Xgimi Lune 4K Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 45Likes

post #121 of 247 Old 11-29-2018, 05:49 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by en0203 View Post

I side loaded Youtube for Android TV and KODI it is able to deliver 4k resolution, confirmed through the image quality icon in youtube setting while the video is playing. When i turn on HDR in youtube TV app settings the black goes darker so I assumed it works. I don't have external box so everything plays directly from the app sideloaded within.

I recommend anyone wanted to sideload app to install Aptoide TV (instead of just aptoide) as the "TV" version will filter the suitable app for Android TV instead of just normal mobile android. With aptoide u just search and install apk from within like u normally do with play store. U don't even need to rename it to .apk1 but of course you will need to do it once when u first install aptoide.

Greetings en0203. Thanks for the post and hope you're having fun with the Lune4K.

Have a few questions here and wonder if you may be kind enough to help:

1. I installed youtube tv from apkmirror, but it failed to run. Any links to to a working version?
2. Installed apatoid, but many menu options not accessible. Is keyboard/mouse required here? Any working link?
3. Netflix TV from apkmirror also failed to work. Link?
4. Did you have any lick with the free 4K shows provided by the built in app? I got an a00111error message.
5. Any idea which version of iqiyi/iqiyi vip would work on Lune4K?
6. How to access CCTV 4K?
7. The advance menu option in picture setting is not accessible. How to turn it on?
8. Which kodi version are did you install?

Many thanks and best regards,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	netflixerror.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	2489134   Click image for larger version

Name:	4kerrir.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	2489136   Click image for larger version

Name:	advance.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	2489138  

Last edited by qoopy; 11-29-2018 at 07:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 247 Old 11-30-2018, 05:27 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeOxidizer View Post
After much waiting the Lune arrived today. ... All the apps. and language change were preinstalled by the seller that added a note asking not to update the system or all his setups will be deleted,,,
Congratulations on your new arrival. For me the markup charged by the seller of the modified 4K Lune is simply too much. I hope everything works out for you. Did they leave the UST rooted (SuperSU), for you to do further mods, if you so desire?
post #123 of 247 Old 12-01-2018, 08:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 4
The UST is Rooted and everybody with some experience in rooting phones can do it with ease.
I installed my PET screen and after watching some 4K HDR10 60fps demoes from an external streamer, its nothing short of magnificent.
The Blacks are absolute and the dynamic range is amazing.

I am really happy with my decision on buying both the PET crystal screen and the LUNE 4K
The only downside is that it took me hours to install the screen and set the PJ to fit the frame (Still not perfect).

You are of course right about the markup. but if you compare it to the price of the new 4k JVC for example, it is still relatively cheap.
I was unable to order the PJ at the Chinese price. Since this is my first PJ I just could not help myself and could not wait for an international version or for a price drop
3DSammy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 247 Old 12-02-2018, 02:12 AM

HDR issues using ub820

Lune 4K's HDR performance is weird and unpredictable when using the ub820, perhaps an indication of faulty hdmi chip, less than robust HDR rendering engine. The HDMI cables used for testing is 18Gbps rated, although all cables claim the same these days.

The strangest of the lot is the colour of ub820's set up menu. It appears in yellow at times, and orange on other occasions. Netflix's menu appears washed out at times, and so is youtube's HDR clips.

It is yet unclear how the engineers at xgimi manage such a feat.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	setupyellow.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	2490040   Click image for larger version

Name:	setuporange.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	2490042   Click image for larger version

Name:	negflixbad.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	2490044   Click image for larger version

Name:	netflixgood.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	2490046   Click image for larger version

Name:	ytbad.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	201.0 KB
ID:	2490048  

Name:	ytgood.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	219.4 KB
ID:	2490050  
post #125 of 247 Old 12-02-2018, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
@qoopy do you get the washed images when connected to the ub820 or without it?

Check my images here from same video:
image 5440 --> My macbook VS projector on 4K content
image 5494 --> 4K via hdmi 2.0
image 5502 --> 1080P via Hdmi 1.4

* Shots were taken in day light.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5502.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	2490234   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5494.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	2490236   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5440.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	2490238  

Last edited by Ofir Kris; 12-02-2018 at 10:39 AM.
post #126 of 247 Old 12-03-2018, 06:30 PM

HDR with Sir David

The first pic is ub820's default HDR/2020 output. It looks washed out compared to the second pic that strips away the HDR tags. The difference between the two is like play a HDR file on PC using EVR vs madvr as renderer. Those with access to the decrypted content can try it out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	earthhdr2020.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	248.7 KB
ID:	2491084   Click image for larger version

Name:	earthsdr2020.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	265.2 KB
ID:	2491086  
post #127 of 247 Old 12-04-2018, 05:59 PM

HDR with Paddington

A third tone mapping option SDR/709 is included for comparison, and the contrast with HDR couldn't be more obvious.

The default HDR output has a highly pronounced marmalade flavour to it, not sure if it's the direction's intention, or a flaw of the Lune. The black level is raised and white level crushed, suggesting perhaps the Lune has difficulty dealing with the wide dynamic range of HDR.

It's also interesting to note that the SDR/2020 mapping seems to remove most of the marmalade content, giving a much cooler appearance compared to 709.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	padhdr2020.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	209.7 KB
ID:	2491744   Click image for larger version

Name:	padsdr2020.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	219.2 KB
ID:	2491746   Click image for larger version

Name:	padsdr709.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	225.5 KB
ID:	2491748  
3DSammy likes this.
post #128 of 247 Old 12-06-2018, 08:40 AM

Firmware 1.2.23
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	firmware.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	2492558  
post #129 of 247 Old 12-06-2018, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by qoopy View Post
Firmware 1.2.23
what happened?
My update was successful.
post #130 of 247 Old 12-06-2018, 07:20 PM

UB820 threw a fit.
post #131 of 247 Old 12-08-2018, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrift View Post
So, for those who ended up getting one, is there a general consensus yet? Is it better than the Xiaomi Mi, the Wemax One Pro, and the original 1080p Lune. In your estimation, is the picture overall better and brighter than those other non-4K devices? Are you overall satisfied, or do you regret plunking money down on it?
I did not watch any of the other UST projectors but I can tell I am extremely pleased with the brightness and the picture quality.

I enjoyed it even while projecting on a white wall on a sunny day. The blacks are not as good in bright light, and the colors are faded but not more (maybe even less) than watching LED TV on the same conditions.

The result while using PET Crystal screen is fantastic. I ordered mine from XY-screen
simpleHT and adrift like this.
post #132 of 247 Old 12-08-2018, 10:00 PM

Where do I disable the motion compensation? This soap opera mode is driving me crazy
post #133 of 247 Old 12-08-2018, 10:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
I did not watch any of the other UST projectors but I can tell I am extremely pleased with the brightness and the picture quality.

I enjoyed it even while projecting on a white wall on a sunny day. The blacks are not as good in bright light, and the colors are faded but not more (maybe even less) than watching LED TV on the same conditions.

The result while using PET Crystal screen is fantastic. I ordered mine from XY-screen

Thanks so much for your input.

I went ahead and got the 1080 version, but I'll be keeping an eye on people's satisfaction with the 4K version. I might eventually go that direction when it becomes a bit more accessible. I also ordered the PET Crystal screen from XY Screens. The whole purchase was done over email, which was a sort of odd way of doing things, but overall the interaction went very smooth. Hopefully I get both by the end of the week.
DeOxidizer likes this.
post #134 of 247 Old 12-08-2018, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Thanks so much for your input.

I went ahead and got the 1080 version, but I'll be keeping an eye on people's satisfaction with the 4K version. I might eventually go that direction when it becomes a bit more accessible. I also ordered the PET Crystal screen from XY Screens. The whole purchase was done over email, which was a sort of odd way of doing things, but overall the interaction went very smooth. Hopefully I get both by the end of the week.
The screen ordering went the same way for me too. I wrote numerous times to Cramer Lee from XY-screen which was very pleasant, patient and helpful. at the end of my inquiry, he sent me a price quote through Alibaba. About two weeks later, a very long box landed at my doorstep.

I recommend watching the youtube installation movies. They are very helpful.
post #135 of 247 Old 12-09-2018, 01:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

I went ahead and got the 1080 version, but I'll be keeping an eye on people's satisfaction with the 4K version. I might eventually go that direction when it becomes a bit more accessible. .
Why did you decide on the 1080p instead of the 4k version? I am considering the Lune over the Lune 4k too, for the higher lumen and because it's available from LITB. I currently have the H1, and pretty happy with it.
post #136 of 247 Old 12-09-2018, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The screen ordering went the same way for me too. I wrote numerous times to Cramer Lee from XY-screen which was very pleasant, patient and helpful. at the end of my inquiry, he sent me a price quote through Alibaba. About two weeks later, a very long box landed at my doorstep.

I recommend watching the youtube installation movies. They are very helpful.

Yeah, the person I talked to was August Liu, who's English is great (much better than the guy who contacted me from Snowhite Display Technology). I've watched that Youtube video, but I'm sure I'll be watching it again for reference as I'm putting it together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleHT View Post
Why did you decide on the 1080p instead of the 4k version? I am considering the Lune over the Lune 4k too, for the higher lumen and because it's available from LITB. I currently have the H1, and pretty happy with it.

A few reasons similar to your own. The 1080 Lune seemed more easily accessible (buying something from China is already sketchy...having to use Google Translate to make a purchase just added a layer of complexity that I didn't want to deal with). On those few English sites I could find that were selling the 4K version, the 1080 could be had a bit cheaper. In at least one place, significantly so. On paper the 1080 version is brighter than the 4K version, and having dealt with low-light bulb projectors for years, I wanted to go with the brightest laser one I could find. And honestly, there's just not as much information about the 4K version as there is the 1080 version. This is the only English-speaking place I've read anyone go into it in detail (granted the 1080 version doesn't get loads of talk either), and the general tone of the thread made me assume that people were less than pleased with it. It took 11 days to see a reply to my post with DeOxidizer expressing his extreme pleasure with it. I had assumed from the intervening silence that people weren't so thrilled with it. Finally, since this is the first UST laser 4K version available at this price range (that I know of anyways), I figured it'd take some time for all of the bugs to be worked out, and for competition to ramp up to come out with better products within the same price range. As this will be my primary display device, and my current projector is failing, I need something now, and can't wait for the day that 4K is ironed out to arrive.

Hopefully I didn't make a big mistake, but I'm relatively confident in my choice, and look forward to seeing more discussion on both products.

Last edited by adrift; 12-09-2018 at 09:18 AM.
post #137 of 247 Old 12-09-2018, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacewil View Post
Thanks,
Yes so far I have been very pleased with the Lune 4k.
I bought it on JD.com since they start the discounts for the 11.11.
JD offers a 7 days guarantee refund if there is a better price, so if XGIMI decides to drop the prices I will still be able to get the additional ones.

Thanks for the test pattern of netflix. I will try it tonight and let you know.
Congrats.

Does jd.com ships internationally? I went to the site and its all in chinese.

What’s the difference between this projector and the Hisense that goes for like $9999 anyone know?
I live in New York but have a family house in Greece so i am planning to get one for there. What it’s the best screen
That doesn’t break the bang and its good for daylight? - thanks guys the forum is amazing!
post #138 of 247 Old 12-09-2018, 08:03 PM

How about Apple TV? Or any other 4K stick? (Amazon fire, roku etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofir Kris View Post
4K works on Youtube, games, Plex, Netflix when played via PlayStation Pro,
When installing apk's directly and viewing plex, youtube, netflix even 1080p doesn't work well.

So unless you have a gaming console - I wouldn't advise on this PJ
post #139 of 247 Old 12-09-2018, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

any chance to see a pic of your set up?
post #140 of 247 Old 12-09-2018, 09:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanisnyc View Post
What it’s the best screen
That doesn’t break the bang and its good for daylight? - thanks guys the forum is amazing!

As mentioned in PM, though you can use a standard white fixed-frame screen (though I believe there are some screens you don't want to use), there are about 4 or 5 companies that make screens specifically for ultra-short throw projectors: Elite, Viewsonic, XY Screens, and Snowhite (I guess Screen Innovations and Carl's makes them too, but I don't know anything about those). The one that I see recommended the most is XY Screen's PET Crystal. Here's a link to their webpage. Depending on room, you'll want to probably go with a 100 or 120 inch screen, though I think the Lune can do up to 150" easily. At any rate, you can find plenty of videos on Youtube to see what PET Crystal screens look like.

It seems like a lot of people sort of dip out once they have their gear, so you may not get answers to your other questions right away. Take care.
post #141 of 247 Old 12-09-2018, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Hopefully, I didn't make a big mistake, but I'm relatively confident in my choice and look forward to seeing more discussion on both products.
I don't think you mad a big mistake. At the worse, it was a mistake.
- At least for me, most of the content I am watching is in the HD and not the UHD resolution.
- The "regular" lune costs about 1500USD less than the 4k version (outside China)
- Easier to find where to buy
- Uses bigger DMD

I don't think I need a brighter, more luminescent projector but it may be helpful in well-lit rooms or less than optimal screens.

I almost bought it myself. Eventually, I decided to buy the 4k version since I don't intend to replace it at least in the next 5 years
adrift likes this.
post #142 of 247 Old 12-09-2018, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akihimura View Post
any chance to see a pic of your set up?
My setup is not complete since I just moved to a new house. I will post pictures as soon as I will complete arranging it.

I bought a 120" screen and not a bigger one because of the ceiling height that did not allow setting a bigger screen, and the fact that xy-screen do not offer a bigger PET crystal screen.
post #143 of 247 Old 12-10-2018, 11:11 PM

The Hisense PJ is bundled with a 100" UST screen. As far as I know, it is limited in size to 100".
It has a full international version.
post #144 of 247 Old 12-12-2018, 09:06 AM

HDR - A case of too much marmalade?

I'm happy to report ub820 has behaved well over the past few days after given a new KabelDirekt and heavy dose of Keira.

Meanwhile, a more serious issue has emerged: the lune didn't handle HDR particularly well. Certain HDR scenes had the appearance of having a thick layer of marmalade smeared all over it. SDR/BT2020 also appears underwhelming and lacking in colour richness, perhaps an indication this mode may not be supported. Not sure if this problem is in any way related to playing the paddington disc.

Time to check out the v30 firmware.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20181209_000711.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	853.8 KB
ID:	2495650   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181212_223927.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	2495652   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181212_223644.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	2495654   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181212_223346.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	2495656  

Last edited by qoopy; 12-12-2018 at 07:35 PM.
post #145 of 247 Old 12-12-2018, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

@qoopy let us know after you test the new firmware about what changed.
Also please test HDCP 2.2 compliance - I'm not updating because i'm always in fear that they may disable hdcp 2.2 support, since they aren't really licensed (hence why they don't sell outside of China)

Regarding HDR - there is no way to turn it off, and I agree that the Lune 4K is ruining HDR scenes for me too (not color wise but it's just too dark).
post #146 of 247 Old 12-12-2018, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofir Kris View Post
@qoopy let us know after you test the new firmware about what changed.
Also please test HDCP 2.2 compliance - I'm not updating because i'm always in fear that they may disable hdcp 2.2 support, since they aren't really licensed (hence why they don't sell outside of China)

Regarding HDR - there is no way to turn it off, and I agree that the Lune 4K is ruining HDR scenes for me too (not color wise but it's just too dark).
sad to hear that about the HDR...

more and more it sounds like the original lune is a better performer than its 4K version

is there anything that this 4k version does better than its original version?
post #147 of 247 Old 12-12-2018, 08:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

more and more it sounds like the original lune is a better performer than its 4K version

I thought the original Lune also has issue with HDR
post #148 of 247 Old 12-13-2018, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Just to clarify, image on the lune 4k is still superior to other UST PJ's i've tested.
post #149 of 247 Old 12-14-2018, 08:44 PM

Also there aren’t any reviews on YouTube, right? Can’t find a single one.
post #150 of 247 Old 12-21-2018, 07:13 AM

HDR - Bewitched by Mary?

It seems the built-in player can't deal with this one. Too hot to handle?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20181221_195850.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	929.2 KB
ID:	2499370   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181220_233432.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	700.5 KB
ID:	2499372  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement