Help with 4k projector selection - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-19-2018, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Help with 4k projector selection

I have an existing home theater setup that has been lying dormant for more than a year. I initially set it up with a 140 inch screen that was on rollers that I could move into place since there was a door in the middle of the wall.
I HAD a JVC RS 46 projector that I purchased used from a trustworthy source that unfortunately only lasted me 2 months. After lots of issues with tryng to get it fixed I threw in the towel on it and it took me a while to move on from that.

I am ready to buy a new one and told my wife that I would wait till the winter since we will spend more time at home and indoors. So here I am.

I figured I might as well do a 4k projector and seemed like the Optoma UHD-65 would fit my needs.
The projector (existing ceiling mount) sits about 15-16 feet from the screen and my seating distance from the screen is 13 feet

My budget right now is around 2.5k but I can go up or down if there is a better deal to be had or if spending a little more will provide a way bigger advantage.

This is primarily for movies on a weekend evening as I have other set ups in the house I use for sports regular tv watching etc. I try to avoid tv during the week since I have a kid who I dont want to get into that habit.
This will be fed with an HTPC with a 1060/1070 nvidia card. When I purchased and ran the cable I put it in conduit in case it had to be replaced but it did say it was rated for 18 gpbs and hdmi 2.0b (for whatever that is worht)

anyone have any thoughts or suggestions of help would be apreciated.

Should I look at something else instead or expand my price range.

Also is this the best time to buy this or will there be a price decrease in the near future. It seems the price of the optoma uhd-65 has been fairly steady.

i
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181019_182048.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	2470710  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-19-2018, 06:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked: 862
You can get some good suggestions here, but your best bet is going to a trusted AV shop and seeing a demo for yourself. Even better if they have a few different brands and you can see the differences for yourself. I'm lucky to have a shop near me that has JVC, Epson and Sony. That helped guide me to my purchase and a good store will help guide you in the right direction.

The Other Theater (most recent build)
Old Woods Remodel
Old Wood Theater (first build)
Marantz 8805 (Emotiva RMC in a box) | JVC X790R | Emotiva XPA-5 | Emotiva XPA 4-3s | Oppo 203 | DIYSG 1099 | DIYSG Volt 8 | DIYSG Volt 6 | SVS PC-4000 | Seymour UF 132"
post #3 of 7 Old 10-20-2018, 02:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Sorry you had issues with the RS46 known as the first of the more reliable JVC's hopefully you are not soured on the brand because for pure movie watching in a dedicated space they are impossible to beat. With $2.5K budget you are close to the clearance price on a new JVC RS420/440 with a manufacture warranty. For movies watching if you want one of the XPR DLP's I agree UHD65 would be my choice in your price range.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 10-24-2018, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

is there a particular time of the year where I can expect prices to change based on new models coming out?

Is there any other suggestions for projectors to look at?

My biggest issue with JVC is that they do not allow independent contractors to work on their stuff since they pulled all access to service manuals.
Forcing you to use their 3rd party contractor mendtronics. so your options are ship it to them and have no clue if its worth fixing and end up being stuck with a bill even if its not worth fixing.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-24-2018, 08:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Right now is the best time to buy JVC as the new models were just introduced and clearance on last years models is available. As far as only using authorized service centers unfortunately most manufacture use the same model. The cost of servicing any projector out of warranty is so cost prohibitive it almost makes projectors disposable as is the case with almost all consumer electronics today. If it's a big concern buy an extended warranty (really just an insurance policy). The Epson line up is also very popular with the 5040 (soon to be replaced by a newer model) is at you budget it also has had many issues with PS failures but I am sure their are 20 times as many Epson's sold compared to JVC. The Optoma UHD65 is a very good model for closer to true 4K but has poorer contrast and limited placement flexibility. The Sony 4K models are well out of your price range but maybe close on clearance some where.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #6 of 7 Old 11-02-2018, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

Whats a JVC model that does decent and 4k?

thank you for the epson suggestion
post #7 of 7 Old 11-02-2018, 08:23 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejck View Post
Whats a JVC model that does decent and 4k?

thank you for the epson suggestion
they mentioned one above. https://www.amazon.com/JVC-DLA-RS420.../dp/B06XL14KN1

you should be able to find that in your price range if you keep looking
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page