BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread - Page 107 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2197Likes

post #3181 of 3935 Old 05-17-2019, 05:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by pviader View Post
To the owners, perhaps we can initiate a kind of survey with the manufacturing month and rev. and the problems we face so we can find some correlation

For instance mine:

Date: April
REV: 01-100

Problems:
- Half screen (need to put BC on/off)
- Ratting noise (should be XPR as it disapears when using Silence)
- WGC and BC together produce green image

On a fina note, I am really happy with (moving from W1070) it after I change the HDMI cables, not sure where I get the best image from all the different devices but I've tested and worked well with:
- Mi BOX
- Fire stick 4k
- HTPC (madvr+mpc)
- Android box with Coreelec (S912)

All of them work well with ycbcr 422 10b or 12b (didn't check other for the moment) To my eyes the fire stick produce a slight better image, but it is quite subjective and maybe linked to a lot of things.
What were your display settings with Mibox? I was never able to get HDR with it, even when connected directly to PJ with monoprice certified 3ft cable. Also are you running latest firmware on Mibox?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3182 of 3935 Old 05-17-2019, 06:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by home4sale2 View Post
Do you have a shorter 4K certified cable by chance?
No, I don't at the moment. I did some more testing last night and could not reproduce the projector locking up, and the more I played with it, I think my problems may have been more an issue the Sony X700 player and the way it works. I tried 4K HDR Vudu and Netflix on the player, and it worked, but switching between playing 4K content and the Vudu and Netflix selection menus, the screen would go black the same way I saw earlier, but only last a couple of seconds. It was pretty annoying on Netflix, because if you paused on a selection long enough for the auto-preview to play, you would get this black screen, have to wait, move to the next selection, another black screen, etc. I think I would need to disable the previews to use this as a Netflix player.

I then tried again the Spiderverse 4k disc, the Mad Max 4k disc, and MI:Fallout 4k disc, and they all worked fine, but I would get the black screen for a couple of seconds, I think any time the signal changed ( i.e., going from 2k trailer to 4k menu / movie, or going from 4K movie back to player home screen ). It just was not a very smooth experience, but once the movie starts playing the picture and sound are awesome. Also, I played a couple of 1080p blu-ray discs, and they looked great.

I wonder if a shorter cable or Fiber cable will make these transitions smoother, or if it is just an issue of the player.

Anyways, this player is only a short term solution to have full Audio until I can upgrade my AVR to one that supports 4K HDR.
post #3183 of 3935 Old 05-17-2019, 06:15 AM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I don’t think a shorter cable makes a difference in this case. It’s the switching and handshakes which take a while and I heard 3550 does it better than previous gen and other 4K projectors. Mine does the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wesley Hester likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3184 of 3935 Old 05-17-2019, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblade44 View Post
What were your display settings with Mibox? I was never able to get HDR with it, even when connected directly to PJ with monoprice certified 3ft cable. Also are you running latest firmware on Mibox?
I have a xiaomi mi box tv, the one with Android tv, (not the S one), version 8.0
post #3185 of 3935 Old 05-17-2019, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by satipo View Post
No, I don't at the moment. I did some more testing last night and could not reproduce the projector locking up, and the more I played with it, I think my problems may have been more an issue the Sony X700 player and the way it works. I tried 4K HDR Vudu and Netflix on the player, and it worked, but switching between playing 4K content and the Vudu and Netflix selection menus, the screen would go black the same way I saw earlier, but only last a couple of seconds. It was pretty annoying on Netflix, because if you paused on a selection long enough for the auto-preview to play, you would get this black screen, have to wait, move to the next selection, another black screen, etc. I think I would need to disable the previews to use this as a Netflix player.

I then tried again the Spiderverse 4k disc, the Mad Max 4k disc, and MI:Fallout 4k disc, and they all worked fine, but I would get the black screen for a couple of seconds, I think any time the signal changed ( i.e., going from 2k trailer to 4k menu / movie, or going from 4K movie back to player home screen ). It just was not a very smooth experience, but once the movie starts playing the picture and sound are awesome. Also, I played a couple of 1080p blu-ray discs, and they looked great.

I wonder if a shorter cable or Fiber cable will make these transitions smoother, or if it is just an issue of the player.

Anyways, this player is only a short term solution to have full Audio until I can upgrade my AVR to one that supports 4K HDR.
FYI, as soon as you said that Sony player I knew it was the player. I had it and had all sorts of trouble just watching on my OLED TV. Researched online and it is known to have a ton of problems, and it seems Sony has abandoned actually fixing it for now. I simply put it back in the box because I couldn't return it. I went out and got the LGUBK90 player and had none of the issues I saw on the Sony.

Definitely sounds like it's the Sony player that could be causing the issues. I would return it and try another brand.
post #3186 of 3935 Old 05-17-2019, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 177 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked: 2524
Quote:
Originally Posted by satipo View Post

I had this same issue with my Sony X800 UHD Blu-Ray Player. Try setting your output on your Sony to 4K for streaming content and see if that makes a change. The issue WAS the Sony switches resolutions in the Netflix menu depending on the resolution of the content-- which is honestly dumb but it causes the projector to have to switch resolutions which can cause a momentary blank screen.

I haven't thought about this in some time as an update from Sony fixed this for me some months ago and I haven't had an issue since.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #3187 of 3935 Old 05-17-2019, 09:53 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 2
@sage11x , @scottyroo

I just upgrade my TH671st to the HT3550, will get it next week and need some help. Need a Mount (I have an angular roof close to 6/12), so I need one flexible to be able to line up my projector and attach it to the roof. Also the projector will have close to 2" space to attach the HDMI and need a highly recommended angular HDMI Male/Female, and last the Cable, will run on my roof (corner) to the screen then down to HTPC, I'm guessing it have to be close to 25-30 Ft or more.

I owned before the W1080st and TH671st but never a Projector that need to be mounted, any advice will be highly appreciated.
post #3188 of 3935 Old 05-17-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russdornisch View Post
FYI, as soon as you said that Sony player I knew it was the player. I had it and had all sorts of trouble just watching on my OLED TV. Researched online and it is known to have a ton of problems, and it seems Sony has abandoned actually fixing it for now. I simply put it back in the box because I couldn't return it. I went out and got the LGUBK90 player and had none of the issues I saw on the Sony.

Definitely sounds like it's the Sony player that could be causing the issues. I would return it and try another brand.
Thanks for the feedback. I adjusted some of the settings, and it is working better now, I'll just have to put it through its paces for the next couple of weeks, and may return it if it doesn't work well. I needed a player that could also do VUDU UHD, so that was one of the reasons I picked this one.
post #3189 of 3935 Old 05-17-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
I had this same issue with my Sony X800 UHD Blu-Ray Player. Try setting your output on your Sony to 4K for streaming content and see if that makes a change. The issue WAS the Sony switches resolutions in the Netflix menu depending on the resolution of the content-- which is honestly dumb but it causes the projector to have to switch resolutions which can cause a momentary blank screen.

I haven't thought about this in some time as an update from Sony fixed this for me some months ago and I haven't had an issue since.
Thanks for the help. I didn't see any specific setting for streaming in the settings, but there was a general setting for output video resolution. I changed this from auto to 4K. This helped, and I don't have any problem anymore with the Netflix menus. I do get the momentary blank screen when opening 4K HDR titles, but it is not too bad. I also turned of HDMI-CEC control and the quick-start option, and the player seems to be running better now.
sage11x likes this.
post #3190 of 3935 Old 05-17-2019, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 177 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked: 2524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph11 View Post
@sage11x , @scottyroo

I just upgrade my TH671st to the HT3550, will get it next week and need some help. Need a Mount (I have an angular roof close to 6/12), so I need one flexible to be able to line up my projector and attach it to the roof. Also the projector will have close to 2" space to attach the HDMI and need a highly recommended angular HDMI Male/Female, and last the Cable, will run on my roof (corner) to the screen then down to HTPC, I'm guessing it have to be close to 25-30 Ft or more.

I owned before the W1080st and TH671st but never a Projector that need to be mounted, any advice will be highly appreciated.

Many ceiling mounts will attach to an angled ceiling. I don’t have a specific recommendation here except to say that the Ht3550 isn’t a very large projector and at less than 10lbs it won’t require a heavy duty mount (you don’t need a chief mount here). That said, understand that cheap mounts generally lack adjustment or, at least, easy adjustment. I like Omni mount and Peerless. But if you don’t want to spend that much I’ve also had good luck with QualGear— just understand you get what you pay for and adjusting a cheap mount can be infuriating. I actually really like the BenQ OEM mount but it’s not designed for an angled ceiling.

As for cable— just make sure whatever you buy is rated for 4K @ 60Hz IN THE LENGTH YOU’RE BUYING. An easy way to tell is to look for one with a “premium certified HDMI” holographic sticker on it. I use a Media Bridge cable— ironically one of the brands that didn’t spring for the certification— it works great but my length is only 15’. Media bridge does sell a longer length which they claim is “hand tested” to ensure 4K @ 60Hz.

Be careful with right angle connectors. They can and will reduce signal strength. My recommendation would be to not mount your projector so close to the wall. Consider you’ll also need to fit the power cable back there and that will be worse than the HDMI in terms of clearance.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #3191 of 3935 Old 05-17-2019, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
Many ceiling mounts will attach to an angled ceiling. I don’t have a specific recommendation here except to say that the Ht3550 isn’t a very large projector and at less than 10lbs it won’t require a heavy duty mount (you don’t need a chief mount here). That said, understand that cheap mounts generally lack adjustment or, at least, easy adjustment. I like Omni mount and Peerless. But if you don’t want to spend that much I’ve also had good luck with QualGear— just understand you get what you pay for and adjusting a cheap mount can be infuriating. I actually really like the BenQ OEM mount but it’s not designed for an angled ceiling.

As for cable— just make sure whatever you buy is rated for 4K @ 60Hz IN THE LENGTH YOU’RE BUYING. An easy way to tell is to look for one with a “premium certified HDMI” holographic sticker on it. I use a Media Bridge cable— ironically one of the brands that didn’t spring for the certification— it works great but my length is only 15’. Media bridge does sell a longer length which they claim is “hand tested” to ensure 4K @ 60Hz.

Be careful with right angle connectors. They can and will reduce signal strength. My recommendation would be to not mount your projector so close to the wall. Consider you’ll also need to fit the power cable back there and that will be worse than the HDMI in terms of clearance.

Thanks for the reply, Sage11x

Not sure if you remember, I did post my concern regard the distance or clearance I will have to fill my 120" Screen, so the angle connectors I was told is a solution, also was planning to get one for the power. However just spend some time searching in Amazon for Cables (Fiber Looks Good but in the upper side $) and Angle Connectors, it bring a Concern, no one state if are HDMI 2.0b or Certified 4K @ 60Htz, nothing, no info at all. Does anyone know any Certified HDMI Cable that can be bend to fit my 2" gap from 3550 to wall ?

I know Scottyroo did post a link here to a store that he recommended, for HDMI "Certified" Cables, just can't locate the link, they also had Angles and I may call then with my concern. Making more measurements and I think the HDMI Cable after all the hoops and turns, it need to be closer to 35', Amazon have several but regard their reviews, I rather ask here

I found this one (again is upper side $) and seems to have Angles, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/RUIPRO-Fiber-...ay&sr=8-4&th=1

Anyone have experience with this one and the Angles are good ?

Any brand that is recommended (not that expensive), any info will be highly appreciated.

Understand 35' is a distance that I must play safe and make sure the Cable is a good one.

Need to do any purchase by Monday, to make sure will arrive before the 3550, etc.

Thanks in advance.
post #3192 of 3935 Old 05-17-2019, 05:07 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2L84U View Post
BenQ also emailed me today saying they have stock for an Advanced RMA and my new unit is on its way. Most of the issues I had only happened a handful of times and then stopped, so I'm hoping the RMA fixes:

1. The fan in my unit that makes a clicking noise at boot and at shutdown and any other time the speed rapidly changes.
2. The XPR component's sound sometimes stopping and starting every few seconds. I've had to resort to running in Silent mode for 1080p content.
3. Half blacked-out screen or wonky colors on ~1/5 boots, necessitating a reboot.
4. Noise and flicker from the Dynamic Iris.

I'm doubtful on the last two, but I'm fine waiting for a firmware update for them if I can get the first two fixed.

Other than these I still love the projector. I can't check the hours on the lamp but I've had it for almost exactly 1 month and I'd bet it's at 150-180 hours.
I've only had it powered on for an hour, but so far none of these issues I had with my original unit are present on the replacement. I guess time will tell, though.
post #3193 of 3935 Old 05-17-2019, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
I've only had it powered on for an hour, but so far none of these issues I had with my original unit are present on the replacement. I guess time will tell, though.
I'm interested in how flickering is with Dynamic Iris enabled. What is your firmware version now?
post #3194 of 3935 Old 05-17-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltron View Post
I'm interested in how flickering is with Dynamic Iris enabled. What is your firmware version now?
Still 1.0.0.
post #3195 of 3935 Old 05-17-2019, 06:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 777 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bachelor View Post
For those looking for a hdmi 4k 60p cable may want to consider one from sewell direct. They are also available on Amazon. I'm using some with no issues. Scottyroo also has them in his setup. This is a budget cable compared to the fiber ones.

https://sewelldirect.com/premium-4k-hdmi-cable-30-ft-

Remember to get some shorter ones for components to receiver.
Ordered one as I am sure that my old HDMI was purchased at least 5 years ago...Thanks for the share.

My Media Room
AVR 1-Yamaha RX-A3050 (7.2.4), AVR 2 Pioneer VSX-815-K(Used for 4ch Amp TF+TR)
Mains-Polk Audio RTi8, Center-Polk Audio CSi5, Surrounds-Polk Audio RTi4, Ceilings-Micca M-8C, Sub 1- UM18-22 (4cu.ft DIY) - iNuke 6000DSP Sub 2-Klipsch RW12D,
Projector-Looking, Screen-Da-Lite 100" Model B, TV-Vizio P-65 4K
post #3196 of 3935 Old 05-17-2019, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 777 Post(s)
Liked: 385
I thought I ordered a 3550 from BenQ Direct but maybe I am tripping?

https://www.benqdirect.com/ht3550.html

Sale has been saying pending for 3 days now. I guess I'll call them Monday.

My Media Room
AVR 1-Yamaha RX-A3050 (7.2.4), AVR 2 Pioneer VSX-815-K(Used for 4ch Amp TF+TR)
Mains-Polk Audio RTi8, Center-Polk Audio CSi5, Surrounds-Polk Audio RTi4, Ceilings-Micca M-8C, Sub 1- UM18-22 (4cu.ft DIY) - iNuke 6000DSP Sub 2-Klipsch RW12D,
Projector-Looking, Screen-Da-Lite 100" Model B, TV-Vizio P-65 4K
post #3197 of 3935 Old 05-17-2019, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Still 1.0.0.
Can you share also the manufactured data and revision (both in the box)

Thanks
post #3198 of 3935 Old 05-18-2019, 12:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 257
post #3199 of 3935 Old 05-18-2019, 06:14 AM

Liked: 0
Unhappy did I get a broken piece

So I received mine 2 days ago. Here's the weird bit... Even though I've set up the projection to "Front Ceiling" - every time I shut it down and start it again, it starts up inverted. I've gotta manually set it back to "Front Ceiling".

So I had the 1070 prior to this and it was picture perfect alignment... Since my upgrade, the screen is skewed. I've tried everything with alignment and keystone settings ... but damn! Just can't seem to get perfect alignment between the 4 corners
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0313.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	2568146  
post #3200 of 3935 Old 05-18-2019, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
Nice review, thanks for sharing!
post #3201 of 3935 Old 05-18-2019, 06:28 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I also received mine 2 days ago and I have the same problem. Mine also have a weird issue that sometimes I turn It on and it do not show any picture... Turn back off and on again and it works.
I called and they asked me to send back to fix. Argh
post #3202 of 3935 Old 05-18-2019, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yking90 View Post
So I received mine 2 days ago. Here's the weird bit... Even though I've set up the projection to "Front Ceiling" - every time I shut it down and start it again, it starts up inverted. I've gotta manually set it back to "Front Ceiling".

So I had the 1070 prior to this and it was picture perfect alignment... Since my upgrade, the screen is skewed. I've tried everything with alignment and keystone settings ... but damn! Just can't seem to get perfect alignment between the 4 corners
I was having the same alignment issue after my upgrade and I fixed it dropping the mount a little more from the ceiling to be able to use 0 Keystone
post #3203 of 3935 Old 05-18-2019, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinicius Watson View Post
I was having the same alignment issue after my upgrade and I fixed it dropping the mount a little more from the ceiling to be able to use 0 Keystone
But it appears I have an issue with Horizontal skewing
post #3204 of 3935 Old 05-18-2019, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinicius Watson View Post
I also received mine 2 days ago and I have the same problem. Mine also have a weird issue that sometimes I turn It on and it do not show any picture... Turn back off and on again and it works.
I called and they asked me to send back to fix. Argh
Some are reporting a similar issue - hopefully it'll get fixed by the next firmware
post #3205 of 3935 Old 05-18-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Can you share also the manufactured data and revision (both in the box)

Thanks
New one: April 2019, Rev 01-101
Old one: April 2019, Rev 01-100

I used it a crapton last night and a bit more this morning and it's still perfect, at least in terms of not having any bugs or defects like my last one. But the whites are noticeably more blue than my last one, out of the box, so I'll have to try and adjust that some.
ng4ever likes this.
post #3206 of 3935 Old 05-18-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
New one: April 2019, Rev 01-101
Old one: April 2019, Rev 01-100

I used it a crapton last night and a bit more this morning and it's still perfect, at least in terms of not having any bugs or defects like my last one. But the whites are noticeably more blue than my last one, out of the box, so I'll have to try and adjust that some.
Thanks, mine is like your first one, so far I am not having major issues and a good image, certainly much better than the w1085st, but I makes me worry that I am not getting the good revision, I will check what return options I have ...
post #3207 of 3935 Old 05-18-2019, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I ordered a 3550 in from benq direct in early May, believing I would get an April unit. I still got a February unit and it put out about as much light as a tea candle. I put my Motorola instashare projector (50 lumens) on top of the benq and it put out significantly more light. Waiting on my replacement now.
post #3208 of 3935 Old 05-18-2019, 09:36 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
How do check your revision?

Also I didn’t get a color calibration paper

post #3209 of 3935 Old 05-18-2019, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delumine View Post
How do check your revision?

Also I didn’t get a color calibration paper

Revision in on a label in the cardboard box next to manufactured date.
post #3210 of 3935 Old 05-18-2019, 10:36 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread

Quote:
Revision in on a label in the cardboard box next to manufactured date.

Revision 01-101 here with an April Manufacturing date

Pretty perfect projector save for the half-screen software issue that happens if you tinker settings

A firmware upgrade and I’ll be golden, it’s good we can update with USB

Last edited by Delumine; 05-19-2019 at 01:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page