BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread - Page 11 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2804Likes

post #301 of 4991 Old 01-06-2019, 06:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 203 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2794 Post(s)
Liked: 2799
BenQ 2700 Announced

Quote:
Originally Posted by bix26 View Post
Hi Sage,
I really appreciate you taking the time and effort to research and explain all of this. Do you know or can you ask one of your contacts at BenQ, if all of the 4x pixel shifts happen within each pass of a color segment on the the color wheel? If it does then my conclusion would be that the pixel shifting has no effect on rbe or the projectors effective color wheel speed. It may have other effects that haven’t been labeled yet idk, that’s for another time. I have read your posts, so if I missed this I apologize.
Thanks

The irony here is I am the least interested in how stuff works and more interested in the result.

If I’m understanding your question right then the answer is no. The pixel shift occurs for every 2 full rotations of the color wheel not for every single rotation of the wheel.

The wheel spins at 7200rpm which is 120 revolutions per second or 120Hz. I’m probably not using the right terminology here but the DLP47 quad shift system operates at 240Hz (4 ‘positions’ for every frame of 60Hz video). That means that for every frame of a 60Hz video you are getting 4 shifted images that make up the final 4K image. During this time you are also getting 2 full rotations of the colorwheel (again, the wheel is 120Hz).

The difference between a 1080p DLP and a 4K DLP is down to how many times a single image is repeated within a single frame of video. Remember that with a 4K DLP the full 4K image is never present on the screen at the exact same instant. Instead, the 4K image is a composite of 4 different rapidly ‘shifted’ 2 million pixel images that combine to form the single 8 million pixel image.

Does that help? I go into a bit more detail above but I’m afraid I’m doing a poor job of explaining or this topic is simply more confusing than I initially thought.

BOTTOM LINE: the ‘2X’ color wheel of the HT3550/W2700 is not any slower than the ‘4X’ color wheel on the HT2050A. I’ll ask my contact why they arrived at this particular nomenclature but my guess is it was to be more transparent. We probably never should have started calling RGBRGB color wheels ‘4X’ and instead called them what they are: 2X RGBRGB color wheels. The wheel is 2X because it completes two full rotations during every frame of 60Hz video.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 4991 Old 01-06-2019, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3830 Post(s)
Liked: 3030
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
… I’ll ask my contact why they arrived at this particular nomenclature but my guess is it was to be more transparent. We probably never should have started calling RGBRGB color wheels ‘4X’ and instead called them what they are: 2X RGBRGB color wheels. The wheel is 2X because it completes two full rotations during every frame of 60Hz video.
I think it would be helpful for you to explain to your BenQ contact that they are only creating consumer confusion by specifying a 7,200 rpm RGBRGB color wheel with XPR pixel shifting as 2X. Educated consumers have been trained by experience to seek out DLP projectors with minimum 4X color wheel speed for the sole purpose of avoiding rainbows. Specifying XPR models as 2X is telling consumers that those projectors are a step backward by being as likely to cause rainbows as the old 2X 1080p models.

If indeed the current XPR 2X models are no more prone to rainbows than the older 1080p 4X models then my suggestion to BenQ would be to become an industry leader by being the first to ditch the X speed rating for good. Simply change their description to something like "fast 7,200 rpm RGBRGB color wheel for optimum image quality."
scottyroo likes this.
post #303 of 4991 Old 01-06-2019, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
I think it would be helpful for you to explain to your BenQ contact that they are only creating consumer confusion by specifying a 7,200 rpm RGBRGB color wheel with XPR pixel shifting as 2X. Educated consumers have been trained by experience to seek out DLP projectors with minimum 4X color wheel speed for the sole purpose of avoiding rainbows. Specifying XPR models as 2X is telling consumers that those projectors are a step backward by being as likely to cause rainbows as the old 2X 1080p models.

If indeed the current XPR 2X models are no more prone to rainbows than the older 1080p 4X models then my suggestion to BenQ would be to become an industry leader by being the first to ditch the X speed rating for good. Simply change their description to something like "fast 7,200 rpm RGBRGB color wheel for optimum image quality."

Not a bad idea at all. It all makes sense with current math, but is confusing for the consumer nonetheless.

Should we put the shifting discussion to bed until we see this PJ in action?

"The Bunker" | Dedicated Theater Build Under Suspended Slab Garage
Testing: BenQ HT5550 | Epson 5050UB | 160" Dragonfly™ Fixed AT Screen
Denon X6300H | 9.4.4 (7.2.4 Discrete) | 9x Episode 900 Series LCR/Surrounds | 4x Episode 1700 Series ATMOS Heights | 4x Episode 12" Evo Subs
Sony X700 | Xbox One X | NVIDIA Shield TV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #304 of 4991 Old 01-06-2019, 05:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyroo View Post
… Should we put the shifting discussion to bed until we see this PJ in action?
It's a good idea not to have all the discussion in this thread as it applies to all XPR projectors with color wheels and not just the new BenQ. Maybe if @sage11x gets a good answer from BenQ it would be a good idea to start a new thread specifically about color wheels. I'm also hoping that @ProCentral Rob will take enough interest in this that projectorcentral.com will look into it.
scottyroo likes this.
post #305 of 4991 Old 01-06-2019, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
It's a good idea not to have all the discussion in this thread as it applies to all XPR projectors with color wheels and not just the new BenQ. Maybe if @sage11x gets a good answer from BenQ it would be a good idea to start a new thread specifically about color wheels. I'm also hoping that @ProCentral Rob will take enough interest in this that projectorcentral.com will look into it.

Dave - I’ve shared your post with a contact of mine at BenQ. He is sharing with his team today in Taipei. I’ll let you know if I hear anything.
Dave in Green likes this.

Denon X6300H | 9.4.4 (7.2.4 Discrete) | 9x Episode 900 Series LCR/Surrounds | 4x Episode 1700 Series ATMOS Heights | 4x Episode 12" Evo Subs
post #306 of 4991 Old 01-06-2019, 06:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

BenQ 2700 Announced

Quote:

I don’t think there’s enough to talk about to start a new thread. Plus, I doubt most people care. I doubt most people know enough to care. 2X makes sense because the wheel rotates twice for each frame of 60Hz video. But I like the idea to list the wheel as 7200rpm rgbrgb— even though it’s kind of the same thing, right? I also don’t think that is going to lower confusion. Instead, people will just ask: “well does that mean 2X or 4x?”

It’s a good thing we have forums so people can talk about and explain this stuff....
scottyroo likes this.

Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

post #307 of 4991 Old 01-06-2019, 09:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@sage11x , remember that the informal X speed rating thing was originally created to show that color wheel speed had been increased 2X from 3,600 to 7,200 rpm. The only reason that it had any meaning in the first place was to inform projector shoppers that the faster color wheel reduced the rainbow effect that was a major issue with 3,600 rpm color wheels. When the number of RGB segments was increased 2X to RGBRGB and the rating doubled again to 4X the only purpose was to further reduce RBE.

The only reason projector companies advertise the X speed rating is to signal to projector shoppers that higher X speed ratings mean less chance of RBE. So the X speed rating is extremely important to anyone sensitive to RBE who relies on that rating to buy projectors with less chance of showing rainbows. Going backward from 4X to 2X is a terrible idea because it implies that there is more chance of seeing rainbows. There's simply no reason to even publish an X speed rating if it doesn't accurately describe a projector's potential for RBE.

Due to all the confusion I think it's certainly worthy of its own thread and will be happy to start that thread once some reliable data is available.
Calibratedlumens likes this.
post #308 of 4991 Old 01-06-2019, 11:03 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I have a briefing set up with BenQ later this month to get the download on the new models. I’ll try to get some clarity as well.
Brajesh, sage11x and Dave in Green like this.

Editor-in-Chief, ProjectorCentral.com
post #309 of 4991 Old 01-06-2019, 11:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

BenQ 2700 Announced

Quote:
@sage11x , remember that the informal X speed rating thing was originally created to show that color wheel speed had been increased 2X from 3,600 to 7,200 rpm. The only reason that it had any meaning in the first place was to inform projector shoppers that the faster color wheel reduced the rainbow effect that was a major issue with 3,600 rpm color wheels. When the number of RGB segments was increased 2X to RGBRGB and the rating doubled again to 4X the only purpose was to further reduce RBE.

The only reason projector companies advertise the X speed rating is to signal to projector shoppers that higher X speed ratings mean less chance of RBE. So the X speed rating is extremely important to anyone sensitive to RBE who relies on that rating to buy projectors with less chance of showing rainbows. Going backward from 4X to 2X is a terrible idea because it implies that there is more chance of seeing rainbows. There's simply no reason to even publish an X speed rating if it doesn't accurately describe a projector's potential for RBE.

Due to all the confusion I think it's certainly worthy of its own thread and will be happy to start that thread once some reliable data is available.

It sounds like Scott has already reached out so maybe I’ll hang back on this one. I don’t disagree with you I just think this is a bit of a nothing burger. But I agree it can be confusing which is why I’m trying to clear this up for folks. I guess my advice to everyone is ignore the ‘X’ and just pay attention to the colorwheel layout.

Here’s something to think about. The BenQ HT2050A is advertised as having a 4X wheel speed for 60Hz video. We both know how they arrive at this: we convert 7200rpm to Hz which is 120Hz divided by the number of frames in the video content (60) multiplied by the set of RGB slices for each full rotation (2) and badabingbadaboom: 4X. So here’s my question: what content do you watch that is 60Hz? While video games run at 60 most everything else you watch is displayed at 30Hz. So why don’t we call it an 8X wheel? After all you’re technically getting 8 passes of RGB per frame of 30Hz content?

This is why I agree with you and say: ignore the ‘X’. At this point in the game it doesn’t matter anymore. What matters is the number of slices. You’re looking for rgbrgb or rgbwrgbw for the lowest occurrence of RBE. And let’s not forget that this entire discussion started with one poster who said he saw RBE on an HT2550. While I certainly believe him the fact is reports of seeing RBE on the HT2550 are exceptionally rare. About as rare as people experiencing RBE on the HT2050A. My guess is he is just sensitive to RBE and the brighter highlights of the HDR equipped HT2550 made them easier to see.

post #310 of 4991 Old 01-06-2019, 11:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProCentral Rob View Post
I have a briefing set up with BenQ later this month to get the download on the new models. I’ll try to get some clarity as well.

I’m looking deep into my crystal ball and predicting they will tell you it’s a 7200rpm rgbrgb color wheel that has an effective “4X ‘pixel-shifting’ color wheel speed”.

post #311 of 4991 Old 01-07-2019, 07:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

Here’s something to think about. The BenQ HT2050A is advertised as having a 4X wheel speed for 60Hz video. We both know how they arrive at this: we convert 7200rpm to Hz which is 120Hz divided by the number of frames in the video content (60) multiplied by the set of RGB slices for each full rotation (2) and badabingbadaboom: 4X. So here’s my question: what content do you watch that is 60Hz? While video games run at 60 most everything else you watch is displayed at 30Hz. So why don’t we call it an 8X wheel? After all you’re technically getting 8 passes of RGB per frame of 30Hz content?
Yeah, i dont think this is how it works. If you watch 30hz/fps content and you are using 60hz on the projector, you get exactly as much color information as native 60hz/fps content. You will get 4 passes of color refresh per frame on both cases, the 30fps content just has duplicate frames while every frame in 60fps is unique. Thus the rainbow effect is not affected at all.

If you meant that projector has native 1080p30hz mode then sure it actually might be slightly more effective against RBE if its similar to what 24p mode does. Still very different for what you wrote and calling it 8x wheel wouldnt make sense either because it would get at most 6 passes per frame(duplicated internally). But i dont remember having 1080p30hz as an option on pc at least, so i think 30fps content is watched on the projector using 60hz mode. Makes sense since it wont bring additional judder. But you will NOT get 8 passes of rgb per frame. You will get 4.

Since im now replying to you, YES, i did read all of your comments. I wasnt going to bother replying to them because you were repeating the same points over and over again which contradict your conclusion in my opinion. And that just reminded me how it went with you and Dave regards to CW speeds earlier, in which you lied about confirming that Benq 4x CW's spin at 14400rpm and stated it as a fact for weeks. Dave had to challenge it too many times before you actually got correct information. So i find arguing about this pointless, since you are probably not willing to see my point of view until we actually get more information from people who actually know how this stuff works. Again, im not saying you are wrong or i am right, just that you are too willing to state things as facts on a subject you clearly dont know well enough to do that.

Last edited by perkele; 01-07-2019 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Had couple typos
post #312 of 4991 Old 01-07-2019, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Hey I chimed in before when you asked and I’ll chime in again... since you asked

Refresher: I’m in similar spot with my 160” 1.0 gain screen and had the Epson 4000, BenQ 2550, and TK800. The Epson’s HDR wasn’t bad, but I prefer the HDR implementation on the BenQ’s.

HDR in any projector is going to throw color space standards out the window. The implementation of balancing color space and brightness is manufacture specific and I feel BenQ did a really good job finding this balance and avoiding oversaturated red hotspots which I found in the Epson.

So color space/HDR implementation, Epson 4000<TK800<HT2550

Brightness. With the HDR implementation scoring towards the BenQ on both the HT2550 and TK800, the brightness story is slightly different for people with these 150”+ screens (who 4K was made for!). HDR brightness was slightly better on the Epson compared to the HT2550. But what you trade for brightness with the HT2550, you make up with accurate color and great HDR implementation. The TK800 is where big, bright, HDR shines. The TK800 bests the Epson in HDR brightness, implementation, and is only marginally less color accurate compared to the HT2550.

So HDR brightness for 150”+ screens, HT2550<Epson 4000<TK800

For HDR Brightness:

If I had a 100-120” screen in a light controlled room I go for the HT2550

If I had a 120”+ screen in light controlled room I go for the TK800

If I had a 100”+ screen in ambient lit room I go for TK800

This next gen of projectors may change the above. While I am super excited for the HT3550, I also have my eye on the successor to the TK800.

Between these 3 projectors I just don’t see a scenario where the Epson made sense... for me. It’s too gimped to have the placement flexibility make it work it. Perhaps if I had an anamorphic screen?

We will get a lot more info this next week though! Hooray for competition
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond back. Quite honestly, this is exactly what I was looking for, an apples-to-apples. Paper and print always tells you one part of the story - I was really hoping to get a response from a 150" (or larger), 1.0 Gain (or lower) screen owner with Epson & BenQ comparison, and you gave me exactly that. Thank you!! This helps my decision and strengthens my direction of acquiring a BenQ.

Waiting for CES to pass & more info on these Projectors.

One question, I believe this particular thread which talks about W2700 (or perhaps the W5700) are successors to HT2550. You mentioned you were looking to the successor of TK800. Is that something on the horizon, and different from the models discussed in this thread?

Thank again for all your input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1 View Post
One of the forum members, @scottyroo had the HT2550 paired with his 160" screen. He later upgraded to TK800 for higher brightness. You can check out his review on youtube. link below. I do have 2:35 160" silverticket 1.0 screen but i wouldnt be able to tell you how good HT2550 is in HDR mode for another week or so. I'm just waiting for CES 2019 to see if anything better comes out from BenQ. I'm going to be upgrading to HT9060 LED based DLP but for the time being i might use HT2550.

Maybe @scottyroo can offer some assistance here. Also, you didn't mention anything about watching in dark room or with lights on?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDAuSeOtFoU
I should have mentioned lighting. Projector is never used with lights on or without dark room. The room does tend to get some outside light during daytime but we never use it in those hours, so for all intents and purposes, it's a light-controlled dark room.

Thanks for your response!

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhornsk57 View Post
I can attest, 160" screen and I do a lot of 3D. The TK800 is the best performer even in total darkness.

You'd want the RBGW version of this projector which is what I'm looking for
Thanks so much - another vote for 150"+! That's great to hear!!

Which one is the RBGW version? I'm not familiar with what that is.

Thanks again.

7.1.4: Polk RTi12 Fronts, RTi8 Surrounds, Monitor70 Surround Backs, CSi A6 Center, Klipsch R-14M Front Height & Rear Height + Outlaw LFM-1 EX Subwoofer.
JVC NX5 True 4K HDR Projector / Denon X6300H AVR
Intel Broadwell-E 6 Core (H2O) / EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid (H2O) HTPC
LG UBK80 UHD Blu-ray / XBOX One X
post #313 of 4991 Old 01-07-2019, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1072 Post(s)
Liked: 552
So what is happening when projector manufactures advertise a 6x wheel. My Mitsubishi even has a setting in the menu for 4x or 6x wheel although it is grayed out for many types of input.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #314 of 4991 Old 01-07-2019, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Two good reasons why putting the color wheel discussion in its own thread makes so much sense are because that will help educate more projector shoppers and the longer the discussion goes on in this thread the more folks coming here to get news on the BenQ 2700 are going to get annoyed. We now have multiple efforts going to get the straight engineering facts so really no need for further speculation. Until we have definitive science worthy of the AV Science Forum we'll just have to rely on the majority of professional reviews and user comments suggesting that RBE is no more of an issue for XPR projectors with 7,200 rpm RGBRGB ("2X") color wheels than 1080p models with 7,200 rpm RGBRGB ("4X") color wheels. As always, YMMV.
NJPete likes this.
post #315 of 4991 Old 01-07-2019, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey79 View Post
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond back. Quite honestly, this is exactly what I was looking for, an apples-to-apples. Paper and print always tells you one part of the story - I was really hoping to get a response from a 150" (or larger), 1.0 Gain (or lower) screen owner with Epson & BenQ comparison, and you gave me exactly that. Thank you!! This helps my decision and strengthens my direction of acquiring a BenQ.

One question, I believe this particular thread which talks about W2700 (or perhaps the W5700) are successors to HT2550. You mentioned you were looking to the successor of TK800. Is that something on the horizon, and different from the models discussed in this thread?

I should have mentioned lighting. Projector is never used with lights on or without dark room. The room does tend to get some outside light during daytime but we never use it in those hours, so for all intents and purposes, it's a light-controlled dark room.

Thanks again.
It hasn't been announced yet, that's what I'm waiting for. I'm just assuming they'll have an rbgw version and am eagerly awaiting it.
post #316 of 4991 Old 01-07-2019, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey79 View Post

Thanks again.

Hey, you’re welcome! Happy to help.

I will have to confirm an updated timetable with my BenQ guy, but I would guess that the release cycle will more or less mimic 2018. HT3550 early to mid Q1 and TK800 successor “bright” option early to mid Q2.

The RGBW wheel belongs to the TK800.

post #317 of 4991 Old 01-07-2019, 09:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perkele View Post
Yeah, i dont think this is how it works. If you watch 30hz/fps content and you are using 60hz on the projector, you get exactly as much color information as native 60hz/fps content. You will get 4 passes of color refresh per frame on both cases, the 30fps content just has duplicate frames while every frame in 60fps is unique. Thus the rainbow effect is not affected at all.

If you meant that projector has native 1080p30hz mode then sure it actually might be slightly more effective against RBE if its similar to what 24p mode does. Still very different for what you wrote and calling it 8x wheel wouldnt make sense either because it would get at most 6 passes per frame(duplicated internally). But i dont remember having 1080p30hz as an option on pc at least, so i think 30fps content is watched on the projector using 60hz mode. Makes sense since it wont bring additional judder. But you will NOT get 8 passes of rgb per frame. You will get 4.

Since im now replying to you, YES, i did read all of your comments. I wasnt going to bother replying to them because you were repeating the same points over and over again which contradict your conclusion in my opinion. And that just reminded me how it went with you and Dave regards to CW speeds earlier, in which you lied about confirming that Benq 4x CW's spin at 14400rpm and stated it as a fact for weeks. Dave had to challenge it too many times before you actually got correct information. So i find arguing about this pointless, since you are probably not willing to see my point of view until we actually get more information from people who actually know how this stuff works. Again, im not saying you are wrong or i am right, just that you are too willing to state things as facts on a subject you clearly dont know well enough to do that.

My point is the whole ‘X’ measurement thing is dumb. The wheel on the Ht2050A is a 120HZ (7200rpm) RGBRGB wheel. The wheel on the HT2550 is a 120Hz (7200rpm) RGBRGB wheel. The wheel on the HT3550/W2700 is a 120Hz (7200rpm) RGBRGB wheel. They are all the same speed. Regardless of pixel shifting the wheel rotates at the same exact speed. You get the same number of rotations and the same number of rgb passes per frame. You keep saying the wheel is slower. It’s not.

And I never lied. I was misunderstanding how this all works. To make sure I had the correct information I went straight to BenQ to get a better understanding of how this works in relation to the pixel shifting. And I made a point to correct any statements that I made and admitted that I was wrong. @Dave in Green can attest to that fact. Considering I’ve been seeing misinformation about this subject spread by pro reviewers I don’t feel too bad. Considering I have never seen this covered correctly on this forum I don’t feel too bad. I don’t like to be misinformed so I made it a point to get the correct information. I actually have a very good understanding of how this works now and I thought I would share that information with the thread. I’m confident in my understanding of the subject and I’m confident in my reputation and my post history. You were making some incorrect statements and I corrected them. Just like I would expect to be corrected when I have the wrong information. Don’t take it personally.

post #318 of 4991 Old 01-07-2019, 09:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

BenQ 2700 Announced

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
So what is happening when projector manufactures advertise a 6x wheel. My Mitsubishi even has a setting in the menu for 4x or 6x wheel although it is grayed out for many types of input.

The ‘6X wheel’ is only a thing for PAL regions because PAL video runs at 50Hz instead of 60Hz.
If you live in NTSC you are either going to see ‘4X’ for 60Hz or 5X for 48Hz (24fps Blu-ray and 4K Blu-ray).

Again, for the record, 24fps content does not cause the wheel to spin faster. Check my post above to see the math. It’s 5X because you get 2.5 rotations for each frame. This doesn’t apply to any of the 4K pixel shifters because they are locked into a 60Hz refresh and can’t display 24fps natively.

Last edited by sage11x; 01-07-2019 at 09:54 PM.
post #319 of 4991 Old 01-07-2019, 09:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hey, you’re welcome! Happy to help.

I will have to confirm an updated timetable with my BenQ guy, but I would guess that the release cycle will more or less mimic 2018. HT3550 early to mid Q1 and TK800 successor “bright” option early to mid Q2.

The RGBW wheel belongs to the TK800.

The TK800 will be getting a mild update and a new name: TK800M. It will be the sole entry level 4K from BenQ as the HT2550 is, unfortunately, EOL. The rest of the world will continue on with the W1700 but we won’t have a version here in the states.

Don’t forget the as yet un-named bright version of the HT3550. This will be at the same price as the HT3550 but contain a white slice in it’s color wheel to up the lumens. Expect more information on that model in Q2.

So BenQ will be fielding three 4K models here in the states. The TK800M at the entry level, the HT3550 and a bright version of the HT3550 at the mid price range. No word yet if the recently announced W5700 will find it’s way stateside.
mickey79 likes this.

post #320 of 4991 Old 01-08-2019, 05:11 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
The ‘6X wheel’ is only a thing for PAL regions because PAL video runs at 50Hz instead of 60Hz.
If you live in NTSC you are either going to see ‘4X’ for 60Hz or 5X for 48Hz (24fps Blu-ray and 4K Blu-ray).

Again, for the record, 24fps content does not cause the wheel to spin faster. Check my post above to see the math. It’s 5X because you get 2.5 rotations for each frame. This doesn’t apply to any of the 4K pixel shifters because they are locked into a 60Hz refresh and can’t display 24fps natively.
Yes it does. The wheel spins physically faster in 24hz and 50hz mode compared to 60hz. On Benq ht2050 at least.

And i took a quick video where i change source from 60hz to 24hz. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Y9L...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by perkele; 01-08-2019 at 11:08 AM.
post #321 of 4991 Old 01-08-2019, 06:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perkele View Post
Yes it does. The wheel spins physically faster in 24hz and 50hz mode compared to 60hz. On Benq ht2050 at least.

Ok...
@Dave in Green please start that color wheel thread. We need to offload this conversation there.
scottyroo likes this.

post #322 of 4991 Old 01-08-2019, 06:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1861 Post(s)
Liked: 622
Where is the announcement on the HT3550? Weird that it still hasn't happened.

Still holding out faint hope that they will announce a 2550a with 1.15 throw and say they've eliminated the humming noise. Then I can put my UHD50 back in a box to Amazon.

Last edited by JRock3x8; 01-08-2019 at 06:35 AM.
post #323 of 4991 Old 01-08-2019, 06:52 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
Where is the announcement on the HT3550? Weird that it still hasn't happened.

Still holding out faint hope that they will announce a 2550a with 1.15 throw and say they've eliminated the humming noise. Then I can put my UHD50 back in a box to Amazon.
Checking in here after a while, getting confused... I thought there was going to be an announcement soon for a 2700 which was going to be a 4k successor to the W1070 with the same throw ratio?
post #324 of 4991 Old 01-08-2019, 07:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1861 Post(s)
Liked: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie88 View Post
Checking in here after a while, getting confused... I thought there was going to be an announcement soon for a 2700 which was going to be a 4k successor to the W1070 with the same throw ratio?
all the same - they are calling it the HT3550 in the US
post #325 of 4991 Old 01-08-2019, 07:06 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I think it's gonna be announced on the 10th. Price $1500-$1700.

I unfold the scroll, plant seeds to stampede the globe
When I'm deceased, by then the beast arise like yeast
to conquer peace leaving savages to roam in the streets.
post #326 of 4991 Old 01-08-2019, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
The TK800 will be getting a mild update and a new name: TK800M. It will be the sole entry level 4K from BenQ as the HT2550 is, unfortunately, EOL. The rest of the world will continue on with the W1700 but we won’t have a version here in the states.

Don’t forget the as yet un-named bright version of the HT3550. This will be at the same price as the HT3550 but contain a white slice in it’s color wheel to up the lumens. Expect more information on that model in Q2.

So BenQ will be fielding three 4K models here in the states. The TK800M at the entry level, the HT3550 and a bright version of the HT3550 at the mid price range. No word yet if the recently announced W5700 will find it’s way stateside.
Thanks scottyroo & longhornsk57 for your response & clarification!

Thanks so much sage11x, for your comments.

I don't know if I can wait through Q2 for this purchase. I've been ready since November last year to replace my Epson 5010 and my fingers are itching. This post provides a lot of clarity & info on the models to be expected.

I'll skip the entry level TK800M, so I believe at this point I'm mainly looking at HT3550. Ideally I would love to get the "brighter" HT3550, but if it's Q2, it might be too late - I don't think I'll hold out that long.

Let's see what comes up at CES.

Thanks for all your input guys.

7.1.4: Polk RTi12 Fronts, RTi8 Surrounds, Monitor70 Surround Backs, CSi A6 Center, Klipsch R-14M Front Height & Rear Height + Outlaw LFM-1 EX Subwoofer.
JVC NX5 True 4K HDR Projector / Denon X6300H AVR
Intel Broadwell-E 6 Core (H2O) / EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid (H2O) HTPC
LG UBK80 UHD Blu-ray / XBOX One X
post #327 of 4991 Old 01-08-2019, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I summarized the color wheel issue in a new dedicated thread so it's time to end the discussion here and take it to that thread:

avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/3041438-dlp-color-wheel-speed-xpr-pixel-shifting.html#post57399504
sage11x likes this.
post #328 of 4991 Old 01-08-2019, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Benq has a booth at CES. Has anyone stopped by to see if the 2700/3550 is on demo?

Jack
post #329 of 4991 Old 01-08-2019, 11:00 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Some info on pricing in the EU for the W2700 and W5700: https://altadefinizione.hdblog.it/20...tori-ultra-hd/

'BenQ W2700 comes at the price of 1,799 Euros while W5700 will arrive in the first quarter of 2019 with a list price of 2,999 Euros.'

Given that the W1700 retailed for 1299 Euros and $1499USD in the US (multiplier of 1.15x), I'd expect the W2700 to be priced a bit over $2k USD and around $3.5k USD for the W5700 in the US.
sage11x likes this.

Display: BenQ W1070 (soon to be Acer VL7860) | Screen: Dark Energy Abyss 0.9 (120") (16:9)
Sound system (5.1): Elac UF5 (Front LR), Pioneer SP-C22 (center), Pioneer SP-BS22 (surround LR), Yamaha YST-SW216 (subwoofer) | AVR: Yamaha RX-383
Player: Panasonic UB820
post #330 of 4991 Old 01-09-2019, 07:46 AM
MJ1

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 33
If that's the case w5700 will be $1000 higher than similar spec JVC DLP that came out almost year ago. Unless the street price is much lower on w5700, it's going to be a tough seller.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page