Xgimi Lune 4K Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 45Likes

post #61 of 247 Old 11-07-2018, 08:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tohami1966 View Post
Noticed that specific issue also with JMGO U1 and S2 ... I don’t have a firm explanation, but , I noticed that the max resolution of the built in android OS is 1080p although the U1 is supposed to be 4K. However the image of the Netflix apk on the projector is extremely low in quality, it is not even 1080p.
Because the Android box have to be with certification widevine L1 and L3
3DSammy and Ofir Kris like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 247 Old 11-07-2018, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 9
So my conclusion is, that this PJ really sucks if you don't own a console.
even the Youtube apk installed didn't allow me to show 4K content, only showed 4K when installed via the PSP
post #63 of 247 Old 11-07-2018, 11:51 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by germanojose View Post
Because the Android box have to be with certification widevine L1 and L3
Thanks a lot for your reply , now I understand.
But that is very very very strange , Perhaps one of the most important points to note about Widevine is that it doesn’t charge a license fee in order to implement its protection technology. So there’s no financial reason why they are missing out in a projector costing around 2k $ figure.
hardware manufacturers only need to pass a certification process.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 247 Old 11-08-2018, 03:11 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tohami1966 View Post
...hardware manufacturers only need to pass a certification process.
It makes the 4K Lune's value questionable. I simply require additional apps (Netflix, YouTube, Plex and Amazon Prime) playing their 4K UHD content with the PJ's best image. Anything lower and I'd be throwing money away. I'm ready to hack or use external devices but without image quality compromise.

Looks like waiting for Xiaomi's 4K UST response if the next thing to do. At least their 1080p models had HDCP 2.2, no issues when external players were used and seemed easier to modify (install apps/hack). They have their issues but seem ahead when it comes to international requirements. Of course only rime will tell.
post #65 of 247 Old 11-08-2018, 06:55 AM

Here is a 1080p Lune related comment that I suspect is encouraging for the 4K Lune as well. No indication about 4K UHD quality though. This is a user comment from a Russian Lune thread:

"No one tried to install PLEX on Lune? for some reason, my code does not issue to connect to the server.

Suddenly it worked. Connected. I'm testing."

Take it for what it's worth as there hasn't been any additional comment on image quality but I'm not sure if Plex can even stream the bandwidth required for 4K UHD files so image quality would not be a challenge.
post #66 of 247 Old 11-09-2018, 04:04 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DSammy View Post
It makes the 4K Lune's value questionable. I simply require additional apps (Netflix, YouTube, Plex and Amazon Prime) playing their 4K UHD content with the PJ's best image. Anything lower and I'd be throwing money away. I'm ready to hack or use external devices but without image quality compromise.

Looks like waiting for Xiaomi's 4K UST response if the next thing to do. At least their 1080p models had HDCP 2.2, no issues when external players were used and seemed easier to modify (install apps/hack). They have their issues but seem ahead when it comes to international requirements. Of course only rime will tell.
well that's a bummer...i'm a month away from purchasing so it's a shame the Lune won't allow those apps to play 4k. I'm guessing they should be able to play at 1080p just fine though, right? so it would be similar to a Viewsonic ls820 or Epson ls100?
post #67 of 247 Old 11-09-2018, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceLee View Post
I'm guessing they should be able to play at 1080p just fine though, right?
So far none of the owners have indicated they had issues playing 1080p (non-HDR) content either from the internal or external players. Note that statement maybe a less certain when the source is an external Blu-Ray player with an HDCP 2.2 source.

If it was fairly easy to side load players on the 4K Lune (e.g. Netflix, Amazon Prime, ... etc) and the HDR colors were rendered as well as the 4K Lune is capable of I'd find that work around acceptable. @spacewil commented that "When disabled the HDR from the Xbox One S, it looked to me the quality was better than before however". If you find a lack of HDR acceptable from external sources than that could be your work around. If I purchase a 4K UST I want both 4K and UHD but will accept workarounds.

Before making your own decision I'd ask the actual owners of the 4K Lune how they feel about their purchase, if they actually watch 4K UHD source (internal or external) and if they would advise you to hold off or not. After all I don't own this projector, I'm just doing research leading up to a purchase and likely have different priorities than you do.
post #68 of 247 Old 11-10-2018, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
So far none of the owners have indicated they had issues playing 1080p (non-HDR) content either from the internal or external players. Note that statement maybe a less certain when the source is an external Blu-Ray player with an HDCP 2.2 source.

If it was fairly easy to side load players on the 4K Lune (e.g. Netflix, Amazon Prime, ... etc) and the HDR colors were rendered as well as the 4K Lune is capable of I'd find that work around acceptable. @spacewil commented that "When disabled the HDR from the Xbox One S, it looked to me the quality was better than before however". If you find a lack of HDR acceptable from external sources than that could be your work around. If I purchase a 4K UST I want both 4K and UHD but will accept workarounds.

Before making your own decision I'd ask the actual owners of the 4K Lune how they feel about their purchase, if they actually watch 4K UHD source (internal or external) and if they would advise you to hold off or not. After all I don't own this projector, I'm just doing research leading up to a purchase and likely have different priorities than you do.
4K works on Youtube, games, Plex, Netflix when played via PlayStation Pro,
When installing apk's directly and viewing plex, youtube, netflix even 1080p doesn't work well.

So unless you have a gaming console - I wouldn't advise on this PJ
3DSammy likes this.
post #69 of 247 Old 11-11-2018, 02:52 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I agree and confirm with what Ofir Kris mentioned.
4k hdr works with Netflix YouTube games etc also on the Xbox one S.

App is another story.

Last thing I have to try is to get a 4kuhd disc and check whether it works.

To answer 3d Sammy, I am super pleased with my lune 4k so far. It takes a bit of time to understand how to make it work but once done it's working like a charm.
3DSammy likes this.
post #70 of 247 Old 11-11-2018, 05:11 AM

@spacewil and @Ofir Kris
I really appreciate the input from "real" owners of this unit. I'm still confused about the comments about the lack of HDCP 2.2 support and "muddied" HDR colors. From what you've both written an external player (e.g Xbox one S and PlayStation Pro) can play 4K streaming content and still take advantage of the 4K Lune with HDR rendering.

That's exactly the kind of workaround I'd find acceptable. Looks like the 4K Lune maybe back in the running although I'll still wait until Xiaomi counters with their own 4K UST. Supposedly there was a comment from Xiaomi that an announcement would come out by year's end. That info was from an electronics show a month or more ago in a French article along with Xiaomi units being sold directly in the EU (France then other locals).

Back to the 4K Lune, I picked up this tidbit from the Russian Lune thread. If you install any YouTube apk on the Android TV 4K Lune OS you can't login to your Google account because of a lack of Google services (no login pop-up). As an alternative "Smart YouTube TV" can be side loaded and works including with 4K material as it doesn't need Google services. Just thought some may be interested as it's specifically made for set-top-boxes.
post #71 of 247 Old 11-11-2018, 08:42 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Just placed an order. Had to do something on double 11.

Last edited by qoopy; 11-11-2018 at 09:00 AM.
post #72 of 247 Old 11-11-2018, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by qoopy View Post
Just placed an order. Had to do something on double 11.
I'm sure you'll enjoy it - make sure you have a gaming console though.
How do you plan to ship it? do you have someone in China?
post #73 of 247 Old 11-11-2018, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
@spacewil and @Ofir Kris
I really appreciate the input from "real" owners of this unit. I'm still confused about the comments about the lack of HDCP 2.2 support and "muddied" HDR colors. From what you've both written an external player (e.g Xbox one S and PlayStation Pro) can play 4K streaming content and still take advantage of the 4K Lune with HDR rendering.

That's exactly the kind of workaround I'd find acceptable. Looks like the 4K Lune maybe back in the running although I'll still wait until Xiaomi counters with their own 4K UST. Supposedly there was a comment from Xiaomi that an announcement would come out by year's end. That info was from an electronics show a month or more ago in a French article along with Xiaomi units being sold directly in the EU (France then other locals).

Back to the 4K Lune, I picked up this tidbit from the Russian Lune thread. If you install any YouTube apk on the Android TV 4K Lune OS you can't login to your Google account because of a lack of Google services (no login pop-up). As an alternative "Smart YouTube TV" can be side loaded and works including with 4K material as it doesn't need Google services. Just thought some may be interested as it's specifically made for set-top-boxes.
I tried the youtube for smart tv APK - it gives only 1080P and it's choppy, while PSP youtube gives clear 4K with an amazing output.
FYI - Regarding HDCP - when I check info on PSP it confirms hdcp2.2 compliance from Projector, and 4K isn't washed via PSP.
post #74 of 247 Old 11-12-2018, 04:07 AM

Can you guys explain the user experience of using the PSP (I understation you mean Playstation Pro now, but was confused for a while thinking the Playstation Portable lol)...?

(1) So you turn on the Lune and PSP and the PSP is automatically in display? or do you need to switch input to the PSP everytime?

(2) The PSP is in English? XBox 1X experience the same?

(3) While on the youtube app in the PSP, things are in English?
post #75 of 247 Old 11-12-2018, 05:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

(1) So you turn on the Lune and PSP and the PSP is automatically in display? or do you need to switch input to the PSP everytime?
Turn on Lune + PSP - PJ is preconfigured to autoplay from the Hdmi channel when getting a signal.

English - yes - the PJ can't force language upon your console..

English
spacewil likes this.
post #76 of 247 Old 11-12-2018, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 46
JD claims to do global shipment. Will soon find out if the Lune arrives DOA like the U1, or ends up in Afghanistan.

UB820 will be the main source used, although the only UHD disc I have is Paddington. If HDCP2.2 turns out to be an issue, hope the Diva can deal with it. Another potential issue is whether the HDMI chipset used can cope with 18Gbps [email protected]/4:2:2/10-bits-HDR content, or plagued with sync issue like the affordable HK2288.

Will also be checking if the iqiyi and tencent apps can stream 4k chinese flicks and the newly launched CCTV 4K channel.

Last edited by qoopy; 11-12-2018 at 11:54 AM.
post #77 of 247 Old 11-12-2018, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I got mine from LITB. I have had it for a few weeks and am generally pleased with the image quality. I was able to sideload a few apps but there seem to be buffering issues with youtube and prime. There is also a constant, irritating noise that is not coming from the fan and also persists when the screen is switched off. So can't really use it as a music player.
post #78 of 247 Old 11-13-2018, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qoopy View Post
...Another potential issue is whether the HDMI chipset used can cope with 18Gbps [email protected]/4:2:2/10-bits-HDR content, or plagued with sync issue like the affordable HK2288....
In researching the 4K Lune I stumbled across info on it's chip sets. I found that the graphics are "i-Chips IP00C381" and came across a pdf with technical details that I can't attach due to size (1.86 mg). Here may be some relevant info from the pdf:

Input (4K60Hz, 2 out of 4-port)
• RGB 30bit/YUV4:4:4 30bit/ YUV4:2:0 30bit/YUV4:2:2
20bit/YUV4:2:2 10bit(BT656)
@V-by-One 4Gbps, 8-lane 2-port
@LV-CMOS 166MHz supporting dual (EVEN/ODD) and DDR
inputs 4-port
• 4K60Hz dual input
• 4K120Hz input supported

Output (4K60Hz, 2-port)
• RGB 30bit/YUV4:4:4 30bit/ YUV4:2:2 20bit/YUV4:2:2
10bit(BT656)
@V-by-One 4Gbps, 8-lane 2-port
• 4K60Hz dual output
• 4K120Hz output supported

I hope that helps.

Last edited by 3DSammy; 11-13-2018 at 05:58 AM.
post #79 of 247 Old 11-13-2018, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surya S View Post
I... There is also a constant, irritating noise that is not coming from the fan and also persists when the screen is switched off. So can't really use it as a music player.
A Xiaomi UST owner tried to rectify their PJs noise by replacing the exhaust fans. What he found was that the exhaust fans were not the major noise source but it was the DLP spinning color wheel. In fact he urged other owners not to bother replacing their exhaust fans as it would be a waste of time and money. So maybe the noise your mentioning is DLP color wheel related.
post #80 of 247 Old 11-13-2018, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofir Kris View Post
Turn on Lune + PSP - PJ is preconfigured to autoplay from the Hdmi channel when getting a signal.

English - yes - the PJ can't force language upon your console..

English
Thank you, Ofir Kris! I appreciate it!

Another question...has anyone used other mini hardware like Fire Stick 4K or Chromecast Ultra?
post #81 of 247 Old 11-13-2018, 08:55 AM

Quote:
A Xiaomi UST owner tried to rectify their PJs noise by replacing the exhaust fans... So maybe the noise your mentioning is DLP color wheel related.
Interesting. Thanks very much for pointing it out. Do you think this is something that I could fix easily or does it need to go back to the manufacturer?
post #82 of 247 Old 11-13-2018, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surya S View Post
...Do you think this is something that I could fix easily or does it need to go back to the manufacturer?
I would never, never attempt to touch the DLP color wheel. With the relative high price of these projectors the only thing I'd remotely consider is side loading apps and maybe even rooting the Android TV OS but definitely not any hardware mods despite building my own PCs for decades.
post #83 of 247 Old 11-15-2018, 07:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Greetings to all.

I just bought a Lune 4k last week. For some reason I don't have the problem of android app not displaying 4k content as some of you have described.

I side loaded Youtube for Android TV and KODI it is able to deliver 4k resolution, confirmed through the image quality icon in youtube setting while the video is playing. When i turn on HDR in youtube TV app settings the black goes darker so I assumed it works. I don't have external box so everything plays directly from the app sideloaded within.

I recommend anyone wanted to sideload app to install Aptoide TV (instead of just aptoide) as the "TV" version will filter the suitable app for Android TV instead of just normal mobile android. With aptoide u just search and install apk from within like u normally do with play store. U don't even need to rename it to .apk1 but of course you will need to do it once when u first install aptoide.

I do have some glitch with Youtube when I playback non-4k content. The image can blink occasionally as if they are black frames in between when i am playing Full HD content. I do not have this problem with 4k youtube content though, 4k HDR contents play beautifully. I hope my unit is not faulty. Will try to hook up my minix U9-H to and try playing youtube through minix to see how it response when I have time.

Another problem with youtube is that I can't login Google acount as apparently there is no google service. Will try smart youtube tv app recommended here when I have time.
simpleHT, DeuceLee and 3DSammy like this.
post #84 of 247 Old 11-15-2018, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by en0203 View Post
Greetings to all.

I just bought a Lune 4k last week. For some reason I don't have the problem of android app not displaying 4k content as some of you have described.

I side loaded Youtube for Android TV and KODI it is able to deliver 4k resolution, confirmed through the image quality icon in youtube setting while the video is playing. When i turn on HDR in youtube TV app settings the black goes darker so I assumed it works. I don't have external box so everything plays directly from the app sideloaded within.

I recommend anyone wanted to sideload app to install Aptoide TV (instead of just aptoide) as the "TV" version will filter the suitable app for Android TV instead of just normal mobile android. With aptoide u just search and install apk from within like u normally do with play store. U don't even need to rename it to .apk1 but of course you will need to do it once when u first install aptoide.

I do have some glitch with Youtube when I playback non-4k content. The image can blink occasionally as if they are black frames in between when i am playing Full HD content. I do not have this problem with 4k youtube content though, 4k HDR contents play beautifully. I hope my unit is not faulty. Will try to hook up my minix U9-H to and try playing youtube through minix to see how it response when I have time.

Another problem with youtube is that I can't login Google acount as apparently there is no google service. Will try smart youtube tv app recommended here when I have time.
pardon my newbness but do you have resources on how to do the sideload you're mentioning? links online? youtube videos?
post #85 of 247 Old 11-16-2018, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Greetings to all.

Can you share, where/which site you bought it from? Thank you.
post #86 of 247 Old 11-17-2018, 10:38 PM

Quote:
pardon my newbness but do you have resources on how to do the sideload you're mentioning? links online? youtube videos?
Sorry can't find any YouTube link but let met try to describe the steps:

1. Download the necessary apk from apkmirro and any other websites. Copy it to a USB drive and rename it to "...apk1". For example, copy "Aptoide_TV.apk" to USB drive and rename it to "Aptoide_TV.apk1".

2. Plug the USB drive to the Xgimi Lune and a screen will pop up to let you open it. Refer "1.jpg" for screenshot.

3. Navigate to the renamed apk1 file and select it as shown in "2.jpg" screenshot, and then select "Other" as shown in "3.jpg" screenshot, and then select "Android Package Installer" as shown in "4.jpg" screenshot, and finally select "Install" as shown in "5.jpg" screenshot.

4. After it is install, you can either open it directly from the completion screen as show in "6.jpg" screenshot, or you also also go to the app drawer in Lune 4k to open it.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	2484364   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	2484366   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	2484368   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	2484370   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	2484372  

Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	2484374  
DeuceLee and 3DSammy like this.
post #87 of 247 Old 11-17-2018, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Živěla View Post
Can you share, where/which site you bought it from? Thank you.
Hi I am from Singapore. I didn't buy it online but bought from a local agent in Singapore that carries the model.
post #88 of 247 Old 11-17-2018, 11:05 PM

Quote:
I have replied with screenshot but it needs to be approved by admin before the reply will show up. Let's see if the reply will be approved later.
DeuceLee likes this.
post #89 of 247 Old 11-18-2018, 04:01 AM

Quote:
I have replied with screenshot but it needs to be approved by admin before the reply will show up. Let's see if the reply will be approved later.
Thanks bro...i got the notes from the subscription to the thread but it doesn't include the jpg's. Yeah hopefully they release. thx again!
post #90 of 247 Old 11-21-2018, 06:45 AM

@en0203 , the pictures show up now!!

Can you show a picture of the app or apk working? is it in english?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP