BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread - Page 105 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2205Likes

post #3121 of 3955 Old 05-14-2019, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I wouldn't accept any issue at this price range even for a 10% refund.

The reason I don't want this PJ is not only related to its current issues but also to its lens throw and the overall brightness.

If I want to light up a 120" screen in a moderately light controlled living room I need a bit more lumens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3122 of 3955 Old 05-14-2019, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delumine View Post
How can I tell if my unit is defective?

Is there a test I can run to determine the lumen/color output?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's no "test" really but you can tell if the colors just don't look right. For me, it was obvious when I turned on my Apple TV and the normally white background sort of had a colored gradient and the white didn't look white. That was my personal test.
post #3123 of 3955 Old 05-14-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ig3l View Post

The reason I don't want this PJ is not only related to its current issues but also to its lens throw and the overall brightness.

If I want to light up a 120" screen in a moderately light controlled living room I need a bit more lumens.
The TK800M might be a good choice for you then. It's plenty bright and has excellent sharpness. The colors are great too but just suffers from poor/crushed blacks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3124 of 3955 Old 05-14-2019, 11:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltron View Post
There's no "test" really but you can tell if the colors just don't look right. For me, it was obvious when I turned on my Apple TV and the normally white background sort of had a colored gradient and the white didn't look white. That was my personal test.

Can you post an example picture?

I got my PJ yesterday, and did two calibrations.

One for SDR using the cinema profile (D-Cinema is too dull, and there’s no HDR to justify it)

One for HDR with WCG enabled, which doesn’t seem as vibrant. But reds, and water looks more natural.

I know it’s a step-up over my ACER H7850

post #3125 of 3955 Old 05-14-2019, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 177 Post(s)
Quoted: 2583 Post(s)
Liked: 2529
Quote:
I'm also not very pleased by the performance of the HT3550.

I'm waiting for the announcement and the first tests of the real successor of the Tk800 later this year.

What exactly disappointed you about the Ht3550?

The TK800M is an excellent projector but it has a completely different mission. The TK800M is ridiculously bright and is intended to compete with ambient light. In fact, my only real complaint with the original TK800 (which I reviewed) was I couldn’t find a way to make it dim enough for comfortable viewing in a dark room. For some people that’s a good problem to have.

The HT3550 is made for theater it dark cinema viewing. It can compete with some ambient light in the right setting but that’s not it’s forte.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #3126 of 3955 Old 05-14-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltron View Post

One for SDR using the cinema profile (D-Cinema is too dull, and there’s no HDR to justify it)

One for HDR with WCG enabled, which doesn’t seem as vibrant. But reds, and water looks more natural.

Attached. I don’t have a picture of my good HT3550 but I can upload when I get home tonight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	03B70964-9CA8-4D43-94DE-0279017AE510_1557858125234.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	2566744  
post #3127 of 3955 Old 05-14-2019, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:

There’s one user profile setting. Did you save one of them in User and modified the Cinema for SDR? Thx

post #3128 of 3955 Old 05-14-2019, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 54
BenQ is allowing me to RMA the unit. I’m debating if I should wait for the new firmware release or not. Either way, I will be able to compare the two units. Lately I have noticed an issue with NF HDR only that 20 min in, it loses source and I have to turn off and back on and it doesn’t do it again for hours. Secondly, brightness level changes with a drop in lumens by 20%. It could be a smart eco thing as I have the DI off.

No issues with physical player. Also tested 3D, wow!

Still love this projector though. Can’t wait for updated firmware.

post #3129 of 3955 Old 05-14-2019, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblade44 View Post
I returned my 3550 and was thinking of the TK800M.... other than color difference anything else jump out?

PS WCG= Wide Color Gamete
The throw distance of the ht3550 is shorter. This is better for me. I was mostly concerned about ambient light. I thought tk800m would be better bc of it. But I found the 3550 bright enough
To be honest you can’t tell the diff between the PQ of these projectors unless ulook at the picture side by side.
I projected GOT on the same screen side by side. Cersei’s burgundy dress and her skin tone looked much warmer/realistic on the3550 vs the tk800

I asked my teens to look in case my eyes were playing tricks on me. They preferred the 3550. I always watch at night. But with some ambient light both the projectors looked equally bright.

I did feel that the tk800m was perhaps a tad sharper whereas the 3550 was more smooth cinematic.

How do I turn wcg on/off? Thx
post #3130 of 3955 Old 05-14-2019, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 42
BenQ also emailed me today saying they have stock for an Advanced RMA and my new unit is on its way. Most of the issues I had only happened a handful of times and then stopped, so I'm hoping the RMA fixes:

1. The fan in my unit that makes a clicking noise at boot and at shutdown and any other time the speed rapidly changes.
2. The XPR component's sound sometimes stopping and starting every few seconds. I've had to resort to running in Silent mode for 1080p content.
3. Half blacked-out screen or wonky colors on ~1/5 boots, necessitating a reboot.
4. Noise and flicker from the Dynamic Iris.

I'm doubtful on the last two, but I'm fine waiting for a firmware update for them if I can get the first two fixed.

Other than these I still love the projector. I can't check the hours on the lamp but I've had it for almost exactly 1 month and I'd bet it's at 150-180 hours.
post #3131 of 3955 Old 05-14-2019, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2L84U View Post
BenQ also emailed me today saying they have stock for an Advanced RMA and my new unit is on its way. Most of the issues I had only happened a handful of times and then stopped, so I'm hoping the RMA fixes:

1. The fan in my unit that makes a clicking noise at boot and at shutdown and any other time the speed rapidly changes.

2. The XPR component's sound sometimes stopping and starting every few seconds. I've had to resort to running in Silent mode for 1080p content.

3. Half blacked-out screen or wonky colors on ~1/5 boots, necessitating a reboot.

4. Noise and flicker from the Dynamic Iris.

I'm doubtful on the last two, but I'm fine waiting for a firmware update for them if I can get the first two fixed.

Other than these I still love the projector. I can't check the hours on the lamp but I've had it for almost exactly 1 month and I'd bet it's at 150-180 hours.

You can quickly fix the half screen issue by toggling brilliant color

post #3132 of 3955 Old 05-14-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
You can quickly fix the half screen issue by toggling brilliant color

Most of the time it's the colors (for the whole picture) rapidly shift from one color to another, like a rainbow. I tried toggling every setting I could find and none of them did anything. The only thing that ever worked was to reboot.

The half-screen thing only happened I think once and I probably just assumed it was the same thing. But if it happens again I'll try toggling BC. Thanks.
post #3133 of 3955 Old 05-14-2019, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:

I ordered from Amazon while out of stock, I just got a delivery update that I can expect it between June 12th and July 10th!

SWEET!
post #3134 of 3955 Old 05-14-2019, 06:54 PM

Ok, I did another test. Enabled WCG, and tried episode 1 of stranger things Season 2, and it looks pretty sweet. But it’s still scratching at me, that non WCG looks more vibrant?

Like Valeriano in the planet scene

post #3135 of 3955 Old 05-14-2019, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
BenQ actually recommends leaving Brilliant Color on when the WCG filer is in place. It also gains you a few more lumens.

I posted this before but I’ll post it again:

HDR10 with WCG on/ D.Cinema. My fiancée and I use for serious, lights out, volume up, game faces on watching.

HDR10/Cinema. We use for a lot of our ‘casual’ movie watching or when company is over.

Vivid we use for lights on TV/Netflix.

Like any good display, you can adjust the HT3550 for your environment and the content you are watching.

How are you accessing more options when in HDR mode?

I only have the one mode when HDR is enabled, and everything else pops up in SDR content.

Also Brilliant Color makes everything more yellow

post #3136 of 3955 Old 05-14-2019, 07:25 PM

BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread

Ok, so I’m finally set on the settings I’m going to be using going forward:

I’m using the settings from here: http://avnewbie.com save for the motion enhancer setting, and the disabling of brilliant color.

I use the Cinema Mode with the above Settings for SDR, set the color enhancer to 5 to provide a nice boost, and also enable brilliant color which does make a difference in this mode.

4K/1080P/SDR content looks great, and vibrant. It’s perfect for watching TV shows and movies.

As for the HDR content, I juggled SO MANY times between the different modes, HDR brightness, temperature, WCG Toggle, Brilliant color, and such.

After watching multiple Lossless 4K HDR content (Aquaman, Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets, Spider-Verse, Overlord) and some titles on Netflix (Stranger Things Season 2) with friends and family we came to the conclusion that these are the best settings:

Above URL Color Settings and:

WCG: ON
Brilliant Color: OFF (It pretty much casts a yellow filter over everything)
Color temperature: Normal
Gamma: 2.4

Your eyes will try to convince you that with WCG on, the colors look dull when directly cycling through On/OFF, but the truth is that WCG produces more realistic colors, and once you adjust you have a superb accurate picture that isn’t exaggerated. It produces beautiful skin tones, water, and colors that don’t scream fake.

The only Wildcard is the HDR level, and how it can really affect the mood for certain movies.

Valerian: +1-2 works well
Spider-Verse: +1-2
Overlord: +0-1
Stranger Things: 0
AquaMan: 0 (+1-2) is way too bright and makes the movie look blurry

YMMV: I have my projector the closest I possibly can in accordance with the calculator, projected onto an 84” Motorized Screen, so I benefit from a lot of Lumens already.

The point is that the only setting you should really be adjusting for HDR is the light level. Otherwise the above settings are pretty much set-and-forget.

The only thing I’m unsure of is the Pixel Enhancer Setting: I have it set to 5, but was wondering if there was a better setting.

Extra Information:

Bugs: Half-Screen phenomenon, and Brilliant Color turning itself on sometimes; fix by toggling brilliant color on and off

Media Players Performance:

* Apple TV 4K UI will look kinda ****ty since it’s rendered in 4K, and well the WCG will make the UI itself look strange until you actually play a beautiful HDR movie.

* Apple TV 4K can output 4:2:2 10BIT

* Nvidia Shield UI is rendered in SDR, so it looks more aesthetically pleasing since it leverages the cinema mode for vibrant UI colors, beta-Color switching allows you to watch your HDR content in WCG with no problems, oh and I can play my Atmos content with my Shield

* Nvidia Shield can output 4:2:2 12BIT REC 2020

For now it seems like I’ll be using my Nvidia Shield more, but if you’re considering upgrading to this projector, I’d highly recommend it.

I had the ACER H7850 Prior to this one, and while it has a respectable 4K Image, and pretty good colors. It’s riddled with bugs, not user-updatable, requires the manual enabling of HDR, and has worse tone mapping, light levels, and black levels.

I did a comparison by loading one of the first scenes of Overlord in 4K HDR when he rises from the water from the parachute and walks towards the camera as the campfire is to his left.

For the ACER, there’s only so much you can do, and it’s not that black, just dark. The BenQ not only produces vastly blacker scenes, but can even provide more colors and light detail through its tone-mapping. Hell I thought something was wrong initially because I had HDR set to +2 and it didn’t look like night time, but too bright and colorful.

That’s why it’s important to set a good level for the type of movie, and allow your eyes to adjust to the WCG.

Last edited by Delumine; 05-14-2019 at 08:44 PM.
post #3137 of 3955 Old 05-14-2019, 08:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
What’s a good setting for pixel enhancer?

For me i like it at 5. I don't really see it do anything unless its a 1080p/i signal. Mainly for me its with 3d content since the Oppo bluray player upscales to 4k.
post #3138 of 3955 Old 05-14-2019, 10:03 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyroo View Post
Quote:
What exactly disappointed you about the Ht3550?

The TK800M is an excellent projector but it has a completely different mission. The TK800M is ridiculously bright and is intended to compete with ambient light. In fact, my only real complaint with the original TK800 (which I reviewed) was I couldn’t find a way to make it dim enough for comfortable viewing in a dark room. For some people that’s a good problem to have.

The HT3550 is made for theater it dark cinema viewing. It can compete with some ambient light in the right setting but that’s not it’s forte.
I being following this thread and seen both @sage11x and @scottyroo 's review. I have a question. HT3550 is a color accurate projector intended for critical viewing. Will the higher brightness version of the ht3550 have less accurate color and worse contrast and black level? I know this is an unknown right now but based on the technology and other high brightness projectors, can we give a good prediction that that will be the case?
post #3139 of 3955 Old 05-14-2019, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyroo View Post
Quote:

1st image is with WCG turned off, but to my actual eyes it looks more vibrante

2nd image WCG is on, but it looks more dull.

I don’t understand how this mode is supposed to have more colors?

I just wanted to share my thoughts. I did get to see the ht3550 in action. At first I didn't see that much of a difference in resolution or color compared to a ht2050 (4k at 120" is not going to look razor sharp like 4k at 65"). The picture seem to have a bluish cool tint with WCG on. So is this calibrated to D65 reference white point? But I do have to say, the bluish color tint I perceive made the colors look more saturated compared to WCG off and brilliant color on. I do wish that it was brighter but turning up the hdr brightness to +2 made the colors/whole picture look more washed out. (In complete dark, my eyes ended up prefering the colors for WCG on hdr brightness 0, even though the picture is a lot dimmer. The blue on Yondu's face in guardians 2 "popped" more in the dimmer picture for me when WCG is on...) I guess it was necessary for projectors to lower the brightness to produce more saturated colors? I don't have the projector with me right now but I faintly recall WCG on and brilliant color on gave it a greenish tint. I do have to point out that I was projecting on a white wall (Never got around to buying a better screen...) So what I am seeing is not the best reflective property/color.

Then I compared the ht3550 vs the ht2050 side by side and I can see shadow details where it was just black on the ht2050 (I guess that is the dynamic iris doing it's job) and colors are more saturated. I did more eyeball tests with 4k bluray at different screen sizes (aquaman, guardian of the galaxy 2, ready player one, and netflix's altered carbon. The birdseye view of the city in episode 2 shows a difference in color. ht2050 cinema mode looks greenish while the ht3550 is a bright blue). The ht3550 didn't wow me (got use to oled tv where colors are saturated and bright in vivid mode...I compared the same scenes on ht3550 with the oled so I know how the colors and dark scenes should look and the WCG is closer to the oled.) But I started to see and appreciate the increased resolution and color. And obviously the benefit of a projector compared to a tv is the ability to project it to 100-120" screen. But as mentioned, this projector looks best on a smaller screen size (with wcg ON). I do wish it looked brighter on bigger screen size. That is why I am curious if the brighter version of the ht3550 can get brighter without sacrificing colors/contrast/black level. New tech always cost a lot. 4k, wcg filter, dynamic iris here compared to prices of other similar projector makes the $1500 a very competitive price. But the ht2050 is still awesome. I am still not sure if the ht3550 is worth double/triple the price right now based on the picture. There are arguments on buying 1080p projector for cheap to enjoy now or having to wait for the brighter ht3550 or benq price drop/refurb a yr from now instead of buying/upgrading to ht3550 to enjoy right now.

Last edited by IDAnonymous; 05-15-2019 at 11:41 AM.
post #3140 of 3955 Old 05-15-2019, 01:02 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:

* Nvidia Shield UI is rendered in SDR, so it looks more aesthetically pleasing since it leverages the cinema mode for vibrant UI colors, beta-Color switching allows you to watch your HDR content in WCG with no problems, oh and I can play my Atmos content with my Shield

* Nvidia Shield can output 4:2:2 12BIT REC 2020

For now it seems like I’ll be using my Nvidia Shield more, but if you’re considering upgrading to this projector, I’d highly recommend it.
thank you for share ur setting ,I use the shield too , but you never have the problem that I have, randomly micro audio cut ( 1sec ) ? could you tell me what audio configuration you using and which audio setting do you use on shield ?
post #3141 of 3955 Old 05-15-2019, 01:36 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 108
If turn WCG ON will turn the image blueish then change the color temp to warm may have a little help.
If Brilliant Color On turn the image yellowish then change the color temp to cool may have a little help.

Get a formal calibration will never get wrong.

Anthony Chan
AV Blog: http://www.avnewbie.com
System: 5.3.4
Panasonic DMP-UB900EBK, Egreat A5, Anthem AVM60, Krell KAV2250 X 2, Theater Amplifier Standard, M&K S-150 X 5, SS150 X 4, Martin Logan Descent-i and Thiel SS 2, SS2.2 and SI 1 Integrator, Benq HT1075, JK 126" Fixed Screen N4-FL/W1
post #3142 of 3955 Old 05-15-2019, 06:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDAnonymous View Post
I being following this thread and seen both @sage11x and @scottyroo's review. I have a question. HT3550 is a color accurate projector intended for critical viewing. Will the higher brightness version of the ht3550 have less accurate color and worse contrast and black level? I know this is an unknown right now but based on the technology and other high brightness projectors, can we give a good prediction that that will be the case?
Traditionally, bright projectors aimed at combatting ambient light have sacrificed some color accuracy and ultimate image quality to achieve their higher efficiency. I expect the brighter variant of the HT3550 to follow that rule.
IDAnonymous likes this.

Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

post #3143 of 3955 Old 05-15-2019, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Just curious if anyone runs their projector in ECO lamp mode? I understand the bulb life, but why sacrifice brightness / picture for it? Picture seems much more vibrant in Normal lamp mode, but wondering if this is just noticeable as you flip back and forth and once used to the ECO mode, then everything looks fine?

The thing I do like about ECO mode is the fan noise is MUCH quieter, does't matter when I'm watching a movie with the surround up though.
post #3144 of 3955 Old 05-15-2019, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by file8761 View Post
Just curious if anyone runs their projector in ECO lamp mode? I understand the bulb life, but why sacrifice brightness / picture for it? Picture seems much more vibrant in Normal lamp mode, but wondering if this is just noticeable as you flip back and forth and once used to the ECO mode, then everything looks fine?

The thing I do like about ECO mode is the fan noise is MUCH quieter, does't matter when I'm watching a movie with the surround up though.
I run mine in Eco at all times, specifically to make the fan quieter like you mentioned. The ever-so-slightly reduced brightness doesn't bother me.
file8761 and Spaded21 like this.
post #3145 of 3955 Old 05-15-2019, 07:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I use the projector in eco the vast majority of the time. In fact, the only time I use normal lamp is when running the wide color filter or D.Cinema. Outside of the filter I find normal too bright for dark room use. FYI, my screen is only a 100" 1.1 gain although my room isn't exactly ideal. Still, the HT3550 is more than bright enough in eco.
curtlots and file8761 like this.

post #3146 of 3955 Old 05-15-2019, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2L84U View Post
I run mine in Eco at all times, specifically to make the fan quieter like you mentioned. The ever-so-slightly reduced brightness doesn't bother me.
Quote:
I use the projector in eco the vast majority of the time. In fact, the only time I use normal lamp is when running the wide color filter or D.Cinema. I do occasionally switch to smarteco for lights on viewing. FYI, my screen is a 100" 1.1 gain although my room isn't exactly ideal. Still, the HT3550 is more than bright enough in eco.
Thank you both! I'm going to try leaving it in ECO mode for awhile and see how things go. I am in my basement, light controlled, with a 112" screen. Picture did look good originally running in ECO mode, then I changed to normal and get that jump in brightness and left it.
post #3147 of 3955 Old 05-15-2019, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDAnonymous View Post
I just wanted to share my thoughts. I did get to see the ht3550 in action. At first I didn't see that much of a difference in resolution or color compared to a ht2050 (4k at 120" is not going to look razor sharp like 4k at 65"). The picture seem to have a bluish cool tint with WCG on. So is this calibrated to D65 reference white point? But I do have to say, the bluish color tint I perceive made the colors look more saturated compared to WCG off and brilliant color on. I do wish that it was brighter but turning up the hdr brightness to +2 made the colors/whole picture look more washed out. (In complete dark, my eyes ended up prefering the colors for WCG on hdr brightness 0, even though the picture is a lot dimmer. The blue on Yondu's face in guardians 2 "popped" more in the dimmer picture for me when WCG is on...) I guess it was necessary for projectors to lower the brightness to produce more saturated colors? I don't have the projector with me right now but I faintly recall WCG on and brilliant color on gave it a greenish tint. I do have to point out that I was projecting on a white wall (Never got around to buying a better screen...) So what I am seeing is not the best reflective property/color.

Then I compared the ht3550 vs the ht2050 side by side and I can see shadow details where it was just black on the ht2050 (I guess that is the dynamic iris doing it's job) and colors are more saturated. I did more eyeball tests with 4k bluray at different screen sizes (aquaman, guardian of the galaxy 2, ready player one, and netflix's altered carbon. The birdseye view of the city in episode 2 shows a difference in color. ht2050 cinema mode looks greenish while the ht3550 is a bright blue). The ht3550 didn't wow me (got use to oled tv where colors are saturated and bright in vivid mode...I compared the same scenes on ht3550 with the oled so I know how the colors and dark scenes should look and the WCG is closer to the oled.) But I started to see and appreciate the increased resolution and color. And obviously the benefit of a projector compared to a tv is the ability to project it to 100-120" screen. But as mentioned, this projector looks best on a smaller screen size (with wcg ON). I do wish it looked brighter on bigger screen size. That is why I am curious if the brighter version of the ht3550 can get brighter without sacrificing colors/contrast/black level. New tech always cost a lot. 4k, wcg filter, dynamic iris here compared to prices of other similar projector makes the $1500 a very competitive price. But the ht2050 is still awesome. I am still not sure if the ht3550 is worth double/triple the price right now based on the picture. There are arguments on buying 1080p projector for cheap to enjoy now or having to wait for the brighter ht3550 or benq price drop/refurb a yr from now instead of buying/upgrading to ht3550 to enjoy right now.
I am thinking the same thing.... keep my Epson 2040 until I can get a refurb 5040\5050 or HT3550... The 3550 was definitely better picture than the 2040 but is it 1500$ better? Not IMO .. the 2040 still looks pretty good for 1080P content... the 3D was better on HT3550 but don't watch much 3D content...
post #3148 of 3955 Old 05-15-2019, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you both! I'm going to try leaving it in ECO mode for awhile and see how things go. I am in my basement, light controlled, with a 112" screen. Picture did look good originally running in ECO mode, then I changed to normal and get that jump in brightness and left it.

Everyone has their preferences. I think most people would say they enjoy a nice bright image. That’s fine but there is a line between bright and TOO bright. I often make suggestions to friends and family to turn down the brightness— especially when viewing in a fully dark room— on their TV and the response, I’d say 99% of the time, is overwhelmingly positive. This same applies to projectors...

In a dark room an overly bright image might initially seem more exciting or detailed but the truth is it can also be fatiguing and, depending on the viewing conditions, unnecessary. I’m not suggesting anyone be happy with a DIM image. You need to match your display to your screen size and your room. But the HT3550 is plenty bright for it’s intended use: dark room viewing. Maybe it’s because I don’t own an LCD television but I’ve never warmed to that eye ball searing brightness that most LCDs come out of the box in (and most owners simply leave in). I would encourage anyone to try turning down the brightness or, in a projectors case, switch to a lower lamp power and just give it a chance for a couple of hours. Let your eyes and brain adjust and see how you feel. You can always go back if you find you like the brighter mode.
file8761 likes this.

post #3149 of 3955 Old 05-15-2019, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 75
In a perfect world, let’s say I something like, oh, a professional mastering / color grading facility, you have a “dim surround” with a fair amount of gray (D65) bias lighting everywhere, and your display is some kind of CRT BVM with god like contrast ratio and a great big color gamut.

I imagine (just a thought experiment, not real numbers) the projector equivalent of that monitor would be something like a cinema-grade laser projector directing all 40,000 lumens of its power onto a 30” rectangle of black felt, ie a screen with a gain of 0.01 not a typo. Such a dark projection surface will keep whites down to 100 nits but blacks will be very black.

And don’t forget the neutral gray bias lighting everywhere else in the room.

The point of that bias lighting is to keep the human eye from dilating its iris completely.

In those conditions, no, you’re not likely to complain about eye fatigue even with 100 nits of white.

Real world projection environments don’t do well with bias lighting for obvious reasons: if any of it bounces around and reaches the screen, you just raised the black floor and your contrast ratio goes to hell.

But in a bat cave, yes, 50 nits is plenty, because your eye is fully dilated. More would hurt (unless we’re talking about HDR where correctly graded and displayed HDR reserves such levels only for tiny patches of specular highlights etc).

I actually don’t think this projector gives you anywhere close to 100 nits on a big screen especially in its best image modes, but anyway, sage is right. This device is meant to be used in a dark room. Once you’re in a dark room, there’s a point past which you don’t want more light or you get a headache.
sage11x likes this.
post #3150 of 3955 Old 05-15-2019, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblade44 View Post
I am thinking the same thing.... keep my Epson 2040 until I can get a refurb 5040\5050 or HT3550... The 3550 was definitely better picture than the 2040 but is it 1500$ better? Not IMO .. the 2040 still looks pretty good for 1080P content... the 3D was better on HT3550 but don't watch much 3D content...
Yea, we are thinking similarly. But got to say it's already been a long wait (2+ yrs) for affordable non-faux 4k projector with wcg, dynamic iris... I wonder how long of a wait for a $1750 and below refurb laser/led 4k UST with good contrast, wcg, dci-p3 coverage. The LG HU85LA refurb dropped to $1,650. The upcoming Optoma p1 looks most promising at $3000 and only one with 3D! Not sure if I can tell the difference between 90% dci-p3 vs 95% dci-p3 of the ht3550. However, it doesn't have dynamic iris for better black.

Buying a benq ht3550 today at $1500 most likely means being committed to it for 3 years at least or taking a big loss when upgrading to the next projector. It is true that if a person is always waiting for the next big thing, they will always be waiting and not enjoying. But major leaps in projector tech doesn't come that often. I don't really need laser/led UST but that is a major leap for the future of projectors. If 4k laser/led ust gets better black levels it could cause ht3550 buyer remorse at $1500 when 4k laser/led ust becomes more affordable and closes the price gap (closer to $1500 launch price of ht3550). And a yr from now ppl might be asking whether to get the refurb laser/led UST or get the cheaper refurb ht3550 (continue to be best bang for the buck). But that is even more waiting instead of enjoying now...Sorry, kind of went on a rant.
Wesley Hester likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page