Xgimi Lune 4K Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 45Likes

post #1 of 249 Old 10-31-2018, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Xgimi Lune 4K Owners Thread (No Price Talk)

Got the Lune 4K, here are the Initial results:
1. It works with PSP 4 pro with 4K 60FPS content (tested with 4K RGB setting with Fifa 18) - no need to use splitter as far as I can see.
2. Can't install any apk's on it, so I can't stream 4K content on my Plex directly, tried via PSP plex app but video had buffering issues.
3. Menu cannot be changed to English.
4. Brighter than the Wemax but still barely watchable in when all lights are on, image quality + sound are superior to the Xiaomi Wemax I've owned.

Seems that Xgimi is working very hard to make this projector for domestic CN usage only.

Will test 4K via HDMI later and post some pictures.
3DSammy and NeoCyber like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 249 Old 10-31-2018, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Congrats on your Lune 4K
for installing apk's try changing the name extension so that it will show up like xbmc.apk to xbmc.apk1
once you see the xbmc.apk1 via USB then press the OK button & select run by using your google translate phone then select install in one of the options(andy logo) use translate again here. don't install anything google as it will mess up the system then you might need a full reset, well that's what happened to my CC & Z6 but not sure if it's the same with the lune.

you could install shafa market which you can configure to english then you can have options like clean, uninstall, test your network etc. to change language go to the last menu then the two lower menu on the right is the settings.
http://www.shafa.com/market

on 11-11 xgimi will release a 4K PJ(rumors) that will be against the jmgo X3

jmgo X3
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...rdable-4k.html

XGimi CC, XGimi Z6, UKCSIS, Vmai M200 Pico
Xbox One S, LG SH4

Last edited by wheelee; 10-31-2018 at 12:47 PM.
post #3 of 249 Old 10-31-2018, 01:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Congrats on your purchase! I have been looking all over the net for info (in English!) on the Lune 4K, to no avail. Would appreciate anything else you have to share. Thanks for starting this thread though I suspect there won't be too many owners chiming in. I suspect there aren't too many of them outside China (like you mentioned).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 249 Old 10-31-2018, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Xgimi Lune 4K Owners Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofir Kris View Post
Got the Lune 4K, here are the Initial results:

1. It works with PSP 4 pro with 4K 60FPS content (tested with 4K RGB setting with Fifa 18) - no need to use splitter as far as I can see.

2. Can't install any apk's on it, so I can't stream 4K content on my Plex directly, tried via PSP plex app but video had buffering issues.

3. Menu cannot be changed to English.

4. Brighter than the Wemax but still barely watchable in when all lights are on, image quality + sound are superior to the Xiaomi Wemax I've owned.

Seems that Xgimi is working very hard to make this projector for domestic CN usage only.

Will test 4K via HDMI later and post some pictures.

Congratulations! Hope it’s awesome.

I’m glad the PS4 is working with HDR. Can you try playing some HDCP protected content such as HDR movies on Netflix and see if it downscales to SDR? Maybe som screen shots too please

Thanks

Last edited by bix26; 10-31-2018 at 01:45 PM.
post #5 of 249 Old 10-31-2018, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bix26 View Post
Congratulations! Hope it’s awesome.

I’m glad the PS4 is working with HDR. Can you try playing some HDCP protected content such as HDR movies on Netflix and see if it downscales to SDR? Maybe som screen shots too please

Thanks
@wheelee - Thanks for the tip - it worked.
Netflix is streaming @ 4K via PSP app, I couldn't install the apk directly (tried several versions).

Some other points:
1. Sound quality is very good but on movies it's difficult to understand talks, it's like it's in some lite Karaoke mode.
2. Wifi wouldn't connect - I'm using ethernet instead.

I guess there is some learning curve.
post #6 of 249 Old 10-31-2018, 06:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
@wheelee - Thanks for the tip - it worked.

Netflix is streaming @ 4K via PSP app, I couldn't install the apk directly (tried several versions).

Some other points:

1. Sound quality is very good but on movies it's difficult to understand talks, it's like it's in some lite Karaoke mode.

2. Wifi wouldn't connect - I'm using ethernet instead.

I guess there is some learning curve.

Well that’s a good sign, I don’t think netflix would play in 4k withought hdcp 2.2 is there anything in the output setting or system info that confirms HDCP 2.2? Sorry for all the questions
post #7 of 249 Old 11-01-2018, 01:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Well that’s a good sign, I don’t think netflix would play in 4k withought hdcp 2.2 is there anything in the output setting or system info that confirms HDCP 2.2? Sorry for all the questions
There is an indicator on top left showing 2160P 60Hz + Netflix video info is showing the quality too, tested on 1080P HDR as well. (only through PSP app)

Any idea why the wifi won't connect? (tried 2.4 + 5hz with no success)
post #8 of 249 Old 11-01-2018, 06:42 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
... Any idea why the wifi won't connect? (tried 2.4 + 5hz with no success)
There is a user of a Xiaomi Mi UST who has trouble connecting his WiFi and eventually used his phone as a hotspot. He even applied an OTA firmware update through that connection way. If you could try a similar hotspot connection you maybe able to eliminate a WiFi hardware issue with your 4K-Lune. That would mean you could focus on router/PJ settings compatibility.

I be guessing, but it may come down to encryption settings and what the PJ supports. You could briefly turn off WiFi encryption on the router to see if the PJ can connect then turn it right back on as a method of eliminating that possibility.
post #9 of 249 Old 11-01-2018, 06:56 AM

Quote:
... I don’t think netflix would play in 4k withought hdcp 2.2 ...
I can confirm that end-to-end HDCP 2.2 support is a requirement for all 4K UHD streaming services as you stated. I've just read up on the 4K UHD requirements for all major services (Netflix, Amazon, ... etc). Of course with automatic down scaling and some 4K images (PC screens, console menus) not needing copy-right protection this can be confusing to know for sure, unless you have a HDCP 2.2 test equipment or a clear statement from the manufacturer.

In any even these initial tests are encouraging.
post #10 of 249 Old 11-01-2018, 07:46 AM

Quote:
There is an indicator on top left showing 2160P 60Hz + Netflix video info is showing the quality too, tested on 1080P HDR as well. (only through PSP app)

@Ofir Kris

If your fielding questions then inquiring minds would like to know:
1. What color and/or image settings are included with the projector as I think they were lacking on the 1080p Lune?
2. Does the PJ support 3D and if it does how is the quality? I'm fairly sure the adverts said it does support 3D.
3. What level of ambient light washes out the image? Below I outlined a way to measure amount of ambient light so that we can all subjectively relate to the wash out you are experiencing.

Measuring ambient light:
- Install a lux meter app on your phone such as Lux Light Meter (for Android).
- Point the phone at the screen with the projector off so we can get a rough idea how much ambient light is hitting the projector screen.
- For the app referenced above click "Read" to the left of the settings icon. The pop-up will display text with the bottom bullet describing the supported lux sensitivity range of your phone's light sensor. Please include those range values along with the average lux ambient light reading you get.
Note that the light sensor on a phone is actually front facing so you need to point the front of the phone at the screen area.

Here's an example of my phone's (Oneplus 5) showing a sensor range of 0-3267 lux or from 0.0-3044.2 foot-candles. My screen area measured a 1 avg and 2 max Lux with the balcony window as 9 avg and 14 max on a dull overcast mid morning day. I have blackout curtains shielding the screen area from other window light but they were drawn back on the balcony window. Ambient light is not directly on the screen area but mainly from the back of the room where the balcony's light reflects.

I think that you may have better luck with getting Android TV streaming apps installed (e.g. Netflix) if you side loaded Aptoide TV which is like a Google Playstore for Android TV but is often used to work around the issues your experiencing. Here is Aptoide TV's web site with details on what it can do for you.
post #11 of 249 Old 11-01-2018, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the answer. Netflix won’t require HDCP for certain content. To be extra sure that it has HDCP 2.2 I would try something from a major studio like Avengers or Star Wars. It’s possible that the app will adjust the output settings according to the copy protection requirements of each individual program.

As for WiFi, China might not support some of the stricter WiFi encryption standards. Some of the smart phone makers have had spyware and malware installed on their devices. I would highly recommend sticking with Ethernet. If your router is far away from your projector you can use an inexpensive power to Ethernet adapter. This will also make streaming much more stable and reliable.
post #12 of 249 Old 11-01-2018, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

@3DSammy I've tested with lights on,
1. screen only (PJ off) - 98 lux
2. PJ on - 185 LUX
* Tested with iphone x and some free itunes app - with back sensor (iphone has it on both sides)

@bix26 I've attached a photo of new video on Netflix with 4K - info of netflix showing stream info with stream speed, which seems accurate, as for Disney\Marvel content - there is no 4K option for those on Netflix unless you have a specific video you know of that you'd like me to test.

Screen info - 135" Elite Cinetension B
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-5338.jpg
Views:	692
Size:	817.1 KB
ID:	2476578  
3DSammy likes this.

Last edited by Ofir Kris; 11-01-2018 at 10:48 AM.
post #13 of 249 Old 11-01-2018, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

2. PJ on - 185 LUX

@bix26 I've attached a photo of new video on Netflix with 4K - info of netflix showing stream info with stream speed, which seems accurate, as for Disney\Marvel content - there is no 4K option for those on Netflix unless you have a specific video you know of that you'd like me to test.

The picture looks excellent! Very good color. It’s showing 2160p and the color looks better than SDR. My uncle is going to China in December I might have him pick me up one.
post #14 of 249 Old 11-01-2018, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

@bix26
Projector isn't in center as you can see in photo, and focus wasn't set to be crisp (I moved the PJ) - so I expect a better picture afterwards.
post #15 of 249 Old 11-01-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
2. PJ on - 185 LUX
* Tested with iphone x and some free itunes app - with back sensor (iphone has it on both sides)
Thanks so much for answering all of these questions.
Seems like the ambient light is high at least compared to my own controlled viewing conditions. Do you have any options to better control ambient daylight? What is your screen material and its gain?

I'm using blackout curtains and IoT (LIFX) WiFi dimmer lights. I have my HT setup integrated with Google Assistant and a Harmony Hub.

Keep reporting as your experience evolves. Thanks again.
post #16 of 249 Old 11-01-2018, 01:31 PM

@Ofir Kris

Here are some links you may be interested in about the 4K Lune and/or the projector's Android TV OS. I have no idea what your tech/hacking skills are like but XGIMI seems to be reasonable about hacking their devices at least on their BBS forum.

XGIMI 4K Lune Firmware (full and OTA)
XGIMI OS root (Extreme meter V3.x firmware root) - Please use at your own risk
Official XGIMI 4K Lune forum

The biggest thing posted in the forum is demands for image color control settings. These were also missing/limited with the FHD Lune settings.
Ofir Kris likes this.
post #17 of 249 Old 11-01-2018, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I read the google translate on the media coverage of the PJ, and I was wondering, may I please ask you a few questions?

1. The article seemed to suggest (or perhaps the poor Google translate did) that this PJ isn't true 4K, but rather it's the pixel-shift version that is similar to Dell's... but not like the HiSense one (hence the price difference). Is this the case?

2. Somewhere in my travels I think someone said it was not as bright as the 1080p Lune, not that you have one, but bright enough for dim rooms? Your shot of the movie looks awesome btw

3. I was a bit taken aback by the part of the article that said the PJ must be 50cm (20") away from the wall to get to 100" screen size... I have a console table that I want to sit it on, but I wasn't banking on moving the table away from the wall... Is this the case? You have an even bigger screen, but the throw ratio seems off in that article.

And maybe one bonus question please... is your screen light-rejecting, either CLR or ALR? What is your gain?

Yeah I know that was two bonus questions, I can't help myself!! Thanks for your time, and if you don't have the opportunity to get to these no worries, but I'm sure we'd all love to know.

NC
Ofir Kris likes this.
post #18 of 249 Old 11-01-2018, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

@3DSammy - Thanks, the concern is that I will be lacking future firmware updates, on a very new device which might be vital, can doing this brick the device? have you seen users with bricked devices?

@NeoCyber

1. I'm not knowledgable enough, but all seems legit from what I can see via PSP \ Netflix \ Plex.
2. I think the device isn't bright enough
3. from the edge that is close to the wall, it's around 40cm
4. Material is Cinewhite UHD 1.15 gain (https://elitescreens.com/front/front...il/product/361)
post #19 of 249 Old 11-01-2018, 06:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoCyber View Post
I read the google translate on the media coverage of the PJ, and I was wondering, may I please ask you a few questions?

1. The article seemed to suggest (or perhaps the poor Google translate did) that this PJ isn't true 4K, but rather it's the pixel-shift version that is similar to Dell's... but not like the HiSense one (hence the price difference). Is this the case?

This projector uses pixel shifting, so does the Hisense. Any projector sub $5,000 msrp is does not have native 4k imagers.
post #20 of 249 Old 11-01-2018, 06:55 PM

Liked: 2
Many many thanks! I have an Elite Starbright CLR screen with a 0.6 gain, waiting for the final piece of the puzzle... your brightness comments are a bit concerning.

I figure I'm less than 90d from pulling the trigger on a UST projector of some sort. Pretty sure it will be the Xgimi Lune 4k or the Dell.

HiSense is more than 2x the cost here in Canada, so I assumed it true 4K vs the Dell and the Xgimi offering... my bad. So I'm guessing the Sony at like, $20K would be the real deal? Makes sense.

True gentlemen, both of you! Thanks again.

NC
post #21 of 249 Old 11-01-2018, 09:31 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 13
You mention "still barely watchable in when all lights are on", which screen are you using? I'm wondering if using a screen dedicated to UST PJ's would help or not. i.e. maybe the Snowhite 120" screen.
post #22 of 249 Old 11-01-2018, 10:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoCyber View Post
Many many thanks! I have an Elite Starbright CLR screen with a 0.6 gain, waiting for the final piece of the puzzle... your brightness comments are a bit concerning.

I figure I'm less than 90d from pulling the trigger on a UST projector of some sort. Pretty sure it will be the Xgimi Lune 4k or the Dell.

HiSense is more than 2x the cost here in Canada, so I assumed it true 4K vs the Dell and the Xgimi offering... my bad. So I'm guessing the Sony at like, $20K would be the real deal? Makes sense.

True gentlemen, both of you! Thanks again.

NC

I wouldn’t put to much concern in native vs pixel shifting. They both have been proven to be very good methods of showing a 4k image. Unless your looking very closely at very fine text on a still image it’s nearly impossible to tell the difference.
post #23 of 249 Old 11-01-2018, 11:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Xgimi Lune 4K Owners Thread

Quote:
@3DSammy - Thanks, the concern is that I will be lacking future firmware updates, on a very new device which might be vital, can doing this brick the device? have you seen users with bricked devices?

@NeoCyber

1. I'm not knowledgable enough, but all seems legit from what I can see via PSP \ Netflix \ Plex.

2. I think the device isn't bright enough

3. from the edge that is close to the wall, it's around 40cm

4. Material is Cinewhite UHD 1.15 gain (https://elitescreens.com/front/front...il/product/361)

2) I thought the picture looked pretty good. I have a feeling a 1.15 gain screen isn’t ideal for black levels. A lower gain UST screen would likely improve the picture. This is probably why it doesn’t seem bright enough.

Last edited by bix26; 11-01-2018 at 11:56 PM.
post #24 of 249 Old 11-02-2018, 05:30 AM

Quote:
@3DSammy - Thanks, the concern is that I will be lacking future firmware updates, on a very new device which might be vital, can doing this brick the device? have you seen users with bricked devices?...
@Ofir Kris

If you don't root/hack phones or are unfamiliar with adb (PC to Android device commands) don't try to root your projector. So far the only successful root that I've read about is with a Xiaomi Mi UST and they needed a special modified HDMI cable to pull that off.

So far I've not read of anyone bricking their UST projector. The Xiaomi and likely the other android OS projectors have a full factory copy of the OS available and can be reinstalled through the device's recovery. That's generally standard on Android devices. Of course you'd likely loose any personal settings and/or data (e.g. side loaded apks), but at least you'd not be bricked.

The only value of the link to the 4K Lune's official ROM and OTA files are that if by chance you failed in a hack of your PJ's OS. That's highly unlikely as you do not have root and are only installing add on apk's. So some of those links are for information only or for others who have Android specific hacking skills.
post #25 of 249 Old 11-02-2018, 06:14 AM

@Ofir Kris

I'm wondering if a couple of the concerns/complaints about the 1080p Lune have been rectified in the 4K Lune:
1. Outside of a few pre-set modes (generally brightness levels), there are a lack of fine tune user settings (RBG, gamma ... etc), making PJ calibration sorely inadequate. Basically you take what you get and hope or screen material matches up well.
2. The original Lune was released without keystone correction but that was added later through an OTA. What image correction settings does the 4K model include?
3. Some users commented that the original Lune's implementation of HDR10 sources resulted in a muddied/poor color reproduction. This was not the case with non-HDR content. What is the 4K Lune's HDR image quality compared to non-HDR image?

I saw a YouTube video where a guy did a side by side HDR/non-HDR test on a Win10 desktop using a Chrome and Edge browser playing the same 4K UHD video. The Chrome browser had HDR turned on and the Edge browser without HDR support. The difference was noticeable enough to get me to hold off my UST purchase as it seemed waiting for a 4K UST may be worth it despite the current limited amount of 4K UHD content. See:

Thanks again for your patience with all of these questions.
post #26 of 249 Old 11-02-2018, 06:30 AM

Liked: 0
Thanks for all the impressions. I just received the Wemax Pro, but haven't opened it yet. I may just send it back for a refund. You mentioned that the image was superior. How much better?

Thanks
post #27 of 249 Old 11-03-2018, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuber80 View Post
Thanks for all the impressions. I just received the Wemax Pro, but haven't opened it yet. I may just send it back for a refund. You mentioned that the image was superior. How much better?

Thanks
@tuber80 I had both and preferred the Lune, the difference is mainly in 4K content.
post #28 of 249 Old 11-04-2018, 01:01 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 4
@Ofir Kris

I understand you prefer the lune 4k to the wemax in regards to 4k content. How do they compare in regards to brightness?
post #29 of 249 Old 11-04-2018, 04:12 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 13
How painful is it to figure things out and navigate w/o english? Chinese is as good as Greek to me. thanks.
post #30 of 249 Old 11-04-2018, 04:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeOxidizer View Post
@Ofir Kris

I understand you prefer the lune 4k to the wemax in regards to 4k content. How do they compare in regards to brightness?
the Lune is superior in brightness too (not by much), and by contrast (by much)
3DSammy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page