BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread - Page 100 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3283Likes

post #2971 of 6254 Old 05-06-2019, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striper Mark View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
I watched your clip. I see no ghosting or motion blur. I DO, however, see a lot of compression artifacts around the players on the field. But that's an issue with your source and not the projector. Unfortunately, garbage in / garbage out.
Thanks for taking the time to do that! I agree that the DTV feed can be garbage some times. It never looked that way on the Sony though which is why it's got me hesitating on this projector.
Thx again!!
I can't recall seeing anywhere that BenQ includes video processing beyond the minimum needed to get a usable image.

The Sony HW45ES by comparison was noted for its excellent video processing.

Additionally some say (projectorreviews.com specifically claims this) mosquito noise is less objectionable on LCoS than DLP.

I've never run my sources straight into my BenQ projector (I use an outboard video processor) so maybe I just never noticed that BenQ projector *at this price point* do nothing to clean up dirty sources? Now you've got me curious..

Of course they've added frame interpolation with this model so I guess nowadays they're doing *some* additional processing, but that's content creation, not artifact reduction..
Samfield and sage11x like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2972 of 6254 Old 05-06-2019, 07:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 225 Post(s)
Quoted: 3058 Post(s)
Liked: 3175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striper Mark View Post
Thanks for taking the time to do that! I agree that the DTV feed can be garbage some times. It never looked that way on the Sony though which is why it's got me hesitating on this projector.

Thx again!!

That could be down to a couple of things. First and foremost, the Sony was 1080p and that probably helps. The more resolution you have the more you’re likely to see flaws in the source image. It’s also possible the Sony had more effective image processing— but I’m not really sure of any image enhancements that effect compression artifacts.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #2973 of 6254 Old 05-06-2019, 07:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 225 Post(s)
Quoted: 3058 Post(s)
Liked: 3175
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxNW View Post
I can't recall seeing anywhere that BenQ includes video processing beyond the minimum needed to get a usable image.

The Sony HW45ES by comparison was noted for its excellent video processing.

Additionally some say (projectorreviews.com specifically claims this) mosquito noise is less objectionable on LCoS than DLP.

I've never run my sources straight into my BenQ projector (I use an outboard video processor) so maybe I just never noticed that BenQ projector *at this price point* do nothing to clean up dirty sources? Now you've got me curious..

Of course they've added frame interpolation with this model so I guess nowadays they're doing *some* additional processing, but that's content creation, not artifact reduction..

Ha! I just replied with something similar up above.
It turns out there IS something to this. One of the few criticisms I’ve read about the 45ES (and Sony’s in general) is the forced temporal smoothing. Here’s an excerpt from Vincent Teoh’s review of the 45ES:

“Sony projectors – even the most high-end ones costing five figures – have always applied a light layer of background noise reduction (NR) even with [Noise Filtering] “Min” and [Reality Creation] “Off“, and the HW45ES was no different, resulting in a clean but marginally less detailed/ lively motion picture due to film grain suppression. The forced NR can be defeated by engaging [Input Lag Reduction], but you’ll lose access to certain video processing features such as [Motionflow], film-mode deinterlacing and most of all [Smooth Gradation] which worked well to reduce posterisation. Interestingly though, with [Input Lag Reduction] enabled, 24p film was still handled smoothly without telecine judder, opening up the possibility of using this mode for watching movies if film grain integrity is important to you.”
https://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/vplh...1609234367.htm

A few weeks back I described the HT3550 as behaving like a good set of speakers or headphones: detailed but more likely to reveal the flaws in the source. It’s a possibility that StriperMark is experiencing something akin to going from a nice set of sennheisers to a nice set of grados.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2974 of 6254 Old 05-06-2019, 07:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 150
That's funny. Ok, next time I'm waiting for *you* to chime in before I say anything...
sage11x likes this.
post #2975 of 6254 Old 05-06-2019, 08:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 47
FYI, BenQ Direct has 6 HT3550 in stock for shipping this Wednesday for anyone still looking or waiting on Amazon.
sage11x likes this.
post #2976 of 6254 Old 05-06-2019, 09:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 79
If anyone is having issues with their 3550 that were from earlier on, you might want to look into replacing it. I got a unit from a little over a month ago or so, and from my posts in this thread had all sorts of issues. Alot of it cleared up over time, and the picture went on to look phenomenal. My only remaining issue being the constant flickering of the DI. So, I finally replaced my old 1 with a brand new one and WOW!!!! Right out of the box I noticed quite a bit of overall PQ improvement. I finally had that "colors looked great right out of the box" look that Benq's are supposedly famous for. My old one when I first got it took what seemed like hours to get it to look good, with TONS and TONS of tweaking. And I was somewhat regretting my purchase. But this new 1 it looks perfect right from the get go. Extremely minor flickering! Colors and sharpness are just incredible with everything.

For the Hell of it I checked the manufactured date, and my 1st one was made in March, this new 1 is from April. Something to consider if some of you have older units like I did. Might want to consider returning it for a newer one.
curtlots, sage11x and Yves Claeys like this.
post #2977 of 6254 Old 05-06-2019, 11:11 PM

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdupuis77 View Post
FYI, BenQ Direct has 6 HT3550 in stock for shipping this Wednesday for anyone still looking or waiting on Amazon.

Amazon just had 2 a few hours ago.
post #2978 of 6254 Old 05-06-2019, 11:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I need some advice. I just spent most of the weekend mounting and aligning my new 3550. Only after this work did I start seeing some of the problems that people are describing here. I’m ok waiting for new firmware if that will fix things, but if there are hardware issues I need to know sooner rather than later. I’m seeing settings that are not ‘sticking’ or seem to change. I am finding the dynamic Iris to be bouncy and a little slow - but I don’t have anything to compare it to. The most unsettling thing is that I’m getting the half screen brightness problem on mode changes. I can usually ‘fix’ it by toggling WCG or BC, but I don’t want to live with this and I don’t know if it is a hardware (color filter?) or software problem.

Can anyone give me a check list of things to help me decide if I should send it back for replacement or not? I’ve only got a few hours on it and there might be problems I have not seen yet. - Thanks.
post #2979 of 6254 Old 05-07-2019, 03:22 AM

It’s strange but after a little over 50 hours run time, most of the little issues with my 3550 seem to have gone away. I still plan to have it swapped out later, but I haven’t seen any more weird color acid trips, automatic-non-automatic keystone with a mind of its own or random image flipping/settings resets in at least 10 hours run time now. I have the strangest luck with consumer electronics. I had like 6-7 XBox 360s red ring on me. The last one I gave away to my college roommate, out of anger, frustration and contempt for Microsoft, is still in use a decade later lol. Hope this PJ keeps trending in this direction and BenQ is tidying up the issues in production because the image, when this thing is working correctly, is awesome!
Samfield likes this.
post #2980 of 6254 Old 05-07-2019, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
It’s strange but after a little over 50 hours run time, most of the little issues with my 3550 seem to have gone away. I still plan to have it swapped out later, but I haven’t seen any more weird color acid trips, automatic-non-automatic keystone with a mind of its own or random image flipping/settings resets in at least 10 hours run time now. I have the strangest luck with consumer electronics. I had like 6-7 XBox 360s red ring on me. The last one I gave away to my college roommate, out of anger, frustration and contempt for Microsoft, is still in use a decade later lol. Hope this PJ keeps trending in this direction and BenQ is tidying up the issues in production because the image, when this thing is working correctly, is awesome!
Hello everybody on this fantastic forum!

After following this thread i finally recived "the mail" from my store here i Sweden, that they got five in stock and it been sent to me today
Bought it several weeks ago and now im hoping that its the 2nd, 3rd or 4th batch
Ile be back after some testing and let you know how the "Swedish" version work
post #2981 of 6254 Old 05-07-2019, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp View Post
If anyone is having issues with their 3550 that were from earlier on, you might want to look into replacing it. I got a unit from a little over a month ago or so, and from my posts in this thread had all sorts of issues. Alot of it cleared up over time, and the picture went on to look phenomenal. My only remaining issue being the constant flickering of the DI. So, I finally replaced my old 1 with a brand new one and WOW!!!! Right out of the box I noticed quite a bit of overall PQ improvement. I finally had that "colors looked great right out of the box" look that Benq's are supposedly famous for. My old one when I first got it took what seemed like hours to get it to look good, with TONS and TONS of tweaking. And I was somewhat regretting my purchase. But this new 1 it looks perfect right from the get go. Extremely minor flickering! Colors and sharpness are just incredible with everything.

For the Hell of it I checked the manufactured date, and my 1st one was made in March, this new 1 is from April. Something to consider if some of you have older units like I did. Might want to consider returning it for a newer one.
Mine had a manufacturing date of April 2019 but I just purchased a replacement from Amazon that will get here tomorrow. Hopefully I just got a bad batch and the replacement is fine! I originally ordered from Benq but their support has been slammed and I haven't even been able to get a return label to ship my old projector back.
post #2982 of 6254 Old 05-07-2019, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1977 Post(s)
Liked: 5807
Mine has a manufacturing date of March 2019 and being one of, if not the first to get the "fixed" batch so far so good, knock on wood.
Everything that presented a slight problem in the beginning has seemed to work itself out.
No more half screen with color filter, no weird noises etc from iris(just faint ticking/clicking noise) no more projector position resetting itself.
Last night I threw a bunch of different content at it. Gaming via Xbox one x, sdr and 4k uhds and was zipping through the menu and switching between settings. Nothing weird happened, no freezes or half screens of any sort.
Everything looked terrific and I'm hoping it stays that way
Samfield likes this.
post #2983 of 6254 Old 05-07-2019, 09:55 AM

It’s the strangest thing how all of the sudden it’s working fine. Maybe it needed some burn in time I guess lol. We’ll see how it goes I suppose!
post #2984 of 6254 Old 05-07-2019, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Eh... With the rate they're swapping out RMA's, we'll see refurbs showing up in their store in no time.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
post #2985 of 6254 Old 05-07-2019, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadius65 View Post
Yes sir. My first unit did same. Did it regardless of source, as well as test pattern. It went away only after a hard cycle. I called and got an RMA for a swap. New has not done it as of yet.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
for the RMA, do they pay for shipping both ways, or you have to pay to send it back to them?
post #2986 of 6254 Old 05-07-2019, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
I was gonna say, im seeing a lot of posts for RMA with this projector within this thread.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
post #2987 of 6254 Old 05-07-2019, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfelicio View Post
for the RMA, do they pay for shipping both ways, or you have to pay to send it back to them?
They should pay for shipping. They provided a pre-paid shipping label to their RMA center in Chino, CA. I did a full refund and ordered from Amazon. Amazon is easier to deal with since BenQ is slammed right now.
post #2988 of 6254 Old 05-07-2019, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
It’s a possibility that StriperMark is experiencing something akin to going from a nice set of sennheisers to a nice set of grados.
LOL, that's good!
sage11x likes this.

Living Room: Samsung 65" KS8000; Oppo 203; NAD 758V3; Philharmonic BMR L/C/R; Elac B5's Rear Left/Right; SVS PB2000
Basement : BenqHT3550; Denon x4300; SVS Ultra L/C/R; Prime Surrounds; Prime Elevation; Infinity in-Ceiling (7.1.4) Dual PSA V1500
post #2989 of 6254 Old 05-07-2019, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
It’s the strangest thing how all of the sudden it’s working fine. Maybe it needed some burn in time I guess lol. We’ll see how it goes I suppose!
Yeah, that’s essentially been my experience as well, knock wood. Large screen projected 4K is a site to behold when all is working well. And right now it’s well, working well. Still wouldn’t mind a FW update to clear out any lingering gremlins! I lived with 480P and 720P projectors which were nice, but lacking. 1080P brought a close to digital theater experience at home. 4K when dialed in is just wonderful.
post #2990 of 6254 Old 05-07-2019, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Neither amazon nor any of the other retailers online are showing it in stock now

Amazon says the availability is "June 19 - Aug. 2" which is vague and kinda far off, does anyone know if these dates are kinda bs and I would get it sooner?
post #2991 of 6254 Old 05-07-2019, 09:26 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Call me crazy but going from my 1070 to the 3550...i'm not feeling OMGSOMUCHBETTER!!!!!...not sure if im doing something wrong or what but going between the 2...my ol' 1070 still looks good PQ wise to me. I'm having a hard time justifying the 1499 plus tax right now. Sure its brighter and the color a little better but both look great when playing content 1080p or 4K content.

Oh, and watching some breaking bad..a weird pink gradation was showing up over skyler's face at certain points...really weird.
post #2992 of 6254 Old 05-07-2019, 10:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I probably jinxed myself by reporting no weird issues earlier. Fired up the pj to check out my new copy of Alien 4k and once the pj tuned into the source(roku ultra home screen) it kept switching the color filter on and off. I turned it off and re booted and all was well after.
Alien looked great, watched maybe 20 minutes or so then threw in the new Lego Movie Part 2 which looked sweet followed by some hdr YouTube videos with no hiccups.
I watched that Costa Rica video that Scotty had in his ht5550/Epson 5050 comparison and it looked really good.
I must say that despite some kooky behavior here and there, the picture quality with proper content is leaps and bounds above my ht2050, which is no slouch itself.
Really hoping a firmware update will help resolve most of these occasional hiccups.
With my ht2050, I literally never worry about it acting wonky, because it never has.
With my HT3550, I wonder what it may or may not do when I fire it up lol
post #2993 of 6254 Old 05-07-2019, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
I probably jinxed myself by reporting no weird issues earlier. Fired up the pj to check out my new copy of Alien 4k and once the pj tuned into the source(roku ultra home screen) it kept switching the color filter on and off. I turned it off and re booted and all was well after.
Alien looked great, watched maybe 20 minutes or so then threw in the new Lego Movie Part 2 which looked sweet followed by some hdr YouTube videos with no hiccups.
I watched that Costa Rica video that Scotty had in his ht5550/Epson 5050 comparison and it looked really good.
I must say that despite some kooky behavior here and there, the picture quality with proper content is leaps and bounds above my ht2050, which is no slouch itself.
Really hoping a firmware update will help resolve most of these occasional hiccups.
With my ht2050, I literally never worry about it acting wonky, because it never has.
With my HT3550, I wonder what it may or may not do when I fire it up lol
I'm really debating if I should keep the 3550 or buy a refurb 2050a instead, due to all the little bugs. Do you feel the 3550 is significantly better (in terms of sharpness, contrast, colors) compared to the 2050?
post #2994 of 6254 Old 05-07-2019, 10:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm really debating if I should keep the 3550 or buy a refurb 2050a instead, due to all the little bugs. Do you feel the 3550 is significantly better (in terms of sharpness, contrast, colors) compared to the 2050?
Despite the bugs, absolutely yes it is better in that regard. Like jaw dropping better
sage11x likes this.
post #2995 of 6254 Old 05-07-2019, 11:29 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Although I have not yet put silly Hours on mine I consider it a great replacement for my 1070 - 4K content that provides the WOW factor such as Prometheus or The Martian justifies the upgrade and HD looks great.
Also got around to feeding it The Hobbit in 3D and am happy to say a great looking solid image.

Very subjective I know but as I watch all my 4K content with the WCG filter on switching to 3D I do not see any brightness hit due to the reduced output with the filter in place on the 4K side.
The only niggles I have with this Projector are that it is not quieter and that it is extremely picky about cabling - although this is being harsh as it seems a lot of 4K projectors are fussy when it comes to cables and the noise on my unit is cerainly not excessive or irritating (Fan noise - I don't tend to notice iris noise)

Personally I thing Benq have hit the spot with this one - yes, there are a few Lemons out in the wild but scouring the Optoma and Epson forums prior to deciding on the Benq they have their share too and I think some people are being a bit harsh - If you are unsure just hold off purchase as it seems that the first run was probably rushed out of the door.

As a disclaimer I run a fairly light controlled room - not quite a bat cave but pretty dark and I run a 120" Grey screen.
Samfield likes this.
post #2996 of 6254 Old 05-08-2019, 04:17 AM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Maybe this has been posted before but here's Ekki's take on the W2700/HT3550:

http://cine4home.de/test-benq-w2700-...g-kommt-es-an/

(use google translate)

Looks like he really liked it, especially for the price

Also, watching UHD movies without the DCI filter will only reduce the green primary, while red and blue reach full P3
post #2997 of 6254 Old 05-08-2019, 05:20 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 3019 Post(s)
Liked: 1604
Quote:
I would return it right before the return window is up, and order a new one.
If the new one doesn't have a better firmware, then wait for a newer firmware to update it yourself if you have to (or send it back and give up).

Don't think you will really find anything better judging from Cine4's review, this thing has a lot going for it for under $1500 projectors.
Samfield and sage11x like this.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
post #2998 of 6254 Old 05-08-2019, 06:54 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 18
New to 4K

Hey Everyone,

I recently had a bulb die on my HT1075. Rather than replace the bulb, I decided to jump the gun and upgrade to the HT 3550, which should arrive Friday. I'm new to 4K, so my current setup isn't fully compliant, but I'd like to know if the 3550 will still allow me to watch the same 1080p material that I have been watching on the 1075, or do I need to get new HDCP 2.2 cables, bypass receiver, etc. right away?

My current device chain is:

NVIDIA Shield -> Yamaha RX-A1020 -> BENQ HT1075

So, can I just swap out the 1075 with the 3550, and it should work for 1080p?
Basically, I'd like to be able to watch Game of Thrones this weekend on the big screen, and worry about getting 4K HDR working later.

Thanks!
post #2999 of 6254 Old 05-08-2019, 07:24 AM

Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by satipo View Post
Hey Everyone,

I recently had a bulb die on my HT1075. Rather than replace the bulb, I decided to jump the gun and upgrade to the HT 3550, which should arrive Friday. I'm new to 4K, so my current setup isn't fully compliant, but I'd like to know if the 3550 will still allow me to watch the same 1080p material that I have been watching on the 1075, or do I need to get new HDCP 2.2 cables, bypass receiver, etc. right away?

My current device chain is:

NVIDIA Shield -> Yamaha RX-A1020 -> BENQ HT1075

So, can I just swap out the 1075 with the 3550, and it should work for 1080p?
Basically, I'd like to be able to watch Game of Thrones this weekend on the big screen, and worry about getting 4K HDR working later.

Thanks!
Not an expert here, but I can tell you that I started the same way with my Non-HDR compliant Receiver and HDMI cable that didn't support the 4K. I was able to view all 1080P content just fine. Of course I swapped out my receiver with one from a friend and ordered a new Fiber HDMI cable right away to experience the full 4K HDR experience for content that had it!
curtlots and satipo like this.
post #3000 of 6254 Old 05-08-2019, 07:45 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by file8761 View Post
Not an expert here, but I can tell you that I started the same way with my Non-HDR compliant Receiver and HDMI cable that didn't support the 4K. I was able to view all 1080P content just fine. Of course I swapped out my receiver with one from a friend and ordered a new Fiber HDMI cable right away to experience the full 4K HDR experience for content that had it!
Awesome, thanks! I'm sure I'll have that itch to get everything running right away too. Are there recommended cables for the 3550? I've seen some posts that it is finicky in that regard. I'll need to replace a 30 foot cable from the receiver to the projector.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page