BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread - Page 128 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2684Likes

post #3811 of 4721 Old 06-20-2019, 07:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMiguel View Post
Any way of knowing that the its playing at 18 Gbps?? also if the cable is faulty what would happen? just flicker or signal lost?

Tbh, I don't know if there is. More so, I doubt there is any consumer content out there that will max out at 18Gbps. In my experience, I was getting sporadic signal loss even at 720p via some live streams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3812 of 4721 Old 06-20-2019, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 21
i can get it to play and my menu looks just like this:

i can play movies for few hours and doesnt even flicker

Last edited by SuperMiguel; 06-20-2019 at 08:42 PM.
post #3813 of 4721 Old 06-21-2019, 03:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry McKean View Post
I did look at that brand, but it was over £100, and I couldn't justify spending that much. Also, I couldn't really afford to at the moment. The new one arrives today, so I will hopefully be testing it tonight. Both fingers and toes are crossed.

Edit: I meant to say. I watched Back to the Future on NF last night, and it got right to the end where Doc Brown was reversing out of Marty's driveway and the screen went blank for roughly 4 seconds. I really hope it is down to the cable. Also, another new issue arose when I first turned the projector on. Not sure if anyone has had this before, but when the image came on it froze with small RGB colour blocks all over the screen. It was also offset in the middle so it was clear there was a left and right side of the screen. This stayed on the screen for about 5 seconds before going to the normal video. It's definitely frustrating when you go from virtually no faults to all these faults in the space of a few weeks.
Well I got the new fibre cable last night, and I plugged it directly from the X700 to the projector, and straight away I noticed a huge improvement in resolution. I tested it for quite a while, and not once did the picture drop. I also noticed that when in the main page of NF on the X700, the blank screen that I was getting every time it would show the small trailer for the show or film that you highlight was gone. It played the trailers fine without any hiccups. The distortion on the edges of people and objects was still there, and started showing on the 4k HDR of Lucifer, but I noticed that 4k motion was set to low, so I turned it off and the distortion disappeared. I then put it back to low, but the distortion never came back. I also tried medium and high, but it didn't appear either, so good news there. I know what to do if it happens again.

As my receiver doesn't support HDR, I then decided to use the audio only HDMI from the X700 to my Onkyo 636 for the audio. This is where things started to act up. The audio would keep cutting in and out, and I could see the receiver flashing as if it was struggling to receive the signal. While it was doing that, the audio coming from the projector would cut in and out at the opposite time to the receiver. I didn't get a chance to fully check settings on the receiver to see if there was a setting there to set it to audio only, but I'll check that tonight when I get home. The other thing though, after connecting the HDMI for audio, and the other HDMI cable that had the drop outs (it works fine for Sky and PS4), the blank screen came back in NF while browsing the shows and films. I think it's down to the dodgy HDMI, and I may have a setting on the receiver set to output both instead of just one of the HDMI outputs. That might be what's causing the confusion with the projector. At this point I think I'll be keeping the projector, as the picture quality is just beautiful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3814 of 4721 Old 06-21-2019, 05:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Well I got the new fibre cable last night, and I plugged it directly from the X700 to the projector, and straight away I noticed a huge improvement in resolution. I tested it for quite a while, and not once did the picture drop. I also noticed that when in the main page of NF on the X700, the blank screen that I was getting every time it would show the small trailer for the show or film that you highlight was gone. It played the trailers fine without any hiccups. The distortion on the edges of people and objects was still there, and started showing on the 4k HDR of Lucifer, but I noticed that 4k motion was set to low, so I turned it off and the distortion disappeared. I then put it back to low, but the distortion never came back. I also tried medium and high, but it didn't appear either, so good news there. I know what to do if it happens again.

As my receiver doesn't support HDR, I then decided to use the audio only HDMI from the X700 to my Onkyo 636 for the audio. This is where things started to act up. The audio would keep cutting in and out, and I could see the receiver flashing as if it was struggling to receive the signal. While it was doing that, the audio coming from the projector would cut in and out at the opposite time to the receiver. I didn't get a chance to fully check settings on the receiver to see if there was a setting there to set it to audio only, but I'll check that tonight when I get home. The other thing though, after connecting the HDMI for audio, and the other HDMI cable that had the drop outs (it works fine for Sky and PS4), the blank screen came back in NF while browsing the shows and films. I think it's down to the dodgy HDMI, and I may have a setting on the receiver set to output both instead of just one of the HDMI outputs. That might be what's causing the confusion with the projector. At this point I think I'll be keeping the projector, as the picture quality is just beautiful.
Good to hear that the fiber optic cable cleared up your video issues Barry. As far as audio, it may be a long shot, but double check the settings on the Sony. I was running my X800 this way prior to getting a new receiver and I thought there was a setting for audio out of one of the two HDMIs. Could be wrong though....
post #3815 of 4721 Old 06-21-2019, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
a huge improvement in resolution.
Can you do an after and before pic? video?
post #3816 of 4721 Old 06-21-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMiguel View Post
Can you do an after and before pic? video?
I'm not sure I'll be able to get a before and after shot, as I've put everything back in its place and tidied up the cables, but I'll try over the weekend. The one thing that showed there was a big difference was the info popup you get when watching NF through the Sony X700. With the old HDMI cable the info was only showing video: 5.23MBs 1080p, so I thought I was getting 4k but I was actually only getting HD. With the new fibre cable the info shows video: 15.25MBs 2160. What's strange though, is that UHD discs and YouTube showed they were playing in 4k. Oh, and for the first time I've had the split screen issue that stayed on until I turned brilliant colour off and on. That happened when playing Lucifer on NF.
post #3817 of 4721 Old 06-21-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtlots View Post
Good to hear that the fiber optic cable cleared up your video issues Barry. As far as audio, it may be a long shot, but double check the settings on the Sony. I was running my X800 this way prior to getting a new receiver and I thought there was a setting for audio out of one of the two HDMIs. Could be wrong though....
Thanks curtlots. I had set the audio to output to HDMI 2 only. Since I've got home, the audio has been fine, so it must have just been a glitch. Now it seems like I'm taking one step forward and one step back, as the NF text and picture quality on the menu screens has dropped considerably. How this happened was when I changed the HDMI settings on the projector from auto to full. When I selected full, the screen went blank for a few seconds and when it came back the text and thumbnails were rougher and jaggy looking. Switching back to auto made no difference, and powering all devices off and turning off at the wall sockets hasn't helped either. I'm not sure if it's the X700 or the projector that's causing it.
post #3818 of 4721 Old 06-21-2019, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Has anyone else's unit developed a high-pitched coil whine? Like an electrical noise?

My original unit did not have one, nor did my replacement for the first 2-3 weeks, but now it does and it's very annoying, more annoying than any problem I had with my first unit.

I don't know precisely when it started but it was around the time of the firmware update. Maybe that is coincidental.
post #3819 of 4721 Old 06-21-2019, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 18
This is my first projector and I’m wondering the best way to get sound from it. Do I need a receiver? ( because I’d like to avoid that). Any way to use Sonos with it? Splitter? Any ideas?
post #3820 of 4721 Old 06-21-2019, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gib6717 View Post
This is my first projector and I’m wondering the best way to get sound from it. Do I need a receiver? ( because I’d like to avoid that). Any way to use Sonos with it? Splitter? Any ideas?
You can use a soundbar. Either one that has HDMI in/out or you could just take the optical output from the projector to the soundbar (this option won't give you the best sound, but it is very usable.)
Gib6717 likes this.

Benq HT3550/LG OLED65B6P /Panny UB820 4k Bluray/Apple TV 4k
Nvidia Shield/HDFury AVRkey/Samsung HW-K950 Soundbar
post #3821 of 4721 Old 06-21-2019, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Quote:

I'm using the X700's coax audio out to my older receiver/amp coax in without any problems ( but not with a HT3550).
post #3822 of 4721 Old 06-22-2019, 01:31 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadius65 View Post
I am getting very frustrated. I am on projector #3 and even upgraded to the new firmware and I still cannot use DI or EcoSmart. Both, or individually cause flickering I cannot stand. I even tried the lower settings on DI and while the lowest does reduce, it still is present. My W1070 did ecosmart its entire life with no issues. not sure what the problem is with these two features on this HT3550.

You cannot use DI with EcoSmart, these two features are mutually exclusive.
These projectors got UI bug that will allow you to enable those two under certain conditions (works only using dedicated remote buttons, as far as I recall) - but it is not something that is supposed to happen and it will result with glitchy, buggy image.
post #3823 of 4721 Old 06-22-2019, 01:45 AM

Just a quick update to my ongoing drama, I have just got a replacement W2700 from BenQ, it seems to be a BRAND NEW REVISION: 02-102, manufactured in June.

Will run it though the test this weekend and we shall see if chromatic aberrations and lens 'softness' are any better on this unit..
post #3824 of 4721 Old 06-22-2019, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post

I'm using the X700's coax audio out to my older receiver/amp coax in without any problems ( but not with a HT3550).
Will this still allow me to get Dolby TrueHD, etc that I get through HDMI?
post #3825 of 4721 Old 06-22-2019, 02:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Can your amp decode that?
post #3826 of 4721 Old 06-22-2019, 03:26 AM

Quote:

Can your amp decode that?
Yes. It's just been a long time since I've paid any attention to what type of audio signals can go through what cables. The audio was cutting in and out again last night on nearly everything I was watching.
post #3827 of 4721 Old 06-22-2019, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Now it seems like I'm taking one step forward and one step back, as the NF text and picture quality on the menu screens has dropped considerably. How this happened was when I changed the HDMI settings on the projector from auto to full. When I selected full, the screen went blank for a few seconds and when it came back the text and thumbnails were rougher and jaggy looking. Switching back to auto made no difference, and powering all devices off and turning off at the wall sockets hasn't helped either. I'm not sure if it's the X700 or the projector that's causing it.
Every day's a school day lol. It wasn't the auto/full hdmi mode that affected NF. It was me turning on the output of Dolby Vision on the X700 that did it. One strange thing I did notice when having it turned on, was that everything I watched on NF (including the NF menus) was in HDR10. We watched Back to the Future 2 last night and it was only HD, but the projector displayed it in HDR10. It made it look like it was way over sharpened and a bit grainy, and whites were a bit blown out.

Does anyone else have this issue if their player has Dolby Vision enabled?
post #3828 of 4721 Old 06-22-2019, 04:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got the w2700 as a replacement for a dodgy w1700 and this one is miles in front. only have 20 hour on it so far. I use a htpc and a denon 2803 7.1 amp . not willing to update firmware yet just incase, as its all going good . have not tryed 3d yet😁
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190608_220245_HDR_1561203557313.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	2583034  
post #3829 of 4721 Old 06-22-2019, 05:34 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by vombat View Post
These projectors got UI bug that will allow you to enable those two under certain conditions (works only using dedicated remote buttons, as far as I recall) - but it is not something that is supposed to happen and it will result with glitchy, buggy image.
Understood, but the issue is still present when either one of these features is used independently.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
post #3830 of 4721 Old 06-22-2019, 07:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by vombat View Post
You are definitely correct. I dropped in the Bumblebee UHD the other night and was struck by the relatively poor image. Hadn’t realized at first that through some remote key actions I had Eco and DI engaged simultaneously. For a few panicked minutes I was worried that my normally wonderful 3550 had crapped out. Alas, it was due to user error. Lesson learned many times concerning user error. I should know better. I was ready to blame the hardware and it was my mistake.
post #3831 of 4721 Old 06-22-2019, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
No. You need HDMI to get the Lossless Audio such as TrueHD. Using Coax or Toslink only allows Lossy Dolby Digital.
post #3832 of 4721 Old 06-22-2019, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 4
BenQ HT3550 Broken and Faulty?

I ordered my first HT3550 from amazon about 2 weeks ago. Worked the first night just fine. Second day come up to turn it on, nothing. Click noise from the lamp and the light blinks green and turns on but no light from the bulb and the fans on the projector dont turn on. The click noise sounds like the projector wants to turn on and then just dies. None of the buttons work on the remote while its "on." Can't turn it off with the remote, nothing. I figure okay they sent me a lemon and return it and get a new one in two days.

SAME THING HAPPENED. This time it worked fine for about 4 or 5 days. Now nothing. Same click noise, same no bulb light turning on, same no fan running. I find it hard to believe that they shipped me two faulty units back to back... Has anyone else seen this issue? Or am I just doing something wrong? At a loss right now. And very sad.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
post #3833 of 4721 Old 06-22-2019, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 831 Post(s)
Liked: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Whitlock View Post
I ordered my first HT3550 from amazon about 2 weeks ago. Worked the first night just fine. Second day come up to turn it on, nothing. Click noise from the lamp and the light blinks green and turns on but no light from the bulb and the fans on the projector dont turn on. The click noise sounds like the projector wants to turn on and then just dies. None of the buttons work on the remote while its "on." Can't turn it off with the remote, nothing. I figure okay they sent me a lemon and return it and get a new one in two days.

SAME THING HAPPENED. This time it worked fine for about 4 or 5 days. Now nothing. Same click noise, same no bulb light turning on, same no fan running. I find it hard to believe that they shipped me two faulty units back to back... Has anyone else seen this issue? Or am I just doing something wrong? At a loss right now. And very sad.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Welcome to the world of projectors. Every brand seems to have some level of defective products that I just haven't experienced in the world of televisions. But no substitute for a big screen. Until 120 inch MICRO LED televisions drop to $5k I will roll the dice with projectors. Probably about another 5 years.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #3834 of 4721 Old 06-22-2019, 03:38 PM

OK, an update on my replacement unit REVISION: 02-102, manufactured in June - it comes with the latest 1.0.1 firmware out of the box.

Good news: CAs are much better controlled compared to my previous unit.

Quick comparison:

There is still a bit too much of them than I would have liked, especially when compared to UHD300X, but when keeping in mind the disaster which 01-100 unit was - let's consider the problem solved.

In terms of resolution / sharpness, the lens is still rather soft and seems to even a bit worse than in 01-100 and definitively miles behind UHD300X still - at least there are improvement in terms of CAs though... (ignore slight color difference, different camera used):

The projector is aslo even quieter than the first one, I can't really hear XPR pixel shifting engine (silent mode makes almost no difference) or iris at all - only soothing hum of the air moved by the fan.

So you might think that possibly I am happy with the improvements and maybe even keen to keep this new unit, right?
This could be very well the case if not one khem... 'slight issue':

Entire left side of the screen has this weird rainbow artifact, this seems to be coming from the lens or some other part of optical path (does not change when playing with image options / modes)....
Seriously, BenQ really need to get a grip when it comes to QC, this is just ridiculous.

Third time's a charm?
post #3835 of 4721 Old 06-22-2019, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1678 Post(s)
Liked: 4889
Yikes!
jfjer likes this.
post #3836 of 4721 Old 06-22-2019, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Benq are shooting them selves in the leg here, what are they thinking? why ship them if they are not ready?

I really wanted to buy a HT3550 but now im on the fence because of so many bad reports

It almost seems like you have to win a lottery to get a good unit LOL

I think i have to use my good old W1070 for a while more and wait it out, maybe i`ll go for the optoma UHD 51 instead
I hope Benq sort it out before my patience runs out, i really want a 4k projector
post #3837 of 4721 Old 06-22-2019, 05:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjer View Post
Benq are shooting them selves in the leg here, what are they thinking? why ship them if they are not ready?

I really wanted to buy a HT3550 but now im on the fence because of so many bad reports

I think i have to use my good old W1070 for a while more and wait it out, maybe i`ll go for the optoma UHD 51 instead
I hope Benq sort it out before my patience runs out, i really want a 4k projector
The Optoma threads are full of bad news as well. Most users whose projectors work fine, probably never post about it, but users who have a problem seek out help and advice on the web. Consequently things always look worse than they are and the more units that get sold, the greater potential for some to go bad.
sage11x likes this.
post #3838 of 4721 Old 06-22-2019, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
The Optoma threads are full of bad news as well. Most users whose projectors work fine, probably never post about it, but users who have a problem seek out help and advice on the web. Consequently things always look worse than they are and the more units that get sold, the greater potential for some to go bad.

You are probably right DunMunro
when im looking at the good reports of the HT3550 it should be a good upgrade from the W1070, it should look sharper than the W1070 and it should also have better colors and contrast even when HT3550 is just upscaling 1080P Blu-Ray`s

The optoma should be sharper than the HT3550 but not night and day sharper where the HT3550 looks like it have dirt smudged on its lenses compared to the optoma LOL

I would love to see Optoma UHD 50/51 and HT3550 head to head where both are in mint condition
post #3839 of 4721 Old 06-22-2019, 07:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:

I've been following this thread for many months. I would love to get into the 4K PJ world, and this is the only one to fit my Throw required for a 120" screen. But I will not gamble my money with this unit. That's why I watch intently to see when the dust settles, if most of the issues are resolved. I watched a movie tonight on my HT2050a, and it was stunning. I keep reading how much better the 3550 looks than the 2050a, which is what still has me excited about the HT3550. However, what I don't know, I don't know.....and I have no issues at all with the 2050a. Hoping that BenQ gets a handle on all these issues so it's not such a gamble. $1500 is still $1500 and isn't throw away money.
post #3840 of 4721 Old 06-22-2019, 08:05 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
You are probably right DunMunro
when im looking at the good reports of the HT3550 it should be a good upgrade from the W1070, it should look sharper than the W1070 and it should also have better colors and contrast even when HT3550 is just upscaling 1080P Blu-Ray`s

The optoma should be sharper than the HT3550 but not night and day sharper where the HT3550 looks like it have dirt smudged on its lenses compared to the optoma LOL

I would love to see Optoma UHD 50/51 and HT3550 head to head where both are in mint condition
I upgraded from the w1070 and the black levels of the 3550 are much better but it is not sharper it is softer and it's a big disapointmant
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page