AVS Forum banner

Xgimi Lune 4K Owners Thread (No Price Talk)

74K views 281 replies 56 participants last post by  SpanishSteve 
#1 ·
Got the Lune 4K, here are the Initial results:
1. It works with PSP 4 pro with 4K 60FPS content (tested with 4K RGB setting with Fifa 18) - no need to use splitter as far as I can see.
2. Can't install any apk's on it, so I can't stream 4K content on my Plex directly, tried via PSP plex app but video had buffering issues.
3. Menu cannot be changed to English.
4. Brighter than the Wemax but still barely watchable in when all lights are on, image quality + sound are superior to the Xiaomi Wemax I've owned.

Seems that Xgimi is working very hard to make this projector for domestic CN usage only.

Will test 4K via HDMI later and post some pictures.

#2 · (Edited)
Congrats on your Lune 4K
for installing apk's try changing the name extension so that it will show up like xbmc.apk to xbmc.apk1
once you see the xbmc.apk1 via USB then press the OK button & select run by using your google translate phone then select install in one of the options(andy logo) use translate again here. don't install anything google as it will mess up the system then you might need a full reset, well that's what happened to my CC & Z6 but not sure if it's the same with the lune.

you could install shafa market which you can configure to english then you can have options like clean, uninstall, test your network etc. to change language go to the last menu then the two lower menu on the right is the settings.
http://www.shafa.com/market

on 11-11 xgimi will release a 4K PJ(rumors) that will be against the jmgo X3

jmgo X3
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-d...0-usd-msrp/2999794-jmgo-x3-affordable-4k.html

#3 ·
Congrats on your purchase! I have been looking all over the net for info (in English!) on the Lune 4K, to no avail. Would appreciate anything else you have to share. Thanks for starting this thread though I suspect there won't be too many owners chiming in. I suspect there aren't too many of them outside China (like you mentioned).

#4 · (Edited)
Xgimi Lune 4K Owners Thread

Got the Lune 4K, here are the Initial results:

1. It works with PSP 4 pro with 4K 60FPS content (tested with 4K RGB setting with Fifa 18) - no need to use splitter as far as I can see.

2. Can't install any apk's on it, so I can't stream 4K content on my Plex directly, tried via PSP plex app but video had buffering issues.

3. Menu cannot be changed to English.

4. Brighter than the Wemax but still barely watchable in when all lights are on, image quality + sound are superior to the Xiaomi Wemax I've owned.

Seems that Xgimi is working very hard to make this projector for domestic CN usage only.

Will test 4K via HDMI later and post some pictures.

Congratulations! Hope it’s awesome.

I’m glad the PS4 is working with HDR. Can you try playing some HDCP protected content such as HDR movies on Netflix and see if it downscales to SDR? Maybe som screen shots too please[emoji3526]

Thanks

#5 ·
Congratulations! Hope it’s awesome.

I’m glad the PS4 is working with HDR. Can you try playing some HDCP protected content such as HDR movies on Netflix and see if it downscales to SDR? Maybe som screen shots too please[emoji3526]

Thanks

@wheelee - Thanks for the tip - it worked.
Netflix is streaming @ 4K via PSP app, I couldn't install the apk directly (tried several versions).

Some other points:
1. Sound quality is very good but on movies it's difficult to understand talks, it's like it's in some lite Karaoke mode.
2. Wifi wouldn't connect - I'm using ethernet instead.

I guess there is some learning curve.

#12 · (Edited)
@3DSammy I've tested with lights on,
1. screen only (PJ off) - 98 lux
2. PJ on - 185 LUX
* Tested with iphone x and some free itunes app - with back sensor (iphone has it on both sides)

@bix26 I've attached a photo of new video on Netflix with 4K - info of netflix showing stream info with stream speed, which seems accurate, as for Disney\Marvel content - there is no 4K option for those on Netflix unless you have a specific video you know of that you'd like me to test.

Screen info - 135" Elite Cinetension B

Attachments

#13 ·
@3DSammy I've tested with lights on,

1. screen only (PJ off) - 98 lux

2. PJ on - 185 LUX

@bix26 I've attached a photo of new video on Netflix with 4K - info of netflix showing stream info with stream speed, which seems accurate, as for Disney\Marvel content - there is no 4K option for those on Netflix unless you have a specific video you know of that you'd like me to test.

Screen info - 135" Elite Cinetension B

The picture looks excellent! Very good color. It’s showing 2160p and the color looks better than SDR. My uncle is going to China in December I might have him pick me up one.

#16 ·
@Ofir Kris

Here are some links you may be interested in about the 4K Lune and/or the projector's Android TV OS. I have no idea what your tech/hacking skills are like but XGIMI seems to be reasonable about hacking their devices at least on their BBS forum.

XGIMI 4K Lune Firmware (full and OTA)
XGIMI OS root (Extreme meter V3.x firmware root) - Please use at your own risk
Official XGIMI 4K Lune forum

The biggest thing posted in the forum is demands for image color control settings. These were also missing/limited with the FHD Lune settings.

#17 ·
I read the google translate on the media coverage of the PJ, and I was wondering, may I please ask you a few questions?

1. The article seemed to suggest (or perhaps the poor Google translate did) that this PJ isn't true 4K, but rather it's the pixel-shift version that is similar to Dell's... but not like the HiSense one (hence the price difference). Is this the case?

2. Somewhere in my travels I think someone said it was not as bright as the 1080p Lune, not that you have one, but bright enough for dim rooms? Your shot of the movie looks awesome btw

3. I was a bit taken aback by the part of the article that said the PJ must be 50cm (20") away from the wall to get to 100" screen size... I have a console table that I want to sit it on, but I wasn't banking on moving the table away from the wall... Is this the case? You have an even bigger screen, but the throw ratio seems off in that article.

And maybe one bonus question please... is your screen light-rejecting, either CLR or ALR? What is your gain?

Yeah I know that was two bonus questions, I can't help myself!! Thanks for your time, and if you don't have the opportunity to get to these no worries, but I'm sure we'd all love to know.

NC

#19 ·
I read the google translate on the media coverage of the PJ, and I was wondering, may I please ask you a few questions?

1. The article seemed to suggest (or perhaps the poor Google translate did) that this PJ isn't true 4K, but rather it's the pixel-shift version that is similar to Dell's... but not like the HiSense one (hence the price difference). Is this the case?

This projector uses pixel shifting, so does the Hisense. Any projector sub $5,000 msrp is does not have native 4k imagers.

#18 ·
@3DSammy - Thanks, the concern is that I will be lacking future firmware updates, on a very new device which might be vital, can doing this brick the device? have you seen users with bricked devices?
@NeoCyber

1. I'm not knowledgable enough, but all seems legit from what I can see via PSP \ Netflix \ Plex.
2. I think the device isn't bright enough
3. from the edge that is close to the wall, it's around 40cm
4. Material is Cinewhite UHD 1.15 gain (https://elitescreens.com/front/front/productdetail/product/361)

#23 · (Edited)
Xgimi Lune 4K Owners Thread

@3DSammy - Thanks, the concern is that I will be lacking future firmware updates, on a very new device which might be vital, can doing this brick the device? have you seen users with bricked devices?

@NeoCyber

1. I'm not knowledgable enough, but all seems legit from what I can see via PSP \ Netflix \ Plex.

2. I think the device isn't bright enough

3. from the edge that is close to the wall, it's around 40cm

4. Material is Cinewhite UHD 1.15 gain (https://elitescreens.com/front/front/productdetail/product/361)

2) I thought the picture looked pretty good. I have a feeling a 1.15 gain screen isn’t ideal for black levels. A lower gain UST screen would likely improve the picture. This is probably why it doesn’t seem bright enough.

#20 ·
Many many thanks! I have an Elite Starbright CLR screen with a 0.6 gain, waiting for the final piece of the puzzle... your brightness comments are a bit concerning.

I figure I'm less than 90d from pulling the trigger on a UST projector of some sort. Pretty sure it will be the Xgimi Lune 4k or the Dell.

HiSense is more than 2x the cost here in Canada, so I assumed it true 4K vs the Dell and the Xgimi offering... my bad. So I'm guessing the Sony at like, $20K would be the real deal? Makes sense.

True gentlemen, both of you! Thanks again.

NC

#22 ·
I wouldn’t put to much concern in native vs pixel shifting. They both have been proven to be very good methods of showing a 4k image. Unless your looking very closely at very fine text on a still image it’s nearly impossible to tell the difference.

#25 ·
@Ofir Kris

I'm wondering if a couple of the concerns/complaints about the 1080p Lune have been rectified in the 4K Lune:
1. Outside of a few pre-set modes (generally brightness levels), there are a lack of fine tune user settings (RBG, gamma ... etc), making PJ calibration sorely inadequate. Basically you take what you get and hope or screen material matches up well.
2. The original Lune was released without keystone correction but that was added later through an OTA. What image correction settings does the 4K model include?
3. Some users commented that the original Lune's implementation of HDR10 sources resulted in a muddied/poor color reproduction. This was not the case with non-HDR content. What is the 4K Lune's HDR image quality compared to non-HDR image?

I saw a YouTube video where a guy did a side by side HDR/non-HDR test on a Win10 desktop using a Chrome and Edge browser playing the same 4K UHD video. The Chrome browser had HDR turned on and the Edge browser without HDR support. The difference was noticeable enough to get me to hold off my UST purchase as it seemed waiting for a 4K UST may be worth it despite the current limited amount of 4K UHD content. See:

Thanks again for your patience with all of these questions.

#153 · (Edited)
I'm wondering if a couple of the concerns/complaints about the 1080p Lune have been rectified in the 4K Lune:
1. Outside of a few pre-set modes (generally brightness levels), there are a lack of fine tune user settings (RBG, gamma ... etc), making PJ calibration sorely inadequate. Basically you take what you get and hope or screen material matches up well.
I know this post is a little old, but in case anyone else comes across it, just so you know, this isn't the case. There's a Picture Mode feature on the Lune 1080p that allows the user to select between (I think....I'm not in front of it right now) "Warm", "Cold", "Standard", "Game", "Bright", and "User Mode" or "Custom Mode", or something like that. It includes RGB tweaks, but I haven't run across a Gamma feature yet (though, that's not a deal breaker as I can tweak Gamma through my HTPC)

#31 · (Edited)
99% of my usage is through PSP apps (Games, Netflix, Plex, Youtube) - I've used Google Translate camera to set everything initially - and don't use it anymore.
Having to use the chinese menu is bad, because even apk's installed get Chinese forced in, since device language pairs, and it's a total pain if you have to do that,

To summarize - I wouldn't be satisfied at all from this PJ if I didn't have the PSP to cover up.

#38 ·
I have just received my fixed frame "PET crystal" screen. I wanted to order a tension screen but the factory representative told me I will not get great results out of it when using a UST and that their fixed frame will be a lot better.
Eventually, I have ordered: ambient light rejecting ultrashort throw projector screen with ultra-thin frame PET crystal 120". Now, I will probably order the Xgimi lune 4k

#39 ·
Please give us your feedback when you get your projector.

After 4 months of consistently using UST projectors on the wall , I am still hesitant regarding which screen should I buy. Matte white screens give excellent results as regard brightness at night with low contrast . Pet crystal screens give you very good contrast and acceptable veiwing quality during day time , but the gain of these screens is 0.6-0.8 , will decrease brightness a lot. Fresnel screens will potentially solve both issues as its gain is 1.2 , but the size is limited to 100 inch and the shipping cost is extremely high.

This post has been deleted
#42 ·
The linked review was a valuable read even through Google Translate. I sure wish the link to the "Picture Adjustment" phone app, for the 4K Lune projector, was straight to the actual download link. The page it leads to along with translate made it impossible for me to figure out which app to download.

This review along with the earlier post about a XGIMI supported method from @adra to add English and other Android TV apps to the 4K Lune interface makes this UST a more desirable option than it was just yesterday.

#44 ·
In the review linked in @cyrilryo 's post there is mention of an application to assist in "Picture Adjustment" for the 4K Lune. I eventually found the download link "Extreme meter with the screen assistant 3.1.0". I unzipped it and the app appears to be a windows exe. I thought due to the review's picture that it was a phone app.
What ever, use at your own risk, as I don't know anything about the download site. This maybe the Android phone equivalent "XgimiAssistant".

#45 ·
In the review linked in @cyrilryo 's post there is mention of an application to assist in "Picture Adjustment" for the 4K Lune. I eventually found the download link "Extreme meter with the screen assistant 3.1.0". I unzipped it and the app appears to be a windows exe. I thought due to the review's picture that it was a phone app.

What ever, use at your own risk, as I don't know anything about the download site. This maybe the Android phone equivalent "XgimiAssistant".

I read a translated user review where the user was complaining that some adjustments could only be made with the phone app

#48 ·
Hi all,

Just bought and received a Lune 4k.
Played quickly a bit with it yesterday. First impressions:
1. super easy and fast initial set-up. Even if everything is in chinese, there's no issue with a translating app.
2. I don't have any problem to connect to the wifi. (Ofir Kris, did you finally manage to connect yours ?). Need to dig a bit more, but strangely, I don't have access to the whole menu when the VPN was on. No problem though when no VPN.
3. Plugged a european xiaomi Mi box 3 on one HDMI and my Xbox One S on another one. Netflix recognized the 4k UHD from the Mi Box 3, but the Lune 4k displayed the Xbox one S in Full HD only. Need to investigate more. In the setup menu of the Xbox, it shows that the Lune can only display 4k in 24Hz, which is a bit surprising. I will do more tests tonight.
4. The videoprojector is super bright, super sharp and super contrasted. I only have a white wall, and everything's fine. It's my first UST VP, but from what I've seen elsewhere in shops or at friend's places, it's definitly brighter than the wemax.
5. The bluetooth speaker option is cool, and the sound delivered by the Lune 4k is pretty awesome for a sound bar.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate. I'll do my best to answer.

P.S: Since it's my first post, i'd like to thank for all the discussions in the various threads, this forum is an information gold mine.

#54 ·
Just bought and received a Lune 4k.
Played quickly a bit with it yesterday. First impressions:
1. super easy and fast initial set-up. Even if everything is in chinese, there's no issue with a translating app.
2. I don't have any problem to connect to the wifi. (Ofir Kris, did you finally manage to connect yours ?). Need to dig a bit more, but strangely, I don't have access to the whole menu when the VPN was on. No problem though when no VPN.
3. Plugged a european xiaomi Mi box 3 on one HDMI and my Xbox One S on another one. Netflix recognized the 4k UHD from the Mi Box 3, but the Lune 4k displayed the Xbox one S in Full HD only. Need to investigate more. In the setup menu of the Xbox, it shows that the Lune can only display 4k in 24Hz, which is a bit surprising. I will do more tests tonight.
4. The videoprojector is super bright, super sharp and super contrasted. I only have a white wall, and everything's fine. It's my first UST VP, but from what I've seen elsewhere in shops or at friend's places, it's definitly brighter than the wemax.
5. The bluetooth speaker option is cool, and the sound delivered by the Lune 4k is pretty awesome for a sound bar
First off congratulations on your purchase and better yet on the initial positive impressions.
Yesterday I stumbled upon a Russian forum with a Xgimi Lune thread containing posts from both the original and 4K Lune owners. Here are the impressions of a 4K Lune owner who also had a Xiaomi UST. The text was filtered through Google Translate (Chrome browser) as I don't speak Russian.
"
A review about xgimi lune 4k in my subjective opinion:
1. brighter than xiaomi, not much, but watching with artificial lighting is clearly better.
2. seems a little quieter
2.1 Image settings are similar to xiaomi (brightness, colors, sharpness and added smoothness)
3. after setting (disabling enhancements) the picture is shown better, there is an immersive effect.
3.1 3D seemed to me better on Xgimi, on xiaomi glasses from time to time lost the image and showed just a vague
picture, everything is correct (maybe so far lucky)
4. HDR from an external device works, but it is very strange, films are shown from an external set-top box,
Youtube VP9.2 is more faded, the reason for the set-top box or projector is not yet known, I will test it with
another set-top box and cable.
5. You can not install applications without Root.
6. no partial translation via devsettings
7. HDMI CEC where is he? although not really necessary, I use the remote control from the projector only to
turn it on and off, the HDMI source is automatically connected and then everything is controlled from the set-top box.
8. The sound seemed to me better on the Xgimi, although I use either headphones or the output to the amplifier and normal speakers.
9. size is not in favor of Xgimi, it is big! and 0.25 distance is also not very much for me ten.
"
Of all the reviewers comments I'm not so sure that #5 is correct. They may not have used the apk renaming trick when they wrote those remarks. The original Lune has definitely been rooted along the lines of rooting Android phones. I did not see any posts where the 4K Lune has been rooted but that seems just to be no owner has the knowledge.

The most controversial statement I read in the forum posts, as stated by the specific thread owner is, "DOES NOT SUPPORT HDCP 2.2! This means that HDR mode WILL NOT WORK from external devices (console on Android, apple TV, PS4 PRO and so on)! The same goes for LUNE 4K". In other posts it seems that full 4K HDR will work but ONLY from apps run in the projector's Android OS.

Any 4K HDR HDCP 2.2 content from a external box at the very least has it's HDR colors messed with and looks very poor. This may account for the continuing confusion about how either of the two Lune UST projectors handle 4K HDR content. A test which could help clarify how the 4K Lune is truly handling 4K HDR HDCP 2.2 content, would be to view the same 4K HDR YouTube video once from the PJ's Android OS (should be good) and the other from an outside 4K Source (e.g. ROKU Ultra) and that should be "muddied up" or down sampled.

This Russian Lune thread talks about hacking and rooting among other ordinary owner related comments. Here is an interesting thing I picked up while reading the posts.
1. Here is an Android phone app which among other things allows you to run and install applications from your phone.
CetusPlay: Remote | Fire Stick | KODI | Android TV

This app has a number of functions as a general alternate projector remote and game pad but it also allows file manager navigation and a simpler keypad when side loading apks.

2. If you want to side load any apks the renaming trick needs to be used (e.g. netflix.apk -> netflix.apk1), otherwise you the apk will not be seen by the file manager.

I did not post the link to the Russian BBS as I've noticed post go missing (likely admin deleted due to forum rule violations) so I'm trying to avoid that but still provide relevant thread info.

#49 ·
Hi spacewil,

I hope you will enjoy your new Lune 4k immensely.

Any impressions you may have from your new lune will be highly appreciated. Was it bought online?

I just found out that you can search Netflix for "test pattern" and running it can tell exactly what format your tv/projector can handle.

#50 ·
Thanks,
Yes so far I have been very pleased with the Lune 4k.
I bought it on JD.com since they start the discounts for the 11.11.
JD offers a 7 days guarantee refund if there is a better price, so if XGIMI decides to drop the prices I will still be able to get the additional ones.

Thanks for the test pattern of netflix. I will try it tonight and let you know.

#56 ·
Continued to explore the Lune 4k possibilities yesterday and confirm some points mentionned by @3DSammy.
each HDMI port can be set up for HDMI 1.4 or HDMI2.0 display through a menu. By default mine were all on HDMI1.4.
When I switched to HDMI2.0, the Xbox One S recognized the 4k 60Hz, the HDR 10 etc... Confirmed also the Lune 4k is not Dolby Vision compliant.

When tried Netflix with those settings, the HDR washed the colors (the Netflix logo looked pale orange for instance).
Same happended with my Xiaomi box. When disabled the HDR from the Xbox One S, it looked to me the quality was better than before however.

Will try to install a youtube to the projector this week end and check how the 4k HDR content is displayed compared to external boxes.

#57 ·
... Will try to install a youtube to the projector this week end and check how the 4k HDR content is displayed compared to external boxes.
I was working through the pros/cons of using the 4K Lune native apps (assuming new ones can be installed and work as expected). That was when I started wondering about the digital audio to my surround AV Receiver. Obviously the SPDIF optical cable is a possibility but some audio formats are not support (e.g. Dolby Atmos) using that connection.

Now I'm wondering if the 4K Lune's HDMI ARC port can be used to output audio when a 4K Lune native app is the player/streamer of the content (e.g. Netflix). Likely that HDMI ARC port would not be sending a video signal but it may be sending digital audio with all source formats supported. That could make using the native Android TV less of a disadvantage versus using the external devices I already own especially as it isn't a downgrade of my surround audio.

Still a disadvantage is that I loose my AV Receiver's (Onkyo) image/4K processing options. I'm not sure how valuable they would be but options are never good to loose.

Some of the other competing UST's had issues with their HDMI ARC implementation when combined with an external device, particularly a 4K Blu-ray player. It was suspected that the HDMI ARC channel became overloaded with the two way data traffic despite being used with an 18GPS rated HDMI cable. The PJ image would be disrupted or stutter on occasion and only with Blue-ray. I don't remember if streamed sources were mentioned as having this issue.

The reporting owner disabled ARC on the HDMI port and used the PJ's SPDIF optical output to get the surround audio stream and the problem disappeared.

#60 ·
Tried netflix via apk on the PJ (installed via aptoide) - and 4K content had issues, image was choppy and quality was low, making it impossible to use.
when Netflix 4K is played via PSP - it looks great.

Any explanations to this?
Noticed that specific issue also with JMGO U1 and S2 ... I don’t have a firm explanation, but , I noticed that the max resolution of the built in android OS is 1080p although the U1 is supposed to be 4K. However the image of the Netflix apk on the projector is extremely low in quality, it is not even 1080p.

#65 ·
Here is a 1080p Lune related comment that I suspect is encouraging for the 4K Lune as well. No indication about 4K UHD quality though. This is a user comment from a Russian Lune thread:

"No one tried to install PLEX on Lune? for some reason, my code does not issue to connect to the server.

Suddenly it worked. Connected. I'm testing."

Take it for what it's worth as there hasn't been any additional comment on image quality but I'm not sure if Plex can even stream the bandwidth required for 4K UHD files so image quality would not be a challenge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.