BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread - Page 115 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2960Likes

post #3421 of 5346 Old 05-31-2019, 09:46 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Whatever video you use as a demo just don't choose the video on the Youtube HDR channel called Fremont Seattle Solstace Parade 2017 in HDR. Yikes! Or maybe do use that as a demo if you are into that kind of thing lol.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3422 of 5346 Old 05-31-2019, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctalbot View Post

Note Youtube HDR videos won't work on the Nvidia Sheild (which I was shocked to discover). I'm playing this on a Roku Ultra connected through a Denon AVR-X1500H.

My 3550 arrived on Monday from Benq Direct, rev 01-101 manufactured in May. I've been pretty happy with the picture. It's sitting on the couch right now but I plan to set it up in the drop ceiling this weekend. You can hear the fan in regular mode but not in eco. I plan to keep it in eco mode since I have good light control in the basement. Those two photos were shot in eco mode.
Thanks, will check out those YouTube Videos too! I am using a Roku Ultra as well, connected through my Pioneer Elite (at work and can't remember the model #). Also using ECO mode due to the lower fan noise and it being ceiling mounted above my head. In the finished basement though, so lighting is no issue either!

I just wish one of you with a trained eye could check out my setup, as I keep wondering if the picture is what it should be. I am still justifying to myself the upgrade cost from the BenQ W1070 which worked great for the longest time.
post #3423 of 5346 Old 05-31-2019, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
I’m distinctly NOT in that camp.

For film I use the wide color filter probably 95% of the time. The only time I don’t use HDR10 wide color or D.Cinema is when I’m watching with some ambient light. Unfortunately for me I’ve gotten used to seeing red BE red and not that orange/red that passes for red in Rec709. So I’m not likely to go back to a limited color gamut projector anytime soon. At least not for film.

My screen is 100” so I don’t have the same lumen concerns as those members with monster size screens. At 100” the HT3550 is plenty bright with the filter engaged (assuming you’re watching in a dark room). You can also turn up the ‘HDR brightness’ if your room isn’t optimal or your screen is larger without much adverse effect on the image. Keep in mind my HT3550 is an early review sample and those being sold are actually brighter still.
Thank you for your observations. I just wanted to be sure. I personally would plan to use the wide color filter for film, HDR10 wide color most of the time and change it up during the day with more ambient light in the room: I like all of the Benq modes for different combinations of source & environments. Even though I'm using a 135" screen, I believe the HT3550 would do well for my situation seeing it's output (even with the filter) would be brighter than the Optoma HD33 I had several years ago with no complaints around image brightness.

I know the 'special' red you are referring to all too well. The wider color coverage and reduced light border are two things I'm eyeing the HT3550 for.

Any idea if/when HDR10+ may hit projectors?

Display: Optoma UHD51A Projector > Elite Screens R135WH1 ezFrame | 7.2.4 Audio: Onkyo TX-RZ920 9.2ch Network A/V Receiver, M-5010 2ch Amplifier; Definitive Technology ProCenter 2000, ProMonitor 1000(x10), SuperCube I & 4000 | Sources: PC, DirecTV, Apple 4K, Fire Stick 4K, Oppo UDP-203, Chromecast & Roku Ultras, Xbox One X, PlayStation 4 Pro & Nintendo Switch | Remote: Harmony Elite | HDMI: 40' Monoprice DynamicView+4x1 Switch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3424 of 5346 Old 05-31-2019, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 212 Post(s)
Quoted: 2896 Post(s)
Liked: 2909
BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonH View Post
After more testing I think I will try to go with the Medium Iris setting for most content. Its not completely 100% unnoticeable when its working but its pretty close. What BenQ seems to have done is adjust how far the iris can clamp down for each setting. Low closes the least while High is able to close the most. I'm not sure if the speed of it is also affected but the range definitely is. Low only offers a tiny bit of contrast improvement, but it is completely invisible in its action. Medium offers better blacks and is not quite invisible 100% of the time in its action but its not bad either. High has a little better black level than medium but its not considerably greater but its action is noticeable on a good deal of scenes if you look for it. It does seem to be a little smoother though and while you can see the brightness change, there is less "flicker". So I'm glad BenQ is giving us the option to pick because it definitely seems like some people are more sensitive to the iris behavior than others, and if you're not you can choose the high setting, and if you are, you can choose low or medium and still get some improvement vs turning it off completely. Nice going BenQ.

So I’m still (obviously) throwing content at this thing. But my initial impressions of the new iris settings are as follows:

I’m a big fan of the low iris setting. It’s not as aggressive and so doesn’t result in the same level of contrast/blacks as the middle or high setting but I have yet to see a single occurrence of iris pump/flicker even in the most challenging material. I therefore consider this a ‘free’ upgrade as you get a nice improvement in blacks/contrast with seemingly no downside. I can’t imagine even the pickiest viewers finding fault in this mode.

The middle iris setting gets a you a discernible increase in blacks/contrast but at the cost of some visible iris intervention. The middle setting seems to be the closest in performance to the prior ‘ON’ setting but without some of the former issues. For those that are catching up the prior iris firmware had a tendency to get flummoxed with high APL (bright) content resulting in a sort of seesawing action from the iris. This ‘flicker’ or pumping is largely absent in those scenes that caused the prior firmware fits. I think the middle iris setting will be popular as it offers excellent contrast performance that I doubt many viewers will find distracting.

The same can’t be said for the high setting. To my eye the high setting doesn’t offer much if any improvement in contrast/blacks over the middle setting. Even if it did the constant, visible iris intervention leaves it all but unusable for me.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Last edited by sage11x; 05-31-2019 at 11:40 AM.
post #3425 of 5346 Old 05-31-2019, 12:05 PM

Oops I replied to you post in the other thread but meant to reply to this one. I will repeat it here.

I think we came to very similar conclusions. I agree Low is great in that you don't notice it at all, so using at least that setting is a no brainer. I think I will try to stick with Medium though since it does seem to offer a little better blacks than Low and the amount of times I was able to notice it working was less and not as jarring as before with the original implementation. High might still work well for people that never saw a problem with how it worked before, but for me, I don't see enough improvement over Medium in contrast and it is has quite a bit more noticeable changes in brightness than Medium to make it not worth the compromise.
post #3426 of 5346 Old 05-31-2019, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi Guys, I got the the projector for over a month now. Can’t wait to get the new firmware, that half screen darker and project speaker keep coming on after reboot is quite annoying now when the overall package is so good. Can you guys share the firmware, pretty please? Thank you!
post #3427 of 5346 Old 05-31-2019, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

We’re clear to share the firmware ahead of the official release by BenQ but, unfortunately, my google drive isn’t cooperating. If no one posts it ahead of time I’ll upload it and share it once I get home. If you need it before then— reach out to BenQ customer care and they’ll supply you with a copy.
[email protected] likes this.

Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

post #3428 of 5346 Old 05-31-2019, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Oh you have the new firmware?
I think I'm gonna send it back and buy a new one. Model from may should be better? I have one of April 2019 rev 01-101 firmware 1.0.0
post #3429 of 5346 Old 05-31-2019, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Here is the firmware, sent to me by support. When they share it it's specific to an email address so I re-shared it myself with a sharing link that should hopefully work:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/einn00qpa2...mware.zip?dl=0

Edit: I should also specify that I don't know how to apply it. Like I don't know if you put the HT3550 Firmware.zip on a USB drive, or if you put the update_signed.zip that's within it on there instead. Maybe another user that has already updated can answer.
ctalbot, BrandonH, sage11x and 1 others like this.

Last edited by 2L84U; 05-31-2019 at 01:04 PM.
post #3430 of 5346 Old 05-31-2019, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhornsk57 View Post
Thanks.

Would really appreciate it, I don't know if to hold out or just get a replacement 3550. I'd really rather the bright version but I don't want to wait a year for one.

I have a response on this.

Mid to late Q3. Possibly before Cedia (which runs Sept 10-14). Will have more to share at the end of July.
longhornsk57 likes this.

post #3431 of 5346 Old 05-31-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2L84U View Post
Here is the firmware, sent to me by support. When they share it it's specific to an email address so I re-shared it myself with a sharing link that should hopefully work:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/einn00qpa2...mware.zip?dl=0

Edit: I should also specify that I don't know how to apply it. Like I don't know if you put the HT3550 Firmware.zip on a USB drive, or if you put the update_signed.zip that's within it on there instead. Maybe another user that has already updated can answer.
Put the update_signed.zip directly on your usb drive. Then select the firmware update from the projector menu. Make sure you give it plenty of time, it will go blank for several minutes before eventually continuing.

Brandon
hobbs47, sage11x, 2L84U and 1 others like this.
post #3432 of 5346 Old 05-31-2019, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

BenQ includes instructions.

Keep in mind you’ll need to unzip the first file and place the resulting file in the main directory of your USB drive. Select firmware update and the projector will handle the rest.

post #3433 of 5346 Old 05-31-2019, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by file8761 View Post
Looking for advice on your top movies to showcase this badboy HT3550 in all its glory. I just put in Mad Max Fury Road and was really blown away, I don't remember the movie looking this darn good. Any other suggestions? I also have tried Bumblebee, Avengers Infinity War, and Black Panther. Wondering what THE Movie is when you demo it for company. Thanks!
If you are somewhat versed in streaming. There is a large demo file that is available in a thread over at the designated theater construction. File is 250 GB, but I just downloaded it yesterday and holy crap, it includes everything! 4k, 1080P, Atmos, HDX, Dolby Digital, IMAX... EVERYTHING! I did it to be used when I get the projector installed, but I tried it with my OLED and 5.1.2 setup in the living room... AND WOW! Includes roughly over 50 clips from movies that include the best visuals and sound... also includes demo videos straight from Dolby and the like! SO so good!

Was super easy to do using a Nivida shield, so if you have that it makes it super easy.
file8761 likes this.
post #3434 of 5346 Old 05-31-2019, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
I have a response on this.

Mid to late Q3. Possibly before Cedia (which runs Sept 10-14). Will have more to share at the end of July.
Thanks a bunch, looking forward to it.
sage11x likes this.
post #3435 of 5346 Old 05-31-2019, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2L84U View Post
Here is the firmware, sent to me by support ...
Awesome, thank you for this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by russdornisch View Post
There is a large demo file that is available in a thread over at the designated theater construction ...

My google-fu is weak today, care to share a direct link
post #3436 of 5346 Old 05-31-2019, 06:26 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by glebonator View Post
My google-fu is weak today, care to share a direct link

I think he meant this one? https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...dtsx-more.html
post #3437 of 5346 Old 05-31-2019, 06:46 PM

Is there a release notes for the firmware? I downloaded the firmware but couldn't find one. I was curious if the firmware was just to address the dynamic iris issue. I've had random drops outs like others so wondered if this can be addressed.

By the way, I noticed there are android and google references in the zip file. Does this projector run Android/Linux?
post #3438 of 5346 Old 05-31-2019, 07:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1769 Post(s)
Liked: 5048
Hmm, just had something weird happen. Turned on pj like usual, and it started displaying the content(DtvNow) in a small rectangular image on the right side of the screen and was alternating between what looked like brilliant color on and off.
I powered it down and restarted and it is working ok now.
Kinda funky..
Going to test some iris settings now, then power it down and restart again to see if it acts up at all again.
post #3439 of 5346 Old 05-31-2019, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
Hmm, just had something weird happen. Turned on pj like usual, and it started displaying the content(DtvNow) in a small rectangular image on the right side of the screen and was alternating between what looked like brilliant color on and off.
I powered it down and restarted and it is working ok now.
Kinda funky..
Going to test some iris settings now, then power it down and restart again to see if it acts up at all again.
I have had that happen a few times, mine is now going very dark off and on. I tried to update firmware but it said there wasn't one on my USB not sure what happened it was unzipped but I'll try later
post #3440 of 5346 Old 05-31-2019, 08:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1769 Post(s)
Liked: 5048
Messed around with iris settings while watching Alpha uhd on vudu.
The difference between off and even low is very noticeable. Blacks are much improved.
I didn't really notice much difference between medium and high.
Didn't see any flickering but could hear the little "ticking" noise of the iris in medium and high. Wasn't bothersome at all though, even having the pj pretty much right above me.
Watched a few more hdr YouTube videos and everything worked and looked great.
Powered the pj down, let it sit a couple minutes and re powered it back on.
No weird screen issues or anything. Knock on wood lol
post #3441 of 5346 Old 05-31-2019, 10:56 PM

I was able to obtain some release notes on the 1.01 firmware from Benq.

1.       Optimizing DCI-P3 color table
2.       Improving Dynamic Iris by adding low/middle/high options
3.       Improving the low-frequency volume performance by adding HDMI Equalizer option
4.       Resolving the bug that some units cannot store the installation memory (ceiling or table type setup)

That number 3 item is curious, and I see there is an HDMI equalizer setting now in the menu. I've heard of HDMI equalizers being used in extenders, repeaters and active cables but not in display devices. Hopefully it's something that improves connections on weak HDMI signals, I'm not exactly sure what low frequency volume performance means and how that setting which can be switched between Auto and about 30 specific levels helps with that.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Keith AP likes this.
post #3442 of 5346 Old 06-01-2019, 12:03 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Do anyone knows if the new FW also works on the W2700?

Thanks for relying it anyway changes are really important.
post #3443 of 5346 Old 06-01-2019, 03:29 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 66
[QUOTE=pviader;58126120]Do anyone knows if the new FW also works on the W2700?[QUOTE]

As above! Although TBH mine is running very well - but will be nice to see the back of the split screen and the iris settings are a decent bonus,
Absolutely no regrets re my purchase - for the price it's a great bit of kit
post #3444 of 5346 Old 06-01-2019, 04:12 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfelicio View Post
Has anyone been able to successfully display HDR content in RGB Mode with an AMD card?

When I select RGB 4:4:4 10 bit, and try to enable HDR (either via windows or madvr), I get a green tint on the screen.

The problem does not happen with ycbCr. Very odd. I'll try with an Nvidia card later, and also remove the receiver (Denon X3500H) out of the loop to see if I can narrow down the issue.
Hi, did you find a solution to this? I’m also having problem with hdr movies gets a green tint when playing on my htpc with a Nvidia 1060 as graphic card.

Last edited by mR_Mo; 06-01-2019 at 07:54 AM. Reason: Edit: Nvidia 1060, not 1660
post #3445 of 5346 Old 06-01-2019, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 816 Post(s)
Liked: 415
I am not sure if I see a difference with Dynamic Iris On/Off including the new FW. I also don’t here any “clicking”. Have these units been reported that DI is not working? Is the effect subtle or should I be “seeing” a dramatic difference?

Ceilings white, walls grey, screen is Silver Ticket 110” White and Room is light controlled.

Also, WCG is just awful. I just can’t see a reason why it’s a setting at all...

Finally, with the Gamma settings, the settings either don’t change or change after I scroll through a couple of times. What is the BenQ setting? It seems to be brighter (best?) for my room.

Wondering if my unit is bad. 🥺

Overall, the PQ is good but not great.

My Media Room
AVR 1-Yamaha RX-A3050 (7.2.4), AVR 2 Pioneer VSX-815-K(Used for 4ch Amp TF+TR)
Mains-Polk Audio RTi8, Center-Polk Audio CSi5, Surrounds-Polk Audio RTi4, Ceilings-Micca M-8C, Sub 1- UM18-22 (4cu.ft DIY) - iNuke 6000DSP, Sub 2-Klipsch RW12D
Projector-BenQ 3550 4K, Screen-110" Silver Ticket STR-169110, TV-Vizio P-65 4K
post #3446 of 5346 Old 06-01-2019, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by mR_Mo View Post
Hi, did you find a solution to this? I’m also having problem with hdr movies gets a green tint when playing on my htpc with a Nvidia 1060 as graphic card.

With the new firmware I definitely notice less green hues, see my note earlier. My HTPC is too old to do HDR but use an app on my UHD player so perhaps your issue is different

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3447 of 5346 Old 06-01-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian18 View Post
I have had that happen a few times, mine is now going very dark off and on. I tried to update firmware but it said there wasn't one on my USB not sure what happened it was unzipped but I'll try later

Unzip the FW file on your pc. Only copy the update signed zip file to the USB (don’t extract it). Stick it into the USB 3.0 port and try an update

post #3448 of 5346 Old 06-01-2019, 08:56 AM

I can report that for the first time I had that weird vertical split screen which went away with recycling wcg off and on. This is with the new firmware.

That low frequency timeout could be related to fixing the buffering issue which caused it to lose the source.

The pic quality has definitely improved but majority of my content I have watched has been HDR and it turns DI off

post #3449 of 5346 Old 06-01-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rontalley View Post

Also, WCG is just awful. I just can’t see a reason why it’s a setting at all...

Felt the same way but then I stuck to it and now I must be used to mediocrity if you’re correct. I can’t watch wcg off on HDR content anymore, everything seems to blow up and color accuracy suffers. Good thing the projector offers settings for both so pick and choose.

post #3450 of 5346 Old 06-01-2019, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
[QUOTE=rontalley;58126788]I am not sure if I see a difference with Dynamic Iris On/Off including the new FW. I also don’t here any “clicking”. Have these units been reported that DI is not working? Is the effect subtle or should I be “seeing” a dramatic difference?

I do not see any differance either or hear anything, I'm also wondering if the DI is working but I have not heard any other reports such as this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page