BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread - Page 124 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2330Likes

post #3691 of 4164 Old 06-09-2019, 12:00 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Also sorry would a portable floor rising screen fall down or move if a ceiling fan was on ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3692 of 4164 Old 06-09-2019, 02:17 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by ng4ever View Post
Has anyone tried this projector on any portable floor rising screen yet ?

Specifically this one if possible.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ble_Front.html

I been debating if I should get it or not.

How will 4k come out on it? Will it have wrinkles anywhere? Thanks.
A non tensioned screen is susceptible to wrinkles, especially over time. Some come that way out of the box.
Check out the customer pictures on this page: https://www.amazon.com/Elite-Screens.../dp/B001A7Z7CS

Regarding the fabric (MaxWhite 1.1 Gain), it's an ok white screen. Sage owns one which is used in his review I believe: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...or-review.html

Also 150" is pushing it for this projector model.

Quote:
Also sorry would a portable floor rising screen fall down or move if a ceiling fan was on ?
According to the specification sheet the net weight is 20.2 kg/44.5 lbs: https://elitescreens.com/images/down...5_ezcinema.pdf
It has some floor stabilization components: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1izVu5DNnS.pdf

Probably won't tip, but can't be sure.

Last edited by noob00224; 06-09-2019 at 07:07 AM.
post #3693 of 4164 Old 06-09-2019, 08:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wink hush box

Quote:
Originally Posted by mR_Mo View Post
Can you give more details about the hush box please? Fans used, how they are powered, holes for the cables in the back, IR to the projector, what glass in front of the lens...?

Hi, yes of course.

I used three of these fans: Noctua NF-A12x25 FLX 120mm, one for the intake of air and two for the outtake. As power sopply I bought in Amazon Yaiza model zf120A-240 vac 50/60 hz 0,3A output 12 vdc, 1000mA power 12 watts max.

I made just one hole in the back for the cables and one up for the holder.

I used Pawlonia wood because is very light (I didn´t want to add more weight than necessary) and of course soundproofing foam.

I also used hinges in the downside to be able to open it and acces the pj while it is in the ceiling just in case.

The glass I put is just big enough for the IR and 1 centimeter thick. Otherwise a normal glass.

It is work but not a big deal. It is important you leave enough space in the box for the foams and the air.

If you needed anything else just tell me!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	powersupply.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	2577936   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2629.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	2.27 MB
ID:	2577938   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2668.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	826.5 KB
ID:	2577940   Click image for larger version

Name:	Noctua.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	2577942  
curtlots, mR_Mo and Ogiv like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3694 of 4164 Old 06-09-2019, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
I have an Elite Screens FEB106H floor rising screen in storage. A ceiling fan has no impact on it.
post #3695 of 4164 Old 06-09-2019, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmycit View Post
Hi, yes of course.

I used three of these fans: Noctua NF-A12x25 FLX 120mm, one for the intake of air and two for the outtake. As power sopply I bought in Amazon Yaiza model zf120A-240 vac 50/60 hz 0,3A output 12 vdc, 1000mA power 12 watts max.

I made just one hole in the back for the cables and one up for the holder.

I used Pawlonia wood because is very light (I didn´t want to add more weight than necessary) and of course soundproofing foam.

I also used hinges in the downside to be able to open it and acces the pj while it is in the ceiling just in case.

The glass I put is just big enough for the IR and 1 centimeter thick. Otherwise a normal glass.

It is work but not a big deal. It is important you leave enough space in the box for the foams and the air.

If you needed anything else just tell me!
Wouldn't the glass impede image quality though?
post #3696 of 4164 Old 06-09-2019, 11:54 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by xealo View Post
Wouldn't the glass impede image quality though?

I was worried about the same question, but I cannot notice any difference!
post #3697 of 4164 Old 06-10-2019, 12:02 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I performed the firmware update this weekend, and it's a mixed bag. The flashing on input change is gone, but it's just replaced with a longer black screen instead, which isn't really a fix. The half screen Brilliant Color issue isn't fixed, nor is the issue of it being enabled silently every time WCG is toggled. The new firmware seems more sensitive to HDMI cables. I had to replace one of them with a hi-speed to get sync. So far I have not had the XPR off/on issue, but that was intermittent before.

That said, I went to the movies this weekend at my local Regal for the first time since receiving the projector, and ending up paying much more attention to black levels and brightness than I normally do. I'm happy to say the projector compared very favorably. Black levels at the theater were better, but only slightly. OTOH, even in HDR and d.cinema modes, the projector had better brightness than the theater.
post #3698 of 4164 Old 06-10-2019, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Hello,
Did someone receive the version of may or june? Thanks
post #3699 of 4164 Old 06-10-2019, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 184 Post(s)
Quoted: 2630 Post(s)
Liked: 2578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
I performed the firmware update this weekend, and it's a mixed bag. The flashing on input change is gone, but it's just replaced with a longer black screen instead, which isn't really a fix. The half screen Brilliant Color issue isn't fixed, nor is the issue of it being enabled silently every time WCG is toggled. The new firmware seems more sensitive to HDMI cables. I had to replace one of them with a hi-speed to get sync. So far I have not had the XPR off/on issue, but that was intermittent before.

That said, I went to the movies this weekend at my local Regal for the first time since receiving the projector, and ending up paying much more attention to black levels and brightness than I normally do. I'm happy to say the projector compared very favorably. Black levels at the theater were better, but only slightly. OTOH, even in HDR and d.cinema modes, the projector had better brightness than the theater.

I believe the “half screen” issue is something that requires the projector be sent in for service. If you contact benQ they should be able to help.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #3700 of 4164 Old 06-10-2019, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Question for those that have had to replace a defective projector with Benq, from your first contact Benq how long did it take for you to receive RMA authorization and what has been your typical turn around time from sending your projector out to receiving your replacement?

Beer Massif/ve Beers :: U.S. based windbag who won't shut up about beer :: Lord Commander of the Beer Massif Podcast ::youtube.com/massivebeers
BenQ W1070 | 100" Dalite Fixed Screen
Onkyo NR-676 | BIC America: DV64 Towers : DV62CLR-S Center : DV62si Surrounds : V1020 Sub
Intel 2600k at 4.6GHZ w/ Asus GTX1070 | Playstation 4 | Playstation 3
post #3701 of 4164 Old 06-10-2019, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Firmware update performed on mine - apart from slightly longer Black screen on start up it's a plus! - this projector was made for watching Sci - fi movies
Fed it 'Them' on DVD and Forbidden Planet on Blu Ray with very good results, in fact I was genuinely impressed with how it presented some of the scenes! and now Mission to Mars and Galaxy Quest (Blu rays) - great picture quality and very good Black levels considering the price constraints.

Not sure if I have not noticed it before but there are some noises going on when in the last bit of shutdown - will keep an ear open to see if this is a regular thing
Only fly in the ointment is the fan noise - not room shaking but you notice it in the quiet parts of the movies …. A hush box would make all the difference!

Such a shame that at the moment getting a good unit seems a bit of a lottery as if you do have a good one it is an excellent performer for its price.
post #3702 of 4164 Old 06-10-2019, 03:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post

A good home theater projector will beat a theater projector every time on blacks!

Except Dolby Cinemas, those are awesome...

Robert Clark
post #3703 of 4164 Old 06-11-2019, 04:39 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
[QUOTE=Brian;58165148]I performed the firmware update this weekend, and it's a mixed bag. The flashing on input change is gone, but it's just replaced with a longer black screen instead, which isn't really a fix. The half screen Brilliant Color issue isn't fixed, nor is the issue of it being enabled silently every time WCG is toggled. The new firmware seems more sensitive to HDMI cables. I had to replace one of them with a hi-speed to get sync. So far I have not had the XPR off/on issue, but that was intermittent before.

Since I updated firmware I have experienced the same longer black screen whenever I change inputs or try to fastword or rewind videos. Mine would have black screen interruption during youtube videos, that has gone away but now I get black screen for about 9-10 sec at the beginning after video has started. I hear sound but no picture. It only happens when playing the HDR youtube videos.
post #3704 of 4164 Old 06-11-2019, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Schalker View Post
Hi guys, I'm from Germany and since Monday I also own a W2700. Everything woks fine, but after I did the upgrade to FW 1.0.1 I got problems with the Fi (I'm not quite sure if that probs where already there with 1.0.0, I only check sharpnes and color before I did the upgrade). As soon as now I activate the motion enhancer 4K in Cinemamaster mode, it comes to asynchronous picture and sound. The sound comes a little bit later (> 500ms). I was able to reproduced it several times. I've tried that on different films and even in the original language because it makes it easier to recognize. Once the Monition Enhander is switched off everything works fine. If he is active, the sound is out of sync. Thougt the FW Update would optimize especially the Fi but in the changelog version 1.0.1 there is nothing about Fi. Would be good and helpful for me if someone of you could test Fi on your W2700/HT3550. If nobody else has sync probs with activaded Fi my beamer might be faulty and I will ask for exchange. Thanks!
Seems to be that the internal Player from HiMediaQ10 Pro Player has a problem with the BenQ2700. I tried to play the film with the Kodi Player, which is also part of the HiMediaQ10 Pro, and with Kodi it doesn't come to asynchronous picture and sound.So I have to switch the player only... Don't know why the BenQ1070 (my last beamer) doesn't have such probs with the W2700 but I'm glad that I found a way how to play movies with active Fi without getting asynchronous picture and sound. After a week of testing a lot of different content I can say that the W2700, from my pont of view, is currently the best what you can get for this budegt
Frank714 likes this.
post #3705 of 4164 Old 06-12-2019, 02:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Clarification: In Germany front projectors are colloquially referred to as "beamers", don't know exactly why but probably a German dealer who used to call himself "Scotty's beamers" is the culprit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLPdisciple View Post
Mission to Mars and Galaxy Quest (Blu rays) - great picture quality and very good Black levels considering the price constraints.

You got my attention and compelled me to double-check, alas, Mission to Mars still only exists on French Blu-ray (and you'll need an Oppo to submerge the French subtitles into the bottom letterbox bar...).

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde
post #3706 of 4164 Old 06-12-2019, 06:45 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurecode View Post
I'm saying this with zero snark and am genuinely curious, I'm not sure how the video doesn't speak for itself. I mentioned it before and I'm being 100 percent legit when I say this, if I'm seeing something the consensus is not please, please let me know, but the video I posted shows the pixel shifting dropping and coming back along with those drops and restarts in perfect sync with the PR/Actuator noise coming and going plain as day ... at least for me. So I am honestly and truly unsure how you don't see it. Again, if someone else out there besides Sage can corroborate what I am or am not seeing please do. I've had a home theater for almost two decades now and have run through my share of projectors and equipment so I do understand the in's and out's of the equipment I use/purchase, that being said I am not beyond accepting my eyes are playing tricks on me, but I'm a pretty sane person, so being this off with what I'm seeing and hearing would be troubling to me.

As for the video, I've had an extremely exhausting day so I'll try and get a video tomorrow, but I also genuinely curious as to the want for it. As we talked a bit on earlier if we have a fast enough exposure and cherry pick and image we'll just see 1080p, but perceptionaly that is not how pixel shifting works. We see 4K in PS due to what our eyes actually see on the screen. If I shoot between 60-120 fps that is in the ballpark of what we see (debatable, but I think that's reasonable). Once increase the FPS/decrease the shutter we run the risk of going into sync with the pixel shifter (ie: the helicopter that floats in video due to the blades moving at the same frame rate) and I'm not sure how that gives useful data and would probably produce just a jittery image. If my logic is flawed please let me know, this is how I view the situation, again just curious.

I appreciate the offer to forward the videos to Benq, but I've included them in my emails with them so I hope they have it sorted. That begin said I sent a mail Sunday and only have received one response (Tuesday) asking for more info (just serial numbers/mode/source) during the week and haven't received a response since so I hope they resolve the issue soon, not sure if that's good or bad customer service timing wise with Benq.
I could see what you are talking about in the video, and it looks like it happens 6+ times. I couldn't hear the difference in the audio when it happens though. That could be my hearing not being the best. My XPR stopped and started about 3 times last night a few minutes after turning it on. I didn't really pay attention to the screen when it happened. I then watched John Wick on Blu-ray, but didn't notice any drop in picture quality throughout the film. I've still to update the firmware, so I'll try that to see if I notice anything different.
post #3707 of 4164 Old 06-12-2019, 08:01 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
here you have a video of my W2700 with the pixel shifter problem recorded at 120fps slow motion. If you slow it further down with youtube to .25, gets very interesting! It's only in the first 10secs that you see it. Have to add that when you have this projector working perfectly it's a great projector, but sh**t happens I suppose.

sage11x likes this.
post #3708 of 4164 Old 06-12-2019, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yves Claeys View Post
here you have a video of my W2700 with the pixel shifter problem recorded at 120fps slow motion. If you slow it further down with youtube to .25, gets very interesting! It's only in the first 10secs that you see it. Have to add that when you have this projector working perfectly it's a great projector, but sh**t happens I suppose.

https://youtu.be/FFmk0qVqxwY

Thanks Yves. I’ll forward along.

Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

post #3709 of 4164 Old 06-12-2019, 05:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quick note.

I was setting up the HT3550 (again) and I decided to take a couple of shots with the lens in full telephoto zoom (smallest image) as well as with no zoom lens used (largest image). As you can see in the first image below, the telephoto lens introduces a fair amount of chromatic aberration. However, with the lens fully open there is nary a hint of CA.

The moral of the story is if the CA bothers you, try to mount your projector closest to your screen. Apologies for the soft focus in the one shot, I was in a hurry and it looked good enough for government work.

curtlots, NxNW, Frank714 and 2 others like this.

post #3710 of 4164 Old 06-12-2019, 08:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Does anyone know what the zero position is of the vertical lens shift? There are no numbers or anything else on the wheel. Is 0 (as in no adjustment) all the way counter-clockwise?
post #3711 of 4164 Old 06-12-2019, 08:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1593 Post(s)
Liked: 4651
Gave my import version of BR2049 a spin over here and the pj performed great. No wonky issues.
Experimented with color filter on and off, hdr brightness, brilliant color etc.
Found it looked the best with hdr brightness at +1, color filter on, bc on. Lamp mode normal.
With filter off, it looked the best with hdr brightness at 0, bc on lamp normal.
Iris at medium looked great.
Just fun to experiment with all the different settings and see what looked better/worse etc.
hobbs47 and Samfield like this.
post #3712 of 4164 Old 06-12-2019, 11:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
I was setting up the HT3550 (again) and I decided to take a couple of shots with the lens in full telephoto zoom (smallest image) as well as with no zoom lens used (largest image). As you can see in the first image below, the telephoto lens introduces a fair amount of chromatic aberration. However, with the lens fully open there is nary a hint of CA.

The moral of the story is if the CA bothers you, try to mount your projector closest to your screen.
Thx for the test which clearly shows that and how CA belongs to the zoom setting. Do you have plans to check if CA belongs to lens shift as well ?
Frank714 likes this.

Last edited by Rudi Rastelli; 06-12-2019 at 11:51 PM.
post #3713 of 4164 Old 06-13-2019, 03:28 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'm deciding where to mount my projector relative to my screen. Am I correct then with this projector I want it in a position where no zoom needs to be used and no verical keystone correction needs to be engaged?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
post #3714 of 4164 Old 06-13-2019, 05:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fant View Post
I'm deciding where to mount my projector relative to my screen. Am I correct then with this projector I want it in a position where no zoom needs to be used and no verical keystone correction needs to be engaged?

The projector lens has to be level with the top edge of your projection image or above it. Zoom can and probably needs to be used, keystone correction should be avoided.

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde
post #3715 of 4164 Old 06-13-2019, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

In the middle of the RMA process with my HT3550, hopefully the next one I receive isn't as defective, but I did I have to deal with an issue that I haven't mentioned nor have I heard anyone else deal with.

My HT3550 would never consistently stay in focus. Every time I would fire it up it would be decently out of focus. If I let the projector warm up for at least 20-30 minutes it would eventually work itself back into focus, conversely if I re-focused it upon start up it would slowly drift out of focus and have to be re-focused 2-30 minutes later. After that initial half hour I was good to go for that session, but the next time I'd fire it up it would be rinse/repeat.My projector and the mount are secure and is not drifting, I do like in an earthquake zone, my house is quite stable and not a duct tape shanty, etc ....

Anyone else deal with this at all?

Beer Massif/ve Beers :: U.S. based windbag who won't shut up about beer :: Lord Commander of the Beer Massif Podcast ::youtube.com/massivebeers
Onkyo NR-676 | BIC America: DV64 Towers : DV62CLR-S Center : DV62si Surrounds : V1020 Sub
post #3716 of 4164 Old 06-13-2019, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudi Rastelli View Post
Thx for the test which clearly shows that and how CA belongs to the zoom setting. Do you have plans to check if CA belongs to lens shift as well ?

I noticed no change in CA related to lens shift. At least on my sample. Full disclosure: my sample is a pre production unit and the lens shift on mine is definitely ‘pre-production’ as it acts a bit wonky. This was a known issue with the early review samples sent out and did not effect the production run.

post #3717 of 4164 Old 06-13-2019, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
In the middle of the RMA process with my HT3550, hopefully the next one I receive isn't as defective, but I did I have to deal with an issue that I haven't mentioned nor have I heard anyone else deal with.

My HT3550 would never consistently stay in focus. Every time I would fire it up it would be decently out of focus. If I let the projector warm up for at least 20-30 minutes it would eventually work itself back into focus, conversely if I re-focused it upon start up it would slowly drift out of focus and have to be re-focused 2-30 minutes later. After that initial half hour I was good to go for that session, but the next time I'd fire it up it would be rinse/repeat.My projector and the mount are secure and is not drifting, I do like in an earthquake zone, my house is quite stable and not a duct tape shanty, etc ....

Anyone else deal with this at all?

I get that I’m probably the last person you want a response to on this but...

My Ht3550 is the same way although not at all the same time frame. Usually no more than 5-10 minutes and the drift isn’t noticeable from my seat. But I should note here that almost every small DLP/3LCD projector I’ve tested behaves the exact same way. Simply put: small projectors are not immune to the laws of thermodynamics. Whenever I mount a new projector for review I always let the projector warm up for 10-15 minutes before attempting to dial in the zoom and lens focus— some calibrators suggest waiting 20-30 minutes but that may have something to do with projectors that have larger chassis.

post #3718 of 4164 Old 06-13-2019, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I get that I’m probably the last person you want a response to on this but...
Zero qualms with you or anyone responding to my posts on here and am always looking for input, especially from seasoned hobbyists/enthusiasts ...

Quote:
My Ht3550 is the same way although not at all the same time frame. Usually no more than 5-10 minutes and the drift isn’t noticeable from my seat. But I should note here that almost every small DLP/3LCD projector I’ve tested behaves the exact same way. Simply put: small projectors are not immune to the laws of thermodynamics. Whenever I mount a new projector for review I always let the projector warm up for 10-15 minutes before attempting to dial in the zoom and lens focus— some calibrators suggest waiting 20-30 minutes but that may have something to do with projectors that have larger chassis.
As I mentioned in previously conversations, believe it or not this is this is not my first projector so I know that world just a bit. Am I kind of sort of understand thermodynamics ... well, at least I would hope so working at a custom injection molding company ... and I know what is expected and within the range of normality and I wouldn't be bringing this up if it was. We're talking a (relatively) massive difference here, like text is borderline illegible level out of focus.

As i mentioned it gets better with time, but even then I always have to dial it back in just a skosh every time. And my question was if anyone was experiencing at this level ... maybe I should have been more detailed, at lest your post gave me the push to define how out-of-the-norm it is.

It's all moot for now as this one's getting replaced, hopefully it's not as much of an issue with the next one i receive.

Last edited by futurecode; 06-13-2019 at 09:09 AM.
post #3719 of 4164 Old 06-13-2019, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked: 1315
Quote:
We're talking a (relatively) massive difference here, like text is borderline illegible level out of focus.
At that level, it's probably not normal... Had a lot of projectors, including several smaller DLP's, never had focus drift to that point. Generally, never had focus drift that you can notice from seating distance.
sage11x likes this.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
post #3720 of 4164 Old 06-13-2019, 03:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 6
So I saw thewirecutter published an article yesterday comparing 4k projectors. They gave their best budget pick to the 5050UB. Complained that the HT3550 wasn't very sharp and HDR looked washed out with less accurate colors.

Also noticed they complained the dynamic iris in the HT5550 was "slow to react and very noisy."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page