Frame Interpolation and the Soap Opera effect - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40Likes

post #31 of 104 Old 11-06-2018, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1077 Post(s)
Liked: 577
As the director intended, is kind of a myth when talking about 24fps--it was all they had to live with back in the day. Sure, there were directors that had a knack for using mood and darkness to set-up the viewing audience--Hitchcock was one. However, most directors didn't know much about film, lighting, etc. and had camera operators that knew how to use the cameras and 24fps to it's fullest. Film stock back then was very slow. But slow film stock was the perfect choice for 24fps since it required slower shutter speeds resulting in reduced judder (more bluring between frames during object movement). Also, limited panning and camera/lighting placement requirements drove most of the scenes. It was actually Jerry Lewis that pulled films out of the dark into bright, punchy film productions. He created his own multi-room studio, lighting/filming techniques, etc. that are still used today, along with video assist. He made film brighter and more enjoyable in a sense, despite his own personality and failings. But to be enjoyable, movies at 24fps still need slow shutter speeds furing the filming process. Of course, when we watch films on TV through cable, they are all shown at 30fps or 60fps. Most streaming services and blu ray players, however, can present movies in 24fps format.

This is a good historical reference as to why 24fps. https://www.filmindependent.org/blog...es-per-second/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 104 Old 11-06-2018, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Dave, I agree, I'm not here to shove my own preferences down others' throats but I expect them to give me the same courtesy.

3DBob, Director Intention is just another type of "appeal to authority" which is an invalid argument, generally speaking.

And it's often not even true.

Plenty of directors have lamented the onerous restrictions that 24 fps puts on them for action and panning shots, and when they have to shoot something panning too fast for 24 fps anyway, they likely wince through the viewfinder and in the cutting room as the camera limitations butcher their otherwise awesome footage.

Instead of appealing to "director's intent" in terms of framerate alone, I'd rather appeal to their intent with respect to the overall shot, and if the overall shot is moving so quickly it produces panning judder at 24 fps, then the director intended to shoot the scene panning that quickly, and would likely have preferred judder not being there. And even if they absolutely love panning judder (which doesn't make sense to me, in an artistic sense), I don't see why I shouldn't value smoothness instead, or digress to their perspective.

I find slow framerate to be really distracting, but if they filmed at 120 fps they could easily produce 24 fps and 60 fps versions for Bluray or streaming and let people pick which stream they prefer. And after several years of that being the case, I believe whole-heartedly that 24 fps would be used by a die-hard minority exclusively, but they would be very much a minority, of that I have no doubt.
Dave in Green likes this.
post #33 of 104 Old 11-06-2018, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Hate it. It's always the first setting I turn off when I buy a new TV.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 104 Old 11-06-2018, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 3782 Post(s)
Liked: 2996
Seems to me as if there are two different types of director's intent being discussed here. The first would be the director's intent based on the limitations he was given to work with and the second would be his intent if he didn't have those limitations. The first is the reality of how the movie was actually filmed under his direction and the second is speculative. Most old movie buffs consider actual director's intent to be as close as possible to how the movie played in commercial cinemas when it was released.
post #35 of 104 Old 11-06-2018, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked: 661
I've never understood why people "care" about the director's "intent". I disagree with a lot of director's feelings on 3D and even immersive audio so WTF would I care what they think? They might know how to make a good movie, but that doesn't mean I have to agree with everything they do. A movie is not just the director, after all. The screenwriters and actors and sound guys deserve a lot of credit, but instead you get "Steven Spielberg Presents" (even when he's NOT the director just becuase people know his name! Steven Spielberg presents BACK TO THE FUTURE (yeah, forget all about Robert Zemeckis; he's not as famous).

The point is if you LIKE the interpolation effect, why would you put some director's preference over your own when it's you that has to watch it? Part of my problem with interpolation is the glitches during high speed effects (basically "blur" elements in 24fps turn into "ghostly objects" at 60fps. I've also had some issues with KODI and interpolation getting "jumpy" after awhile (out of sync). I've never had that problem with 24fps BD playback, but I've seen it with cable TV, etc. I think it works better with KODI changing the display rate, but I've still gotten occasional glitches. That sort of thing RUINS the movie right in the middle of playback (I have to either stop/restart to turn it off in the middle of the movie or put up with jumpy video). So for me, it's not ALL about the so-called "soap operate effect" but there's other glitches with interpolation that would not exist if they used NATIVE high-speed filming. And NATIVE is what we ought to be aiming to get in the future. 24fps looks AWFUL with fast pans. That's why so many old movies do SLOW pans. And I still think CGI looks fake with higher frame rates because they haven't mastered perfect motion at higher rates. The Hobbit looked the worst when CGI was in play. I thought it looked good where it wasn't.

Click THEATER (Updated: May-22-2019) for pics: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Dialog Lift - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub; 2nd Room (Updated Apr-22-2019): 48" Plasma TV, Carver AL-III, Carver C-5 Pre-Amp, Technics SH-AC500D, Dual Carver TFM-35x Amps (Active Bi-Amp), Klipsch Surrounds ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S, LD, GameCube : Props (Updated 10-13-19)
post #36 of 104 Old 11-06-2018, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
Seems to me as if there are two different types of director's intent being discussed here. The first would be the director's intent based on the limitations he was given to work with and the second would be his intent if he didn't have those limitations. The first is the reality of how the movie was actually filmed under his direction and the second is speculative. Most old movie buffs consider actual director's intent to be as close as possible to how the movie played in commercial cinemas when it was released.
Hmm. Not sure I (totally)agree with that last sentence. Often you will see a release of a "Director's Cut" on blu ray years after the theatrical release. Editors (those that actually create the movie from all the dailies), actually have their own Oscar category, and it's left up to the producers or film investors to select the final cut TOTALLY based on commercially viable content and making money (unless the Director is the prime producer/investor as well)...I would say, though, that in the last couple of years, directors have had more say in the final release, usually because they, too, have an Oscar for directing.
post #37 of 104 Old 11-06-2018, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 2128 Post(s)
Liked: 1074
Quote:
This is correct IMO, I would have loved to have given Alfred Hitchcock an IMAX camera or an Arri Alexa 65 and see what he would have done. The Birds, Psycho, North by Northwest, Vertigo and the list goes on would have been great movies I’m sure, but they are already great movies and letting them remain what they are should be the intent. If you want to turn on a feature that you think improves them then that’s fine. I can make them become 3D even the B&W’s he made can be colorized etc etc.

The truth is he understood what the limitations of the technology and made movies within those limits.

It is no different than taking a priceless antique firearm and polishing the patina off it and sanding the stock and coating it with modern polyurethane. It will look great and better than new but now it is no longer what it was.

Now if a modern director made a movie in say 1970 and he’s still involved in the industry and wants to pull his movie back and reprocess it and release it again as new and improved he can do that. It is no longer a 1970 movie it is now a 2018 movie. Technology moves ahead. If you could bring Hitch back and show him some of today’s blockbusters he would leave being amazed by the images he saw and I think he would be saying looks great but what happened to the plot.

This might sound strange to some but one of the things I like best about FP is looking up and seeing the light travel thru the air and twinkle in the airborne dust. That’s equally nostalgic as being close to film like in the image.

I have no desire to watch something filmed and shown commercially at 120 FPS converted to 24 for the same reason, directors intent.

On a side note my mother used to tell me as you get older the years go by faster. I always thought that was silly as time is a constant. Until I read a report that proved my mother correct. As you age the processor speed slows in the brain and as every input in a day is logged away. In terms of how is time processed in terms of a year as the human clock slows the amount of memories (FPS) is lessened. if the processor slows to half speed then the length of a year is lessened to 6 months.

This could directly relate to preference of film speed etc just as some of us see rainbows and some don’t.

I have no issues with high frame rates they look great to me. I enjoy content shown thaqt way. It doesn’t give me discomfort. But I still would rather see a classic film shot movie as a film like presentation.

Bud
post #38 of 104 Old 11-06-2018, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I will agree that Directors used the technology of the day the best they could, but the camera men, audio guys and editors, and producers (the money guys) were the final product. I do admire the directors that have won Oscars, or were up for Oscars as they were able to poke through the film industries love of money first and foremost...
post #39 of 104 Old 11-06-2018, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DBob View Post
Hmm. Not sure I (totally)agree with that last sentence. Often you will see a release of a "Director's Cut" on blu ray years after the theatrical release. ...
Oh sure, I almost mentioned director's cut editions in my previous post. Reality is that the director doesn't have 100% control over how the movie ends up appearing in the original release or even a subsequent director's cut. The point I was making in my last post is that the movie as originally released demonstrated the director's intent within all the limitations placed on him by the whole process at the time of release.
post #40 of 104 Old 11-06-2018, 02:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I will agree that Directors used the technology of the day the best they could, but the camera men, audio guys and editors, and producers (the money guys) were the final product. I do admire the directors that have won Oscars, or were up for Oscars as they were able to poke through the film industries love of money first and foremost...
I have watched enough credits in my life to realize that there is a small army working together to create a movie. Henry Ford didn’t put his cars together also. But the world we live in has always demanded we give someone credit for whatever is created.

When someone says directors intent he or she is the figurehead we point to but we are more pointing at the finished product and all that played a part in it. Hitchcock and Welles then and Nolan and Spielberg now couldn’t do it on their own, but a lot of credit has to go to those guys for what we see on the screen. So we give the director the credit. Maybe it should be the guy that wrote the book first or in a non fiction maybe the guy that lived the adventure.

You are right it is about money first and foremost and money is not a dirty word and we can at the same time make money and create art. We can also make money and create garbage and a lot of that has also been done in the history of cinema. And to be truthful one mans garbage is another mans art.

Twenty years from now maybe it will only be ten, but at some point there will be a new technology and people will be saying my god people used to watch 120FPS images on a flat screen with tiny holes in it to let the sound thru. Jurassic World XV is so much better in person than on a screen. Maybe you will leave the show covered in mud and dinosaur dung and sunburned. But there will be some old guy saying I love the 2D 120 FPS because that’s how I remember seeing it as a kid.
BattleAxeVR likes this.

Bud
post #41 of 104 Old 11-06-2018, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
On a side note my mother used to tell me as you get older the years go by faster. I always thought that was silly as time is a constant. Until I read a report that proved my mother correct. As you age the processor speed slows in the brain and as every input in a day is logged away. In terms of how is time processed in terms of a year as the human clock slows the amount of memories (FPS) is lessened. if the processor slows to half speed then the length of a year is lessened to 6 months.
Horse crap. Time seems to move faster as you get older for one reason only. Repetition. I go to work and do the SAME THING (more or less) every single day. As years go by, I think back and it's a BLUR because there was NOTHING to differentiate one day from another. But things like vacations, etc. go by SLOWLY (i.e. I went on a 5 week ocean trip to Europe and around the UK/Ireland/Germany/France/Belgium) from Florida. The 9-day trip across the ocean were some of the LONGEST in my life. It just never ended. The entire trip seemed to last forever (all new stuff). But back to work and it's all a blur again. And I've had lots of pains and things that should make it seem longer, but it doesn't. It's all about memories. You don't store what doesn't matter. When you're young, it's ALL NEW. As you get older, it gets repetitious from eating to places you go, etc. School is different every year so it seems longer. Work tends to be repetitive so it blurs as there's nothing to differentiate it.

Processing speed.... ridiculous.
russellhk likes this.

Click THEATER (Updated: May-22-2019) for pics: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Dialog Lift - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub; 2nd Room (Updated Apr-22-2019): 48" Plasma TV, Carver AL-III, Carver C-5 Pre-Amp, Technics SH-AC500D, Dual Carver TFM-35x Amps (Active Bi-Amp), Klipsch Surrounds ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S, LD, GameCube : Props (Updated 10-13-19)
post #42 of 104 Old 11-06-2018, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
. But there will be some old guy saying I love the 2D 120 FPS because that’s how I remember seeing it as a kid.
yup, about the same time Avatar sequels come out...
bud16415 likes this.
post #43 of 104 Old 11-06-2018, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumX View Post
Horse crap. Time seems to move faster as you get older for one reason only. Repetition. I go to work and do the SAME THING (more or less) every single day. As years go by, I think back and it's a BLUR because there was NOTHING to differentiate one day from another. But things like vacations, etc. go by SLOWLY (i.e. I went on a 5 week ocean trip to Europe and around the UK/Ireland/Germany/France/Belgium) from Florida. The 9-day trip across the ocean were some of the LONGEST in my life. It just never ended. The entire trip seemed to last forever (all new stuff). But back to work and it's all a blur again. And I've had lots of pains and things that should make it seem longer, but it doesn't. It's all about memories. You don't store what doesn't matter. When you're young, it's ALL NEW. As you get older, it gets repetitious from eating to places you go, etc. School is different every year so it seems longer. Work tends to be repetitive so it blurs as there's nothing to differentiate it.

Processing speed.... ridiculous.
Sounds like you should have been a cruise ship captain then, and you could have lived almost forever. Wait that wouldn’t work because then that would be your job and time would fly by. Work is the real problem and I think now I understand why everyone likes being unemployed. It gives them a fuller life that goes by slowly and is more enjoyable.

I often wonder about animals my dog has no concept of time or the inevitable end of life. They just proceeded thru life one moment to the next.

To bring this back on topic and this is AVS I will have to watch one of my favorite Nolan films again Memento (2000) oh dang it was shot 35mm I will have to add some frames to it to make the movie longer in my memory.

Bud
post #44 of 104 Old 11-07-2018, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
That is why we see the Charlie Chaplin effect when those old movies are shown today at 24fps.

Which reminds me of something I absolutely wanted to share:

Peter Jackson has fixed these shortcomings in his latest documentary, I definitely have to watch this achievement.
BattleAxeVR likes this.

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde

Last edited by Frank714; 11-07-2018 at 10:08 AM.
post #45 of 104 Old 11-07-2018, 12:09 PM

That's lovely. Peter Jackson is a saint. And a pioneer.
post #46 of 104 Old 11-07-2018, 04:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 828 Post(s)
Liked: 549
I must be getting old because I don't think "colorization" fixes old movies or war documentaries, and I can't stand the soap opera effect caused by frame interpolation.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...eap-build.html
Epson HC3700/HC2000; Screen - 151.5" 16:9/TV or 143.5" 2.35:1/HT at a seating distance of 12-15 feet; Yamaha RXV675 for 7.4; Speakers - Infinity Primus; Subs - 3 Polk PSW10s, 1 BIC F12; Headphones - 5 JVC wireless; Sony 3D Blu-ray player/six pairs 3D glasses.
post #47 of 104 Old 11-07-2018, 08:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1106 View Post
I must be getting old because I don't think "colorization" fixes old movies or war documentaries, and I can't stand the soap opera effect caused by frame interpolation.
I agree with Steve and I can also see the merit if you want to try and make something better than it ever was then go for it. I don’t see Peter Jackson as a saint or a genius though. It is a conversion from reality to an animated cartoon. He could just as easily go get a bunch of actors that look like the real guys and get an IMAX quality camera and do a reenactment. It would even look better and be equally as accurate.

For me watching the real footage with the grain and jumpy frames sets my mind in 1916 and lets my brain fill in the blanks.

If I watch Citizen Kane or Casablanca or Gone With The Wind. I want them as close to the original at its best that I can get. I want to feel what someone felt in 1940 watching the movie.

Bud
post #48 of 104 Old 11-08-2018, 06:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1039 Post(s)
Liked: 571
Quote:
I agree with Steve and I can also see the merit if you want to try and make something better than it ever was then go for it. I don’t see Peter Jackson as a saint or a genius though. It is a conversion from reality to an animated cartoon. He could just as easily go get a bunch of actors that look like the real guys and get an IMAX quality camera and do a reenactment. It would even look better and be equally as accurate.

For me watching the real footage with the grain and jumpy frames sets my mind in 1916 and lets my brain fill in the blanks.

If I watch Citizen Kane or Casablanca or Gone With The Wind. I want them as close to the original at its best that I can get. I want to feel what someone felt in 1940 watching the movie.
"He could just as easily go get a bunch of actors that look like the real guys and get an IMAX quality camera and do a reenactment" That is kind of what he did. Aside from the colorization, and cleaning up the film the later of which is a very good thing IMO, he hired lip readers and actors to recreate the audio that never existed in the original film.
bud16415 and Frank714 like this.
post #49 of 104 Old 11-08-2018, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liffie420 View Post
"He could just as easily go get a bunch of actors that look like the real guys and get an IMAX quality camera and do a reenactment" That is kind of what he did. Aside from the colorization, and cleaning up the film the later of which is a very good thing IMO, he hired lip readers and actors to recreate the audio that never existed in the original film.
Yes it is like dinosaurs, we have never really seen them just their bones so we assigned them this green gray color a hundred years ago and it stuck. I guess having artist do that gave us all a better picture of what they looked like for us. Even if it wasn’t totally real. It allows us a perception of reality.

In this case we are viewing Peter Jackson’s perception of reality and making it ours.

Bud
post #50 of 104 Old 11-08-2018, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

All movies whether shot on film or video are nothing more than conversions from reality. Making movies is all about creativity and colorization is just one of many creative options. If the original black and white film converted real life colors to shades of grey then colorization is nothing more than an effort to try to restore the colors to something close to what you would have seen with your own eyes if you'd been there. Of course the colors won't be perfect but then nothing about film or video is perfect.

My wife and I watch a lot of old black and white movies and thoroughly enjoy them. I even set the projector in its D55 (5,500k) color temperature mode to replicate the mild sepia tones that were once seen at commercial cinemas. We really appreciate being able to turn out the lights and watch classic black and white movies like that and imagine that's the way our parents or grandparents viewed them on the old silver screen.

While I have no great desire to see colorized versions of these vintage black and white movies I do think colorization is a great option for some historical footage. Adding back color that black and white film removed simply makes the conversion from reality appear a bit more realistic. It's just another one of those many different personal preferences that vary from person to person. I hope everyone else enjoys their personal preferences as much as I enjoy mine.
bud16415 likes this.
post #51 of 104 Old 11-08-2018, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1039 Post(s)
Liked: 571
Quote:
Yes it is like dinosaurs, we have never really seen them just their bones so we assigned them this green gray color a hundred years ago and it stuck. I guess having artist do that gave us all a better picture of what they looked like for us. Even if it wasn’t totally real. It allows us a perception of reality.

In this case we are viewing Peter Jackson’s perception of reality and making it ours.
Well I think reasonable assumptions could be made in regards to dinosaurs and what colors that may have been. I mean based on what we knew at the time, since our color view of dinosaurs was established in the probably late 1800's even though fossils were found as far back as the mid 1600's so they more or less based the idea of their colors on reptiles known at the time so mainly blacks, greens grey browns etc. At least with PEter Jackson we know for a fact what things looked like color wise. But color grading B&W film always has that kind of painted on feel, which it was in the beginning, although it has got much better.
post #52 of 104 Old 11-08-2018, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I do agree with you Dave all motion pictures and all pictures for that matter are open for someone who is making them to interrupt as they want.

There is also the old saying (You can’t make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear.) or GIGO. Guys like Ansel Adams went to great lengths to capture photos on huge size film because you only get one chance to capture something in as much detail as you can.

All this after the fact stuff is trying to make something better after the fact. Or saying you can make a silk purse from a sows ear. From a viewers stand point I can see it is true we have the ability now to actually eliminate actors completely from the process and make actors pixel by pixel frame by frame. I just feel each step somehow lessens the process rather than enhance it.

Bud
post #53 of 104 Old 11-08-2018, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

If you really want to feel like you're at the cinema, you need the KODI plugin CinemaVision. You can have pre-show trivia, ads, countdowns movie trailers, sound trailers, ratings, etc and it can even dim the lights with hue plugin etc. It's pretty sweet. If only it could detect Atmos vs true hd and X vs DTS.... It can tell stereo from DTS from DD, etc. and show those automatically.

post #54 of 104 Old 11-08-2018, 11:07 AM

The "real cinema experience" wouldn't be complete without:

-annoying teenagers talking through the whole movie
-ten dollar popcorn
-sticky floors
-films show only at specific times, on rotation
-no pausing the movie when you go to the bathroom, you have to hold it in or miss the best part of the film
-no changing the volume, ever
-30 minutes of annoying, super loud ads
-trailers that give away the entire movie
-trailers for movies you would never want to see
-15-20 dollars per person per showing, and your partner or kids always fall asleep halfway and miss half of it anyway. Charging kids 20 bucks for a nap.

At a certain point it begins to dawn on you that the cinema experience is kind of terrible.
post #55 of 104 Old 11-08-2018, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Here I purposely made my floors sticky so it would be an authentic experience....

post #56 of 104 Old 11-08-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
While I have no great desire to see colorized versions of these vintage black and white movies I do think colorization is a great option for some historical footage. Adding back color that black and white film removed simply makes the conversion from reality appear a bit more realistic. It's just another one of those many different personal preferences that vary from person to person. I hope everyone else enjoys their personal preferences as much as I enjoy mine.
I see colorizing war footage as a way to restore its immediacy and saliency. War is hell and it's best that we don't forget that. Some people are living (and dying) in war zones right now, so how we consume this content is in a sense a moral issue as well. There are some recent deliberate B&W movies where it really is an artistic choice, but let's not forget that back then, as soon as colour was available, people jumped on it as soon as they could. In both TVs and film.

So let's not romanticize B&W too much, for the vast majority of the industry people couldn't abandon it fast enough. I think most B&W movies, like 24 fps, were simply made under the restrictions of the time, not due to a deliberate artistic choice. It's definitely odd that 24 fps wasn't abandoned, now that film isn't used. I think it's mostly inertia, almost a kind of Stockholm Syndrome.

I see MEMC like colorizing old film, getting rid of filming limitations that don't need to be there. Had 30 fps been the standard at the start, we wouldn't be arguing whether 24 fps was better than 30 fps, but whether 60 was better than 30. And that alone tells me that it's mostly an appeal to what feels familiar, not what's inherently better or delivers a more artful presentation.

I'd love to see some martial arts movies filmed at 120 fps, more than anything else. But I'm fine with using frame interpolation to watch content the way I prefer. Which I believe is also the way the majority of the planet prefers it, too, due to MEMC being enabled in new TVs by default. Not that that really matters. I like what I like and it's ok if you like something else. To each their own.

I just think that interpolation is more popular than low framerate, and I have seen good empirical evidence to back that up. So the only thing that bugs me in all this is when I see proponents of 24 fps claiming that their preferences are better because 24 fps is more popular. It isn't.

And that's why I think, eventually, it will go away, just like black and white.
post #57 of 104 Old 11-08-2018, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleAxeVR View Post

or kids always fall asleep halfway and miss half of it anyway. Charging kids 20 bucks for a nap.

At a certain point it begins to dawn on you that the cinema experience is kind of terrible.
Reminds me of a Transformer 3D movie I saw where people brought along their kids--thinking they would love it. Most didn't have their glasses on longer than a few minutes. Some wanted to leave after a half hour. Others were sleeping or complaining. Some were freaking out at the size of the Transformers. Parents don't realize how intense those movies are on the big screen and they leave kids in the dust with their storylines. It's different when they see them on TV and not so threatening.
BattleAxeVR likes this.
post #58 of 104 Old 11-08-2018, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleAxeVR View Post

or kids always fall asleep halfway and miss half of it anyway. Charging kids 20 bucks for a nap.

Reminds me of a Transformer 3D movie I saw where people brought along their kids--thinking they would love it. Most didn't have their glasses on longer than a few minutes. Some wanted to leave after a half hour. Others were sleeping or complaining. Some were freaking out at the size of the Transformers. Parents don't realize how intense those movies are on the big screen and they leave kids in the dust with their storylines. It's different when they see them on TV and not so threatening.
They definitely lost me with the storyline in Transformers.... (i.e. What story?). The damn things take so long to transform (compared to about 1-2 seconds in the cartoon) with so many moving parts, I'm surprised the humans had any trouble taking them out. Oops there goes gear #8 of 6000.... Disabled. Shoot while they transform for 30 seconds. Utterly vulnerable. Oh wait. They're too busy gawking.

Michael Bay should go back to making Bad Boys films. They were at least entertaining.
BattleAxeVR likes this.

post #59 of 104 Old 11-08-2018, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Heck, I fell asleep during the last two Transformers. Everytime I woke up it was a mindless sequence of explosions and I would pass out again.
post #60 of 104 Old 11-08-2018, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 337
I think the majority of folks own 60Hz displays including PJ's, at least when their opinions of SOE and interpolation were formed. I assume both would enhance an already primitive picture worse due to 3:2 pulldown and more than likely infant algorithms performing the interpolation which would lead to wild guesses between actual frames.

I'm pretty certain SOE brings more clarity to a picture however it's achieved. With displays and PJ's now native at 120Hz and interpolation algo's improved, former opinions should be reconsidered. I did. Motion has made leaps and bounds using both. Even more so when interpolating beyond native capabilities and increasing to 240Hz for example. I believe it starts with the source filmed in video vs film aka digital vs analog.

I also think many comments are made by colorists and the likes who's jobs are not as necessary when filmed in video. Video is real time and film is not due to processing so any guess work is expedited. Imo, video looks superior and more lifelike and only gets better depending on the caliber of camera(s) used. We can see this even in TV commercials. Some look fantastic and others remain eh' now that we experience nicer looking cameras filming them. This even though we are seeing them at 1080i/720p at best.

Imo, using native 60hz displays, SOE and FI only contribute to a worse looking picture but with native 120Hz and those capable of higher such as 240Hz, SOE and FI open a whole new window. My preference is to view my content as if I was looking out a window and not looking at a screen. With the 240Hz video shot with decent cameras I playback in 2160p, I do feel like I'm looking out a window and it will be even more realistic when I upgrade to 8k.

To me, no SOE/FI using todays modern tech is like adding a bug screen to the window. I find myself doing what I can to remove the grain (another bug screen) in film. MadVR does a pretty good job too. Using video, there is nothing to clean up and make it more realistic usually. Thank you video camera embracing directors. I have no desire to preserve content as it was intended (limited) from decades ago. I don't have nor desire Chaplin era flickers. However, I have a few titles from various decades back to the 50's I enjoy now that they've been remastered. Enjoying them original in 480p or whatever does not appeal to me.

HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players
W10 1903 / MPC-BE\HC / PotPlayer / PowerDVD 19 / DVDFab Player 3&5 / KODI 19 videoplayer
GTX960 4GB / RGB Full 4:4:4 / 8bit Desktop mode =60Hz / 10/12bit Video mode = Matched Refresh rates IE 23,24,25,60Hz
65JS8500 UHD HDR 3D / Denon S720W
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page