BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread - Page 103 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2350Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #3061 of 4203 Old 05-10-2019, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 6,410
Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2638 Post(s)
Liked: 2584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malodium View Post
For someone in a non light controlled space (basement that can get pitch black but with a white ceiling and light colored floor), would it make much of a difference getting the Epson 5050 over the BenQ 3550? I know it's a bit brighter than the BenQ, and since I was planning on trying an ALR grey screen, I thought it might help. I just don't know if the extra brightness is enough to do much. If the difference is minimal, I might as well save $1500.


Go ask @scottyroo . He’ll have a more informed answer for you.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
sage11x is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3062 of 4203 Old 05-10-2019, 03:14 PM
Newbie
 
fbottone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltron View Post
So this issue just magically disappeared after switching from a HDR source to a SDR source and going back to a HDR source. It was either that or switching inputs real quick. Either way, I'll keep an eye on it but the issue is gone... talk about a wonky projector. Once the projector works out all the little quirks it will be a no-brainer for most people looking for a projector in this price range!

I've returned the TK800M. The 3550 is bright enough for my needs and if anyone feels they have brightness or color issues, it may be defective like my first one.


I'm wondering about this myself - did Kraine (from Passion cinema) have one of the "dimmer" units from the first batch? He didn't measure anything over 1000 lumens in any modes except for Bright, which was 1980, which seems suspect based on this.

Debating whether or not I should wait and save for the 5550, due to the "extra brightness" Kraine measured on his review of that unit (1480 calibrated), which is almost 50% more.

The brightest mode measured on that one was only 1791 lumens, so usable Vivid tv (or calibrated) at 1480-1600 seems pretty good compared to 905 on Vivid TV for the 3550. I am not going to be in a controlled light room...
fbottone is offline  
post #3063 of 4203 Old 05-10-2019, 03:14 PM
Member
 
Malodium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
Go ask @scottyroo . He’ll have a more informed answer for you.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was hoping he would notice and chime in . I should just take him up on his offer to go see his stuff in person, but it's an 8 hour drive roundtrip and im lazy!
Malodium is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3064 of 4203 Old 05-10-2019, 03:32 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbottone View Post
I'm wondering about this myself - did Kraine (from Passion cinema) have one of the "dimmer" units from the first batch? He didn't measure anything over 1000 lumens in any modes except for Bright, which was 1980, which seems suspect based on this.

Debating whether or not I should wait and save for the 5550, due to the "extra brightness" Kraine measured on his review of that unit (1480 calibrated), which is almost 50% more.

The brightest mode measured on that one was only 1791 lumens, so usable Vivid tv (or calibrated) at 1480-1600 seems pretty good compared to 905 on Vivid TV for the 3550. I am not going to be in a controlled light room...
I believe his review is accurate. Once calibrated and in specific modes, the lumens drop but it's still plenty bright for viewing. Again, I'm not in a light controlled room. I have vaulted ceilings, light grey tiles, white walls, two windows without blackout curtains and a sliding glass door with blackout curtains. Even with that environment, the latest HT3550 I have is just barely bright enough during the day, and plenty bright at night. However, my screen is 100" and larger screens would affect brightness.

The review at ProjectorReviews also measures lumen levels roughly the same as Kraine:
https://www.projectorreviews.com/ben...formance-page/

Last edited by Keltron; 05-10-2019 at 04:00 PM.
Keltron is offline  
post #3065 of 4203 Old 05-10-2019, 04:09 PM
Newbie
 
fbottone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltron View Post
I believe his review is accurate. Once calibrated and in specific modes, the lumens drop but it's still plenty bright for viewing. Again, I'm not in a light controlled room. I have vaulted ceilings, light grey tiles, white walls, two windows without blackout curtains and a sliding glass door with blackout curtains. Even with that environment, the latest HT3550 I have is just barely bright enough during the day, and plenty bright at night. However, my screen is 100" and larger screens would affect brightness.

The review at ProjectorReviews also measures lumen levels roughly the same as Kraine:
https://www.projectorreviews.com/ben...formance-page/

Hmm, Kraines Cinema mode vs calibrated are about the same (within 10 lumens - 991 vs 981) - but the Projector Reviews Cinema mode measured out at 1194. I suppose that is within the margin of error, but I guess I'm wondering which one the HT3550 is actually closer to. I'm not saying Kraine did anything wrong (and it's a fantastic review!) but there does seem to be some differences in the samples, so it's harder to make a decision based on the facts.

I plan on getting an ALR screen, but I know that the current temporary projector (pretty crappy but is supposed to be legitimate 900 lumens-ish via LEDs) is just not quite bright enough for my current scenario.

Thanks for the reply!
fbottone is offline  
post #3066 of 4203 Old 05-10-2019, 04:36 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbottone View Post
Hmm, Kraines Cinema mode vs calibrated are about the same (within 10 lumens - 991 vs 981) - but the Projector Reviews Cinema mode measured out at 1194. I suppose that is within the margin of error, but I guess I'm wondering which one the HT3550 is actually closer to. I'm not saying Kraine did anything wrong (and it's a fantastic review!) but there does seem to be some differences in the samples, so it's harder to make a decision based on the facts.

I plan on getting an ALR screen, but I know that the current temporary projector (pretty crappy but is supposed to be legitimate 900 lumens-ish via LEDs) is just not quite bright enough for my current scenario.

Thanks for the reply!
I just realized that Kraines also posted a second review. Did you see it? He got a second projector from Benq which has better brightness.
https://www.passionhomecinema.fr/blo...-second-round/
sage11x likes this.
Keltron is offline  
post #3067 of 4203 Old 05-10-2019, 04:40 PM
Newbie
 
fbottone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltron View Post
I just realized that Kraines also posted a second review. Did you see it? He got a second projector from Benq which has better brightness.
https://www.passionhomecinema.fr/blo...-second-round/
Wow, that is a big difference and confirms my suspicion! 1345 lumens in Cinema mode compares much more favorably (and the difference from projector reviews could easily be down to zoom setting on the lense at this point).


I know the 5550 has more color coverage lumen for lumen, but I'd be pretty happy with the color reproduction on the 3550, so that makes the decision quite a bit easier.

Thanks for this...
fbottone is offline  
post #3068 of 4203 Old 05-10-2019, 04:52 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
A mere 98 days after placing my order, my unit finally arrived. I have the picture settings where I want them however I've noticed an irritating noise randomly occur twice now. Once was in normal mode and once in smarteco mode. Just switched to eco mode and haven't heard it yet but haven't run in eco very long.

I know others have mentioned various noises coming from the fan but describing noise is difficult. I've attached a short clip where you can hear the noise. The projector is right over the seating area so when the noise is present it is quite noticeable. It usually lasts for a few minutes. I'm curious if this noise matches what anyone else has heard.

drive[DOT]google[DOT]com/open?id=1GMKmxzfZlx6e6LI7HhGO68we84dHLwPL7Q
daniel665544 is offline  
post #3069 of 4203 Old 05-11-2019, 03:49 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by msankadi View Post


Are you plying on a console by any chance? I have been lurking and planning to buy this in a couple of months. However various reviews show the lag to be somewhere around 60 70 ms. I don't know anything about lag as I play ps4 pro on my tv now. How bad is 70 ms? Is it something which should worry a casual gamer as well or is it just stats for hardcore gamers to worry about?

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Yes, I'm playing on consoles. I notice the difference in lag compared to my tv but it doesn't bother me at all with the type of games I play. I play games like Rdr2 or Days gone and it works fine for me. I even have the dynamic iris on which doesn't help with input lag. I want games to look the best they can on my projector.
I would not recommend this projector for games where fast reactions are really important though.
msankadi likes this.
Stogge99 is offline  
post #3070 of 4203 Old 05-11-2019, 06:25 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stogge99 View Post
Yes, I'm playing on consoles. I notice the difference in lag compared to my tv but it doesn't bother me at all with the type of games I play. I play games like Rdr2 or Days gone and it works fine for me. I even have the dynamic iris on which doesn't help with input lag. I want games to look the best they can on my projector.
I would not recommend this projector for games where fast reactions are really important though.
Thanks for the inputs... Good to know this... I mostly play rpg and adventure games... So if you are good with rdr2 I think I should be good with my games

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk
msankadi is offline  
post #3071 of 4203 Old 05-11-2019, 12:32 PM
Newbie
 
glebonator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: CA
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'm starting to worry about all the mentions of "totally darkened rooms" etc... that's not going to be needed with this projector, right? First time moving off a tv so not sure what to expect. I only have basic vertical blinds installed which leak tons of outside light but only planning on watching at night. Further expenses on extra rolldown shades would be unwelcome after the proj and having to replace the receiver (old one didn't pass hdcp 2.2 etc). I got a 135in screen too with a sitting distance of exactly 14 feet, now thinking the MOAR SCREEN greed was a bad idea and I should have stuck with 120.
glebonator is offline  
post #3072 of 4203 Old 05-11-2019, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
subacabra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Hillsborough, New Jersey
Posts: 2,422
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1601 Post(s)
Liked: 4671
Quote:
Originally Posted by glebonator View Post
I'm starting to worry about all the mentions of "totally darkened rooms" etc... that's not going to be needed with this projector, right? First time moving off a tv so not sure what to expect. I only have basic vertical blinds installed which leak tons of outside light but only planning on watching at night. Further expenses on extra rolldown shades would be unwelcome after the proj and having to replace the receiver (old one didn't pass hdcp 2.2 etc). I got a 135in screen too with a sitting distance of exactly 14 feet, now thinking the MOAR SCREEN greed was a bad idea and I should have stuck with 120.
If the majority of your viewing is at night like you said you'll be totally fine. I've also used mine with lights on and though of course it washes it out a bit it's still plenty viewable.
subacabra is online now  
post #3073 of 4203 Old 05-11-2019, 01:25 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So, i have recived my W2700 and its been running for about 20 hours!
On the box it says April 19, so it must be the 2nd batch!
What i have owned before this and what i also can compare it to is:

Epson tw700
Benq w1070
Benq 1100(2050)?
Benq 2000(3050) Colour Wheel failure!
Optoma UHD51 (Returned it due to poor black levels)

Ive seen some of the quirks thats been mentioned here but its no biggy:

1. Fans!
Holy moly, thats loud comared to UHD51

2. Split screen!
Goes away in a couple of seconds and probably gets better with a firmware update

3. chromatic aberration!
Mine is like "Randomite" or "Troub" in post #2736 . Like a nasty blue shaddow to the left in objects and text

4. Uneven focus!
Sharp to the right and in the middle but in the left upper corner blurry! Have it ceiling mounted so....
Like my w1070 that also had the exactly same phenomenon and i never got used to! Maybe need to RMA it?
Reads alot of text and of course alot here at Avsforum
Its a shame becauce this and the chromatic aberration is the only thing i dont like with it!

5. Iris!
Pretty good in normal mode but sometimes its noticeble

Black levels compared to W2000(3050) in my eyes are pretty close! Its better on the W2000(3050) but not extremly!
Compared to the UHD51 that wins the sharpness contest, but loses big time in black levels to the W2700!

Colours and brightness is perfectly balanced!

Ive only used it for 20 hours, but would realy love to hear what you think about the picture sharpness and chromatic aberration!

Best Regards
Yves Claeys likes this.
HuxFlux is offline  
post #3074 of 4203 Old 05-12-2019, 03:14 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi,

New here

I have been thinking of buying this projector here in Europe (w2700 model). My current projector is Benq w1210st (ht2150st in us i think).

Anyone here that has had both projectors or seen them, how big upgrade the w2700 would be? Black levels, noise, contrast etc...

I have small room that has dark walls and ceiling with blackout curtains. I have been running the current projector on eco mode and it has enough brightness for my viewing. Current screen size is about 107 inches and w2700 would have around 103 inch. I have painted the screen on the wall. I can't have any real screen because of cats, that like to attack anything moving on the screen!! haha.. since i would have to paint the screen again for different size, what would be better., white or greyer screen?

Thanks for any help.
kuroifi is offline  
post #3075 of 4203 Old 05-12-2019, 06:45 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Regarding rainbow effect (RBE)...


I just managed to see the presentation of the W2700 and W5700 and I have to say, coming from an OLD LCD PJ I found them both to be stunning with regards to color and clarity. The dynamic iris on the W2700 had a really noticeable effect and resulted in great blacks as far I am concerned. Obviously the W5700 was significantly better in color and contrast.


However I noticed that I saw a surprising amount of RBE. Now I am VERY sensitive to RBE so don't think this will apply to anyone else. Only I and one salesman could see it and the others there had no problem with it.


RBE seemed slightly better on the W5700, don't know why or how that could be, maybe just perception.


My question is, for those who have used both the older 1080p Benqs like the 2050 and 3050, and also seen these new models, can you see a subjective increase in RBE?


I read Sage and others' very detailed discussion of the color wheel speed issue and it seems to me, having seen some 1080P Benqs like the HT2050 in a museum, that they seemed to have less RBE for me.


Just curious if anyone has any experience to report on this.


Thanks
Aaronman is offline  
post #3076 of 4203 Old 05-12-2019, 10:03 AM
Senior Member
 
home4sale2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 217
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronman View Post
Regarding rainbow effect (RBE)...


I just managed to see the presentation of the W2700 and W5700 and I have to say, coming from an OLD LCD PJ I found them both to be stunning with regards to color and clarity. The dynamic iris on the W2700 had a really noticeable effect and resulted in great blacks as far I am concerned. Obviously the W5700 was significantly better in color and contrast.


However I noticed that I saw a surprising amount of RBE. Now I am VERY sensitive to RBE so don't think this will apply to anyone else. Only I and one salesman could see it and the others there had no problem with it.


RBE seemed slightly better on the W5700, don't know why or how that could be, maybe just perception.


My question is, for those who have used both the older 1080p Benqs like the 2050 and 3050, and also seen these new models, can you see a subjective increase in RBE?


I read Sage and others' very detailed discussion of the color wheel speed issue and it seems to me, having seen some 1080P Benqs like the HT2050 in a museum, that they seemed to have less RBE for me.


Just curious if anyone has any experience to report on this.


Thanks


Not sure what more to say about it except either you see it AND you’re sensitive to it AND it bothers you OR it doesn’t. If latter, it’s a beautiful picture.

By the way, I have been watching with WCG on and I’m surprised how I much prefer it now. My eyes had been seeking pop. I prefer brilliant color on with it but my next step is a screen, painted or otherwise.

It was also good to hear an update in firmware will resolve annoyances. It’s a keeper for me.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aaronman likes this.
home4sale2 is offline  
post #3077 of 4203 Old 05-12-2019, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 6,410
Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2638 Post(s)
Liked: 2584
BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronman View Post
Regarding rainbow effect (RBE)...


I just managed to see the presentation of the W2700 and W5700 and I have to say, coming from an OLD LCD PJ I found them both to be stunning with regards to color and clarity. The dynamic iris on the W2700 had a really noticeable effect and resulted in great blacks as far I am concerned. Obviously the W5700 was significantly better in color and contrast.


However I noticed that I saw a surprising amount of RBE. Now I am VERY sensitive to RBE so don't think this will apply to anyone else. Only I and one salesman could see it and the others there had no problem with it.


RBE seemed slightly better on the W5700, don't know why or how that could be, maybe just perception.


My question is, for those who have used both the older 1080p Benqs like the 2050 and 3050, and also seen these new models, can you see a subjective increase in RBE?


I read Sage and others' very detailed discussion of the color wheel speed issue and it seems to me, having seen some 1080P Benqs like the HT2050 in a museum, that they seemed to have less RBE for me.


Just curious if anyone has any experience to report on this.


Thanks

I’ve got an easy answer for you.

The HT2050A/HT3050/HT2150ST can display 24fps content with the color wheel at ‘full speed’. I discuss in that conversation how they arrive at the ‘5X’ for 24fps content so I won’t go into that here accept to say that the wheel is spinning at 7200rpm or 120Hz. This means an effective 240Hz due to two RGB segments per rotation,

Unfortunately, for the reasons I mentioned before, 4K 4-way-shift DLPs like the HT3550 here cannot do that because of the 4X shift required to produce the full 4K image. The HT3550 and HT5550 are the first two 4K 4-way-shift DLPs to natively support 24fps content. By that I mean they do not need to convert to 60Hz which requires a 3:2 pulldown that can introduce telecine judder. To do this, BenQ actually throttles the colorwheel slightly from 120Hz down to 96Hz (96 being a multiple of 24 or, really, 192 being a multiple of 48– due to two rgb segments per rotation).

So, if you’re watching 24fps content the effective color wheel speed of an HD RGBRGB DLP like the HT2050 is actually faster (240Hz) than the effective color wheel speed of the HT3550/HT5550 (196Hz). That might be just enough for someone who is very sensitive to RBE to notice a difference. It should be said here that you can ‘fix’ this by simply running the HT3550/HT5550 at 60Hz. You do this by eliminating 24fps output at your source. This means you’re back to the 240Hz effective speed. While this can introduce judder the fact is every other 4K 4X shift DLP from Benq, Optoma, Viewsonic, etc, HAS to do this.

I also want to mention that most people aren’t that sensitive to RBE and won’t be able to see a difference here. After all, the vast majority of DLPs on the market are so called ‘2X’ (basically non- RGBRGB DLPs). These have a color wheel that still spins at 120Hz but with only one RGB segment per rotation you get an effective speed of: 120Hz. ALL of Optoma’s HD home projectors are 2X. The majority of Viewsonic’s lineup is the same. Honestly, BenQ is unique among DLP manufacturers for having an unusually large percentage of their HD product lineup featuring an RGBRGB color wheel.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
sage11x is online now  
post #3078 of 4203 Old 05-12-2019, 03:19 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
hello everyone, i just received my benq ht3550, but I have a problem I use it with a nvidia shield tv and I noticed some micro cut of sounds (1 sec) when I use vlc or netflix / plex, I do not use any audio device only the sound of the video projector, someone already has a similar problem or is it a
manufacturing defect ?
jordan A is offline  
post #3079 of 4203 Old 05-12-2019, 06:08 PM
Senior Member
 
andy4theherd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 349
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'm still having issues (1 in 3 startups) with the screen displaying messed up colors. It bounces back and forth every couple if seconds. I've tried every setting in the menu and none make any difference. Only fix is to restart which is becoming a PITA because the unit has to cool down and then reboot taking a couple of minutes. I've also started having the issue with a small rectangular black box at the bottom right corner. I recall someone else posting about this several pages back. It also takes a reboot to resolve.

Any ideas?
andy4theherd is offline  
post #3080 of 4203 Old 05-12-2019, 06:23 PM
Member
 
cfelicio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
I’ve got an easy answer for you.

The HT2050A/HT3050/HT2150ST can display 24fps content with the color wheel at ‘full speed’. I discuss in that conversation how they arrive at the ‘5X’ for 24fps content so I won’t go into that here accept to say that the wheel is spinning at 7200rpm or 120Hz. This means an effective 240Hz due to two RGB segments per rotation,

Unfortunately, for the reasons I mentioned before, 4K 4-way-shift DLPs like the HT3550 here cannot do that because of the 4X shift required to produce the full 4K image. The HT3550 and HT5550 are the first two 4K 4-way-shift DLPs to natively support 24fps content. By that I mean they do not need to convert to 60Hz which requires a 3:2 pulldown that can introduce telecine judder. To do this, BenQ actually throttles the colorwheel slightly from 120Hz down to 96Hz (96 being a multiple of 24 or, really, 192 being a multiple of 48– due to two rgb segments per rotation).

So, if you’re watching 24fps content the effective color wheel speed of an HD RGBRGB DLP like the HT2050 is actually faster (240Hz) than the effective color wheel speed of the HT3550/HT5550 (196Hz). That might be just enough for someone who is very sensitive to RBE to notice a difference. It should be said here that you can ‘fix’ this by simply running the HT3550/HT5550 at 60Hz. You do this by eliminating 24fps output at your source. This means you’re back to the 240Hz effective speed. While this can introduce judder the fact is every other 4K 4X shift DLP from Benq, Optoma, Viewsonic, etc, HAS to do this.

I also want to mention that most people aren’t that sensitive to RBE and won’t be able to see a difference here. After all, the vast majority of DLPs on the market are so called ‘2X’ (basically non- RGBRGB DLPs). These have a color wheel that still spins at 120Hz but with only one RGB segment per rotation you get an effective speed of: 120Hz. ALL of Optoma’s HD home projectors are 2X. The majority of Viewsonic’s lineup is the same. Honestly, BenQ is unique among DLP manufacturers for having an unusually large percentage of their HD product lineup featuring an RGBRGB color wheel.
Oh, I wish I knew about this earlier LOL! I have been running mine at 4k 24Hz for the past couple of weeks, and although rainbows are not visible on normal scenes, it becomes a rainbow fest on dark stuff (like game of thrones). I'll switch over to 60hz tonight, thanks for the tip!
cfelicio is offline  
post #3081 of 4203 Old 05-12-2019, 08:42 PM
Newbie
 
glebonator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: CA
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan A View Post
hello everyone, i just received my benq ht3550, but I have a problem I use it with a nvidia shield tv and I noticed some micro cut of sounds (1 sec) when I use vlc or netflix / plex, I do not use any audio device only the sound of the video projector, someone already has a similar problem or is it a
manufacturing defect ?

I was testing my new nvidia shield with the old tv (projector not here yet) and have the same issue, I blamed the receiver but I guess it might be the shield itself...
glebonator is offline  
post #3082 of 4203 Old 05-12-2019, 10:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
subacabra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Hillsborough, New Jersey
Posts: 2,422
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1601 Post(s)
Liked: 4671
Decided to put my settings back to default after running chhanthonys settings for a while.
Wanted to compare brilliant color on/off with hdr content.
Kind of 50/50 on this. Honestly it looks amazing either way. I did see a slight increase in overall contrast with it off, but then turned it on and it looked really good too lol
Here's a few screenshots. The first three are with it on, the last three off. I don't know, what do you guys think?

Here's a shot from my D-Nice calibrated Sony x900e for reference.
chhanthony likes this.

Last edited by subacabra; 05-12-2019 at 10:44 PM.
subacabra is online now  
post #3083 of 4203 Old 05-13-2019, 01:54 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by glebonator View Post
I was testing my new nvidia shield with the old tv (projector not here yet) and have the same issue, I blamed the receiver but I guess it might be the shield itself...
yep after some research, I discovered that it comes from the nvidia shield tv
( but it's strange with my optoma 142x with integrated sound too, i don't have any problem with shield and sound only with this ht3550 )

if I insert directly a USB key or hard drive in the projector ( internal media player ) , I do not have the problem.
jordan A is offline  
post #3084 of 4203 Old 05-13-2019, 02:34 AM
Newbie
 
glebonator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: CA
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan A View Post
yep after some research, I discovered that it comes from the nvidia shield tv
( but it's strange with my optoma 142x with integrated sound too, i don't have any problem with shield and sound only with this ht3550 )

if I insert directly a USB key or hard drive in the projector ( internal media player ) , I do not have the problem.

Looking around more this is apparently a fundamental problem due to NVidia not wanting to pay for some Dolby license lol. This means it's not fixable, though apparently Kodi player has an option to "keep audio alive" or something to that effect so some apps can get around it. If having Netflix lose a second of audio on unpausing is not something you can live with, then I guess the shield just lost a customer. I'm still on the fence, because it's nice otherwise...
glebonator is offline  
post #3085 of 4203 Old 05-13-2019, 10:13 AM
Senior Member
 
home4sale2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 217
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Subacabra, I have gone to default settings as well. I forced myself to watch with WCG on as others stated (to give this setting a chance) and it took me a good 5-10 hours of viewing to get used to it and now I prefer WCG on. As for Brilliant colors on/off, can't really tell the difference enough to comment as you stated. I just leave it on.
home4sale2 is offline  
post #3086 of 4203 Old 05-13-2019, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member
 
Samfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 542
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by home4sale2 View Post
Subacabra, I have gone to default settings as well. I forced myself to watch with WCG on as others stated (to give this setting a chance) and it took me a good 5-10 hours of viewing to get used to it and now I prefer WCG on. As for Brilliant colors on/off, can't really tell the difference enough to comment as you stated. I just leave it on.
I have hit reset as well and gone back to factory settings. I prefer the WCG filter on, but with Brilliant Color set to off. I continue seeing some stunning images from 4K HDR and SDR clips off of You Tube.
curtlots, home4sale2 and subacabra like this.
Samfield is offline  
post #3087 of 4203 Old 05-13-2019, 11:03 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Cornwall UK
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 57
In response to HuxFlux's post No:3073 regards Chromic aberration and out of Focus - I can only say that with my unit Chromic aberration is present but mild and requires you to be close to the screen to notice it and I made a point of checking top left of my screen.... no obvious blur/ out of focus either!
DLPdisciple is offline  
post #3088 of 4203 Old 05-13-2019, 11:12 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by home4sale2 View Post
Subacabra, I have gone to default settings as well. I forced myself to watch with WCG on as others stated (to give this setting a chance) and it took me a good 5-10 hours of viewing to get used to it and now I prefer WCG on. As for Brilliant colors on/off, can't really tell the difference enough to comment as you stated. I just leave it on.
Can wcg and the dynamic iris both be switched on at the same time?
msankadi is offline  
post #3089 of 4203 Old 05-13-2019, 11:27 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I get my 3rd replacement of this projector today from Amazon. Fingers crossed I have no issues! Fortunately the exchange process from Amazon is much better than other sellers.
Keltron is offline  
post #3090 of 4203 Old 05-13-2019, 12:03 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltron View Post
I get my 3rd replacement of this projector today from Amazon. Fingers crossed I have no issues! Fortunately the exchange process from Amazon is much better than other sellers.
Thisis just for my understanding : Hypothetically , If it was a minor issue would it have been better to use the projector for a couple of years and then avail the benq warranty? Do they create any problems to replace?

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk
msankadi is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off