BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread - Page 111 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2801Likes

post #3301 of 4982 Old 05-27-2019, 01:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by xealo View Post
Anyone else have random source drops? I watched a 2 hour long UHD film last night in HDR10 mode and the screen went black about 2-3 times during the course of the movie. It came back every time but was a bit strange. Noticed this as well on my PS4 when playing games(only 1080p). Happens ever so often at random. I have an approximately 35 foot run from my PJ to receiver with the 30 out of the 35 feet being carried on a fiber optic cable and the rest being a 2 and 3 foot heavily shielded copper ones(ceiling to pj and wall to receiver, in-between is fiber). I don't think that it's my run but figured I'd include that info as well.

Hi, same issue here, it is random no matter the quality, 720p, 1080p or UHD. I have 10 foot new uhd cable from my Denon to de pj, and 3 foot from the nvidia shield to de Denon.
I´m trying to change the pj for another unit just in case it is not a firmware problem.

My unit: April 2019 Rev 01-100.

By the way, I´m building a Hush box, this is too loud for me (it is over my head, much more louder than my older w1070 ) but the image quality is so fantastic, I think with the hush box it will be just perfect for me at this price and with this throw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3302 of 4982 Old 05-27-2019, 05:42 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Anyone else have random source drops? I watched a 2 hour long UHD film last night in HDR10 mode and the screen went black about 2-3 times during the course of the movie. It came back every time but was a bit strange. Noticed this as well on my PS4 when playing games(only 1080p). Happens ever so often at random. I have an approximately 35 foot run from my PJ to receiver with the 30 out of the 35 feet being carried on a fiber optic cable and the rest being a 2 and 3 foot heavily shielded copper ones(ceiling to pj and wall to receiver, in-between is fiber). I don't think that it's my run but figured I'd include that info as well.
I am having the same issue as well as difficulty finding the source , I've tried different start up sequences. I'm going thru a denon x4400 and have thought that may be the issue, I'm using a ruipro cable but have another cable coming to see if that makes a difference. It drops out regularly using a roku, I tried bypassing receiver and want direct from roku to projector but could get past the hdcp error
post #3303 of 4982 Old 05-27-2019, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Before I had the unit swapped, my old unit would lose source all the time and I changed the cable which helped with all content except Netflix. I chalked that up to a glitch in my bandwidth. But it appeared to be consistent about 10 min into any streaming show requiring a reboot of the projector. I haven’t seen that behavior on the new unit which Benq replaced. Hope that solves your problem. At this rate, we’re doing our fellow members a huge service who will get a lot of refurbished units to choose from while us early adopters paid full price. Not complaining, I’d do it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3304 of 4982 Old 05-27-2019, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked: 4973
Another thing to try if some of you are experiencing drop outs that are using a Denon avr with a tv in the mix would be to change the video output to the one the pj is on.
So instead of dual, use monitor 1 or 2 when using the pj(depending which one your using for pj)
This is in the setup menu under video.
I used to get drop outs with my ht2050 when running dual output. Went crazy swapping cables etc till I tried simply switching to output 2 when using pj.
Zero issues after.
I still switch to output 2 when using my 3550 and haven't had a single drop out.
My hdmi is a 40 foot Ruipro fiber.
CallingMrBenzo likes this.
post #3305 of 4982 Old 05-27-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
Another thing to try if some of you are experiencing drop outs that are using a Denon avr with a tv in the mix would be to change the video output to the one the pj is on.
So instead of dual, use monitor 1 or 2 when using the pj(depending which one your using for pj)
I used to get drop outs with my ht2050 when running dual output. Went crazy swapping cables etc till I tried simply switching to output 2 when using pj.
Zero issues after.
I still switch to output 2 when using my 3550 and haven't had a single drop out.
Are you saying you have a separate Video and audio out? My Panasonic blu ray (which I use to run NF for ex.) has a video out which I can run straight to the projector and audio through the receiver. I ran into lipsync issues which I was able to correct through delay. It just complicated my setup further (for my SO and kids) so I have just gone back to one cable solution since the new projector.
post #3306 of 4982 Old 05-27-2019, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked: 4973
Quote:
Originally Posted by home4sale2 View Post
Are you saying you have a separate Video and audio out? My Panasonic blu ray (which I use to run NF for ex.) has a video out which I can run straight to the projector and audio through the receiver. I ran into lipsync issues which I was able to correct through delay. It just complicated my setup further (for my SO and kids) so I have just gone back to one cable solution since the new projector.
My avr has dual hdmi outputs. One is for my tv and the other the pj. I found when running it in "dual" output I'd get drop outs.
So to avoid that I simply switched it to the hdmi output that the pj is on, in my case it's output 2.
post #3307 of 4982 Old 05-27-2019, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmycit View Post
Hi, same issue here, it is random no matter the quality, 720p, 1080p or UHD. I have 10 foot new uhd cable from my Denon to de pj, and 3 foot from the nvidia shield to de Denon.
I´m trying to change the pj for another unit just in case it is not a firmware problem.

My unit: April 2019 Rev 01-100.

By the way, I´m building a Hush box, this is too loud for me (it is over my head, much more louder than my older w1070 ) but the image quality is so fantastic, I think with the hush box it will be just perfect for me at this price and with this throw.
Are you just going to wait for updated firmware or are you in touch with benq already?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian18 View Post
I am having the same issue as well as difficulty finding the source , I've tried different start up sequences. I'm going thru a denon x4400 and have thought that may be the issue, I'm using a ruipro cable but have another cable coming to see if that makes a difference. It drops out regularly using a roku, I tried bypassing receiver and want direct from roku to projector but could get past the hdcp error
I may try this; just pulling the fiber cable directly to both the pj and receiver therefore eliminating the other two cables for testing sake.

Quote:
Before I had the unit swapped, my old unit would lose source all the time and I changed the cable which helped with all content except Netflix. I chalked that up to a glitch in my bandwidth. But it appeared to be consistent about 10 min into any streaming show requiring a reboot of the projector. I haven’t seen that behavior on the new unit which Benq replaced. Hope that solves your problem. At this rate, we’re doing our fellow members a huge service who will get a lot of refurbished units to choose from while us early adopters paid full price. Not complaining, I’d do it again.

Yeah I don't think it's a bandwidth problem because before I got this pj, I had non-high bandwidth hdmi cables setup on the same run and never once did I lose the source on my HT2050 whilst using my PS4. It's been dropping the source no matter the content. It may very well be the pj, I'll just wait for new firmware before I get in touch with benq on setting up a replacement.

Quote:
Zero issues after.
I have a Yamaha AX-660, so 4 input, 1 output.

Last edited by xealo; 05-27-2019 at 12:44 PM.
post #3308 of 4982 Old 05-27-2019, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Yeah I don't think it's a bandwidth problem because before I got this pj, I had non-high bandwidth hdmi cables setup on the same run and never once did I lose the source on my HT2050 whilst using my PS4. It's been dropping the source no matter the content. It may very well be the pj, I'll just wait for new firmware before I get in touch with benq on setting up a replacement.

Quote:
Zero issues after.
I have a Yamaha AX-660, so 4 input, 1 output.[/QUOTE]

I don't think it's bandwidth either, my w1070 never dropped on 1080 content, I'm hoping this is a firmware fix.
post #3309 of 4982 Old 05-27-2019, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmycit View Post
I need to do this AND figure out how to remove some of the heat this thing let’s off. After 2hrs, it’s way hotter in my room than with my previous PJ (HD33). Yeeesh

My Media Room
AVR 1-Yamaha RX-A3050 (7.2.4), AVR 2 Pioneer VSX-815-K(Used for 4ch Amp TF+TR)
Mains-Polk Audio RTi8, Center-Polk Audio CSi5, Surrounds-Polk Audio RTi4, Ceilings-Micca M-8C, Sub 1- UM18-22 (4cu.ft DIY) - iNuke 6000DSP Sub 2-Klipsch RW12D,
Projector-Looking, Screen-Da-Lite 100" Model B, TV-Vizio P-65 4K
post #3310 of 4982 Old 05-27-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Are you just going to wait for updated firmware or are you in touch with benq already?

I'm in touch with the shop that sold it to me, tomorrow it goes back there for a change. I'm in the first 15 days so I can change it before rma it to benq. (here in Spain you can change the item if it doesn´t work properly in the first 15 days).

If the problem continues then I will know is not a pj problem.
post #3311 of 4982 Old 05-27-2019, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rontalley View Post
I need to do this AND figure out how to remove some of the heat this thing let’s off. After 2hrs, it’s way hotter in my room than with my previous PJ (HD33). Yeeesh

Good point! if you figure how to cool it, show us please!
post #3312 of 4982 Old 05-27-2019, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I want to use this only for flight sim gaming. is over 80ms input lag acceptable?
post #3313 of 4982 Old 05-27-2019, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 220
BenQ must be making a killing on these things..... been virtually impossible to find on amazon

Always showing shipping in 1-2 months
post #3314 of 4982 Old 05-27-2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian18 View Post

I have a Yamaha AX-660, so 4 input, 1 output.

I don't think it's bandwidth either, my w1070 never dropped on 1080 content, I'm hoping this is a firmware fix.[/QUOTE]

Appears your problem is different than mine but to be clear that by bandwidth what I meant was your download speed from the internet provider or just Netflix or a streaming company’s network temporarily flaking out this the projector losing the source.

post #3315 of 4982 Old 05-27-2019, 05:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodAtum View Post
I want to use this only for flight sim gaming. is over 80ms input lag acceptable?
For flight swimming yes, not for competitive combat fighting...

As a fellow simmer, the delay isn’t an issue for just flying...even with my rc sims. Do need a beefy gpu since you are going to be in 4K red. I have a 1070 and had no apparent issues.

My Media Room
Mains-Polk Audio RTi8, Center-Polk Audio CSi5, Surrounds-Polk Audio RTi4, Ceilings-Micca M-8C, Sub 1- UM18-22 (4cu.ft DIY) - iNuke 6000DSP Sub 2-Klipsch RW12D,
post #3316 of 4982 Old 05-27-2019, 05:52 PM

Quote:
I don't think it's bandwidth either, my w1070 never dropped on 1080 content, I'm hoping this is a firmware fix.

Appears your problem is different than mine but to be clear that by bandwidth what I meant was your download speed from the internet provider or just Netflix or a streaming company’s network temporarily flaking out this the projector losing the source.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Yeah we're talking about the bandwidth originating from a local source and going along the hdmi path. So I've been getting source drops while streaming local content, playing local games. Same with Netflix too though. I just eliminated one of my two copper HDMI cables that are connected to each end of the fiber cable. Seeing if that will fix this issue.
home4sale2 likes this.
post #3317 of 4982 Old 05-28-2019, 02:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontalley View Post

The first thing that comes to my mind is to activate the "high altitude" setting as that will increase the fan activity but on the flipside result in a more audible fan noise.

Curious, did you watch program content with your Optoma HD 33 with PureMotion frame interpolation "On" (and if yes, which setting and how do you feel about the FI performance of the HT3550 in comparison?)

(As a matter of fact, the PureMotion FI performance of the HD 33 is my reference point from which to evaluate the FI performance of others...)

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde
post #3318 of 4982 Old 05-28-2019, 07:33 AM

Alright, so I removed the two copper hdmi "patch" cables connecting up to both ends of the fiber one. Did not get any source drops afterwards, though it should be mentioned that I didn't watch for long. In the meantime, I took some comparison shots of Bladerunner 2049 comparing HD vs 4k HDR. Both uncompressed sources. Holy moly what a difference! Just take a look...

HD SDR

UHD HDR

HD SDR

UHD HDR
post #3319 of 4982 Old 05-28-2019, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank714 View Post
The first thing that comes to my mind is to activate the "high altitude" setting as that will increase the fan activity but on the flipside result in a more audible fan noise.

Curious, did you watch program content with your Optoma HD 33 with PureMotion frame interpolation "On" (and if yes, which setting and how do you feel about the FI performance of the HT3550 in comparison?)

(As a matter of fact, the PureMotion FI performance of the HD 33 is my reference point from which to evaluate the FI performance of others...)
FI is/was awesome on the HD33! I’m not sure as to what settings I had it on with the HD33 as once I calibrated it, I never really touched the settings again. It remained on for 8+ years without the fan noise being too distracting. Really was a jewel of a PJ!

HT3550 is butter smooth and looks great out of the box! I haven’t had a need/desire to mess with anything other than setting it up and trying to hush it up some. Not sure if FI is enabled by default?..If so then it’s on. If not then I don’t need it because this thing looks great out of the box! Even looks great in 1080p in silent mode.

Regarding the high altitude setting, I’d rather be hotter than have an engine jet on while trying to watch a flick! 🤣 Definitely going to build a hush/ventilation box for it as it’s mounted close to the back wall.

My Media Room
post #3320 of 4982 Old 05-28-2019, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Has anyone noticed the grey border on their model when playing in HDR mode?

I thought that this was only a feature of the old chipset, but I have definitely got it on my W2700 in that mode. Surely it isn't possible that some of the early ones came with a different chip?
post #3321 of 4982 Old 05-28-2019, 04:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Quoted: 2792 Post(s)
Liked: 2797
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb975 View Post

I thought that this was only a feature of the old chipset, but I have definitely got it on my W2700 in that mode. Surely it isn't possible that some of the early ones came with a different chip?

No.

Take a pic of what you’re experiencing.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #3322 of 4982 Old 05-29-2019, 01:28 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

Hello,

I notice this issue on mine. It's an April 2019 Rev 01-101. In France it appears that in France a April (or May?) 2019 Rev 01-102 is out. I don't know what the difference between these two
post #3323 of 4982 Old 05-29-2019, 02:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhornsk57 View Post
You're not the initial guinea pig here, as I can attest this thing works awesome with no issues.

My guinea pig remark referred to ordering from that Italian company whose link you provided. They charged an extra 25 € for DHL express delivery and I got the Xpand White Flash Converter yesterday.

However, while the power unit is multi-voltage (110 V - 240 V), it comes with a plug-in adapter plate, which in my case was the (correct) power-plug-in adapter plate for Continental Europe only (so in case anyone considers re-importing that little magic box to the US, you'll be needing a travel power-plug adapter)!

Decided to test it with my IMAX 3D Blu-ray of Jerusalem, as I did watch this one repeatedly over Easter with friends and visitors and because it has many black backgrounds and also features vintage black & white steroscopic images.

Put the Xpand White Flash Converter next to my Optoma HD83(00), changed the HD83's 3D mode from "VESA 3D" to "DLP LINK" and was happy to get instantaneous results with my 3D-RF glasses as you described.

However, all black backgrounds and shadow scenery had an annoying red tint to it which despite the many controls of my HD83 I wasn't able to get rid of (in 3D-RF all shows as black / dark grey).
Now, my HD83 is almost eight years old and the red tint could be owed to DLP Link performance back in 2011, but I'd really like to know how DLP Link looks with these latest BenQ projectors.

Has this red tint gone (improvements in DLP Link technology during the past years?) or is this something I have to anticipate once I retire my HD 83?

I did purchase the White Flash Converter to be somewhat future-proof, in case DLP Link is all that remains with upcoming DLP front projectors, but I'd like to keep the 3D-RF performance I've gotten used to.

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde

Last edited by Frank714; 05-29-2019 at 02:50 AM.
post #3324 of 4982 Old 05-29-2019, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
No.

Take a pic of what you’re experiencing.
Thanks. I thought that couldn't be the case!

It is quite difficult to get pictures of the border as it is very feint. Looking back at previous posts on this thread, it does appear that this is still an issue on the new chipset, just much less so than on the old one. Having seen an Optoma UHD51, the border is definitely feinter and narrower on the W2700/HT3550.

I'm not that worried about it as long as it is not a fault on my projector. It is a little bit annoying as I wasn't expecting it, but it isn't too bad.
post #3325 of 4982 Old 05-29-2019, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipitch59 View Post
Hello,

I notice this issue on mine. It's an April 2019 Rev 01-101. In France it appears that in France a April (or May?) 2019 Rev 01-102 is out. I don't know what the difference between these two
I don't know the difference between the hardware revisions either. Mine is 01-100 from March 2019.

In terms of the white border, I doubt that the later revisions will make any difference if it is inherent in the chipset itself. I had been led to believe by the reviews that this issue had been completely fixed for the new chipset, but it appears it has just been improved.
post #3326 of 4982 Old 05-29-2019, 06:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Hester View Post
Is this true of the HT3550 also (with different coverage percent of course):

Somewhat surprisingly, HDR10 with WCG turned on delivered a much smaller color volume with HDR content than the D. Cinema mode delivered with SDR wide color content. CalMan tests measured 101% of DCI-P3 as promised in D.Cinema with SDR test signals, but roughly 54% in HDR10 mode with Brilliant Color on and 57% with it off. In short, the test unit didn't provide 100% DCI-P3 coverage with HDR 4K Blu-ray discs, which is where you really want it. BenQ says that an upcoming firmware update will allow the HT5550 to deliver 100% coverage with Brilliant Color off, but that the HDR10 default setting will leave Brilliant Color on for better overall brightness and shadow detail at the cost of dropping DCI-P3 coverage to 84%. That new firmware is still in development at this writing, with no delivery date set.

Source:
https://www.projectorcentral.com/Ben...ce,-Conclusion

Display: Optoma UHD51A Projector > Elite Screens R135WH1 ezFrame | 7.2.4 Audio: Onkyo TX-RZ920 9.2ch Network A/V Receiver, M-5010 2ch Amplifier; Definitive Technology ProCenter 2000, ProMonitor 1000(x10), SuperCube I & 4000 | Sources: PC, DirecTV, Apple 4K, Fire Stick 4K, Oppo UDP-203, Chromecast & Roku Ultras, Xbox One X, PlayStation 4 Pro & Nintendo Switch | Remote: Harmony Elite | HDMI: 40' Monoprice DynamicView+4x1 Switch
post #3327 of 4982 Old 05-29-2019, 06:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 197
My replacement projector was waiting on my porch when I got home last night. I got it hooked up and was greeted with..... blue halos!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190528_210252_resized.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	375.3 KB
ID:	2573026   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190528_210114_resized.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	536.7 KB
ID:	2573028  
post #3328 of 4982 Old 05-29-2019, 07:30 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtlots View Post
My replacement projector was waiting on my porch when I got home last night. I got it hooked up and was greeted with..... blue halos!

I think there was other people with this problem earlier in this subject. I know that I've already seen this, but where ?
post #3329 of 4982 Old 05-29-2019, 07:50 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipitch59 View Post
Hello,

I don't know the difference between the hardware revisions either. Mine is 01-100 from March 2019.

In terms of the white border, I doubt that the later revisions will make any difference if it is inherent in the chipset itself. I had been led to believe by the reviews that this issue had been completely fixed for the new chipset, but it appears it has just been improved.
Check that keystone is off, it was on on my projector and created a border to correct the picture. Press the keystone button on the remote.
sage11x likes this.
post #3330 of 4982 Old 05-29-2019, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Quoted: 2792 Post(s)
Liked: 2797
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtlots View Post

It’s chromatic aberration. White text on a black background is worst case scenario. It’s hard to tell the severity of the issue in your pics. Can you see this with other material? Can you see this from your seat? If the answer is no to either of the prior questions then ask yourself: how much white text on a black background do I watch. If the answer is a lot then return it. Otherwise: enjoy your projector.

I guess what I’m trying to say is don’t let perfection be the enemy of good. The HT3550 is very, VERY good. At it’s price there isn’t anything that comes close to offering the color and HDR picture the HT3550 is capable of. The glass lens used in the HT3550 helps contribute to it’s superior color and contrast quality amongst it’s peers. But this is not a high dollar projector with exotic optics. While $1500 isn’t cheap it’s certainly on the bargain end of the 4K projector spectrum. Yes, this IS a budget 4K projector and the lens is likely the most costly component. If you go looking for things to ding it for you might find them.

Not saying anyone should accept a product that they are not happy with and I would never brush away serious performance concerns. But I’ve seen a lot of projectors with chromatic aberration and as long as the it’s not severe enough to be noticeable at normal seating distances I would recommend not worrying about it.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page