BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread - Page 119 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2927Likes

post #3541 of 5245 Old 06-04-2019, 04:51 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
Do you work for Epson?

I've never seen someone argue so adamantly that the pixel fill has no effect to the image, to me it is the complete and total opposite, especially with scope screens and having to use Lens Memory + Zoom.
Think about this way. If you're seating at x amount of feet from your x sized screen and you cannot see any pixel gaps.. what's the problem?

I said before I can see a hint of it during bright ice fields and sky scenes but it's not bad enough to pull out of the movie.. I went a little large or sat closer (same thing) I'd be upset that I'm seeing it even with their 4K enhancement thing turned on. But this new model is pretty darn good in that regard for an LCD. Better than the 5040 from 2 years ago. They've improved it, not by that much, but I notice these little improvements.. It's that or I just for the 6050 which has the better lens.. maybe that's what I'm seeing. But this is the first time I've heard Epson giving the one projector the standard lens and the black version the better lens.. I see why, aim the black model at dedicated cinemas where customers are more fussy.

I discovered a trick the other week with the Epson, you go one gears click past what you'd think is perfect focus and it reduces the pixel gap line by a good 20-30% without effecting the image clarity and sharpness. It's almost like that's the perfect tooth on the focus gear to use, but of course it's just 'the focus' according to Epson. If they numbered the focus with a 0-100 or whatever, you could do two things better - check for focus drift and find the sweet spot each time. I love this epson and I've been a JVC owner since the beginning. I'm not bias toward any brand, I will only ever speak truth about them.

And yeah the JVC's are plenty bright enough too for hdr. I know Javs won't part with his X9500 from last year any time soon. And I'd use a 2nd hand X9500 as my main projector over anything else too. The RS or X series were the best range of cinema projectors at realistic prices ever made. I just hope to God the N series sorts itself out before they implode.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3542 of 5245 Old 06-04-2019, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurecode View Post
Back from vacation and after some quick finagling and some mount Frankensteining have it up and running.

Picture is great, brightness is better than expected and while it is loud i really don't mind it all that much .... two HUGE fingerprints on the lens, luck my wife is photographer and she keeps a ton of lens tissue in stock.

But the loudness did clue me in on something, I kept hearing the Pixel Shifting randomly turning on and off. It will run fine, chugging along with it drull hum, then I just randomly hear it kick off and on at random intervals. Anyone else experiencing this?

Settings are essentially out of the box settings, it is updated to the newest firmware that has been floating around here

Check the video of the issue here:

https://youtu.be/_wEabUfF9F0
Bumping my own post ... is anyone else experiencing this issue?

Beer Massif/ve Beers :: U.S. based windbag who won't shut up about beer :: Lord Commander of the Beer Massif Podcast ::youtube.com/massivebeers
BenQ W1070 | 100" Dalite Fixed Screen
Onkyo NR-676 | BIC America: DV64 Towers : DV62CLR-S Center : DV62si Surrounds : V1020 Sub
Intel 2600k at 4.6GHZ w/ Asus GTX1070 | Playstation 4 | Playstation 3
post #3543 of 5245 Old 06-04-2019, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by pviader View Post
BTW: rontalley, sorry if I'm wrong, just my two cents, it seems like your source is not sending HDR, HDR10 is the mode with HDR Signals not Cinema or any other.
Ok, I put the Fire Stick 4K directly into the AVR and PQ didn’t change. Maybe I got a bad HDR factory calibration. I don’t think I can use the Disney Wow disc for HDR calibration. Thinking I’ll hire a professional to calibrate my PJ. 1080p looks AMAZING!

My Media Room
AVR 1-Yamaha RX-A3050 (7.2.4), AVR 2 Pioneer VSX-815-K(Used for 4ch Amp TF+TR)
Mains-Polk Audio RTi8, Center-Polk Audio CSi5, Surrounds-Polk Audio RTi4, Ceilings-Micca M-8C, Sub 1- UM18-22 (4cu.ft DIY) - iNuke 6000DSP, Sub 2-Klipsch RW12D
Projector-BenQ 3550 4K, Screen-110" Silver Ticket STR-169110, TV-Vizio P-65 4K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3544 of 5245 Old 06-04-2019, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 206 Post(s)
Quoted: 2861 Post(s)
Liked: 2879
BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread

Quote:
It sounds more like calibration or tone mapping issues I'm guessing, as I've never seen this occur too much in threads where the projectors have near perfect HDR + WCG + Tone Mapping (newer JVC's). I read this projector was only able to do 60% or so of the actual wider gamut, not even close to the 100% claimed.

However, that was an early firmware, so I don't know.

Sorry, I zoned out for the last day as the thread took a side trip to the magical land of Oz.

I want to go on record as really liking the WCG modes. Of which this projector has essentially two: D. Cinema for SDR content and HDR10 with the wide color gamut feature enabled for, obviously, HDR10 content. To my eye there is no question the projector performs at it’s best in those picture modes. This is immediately obvious in the projectors rendering of red hues and you get a boost to contrast/blacks as well.

The issue, of course, is the filter cuts lumens by a substantial amount. Now, I want to be careful here to not step on any toes. I think people have preferences for picture quality and picture brightness and those preferences are valid. But here’s the thing: I have a pretty lackluster room. My ‘theater’ is an apartment living room with medium walls, medium carpet, and white ceilings (although I have 9ft ceilings so that helps). I have black out curtains behind blinds so I have decent control of light getting into the room but during the day it’s still not 100% black. My screen is a 100” neutral white. EVEN in this environment, my preferred mode to watch films is D. Cinema / HDR10 WCG with the lamp in ECO and the iris in low. I really don’t get how people think this thing is too dim. If it’s during the day or I have a light on someplace in the apartment I’ll switch off the filter and just run in Cinema or HDR10 with the lamp still in eco.

Maybe it’s because I’m a former plasma fan. Or maybe it’s because I’ve never had the desire to watch movies in anything less than a dark room. But I don’t have any issues with the HT3550’s lumen output. Some might find the image too dim with the filter engaged and I respect that. But sometimes I think people are too eager to equate bright with good. The W1070 / HT2050 is a standard for a lot of folks here and it’s important to remember that those projectors are VERY bright. When I owned an HT2050 I didn’t even use the contrast boosting smart eco lamp dimming because the setting was simply too bright. My HT2050 stayed in eco all of the time. For me, the filter and lower lumen output is not something to get used to or endure— it’s a FEATURE that I really enjoy and gives the projector more flexibility to suit a wider variety of uses/rooms.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Last edited by sage11x; 06-04-2019 at 09:27 AM.
post #3545 of 5245 Old 06-04-2019, 09:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontalley View Post
Ok, I put the Fire Stick 4K directly into the AVR and PQ didn’t change. Maybe I got a bad HDR factory calibration. I don’t think I can use the Disney Wow disc for HDR calibration. Thinking I’ll hire a professional to calibrate my PJ. 1080p looks AMAZING!
If it serves, my Fire stick 4k has been a bit picky with HDR, yesterday Netflix Discovery rised the HDR flag but other times it does not, normally I see the difference and hear the short noise of WGC filter begin put on as it is my default with HDR, other times I don't see it right and I have to check the PJ menu to see that it is not sending HDR. (and so it goes to Cinema instead of HDR10)

Anyway I've also checked connected to my 4k/HDR TV and it does the same, so it is maybe related to the internet speed (and depending on my family usage of it )

On the other hand Kodi side loaded in the Fire worked OK and the image is fantastic with the few UHD/HDR rips I have (using a very good/close 5G Wifi signal) and I find it better after 1.0.1 with WGC and BC on, although purist may say otherwise.

Hope you find the good combination and start enjoying it instead of setting it up (but I recognize it gives also some fun)
rontalley likes this.
post #3546 of 5245 Old 06-04-2019, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

What does BC stand for?

My Media Room
Mains-Polk Audio RTi8, Center-Polk Audio CSi5, Surrounds-Polk Audio RTi4, Ceilings-Micca M-8C, Sub 1- UM18-22 (4cu.ft DIY) - iNuke 6000DSP, Sub 2-Klipsch RW12D
post #3547 of 5245 Old 06-04-2019, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rontalley View Post
What does BC stand for?

Brilliant Color.

Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

post #3548 of 5245 Old 06-04-2019, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I’m not sure what I’m looking at.

post #3549 of 5245 Old 06-04-2019, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
I’m not sure what I’m looking at.
At the five second and at the eight second mark you can see what looks like the projector going from Pixel Shift (4K) mode into Silent mode (1080P) and back again. The projector is being fed a 3840 x 2160 resolution. This randomly happens with no rhyme or reason and you can hear the audible hum of the Pixel Shifting turning off when it shows the individual/1080p image.

I've attached still's of the video showing the issue if that helps.

Beer Massif/ve Beers :: U.S. based windbag who won't shut up about beer :: Lord Commander of the Beer Massif Podcast ::youtube.com/massivebeers
Onkyo NR-676 | BIC America: DV64 Towers : DV62CLR-S Center : DV62si Surrounds : V1020 Sub

Last edited by futurecode; 06-04-2019 at 10:46 AM.
post #3550 of 5245 Old 06-04-2019, 11:01 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Sorry, I zoned out for the last day as the thread took a side trip to the magical land of Oz.

I want to go on record as really liking the WCG modes. Of which this projector has essentially two: D. Cinema for SDR content and HDR10 with the wide color gamut feature enabled for, obviously, HDR10 content. To my eye there is no question the projector performs at it’s best in those picture modes. This is immediately obvious in the projectors rendering of red hues and you get a boost to contrast/blacks as well.

The issue, of course, is the filter cuts lumens by a substantial amount. Now, I want to be careful here to not step on any toes. I think people have preferences for picture quality and picture brightness and those preferences are valid. But here’s the thing: I have a pretty lackluster room. My ‘theater’ is an apartment living room with medium walls, medium carpet, and white ceilings (although I have 9ft ceilings so that helps). I have black out curtains behind blinds so I have decent control of light getting into the room but during the day it’s still not 100% black. My screen is a 100” neutral white. EVEN in this environment, my preferred mode to watch films is D. Cinema / HDR10 WCG with the lamp in ECO and the iris in low. I really don’t get how people think this thing is too dim. If it’s during the day or I have a light on someplace in the apartment I’ll switch off the filter and just run in Cinema or HDR10 with the lamp still in eco.

Maybe it’s because I’m a former plasma fan. Or maybe it’s because I’ve never had the desire to watch movies in anything less than a dark room. But I don’t have any issues with the HT3550’s lumen output. Some might find the image too dim with the filter engaged and I respect that. But sometimes I think people are too eager to equate bright with good. The W1070 / HT2050 is a standard for a lot of folks here and it’s important to remember that those projectors are VERY bright. When I owned an HT2050 I didn’t even use the contrast boosting smart eco lamp dimming because the setting was simply too bright. My HT2050 stayed in eco all of the time. For me, the filter and lower lumen output is not something to get used to or endure— it’s a FEATURE that I really enjoy and gives the projector more flexibility to suit a wider variety of uses/rooms.
I'm going to try WCG again, but quick question if you have BC on or off? Want to try to replicate your settings, as I have not yet taken a liking to the WCG mode of this projector. Thanks!
post #3551 of 5245 Old 06-04-2019, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLPdisciple View Post
Had to post after some of the comments - This is in the sub $3000 section therefore most of those looking are looking at a tighter budget … it's also the HT3550 thread so most of us will be looking to see how good/ bad it is compared to projectors in a SIMILAR price range!

Marketing hype is a given for ANY projector hence why we read reviews/ haunt forums etc. and the whole 'it's not real 4K' has been covered in many articles and forum discussions - please give some of us credit for making our choices based on a decent amount of research.

For some of us spending $1500 on a Projector is a big deal and that sometimes means buying a cheap 4K projector or NO 4K projector if $1500 is the max you can afford / are willing to spend.
I happily admit to being in this group and having done the research paid my money and am pleased with the result as it is a step up from my last 1080p projector as I get 4K, WCG and dynamic iris - is it the best projector? Hell no, but it's the best for what I was willing (and able) to spend.

Expectations for this projector were high and perhaps some people expected too much, but it's a decent enough bit of kit at the price although I can't help feel that the first batch were rushed out the door hence those having genuine issues with the early units.

Mine is in no way perfect but it seems the new firmware will sort the split screen issue and the fan noise is there but only a pain in the quiet moments - but you do get what you pay for!
All great points! My purchasing the HT3550 automatically put me in a 4K upgrade loop. But, at only $1500 I had money left to upgrade the rest of my system. My several year H/K receiver wasn't able to pass 4K and my older Oppo DVD player was already behind the times. I was able to purchase the HT3550 projector, a refurbished Marantz SR-6012 receiver, a Sony UBP-X800 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player, and all new HDMI cables for $500 less than going with any projector in the $3000 plus forum! Am I happy with my "upgraded" system? Hell ya!
post #3552 of 5245 Old 06-04-2019, 02:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Yes, this has happened to me on both my original unit and on my replacement unit (even after the firmware update). It happens far less frequently on my replacement unit so I've just learned to deal with it.
post #3553 of 5245 Old 06-04-2019, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by file8761 View Post
I'm going to try WCG again, but quick question if you have BC on or off? Want to try to replicate your settings, as I have not yet taken a liking to the WCG mode of this projector. Thanks!

I actually don’t remember. I want to say brilliant color on.

post #3554 of 5245 Old 06-04-2019, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mR_Mo View Post
Yes, Rgb, 60 hz and 8bit hdr is working with Blu-ray 4K rips for me now. But I have madvr match the movie refresh rate so then the correct setting is rgb, 12bit and 23 or 24 hz usually, and that works for Blu-ray 4K rips.
Using mpc-be, madvr and standard mpc filters. See screenshots attached with madvr info.

Followed settings as

But I still have green on some movies which is not Blu-ray 4K rips but still 4K hdr. They work ok with ycbcr 444 24hz. Maybe this projector has problems with RGB and hdr as JVC projectors according to the link above. “Note: Sending RGB (full or limited) to the display may not work well in some special circumstances. For example, some displays have problems receiving RGB inputs with HDR metadata (like some JVC projectors) and must operate in YCbCr instead of RGB. If you are getting strange tints to the image, this could be you.”
I recomend 4K + YCBCR 444 + 12Bit + 30Hz... best quality by far.... RGB use REC709 which is not as good as bt2020 or DCI-P3....

Is there anyway in windows to get DCI-P3 instead of bt2020 and REC709 (RGB) ¿?

TY !!
post #3555 of 5245 Old 06-04-2019, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
I actually don’t remember. I want to say brilliant color on.
What is brilliant colour anyway? Why do they have it? and what purpose does it serve?
post #3556 of 5245 Old 06-04-2019, 02:52 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I find that WGC looks better with HDR videos on Youtube, but for movies I still prefer it off as I think the image "pops" more.

This is a good one to use to compare for different colors -
subacabra likes this.

7.2.4 BenQ/Marantz/HTD/Micca/SVS/Dayton
post #3557 of 5245 Old 06-04-2019, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by oztheatre View Post
What is brilliant colour anyway? Why do they have it? and what purpose does it serve?
I use WCG with HDR movie (Deadpool 2 tonight).
I you want to try my settings :
With HDR10 : 50 every and 15 sharpess, color temp hot :
Gr 114, gg 103, GB 106, r 262, g 256, b 249 (g = gain)
Cinema master : pixel enhancer 5, motion off
Iris off (even with setting low, I see the "pump" effect, I can't stand it.
BC : off (you'll try with and without. With it's like a yellow filter. Madam say the same, it's not just me!)
Lamp : eco

Try and tell me if you like it.
oztheatre likes this.
post #3558 of 5245 Old 06-04-2019, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaded21 View Post
I find that WGC looks better with HDR videos on Youtube, but for movies I still prefer it off as I think the image "pops" more.

This is a good one to use to compare for different colors - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESxn1cLz-Ig
Will this video play with in 4K HDR using a FireStick 4K?

My Media Room
post #3559 of 5245 Old 06-04-2019, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Unhappy

I got my W2700 today (UK distribution), rev 01-100, mfg. April

First impression: I don't really like it

A while ago I was ranting about how disappointed I was with Optoma UHD40 (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post55800722), but somehow this projector made me appreciate UHD40 more.... In fact, I purchased UHD300X (pretty much same thing as UHD40/50) for relatively silly money from Amazon some time ago (£600 or so) just as a stopgap before my dream W2700 is released, but when doing comparison side by side between those two the reality is rather disappointing...

My main problems/comments about this thing:

1. The projector has got the same crappy ~600:1 contrast as all the other XPR DLP 0.47" '4K' chips, visibly worse than venerable W1070 it is supposed to replace - 'second generation' of the chip does not change anything. I hoped iris would make a big difference, but the impact is really cosmetic... And the 'light border' was never a problem in my setup (motorized screen)

2. The resolution of native 4K signal is somehow visibly worse
(even with '4K Enchancer' bumped up to the max) than el cheapo UHD300X.
And CAs are off the chart....

Example (all photos here were made with the same locked camera exposure and distance):

3. In HDR mode tone mapping (at least with default settings) is visibly brighter / washed out than in case of UHD300X:

Not sure if this is good or bad thing at this point, this probably can be tweaked in settings though.

4. I had a big hopes for WCG, but this mode is... weird.

It is supposed to expand the gamut, which generally means more saturated colors, but the filter visibly reduces brightness in the process, which means colors are perceived to be actually less saturated/rich...

I think that once your eyes get used to reduced brightness, you might be able to appreciate expanded gamut in some way, but personally I think the brightness cost for me is not worth it, especially as I use grey DIY 'black widow' (it is rather deep shade of grey) screen @110" (fully light controlled man-cave).
Also, WCG with BC enabled at the same time seems to be broken, it makes entire screen greenish (there is this odd hue/cast) - maybe fixed in new FW?

Good thing:

1. The noise is not too bad (yes, in normal mode), I was expecting vaccum-cleaner level after reading some feedback here, but it is not much louder than UHD300X and much quieter than noise cannon which W1070 was. No weird XPR sounds to on my unit either. Iris work is somewhat audible, but not a big deal (and considering how little impact it has got on actual contrast, you might as well just turn it off...).

To summarize, I had a really high hopes for this projector, wanted it to be the holly grail of and worthy upgrade from W1070.

And just to make it clear, it is not like the projector is horrible and unusable, in fact it can deliver some pretty spectacular picture - it is just not the upgrade I hoped it to be, after years of waiting for something at least as good in terms of contrast as W1070 and trying various 4K DLP models. I would even go for crazy JVC unit in this pursue for the absolute, but need really show throw in my setup...

I am just not sure why people are raving so much about this projector, sadly it has got the same crappy contrast as any other 0.47" DLP from the past years, WCG is unfortunately borderline unusable, iris barely contributes to contrast improvement, sharpness and CAs are a massive letdown and objectively really bad, even when compared to older budget models. I guess upgradable firmware is a plus? (in 2019, cough cough..) And the throw is not massively better than UHD40/50/300X, if you are after short one.

If you want cheap 4K projector now, just get something like UHD300X for fraction of the price of this Benq - you won't be missing anything, believe me.

I will likely be sending it back, possibly tempted to try new firmware, but I do not think it is out yet for EU W2700 model? (and even if it is, it is not going to fix inferior sharpness/CAs...)
post #3560 of 5245 Old 06-04-2019, 04:58 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by vombat View Post

First impression: I don't really like it [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif[/IMG]
Well at least you're consistent:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post55800722

I hope you find a projector that makes you happy someday!
sparky7 and sage11x like this.
post #3561 of 5245 Old 06-04-2019, 05:15 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked: 1360
Quote:

First impression: I don't really like it

If you want cheap 4K projector now, just get something like UHD300X for fraction of the price of this Benq - you won't be missing anything, believe me.
I will likely be sending it back, possibly tempted to try new firmware, but I do not think it is out yet for EU W2700 model? (and even if it is, it is not going to fix inferior sharpness/CAs...)
Maybe you just need to calibrate it better, or maybe you got a bad unit...
Some of those shots look like a video level (or tone) mapping problem there is so much difference, don't think that has anything to do with contrast, as that would just be ANSI contrast in which your room is probably limited to 200:1 or less anyhow and is a separate issue.

Edit
Oh I was going to recommend a used JVC, but you said you need a short throw
My bad...

Also, did you actually measure the thing at 600:1 Native?

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --

Last edited by coderguy; 06-04-2019 at 05:39 PM.
post #3562 of 5245 Old 06-04-2019, 07:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Is there no way to get into a calibration mode to try and fix the CA like I'm able to with my rear projection TV?
post #3563 of 5245 Old 06-04-2019, 07:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oztheatre View Post

That’s actually a good question.

The long story is: it’s complicated. The short story is: it’s a TI technology designed to improve the efficiency of the projector.

Originally, brilliant color denoted a processing and hardware difference. Brilliant color equipped projectors made use of some or all of the subtractive colors (cyan, magenta and yellow) on their color wheels to produce a brighter image with, in theory, a greater color gamut than the RGB only competition of the day.

Over time the feature evolved and these days almost all DLP projectors employ brilliant color in one way or another. Even RGBRGB projectors that lack the extra primaries. While the feature works a little bit differently on each projector, in most every case the feature adds lumens (efficiency) at some cost to white/color balance.

In the case of the HT3550 and HT5550, BenQ specifically designed the projector to be used with the brilliant color feature enabled in HDR. I just checked on my own HT3550 and, yes, I have BC enabled and I would advise leaving it that way (it’s the default setting in HDR) especially if you plan to use the wide color filter.
oztheatre, NxNW, subacabra and 1 others like this.

post #3564 of 5245 Old 06-04-2019, 09:38 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Also, WCG with BC enabled at the same time seems to be broken, it makes entire screen greenish (there is this odd hue/cast) - maybe fixed in new FW?
absolute, but need really show throw in my setup...
)
Certainly some of your problems like this one with WCG and BC are solved in the new FW I have the same rev and the new fw solved this and provide much better colors wih WCG+BC, now is my default setting for HDR.
post #3565 of 5245 Old 06-04-2019, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theagent View Post
Is there no way to get into a calibration mode to try and fix the CA like I'm able to with my rear projection TV?
Nope, they are two very different types of issues.

CA issues are from the symmetry of the glass in the lens or the alignment of varying lens elements in coordination with the light path.
Placing the projector at a farther throw distance might reduce it some.
theagent likes this.

post #3566 of 5245 Old 06-05-2019, 12:02 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxNW View Post
Well at least you're consistent:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post55800722

I hope you find a projector that makes you happy someday!
Thank you, I really ust want something with contrast of W1070, but with 4k resolution...
With my grey screen, w1070 (which can do 1400:1 with BC) looks like a beautiful giant plasma display.

This feeling is completely lost with all those 0.47 4k projectors - it is a washed out mess in comparison. I posted some samples in my previous UHD40 feedback. The difference is massive when you have got to side by side.

I will measure the exact contrast of w2700 with colorimeter later today, but it look pretty much exactly as UHD300X, so I expect it to be within 600:1 region of 0.47 chips.
post #3567 of 5245 Old 06-05-2019, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Thank you, I really ust want something with contrast of W1070, but with 4k resolution...
With my grey screen, w1070 (which can do 1400:1 with BC) looks like a beautiful giant plasma display.

This feeling is completely lost with all those 0.47 4k projectors - it is a washed out mess in comparison. I posted some samples in my previous UHD40 feedback. The difference is massive when you have got to side by side.

I will measure the exact contrast of w2700 with colorimeter later today, but it look pretty much exactly as UHD300X, so I expect it to be within 600:1 region of 0.47 chips.
I'm not sure I follow this, Native Contrast mostly affects only really dark scenes or blackouts (rolling credits). If you feel your every day images in movies have a contrast issue, it sounds like a gamma problem. Also, did you check a basic Pluge pattern to make sure you aren't crushing the black floor?

Are you in a fully light controlled room?

I mean I have a JVC right here that is outputting over 30k:1 Native (over 20x your w1070), and I also have a Benq w7000 which has a native around 700:1 - 800:1 or so, and the difference is still only in dark scenes between the 2 projectors.

Having a projector with 1400:1 Native certainly doesn't fully solve the issue, you need at least 3000:1 to 5000:1 or closer to an Epson 5040ub to start seeing richer blacks, and even then it still leaves quite a bit on the table. BTW, I am in a dedicated black pit of a room with Triple Black Velvet covering the room (ceiling + walls), and the rest of the room is covered by other black materials. I have black shag rugs, I am literally in a black hole cave.

Even all my LED lights from equipment are blacked out, and both my projectors are black
I watch movies with black pants and black shirt, the only white left in the room is my sorry old face...

Last edited by coderguy; 06-05-2019 at 12:45 AM.
post #3568 of 5245 Old 06-05-2019, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
the only white left in the room is my sorry old face...
How's about your soul ?
post #3569 of 5245 Old 06-05-2019, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2L84U View Post
Yes, this has happened to me on both my original unit and on my replacement unit (even after the firmware update). It happens far less frequently on my replacement unit so I've just learned to deal with it.
This is really disheartening.

I dig the projector as a whole. Sure it louder, but no that loud. Sure there is a touch of CA but not ton on mine. Sure there is a bit of a uniformity/distortion/fish-eye effect when using a lot of lens shift but I can deal. and there is a bit of sharpness uniformity problem in upper left hand corner but not horrific. But THIS is a pretty bad flaw ... a deal breaker for me. When I was watching some content last night I had to turn into silence mode as the projector was jumping in and out of pixel shift mode every 1-20 seconds or so that if be came super annoying and I couldn't help but fixate on the sound changes .(see youtube video below)

I'm assuming this is a very limited issue as you're the only one to comment on this flaw, in process of talking to Benq about it so hopefully it gets resolved.

I've tried several different sources signals along with a fire stick plugged directly into the projector so I'm pretty sure it's the HT3550 and not a device or signal issue.

Ever if this happens every now and then I view it as unacceptable as that means the projector isn't providing the advertised picture quality, at least on a constant basis.

post #3570 of 5245 Old 06-05-2019, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Is there any possibility for a future gaming mode added with a new firmware?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page