC models which lose only 20% of lumens and then deliver a full 4K HDR + WCG experience. Cinema filters for Epson projectors are ridiculously cheap.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked: 1240
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmus View Post
**** i already have UHD51A .. i would advise people to wait and get UHD51ALV to have more bightness.

UHD51A is not bright enough.
It really depends what you are watching. For movies the UHD51A is going to be a better experience IMO. If you watch primarily movies and yours isn't bright enough you'd probably be better off getting a higher gain screen than a UHD51ALV.

For sports or video games, some may appreciate the "pop" the UHD51ALV provides at the expense of color, since for those activities many might find color less important and overall brightness most important.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Clark View Post
I would be leery of the improved brightness of this vs the UHD51A. They have only added a white segment to the wheel which will worsen blacks similar to the difference between the Viewsonic PX747-4K and the PX727.

It was not on display at CEDIA but they did have the UHD51A and I thought it looked quite nice...
When watching sports there are much more "whites" than "blacks" so the black level is 'almost' irrelevant.

Think of it, one team is predominately white, the field markings are white, and in the case of hockey or snow sports the picture is dominated by white.

When I had the two BenQ projectors side by side, the white from the HT2550 looked dull and grey compared to the TK800 which just looked much more vivid.

It's kinda like the "tissue test" for your teeth... most people's teeth will look yellow compared to a white tissue.

Obviously, if you only watch movies, the brighter whites are not as important. If you have some ambient light or watch sports this could be a great option.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1057 Post(s)
Liked: 566
I have the Benq TK800, which is similar to the UHD51ALV I believe, though haven't seen any specs on it yet. That said, I have 160" screen and need the extra brightness, and it's great for brighter 3D as well. From that perspective of having a much larger screen, you will never need to go to a theater as you already have a theater-sized screen to watch. If you are expecting the same image as the UHD51A, you will probably be disappointed, but only if you see a side-by-side comparison. As always, it's perception in the eye of the viewer rather than truth....

If you are sports a nut and want some lights on and do projector watching in your living room, I'd say the UHD51ALV will be a sound decision as is the Benq TK800 for such an environment.
Old 09-09-2018, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
When watching sports there are much more "whites" than "blacks" so the black level is 'almost' irrelevant.

Think of it, one team is predominately white, the field markings are white, and in the case of hockey or snow sports the picture is dominated by white.

When I had the two BenQ projectors side by side, the white from the HT2550 looked dull and grey compared to the TK800 which just looked much more vivid.

It's kinda like the "tissue test" for your teeth... most people's teeth will look yellow compared to a white tissue.

Obviously, if you only watch movies, the brighter whites are not as important. If you have some ambient light or watch sports this could be a great option.
I'm totally agree with you. In Europe the tk800 is about 1100 euro, so much more cheaper than Optoma.
I would use for film and 3d. No sport.
But my room is dark only in night and wall are white, for this I was thinking about this new version of Optoma or the tk800. I even will use during daylight

Thanks
Old 09-09-2018, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DBob View Post
I have the Benq TK800, which is similar to the UHD51ALV I believe, though haven't seen any specs on it yet. That said, I have 160" screen and need the extra brightness, and it's great for brighter 3D as well. From that perspective of having a much larger screen, you will never need to go to a theater as you already have a theater-sized screen to watch. If you are expecting the same image as the UHD51A, you will probably be disappointed, but only if you see a side-by-side comparison. As always, it's perception in the eye of the viewer rather than truth....

If you are sports a nut and want some lights on and do projector watching in your living room, I'd say the UHD51ALV will be a sound decision as is the Benq TK800 for such an environment.
I agree with your post except I would say if you watch more sports OR have ambient light....

This won't be a big of a light canon as the TK800 (which is a 'home entertainment' projector). I really liked the TK800, but the throw was just too long for my setup.

The UHD51ALV could be a nice option between a 'home theater' projector and a 'home entertainment' projector.

I can't wait for some expert reviews.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Let's get one thing out of the way. It's misleading to assume that the projector model that works best for some is the best choice for everyone else. It just doesn't work that way. Viewing conditions and personal preferences are way too varied for one size to fit all. The DLP models with white color wheel segments are all marketed and advertised for bright room use. The extra white lumens can also be useful for 3D and UHD. But this absolutely comes at the price of reduced color brightness. This is the formula traditionally used for DLP business projectors optimized for displaying spreadsheets and other primarily black and white documents in conference rooms with lights on. These white segment models are essentially business/home video crossovers.

In an image with minimal white area the models with RGBRGB color wheels are actually going to be brighter overall because the models with white segments have smaller color segments. And, for example, some (like me) prefer viewing sports with a balance of equally bright colors and whites like the ones they actually see when attending a sports event. It's great that we have a choice between two different options with a different balance of pros and cons. But each person needs to do their own diligent homework and understand exactly what they're gaining and losing by picking one model over the other.
MBullen and Daniel_M6 like this.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

And I quote myself: "As always, it's perception in the eye of the viewer rather than truth..."

No one should buy a projector without seeing it first, no one, not ever, ever, ever...but, we do it all the time based on reviews, other views, experiencial views. It's never going to end the madness of everyone trying to guess if this is the right one for them or not...and I must say, Amazon is really getting tired of it....
Old 09-09-2018, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@3DBob , all good points. It can be especially hazardous putting too much weight on the opinions of the most hyper-enthusiastic forum members. I'm pretty resistant to the siren calls of marketing mavens. But I recall one time on AVS Forum where one forum member was so over-the-moon enthusiastic about a particular item that I found myself lusting after it. Only after an extended discussion where others with their feet more firmly planted on the ground offered more objective assessments did I realize that this miracle product would not have been as good for me as what I already had. Sometimes overly enthusiastic forum members can be more misleading than the most deceptive marketers.
3DBob and Calibratedlumens like this.
Old 09-09-2018, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DBob View Post

3DBob,

Did you compare the TK800 to the UHD60? I can't seem to find a comparison anywhere. I need a projector for ambient light and right now the contenders are the TK800 and the UHD60. Curious how this one will compare as well.
Old 09-10-2018, 05:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garetjaxor View Post
3DBob,

Did you compare the TK800 to the UHD60? I can't seem to find a comparison anywhere. I need a projector for ambient light and right now the contenders are the TK800 and the UHD60. Curious how this one will compare as well.
No I did not compare the two. I have seen the UHD65, and it has a nice picture, but definitely a dark room projector vs. the TK800.

Check out these two reviews. They do not compare both, but give you some insight into the performance of both:
https://www.projectorreviews.com/opt...ison-to-uhd65/ Compares the UHD60 to the UHD65.
https://www.projectorreviews.com/ben...ojector-Review

I'm not saying these are the best and most honest reviews, just that they have a lot of data to help you make a decision.

If you want a bright projector that also does 3D, the TK800 has that, the UHD60 does not have 3D options.
Old 09-10-2018, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter

Does the UHD60 or the TK800 have frame interpolation?

According to the specs, the UHD51ALV should have frame interpolation and 3D.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:

The UHD60 doesn't have frame interpolation. The UHD51ALV should have both features but not "at the same time".

Display: Optoma UHD51A Projector > Elite Screens R135WH1 ezFrame | 7.2.4 Audio: Onkyo TX-RZ920 9.2ch Network A/V Receiver, M-5010 2ch Amplifier; Definitive Technology ProCenter 2000, ProMonitor 1000(x10), SuperCube I & 4000 | Sources: PC, DirecTV, Apple 4K, Fire Stick 4K, Oppo UDP-203, Chromecast & Roku Ultras, Xbox One X, PlayStation 4 Pro & Nintendo Switch | Remote: Harmony Elite | HDMI: 40' Monoprice DynamicView+4x1 Switch
Old 09-10-2018, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Neither has Frame Interpolation. The UHD51ALV should have as the UHD51a has it. However it does not work when 3D is activated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement