BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread - Page 129 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2329Likes

post #3841 of 4164 Old 06-22-2019, 09:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked: 4646
Watching 13 Hours uhd looking pretty darn good!

Last edited by subacabra; 06-22-2019 at 10:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3842 of 4164 Old 06-22-2019, 10:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian18 View Post
I upgraded from the w1070 and the black levels of the 3550 are much better but it is not sharper it is softer and it's a big disapointmant
Wow thats really disappointing to hear, i dont care about better blacks and contrast if a softer image is the trade off, a softer image is pretty much the worst compromise i could think of getting for a upgrade to 4k that cost 1000 EUR more than the old 1080P i paid 700 EUR for brad new back in 2014
Its hard to even see the point of getting a 4k projector that produces softer images than our old 1080p DLP projectors

its so strange this 4k projector is getting so great reviews all over Internet,trusted web sites and youtube when it produces a softer image than old 1080p low budget projectors from late 2012, how can it be that no one mention that ?

It was also strange that the revision 1 of this projector seemed to be sharper than revision 2 which we see in vombat`s pictures one page back in this thread
If i didnt know better i would think revision 2 should be the improved version, however it was clearly something wrong with vombat`s revision 2
but that doesnt take away the fact that your HT3550 unit produce softer images than your Benq W1070

Last edited by jfjer; 06-22-2019 at 11:06 PM.
post #3843 of 4164 Old 06-22-2019, 11:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

In all honestly I would say my HT3550 is more sharp and crisp than my ht2050.
Pic from 3550
And I thoroughly enjoy my 2050, I'm actually using it right now lol
jfjer likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3844 of 4164 Old 06-22-2019, 11:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

One more video from 13 Hours uhd
jfjer likes this.
post #3845 of 4164 Old 06-23-2019, 12:27 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I got the W2700 last week. (after a bit of waiting and follow up with Benq. I am in Dubai and they announced the launch here in Apr 24th. I have been in touch with them since to get hold of it and finally got it last week - one of the first pieces in the Middle East).

I will mention the positive and negatives, but before that a bit of background info to put things in perspective. I am using my second bedroom as a home theatre. I have two windows which bring in a lot of sunlight, but I can somewhat control that with the curtains. Moreover, most of my viewing is at night. My viewing is almost exclusively movies and TV shows through my own personal collection of BluRay, and streaming content through Netflix, Amazon. The new projector is part of a whole upgrade that I am doing to my home theatre. I upgraded my whole setup to 4K Atmos and now I have Sony UBPX700 Blu-ray Player, Apple TV 4K, Denon AVR X1500H, Taga 5.1 speakers + 2 overhead speakers and an additional subwoofer (both from my old setup). The Benq W2700 replaced an LG AF115 LCoS full HD projector (7 years old). I still have my old projector which is running without any issues. I am projecting to the wall now, but I am planning to get a screen.

Positives of W2700:

- I love the picture quality. The 4K HDR images look really good. The colors are superb. My old projector was bad with dark scenes - this one is much much better. However, I feel it can still be better but maybe there is only so much a projector in this price range can achieve. I am assuming the screen would make it better a. I tested various content from different sources: Mission Impossible Fallout (Bluray), Wonder Woman (Apple TV rental), Jack Ryan (Amazon Prime), Lost in Space (Netflix). All 4K HDR.

- Screen size: It's a small room and I am getting around 130 inches with full zoom. I used to get only 105 inches with my LG.

- Size and look: the projector itself is small and looks smart compared to my LG and many other projectors I have seen.

- Auto Keystone: this feature is really helpful. I used to spend a lot of time on my LG correcting this.

Negatives/Issues:

- Black flickering - in-line with many others in this thread, I see a flickering in screen whenever something black is displayed. The flickering is restricted to the black areas only. It's not a major thing, but it's annoying. I usually have a sharp eye for these things and it kind of affects my viewing experience at times.

- The screen goes blank for around 5 seconds whenever the projector switches between HDR and non-HDR content. Now this happens whenever I finish one episode on Netflix and goes to next. Every time this happens a click sound comes from the projector. Again, not a major issue, but still very annoying to me.

Both these issues disappear when I switch off HDR in the projector. Dynamic Iris and eco modes don't have any effect on this issue. I had upgraded my HDMI cables as well, all of them now premium certified and capable of handling 18gbps. The AVR to Projector cable is really long though - 10 meters. Apple TV has a feature to test the cables and it said the cables are fine and that it can output 4K HDR at 60hz and 4.2.2 color. I also upgraded the firmware to 1.0.1 but the issues remain.

- Other than this, yesterday one half of the screen went blank. It was solved when I restarted the projector. I am just hoping it was a one-time thing.

- Switching between picture modes takes time and the screen goes blank every time. This was not the case with my LG. I don't know if this a 4K projector-specific issue.

I am double minded whether to return the product and get a new piece (its still less than a week, so I can do that) or just to live with it as projectors ought to have some of these issues and that they are not major. My concern if these issues get worse with time and then I will only be able to repair it not replace it.
post #3846 of 4164 Old 06-23-2019, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
In all honestly I would say my HT3550 is more sharp and crisp than my ht2050.
Pic from 3550
And I thoroughly enjoy my 2050, I'm actually using it right now lol
Thanks for your input on the sharpness on the HT3550, it helps

There are some that say the HT3550 is sharper/crisper than the W1070 in this thread too
It has to be a bad batch or something causing it for some, this was not a confidence booster reading as 1700 EUR is a lot of money for many(including me)

I think i will take the chance on the HT3550/W2700

Those that have a HT3550 unit that has a softer picture than a W1070 or similar should get it replaced as it does not reflect what the reviewers are saying, reviews on trusted sites, youtube, scottyroo and sage11x in AVS
subacabra likes this.
post #3847 of 4164 Old 06-23-2019, 12:34 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 8
As this is my last day before I can send it back for a refund or exchange, I'd like to know if everyone that had the split screen issue sent theirs back because of it? Mine has recently started doing it randomly, and as others have mentioned, I've turned brilliant colour on and off to fix it. Also, when the screen goes blank when it's changing resolution or picture type I can hear the buzzing of the xpr and clicking on and off of it or something else until the picture comes back on. The blank screen also flickers with a hint of green and blue. This colour doesn't happen all the time, but the noises do. When the film starts, all is fine.

So basically I don't know if these issues will get worse or not. Do I send it back and risk getting one that is worse picture wise, as the picture is fantastic? Oblivion looked the best I've ever seen it, apart from the cinema of course.
post #3848 of 4164 Old 06-23-2019, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebin George View Post
I got the W2700 last week.

Negatives/Issues:

I am double minded whether to return the product and get a new piece (its still less than a week, so I can do that) or just to live with it as projectors ought to have some of these issues and that they are not major. My concern if these issues get worse with time and then I will only be able to repair it not replace it.
Forgot to mention this - the front panel of the projector really heats up after some time of operation. The projector doesn't stop operation because of this - I have run it to at least 3-4 hrs continuously. I am not sure if this is normal for the projector. I have given enough space on all sides to vent off the heat. Although my setup is in such a way that I keep the projector upside down in a plank up in the wall behind the seating position.
post #3849 of 4164 Old 06-23-2019, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post

No. You need HDMI to get the Lossless Audio such as TrueHD. Using Coax or Toslink only allows Lossy Dolby Digital.
Ah yes, that's right. I totally forgot. Thanks. I'll need to figure out why the audio keeps cutting out. At least it's nothing to do with the projector. 🙂
post #3850 of 4164 Old 06-23-2019, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I got the W2700 last week.

Negatives/Issues:

Forgot to mention this - the front panel of the projector really heats up after some time of operation. The projector doesn't stop operation because of this - I have run it to at least 3-4 hrs continuously. I am not sure if this is normal for the projector. I have given enough space on all sides to vent off the heat. Although my setup is in such a way that I keep the projector upside down in a plank up in the wall behind the seating position.
Mine is the same. It's where the bulb is, and they do get very hot. I work at a college where we have lots of projectors and they all heat up, some brands a little bit more than others.

Last edited by Barry McKean; 06-23-2019 at 01:47 AM.
post #3851 of 4164 Old 06-23-2019, 02:18 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjer View Post
Wow thats really disappointing to hear, i dont care about better blacks and contrast if a softer image is the trade off, a softer image is pretty much the worst compromise i could think of getting for a upgrade to 4k that cost 1000 EUR more than the old 1080P i paid 700 EUR for brad new back in 2014
Its hard to even see the point of getting a 4k projector that produces softer images than our old 1080p DLP projectors

its so strange this 4k projector is getting so great reviews all over Internet,trusted web sites and youtube when it produces a softer image than old 1080p low budget projectors from late 2012, how can it be that no one mention that ?

It was also strange that the revision 1 of this projector seemed to be sharper than revision 2 which we see in vombat`s pictures one page back in this thread
If i didnt know better i would think revision 2 should be the improved version, however it was clearly something wrong with vombat`s revision 2
but that doesnt take away the fact that your HT3550 unit produce softer images than your Benq W1070

I moved from 1085st (1075 short throw) and all is better and certainly sharper, but I was intrigued so I put back the 1085st and certainly the w2700 is sharper even with 1080p material, so it should be something in this unit or perhaps in the reproduction chain, I am not saying in is this case, but there are a lot of people just changing the projector from a 1080p one without taking in account all the rest, from sources, cables, etc, again, not saying it is the problem, but certainly it pains when you see some bad reviews from people that just didn't change the cables or the parameters on the players (or the players), or something in the receiver, etc,

Changing a TV to 4K is so easy that we tend to thing it is the same with a PJ.

Anyway here a really lucky guy with the w2700, only drawback is the noise, but after playing Captain Marvel and Jessica Jones in 4k HDR I will take me a lot to put back the w1085st (that BTW was calibrated)
post #3852 of 4164 Old 06-23-2019, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pviader View Post
I moved from 1085st (1075 short throw) and all is better and certainly sharper, but I was intrigued so I put back the 1085st and certainly the w2700 is sharper even with 1080p material, so it should be something in this unit or perhaps in the reproduction chain, I am not saying in is this case, but there are a lot of people just changing the projector from a 1080p one without taking in account all the rest, from sources, cables, etc, again, not saying it is the problem, but certainly it pains when you see some bad reviews from people that just didn't change the cables or the parameters on the players (or the players), or something in the receiver, etc,

Changing a TV to 4K is so easy that we tend to thing it is the same with a PJ.

Anyway here a really lucky guy with the w2700, only drawback is the noise, but after playing Captain Marvel and Jessica Jones in 4k HDR I will take me a lot to put back the w1085st (that BTW was calibrated)
Noise i can deal with as the noise on the W1070 should be higher than on the HT3550,
the noise is something i also have a easy time filtering out being so used to it trough 5 years of Benq W1070 usage

When im going to test my HT3550 the first time im going to connect my Xbox One`s directly to the HT3550 with a short HDMI 4k cable just to make sure i dont add any unnecessary problems to the equation as i know 4k is way more picky and sensitive than 1080p 1.4 HDMI

I would think that the cable that came with the Xbone`s should work, if not i buy a couple of hi quality HDMI`s of different brands at a local store.
For sound i will just hook up a toslink from the xbox to my receiver to have decent enough sound so i can enjoy if everything works fine

Thanks guys for telling us the skeptics that the HT3550 indeed is a great projector that should look sharp and crisp

By the way have any of you guys dared to update the firmware in the HT3550 to v1.0.1 ?

Here is the log of fixes :
v1.0.1:
. Enhance sharpness performance
. Enhance optimized DCI-P3 Color in User mode
. Enhance low frequency sound volume
. Add feature: Dynamic Iris adjustemnet to improve contrast performance
. Add feature: HDMI Equalizer to improve HDMI compatibility
. Fix saving problem of volume setting
. Fix saving problem of Installation setting
. Stability improvements of split screen
. Other bugfixes
post #3853 of 4164 Old 06-23-2019, 04:07 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 38
It looks like with these W2700/HT3550 projectors we are really getting something like 1080p+ rather than 4K, possibly situation is similar to Epson 'fake 4K' implementation.

I do not have W1070 to compare at the moment, but I would be surprised if W1070 was sharper, although as we saw this can vary wildly from unit to unit.

At this point, I am not sure if the problem is with the lens or something went wrong with XPR implementation - on my unit disabling silence (so engaging XPR) mostly makes the picture blurry (removing 'screen door effect', which is great) but it adds very actual little details to the picture.
I would not even have a problem with this, if not the case that other manufacturers/models can extract much more from XPR technology - and it gets much closer to the 'real 4K' . (it is probably just poor lens on BenQ...)

Let me just paste one more comparison, this time including the 'reference', being 4K OLED:

For OLED, it is of course a macro photo of relatively small display, so screen door effect is crazy and fill factor is insanely low - and colors instead being uniform, can be now seen as individual subpixels.

This is also good demonstration of one of the biggest strengths of projectors: there are no subpixels. Each pixel is completely filled with one very specific shade of color (though temporal trickery with color wheel or by passing the light though multiple filters in 3LCD-like desings), which gives this smooth, organic, 'borderless' look we all love.

When it comes to resolution though, you can clearly see that all the details are there, as demonstrated by OLED. In comparison, both of these '4K' projectors look like crap - however, one is crappier than the other.
For instance on Kratos leather armor, there is this complex embossed pattern - which you can actually still see on UHD300X. On BenQ though, there is just this murky goo of 'something'. Also, what the hell happened to Atreus face?? It is almost melting down.

And you might think all of this are just a small differences, but they do make impact in real life viewing. UHD300X just pops with 4K content, objects are sharp, detailed and crisps. BenQ looks OK (especially on its own), but you just missing this extra clarity and definition side by side. As someone perfectly said, it is like watching with dirty, greasy lens.

It is not like W2700 it cannot deliver good picture, but the fact that there is this weird resolution handicap specific to W2700/HT3500, which does not have to be there (as proven by other models) is immensely frustrating - WHY BENQ??

Regarding reliability, I get that projectors are complicated, fragile opto-mechanical devices, produced at relatively low volume compared to TVs and it is much easier to guarantee reliability and quality when nothing moves and no complex optical elements are required.
Still, it feels that QC should be even more strict in such case, as for projectors there are many variables and things which could go wrong. Possibly this is a calculated thing and it is just cheaper to replace faulty units when people complain than to implement sophisticated QC process, but if feels that it hurts brand perception. Other manufacturers got this problem as well, but situation with W2700/HT3550 seems to be on the extreme of the spectrum.

There is also case of expectations from 'normal' people when it comes to performance of these units. For example there was a photo of W2700/HT3550 menu posted a few pages back in this thread, with absolutely insane amount of CA (probably even more than in my initial unit?), but OP was not even highlighting this as a problem, so likely quite a lot of people are OK with these defects and only crazy OCD enthusiasts like a me actually care...

ALSO, BONUS PHOTO:

W2700 with 1080p input vs 4K input. I would say the jump between those is almost as substantial as between W2700 4K and UHD300X 4K...

Last edited by vombat; 06-23-2019 at 04:34 AM.
post #3854 of 4164 Old 06-23-2019, 07:16 AM

I just feel like I'm complaining a lot about this projector. I think with the little niggles that I'm having, I feel that £1500 is a lot of money to spend on something that may get worse, or to just bug me more and more over time. I've also noticed the xpr cutting out for about 1 second and then come back on. It does this 2 or 3 times every minute or two when I was on the amazon prime app. I did notice the image drop to 1080p each time it cut out. I'm not sure if this has always been like that and I've just started to notice it, or its just started, but I don't want to have it get worse. I think it's a great picture even with 1080p content. I find it so clear and sharp. I just wish it was either perfect or really bad, so my decision could be easier lol. I'll get a replacement and see how that goes.
post #3855 of 4164 Old 06-23-2019, 08:23 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by vombat View Post
It looks like with these W2700/HT3550 projectors we are really getting something like 1080p+ rather than 4K, possibly situation is similar to Epson 'fake 4K' implementation.

I do not have W1070 to compare at the moment, but I would be surprised if W1070 was sharper, although as we saw this can vary wildly from unit to unit.

At this point, I am not sure if the problem is with the lens or something went wrong with XPR implementation - on my unit disabling silence (so engaging XPR) mostly makes the picture blurry (removing 'screen door effect', which is great) but it adds very actual little details to the picture.
I would not even have a problem with this, if not the case that other manufacturers/models can extract much more from XPR technology - and it gets much closer to the 'real 4K' . (it is probably just poor lens on BenQ...)

Let me just paste one more comparison, this time including the 'reference', being 4K OLED:

For OLED, it is of course a macro photo of relatively small display, so screen door effect is crazy and fill factor is insanely low - and colors instead being uniform, can be now seen as individual subpixels.

This is also good demonstration of one of the biggest strengths of projectors: there are no subpixels. Each pixel is completely filled with one very specific shade of color (though temporal trickery with color wheel or by passing the light though multiple filters in 3LCD-like desings), which gives this smooth, organic, 'borderless' look we all love.

When it comes to resolution though, you can clearly see that all the details are there, as demonstrated by OLED. In comparison, both of these '4K' projectors look like crap - however, one is crappier than the other.
For instance on Kratos leather armor, there is this complex embossed pattern - which you can actually still see on UHD300X. On BenQ though, there is just this murky goo of 'something'. Also, what the hell happened to Atreus face?? It is almost melting down.

And you might think all of this are just a small differences, but they do make impact in real life viewing. UHD300X just pops with 4K content, objects are sharp, detailed and crisps. BenQ looks OK (especially on its own), but you just missing this extra clarity and definition side by side. As someone perfectly said, it is like watching with dirty, greasy lens.

It is not like W2700 it cannot deliver good picture, but the fact that there is this weird resolution handicap specific to W2700/HT3500, which does not have to be there (as proven by other models) is immensely frustrating - WHY BENQ??

Regarding reliability, I get that projectors are complicated, fragile opto-mechanical devices, produced at relatively low volume compared to TVs and it is much easier to guarantee reliability and quality when nothing moves and no complex optical elements are required.
Still, it feels that QC should be even more strict in such case, as for projectors there are many variables and things which could go wrong. Possibly this is a calculated thing and it is just cheaper to replace faulty units when people complain than to implement sophisticated QC process, but if feels that it hurts brand perception. Other manufacturers got this problem as well, but situation with W2700/HT3550 seems to be on the extreme of the spectrum.

There is also case of expectations from 'normal' people when it comes to performance of these units. For example there was a photo of W2700/HT3550 menu posted a few pages back in this thread, with absolutely insane amount of CA (probably even more than in my initial unit?), but OP was not even highlighting this as a problem, so likely quite a lot of people are OK with these defects and only crazy OCD enthusiasts like a me actually care...

ALSO, BONUS PHOTO:

W2700 with 1080p input vs 4K input. I would say the jump between those is almost as substantial as between W2700 4K and UHD300X 4K...

Don't take me wrong, I am not defending Benq for the quality issues, also I am not in any competition, what I see is clear and I am certainly enjoying too much the w2700, I am watching again any movie that I liked but now in 4k, but even 1080p movies look much better (if they are good), it is true I see the movies really close to the 100" screen, also I have the zoom close to max, I am using Coreelec with Odroid N2, Himedia Q10 pro and nvidia shield and there are differences between them mainly when playing not 4k HDR, it also took some effort to get there (as it takes with any PJ).

Anyway my point is that one bad experience, or several by the way, do not make the w2700 a bad option, it just makes it not perfect, also no experience is equal there are too many variables in a PJ comparison that it makes impossible to take nothing for granted.

Well, writing this watching "Green Book", what a movie and what a picture.
post #3856 of 4164 Old 06-23-2019, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 184 Post(s)
Quoted: 2630 Post(s)
Liked: 2577
BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian18 View Post
I upgraded from the w1070 and the black levels of the 3550 are much better but it is not sharper it is softer and it's a big disapointmant

With all due respect, you’ve either got a defective projector or you’re doing something wrong.

We can debate all day the merits of DLP’s pixel shifting technology and how it relates to native 4K devices. We can even debate BenQ’s specific implementation here. Generally, BenQ and Viewsonic’s 4K DLP projectors (in this price range at least) have had a tendency to not be quite as sharp as Optoma’s 4K DLP projectors, for example. This might come down to the choice of lens but from what I have seen with my own eyes this has something to do with the pixel shift itself— BenQ’s solution seems to produce an image with a bit more pixel overlap which:
Pro: results in a very smooth image completely free of pixel gap.
Con: tends to look a bit softer in comparison to competing Optoma 4k DLP models.

What we absolutely can’t debate is whether or not this results in a sharper image than a 1080p projector— because it absolutely does. I’ve made demonstrations here in my home comparing high quality Hd and 4K material on both HD and 4K pixel shift DLPs and the difference is night and day.

Whenever I see someone who feels 4K DLP isn’t as sharp it typically comes down to a couple of things. One, they’re looking for pixels and can’t see them. In the case of the BenQ HT3550, the projector doesn’t do itself any favors with a main menu that actually looks ‘softer’ in 4K than 1080p. Put on any 4K test pattern however and you will see that there is a massive increase in detail which is simply not noticeable with upscaled low resolution block text and low resolution icons. Or, two, they’re not watching quality material. This second point is tough because the industry does the consumer no favors here. Pick up the 4K Blu-ray of Oblivion, for example, and it absolutely looks worse than the HD Blu-ray copy due to whatever crap up-conversion process the studio performed. Imagine if that’s your first 4K experience? Or they watch a low bit rate HD stream or poor bandwidth TV— the HT3550 has a brilliant upscaler but low bit rate content has a tendency to look a bit softer on 4K projectors. There are settings you can tweak to help but let’s be blunt: if you’re going to pay the difference to upgrade to a 4K projector you absolutely need to upgrade your sources. That means a 4K or high bandwidth streaming service, 4K Blu-ray player and/or premium video game console. I PREFER to watch all of my HD Blu-rays on the Ht3550. The upscaling is that good. But Blu-ray is the highest quality HD source you can get. Garbage in / garbage out. Feed the HT3550 quality sources and watch it shine.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Last edited by sage11x; 06-23-2019 at 09:00 AM.
post #3857 of 4164 Old 06-23-2019, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Played a little Black Ops 4 on the pj this morning. Looked very nice and everything worked fine.
Noticed a wee bit of lag but that could also have been my hangover lol
post #3858 of 4164 Old 06-23-2019, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:

ALSO, BONUS PHOTO:

I was thinking of "upgrading" my UHD300X for the W2700/HT3500 but now I'm thinking I should wait and see what other manufacturers release to compete with the Benq or see if future revisions of this model have a sharper image. Your post has really turned me off buying one.
post #3859 of 4164 Old 06-23-2019, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Anyone playing Red Dead Redemption 2 on an Xbox One X + this PJ? If so, can you share your in-game HDR settings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3860 of 4164 Old 06-23-2019, 03:00 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by RefractiveIndex View Post
I was thinking of "upgrading" my UHD300X for the W2700/HT3500 but now I'm thinking I should wait and see what other manufacturers release to compete with the Benq or see if future revisions of this model have a sharper image. Your post has really turned me off buying one.
At this point, I do not consider W2700 upgrade at all - it is more like a sidestep.
You lose a lot of clarity, resolution, pretty much CA-less lens and very quiet form factor, for a marginally better black level and colors (but much dimmer too, with WCG filter on) - and keep in mind crazy CA level, even on the best W2700 units.

I would say this is potentially fair enough and you are supposed to pick the one with characteristic that is more important to you - but this would be only true if price of both projectors was similar. At the moment W2700 is 2x the price of UHD300X - and IMHO this is totally not justified.

I am definitively sending my unit back and asking for a full refund. I will happily 'survive' with UHD300X waiting for improved (W2700+?) model, hopefully soon.

It is also likely Optoma will release competitor with similar features to W2700 (but good optics) in the near future as well.
RefractiveIndex likes this.
post #3861 of 4164 Old 06-23-2019, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
At this point, I do not consider W2700 upgrade at all - it is more like a sidestep.
You lose a lot of clarity, resolution, pretty much CA-less lens and very quiet form factor, for a marginally better black level and colors (but much dimmer too, with WCG filter on) - and keep in mind crazy CA level, even on the best W2700 units.

I would say this is potentially fair enough and you are supposed to pick the one with characteristic that is more important to you - but this would be only true if price of both projectors was similar. At the moment W2700 is 2x the price of UHD300X - and IMHO this is totally not justified.

I am definitively sending my unit back and asking for a full refund. I will happily 'survive' with UHD300X waiting for improved (W2700+?) model, hopefully soon.

It is also likely Optoma will release competitor with similar features to W2700 (but good optics) in the near future as well.
Ok thanks for your comparisons. I guess I will hang on to the UHD300X for a while longer. The w2700 is a promising sign of what features we should expect to see on low/mid range 4K DLP projectors in the future but it needs to improve on its shortcomings to make it a worthwhile upgrade by the looks of things.
post #3862 of 4164 Old 06-23-2019, 06:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
and keep in mind crazy CA level, even on the best W2700 units.
Sage posted this screenshot at full zoom. Doesn't look bad to me. About on par with my W1070 but not very noticeable IMO.

Quote:
The UHD300X came out a year ago and has been discontinued but was actually more than the W2700 when it first launched so I don't think it's a fair comparison. And when I checked Amazon UK the W2700 was actually closer to 1.5x the price of the UHD300x.

Last edited by wk11793; 06-23-2019 at 07:05 PM.
post #3863 of 4164 Old 06-23-2019, 09:34 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked: 1315
Well the uhd300x looks sharper from those comparisons, but the images are zoomed in really close too, differences in contrast likely outweigh differences in sharpness at seating distance, but I guess it depends on the mounting distance too.
jfjer likes this.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
post #3864 of 4164 Old 06-24-2019, 12:43 AM

The biggest reason i wanted to upgrade was because i started to see a slight screendoor on my W1070 after getting glasses
My eyesight isn't that bad, only -0.25 on the left eye but nonetheless when that was corrected with glasses i was able to see some details i didnt see before

So what i wanted the most was a greatly reduced screendoor when jumping for a upgrade, there is no doubt HT3550 is going to give me that
but a natural thing to also want for a upgrade 5-6 years after you bought your first projector(at least in my case) is better contrast and blacks
i think these wishes will come true with HT3550 and more

If throw wasn't a issue i would probably have bought the Sony HW45 1080P projector as its harder to see the screendoor on these and its blacks and contrast would be a major upgrade+it should be sharper and have better colors than the W1070 as well
Unluckily the throw is to large to fit my 135" screen and i refuse to go down to 120" after using 135" for 5 years

I dont have many options due to that i need a projector that can give me a throw as short as the W1070
i also need 3D support because im a big fan and own a lot of 3D blu-rays, 3D isnt dead yet in EU which is great for a 3D enthusiast
In the end when the research is done it comes down to the Benq HT3550 and the Optoma UHD51 for me

With the Benq im getting a less sharp picture than the optoma but it should still give me a sharper picture from what im upgrading from
I have to say i was blown away with the W1070 when i was watching the Matrix Reloaded remaster yesterday
if HT3550 looks even better than that with no visible screendoor, better blacks, sharpness and contrast i will be happy

With the Optoma im getting the sharper picture when compared to benq but i also get the light border and less good blacks and perhaps less good colors compared to the Benq, i also read that when swapping in a 3D blu-ray disc Optoma does not switch automatic to the 3D source as it does on the Benq

Its still hard to fully decide as these are not perfect, what one is lacking a bit on the other seems to got so it depends on the needs and what you you are upgrading from
we have to keep in mind that these are still 4K projectors on a budget

I think i will be happy with either of these two projectors, in EU they are priced the same but for some reason im leaning towards the Benq,
if there where a sale on the Optoma that could sway me towards it

If i could wait it out and hopefully Benq will release a HT3550+ to get Optoma sharpness that would be great but im not sure i have the patience

I think this is a very good short review that highlights the Benq`s HT3550 pros and cons well,and no surprise its sharpness gets compared to the optoma UHD51 as the reviewer wish the benq where sharper but at the same time he thinks HT3550 produces some of the best images he have ever seen on a DLP projector :

Barry McKean likes this.

Last edited by jfjer; 06-24-2019 at 04:12 AM.
post #3865 of 4164 Old 06-24-2019, 01:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Looks to me that BenQ didn't do itself a favor highlighting the projection lens assembly considering that it apparently isn't better than the one utilized by Optoma which IIRC wasn't equally highlighted.

Maybe one should only highlight aspects that turn out IRL to be superior.

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde
post #3866 of 4164 Old 06-24-2019, 03:42 AM

Liked: 0
Hello!
Someone wrote about lip sync problem (sound and video out of sync). I also faced to this problem and found a solution which help to me. I noticed out of sync situation if refresh rate was 30 Hz on 60Hz will be all ok. I watch movie from PC. I have no idea why this situation was happened and how changing refresh rate fixed it.
post #3867 of 4164 Old 06-24-2019, 04:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 184 Post(s)
Quoted: 2630 Post(s)
Liked: 2577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank714 View Post
Looks to me that BenQ didn't do itself a favor highlighting the projection lens assembly considering that it apparently isn't better than the one utilized by Optoma which IIRC wasn't equally highlighted.

Maybe one should only highlight aspects that turn out IRL to be superior.

I think the lens is still a highlight as it’s one of the reasons credited for why this projector is able to achieve more accurate color and higher contrast than competing DLPs. The CA is an unfortunate outcome of the zoom lens— leave the lens in it’s wide open position and no CA. Small consolation for those that need to mount their projectors further back but there it is.

I really believe the difference is in the pixel shift implementation. There were a lot of conversations about this back when the HT2550 and UHD50 first debuted. Just days of posting pics and comparing the results. @3DBob contributed a lot here. The verdict then was the Optoma produces a more clearly defined pixel grid and thus, up close, did appear sharper. Whether this was of any practical benefit once you stepped back a few feet and sat down remained a topic of discussion. What was weird was, depending on the shot, the BenQ sometimes looked like it was resolving more detail. Almost like it had more pixels even though those pixels were fuzzier with your nose pressed up against the screen. Of course, when taking pictures of a fixed resolution display with a fixed resolution camera and then viewing them on another fixed resolution display... who knows.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #3868 of 4164 Old 06-24-2019, 04:49 AM

Quote:

Negatives/Issues:

- The screen goes blank for around 5 seconds whenever the projector switches between HDR and non-HDR content. Now this happens whenever I finish one episode on Netflix and goes to next. Every time this happens a click sound comes from the projector. Again, not a major issue, but still very annoying to me.

Both these issues disappear when I switch off HDR in the projector. Dynamic Iris and eco modes don't have any effect on this issue.
I found a partial solution to this problem. I switched off the "Match Content" setting in my Apple TV. Now, when I press the back button from a video on Netflix the screen doesn't go blank. But the video still goes blank for a few seconds whenever I start a new video. So it didn't completely solve the issue and it's less annoying now. I am giving below the part from Apple support page which helped me, could be useful for others who may have the same issue:

Apple TV 4K is designed to give you the best viewing experience based on the capabilities of your 4K television. By default, Apple TV 4K matches the dynamic range to the highest refresh rate that your television supports. With the latest version of tvOS, you can configure your Apple TV 4K to automatically switch your display format to match the original dynamic range or frame rate of content you're viewing, instead of using the highest capability of your television. For example, your Apple TV 4K uses HDR10 at 60Hz when viewing HDR content, but switches to Dolby Vision at 30Hz when viewing content that supports Dolby Vision. Go to Settings > Video and Audio > Match Content to enable this. When you use content matching, you may experience a blank screen or flickering as your television switches between formats.
post #3869 of 4164 Old 06-24-2019, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
I think the lens is still a highlight as it’s one of the reasons credited for why this projector is able to achieve more accurate color and higher contrast than competing DLPs. The CA is an unfortunate outcome of the zoom lens— leave the lens in it’s wide open position and no CA. Small consolation for those that need to mount their projectors further back but there it is.
so if i understand this correct its best to place HT3550 as near as possible to the screen to avoid CA ?(im still not sure what CA is)
use the whole zoom will that produce the best picture ?
post #3870 of 4164 Old 06-24-2019, 05:53 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
Whenever I see someone who feels 4K DLP isn’t as sharp it typically comes down to a couple of things. One, they’re looking for pixels and can’t see them. In the case of the BenQ HT3550, the projector doesn’t do itself any favors with a main menu that actually looks ‘softer’ in 4K than 1080p. Put on any 4K test pattern however and you will see that there is a massive increase in detail which is simply not noticeable with upscaled low resolution block text and low resolution icons. Or, two, they’re not watching quality material. This second point is tough because the industry does the consumer no favors here. Pick up the 4K Blu-ray of Oblivion, for example, and it absolutely looks worse than the HD Blu-ray copy due to whatever crap up-conversion process the studio performed. Imagine if that’s your first 4K experience? Or they watch a low bit rate HD stream or poor bandwidth TV— the HT3550 has a brilliant upscaler but low bit rate content has a tendency to look a bit softer on 4K projectors. There are settings you can tweak to help but let’s be blunt: if you’re going to pay the difference to upgrade to a 4K projector you absolutely need to upgrade your sources. That means a 4K or high bandwidth streaming service, 4K Blu-ray player and/or premium video game console. I PREFER to watch all of my HD Blu-rays on the Ht3550. The upscaling is that good. But Blu-ray is the highest quality HD source you can get. Garbage in / garbage out. Feed the HT3550 quality sources and watch it shine.
Absolutely - there are many variables concerning use of filters, lighting, film stock (if not shot digitally) and focus used by the Director to achieve their 'vision' of how they think their film should look … going through my 4K collection this variation in styles is most evident, some are jaw dropping others quite 'meh!
Read some reviews from the 4K movie sites and some films are a big improvement over the Blu ray and others marginal!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page