Lots of reading - still cannot decide for the right Projector - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes
  • 1 Post By rekbones
  • 1 Post By Borgqueenx
  • 1 Post By rekbones
  • 2 Post By rekbones
  • 1 Post By gibson61
  • 1 Post By yakapo
  • 1 Post By yakapo
  • 1 Post By indio22
  • 1 Post By Dave in Green
  • 1 Post By 3DBob
  • 1 Post By rekbones
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 10-08-2018, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
HDMII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Question Lots of reading - still cannot decide for the right Projector

Hi Folks,


I´m searching for a Full HD projector that will work "best" during daylight indoor conditions (it will be solely used to watch movies in the living room). Could anyone recommend me a projector that will perform not so bad under those conditions? I´m looking into Optoma, benQ and Epson but there´s a plethora of models and I must confess that I´m totally out of my element here . Budget ceiling is around EUR 1.5k.


p.s. I currently own an Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350 (link below).


https://www.amazon.com/Epson-PowerLi.../dp/B0044UHJWY


Thanks in advance


Best regards,


HDMII.

Sony AF9 - 55"
Panasonic UB824
Hama Premium HDMI cable
HDMII is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 Old 10-09-2018, 02:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rekbones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somers, CT
Posts: 3,038
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked: 510
No projector will work well in too much ambient light so its always a compromise. The Epson 3700 is most likely the brightest home theater grade projector as only business class projectors can get significantly brighter but also severely compromise black level to do it. Work on controlling the amount of ambient light hitting the screen is the only sure way of watching low contrast movies in the daytime.
HDMII likes this.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
rekbones is offline  
post #3 of 21 Old 10-09-2018, 03:24 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
HDMII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
No projector will work well in too much ambient light so its always a compromise. The Epson 3700 is most likely the brightest home theater grade projector as only business class projectors can get significantly brighter but also severely compromise black level to do it. Work on controlling the amount of ambient light hitting the screen is the only sure way of watching low contrast movies in the daytime.

Thanks for the info. Quick question: would I notice a significant improvement from my current EPSON 8350 given the higher ANSI lumens (2000 > 3000) and contrast ratio (50,000:1 > 70,000:1)? I have no idea how an extra 1000 ANSI lumens and higher contrast ratio would affect the image in real life.

Sony AF9 - 55"
Panasonic UB824
Hama Premium HDMI cable
HDMII is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 21 Old 10-09-2018, 04:18 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMII View Post
Thanks for the info. Quick question: would I notice a significant improvement from my current EPSON 8350 given the higher ANSI lumens (2000 > 3000) and contrast ratio (50,000:1 > 70,000:1)? I have no idea how an extra 1000 ANSI lumens and higher contrast ratio would affect the image in real life.
just be careful with extra lumens, and research what kind of color wheel it has. if it has white on the color wheel (instead of red green blue to make white) then you are sacrificing color quality for more brightness.
HDMII likes this.
Borgqueenx is offline  
post #5 of 21 Old 10-09-2018, 05:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rekbones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somers, CT
Posts: 3,038
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borgqueenx View Post
just be careful with extra lumens, and research what kind of color wheel it has. if it has white on the color wheel (instead of red green blue to make white) then you are sacrificing color quality for more brightness.
This is only valid for single chip DLP as all the Epson projectors are LCD and have no color wheel.
HDMII likes this.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
rekbones is offline  
post #6 of 21 Old 10-09-2018, 05:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rekbones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somers, CT
Posts: 3,038
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMII View Post
Thanks for the info. Quick question: would I notice a significant improvement from my current EPSON 8350 given the higher ANSI lumens (2000 > 3000) and contrast ratio (50,000:1 > 70,000:1)? I have no idea how an extra 1000 ANSI lumens and higher contrast ratio would affect the image in real life.
I don't know the exact numbers but I doubt the 8350 puts more then a 1000 lumens with a new lamp calibrated. The 3700 is very close to its rated output and should make a very significant difference with the 5000+ hour lamps that are under $100 msrp and Sharper with better contrast.
HDMII and dreamer like this.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
rekbones is offline  
post #7 of 21 Old 10-09-2018, 05:50 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I own the 8350 back when it came out. A nice Projector in the proper dark room. But Living Rooms are just not a great place for Front Projection IMHO. You can never get the great contrast a FP needs to look good even a JVC the king of contrast will look bad. I would get the largest OLED you can afford unless you can make the room totaly black. Even then one needs black ceilings and dark capet ' walls ect to get that great contrast.
HDMII likes this.
gibson61 is online now  
post #8 of 21 Old 10-09-2018, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
HDMII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
I don't know the exact numbers but I doubt the 8350 puts more then a 1000 lumens with a new lamp calibrated. The 3700 is very close to its rated output and should make a very significant difference with the 5000+ hour lamps that are under $100 msrp and Sharper with better contrast.

I´m sold, EPSON 3700 it is. Thanks for the help rekbones, much appreciated .

Sony AF9 - 55"
Panasonic UB824
Hama Premium HDMI cable
HDMII is offline  
post #9 of 21 Old 10-09-2018, 06:30 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
This is only valid for single chip DLP as all the Epson projectors are LCD and have no color wheel.
Yeah true, this does not apply to epson projectors.
Borgqueenx is offline  
post #10 of 21 Old 10-09-2018, 02:52 PM
Member
 
yakapo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 199
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
No projector will work well in too much ambient light so its always a compromise. The Epson 3700 is most likely the brightest home theater grade projector as only business class projectors can get significantly brighter but also severely compromise black level to do it. Work on controlling the amount of ambient light hitting the screen is the only sure way of watching low contrast movies in the daytime.
After many hours of research, I bought the 3700. The image looks great with the blinds closed. It is perfect for social gatherings where you need a little ambient light. There’s no point in spending extra for a 5040 when you are just putting it in a living room with white walls and white ceilings. IMO, the 3100/3700 are the best projectors for a living room.
HDMII likes this.
yakapo is offline  
post #11 of 21 Old 10-10-2018, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
HDMII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakapo View Post
After many hours of research, I bought the 3700. The image looks great with the blinds closed. It is perfect for social gatherings where you need a little ambient light. There’s no point in spending extra for a 5040 when you are just putting it in a living room with white walls and white ceilings. IMO, the 3100/3700 are the best projectors for a living room.

Thanks for the input!

Sony AF9 - 55"
Panasonic UB824
Hama Premium HDMI cable
HDMII is offline  
post #12 of 21 Old 10-10-2018, 06:10 AM
Senior Member
 
indio22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Chicagoland area
Posts: 475
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakapo View Post
After many hours of research, I bought the 3700. The image looks great with the blinds closed. It is perfect for social gatherings where you need a little ambient light. There’s no point in spending extra for a 5040 when you are just putting it in a living room with white walls and white ceilings. IMO, the 3100/3700 are the best projectors for a living room.
How is the focus on your 3700? I tried a 3100 but could not get the upper/middle and lower parts of the screen focused at the same time. If setting best focus on text in the middle of the screen, the lower Windows task bar and date text was blurry. Measured and tried everything to alleviate to no avail. Perhaps I had a bad unit that was out of alignment or something.
indio22 is offline  
post #13 of 21 Old 10-10-2018, 10:30 AM
Member
 
yakapo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 199
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by indio22 View Post
How is the focus on your 3700? I tried a 3100 but could not get the upper/middle and lower parts of the screen focused at the same time. If setting best focus on text in the middle of the screen, the lower Windows task bar and date text was blurry. Measured and tried everything to alleviate to no avail. Perhaps I had a bad unit that was out of alignment or something.
Look through the menu, there might be some sort of panel alignment in there. I vaguely remember seeing it. To answer your question, mine is just fine.
yakapo is offline  
post #14 of 21 Old 10-10-2018, 10:38 AM
Member
 
yakapo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 199
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMII View Post
Thanks for the input!
You’re welcome!

On a different subject, yesterday I tried various types of Carl’s screen samples. The lighter greys reduced the brightness of the whites and the bright white made the black look washed out. I had my wife helping to see which screen color would work best. We have decided to just project on to the wall. I’m sure everyone else will think I’m crazy, but we really tried them all.
HDMII likes this.
yakapo is offline  
post #15 of 21 Old 10-10-2018, 11:56 AM
Senior Member
 
indio22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Chicagoland area
Posts: 475
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakapo View Post
Look through the menu, there might be some sort of panel alignment in there. I vaguely remember seeing it. To answer your question, mine is just fine.
Thanks, I had tried the panel alignment functions, but that did not resolve the focus issue. One thing I had noticed was on the displayed panel alignment grid, the lines near the bottom were thicker, but there was nothing I could do to make them thinner. I do think on my particular model, there was some optical alignment issue. Because I was able to set focus for the lower part of the image and achieve a decent though not perfect focus, but it was at the expense of the middle/upper part of the image. That indicates something in the optics maybe was out of alignment, not in plane or something. I imagine that occurs sometimes with any projector given they can be a bit delicate and lots of things need to align perfectly. And who knows what happens in shipping - the box I got had several dents.
HDMII likes this.
indio22 is offline  
post #16 of 21 Old 10-10-2018, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dave in Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 8,106
Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3676 Post(s)
Liked: 2879
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakapo View Post
You’re welcome!

On a different subject, yesterday I tried various types of Carl’s screen samples. The lighter greys reduced the brightness of the whites and the bright white made the black look washed out. I had my wife helping to see which screen color would work best. We have decided to just project on to the wall. I’m sure everyone else will think I’m crazy, but we really tried them all.
You aren't crazy. That's the way grey and white screens work. They are passive devices that can't really change the contrast they receive from the projector. They just darken or lighten the entire image depending on how grey or white the screen material is. For example, a .8 gain grey screen will reflect 80% of projector lumens and make whites, blacks and everything in between 80% as bright as a 1.0 gain white screen that reflects 100% of projector lumens.
HDMII likes this.
Dave in Green is offline  
post #17 of 21 Old 10-10-2018, 02:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
3DBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Southeastern Michigan
Posts: 2,414
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1072 Post(s)
Liked: 569
I might add with Dave's comments, that grey screens also help absorb ambient light and therefore help maintain contrast. They are good in a room with some lights on and a bright projector. Grey screens help if a projector has whiter whites, thus when black is reduced, the increased whites give a sense of better contrast. Projectors with whiter whites are those with a white segment added to the color segments such as the Benq TK800 with it's RGBW wheel. For projectors that have no extra white segment, then a matte white is probably the best choice.
HDMII likes this.
3DBob is offline  
post #18 of 21 Old 10-13-2018, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
HDMII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Hi All,

I was about to add the EPSON 3700 to my shopping cart and saw there´s a wireless version of it. Since my current projector stays around 4-5m away from the wall, would this be a better option to avoid the routing mess and extra long HDMI cable I currently have? Any experience with the wireless version performance wise?

Also, could anyone please recommend me a good ceiling mount which has an extension pole? I´m not sure the current one will be compatible the EPSON 3700.

Last but not least, does the EPSON 3700 (not wireless) come with 3D glasses?


Thanks in advance!

HDMII.

Sony AF9 - 55"
Panasonic UB824
Hama Premium HDMI cable

Last edited by HDMII; 10-13-2018 at 10:36 PM.
HDMII is offline  
post #19 of 21 Old 10-14-2018, 12:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rekbones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somers, CT
Posts: 3,038
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked: 510
The 3700 doesn't have as much placement flexibility as the 8350 but unless your at the extreme end of its range the 3700 should be able to use the same mount. As far as wireless if your current cable works well then I would't use wireless as it works ok but not as reliable as a cable. I don't think it comes with glasses but not sure but the generic brand of the Bluetooth glasses are fairly inexpensive.
HDMII likes this.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
rekbones is offline  
post #20 of 21 Old 10-15-2018, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
HDMII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
The 3700 doesn't have as much placement flexibility as the 8350 but unless your at the extreme end of its range the 3700 should be able to use the same mount. As far as wireless if your current cable works well then I would't use wireless as it works ok but not as reliable as a cable. I don't think it comes with glasses but not sure but the generic brand of the Bluetooth glasses are fairly inexpensive.
Thanks once more mate!

Sony AF9 - 55"
Panasonic UB824
Hama Premium HDMI cable
HDMII is offline  
post #21 of 21 Old 10-17-2018, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
HDMII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Hi Folks,

I´m going to pick-up my EPSON 6700W (German article code) tomorrow morning and I would like to order some air filters as well. The problem is that I can only find article code ELPAF38 here in Germany. Is the ELPAF38 compatible?

ELPAF39 (which is nowhere to be found)

https://www.epson.de/products/option...f39-v13h134a39

Thanks!

Sony AF9 - 55"
Panasonic UB824
Hama Premium HDMI cable
HDMII is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off