First projector tips advice please - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 22Likes

post #31 of 41 Old 12-06-2018, 05:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2128 Post(s)
Liked: 1074
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevethebrain View Post
I found this https://www.dummies.com/computers/op...-windows-7-pc/

mearsuring for long VGA or HDMI cable?

I configure this setting Show Desktop Only on Projector turns off the current display and displays the desktop only on the projector.

plan to setup screen next Friday & slap together a projector shelf.
I use my laptop as one of several inputs on my projector all the time. The best configuration method I have found or the one that works best for me it to assign the projector as monitor number 2. change your background color to 0,0,0 black and then drag just your media player or whatever app you are running into monitor 2 and open it full screen. It will leave your computer up and running just as normal on monitor 1.

A little more advanced method I used and like was to download VLC media player and then download a skin for it called dark voodoo. It has been a year there might be a better skin now. With your screen background set to black and the dark voodoo player having no frame and pop up dark gray controls that pop up when the curser is moved. The image can be sized to any size you like by dragging the corners. I used it to do CIH+IMAX presentation by just scaling the active window to the size I wanted. No controller is needed for anything except the mouse. The nice part was no distracting window frames around the image and with 0,0,0 black all around the image it was a form of self 4way masking that was easy on the eyes, less distracting than black bars one way or the other.

I watch a lot of youtube old music and stuff and much of it is very poor resolution that is only made worse made larger. I want to watch it as stereo and I have a long patch cord run to my AVR from my headphone jack. The switch over from HT to PC takes just a few seconds. I select PC on the projector select the input on my AVR and plug in the VGA and headphone cord into the laptop PC.

Bud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 Old 12-07-2018, 04:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
I use my laptop as one of several inputs on my projector all the time. The best configuration method I have found or the one that works best for me it to assign the projector as monitor number 2. change your background color to 0,0,0 black and then drag just your media player or whatever app you are running into monitor 2 and open it full screen. It will leave your computer up and running just as normal on monitor 1.

AVR from my headphone jack. The switch over from HT to PC takes just a few seconds. I select PC on the projector select the input on my AVR and plug in the VGA and headphone cord into the laptop PC.
I can’t connect to the AVR (only one HDMI out on my Yamaha RXV465) out using the HDMI cable because I still want a choice to be able to watch regular TV though the AVRs speakers.

Apparently I will need to start watching TV w/ PC as the tuners then when I turn on the projector configured as monitor 2 TV will go off as PT goes’ on. So since my AVR only has one out of HDMI ,I will need to connect w/ a VGA correct?
STB

Samsung PN58C500/Amp: Yamaha RX-V465/Polk DSW1KProSub/DefTECH SM450/C1CC/Pro80/Sony BPX37 BD/Magnavox515/ HTPC-CPU: I3 550, 3.2 GHz/Mobo: Intel H57/RAM: 6GB DDR3 1333/HDD: 1TB/2TBX2 Internal, 1TB external/Tuner: 1800-950 Haupague/W7 64 OS Remote: Harmony 700
post #33 of 41 Old 12-07-2018, 04:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1688 Post(s)
Liked: 2080
I spent literally 100`s of hours reading on here and asking questions...……..many things can seem like a mountain and might not even be noticeable.

The only real way is finding out for yourself, then you will know.

Benq 1070 or 2050...…..very good picture for new projector owner, very reliable projectors.

It might take a small change of plan or some creative solutions, but a spandex screen gives a super nice picture and is able to allow speaker sound to pass, its also super cheap.

There are a bunch of solutions in dealing with a frame screen, you just need to find what works for you...…..

You are right in thinking it needs to be larger,....I would recommend 110-120 as a starter size, after all its called the big screen for a reason.

Plenty of 3-d movies, the easiest is a bluray player, 3-d ones are cheap and easy...…..

I have never used one, but they make HDMI splitters so you can run to the pj and the flat screen and not play with wires all the time.

I did the benq 2050 and started with a on wall screen, then upgraded to the spandex so sound was able to pass thru it...….all my guests are very impressed with it, some of them say they cant believe it looks almost as good as a flat screen.

I paid about 600 hundred for the pj and about 100 bucks for the screen...…

Whatever you decide, I am sure you will have fun, I have been enjoying mine now for 2 years....still makes me smile...…...I am on it now, the flat screen has not been used in the last 2 years....well for a week when I was waiting on my new bulb to arrive......
stevethebrain likes this.

Link to Stereo Integrity SI HT 18 sub build......https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-pedestal.html
Speakers and subs for sale...https://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...kers-subs.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 41 Old 12-07-2018, 06:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I can’t connect to the AVR (only one HDMI out on my Yamaha RXV465) out using the HDMI cable because I still want a choice to be able to watch regular TV though the AVRs speakers.

Apparently I will need to start watching TV w/ PC as the tuners then when I turn on the projector configured as monitor 2 TV will go off as PT goes’ on. So since my AVR only has one out of HDMI ,I will need to connect w/ a VGA correct?
STB

I will tell you what I’m doing and it might help.

My AVR an old Onkyo 5.1 might be older than yours and has no HDMI. Right now I have 3 sources feeding my projector, two of them are in my equipment rack a Sony BluRay player that plays DVD and BD, it also acts as a smart TV and it is how we normally view Netflix and Amazon etc. It has its own HDMI cable 25’ running directly to the projector HDMI 1 and digital audio out to the AVR. The second is a Homeworx OTA tuner hooked to an antenna bringing in 14 1080 channels for free. It has its own HDMI cable hooked to the projector HDMI 2, and digital audio out to the AVR. The Homeworx tuner also has a 1T external hard drive plugged into it USB and acts as a DVR. Because I don’t want to fire up the projector to record a show I use another output on the Homeworx to run to a small 19” flat screen TV I the equipment rack I use as a monitor.

Then there is my laptop older Toshiba C655 with no HDMI and only stereo out from the headphone jack. I have the laptop sitting on a swing away perch that swings over my theater seat and is connected straight to the projector with a long VGA cable 20’ to the projectors VGA input. The audio runs between the PC and the AVR headphone jack to stereo RCA at the AVR. The laptop HTPC is limited to stereo but the AVR has some mixing options I can use if I want. normally I opt out of them. I love the freedom of surfing the web with the PC and then portion what I want up on the big screen. it is so much better for streaming stuff than setting up the Sony BD player to do it. I have about 30 free streaming sites book marked on the computer. The computer also will play DVD but not BD. I sometimes play DVD this way as I think the computer does a better job scaling them to the projector than the Sony does.

Operation is simple I just turn on the device I want to use, turn on the AVR and select that input and turn on the projector and it normally finds what is trying to feed it. if not the projector has a button for each input.

It’s old school and many are probably laughing reading this, but it worked and why throw away perfectly good equipment before its time. The BD player was 80 bucks a few years ago the Homeworx box was about 30 minus the hard drive another 50. I might add if I’m going away I pop the drive out and I can take all my recorded shows with me to play on my laptop. The most important part is I don’t have to get out of my chair to do anything except change the BD.

Hope this helps as the above poster mentioned where there is a will there is a way.
unretarded likes this.

Bud

Last edited by bud16415; 12-07-2018 at 06:10 AM.
post #35 of 41 Old 12-07-2018, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1611 Post(s)
Liked: 1184
Quote:

STB
Your PC is a SOURCE, not a destination. So, you come OUT of the PC and IN to the AVR. It is one of your sources. PC, Blu-ray Disc, Roku, Gaming system, etc. these are all sources.

Your Yamaha has 4 available inputs on the back of it.

It then has ONE HDMI output. If you have two displays in your room, the projector plus an additional television, then you will need to split the HDMI output using a standard HDMI splitter. These are readily available on Amazon, and most are well rated.

As to your screen, if you want to build a screen, then check out the screens subforum on DiY screen building. Plenty of places to buy material and make one yourself.
unretarded likes this.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #36 of 41 Old 12-07-2018, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
Your PC is a SOURCE, not a destination. So, you come OUT of the PC and IN to the AVR. It is one of your sources. PC, Blu-ray Disc, Roku, Gaming system, etc. these are all sources.

It then has ONE HDMI output. If you have two displays in your room, the projector plus an additional television, then you will need to split the HDMI output using a standard HDMI splitter. These are readily available on Amazon, and most are well rated.

As to your screen, if you want to build a screen, then check out the screens subforum on DiY screen building. Plenty of places to buy material and make one yourself.
I was under the impression he didn’t have a HDMI output on his computer as he was talking about VGA. Indeed if his PC has HDMI and his AVR has 4 inputs he should run everything thru the AVR.

My example is stone aged having both a computer and AVR minus HDMI I guess. Someday I will have to step up to 2001 technology I guess. It just wont be today.
AV_Integrated and unretarded like this.

Bud
post #37 of 41 Old 12-08-2018, 04:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I will tell you what I’m doing and it might help.

My AVR an old Onkyo 5.1 might be older than yours and has no HDMI. Right now I have 3 sources feeding my projector, two of them are in my equipment rack a Sony BluRay player that plays DVD and BD, it also acts as a smart TV and it is how we normally view Netflix and Amazon etc. It has its own HDMI cable 25’ running directly to the projector HDMI 1 and digital audio out to the AVR. The second is a Homeworx OTA tuner hooked to an antenna bringing in 14 1080 channels for free. It has its own HDMI cable hooked to the projector HDMI 2, and digital audio out to the AVR. The Homeworx tuner also has a 1T external hard drive plugged into it USB and acts as a DVR. Because I don’t want to fire up the projector to record a show I use another output on the Homeworx to run to a small 19” flat screen TV I the equipment rack I use as a monitor.

Then there is my laptop older Toshiba C655 with no HDMI and only stereo out from the headphone jack. I have the laptop sitting on a swing away perch that swings over my theater seat and is connected straight to the projector with a long VGA cable 20’ to the projectors VGA input. The audio runs between the PC and the AVR headphone jack to stereo RCA at the AVR. The laptop HTPC is limited to stereo but the AVR has some mixing options I can use if I want. normally I opt out of them. I love the freedom of surfing the web with the PC and then portion what I want up on the big screen. it is so much better for streaming stuff than setting up the Sony BD player to do it. I have about 30 free streaming sites book marked on the computer. The computer also will play DVD but not BD. I sometimes play DVD this way as I think the computer does a better job scaling them to the projector than the Sony does.

Operation is simple I just turn on the device I want to use, turn on the AVR and select that input and turn on the projector and it normally finds what is trying to feed it. if not the projector has a button for each input.

It’s old school and many are probably laughing reading this, but it worked and why throw away perfectly good equipment before its time. The BD player was 80 bucks a few years ago the Homeworx box was about 30 minus the hard drive another 50. I might add if I’m going away I pop the drive out and I can take all my recorded shows with me to play on my laptop. The most important part is I don’t have to get out of my chair to do anything except change the BD.

Hope this helps as the above poster mentioned where there is a will there is a way.
yes I have everything connected to HDMI inputs1 DVR,2 BD either never use. 3 PC my PC has HDMI only using 3 inputs of AVR.

since I never use either I could use #2 for PJ. so I would need to setup a marco for my remote control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

It then has ONE HDMI output. If you have two displays in your room, the projector plus an additional television, then you will need to split the HDMI output using a standard HDMI splitter. These are readily available on Amazon, and most are well rated.do nicer 700 series Yamahas AVR have two HDMI outs?

Quote:
I was under the impression he didn’t have a HDMI output on his computer as he was talking about VGA. Indeed if his PC has HDMI and his AVR has 4 inputs he should run everything thru the AVR.

My example is stone aged having both a computer and AVR minus HDMI I guess. Someday I will have to step up to 2001 technology I guess. It just wont be today.
OK I'll check into the HDMI splitter however I was planning to have the regular display turn off when I turn on the PJ this is why I thought I needed the VGA from PC to the PJ. the PCs HDMI is #3 on AVRinput AVR out directly to TV.

can I plug in PJ w/ HDMI to #4 on AVR?
thanks STB

Samsung PN58C500/Amp: Yamaha RX-V465/Polk DSW1KProSub/DefTECH SM450/C1CC/Pro80/Sony BPX37 BD/Magnavox515/ HTPC-CPU: I3 550, 3.2 GHz/Mobo: Intel H57/RAM: 6GB DDR3 1333/HDD: 1TB/2TBX2 Internal, 1TB external/Tuner: 1800-950 Haupague/W7 64 OS Remote: Harmony 700

Last edited by stevethebrain; 12-08-2018 at 05:03 AM.
post #38 of 41 Old 12-08-2018, 05:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
can I plug in PJ w/ HDMI to #4 on AVR?
thanks STB
No your projector has to be an output, #4 is an input. You only have one output and that is where the splitter should be one way going to the projector the other way going to the TV.
stevethebrain likes this.

Bud
post #39 of 41 Old 12-08-2018, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No your projector has to be an output, #4 is an input. You only have one output and that is where the splitter should be one way going to the projector the other way going to the TV.
OK I'll check into the HDMI splitterhttps://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Switch-4K-Splitter-Bi-Directional/dp/B079JQ9XXV/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1544274065&sr=8-3&keywords=hdmi+splitter%27 however I was planning to have the regular display turn off when I turn on the PJ this is why I thought I needed the VGA from PC to the PJ. the PCs HDMI is #3 on AVRinput AVR out directly to TV.

thanks for excellent an quick advice STB

post #40 of 41 Old 12-09-2018, 04:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Received new screen shes big and heavey.will mount to wall.

I’ll probably lower front LRC speaker an raise screen.

measured HDMI cable from AVR 16' mite as well roundup to20'.https://www.amazon.com/Postta-Adapte...n%2Bcable&th=1
whats the difference between HDMI splitter an switch?

the 90 degree adaptor is it used in AVR to ease manuel source change at AVR.

why did I buy HDMI cables w/ ferret cores for TV/PC are these cores help cable performance?
STB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PJ screen1.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	2494110  

Last edited by stevethebrain; 12-09-2018 at 05:50 AM.
post #41 of 41 Old 12-13-2018, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unretarded View Post
I spent literally 100`s of hours reading on here and asking questions...……..many things can seem like a mountain and might not even be noticeable.

The only real way is finding out for yourself, then you will know.

Benq 1070 or 2050...…..very good picture for new projector owner, very reliable projectors.

It might take a small change of plan or some creative solutions, but a spandex screen gives a super nice picture and is able to allow speaker sound to pass, its also super cheap.

There are a bunch of solutions in dealing with a frame screen, you just need to find what works for you...…..

You are right in thinking it needs to be larger,....I would recommend 110-120 as a starter size, after all its called the big screen for a reason.

Plenty of 3-d movies, the easiest is a bluray player, 3-d ones are cheap and easy...…..

I have never used one, but they make HDMI splitters so you can run to the pj and the flat screen and not play with wires all the time.

I did the benq 2050 and started with a on wall screen, then upgraded to the spandex so sound was able to pass thru it...….all my guests are very impressed with it, some of them say they cant believe it looks almost as good as a flat screen.

I paid about 600 hundred for the pj and about 100 bucks for the screen...…

Whatever you decide, I am sure you will have fun, I have been enjoying mine now for 2 years....still makes me smile...…...I am on it now, the flat screen has not been used in the last 2 years....well for a week when I was waiting on my new bulb to arrive......
excellent advice thanks
I'm reading up on PJs. seams the BenQ 2050A is a popular choice for entry level PJ
how much $ are the replacement bulbs? and do you watch a halfway worn bulb like or wait till it completely wears out?

I have the screen temporarily setup so now I'm the lookout to get the most amount of PJ for the least amount of $.

I'm starting to think that the TV won't be used much when going PJ.
it;s kindof like turboing a car most contollers have hi and low setting the heck w/ low.

kindof liking the ultra short throw. so besides the limited screen size what are it's negatives?

I really like you're quote "The only real way is finding out for yourself, then you will know" did you come up w/ this? pure genius.
STB

Last edited by stevethebrain; 12-13-2018 at 06:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page