AVS Forum banner

Xgimi Lune 4K Owners Thread (No Price Talk)

74K views 281 replies 56 participants last post by  SpanishSteve 
#1 ·
Got the Lune 4K, here are the Initial results:
1. It works with PSP 4 pro with 4K 60FPS content (tested with 4K RGB setting with Fifa 18) - no need to use splitter as far as I can see.
2. Can't install any apk's on it, so I can't stream 4K content on my Plex directly, tried via PSP plex app but video had buffering issues.
3. Menu cannot be changed to English.
4. Brighter than the Wemax but still barely watchable in when all lights are on, image quality + sound are superior to the Xiaomi Wemax I've owned.

Seems that Xgimi is working very hard to make this projector for domestic CN usage only.

Will test 4K via HDMI later and post some pictures.

#229 ·
Hi guys. I got the lune 4k as well as an xy screen from China. I am.kind of jnew to the projector world.

Now Iin the next few days I will be mounting the screen into the weak. As I haven’t done it well can anyone help me with the right process to doing right. From what I understand I can’t adjust the screen height through the projector? Correct? Any tips and help will be very appreciated

Thank you!

#230 ·
If you place the Lune on the floor, the 120" projected image will be about 45cm from the ground. Using a platform with 4 adjustable feet will make the process of alignment much simpler.
XYscreen assembly is quite straight forward. Detail instruction can be found on youtube.
Have fun.

#232 ·
More on XYscreen

1. While a lot has been written about the XPRx4 chipset's ability to resolve fine details, it's apparently not the case here. The screen seems to make matter worse. A test pic is attached for anyone who may be interested.

2. Screen brightness also takes a bit hit. Actual measured screen gain of just 0.5 for these lenticular type screens has been posted on some chinese internet forums. For night time viewing, a normal white/grey screen may be a better option. The attached HDR screen shot is taken with default setting.

Attachments

#233 ·
Youtube 4K HDR

1. Although YoutubeTV installed successfully after first adding the framework and play services, playback would hanged after a couple seconds. This could be due to lack of support for Opus audio format. It also defaulted to selecting bt709 format instead of HDR.

2. Smart Youtube TV fared slightly better. The default audio format is MP4, but failed to reproduce the colour of v92 format correctly.

So for now, an external device is needed for Youtube 4K HDR playback. Attached are some screen caps of HLG clips using the UB820.

Attachments

#236 ·
4K HDR contents on youtube has much higher bit rate that other streaming services. Quality is good, but getting the colour to be displayed correctly has been a challenge on the lune4k, and I suspect other chinese made devices as well. The opus audio format is also not supported. It's not clear if these issues are Android TV related, or specific only to these devices. Interested to know if anyone has been able to get around these.

#239 ·
Thank you for answer. My Lune seller from Russia helped me also by almost same command.
It can be helpful in that case because in the latest firmware function of rotating screen is disappears from menu:

Go to Google Translate on your phone or computer.
Put "detect language automatically."
Enter: 进入投影方式
Hold the microphone button on the projector remote control for a couple of seconds.
After triggering the projector Chinese “Siri”, play this phrase from Google Translate.
The projector enters the flip and mirror projection mode.

#241 ·
It seems there is a “Pro” version of this in a black chassis. Judging from the marketing sheet translated via google, it has UHD BluRay support.

Google translation:

“Support HDR 10 decoding to show the beauty of light and shadow details LUNE 4K Pro uses Blu-ray devices and HDR 10 decoding technology supported by professional game consoles. Compared with images that do not support HDR 10, HDR 10 decoding can provide more dynamic range and image details.”

#248 ·
hey guys , lune 4k pro here, I am trying to use xgimi assistant app here to use this feature call one snap shot to calibrate your image on screen , after numerous attempts i am getting this error regardless how bright the light i have, the error read in photo translates as calibrate fails, pls ensure sufficient lighting source and no obstruction on screen edge

just curious anyone uses this feature and proper way on using this?

#250 · (Edited)
Arca judder test

It has been more than a year since the Luna4K flew over the hump. Been trying to look for any upgrade over the past few months, but none of the new models has made any compelling case so far.

The remembrance day sales gave me the excuse to put together a system to run the Arca Judder Test. It wasn't the ideal test platform, as the Kabylake system did not come with HDMI2.0, so testing was limited to 4K@30, and the Arca software had trouble reporting the pixel rate of the RX550 setup, although the tests appeared to run properly. Perhaps a GT1030 will rectify the issue. Also had the tests run at 2k resolution at all refresh rates.

The Arca test ran smoothly without showing up any issues, indicating the Luna4K is capable to handle refresh rates from 23 to 60 at 4k resolution properly.:cool: The test also revealed significant improvement in motion smoothness when MEMC is engaged, especially in low refresh rates.

Test videos were made using a hand phone, but the quality was too poor. Is it possible to capture on screen video in windows 10?

Here are some screen shots:

Attachments

#253 · (Edited)
Refresh rates

In view of some recent comments that the TI XPR 4x DLP using a laser light source can only display contents at a fix rate of 60Hz, decided to have another look at how the Lune handles contents with different refresh rates, this time using home made test material consisting of horizontal rolling film credits ranging from 23 to 60Hz.

As can be seen in the attached MPC screen caps, playback is surprisingly well behaved, showing very little sign of mismatch between source and display refresh rates. When played on a Sony player, the end credits just roll across the bottom of the screen smoothly, especially when memc is set to medium. Quite an impressive performance for this cheap projector.

If there are any motion artifacts present, they are not obvious. Perhaps someone would like to suggest a better way to spot theses.

Attachments

#255 ·
Greetings.

Sad to announce the early retirement of the Lune4K. It will be redeployed in a room with a smaller screen. Taking its place is the 3000 lumens BenQ (明基) i965L, another cheap .47" ust. Will see how this works out, but Lune's sweet fan noise will be sorely missed.

Attachments

#257 · (Edited)
Greetings schumy.

My Lune has been running quietly without any issue for the past two years, but lacks the firepower to cope with a 120" screen. Getting a decent upgrade for a 120" is quite a challenge indeed. Initial testing of the i965L with a 0.8 gain lenticular screen suggests it is borderline in HDR mode. That is probably the reason why practically all UST specs are done with a 100" 1.2 gain Fresnel screen.

An interesting upgrade option is the liquid cooled Boxlight XSDN1S at 350nits, probably an Appo rebadge. Another cheap one is the 2500 lumens rated Optoma X1-Elite using a 6 segment RGB colour wheel.

Have fun.

#258 ·
I have been using mine with a 100" screen and the major issue IMO is the poor contrast (black looks grey, not dark enough).

Weird thing is that back in 2018 Xgimi released so many different models one shortly after the other, but after Lune 4K Pro (which does not seem to be a big enough improvement to justify ditching the Lune4K) there is no more new UST model for quite some time.

#259 · (Edited)
While it's the consensus here that DLP has poor black level/contrast, especially the .47", it is not clear if higher lumens would provide sufficient improvement in the perception of contrast to compensate for the poor black performance, or if the problem is indeed inherent to the DLP design itself.

If a 3000 lumens .47" DLP can't do it, then I suppose the solution is to be found elsewhere, in the LCOS universe, perhaps?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.