BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread - Page 127 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2349Likes

post #3781 of 4195 Old 06-19-2019, 07:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtlots View Post
Barry, I was having HDMI issues, particularly with my Sony UBP-X800 blu-ray player. Dish network and other sources came through ok though. For reference, I was using this 35' cable with claimed to support 4k at 60hz etc... but clearly was at its limit. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I finally bit the bullet and replaced it with a fiber optic HDMI cable. I wish I had done this sooner, all my sources come through crystal clear now, with no flickering. This is the cable I purchased: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 It's 50' long which is longer than I needed, but works flawlessly. They have shorter versions, but for whatever reason, the 50' is less money than some of their shorter versions.

Good luck.
Thanks curtlots. I've had a look at this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/ATZEBE-Fibr...gateway&sr=8-3, which I think is quite similar to the one you got, so I might order it and see how it goes. It may solve the drop outs, and if it does, then I might not send the projector back. I only need the 33' one, so it's a bit cheaper. Fingers crossed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3782 of 4195 Old 06-19-2019, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 2636 Post(s)
Liked: 2584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scizorhands View Post
I cannot understand how this iris works. When I watch Alien or BR2049 (4K), I find that the iris works a lot, but with 2001 Space Odyssey, it does virtually nothing even set to High setting. What explains that?

Depends largely on the composition of the scene.

Ironically, I own both these films and found the iris’ intervention all but invisible in BR2049 but did notice it a couple of times in 2001 (although it wasn’t distracting or problematic— I just have trained myself to look for this stuff).

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #3783 of 4195 Old 06-19-2019, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theagent View Post
Finally got a proper screen. I'm experiencing a lot of flickering with dynamic iris on. I'm on the latest firmware, and I've tried low, medium, and high settings. I've tried switching to normal mode, doesn't make a difference. It's very distracting. Doesn't seem to be happening with DI off, but things just don't look as good. Is this normal? Seems like there's no point in using DI if it's the case.

edit: seems like there's still flickering with DI off. Just not as often.

edit2: okay, definitely a DI issue. Been testing with every combination of settings. As soon as I turn on DI the flickering starts.

Hm...

I see pumping or flickering with the iris in high and to a lesser extent mid. I haven’t had any issues with low. To be clear— I can occasionally see the iris working even in low but it’s intervention is pretty innocuous. It’s certainly possible you’re just very sensitive to the brightness change.

Have you tried the smart eco lamp dimming yet? If so, do you still see pumping with the lamp dimming?

Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3784 of 4195 Old 06-19-2019, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjer View Post
Thank you for the quick answer, helps a lot with deciding what to go for

BenQ W2700 / HT3550 should be a perfect swap as it has just about the same throw distance as my Benq W1070

I was looking at the Sony HW45es and the HT5550 but they cant fill my 135 screen in my room because they need a longer throw distance than which i dont have

The Benq w1070 still looks stunning now and then believe it or not but after i recently got glasses i can now see some minor screen door

which is hard to unsee it once you see it

i have a 135" screen and im sitting 11-12 feet away

Did you notice any improvements in contrast and the blacks department coming from the ht2050

Thanks

I did a fairly lengthy comparison between the HT2050A and HT3550 in the second post of my review thread. Check it out, you might find it helpful.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...3053064?page=1
jfjer likes this.

post #3785 of 4195 Old 06-19-2019, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
Hm...

I see pumping or flickering with the iris in high and to a lesser extent mid. I haven’t had any issues with low. To be clear— I can occasionally see the iris working even in low but it’s intervention is pretty innocuous. It’s certainly possible you’re just very sensitive to the brightness change.

Have you tried the smart eco lamp dimming yet? If so, do you still see pumping with the lamp dimming?
For what it's worth, I can confirm a significant variance in iris operation between my original 3550 and a replacement that I received. The replacement went back. The experience of having two 3550 projectors left no doubt in my mind that there are differences from model to model of this projector. When I got the replacement, I immediately noticed flickering due to the iris. There was also a noise that I can only describe as an insect scampering and scratching around in the projector anytime the iris was operating. I experienced neither of these issues with my original projector. They both had the half screen issue in common and some of the other little niggling issues others have mentioned. I received the replacement projector about the same time that the new firmware was released. I was already planning on rejecting the replacement and only kept it until I could update the firmware in my original. The update went without a hitch, so I sent the replacement back.

I can say, with the updated firmware, my original 3550 has been for all intents and purposes issue free. No more half-screen issues. I use the middle setting for the iris. Now I'm even using brilliant color for better color accuracy. Prior to the update brilliant color had a very negative effect on color accuracy. It's a shame that the projector(s) were not released with this degree refinement.
post #3786 of 4195 Old 06-19-2019, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone have optimal gaming settings to reduce input lag on the HT3550? Been using this projector for a few weeks now and love it, but just trying to reduce lag if I can.
post #3787 of 4195 Old 06-19-2019, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Hm...

Yes, I've tried all the combination of lamp modes and DI settings. With DI off and the lamp in smart eco I only see a very minor flicker with scene changes. It's tolerable and not very distracting.
With DI and any of the lamp modes there's flickering throughout. It's noticeable enough to be distracting. Doesn't seem like something I can tune out.

I'm just wondering how common this is, and if I should reach out to Benq yet again for a replacement.
post #3788 of 4195 Old 06-19-2019, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry McKean View Post
After having done more testing with cables, etc. I think I'm going to have to send it back for a replacement. Hopefully the replacement will be better. My current one is experiencing more faults as the days go by. Last night I noticed that the screen would go blank and I couldn't hear any audio either. This lasted for about 6-8 seconds, and happened 3 times within 26 minutes. Rewinding the film and playing the missed part again was fine, but this is not great, and it hasn't done this before. Has anyone else had the same thing start to happen? I've been using this 10m HDMI cable and I'm not sure if it's too long or not. When connected directly to my Sony X700, it plays films immediately, but when I try and go back to the main screen to see the apps (NF, YouTube, etc), it keeps saying no signal. When I connect it through my Onkyo 636 it works fine. My Onkyo doesn't support HDR, so I would prefer to connect the X700 directly to the W2700, and have the audio go through the receiver, as the picture is much better when connecting it directly to the X700.

Can anyone recommend a decent HDMI cable that is around 8-9m? I really don't need the 10m as I have roughly 1.5m looped up behind the receiver. It's just disappointing to have these faults, as the picture quality can be fantastic.

Cheers,
Barry
I decided to ceiling mount my projector recently because I got sick of it sitting in front of me so I had to get a 25ft+ cable. I decided to spend the money and get the Ruipro fiber optic HDMi cable (10m) off Amazon.
Haven't had any issues at all running 4k 60Hz
sparky7 and jfjer like this.
post #3789 of 4195 Old 06-19-2019, 01:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodandy View Post
Does anyone have optimal gaming settings to reduce input lag on the HT3550? Been using this projector for a few weeks now and love it, but just trying to reduce lag if I can.

Make sure all image enhancements under the cinema master menu are off or to zero including the 4K pixel enhancer and especially the MEMC function. I also was able to see a small decrease in lag by disabling the iris— but I have yet to test that with the most recent firmware / iris update.

Unfortunately, the HT3550 does not feature a game mode or anyway to further reduce lag outside of making sure you have as much of the image processing and image enhancements off. Even with everything off the best input lag measurement I am able to achieve with the HT3550 is in the mid 60s. Most other reviewers are getting in the 70s (which may be unit variance or simply the fact I’m a game nut and scoured the settings). None of the 4K DLPs are especially impressive here with the best models scoring in the mid/low 40s. But the 4K DLPs with MEMC— even when the MEMC feature is off— are particularly poor performers here with most scoring in the 70/80s or higher.

Last edited by sage11x; 06-19-2019 at 01:40 PM.
post #3790 of 4195 Old 06-19-2019, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Make sure all image enhancements under the cinema master menu are off or to zero including the 4K pixel enhancer and especially the MEMC function. I also was able to see a small decrease in lag by disabling the iris— but I have yet to test that with the most recent firmware / iris update.

Unfortunately, the HT3550 does not feature a game mode or anyway to further reduce lag outside of making sure you have as much of the image processing and image enhancements off. Even with everything off the best input lag measurement I am able to achieve with the HT3550 is in the mid 60s. Most other reviewers are getting in the 70s (my guess is they mistake the 4K pixel enhancer as a simple sharpness setting, which it is not). None of the 4K DLPs are especially impressive here with the best models scoring in the mid/low 40s. But the 4K DLPs with MEMC— even when the MEMC feature is off— are particularly poor performers here with most scoring in the 70/80s or higher.
Thank you! Will test this with Rocket League tonight, need every frame I can get
post #3791 of 4195 Old 06-19-2019, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I am getting very frustrated. I am on projector #3 and even upgraded to the new firmware and I still cannot use DI or EcoSmart. Both, or individually cause flickering I cannot stand. I even tried the lower settings on DI and while the lowest does reduce, it still is present. My W1070 did ecosmart its entire life with no issues. not sure what the problem is with these two features on this HT3550.
post #3792 of 4195 Old 06-19-2019, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Question for those have an Xbox One X and Red Dead Redemption 2: what HDR in-game settings are you using being that they updated them recently?
post #3793 of 4195 Old 06-19-2019, 08:29 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjer View Post
Thank you for the quick answer, helps a lot with deciding what to go for

BenQ W2700 / HT3550 should be a perfect swap as it has just about the same throw distance as my Benq W1070

I was looking at the Sony HW45es and the HT5550 but they cant fill my 135 screen in my room because they need a longer throw distance than which i dont have

The Benq w1070 still looks stunning now and then believe it or not but after i recently got glasses i can now see some minor screen door

which is hard to unsee it once you see it

i have a 135" screen and im sitting 11-12 feet away

Did you notice any improvements in contrast and the blacks department coming from the ht2050

Thanks
Ditch the glasses and call it a day...

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
jfjer likes this.
post #3794 of 4195 Old 06-19-2019, 10:35 PM

So now this started happening when I switched from Cinema to D.Cinema It'll glitch like that at random every 5-10 minutes.

post #3795 of 4195 Old 06-19-2019, 11:13 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
So now this started happening when I switched from Cinema to D.Cinema It'll glitch like that at random every 5-10 minutes.

Hi theagent
What player are you using to play your 4K content? Blu-Ray player or ? This doesn’t look like Iris or SmartEco to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3796 of 4195 Old 06-19-2019, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Chiafu Hsieh View Post
Hi theagent
What player are you using to play your 4K content? Blu-Ray player or ? This doesn’t look like Iris or SmartEco to me.

It's actually 1080p content through Plex using the PS4 Pro. This is separate from the constant flickering I've been experiencing with dynamic iris. It only just started when I switched to D.Cinema mode.
post #3797 of 4195 Old 06-20-2019, 12:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1599 Post(s)
Liked: 4664
My HT3550 continues to be relatively trouble free. I watched Godzilla 2014 blu ray in its entirety in cinema mode. Looked crisp and clear with no issues. Went between 2.3 and 2.4 gamma and settled on 2.4 with bc on. Looked fantastic.
Decided to shock the pj by throwing in Billy Lynns Long Halftime Walk and though I don't really care for the way 60fps looks the pj and Ruipro handled it great, no stutters etc.
Played to about half the movie with no weird hiccups.

Last edited by subacabra; 06-20-2019 at 09:42 AM.
post #3798 of 4195 Old 06-20-2019, 12:19 AM

Quote:
It's actually 1080p content through Plex using the PS4 Pro. This is separate from the constant flickering I've been experiencing with dynamic iris. It only just started when I switched to D.Cinema mode.

Did this happen to all of other 1080p content? Or just this movie?

post #3799 of 4195 Old 06-20-2019, 01:13 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishWristWatch View Post
I decided to ceiling mount my projector recently because I got sick of it sitting in front of me so I had to get a 25ft+ cable. I decided to spend the money and get the Ruipro fiber optic HDMi cable (10m) off Amazon.
Haven't had any issues at all running 4k 60Hz
I did look at that brand, but it was over £100, and I couldn't justify spending that much. Also, I couldn't really afford to at the moment. The new one arrives today, so I will hopefully be testing it tonight. Both fingers and toes are crossed.

Edit: I meant to say. I watched Back to the Future on NF last night, and it got right to the end where Doc Brown was reversing out of Marty's driveway and the screen went blank for roughly 4 seconds. I really hope it is down to the cable. Also, another new issue arose when I first turned the projector on. Not sure if anyone has had this before, but when the image came on it froze with small RGB colour blocks all over the screen. It was also offset in the middle so it was clear there was a left and right side of the screen. This stayed on the screen for about 5 seconds before going to the normal video. It's definitely frustrating when you go from virtually no faults to all these faults in the space of a few weeks.

Last edited by Barry McKean; 06-20-2019 at 01:35 AM.
post #3800 of 4195 Old 06-20-2019, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry McKean View Post
Thanks curtlots. I've had a look at this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/ATZEBE-Fibr...gateway&sr=8-3, which I think is quite similar to the one you got, so I might order it and see how it goes. It may solve the drop outs, and if it does, then I might not send the projector back. I only need the 33' one, so it's a bit cheaper. Fingers crossed
Im using this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D7JTTNR/ and havent seen any issues but now that you guys mentioned it, Is there a way to push the limits of this cable? to test 18Gbps? i have my apple tv set to 4:4:4 and it displays fine, i did the same with my xbox one x, not sure how to test tho

Last edited by SuperMiguel; 06-20-2019 at 08:09 AM.
post #3801 of 4195 Old 06-20-2019, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russdornisch View Post
Theater guy at our new home just sent this picture of our final product! Excited to get our blackout blinds in and to finally see this thing in action! He said he had no problem installing and had no issues testing the projector out. Can’t wait to see the picture in the light controlled room!
How big is that screen? I keep wondering if its really worth it to paint my room
post #3802 of 4195 Old 06-20-2019, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMiguel View Post
How big is that screen? I keep wondering if its really worth it to paint my room
100" screen, I wanted some space on the sides for the tower speakers I have that will be going in.

Room is 11X16 in size.
post #3803 of 4195 Old 06-20-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Did this happen to all of other 1080p content? Or just this movie?

It did this when testing other content as well. I also went back to scenes where it glitched to see if it would happen again at the same spot. It didn't, it's random.
post #3804 of 4195 Old 06-20-2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:
It did this when testing other content as well. I also went back to scenes where it glitched to see if it would happen again at the same spot. It didn't, it's random.

If it’s random, I’d suggest to try blu-Ray player or different hdmi cables. If this still happens, then I suggest you to contact BenQ customer service for a replacement. I think they’d like to inspect your unit as well.

post #3805 of 4195 Old 06-20-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
If it’s random, I’d suggest to try blu-Ray player or different hdmi cables. If this still happens, then I suggest you to contact BenQ customer service for a replacement. I think they’d like to inspect your unit as well.

Well, it only began happening when I switched to D.Cinema that day. While I was using the Cinema setting I was playing 4K HDR just fine with the same PS4 and HDMI cable.

So I don't think it's an issue with either of those. My only other thought is that it could have been overheating, but I have plenty of airflow and it was very cool in the house, but that kind of artifacting seems reminiscent of overheating with computer GPUs.
post #3806 of 4195 Old 06-20-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Well, it only began happening when I switched to D.Cinema that day. While I was using the Cinema setting I was playing 4K HDR just fine with the same PS4 and HDMI cable.

So I don't think it's an issue with either of those. My only other thought is that it could have been overheating, but I have plenty of airflow and it was very cool in the house, but that kind of artifacting seems reminiscent of overheating with computer GPUs.
Honestly, I think it's a cable issue. I too, encountered the same behavior with my AZEBE 30 foot fiber cable. I requested a replacement and so far I haven not seen this problem as of yet again. I do have a Ruipro sitting in a sealed box the moment the replacement starts acting out but ya so far that hasn't happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMiguel View Post
Im using this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D7JTTNR/ and havent seen any issues but now that you guys mentioned it, Is there a way to push the limits of this cable? to test 18Gbps? i have my apple tv set to 4:4:4 and it displays fine, i did the same with my xbox one x, not sure how to test tho
Based on the research I have done, anything above 20-25ft in length should be fiber instead of copper due to attenuation and interference. Best way to test it is to download a high bit rate video such as a Remux and stream it from a Plex server to your APTV or watch a UHD blu ray on your One X.

Last edited by xealo; 06-20-2019 at 02:00 PM.
post #3807 of 4195 Old 06-20-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xealo View Post
Honestly, I think it's a cable issue. I too, encountered the same behavior with my AZEBE 30 foot fiber cable. I requested a replacement and so far I haven not seen this problem as of yet again. I do have a Ruipro sitting in a sealed box the moment the replacement starts acting out but ya so far that hasn't happened.

The cable I'm using is just a 6ft 18gbps cable, but I'll order a new one to test with. If only the flickering were an HDMI problem.
post #3808 of 4195 Old 06-20-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:
The cable I'm using is just a 6ft 18gbps cable, but I'll order a new one to test with. If only the flickering were an HDMI problem.
Yeah try that route first. Perhaps even try a different make like I opted to in case my replacement exhibits the same behavior. Regarding the dynamic iris, have you set the setting to medium or low?
post #3809 of 4195 Old 06-20-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xealo View Post

Based on the research I have done, anything above 20-25ft in length should be fiber instead of copper due to attenuation and interference. Best way to test it is to download a high bit rate video such as a Remux and stream it from a Plex server to your APTV or watch a UHD blu ray on your One X.

Any way of knowing that the its playing at 18 Gbps?? also if the cable is faulty what would happen? just flicker or signal lost?
post #3810 of 4195 Old 06-20-2019, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Benq HT3550 Review - 2 Months and Counting

Software Version 1.00.00

Purchase Date: 4/16/2019

Current Date: 6/19/2019

I’m an engineer by trade, and when I was in school I used to sell high end audio-video systems, especially home theater equipment. One quick note is that I have no affiliation with Benq or any other company and just wanted people to know the details about this projector.

Listed below is a breakdown of my current setup, so you’ll know what I’m using during this review. My theater room is completely light controlled, and the previous projector was an older Optoma HD70 (720p) projector that was just replaced with this new 4k Benq HT3550. The screen I used for my older setup was a 130” white 16x9 Da-Lite with 1.0 gain with my seating position about 12 feet away. I just upgraded my screen to a super wide screen format that I built myself using a 1.0 white gain material that contains about a 143” 16x9 within the 173” 2.35:1 cinema scope screen. My surround sound configuration is 7.1 setup using Revel speakers, Anthem Pre Amp w/ Separates, Panasonic Blu-ray player, Amazon Fire Stick w/ Hulu and Sling, X Box One X, and HTPC with quad off-air tuner cards for HD broadcast.

I’ve wanted a 4k projector for a while, and I’ve been waiting for the right projector to come out at the right price. One thing about any reviews you read on the web is that the reviewer probably is getting something for their review, so they will probably try to give you the hard sell more than if they were just a guy off the street checking it out. The reason I state this is because like most of these projector reviews put this projector at a very high pedestal, so when I first got it I had very high expectations. What I got was a device that needs a lot of work, and I really didn’t want to be a test mule on their software issues. However, the projector has an awesome picture on the right source material. Is this good enough to make a great projector, or does this mean I should return it until they get it right?

Once I paid for the pre-order on BenqDirect.com back in April, I started finding people on forums stating they have already received their HT3550, and they are talking about tons of issues and I have to say they are not wrong. When I first set up the unit and went through its beginning setup, everything worked great. Then all of a sudden, about 2 minutes after the initial setup was completed, the projector setup position reverted to table top position from my inverted setup. I tried to fix this and every time that I moved the cursor on the menu, the screen would drop out for about 5 seconds and then it would come back (this is happening when I’m using a 1080p source material). Moving the cursor again trying to select the screen position only caused it to blank out again and I had to wait. I got it to adjust, but what a pain, because it took 2 minutes to just get the screen position fixed again.

This should be fixed by a software update. However, I don’t want to be a beta tester and get nothing for it. Every time I try to do any kind of adjustment within the menu, the screen blanks out for 5 seconds. This gets annoying really quickly. I had to upgrade my supposedly future-proof 4k monster cable as well, because it either didn’t pass the signal, or if it did it caused major banding issues across my screen. I guess Monster Cable would say it’s good for 4k 30 Hz, but it really needs to pass thru 4k 60 Hz to work. There goes my future proof cable I paid a lot of money on (Note: length 36’). Once I got my cable upgraded and was able to send a native 2160p to the projector this stopped, but if I use a 1080p signal to this project the problem still persists, such as on 3D. I guess we’ll have to wait until they give us a software update to fix these issues, and hopefully soon.

Once the initial setup is completed and you’re just using the projector it works fine. It just gets very annoying when you’re trying to adjust your settings and the screen goes blank. Other issues reported on the forums were that the dynamic iris would bounce a lot on material, making them say it was unwatchable. I have found that sometimes you can tell the projector has changed the light output within a scene, but not enough to bother me, and it helps so much on improving the black levels that I left mine on for Blu-ray and UHD discs, but when watching normal HD TV or DVD’s about half the time it would get too dark and I would just turn it off.

The next issue people on forums are complaining about is projector noise levels people and the fans ramping up and down loudly, but I can say it’s actually better than my old Optoma HD70. The projector does ramp up time from time and you may be able to notice the chip making noise, but it’s much better then what I had before so it doesn’t bother me at all.

Before you read my comments on the picture quality, you need to understand how important the signal quality is because this projector shows everything. Here is an example, if your using a high quality speaker system, if the soundtrack for a movie or music is recorded at a very high level, the speakers can match this and make it a great experience, but if the recording is not up to par then these speakers will show all the short comings of the recording. So that is the same with video quality because the picture can look horrible on some lower class SD and HD channels because they are either highly compressed and/or using inferior cameras or just a substandard recording method. Also, the color at first can come across too strong. I had to turn the gamma to around 2.6 and the sharpness to zero and turn the contrast and brightness down because of how bad the image was coming out on lower quality signals. Without doing this, there was so much noise in the picture it was almost unwatchable to me. When you feed this a 1080p Blu-ray or 4k UHD disc this thing rocks, but when the recording quality is low or high compressed, it shows everything.

One thing to note is that the lower resolution Optoma HD70 (720p) projector display lower native source feeds better than this 4k Benq Ht3550. Normal TV viewing and lower quality HD channels that are way below Blu-ray’s standards, such as broadcasted TV using 720p and/or 1080i with some SD (480p) material mixed in looks better on my older projector then this new one. The reason why is the new Benq HT3550 internal scalers just aren’t good enough to scale these very lower quality resolutions to its native panel resolution without causing some kind of noise within the image. This is the reason this projector costs $1,500 and won’t break the bank like all the other higher end versions that are out there. That doesn’t mean this projector is bad, though. You won’t regret buying this projector, especially since 8K is coming sooner then we think.

Once everything is set up and working, you’ll come to find that this projector really shows you how good or bad your feed signal is. That means this thing is awesome when fed a good signal and just okay if not. The big question: Is it worth it? Yes it is! I couldn’t expect anything better in my room on 1080p or 4k source material. This projector does open my eyes to how great 4k can be when using it on such a large screen, say above 120”. The internal zoom is manual, but it’s the only one that could do the screen I wanted in such a short throw. I was able to do about a 143” 16x9 screen at 14’ 8” and zoom it all the way out to the screens max of 173” 2.35:1 ratio. What is awesome to me too is this makes the original recording go across the 2.35:1 screen with no black bars across the tops or bottoms. I really can’t even make out the black bars, even with this thing zoomed to 173” 2.35:1. People talk about black levels and maybe more expensive projectors can do better, but in my book this thing is awesome and you won’t be disappointed unless you’re coming from a very expensive project. Buy one and see for yourself, because seeing is believing. The drawbacks that I mentioned earlier are minimal, and I rate this projector 10 out of 10 on 1080p and 4k material and 6 out of 10 on low quality HD like HGTV and slightly better on Dvd's at 7.5 out of 10. Just remember that 8k is just around the corner and this is just priced too good to not put it in your theater.

4K gaming is a dream on this thing while using my X-Box One X. I’m not worried about being off a couple of frames or so during gameplay, because this thing sucks you into the game you’re playing. That’s what makes a projector either just okay or great, and this one is the latter. After hours of playing, your eyes don’t hurt and you’ll have to be careful not to waste your day just playing games. I’ve never experienced the rainbow effect on either my 720p projector or this 4k one, so if you have a problem like this before, you probably should just stay away from DLP projectors all together.

One quick note is that I did buy a bunch of 3D glasses and this thing works great that way too. I even stretched one of my movies to the full 173” 2.35:1 widescreen and it was plenty bright and the images did pop off the screen. Hope this helps and if you’re like me debating on buying one or not, just do it because you won’t be disappointed. This was the first one that met all my criteria, and that’s why I bought. Plus my old 720p projector had 8k hours on it. I’ll update this review once I get a newer software version installed.

Best Regards,

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1a - 132inch 16x9 Original Screen Setup.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	733.1 KB
ID:	2582544   Click image for larger version

Name:	1b - New Home Made 173inch 2.35_1 Screen.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	737.6 KB
ID:	2582546   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 - Rear Theater Room 7.1 setup recessed projector box.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	787.2 KB
ID:	2582548   Click image for larger version

Name:	3 - Benq HT3550.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	814.1 KB
ID:	2582550   Click image for larger version

Name:	4 - Old Projector Ver New.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	737.3 KB
ID:	2582552  

Click image for larger version

Name:	5 - Benq HT3550 Front View with Remote.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	840.1 KB
ID:	2582554   Click image for larger version

Name:	6 - Benq HT3550 Front View.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	885.7 KB
ID:	2582556   Click image for larger version

Name:	7 - Benq HT3550 Rear Projector.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	978.5 KB
ID:	2582558   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.1 - Rear Projector Setup Location 14ft 8inch from screen.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	774.4 KB
ID:	2582560  
sparky7, sage11x and triathletewms like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page