Xgimi Lune 4K Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 45Likes

post #31 of 247 Old 11-04-2018, 03:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceLee View Post
How painful is it to figure things out and navigate w/o english? Chinese is as good as Greek to me. thanks.
99% of my usage is through PSP apps (Games, Netflix, Plex, Youtube) - I've used Google Translate camera to set everything initially - and don't use it anymore.
Having to use the chinese menu is bad, because even apk's installed get Chinese forced in, since device language pairs, and it's a total pain if you have to do that,

To summarize - I wouldn't be satisfied at all from this PJ if I didn't have the PSP to cover up.

Last edited by Ofir Kris; 11-04-2018 at 03:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 247 Old 11-04-2018, 03:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofir Kris View Post
the Lune is superior in brightness too (not by much), and by contrast (by much)
It really sounds like the best value for money UST at the moment.
Any downsides?
post #33 of 247 Old 11-04-2018, 03:50 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
99% of my usage is through PSP apps (Games, Netflix, Plex, Youtube) - I've used Google Translate camera to set everything initially - and don't use it anymore.
Having to use the chinese menu is bad, because even apk's installed get Chinese forced in, since device language pairs, and it's a total pain if you have to do that,

To summarize - I wouldn't be satisfied at all from this PJ if I didn't have the PSP to cover up.
Thank you...do you think something like a Amazon Fire Stick would even default to chinese language and make it not friendly? have you tried something like that?

I'm very tempted...might make it a christmas gift for myself *evil grin*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 247 Old 11-04-2018, 04:50 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
99% of my usage is through PSP apps (Games, Netflix, Plex, Youtube)...
Do the settings include:
1. The ability to set up a default HDMI input? The 1080p Lune had that setting so you could avoid the built in interface entirely once you've completed the initial setup.
2. Please indicate what image setting are included. They usually cover the following categories:
a) Image to screen projection fine tuning such as keystone correction, corner alignment, focus. ... etc
b) Brightness, contrast adjustments, ... etc
c) RBG, Gamma adjustments
3) Presets (e.g. Movie, gaming, ... modes) and user profile image adjustments (either one for all or better one per HDMI port)
4) 4K HDR related e.g. turning HDCP 2.2 on/off or something related to @60/24Hz (I'm likely reaching here without a clue)
5) HDMI-CEC (allows for automatic PJ on/off) according to the default HDMI attached device's on/off status.
6) Brightness intensity modes (e.g. an echo mode or some percentage of the laser brightness)

From what I've read the original Lune was sorely lacking in settings needed to calibrate the image to any degree. Also how does the fan noise compare to the Wemax as most of these USTs include that as a complaint unless background sound is playing to drown it out.

Thanks again.
post #35 of 247 Old 11-04-2018, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DSammy View Post
Do the settings include:
1. The ability to set up a default HDMI input? The 1080p Lune had that setting so you could avoid the built in interface entirely once you've completed the initial setup.
2. Please indicate what image setting are included. They usually cover the following categories:
a) Image to screen projection fine tuning such as keystone correction, corner alignment, focus. ... etc
b) Brightness, contrast adjustments, ... etc
c) RBG, Gamma adjustments
3) Presets (e.g. Movie, gaming, ... modes) and user profile image adjustments (either one for all or better one per HDMI port)
4) 4K HDR related e.g. turning HDCP 2.2 on/off or something related to @60/24Hz (I'm likely reaching here without a clue)
5) HDMI-CEC (allows for automatic PJ on/off) according to the default HDMI attached device's on/off status.
6) Brightness intensity modes (e.g. an echo mode or some percentage of the laser brightness)

From what I've read the original Lune was sorely lacking in settings needed to calibrate the image to any degree. Also how does the fan noise compare to the Wemax as most of these USTs include that as a complaint unless background sound is playing to drown it out.

Thanks again.
Most of the features you mentioned exist, but more importantly - I'm not sure if I'm satisfied from image quality.
Dark & Super bright scenes don't look good enough, and PJ isn't bright enough and requires a dark room.

Maybe this issue is same with every mid-level PJ (had same issue with the Wemax), maybe it's my screen material but bottom line is it's Ok and not super.
post #36 of 247 Old 11-04-2018, 02:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 726 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
Most of the features you mentioned exist, but more importantly - I'm not sure if I'm satisfied from image quality.

Dark & Super bright scenes don't look good enough, and PJ isn't bright enough and requires a dark room.

Maybe this issue is same with every mid-level PJ (had same issue with the Wemax), maybe it's my screen material but bottom line is it's Ok and not super.

It has to be your screen if it’s brighter than the Wemax and still not bright enough. The Wemax is a light cannon. My projector has way less lumens and is fine in anything besides direct light. If your screen is an ALR then it will be absorbing light instead of reflecting it.
post #37 of 247 Old 11-04-2018, 03:23 PM

Quote:

If I can remember correctly your screen is not a fixed frame but a tension screen (Elite Cinetension B). If that's the case it maybe why your having sharpness issues. While researching these UST lasers it has consistently been said that you will have issues with any screen other than a fixed frame, with the issues being most pronounced during image motion. This includes prepared walls as they simply can't be made flat enough with a UST exaggerating any imperfections. Still images can look fine but motion always shows the slightest defects. Non-fixed frame screens are not an issue with short and long throw projectors or at least that is what I've consistently read or seen in YouTube videos.

Thanks for your reply to my questions.
post #38 of 247 Old 11-04-2018, 10:25 PM

I have just received my fixed frame "PET crystal" screen. I wanted to order a tension screen but the factory representative told me I will not get great results out of it when using a UST and that their fixed frame will be a lot better.
Eventually, I have ordered: ambient light rejecting ultrashort throw projector screen with ultra-thin frame PET crystal 120". Now, I will probably order the Xgimi lune 4k
post #39 of 247 Old 11-04-2018, 10:41 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeOxidizer View Post
I have just received my fixed frame "PET crystal" screen. I wanted to order a tension screen but the factory representative told me I will not get great results out of it when using a UST and that their fixed frame will be a lot better.
Eventually, I have ordered: ambient light rejecting ultrashort throw projector screen with ultra-thin frame PET crystal 120". Now, I will probably order the Xgimi lune 4k
Please give us your feedback when you get your projector.

After 4 months of consistently using UST projectors on the wall , I am still hesitant regarding which screen should I buy. Matte white screens give excellent results as regard brightness at night with low contrast . Pet crystal screens give you very good contrast and acceptable veiwing quality during day time , but the gain of these screens is 0.6-0.8 , will decrease brightness a lot. Fresnel screens will potentially solve both issues as its gain is 1.2 , but the size is limited to 100 inch and the shipping cost is extremely high.
post #40 of 247 Old 11-05-2018, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adra View Post
I have the technology to add xgimi lune to English and youtobe and google and so on
That is nice , How ?
Regards
post #41 of 247 Old 11-05-2018, 04:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
http://projector.zol.com.cn/701/7010051.html

I found this chinese review which have some test figures, chrome should be able to do the translate job well.
3DSammy and DeOxidizer like this.
post #42 of 247 Old 11-05-2018, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrilryo View Post
http://projector.zol.com.cn/701/7010051.html

I found this chinese review which have some test figures, chrome should be able to do the translate job well.
The linked review was a valuable read even through Google Translate. I sure wish the link to the "Picture Adjustment" phone app, for the 4K Lune projector, was straight to the actual download link. The page it leads to along with translate made it impossible for me to figure out which app to download.

This review along with the earlier post about a XGIMI supported method from @adra to add English and other Android TV apps to the 4K Lune interface makes this UST a more desirable option than it was just yesterday.
post #43 of 247 Old 11-05-2018, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tohami1966 View Post
That is nice , How ?
Regards
Did someone remove @adra 's reply to your query including the changed interface screen capture? It included a Facebook link in it which may break forum rules. Luckily I captured the link but don't use Facebook so can't delve further. There is no indication if this is free, Xgimi supported/approved or a scam.

A while ago on both amazon and ebay there was a 4K Lune international UST available but was quickly gone from both retailers. There was significant mark up for that open boxed PJ and a warning not to apply any ROM updates. I wonder if this is all related. The markup was high enough to have me prefer to just live with the unmodified Chinese interface plus there were zero returns.
post #44 of 247 Old 11-05-2018, 07:56 AM

In the review linked in @cyrilryo 's post there is mention of an application to assist in "Picture Adjustment" for the 4K Lune. I eventually found the download link "Extreme meter with the screen assistant 3.1.0". I unzipped it and the app appears to be a windows exe. I thought due to the review's picture that it was a phone app.
What ever, use at your own risk, as I don't know anything about the download site. This maybe the Android phone equivalent "XgimiAssistant".
post #45 of 247 Old 11-05-2018, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 726 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
In the review linked in @cyrilryo 's post there is mention of an application to assist in "Picture Adjustment" for the 4K Lune. I eventually found the download link "Extreme meter with the screen assistant 3.1.0". I unzipped it and the app appears to be a windows exe. I thought due to the review's picture that it was a phone app.

What ever, use at your own risk, as I don't know anything about the download site. This maybe the Android phone equivalent "XgimiAssistant".

I read a translated user review where the user was complaining that some adjustments could only be made with the phone app
post #46 of 247 Old 11-05-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bix26 View Post
I read a translated user review where the user was complaining that some adjustments could only be made with the phone app
If that is a way to get more PJ controls I'd have no complaints. What I like specifically about a WiFi based interface to the PJ is the possibility of reverse engineering commands. That may lead to some interesting extensions than those Xgimi natively provides. For example if the interface protocol is via http(s) between the phone app and the projector voice commands (Google Assistant macros) may be possible. I've done similar to add IoT power plugs and lights functionality to my HomeHub and AV system integration. Interesting times at the very least.
post #47 of 247 Old 11-05-2018, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Did someone remove @adra 's reply to your query including the changed interface screen capture? It included a Facebook link in it which may break forum rules. Luckily I captured the link but don't use Facebook so can't delve further. There is no indication if this is free, Xgimi supported/approved or a scam.

A while ago on both amazon and ebay there was a 4K Lune international UST available but was quickly gone from both retailers. There was significant mark up for that open boxed PJ and a warning not to apply any ROM updates. I wonder if this is all related. The markup was high enough to have me prefer to just live with the unmodified Chinese interface plus there were zero returns.
Actually, I didn’t notice any reply from adra...
post #48 of 247 Old 11-05-2018, 08:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hi all,

Just bought and received a Lune 4k.
Played quickly a bit with it yesterday. First impressions:
1. super easy and fast initial set-up. Even if everything is in chinese, there's no issue with a translating app.
2. I don't have any problem to connect to the wifi. (Ofir Kris, did you finally manage to connect yours ?). Need to dig a bit more, but strangely, I don't have access to the whole menu when the VPN was on. No problem though when no VPN.
3. Plugged a european xiaomi Mi box 3 on one HDMI and my Xbox One S on another one. Netflix recognized the 4k UHD from the Mi Box 3, but the Lune 4k displayed the Xbox one S in Full HD only. Need to investigate more. In the setup menu of the Xbox, it shows that the Lune can only display 4k in 24Hz, which is a bit surprising. I will do more tests tonight.
4. The videoprojector is super bright, super sharp and super contrasted. I only have a white wall, and everything's fine. It's my first UST VP, but from what I've seen elsewhere in shops or at friend's places, it's definitly brighter than the wemax.
5. The bluetooth speaker option is cool, and the sound delivered by the Lune 4k is pretty awesome for a sound bar.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate. I'll do my best to answer.

P.S: Since it's my first post, i'd like to thank for all the discussions in the various threads, this forum is an information gold mine.
monakh, 3DSammy and aleupas like this.
post #49 of 247 Old 11-05-2018, 10:18 PM

Hi spacewil,

I hope you will enjoy your new Lune 4k immensely.

Any impressions you may have from your new lune will be highly appreciated. Was it bought online?

I just found out that you can search Netflix for "test pattern" and running it can tell exactly what format your tv/projector can handle.
post #50 of 247 Old 11-05-2018, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeOxidizer View Post
Hi spacewil,

I hope you will enjoy your new Lune 4k immensely.

Any impressions you may have from your new lune will be highly appreciated. Was it bought online?

I just found out that you can search Netflix for "test pattern" and running it can tell exactly what format your tv/projector can handle.
Thanks,
Yes so far I have been very pleased with the Lune 4k.
I bought it on JD.com since they start the discounts for the 11.11.
JD offers a 7 days guarantee refund if there is a better price, so if XGIMI decides to drop the prices I will still be able to get the additional ones.

Thanks for the test pattern of netflix. I will try it tonight and let you know.
post #51 of 247 Old 11-05-2018, 11:00 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 86
once your located here in the Middle Kingdom, it's a shoppers paradise using jd, tmall & taobao.

congrats on your Lune 4K spacewil! BTW how long have you been in china?

XGimi CC, XGimi Z6, UKCSIS, Vmai M200 Pico
Xbox One S, LG SH4
post #52 of 247 Old 11-06-2018, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelee View Post
once your located here in the Middle Kingdom, it's a shoppers paradise using jd, tmall & taobao.

congrats on your Lune 4K spacewil! BTW how long have you been in china?
True, online shopping is so efficient in China.
I've been there for 3 years, but i felt I was settling last month. Time flies.
post #53 of 247 Old 11-06-2018, 06:08 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
@tuber80 I had both and preferred the Lune, the difference is mainly in 4K content.
Thank you Ofir Kris for the impressions on the projector. I went and ahead and requested and got a refund on the WEMAX pro.
post #54 of 247 Old 11-06-2018, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacewil View Post
Just bought and received a Lune 4k.
Played quickly a bit with it yesterday. First impressions:
1. super easy and fast initial set-up. Even if everything is in chinese, there's no issue with a translating app.
2. I don't have any problem to connect to the wifi. (Ofir Kris, did you finally manage to connect yours ?). Need to dig a bit more, but strangely, I don't have access to the whole menu when the VPN was on. No problem though when no VPN.
3. Plugged a european xiaomi Mi box 3 on one HDMI and my Xbox One S on another one. Netflix recognized the 4k UHD from the Mi Box 3, but the Lune 4k displayed the Xbox one S in Full HD only. Need to investigate more. In the setup menu of the Xbox, it shows that the Lune can only display 4k in 24Hz, which is a bit surprising. I will do more tests tonight.
4. The videoprojector is super bright, super sharp and super contrasted. I only have a white wall, and everything's fine. It's my first UST VP, but from what I've seen elsewhere in shops or at friend's places, it's definitly brighter than the wemax.
5. The bluetooth speaker option is cool, and the sound delivered by the Lune 4k is pretty awesome for a sound bar
First off congratulations on your purchase and better yet on the initial positive impressions.
Yesterday I stumbled upon a Russian forum with a Xgimi Lune thread containing posts from both the original and 4K Lune owners. Here are the impressions of a 4K Lune owner who also had a Xiaomi UST. The text was filtered through Google Translate (Chrome browser) as I don't speak Russian.
"
A review about xgimi lune 4k in my subjective opinion:
1. brighter than xiaomi, not much, but watching with artificial lighting is clearly better.
2. seems a little quieter
2.1 Image settings are similar to xiaomi (brightness, colors, sharpness and added smoothness)
3. after setting (disabling enhancements) the picture is shown better, there is an immersive effect.
3.1 3D seemed to me better on Xgimi, on xiaomi glasses from time to time lost the image and showed just a vague
picture, everything is correct (maybe so far lucky)
4. HDR from an external device works, but it is very strange, films are shown from an external set-top box,
Youtube VP9.2 is more faded, the reason for the set-top box or projector is not yet known, I will test it with
another set-top box and cable.
5. You can not install applications without Root.
6. no partial translation via devsettings
7. HDMI CEC where is he? although not really necessary, I use the remote control from the projector only to
turn it on and off, the HDMI source is automatically connected and then everything is controlled from the set-top box.
8. The sound seemed to me better on the Xgimi, although I use either headphones or the output to the amplifier and normal speakers.
9. size is not in favor of Xgimi, it is big! and 0.25 distance is also not very much for me ten.
"
Of all the reviewers comments I'm not so sure that #5 is correct. They may not have used the apk renaming trick when they wrote those remarks. The original Lune has definitely been rooted along the lines of rooting Android phones. I did not see any posts where the 4K Lune has been rooted but that seems just to be no owner has the knowledge.

The most controversial statement I read in the forum posts, as stated by the specific thread owner is, "DOES NOT SUPPORT HDCP 2.2! This means that HDR mode WILL NOT WORK from external devices (console on Android, apple TV, PS4 PRO and so on)! The same goes for LUNE 4K". In other posts it seems that full 4K HDR will work but ONLY from apps run in the projector's Android OS.

Any 4K HDR HDCP 2.2 content from a external box at the very least has it's HDR colors messed with and looks very poor. This may account for the continuing confusion about how either of the two Lune UST projectors handle 4K HDR content. A test which could help clarify how the 4K Lune is truly handling 4K HDR HDCP 2.2 content, would be to view the same 4K HDR YouTube video once from the PJ's Android OS (should be good) and the other from an outside 4K Source (e.g. ROKU Ultra) and that should be "muddied up" or down sampled.

This Russian Lune thread talks about hacking and rooting among other ordinary owner related comments. Here is an interesting thing I picked up while reading the posts.
1. Here is an Android phone app which among other things allows you to run and install applications from your phone.
CetusPlay: Remote | Fire Stick | KODI | Android TV
This app has a number of functions as a general alternate projector remote and game pad but it also allows file manager navigation and a simpler keypad when side loading apks.

2. If you want to side load any apks the renaming trick needs to be used (e.g. netflix.apk -> netflix.apk1), otherwise you the apk will not be seen by the file manager.

I did not post the link to the Russian BBS as I've noticed post go missing (likely admin deleted due to forum rule violations) so I'm trying to avoid that but still provide relevant thread info.
Ofir Kris and spacewil like this.
post #55 of 247 Old 11-06-2018, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by william86 View Post
this one ?
Yes the post included that screenshot and a Facebook link. "post57063342"which no longer exists as far as I can see. Whatever it doesn't matter now.
post #56 of 247 Old 11-06-2018, 08:27 PM

Continued to explore the Lune 4k possibilities yesterday and confirm some points mentionned by @3DSammy .
each HDMI port can be set up for HDMI 1.4 or HDMI2.0 display through a menu. By default mine were all on HDMI1.4.
When I switched to HDMI2.0, the Xbox One S recognized the 4k 60Hz, the HDR 10 etc... Confirmed also the Lune 4k is not Dolby Vision compliant.

When tried Netflix with those settings, the HDR washed the colors (the Netflix logo looked pale orange for instance).
Same happended with my Xiaomi box. When disabled the HDR from the Xbox One S, it looked to me the quality was better than before however.

Will try to install a youtube to the projector this week end and check how the 4k HDR content is displayed compared to external boxes.
3DSammy and Ofir Kris like this.
post #57 of 247 Old 11-07-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
... Will try to install a youtube to the projector this week end and check how the 4k HDR content is displayed compared to external boxes.
I was working through the pros/cons of using the 4K Lune native apps (assuming new ones can be installed and work as expected). That was when I started wondering about the digital audio to my surround AV Receiver. Obviously the SPDIF optical cable is a possibility but some audio formats are not support (e.g. Dolby Atmos) using that connection.

Now I'm wondering if the 4K Lune's HDMI ARC port can be used to output audio when a 4K Lune native app is the player/streamer of the content (e.g. Netflix). Likely that HDMI ARC port would not be sending a video signal but it may be sending digital audio with all source formats supported. That could make using the native Android TV less of a disadvantage versus using the external devices I already own especially as it isn't a downgrade of my surround audio.

Still a disadvantage is that I loose my AV Receiver's (Onkyo) image/4K processing options. I'm not sure how valuable they would be but options are never good to loose.

Some of the other competing UST's had issues with their HDMI ARC implementation when combined with an external device, particularly a 4K Blu-ray player. It was suspected that the HDMI ARC channel became overloaded with the two way data traffic despite being used with an 18GPS rated HDMI cable. The PJ image would be disrupted or stutter on occasion and only with Blue-ray. I don't remember if streamed sources were mentioned as having this issue.

The reporting owner disabled ARC on the HDMI port and used the PJ's SPDIF optical output to get the surround audio stream and the problem disappeared.
post #58 of 247 Old 11-07-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
...When tried Netflix with those settings, the HDR washed the colors (the Netflix logo looked pale orange for instance)...
This is likely HDCP 2.2 related but that assumption could be put to the test by playing back a 4K HDR encoded video that lacked HDCP 2.2 protection and see if the HDR colors are still "washed". This maybe relevant in case someone decides to use a 4K Lune in combination with a "HDFury AVR Key 18Gbps | HDMI Audio Extractor | 4K HDR Splitter". As has been suggested in at least one thread I've read recently. The HDFury AVR key is expensive after all.
post #59 of 247 Old 11-07-2018, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Tried netflix via apk on the PJ (installed via aptoide) - and streaming content had issues, image was choppy and quality was low, making it impossible to use.
when Netflix 4K is played via PSP - it looks great.

Any explanations to this?

Last edited by Ofir Kris; 11-07-2018 at 11:47 PM.
post #60 of 247 Old 11-07-2018, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Tried netflix via apk on the PJ (installed via aptoide) - and 4K content had issues, image was choppy and quality was low, making it impossible to use.
when Netflix 4K is played via PSP - it looks great.

Any explanations to this?
Noticed that specific issue also with JMGO U1 and S2 ... I don’t have a firm explanation, but , I noticed that the max resolution of the built in android OS is 1080p although the U1 is supposed to be 4K. However the image of the Netflix apk on the projector is extremely low in quality, it is not even 1080p.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page