BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread - Page 109 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2691Likes

post #3241 of 4726 Old 05-21-2019, 12:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhornsk57 View Post
I have a box that aims at the screen, and takes in DLP Link signals and outputs to my RF emitter.

Need...that...box! Please tell us the manufacturer and if possible where to get it from.

As I've plenty of RF glasses I really don't intend to replace them with DLP Link glasses, sounds like a great solution you got there.

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3242 of 4726 Old 05-21-2019, 03:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2L84U View Post
I've only had it powered on for an hour, but so far none of these issues I had with my original unit are present on the replacement. I guess time will tell, though.

Great news to hear that the unit is better, but I am a bit concerned that they seem to be releasing hardware revisions to fix these bugs rather than firmware updates as I had hoped.

I have got a revision 01-100 (March build), and it didn’t suffer from most of the problems your original unit had, but does still have:

1. The half screen bug on start-up (sorts itself out and doesn’t require reset)
2. Some noise and flickering from the DI (doesn’t sound as bad as some, but it is definitely there)

Has your new model definitely not got either of these issues even on firmware 1.0.0?
post #3243 of 4726 Old 05-21-2019, 04:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by xealo View Post
I was under the impression that there has only been 1 generation of 4k APTV, but overall it's the 5th actually. I have the 4k APTV and will be testing it come Thursday(my HT3550 comes in then).
Thank you!
You are right. It’s not 4K. I just thought so bc it looks the same as my other one which is connected to my tv.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3244 of 4726 Old 05-21-2019, 04:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb975 View Post
Great news to hear that the unit is better, but I am a bit concerned that they seem to be releasing hardware revisions to fix these bugs rather than firmware updates as I had hoped.

I have got a revision 01-100 (March build), and it didn’t suffer from most of the problems your original unit had, but does still have:

1. The half screen bug on start-up (sorts itself out and doesn’t require reset)
2. Some noise and flickering from the DI (doesn’t sound as bad as some, but it is definitely there)

Has your new model definitely not got either of these issues even on firmware 1.0.0?
So far, on the new unit, I've not had any startup problems at all (half screen, rainbow colors, etc.) But the DI flickering has started happening, or maybe it was always happening and it just wasn't immediately as noticeable as it was on my original unit. There's no noise from it, though, whereas there was definitely a noise on my original. I just turn off DI and leave it like that.

It's also started doing the thing where the noise from the XPR component stops and starts, as of last night. My first unit did that all the time and it drove me nuts. This one only rarely does it but I'm concerned it'll get worse. I'm also confused as to why nobody else in this thread has mentioned it but I've had it on two separate units. Maybe I have supersonic hearing.

Fingers crossed for a firmware update for these two things, I guess.

Last edited by 2L84U; 05-21-2019 at 05:03 AM.
post #3245 of 4726 Old 05-21-2019, 05:09 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
I have a box that aims at the screen, and takes in DLP Link signals and outputs to my RF emitter.

Works like a dream and never once loses sync even if I look down or go to another room, because the box is perfect position and never loses sync.

Sent from my MI MAX 3 using Tapatalk

Can you please provide more details? This is my first consumer 3D Product (at least for Media) that I've purchased, and wanted to get really good 3D. The glasses you linked are well-reviewed, and I wanted to purchase them too. But how does the Box work, and which box is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delumine View Post
Ok, so I’m finally set on the settings I’m going to be using going forward:

I’m using the settings from here: http://avnewbie.com save for the motion enhancer setting, and the disabling of brilliant color.

I use the Cinema Mode with the above Settings for SDR, set the color enhancer to 5 to provide a nice boost, and also enable brilliant color which does make a difference in this mode.

4K/1080P/SDR content looks great, and vibrant. It’s perfect for watching TV shows and movies.

As for the HDR content, I juggled SO MANY times between the different modes, HDR brightness, temperature, WCG Toggle, Brilliant color, and such.

After watching multiple Lossless 4K HDR content (Aquaman, Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets, Spider-Verse, Overlord) and some titles on Netflix (Stranger Things Season 2) with friends and family we came to the conclusion that these are the best settings:

Above URL Color Settings and:

WCG: ON
Brilliant Color: OFF (It pretty much casts a yellow filter over everything)
Color temperature: Normal
Gamma: 2.4

Your eyes will try to convince you that with WCG on, the colors look dull when directly cycling through On/OFF, but the truth is that WCG produces more realistic colors, and once you adjust you have a superb accurate picture that isn’t exaggerated. It produces beautiful skin tones, water, and colors that don’t scream fake.

The only Wildcard is the HDR level, and how it can really affect the mood for certain movies.

Valerian: +1-2 works well
Spider-Verse: +1-2
Overlord: +0-1
Stranger Things: 0
AquaMan: 0 (+1-2) is way too bright and makes the movie look blurry

YMMV: I have my projector the closest I possibly can in accordance with the calculator, projected onto an 84” Motorized Screen, so I benefit from a lot of Lumens already.

The point is that the only setting you should really be adjusting for HDR is the light level. Otherwise the above settings are pretty much set-and-forget.

The only thing I’m unsure of is the Pixel Enhancer Setting: I have it set to 5, but was wondering if there was a better setting.

Extra Information:

Bugs: Half-Screen phenomenon, and Brilliant Color turning itself on sometimes; fix by toggling brilliant color on and off

Media Players Performance:

* Apple TV 4K UI will look kinda ****ty since it’s rendered in 4K, and well the WCG will make the UI itself look strange until you actually play a beautiful HDR movie.

* Apple TV 4K can output 4:2:2 10BIT

* Nvidia Shield UI is rendered in SDR, so it looks more aesthetically pleasing since it leverages the cinema mode for vibrant UI colors, beta-Color switching allows you to watch your HDR content in WCG with no problems, oh and I can play my Atmos content with my Shield

* Nvidia Shield can output 4:2:2 12BIT REC 2020

For now it seems like I’ll be using my Nvidia Shield more, but if you’re considering upgrading to this projector, I’d highly recommend it.

I had the ACER H7850 Prior to this one, and while it has a respectable 4K Image, and pretty good colors. It’s riddled with bugs, not user-updatable, requires the manual enabling of HDR, and has worse tone mapping, light levels, and black levels.

I did a comparison by loading one of the first scenes of Overlord in 4K HDR when he rises from the water from the parachute and walks towards the camera as the campfire is to his left.

For the ACER, there’s only so much you can do, and it’s not that black, just dark. The BenQ not only produces vastly blacker scenes, but can even provide more colors and light detail through its tone-mapping. Hell I thought something was wrong initially because I had HDR set to +2 and it didn’t look like night time, but too bright and colorful.

That’s why it’s important to set a good level for the type of movie, and allow your eyes to adjust to the WCG.

Also, if you haven't opted for the WCG Filter, please try the above settings. A good test for how beautiful, and natural it looks is using the above settings with Stranger Things Season 2. You can try it in the Arcade Scene
Spoiler!
, and you'll see the beautiful color and contrast. HDR set to 0
post #3246 of 4726 Old 05-21-2019, 06:09 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Will I need new cables for a run of 25-30 feet between my pj and receiver in order to output 4k @ 24fps? They are 10.2Gbps copper HDMI cables. Thanks.
post #3247 of 4726 Old 05-21-2019, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by xealo View Post
Will I need new cables for a run of 25-30 feet between my pj and receiver in order to output 4k @ 24fps? They are 10.2Gbps copper HDMI cables. Thanks.
I just picked up this fiber HDMI cable for my 25ft run. It's rated for in wall use. I couldn't find a non-fiber cable that reliably claimed 4K 60FPS HDR/18gbps for >25ft so wanted to play it safe: https://www.amazon.com/DTECH-Fiber-O...076SX7WXX?th=1

There is a cheaper one but not rated for in wall use. https://www.amazon.com/ATZEBE-Fiber-...ell-spons&th=1

Lon gave a positive review of the 100ft model earlier this year:

Last edited by ctalbot; 05-21-2019 at 10:52 AM.
post #3248 of 4726 Old 05-21-2019, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctalbot View Post
I just picked up this fiber HDMI cable for my 25ft run. It's rated for in wall use. I couldn't find a non-fiber cable that claimed 18gbps for >25ft so wanted to play it safe: https://www.amazon.com/DTECH-Fiber-O...076SX7WXX?th=1

There is a cheaper one but not rated for in wall use. https://www.amazon.com/ATZEBE-Fiber-...ell-spons&th=1

Lon gave it a positive review of the 100ft model earlier this year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LdjPvP801U
I actually watched that video. I’d never considered that HDMI-over-fiber cables add latency. Specifically 20 ms for the one in the review.

This projector (like any TI DLP projector capable of CFI) already struggles with that. Gamers beware.
post #3249 of 4726 Old 05-21-2019, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
finally received mine, i like it a lot, tried a TK800 but this one's quality is a huge difference (I find it even sharper, brightness is the same, HDR is huge difference, what was completely white (or whipedout) on TK800 is fully visible on the W2700 (clouds etc) . Only problem I have atm is the chromatic **** . See attachments ... I think this is a lot , no?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190521_202343.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	230.4 KB
ID:	2569744   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190521_202335.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	2569746  
post #3250 of 4726 Old 05-21-2019, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by russdornisch View Post
I like my budget LG UBK90... does what it needs to and has 3D ability. 4k loks great as well.
Thanks for the info. Looks decent. Best Buy has a deal that lets you add 3 select 4K movies in for free, right now.
post #3251 of 4726 Old 05-21-2019, 02:19 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yves Claeys View Post
finally received mine, i like it a lot, tried a TK800 but this one's quality is a huge difference (I find it even sharper, brightness is the same, HDR is huge difference, what was completely white (or whipedout) on TK800 is fully visible on the W2700 (clouds etc) . Only problem I have atm is the chromatic **** . See attachments ... I think this is a lot , no?

CA level is absolutely crazy on these photos!!!! Is this 'normal' for this model? Can any other owner take similar pictures?
post #3252 of 4726 Old 05-21-2019, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by vombat View Post
CA level is absolutely crazy on these photos!!!! Is this 'normal' for this model? Can any other owner take similar pictures?
Below are pictures from mine - hw: 01-101 manufactured: april 2019

Can somebody more knowledgeable confirm whether this is bad and in need of replacement or expected? I don't really see it from 14ft away on a 135in screen when watching anything, but bringing up a test pattern it's noticeably blurrier around the edges of the screen, probably due to this aberration. Up close it's very visible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ca_top_left.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	379.4 KB
ID:	2569848   Click image for larger version

Name:	ca_bottom_right.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	449.3 KB
ID:	2569850   Click image for larger version

Name:	ca_center.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	573.2 KB
ID:	2569852  

Last edited by glebonator; 05-21-2019 at 03:05 PM.
post #3253 of 4726 Old 05-21-2019, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
I am using the latest Apple TV 4K and it 4K/HDR content displays perfectly from both Netflix and my own library via Infuse.

My understanding was that the current gen (Apple TV 5) is the only one that outputs 4K, so if you have an Apple TV 4, you won't be able to do it. I'm sure someone else will be able to confirm.

There does seem to be a remote control bug with the Apple TV and the W2700/3550. If you open the projector menu and then close it, any command pressed on the Apple TV remote will toggle the BenQ menu on and off! If you turn the projector on and DON'T access it's menu this doesn't happen.

It's not a big problem and will hopefully be fixed in firmware.

I've learned through trial and error that if you use the back button to leave the projector menu the Apple TV remote won't bring back the projector menu. It's extremely weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3254 of 4726 Old 05-21-2019, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Received mine (Rev 01-101) from BenQ Direct yesterday, Monday May 20. Ordered Sunday, May 12 online, it shipped Monday May 13 (west coast), arrived at my local Fedex Ground station (east coast) Friday morning May 17, but apparently too late to make the Friday truck.

A direct ceiling mount swap-out with my current HT1075 projecting on a 120" Elite Screens screen.

Initially hooked up to the current HT1075 HDMI cabling consisting of a 5 year old 25' fat type CL-2, 26 AWG Monoprice and a 3' 2.0b HDMI extension cable (yes, I needed the extra 3' to make it to my Onkyo receiver along the wall). The first tests were with my XBox One X and XBox 360 for easy video testing.

The first boot was with the current cabling, the One X resulted in no signal, the 360 worked fine.

I then removed the 3' extension and ran the 25' cable across the floor to the Onkyo. The One X showed up fine on boot and tested fine on the 4k video tests (to my surprise). I then popped in the John Wick Chapter 2 UHD. As soon as I opted for the movie to play, the screen went blue and to no signal. I was ready for that result as I had ordered a 40' Ruipro fiber optic cable from Amazon on Monday. My further tests with the Ruipro cable were fault-free.

The fan on the 3550 is a bit louder sustained than the 1075's. The 1075's fan would boot up loud, then gradually reduce to a whisper. The 3550 boots as loud the 1075 boots but seems to maintain that level with some brief, split second, up throttling after warm-up.

We watched John Wick Chapter 2 last night, which looked great with out-of-the box settings. I fiddled with some settings while watching. I think I saw the iris flash only a couple of times in darker scenes. The fan may have gotten quieter towards the end, but that could have been my ears after all of the gun fire. Will fiddle with it further tonight.
post #3255 of 4726 Old 05-21-2019, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Does benqdirect charge sales tax? I noticed they have a couple in stock and upon checkout there's zero tax (to IL). Any reason not to order from them? I was thinking of ordering from Amazon or BestBuy as you have the option to purchase an extended warranty. This is my first projector so not sure if it's necessary given the 3 year warranty.
post #3256 of 4726 Old 05-21-2019, 05:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1681 Post(s)
Liked: 4906
Little video of John Wick 3 Trailer in hdr.
WCG off, bc on.
Was on vacation last week so I used the projector a lot, and luckily had zero issues
post #3257 of 4726 Old 05-21-2019, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Received a replacement, April same release as others here. Firmware is still the same as old. This replaces my March release projector. I am taking it through its paces (NF, PC etc.) and so far it appears to switch sources better but it's probably in my head. Haven't tried the ceiling mount yet because I didn't want to go through the hassle if this was a dud. So far so good but not much different either.
post #3258 of 4726 Old 05-21-2019, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
These are available on Amazon for immediate purchase (14 left).
post #3259 of 4726 Old 05-21-2019, 10:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank714 View Post
Need...that...box! Please tell us the manufacturer and if possible where to get it from.

As I've plenty of RF glasses I really don't intend to replace them with DLP Link glasses, sounds like a great solution you got there.
It's called Xpand White Flash Converter.

Kinda hard to find now it looks like.

http://xpandvision.com/products/white-flash-converter/

Here's something looks like an Italian store?

https://www.rbshop24.it/en/occhiali-...chiali-3d.html

I got mine off Amazon for like $150 a couple years ago..

I'm attaching a couple photos of mine.
Frank714 likes this.
post #3260 of 4726 Old 05-22-2019, 03:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It's called Xpand White Flash Converter.

Kinda hard to find now it looks like.

http://xpandvision.com/products/white-flash-converter/

Here's something looks like an Italian store?

https://www.rbshop24.it/en/occhiali-...chiali-3d.html

Many thanks. As I'm residing in Europe I just ordered one copy from the Italian company. I'll report back if they still have it, deliver and how it performs.

As a vocal voice advocating RF 3D glasses against DLP Link I guess it was somewhat inevitable for me to be the one that has to assume the role of a Guinea Pig as I'm currently not seeing any future DLP projector to bring back the Vesa 3D Port for RF applications.

Again, many thanks for sharing this information with us.

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde
post #3261 of 4726 Old 05-22-2019, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glebonator View Post
Below are pictures from mine - hw: 01-101 manufactured: april 2019

Can somebody more knowledgeable confirm whether this is bad and in need of replacement or expected? I don't really see it from 14ft away on a 135in screen when watching anything, but bringing up a test pattern it's noticeably blurrier around the edges of the screen, probably due to this aberration. Up close it's very visible.
Do you have a PC connected? I noticed on mine that the text below icons on Windows desktop was more difficult to read on the edges and corners compared to the middle of the screen. That is about the only source I could notice it on from my viewing distance.

It's one of a small number of minor problems I have with mine, but I'd prefer not to return it as I've got none of the major problems that some have highlighted here. Mine is a March 01-100 model, so I will return if the later models seem routinely better.
post #3262 of 4726 Old 05-22-2019, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Many thanks. As I'm residing in Europe I just ordered one copy from the Italian company. I'll report back if they still have it, deliver and how it performs.

As a vocal voice advocating RF 3D glasses against DLP Link I guess it was somewhat inevitable for me to be the one that has to assume the role of a Guinea Pig as I'm currently not seeing any future DLP projector to bring back the Vesa 3D Port for RF applications.

Probably one for another thread, but would you mind quickly explaining the advantages of RF over DLP-Link glasses?

One is obviously range, and it is useful for those with an existing collection of RF glasses, but what else?

I am a big fan of 3D on this projector and I am currently using Optoma ZD302 glasses, but these won't last forever and I'm finding it increasingly difficult to find DLP-Link ones that I like.
post #3263 of 4726 Old 05-22-2019, 04:29 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

I thought most DLP link gave a red flash, or at least tinted the screen red. I wouldn't think the RF glasses would get rid of that red tint?

BenQ HT3050 (Previously BenQ W1070, Epson 8350, Mits HD1000u)
Elite 100" Spectrum Electric 16:9 Screen
Pioneer VSX-1131
SVS SBS-01/PB12-NSD 5.1.2 system
HTPC/Pimax5k+/XboxOneX
post #3264 of 4726 Old 05-22-2019, 06:30 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
I just picked up this fiber HDMI cable for my 25ft run. It's rated for in wall use. I couldn't find a non-fiber cable that reliably claimed 4K 60FPS HDR/18gbps for >25ft so wanted to play it safe: https://www.amazon.com/DTECH-Fiber-O...076SX7WXX?th=1

Lon gave a positive review of the 100ft model earlier this year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LdjPvP801U
Since I didn't get the answer I was looking for; I ended up getting the ATZEBE 30 ft. for $55. Also ordered a 3 pack of 2 foot copper 18Gbps cables as well for the source connections. Will find out today how it all works.
post #3265 of 4726 Old 05-22-2019, 07:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Probably one for another thread, but would you mind quickly explaining the advantages of RF over DLP-Link glasses?

One is obviously range, and it is useful for those with an existing collection of RF glasses, but what else?

I am a big fan of 3D on this projector and I am currently using Optoma ZD302 glasses, but these won't last forever and I'm finding it increasingly difficult to find DLP-Link ones that I like.

I don't want to watch 3D like above with my eyes fixed to the Screen - once in a while I'd like to side glance what my kids are doing and just can't stand the re-sync process involved with DLP Link.

Also I have some fun once in a while to getto the screen as close as possible to immerse myself in the 3D image, I'm not Aware DLP Link allows that.

Had the opportunity back in 2011 to try DLP Link versus RF on my Optoma HD 8300 and RF was simply better, so I never looked back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryudoadema View Post
I thought most DLP link gave a red flash, or at least tinted the screen red. I wouldn't think the RF glasses would get rid of that red tint?

In the German HiFi Forum 3D is pretty much alive and kicking and we just recently had several discussions (DLP Link vs. RF) which suggested that the differences in quality decreased to a point where it's not a big issue anymore.

My Optoma HD 8300 won't last forever and reluctantly I probably have to accept that unless I go for a Sony or JVC all I or we can expect from DLP projectors in the foreseeable future is DLP Link only for 3D. This DLP Link > RF converter apparently gets at least rid of one DLP Link side effect I just can't stand (see above) and is somewhat an investment into the future of my 3D applications.

post #3266 of 4726 Old 05-22-2019, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Does benqdirect charge sales tax? I noticed they have a couple in stock and upon checkout there's zero tax (to IL). Any reason not to order from them? I was thinking of ordering from Amazon or BestBuy as you have the option to purchase an extended warranty. This is my first projector so not sure if it's necessary given the 3 year warranty.
I went through BenQDirect early on just to get this as quick as possible (first 4k projector). No sales tax for me.
post #3267 of 4726 Old 05-22-2019, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The Dynamic Iris

Movie night #2 last night with the 3550 - "The Revenant" UHD

The perfect test movie for the 3550. Played in Cinema Mode. A beautiful movie for the 3550 and great for a variety of scenes and details to get the settings to your personal preference for all movies. This was a much better setting resource than the first night's "John Wick - Chapter 2" UHD.

At the start, it was evident I had to turn off the Dynamic Iris. Many shots in wooded bright daylight scenes panning from bright to dark areas. The DI would get faked out and brighten and then immediately darken (go back to normal) many times. Since the black bars at the top and bottom are projected black, the black bars would brighten as the Iris brightened. Default brightness in Cinema Mode is 50. I found 50 to be about the right threshold setting for black. Problem is the Dynamic Iris would raise the brightness above the 50 threshold and the black bars would lighten with the scene. With a fast panning battle scene, the black bars were fluctuating rapidly. Very annoying. I turned off the DI and the black bars stopped fluctuating in brightness. Projected black in the 3550 is still not the absence of light as shadows can be cast in the horizontal black bars at the top and bottom at any brightness level.

Another DI instance was a very dark indoor night scene with only a candlelight reflecting off a face. The speech was in Native American and had white translation text on the screen. Every time the text appeared, the blacks (which was most of the screen) lightened significantly, then darkened with the text removal. At that point, the DI was turned off for the rest of the movie.

My Sharpness was maxed out by default in Cinema Mode. I couldn't notice much difference sliding the Sharpness from max to min. Others have pointed out the 3550's image is less sharp than some other 4k projectors. I played with the Pixel Enhancer setting which is defaulted at 6 out of 15 in Cinema Mode. Looking at facial features and object details, sliding up PE bought out much more details in the skin and overall object details. This was at a price though, as overall scenes (especially outdoor scenic shots) appeared over-sharpened with white added to dark edges like tree limbs and an exaggerated texture to the scene like the snow and sky. I initially pushed the Pixel Enhancer up to 13 since I was pleased with the added details on the characters and objects, but as the movie progressed I step-by-step rolled it down to 8 to get the overall visuals looking acceptable.

The Contrast was defaulted to 50 in Cinema Mode. I pushed it up to 85 to brighten the whites for personal preference.

The fan noise that I pointed out was loud the first night didn't seem to be as prominent last night. Maybe "John Wick 2" did permanent hearing damage.
NxNW likes this.
post #3268 of 4726 Old 05-22-2019, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Both the old and new projector exhibit one odd behavior which I know others have reported as well. I can duplicate it but also don't know how to move further on understanding where the issue sits.

I have scenes (ability to set settings a certain way on my Yamaha, let's call it a macro) so I have scene 1 programmed to watch netflix, scene 2 for PC, Scene 3 for xbox and so on. Anytime I switch from any scene to PC, the display is red with black PC icons and so on. So, I tried to duplicate with just changing inputs and sure enough it still does that (so I know it's not the scene). I tried changing color brilliance (basically any item I can, say DI, source input, plug HDMI cable in and out) and the only way I can get the PC to display correctly is if I either turn the receiver off and on OR Projector off and on. All other sources give me no problems. Connecting PC directly to the projector produces no issues so you would think it's the AVR but if I turn on the PC and AVR before the projector, all goes well there as well. So, the issue only seems to be when I switch inputs through the AVR. The rest of the input switching is just fine (netflix, xbox and so on) so I don't think it's the AVR either.

Anyway, weird. Maybe the PC is slower in its handshake with BenQ. BenQ connects and moves on and doesn't see a need to re-handshake with it. The question is, is there a way to trigger it again without completely powering it off and back on? I'll live with it but annoying.
post #3269 of 4726 Old 05-22-2019, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You're not the initial guinea pig here, as I can attest this thing works awesome with no issues.

Perfect 3D from my RF base to my ZF300 glasses using this unit on this projector HT3550 and the 3D is good, perfect sync, looks great.

You're going to love this thing.

Frank714 likes this.
post #3270 of 4726 Old 05-22-2019, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'll tell you from my perspective, I can wear my ZF300 glasses, and go to the bathroom, or downstairs, or check my phone, or look at a friend or my fridge for a beer. And it NEVER loses sync.

Plus there glasses are comfortable and give an awesome image, so I like them all around.

RF just never loses sync anywhere in my house and it's nice peace of mind. DLP Link goes in and out even for 2 seconds is very distracting and if I have 8 people watching a movie with any desync issues would ruin a good movie.

Frank714 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page