BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread - Page 108 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2533Likes

post #3211 of 4449 Old 05-19-2019, 07:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
This morning my projector don't even turn on anymore. Already tried 10 cycles off/on and no picture shows up. Going to send back Monday u.u
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3212 of 4449 Old 05-19-2019, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Anyone using the projector with a 4K APTV (first gen)? Can you play HDR or 4K content from Netflix etc? I am using a new 4K cable.

Thx
post #3213 of 4449 Old 05-19-2019, 05:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 25
So this has been mentioned a few times in this thread in that an updated version of the HT3550 will be released later this year? If so, then would it be worth just holding out and returning the HT3550 that I currently have on the way? I would really hate to have buyers remorse so soon especially if the replacement model is the same price and is the better model.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3214 of 4449 Old 05-19-2019, 09:28 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by xealo View Post
So this has been mentioned a few times in this thread in that an updated version of the HT3550 will be released later this year? If so, then would it be worth just holding out and returning the HT3550 that I currently have on the way? I would really hate to have buyers remorse so soon especially if the replacement model is the same price and is the better model.
No successor version of this projector is (publicly) known. You may be referring to widely held assumptions that there will be a RGBW version of this (RGB only) projector within the coming year that will have many/most of the same features, only it will trade off reduced color accuracy in exchange for extra brightness.

The analogy is: the TK800 (RGBW) vs the HT2550 (RGB).

So are you asking 'when will there be a successor to the TK800 that is "based off of" the HT3550'?

Short answer: unknown.

Make no mistake, any TK800x is very different from an HTxxxx. If you often watch in total darkness, the HT models can attain much better performance. If you *always* watch in high ambient light, you need the TK models. If you do a mix, you need to rely on your own good judgment. That debate is endless.

But if you are asking will there be a HT3550A (the same way they updated the HT2050 with the slightly improved HT2050A the following year), then, no, these things tend to happen on a regular schedule and it's pretty early in the calendar for an announcement like that.

The situation with the HT3550 is coming into focus now and the fundamentals of the value proposition are unlikely to change before the next product cycle. Make your decisions accordingly.

Last edited by NxNW; 05-19-2019 at 09:38 PM.
post #3215 of 4449 Old 05-19-2019, 10:36 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinicius Watson View Post
This morning my projector don't even turn on anymore. Already tried 10 cycles off/on and no picture shows up. Going to send back Monday u.u

Same problem for me : everything was running quite well during 5 days, and on Friday evening it was impossible to turn it on.
- projector in standby mode ( fixed orange Power led)
- then ON button : flashing green Power led then fixed : no fans, no light coming out !! (Lamp and Temp leds are off)

I tried several times to unplug the power cord and turn the projector on : no way !
I'll send it back today
post #3216 of 4449 Old 05-20-2019, 01:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 907 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by yking90 View Post
So I had the 1070 prior to this and it was picture perfect alignment... Since my upgrade, the screen is skewed. I've tried everything with alignment and keystone settings ... but damn! Just can't seem to get perfect alignment between the 4 corners

Doesn't look like a projector issue to me but rather seems to indicate a problem with the position of your ceiling mount OR your screen.

Although I don't know the position of the projection lens in relation to the ceiling mount center between your 1070 and the HT3550 I'd turn the HT 3550 until you arrive a parallel sides and top and bottom (keystone settings preferrably off).

By the amount the correct image has shifted horizontally out of your screen, you'd then know how much you'd either need to reposition your ceiling mount OR projection screen.

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde
post #3217 of 4449 Old 05-20-2019, 06:22 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Rarely, my Benq W5000 will not turn on but the green light continues to blink. I will unplug and then replug holding the power button at the same time for several/many seconds to allow for a reset. Something recycles and the unit will start. Occ. it takes few times but has always restarted. I have suspected there are sensors on the lamp fan and others that need to send info back for the unit to power up. Not really sure of the cause but so far the unit works well otherwise. Another possibility is a bad or blown lamp. Recently had a bad lamp where the unit would power on and within seconds power off. I would agree send back not knowing cause.
post #3218 of 4449 Old 05-20-2019, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NxNW View Post
No successor version of this projector is (publicly) known. You may be referring to widely held assumptions that there will be a RGBW version of this (RGB only) projector within the coming year that will have many/most of the same features, only it will trade off reduced color accuracy in exchange for extra brightness.

The analogy is: the TK800 (RGBW) vs the HT2550 (RGB).

So are you asking 'when will there be a successor to the TK800 that is "based off of" the HT3550'?

Short answer: unknown.

Make no mistake, any TK800x is very different from an HTxxxx. If you often watch in total darkness, the HT models can attain much better performance. If you *always* watch in high ambient light, you need the TK models. If you do a mix, you need to rely on your own good judgment. That debate is endless.

But if you are asking will there be a HT3550A (the same way they updated the HT2050 with the slightly improved HT2050A the following year), then, no, these things tend to happen on a regular schedule and it's pretty early in the calendar for an announcement like that.

The situation with the HT3550 is coming into focus now and the fundamentals of the value proposition are unlikely to change before the next product cycle. Make your decisions accordingly.
Thanks for the valuable info. I always watch in a light controlled room, even during the day as there is only 1 window and I have the ability to draw blackout shades. I currently own an HT2050 and have been extremely happy with it. From what I've been able to quickly find, it appears that in Cinema mode, the brightness between the two is about 200 lumens apart, 2050 being the brighter of the two. With that being said, do you think the HT3550 will make up for lower brightness with it being superior in pretty much every other way(I know, kind of rhetorical, but still)?
post #3219 of 4449 Old 05-20-2019, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensyed View Post
Anyone using the projector with a 4K APTV (first gen)? Can you play HDR or 4K content from Netflix etc? I am using a new 4K cable.

Thx
I was under the impression that there has only been 1 generation of 4k APTV, but overall it's the 5th actually. I have the 4k APTV and will be testing it come Thursday(my HT3550 comes in then).
post #3220 of 4449 Old 05-20-2019, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensyed View Post

Thx
I am using the latest Apple TV 4K and it 4K/HDR content displays perfectly from both Netflix and my own library via Infuse.

My understanding was that the current gen (Apple TV 5) is the only one that outputs 4K, so if you have an Apple TV 4, you won't be able to do it. I'm sure someone else will be able to confirm.

There does seem to be a remote control bug with the Apple TV and the W2700/3550. If you open the projector menu and then close it, any command pressed on the Apple TV remote will toggle the BenQ menu on and off! If you turn the projector on and DON'T access it's menu this doesn't happen.

It's not a big problem and will hopefully be fixed in firmware.

Last edited by daveb975; 05-20-2019 at 07:37 AM.
post #3221 of 4449 Old 05-20-2019, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinicius Watson View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jld071 View Post
Same problem for me : everything was running quite well during 5 days, and on Friday evening it was impossible to turn it on.
- projector in standby mode ( fixed orange Power led)
- then ON button : flashing green Power led then fixed : no fans, no light coming out !! (Lamp and Temp leds are off)

I tried several times to unplug the power cord and turn the projector on : no way !
I'll send it back today
Shot in the dark but I know on my W1070 if the lamp wasn't seated properly or the cover/cover screw for accessing the lamp wasn't tightened properly it would not power up for me.

Beer Massif/ve Beers :: U.S. based windbag who won't shut up about beer :: Lord Commander of the Beer Massif Podcast ::youtube.com/massivebeers
BenQ W1070 | 100" Dalite Fixed Screen
Onkyo NR-676 | BIC America: DV64 Towers : DV62CLR-S Center : DV62si Surrounds : V1020 Sub
Intel 2600k at 4.6GHZ w/ Asus GTX1070 | Playstation 4 | Playstation 3
post #3222 of 4449 Old 05-20-2019, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Ordered a HT3550 from Best Buy, they price matched Amazon to get the right pricing. Qualified for 24 months 0%, why not take that.

I'll update once I get it and can review it. Coming form a 1080P viewsonic.
post #3223 of 4449 Old 05-20-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocOrange88 View Post
Ordered a HT3550 from Best Buy, they price matched Amazon to get the right pricing. Qualified for 24 months 0%, why not take that.

Exactly what I did. Mine will be here Thursday.
post #3224 of 4449 Old 05-20-2019, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Exactly what I did. Mine will be here Thursday.
When did you guys place an order? They've been sold out online for the past week now.
post #3225 of 4449 Old 05-20-2019, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Thanks for the valuable info. I always watch in a light controlled room, even during the day as there is only 1 window and I have the ability to draw blackout shades. I currently own an HT2050 and have been extremely happy with it. From what I've been able to quickly find, it appears that in Cinema mode, the brightness between the two is about 200 lumens apart, 2050 being the brighter of the two. With that being said, do you think the HT3550 will make up for lower brightness with it being superior in pretty much every other way(I know, kind of rhetorical, but still)?
Sage did a thorough investigation of this topic and reported his findings here.

That post includes tons of side by side screen captures.

Yes the 2050 is slightly brighter in terms of raw power, but sage notes the HT3550 can go darker which actually gives it better contrast, and contrast rules.

Trying to quantify the brightness difference is a little difficult, but my understanding is the human visual perception of the difference between a 2200 lumen projector and a 2000 lumen projector is not a simple 10% but more like only 5%. But those are manufacturer-reported numbers and really only apply to that crazy green "bright" mode that no one uses.

In calibrated modes, you might see a greater *proportional* difference in lumens, say 20% arithmetically / 10% perceptually.

Kraine has done a lot of testing on just the HT3550. You don't need to speak French to be able to get the gist of the second table (disregard the first table) full of data shown here . Example: he calculates 1345 lumens in Cinema mode at standard lamp power.

Unfortunately you can't really compare the "lumens" from one review to another. There are just too many variables. So it's not helpful to note that referencehometheater says the HT2050 runs at about 1655 lumens in cinema mode and projectorcentral says the "brightest" cinema mode on the HT2050 is 1688. (Strangely they also noted the "preset" cinema mode only gives 1255 lumens at full power which makes you really wonder what their methodology is that can give 400 more lumens in the same mode while still being "very balanced for good video" whatever that means).

Lumens can't be directly measured, and calculating them is as much an art as a science. None of these three reviewers is using the same method and you can't really compare.

So until we get someone who actually *measured* the light output of a HT2050 and HT3550 in the same testing environment, sage's screen shots and personal observations are the best we have to go by.

tldr : HT2050 is technically brighter, but HT3550 gives the better picture in every meaningful way.
sage11x likes this.
post #3226 of 4449 Old 05-20-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NxNW View Post
Sage did a thorough investigation of this topic and reported his findings here.

That post includes tons of side by side screen captures.

Yes the 2050 is slightly brighter in terms of raw power, but sage notes the HT3550 can go darker which actually gives it better contrast, and contrast rules.

Trying to quantify the brightness difference is a little difficult, but my understanding is the human visual perception of the difference between a 2200 lumen projector and a 2000 lumen projector is not a simple 10% but more like only 5%. But those are manufacturer-reported numbers and really only apply to that crazy green "bright" mode that no one uses.

In calibrated modes, you might see a greater *proportional* difference in lumens, say 20% arithmetically / 10% perceptually.

Kraine has done a lot of testing on just the HT3550. You don't need to speak French to be able to get the gist of the second table (disregard the first table) full of data shown here . Example: he calculates 1345 lumens in Cinema mode at standard lamp power.

Unfortunately you can't really compare the "lumens" from one review to another. There are just too many variables. So it's not helpful to note that referencehometheater says the HT2050 runs at about 1655 lumens in cinema mode and projectorcentral says the "brightest" cinema mode on the HT2050 is 1688. (Strangely they also noted the "preset" cinema mode only gives 1255 lumens at full power which makes you really wonder what their methodology is that can give 400 more lumens in the same mode while still being "very balanced for good video" whatever that means).

Lumens can't be directly measured, and calculating them is as much an art as a science. None of these three reviewers is using the same method and you can't really compare.

So until we get someone who actually *measured* the light output of a HT2050 and HT3550 in the same testing environment, sage's screen shots and personal observations are the best we have to go by.

tldr : HT2050 is technically brighter, but HT3550 gives the better picture in every meaningful way.

Thanks for the great info there. I took my time and looked through Sage's review and it pretty much settled my hesitation. The final decider will be an in-person account when I get mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctalbot View Post
When did you guys place an order? They've been sold out online for the past week now.
I placed mine on on the 15th - last Wednesday. Amazon had 6 in stock and so did BB. I wanted to take advantage of the of the 24 months no interest financing so I went with BB w/a PM. I did notice that it's coming directly from BenQ. That tells me that vendor orders are probably being fulfilled by BenQ themselves to cut out the wait times. Also tells me that stocks are pretty low too.
sage11x likes this.

Last edited by xealo; 05-20-2019 at 10:35 AM.
post #3227 of 4449 Old 05-20-2019, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocOrange88 View Post

When did you order? Been trying to find it in stock outside of BenQ Direct.

My Media Room
AVR 1-Yamaha RX-A3050 (7.2.4), AVR 2 Pioneer VSX-815-K(Used for 4ch Amp TF+TR)
Mains-Polk Audio RTi8, Center-Polk Audio CSi5, Surrounds-Polk Audio RTi4, Ceilings-Micca M-8C, Sub 1- UM18-22 (4cu.ft DIY) - iNuke 6000DSP Sub 2-Klipsch RW12D,
Projector-Looking, Screen-Da-Lite 100" Model B, TV-Vizio P-65 4K
post #3228 of 4449 Old 05-20-2019, 11:10 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb975 View Post
I am using the latest Apple TV 4K and it 4K/HDR content displays perfectly from both Netflix and my own library via Infuse.

My understanding was that the current gen (Apple TV 5) is the only one that outputs 4K, so if you have an Apple TV 4, you won't be able to do it. I'm sure someone else will be able to confirm.

There does seem to be a remote control bug with the Apple TV and the W2700/3550. If you open the projector menu and then close it, any command pressed on the Apple TV remote will toggle the BenQ menu on and off! If you turn the projector on and DON'T access it's menu this doesn't happen.

I've never seen that with my ATV 4k and HT3550.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #3229 of 4449 Old 05-20-2019, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb975 View Post

I don't know about the older Apple TV's after updates (gave all of mine away) but the new 4K model can be set to output HDR in 1080p and other resolutions. I personally haven't tried it but they were available options for my display in the advanced settings.

About the Apple TV remote and projector menu. I've had it happen with my Optoma UHD51A also. I hardly ever go into the projector settings anymore but early on when I did use the Apple TV "remote" (I use a Logitech Elite to control the Apple 4K TV but it outputs the same) it would do as you said. I use the Apple 4K TV 'remote' all the time without issue now because as I stated, I never use or go into the projector menus anymore. You are the first I've personally seen mention this, thank you.

I'm still holding off of the HT3550 until a successful firmware release makes everyone happy in this thread. I did the same for the HT2550 when it released with issues. Ended up getting the Optoma UHD51A for 3D after waiting too long. No Light Border on these new 0.47 DMD's is enough for me to upgrade.

Display: Optoma UHD51A Projector > Elite Screens R135WH1 ezFrame | 7.2.4 Audio: Onkyo TX-RZ920 9.2ch Network A/V Receiver, M-5010 2ch Amplifier; Definitive Technology ProCenter 2000, ProMonitor 1000(x10), SuperCube I & 4000 | Sources: PC, DirecTV, Apple 4K, Fire Stick 4K, Oppo UDP-203, Chromecast & Roku Ultras, Xbox One X, PlayStation 4 Pro & Nintendo Switch | Remote: Harmony Elite | HDMI: 40' Monoprice DynamicView+4x1 Switch
post #3230 of 4449 Old 05-20-2019, 12:31 PM

While I'm waiting to receive mine, this thought came across my mind: Will I need to upgrade my 10.2Gbps cables to the latest standard in order to view [email protected]? I have a 4k HDR10 compliant receiver as well as a 4K APTV. So I know that all the hardware in the chain is g2g, however, I want to make sure I'm ready to at least view video content(don't need 4k60FPS as I only have a standard PS4). It is my understanding that the current spec cabling allows for much higher bandwidth, but that the cabling itself is a pipe and nothing more 10.2Gbps cables should be able to still pass through at least 4k 24fps?

ETA: The longest run is between my PJ and receiver, is about 20 feet.
post #3231 of 4449 Old 05-20-2019, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've searched this thread, but somehow "3d" returned no results.
Just curious what would be a good 4K 3D bluray player to pair with this?
Not looking for top of the line, just a good value for money player, to match this projector's value for money.
I currently have a Sony BDPS6500 3D 4K Upscaling Blu-ray Player, but would want to upgrade to full 4k.
Thanks!
post #3232 of 4449 Old 05-20-2019, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyt View Post
I've searched this thread, but somehow "3d" returned no results.
Just curious what would be a good 4K 3D bluray player to pair with this?
Not looking for top of the line, just a good value for money player, to match this projector's value for money.
I currently have a Sony BDPS6500 3D 4K Upscaling Blu-ray Player, but would want to upgrade to full 4k.
Thanks!
I like my budget LG UBK90... does what it needs to and has 3D ability. 4k loks great as well.
post #3233 of 4449 Old 05-20-2019, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any good 3D glasses recommendation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3234 of 4449 Old 05-20-2019, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 63
BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread

I got these on eBay, arrived in a week and a half. 2 hours on them, no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3235 of 4449 Old 05-20-2019, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctalbot View Post
I went into the store and the store manager was able to place a order for it. He said it would come in with their next big shipment so I'd get mine on the 31st most likely.
post #3236 of 4449 Old 05-20-2019, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rontalley View Post
When did you order? Been trying to find it in stock outside of BenQ Direct.
I ordered it yesterday at a Best Buy store.
post #3237 of 4449 Old 05-20-2019, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 157
I use the ZF300 RF glasses with this unit from a little RF box and it works so well. 3D in this unit is way better than TK800 and is clear and clean. Very nice picture.

Sent from my MI MAX 3 using Tapatalk
post #3238 of 4449 Old 05-20-2019, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhornsk57 View Post
I use the ZF300 RF glasses with this unit from a little RF box and it works so well. 3D in this unit is way better than TK800 and is clear and clean. Very nice picture.

How are you using radio frequency 3D glasses with this projector? Please explain.
Frank714 likes this.
post #3239 of 4449 Old 05-20-2019, 09:37 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurecode View Post
Shot in the dark but I know on my W1070 if the lamp wasn't seated properly or the cover/cover screw for accessing the lamp wasn't tightened properly it would not power up for me.

as this unit was freshly delivered and the return policies very strict where I live, I didn't want to open it (even a small scratch can be a problem !) and decided to return it ,but good idea for the next troubleshooting futurcode

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstek View Post
Rarely, my Benq W5000 will not turn on but the green light continues to blink. I will unplug and then replug holding the power button at the same time for several/many seconds to allow for a reset. Something recycles and the unit will start. Occ. it takes few times but has always restarted. I have suspected there are sensors on the lamp fan and others that need to send info back for the unit to power up. Not really sure of the cause but so far the unit works well otherwise. Another possibility is a bad or blown lamp. Recently had a bad lamp where the unit would power on and within seconds power off. I would agree send back not knowing cause.

I did also try some unplug / replug while holding the power button but no success with this one ! thanks lstek
post #3240 of 4449 Old 05-20-2019, 10:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaka2 View Post
How are you using radio frequency 3D glasses with this projector? Please explain.
I have a box that aims at the screen, and takes in DLP Link signals and outputs to my RF emitter.

Works like a dream and never once loses sync even if I look down or go to another room, because the box is perfect position and never loses sync.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page