Originally Posted by spacewil
Just bought and received a Lune 4k.
Played quickly a bit with it yesterday. First impressions:
1. super easy and fast initial set-up. Even if everything is in chinese, there's no issue with a translating app.
2. I don't have any problem to connect to the wifi. (Ofir Kris, did you finally manage to connect yours ?). Need to dig a bit more, but strangely, I don't have access to the whole menu when the VPN was on. No problem though when no VPN.
3. Plugged a european xiaomi Mi box 3 on one HDMI and my Xbox One S on another one. Netflix recognized the 4k UHD from the Mi Box 3, but the Lune 4k displayed the Xbox one S in Full HD only. Need to investigate more. In the setup menu of the Xbox, it shows that the Lune can only display 4k in 24Hz, which is a bit surprising. I will do more tests tonight.
4. The videoprojector is super bright, super sharp and super contrasted. I only have a white wall, and everything's fine. It's my first UST VP, but from what I've seen elsewhere in shops or at friend's places, it's definitly brighter than the wemax.
5. The bluetooth speaker option is cool, and the sound delivered by the Lune 4k is pretty awesome for a sound bar
First off congratulations on your purchase and better yet on the initial positive impressions.
Yesterday I stumbled upon a Russian forum with a Xgimi Lune thread containing posts from both the original and 4K Lune owners. Here are the impressions of a 4K Lune owner who also had a Xiaomi UST. The text was filtered through Google Translate (Chrome browser) as I don't speak Russian.
A review about xgimi lune 4k in my subjective opinion:
1. brighter than xiaomi, not much, but watching with artificial lighting is clearly better.
2. seems a little quieter
2.1 Image settings are similar to xiaomi (brightness, colors, sharpness and added smoothness)
3. after setting (disabling enhancements) the picture is shown better, there is an immersive effect.
3.1 3D seemed to me better on Xgimi, on xiaomi glasses from time to time lost the image and showed just a vague
picture, everything is correct (maybe so far lucky)
4. HDR from an external device works, but it is very strange, films are shown from an external set-top box,
Youtube VP9.2 is more faded, the reason for the set-top box or projector is not yet known, I will test it with
another set-top box and cable.
5. You can not install applications without Root.
6. no partial translation via devsettings
7. HDMI CEC where is he? although not really necessary, I use the remote control from the projector only to
turn it on and off, the HDMI source is automatically connected and then everything is controlled from the set-top box.
8. The sound seemed to me better on the Xgimi, although I use either headphones or the output to the amplifier and normal speakers.
9. size is not in favor of Xgimi, it is big! and 0.25 distance is also not very much for me ten.
Of all the reviewers comments I'm not so sure that #5 is correct. They may not have used the apk renaming trick when they wrote those remarks. The original Lune has definitely been rooted along the lines of rooting Android phones. I did not see any posts where the 4K Lune has been rooted but that seems just to be no owner has the knowledge.
The most controversial statement I read in the forum posts, as stated by the specific thread owner is, "DOES NOT SUPPORT HDCP 2.2! This means that HDR mode WILL NOT WORK from external devices (console on Android, apple TV, PS4 PRO and so on)! The same goes for LUNE 4K". In other posts it seems that full 4K HDR will work but ONLY from apps run in the projector's Android OS.
Any 4K HDR HDCP 2.2 content from a external box at the very least has it's HDR colors messed with and looks very poor. This may account for the continuing confusion about how either of the two Lune UST projectors handle 4K HDR content. A test which could help clarify how the 4K Lune is truly handling 4K HDR HDCP 2.2 content, would be to view the same 4K HDR YouTube video once from the PJ's Android OS (should be good) and the other from an outside 4K Source (e.g. ROKU Ultra) and that should be "muddied up" or down sampled.
This Russian Lune thread talks about hacking and rooting among other ordinary owner related comments. Here is an interesting thing I picked up while reading the posts.
1. Here is an Android phone app which among other things allows you to run and install applications from your phone.
CetusPlay: Remote | Fire Stick | KODI | Android TV
This app has a number of functions as a general alternate projector remote and game pad but it also allows file manager navigation and a simpler keypad when side loading apks.
2. If you want to side load any apks the renaming trick needs to be used (e.g. netflix.apk -> netflix.apk1), otherwise you the apk will not be seen by the file manager.
I did not post the link to the Russian BBS as I've noticed post go missing (likely admin deleted due to forum rule violations) so I'm trying to avoid that but still provide relevant thread info.