BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread - Page 134 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2705Likes

post #3991 of 4742 Old 06-29-2019, 06:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Here is a video showing what I'm getting when I play HDR content. It's happening more and more often. This is with my new fibre cable going directly to my Sony X700.

https://youtu.be/9k8p9yPTEvE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3992 of 4742 Old 06-29-2019, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjer View Post
Heres recent review of the HT3550 :

https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/benq-w2700

They had problems with the first unit sent which makes me believe there is a high rate of faulty units
If Benq weren't able to hand pick a stellar unit when they knew it was going up for a review, that should say something about QC

Im happy the reviewer got a bad unit the first time so we can clearly see its not only user errors
The review isnt going in Benq`s favor either as the reviewer thinks the colors isnt that good and that there are better projectors in the same price range out there
which to me make it seem like the 2nd unit they where sent wasn't one of the good ones either

IM not buying yet

I have faith that Benq will fix the issues but im not interested in a lottery so i think waiting it out will be best for me

Im positive i will be a HT3550/W2700 owner when the bugs are sorted out though

In the meantime i will be lurking around these threads
Same here. I want a 4K PJ with this throw, but will not purchase this unit unless they get these issues squared away. I keep hearing folks on this thread say that we mostly see people commenting on bad units, as people who's units work don't post much. Maybe, maybe not. That's completely anecdotal. No evidence of that. This is AVS where lovers of this industry gravitate and we see tons of posters about how much they love a piece of equipment and I feel this PJ is no different. I think this Thread makes it very clear that BenQ has completely failed with the HT3550 in regards to QC. I recall when these units were first pulled due to some issues, and I (and others) mentioned poor QC at BenQ, we were met with some input that BenQ is a great company who realized their issue and pulling units to make sure they send out Good PJs. Well, that didn't happen. I have a BenQ HT2050a and love it. Great PJ. I know this is a good company, but anyone who says they didn't fail on the HT3550 is not talking with facts but emotions. This thread is riddled with issues on this PJ. Period. For those that say it's because only those with problems post, maybe, but that doesn't matter. It's clear there are problems. For those that have units that Work well, or are OK spending $1500 for the issues, that's fine. I won't. At this point, I wouldn't take a gamble on this unit unless the price dropped significantly due to the unknowns....will you get a good PJ or bad one. I keep hearing "You have to realize this is a $1500 PJ". Sure. But I purchased a Honda Civic brand new for $16K in 2007. Did I expect it to have the acceleration as my more expensive car? Nope. Did I expect it to be as quiet as my more expensive car? Nope. Did I expect it to do what it's intended to do? Yes. And it has. I expect nothing less with a piece of electronics. I am fully aware that it won't be as bright as a $3K PJ. I am fully aware the lens shift won't match that of a $3K PJ. I am fully aware that the fan will be louder on a small unit than a $3K PJ. However, what I cannot accept is that it will not do what it claims to do at the $1,500 price point.
theagent, ClassicQ8, jfjer and 1 others like this.
post #3993 of 4742 Old 06-29-2019, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Went with a Silver Ticket fixed Grey screen to pair up with my 3550. Looks fantastic in my living room setup. Blacks, color depth, and contrast are improved over the white Elite screen I was using. It’s a touch "less bright" but the improvements in the other areas more than make up for it. Glad my second 3550 seems to be issue free. I know what you guys that got a bad one are going through since my first one was flaky.

Benq HT3550/LG OLED65B6P /Panny UB820 4k Bluray/Apple TV 4k
Nvidia Shield/HDFury AVRkey/Samsung HW-K950 Soundbar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3994 of 4742 Old 06-30-2019, 01:39 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post
Same here. I want a 4K PJ with this throw, but will not purchase this unit unless they get these issues squared away. I keep hearing folks on this thread say that we mostly see people commenting on bad units, as people who's units work don't post much. Maybe, maybe not. That's completely anecdotal. No evidence of that. This is AVS where lovers of this industry gravitate and we see tons of posters about how much they love a piece of equipment and I feel this PJ is no different. I think this Thread makes it very clear that BenQ has completely failed with the HT3550 in regards to QC. I recall when these units were first pulled due to some issues, and I (and others) mentioned poor QC at BenQ, we were met with some input that BenQ is a great company who realized their issue and pulling units to make sure they send out Good PJs. Well, that didn't happen. I have a BenQ HT2050a and love it. Great PJ. I know this is a good company, but anyone who says they didn't fail on the HT3550 is not talking with facts but emotions. This thread is riddled with issues on this PJ. Period. For those that say it's because only those with problems post, maybe, but that doesn't matter. It's clear there are problems. For those that have units that Work well, or are OK spending $1500 for the issues, that's fine. I won't. At this point, I wouldn't take a gamble on this unit unless the price dropped significantly due to the unknowns....will you get a good PJ or bad one. I keep hearing "You have to realize this is a $1500 PJ". Sure. But I purchased a Honda Civic brand new for $16K in 2007. Did I expect it to have the acceleration as my more expensive car? Nope. Did I expect it to be as quiet as my more expensive car? Nope. Did I expect it to do what it's intended to do? Yes. And it has. I expect nothing less with a piece of electronics. I am fully aware that it won't be as bright as a $3K PJ. I am fully aware the lens shift won't match that of a $3K PJ. I am fully aware that the fan will be louder on a small unit than a $3K PJ. However, what I cannot accept is that it will not do what it claims to do at the $1,500 price point.
Certainly nobody can deny there are QC issues, also nobody can't deny that some of us (how many?) have a good experience and are happy with the PJ, so we share it and we are willing to help the others with their issues, also as usual, some problems are not, or can be solved, and this is also why most of us post to find solutions when possible, indeed one can understand too that going thought this tread can scare new buyers, but if anyone expects to go to a forum for a new device (trying to bring technologies not seen at the price) and find it just happy people ....
sage11x likes this.
post #3995 of 4742 Old 06-30-2019, 05:47 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Same here. I want a 4K PJ with this throw, but will not purchase this unit unless they get these issues squared away.
This is the key. I want the features of a more expensive projector but with the shorter throw. Higher end projectors tend to be out by 20-40 CM when using the full zoom and filling a 120" screen for my room size. At first glance, this projector seems to have it all on paper with the WCG, 3D, dynamic iris, and shorter throw, but in practice the lack of brightness and sharpness downgrade throwing a big spanner into my upgrade plans. One review said that 3D looked a little dim on his 90" screen, so it must be close to unwatchable on a 120" screen which is just pointless for me. Then we have the QC issues which have killed my interest in even trying one of these projectors out because I have no idea if the projector I receive will even be performing as its suppose to be.

So while I commend BenQ for being the first to bring these features from expensive long throw projectors into an entry level 4k DLP model, I think I'll be best served by waiting for either the new ultra-short throw 4k premium laser projectors due this year, BenQ putting out a brighter version of the w2700(without the QC issues), or other 4K DLP manufacturers putting out a competitor to the w2700.

Last edited by RefractiveIndex; 06-30-2019 at 06:30 AM.
post #3996 of 4742 Old 06-30-2019, 06:04 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pviader View Post
Certainly nobody can deny there are QC issues, also nobody can't deny that some of us (how many?) have a good experience and are happy with the PJ, so we share it and we are willing to help the others with their issues, also as usual, some problems are not, or can be solved, and this is also why most of us post to find solutions when possible, indeed one can understand too that going thought this tread can scare new buyers, but if anyone expects to go to a forum for a new device (trying to bring technologies not seen at the price) and find it just happy people ....
But there's also usually plenty of people with properly working products trading tips to optimize their viewing experience and there's just very little of that here.
post #3997 of 4742 Old 06-30-2019, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 2455 Post(s)
Liked: 1324
Quote:
Originally Posted by RefractiveIndex View Post
So while I commend BenQ for being the first to bring these features from expensive long throw projectors into an entry level 4k DLP model, I think I'll be best served by waiting for either the new ultra-short throw 4k premium laser projectors due this year, BenQ putting out a brighter version of the w2700(without the QC issues), or other 4K DLP manufacturers putting out a competitor to the w2700.
The brightness is fine for SDR at 120" up to about 1500-2000 hours on the lamp (I estimate), maybe longer. For 3D, yah it's going to be tough, but that is true with many projectors. You really need a Da-Lite HP screen for 3D. You could run it in high lamp I suppose.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
post #3998 of 4742 Old 06-30-2019, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Not denying there aren't people here trying to offer solutions, or recommending when the unit should be sent back. Heck, that's why we are all here. Brilliant and helpful people. If not, this Forum wouldn't exist. I'm just saying that BenQ has fallen flat with the troubles on this PJ. I've never personally followed a new piece of equipment that has been this troublesome. We've just seen too many people taking up for BenQ when everyone needs to realize they failed on this launch. I have no brand loyalty. Again, love my current BenQ, and maybe that's why I'm so frustrated to see all the issues going on with this new one....and probably quite a bit of emotions as this was the ONLY 4K PJ that would work in my room at the screen size I want. I know BenQ is a solid company which is why I'm very hard on them here. They are big boys, they can take it. NOw it's time for them to issue some press releases on their flop and let us all know what they are doing to fix all the issues and when we can expect to see "Solid" machines. All products have lemons. But this one is a gamble like none I've seen before. If they were selling it for $500, and you rolled the dice, I could almost see that. But not at $1500
jfjer and RefractiveIndex like this.
post #3999 of 4742 Old 06-30-2019, 12:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1691 Post(s)
Liked: 4917
Watched Dunkirk and Lucy uhd's last night with no issues at all. I'm using the Secrets settings and they looked great.
About a third of the way through Lucy I had some weird reminder message pop up, forget exactly what it said but I just pressed the menu button on remote and it went away.
Also zipped through a bunch of hdr vids on YouTube this morning and not a hiccup to be had.
Watched this video and omg it just pops.
If anyone is around NJ and wants to check out my projector they're more than welcome to.
post #4000 of 4742 Old 06-30-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
But this one is a gamble like none I've seen before. If they were selling it for $500, and you rolled the dice, I could almost see that. But not at $1500
Apparently, you've never bought an Epson or Acer projector...
Samfield and sage11x like this.

post #4001 of 4742 Old 06-30-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Not denying there aren't people here trying to offer solutions, or recommending when the unit should be sent back. Heck, that's why we are all here. Brilliant and helpful people. If not, this Forum wouldn't exist. I'm just saying that BenQ has fallen flat with the troubles on this PJ. I've never personally followed a new piece of equipment that has been this troublesome. We've just seen too many people taking up for BenQ when everyone needs to realize they failed on this launch. I have no brand loyalty. Again, love my current BenQ, and maybe that's why I'm so frustrated to see all the issues going on with this new one....and probably quite a bit of emotions as this was the ONLY 4K PJ that would work in my room at the screen size I want. I know BenQ is a solid company which is why I'm very hard on them here. They are big boys, they can take it. NOw it's time for them to issue some press releases on their flop and let us all know what they are doing to fix all the issues and when we can expect to see "Solid" machines. All products have lemons. But this one is a gamble like none I've seen before. If they were selling it for $500, and you rolled the dice, I could almost see that. But not at $1500
That's right, I have also not Brand loyalty, this was the only 4K PJ that I could afford and fitted my room (out of Chinese brands where RMA or warranty may have been more difficult), so I jumped in when it was available.

I am not defending Benq, you all make me feel like I have won the lottery, but I can only share my experience and it is positive, certainly I can feel the pain of the people that have bought it and had to exchange one or several times.

I also hope it finally stands out of the quality issues, I am mainly upset by some remarks that just don't trust anything positive, but that's part of the game in the forums, so I will keep it here.
sage11x and NxNW like this.
post #4002 of 4742 Old 06-30-2019, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
The brightness is fine for SDR at 120" up to about 1500-2000 hours on the lamp (I estimate), maybe longer. For 3D, yah it's going to be tough, but that is true with many projectors. You really need a Da-Lite HP screen for 3D. You could run it in high lamp I suppose.
The recent review by Chris Eberle suggests little difference in contrast between SmartEco and the DI. I'd suggest using SmartEco whenever possible as it nearly quadruples lamp life compared to normal lamp with the DI, yet gives full power when called for.
post #4003 of 4742 Old 06-30-2019, 05:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
The recent review by Chris Eberle suggests little difference in contrast between SmartEco and the DI. I'd suggest using SmartEco whenever possible as it nearly quadruples lamp life compared to normal lamp with the DI, yet gives full power when called for.
SmartEco gives me the pumping effect as so DI with middle or high. SmartEco looks 2x better though and I can’t explain why SmartEco is much brighter than normal lamp?...

I am just scared to return and get a worse unit. I am truly torn here. Am I expecting too much? I know what 4K HDR looks like as I have a Vizio P65 and it is a solid display. The blacks on the 3550 puts shame to the 55” Insignia FireTV that I have in the same room but the colors on the cheap Insignia are sooooo much better than the 3550. I would expect for this to be the case but still...Just don’t like this PJ. I was ABSOLUTELY happy with my 1080p Optoma HD33. Not one single issue until it crapped out 8 years later.

I guess I’ll update to the latest firmware and if it it’s still gives me grief, I’ll roll the dice on a replacement.

Dang

My Media Room
AVR 1-Yamaha RX-A3050 (7.2.4), AVR 2 Pioneer VSX-815-K(Used for 4ch Amp TF+TR)
Mains-Polk Audio RTi8, Center-Polk Audio CSi5, Surrounds-Polk Audio RTi4, Ceilings-Micca M-8C, Sub 1- UM18-22 (4cu.ft DIY) - iNuke 6000DSP Sub 2-Klipsch RW12D,
Projector-Looking, Screen-Da-Lite 100" Model B, TV-Vizio P-65 4K
post #4004 of 4742 Old 06-30-2019, 08:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurecode View Post
Definitely not a “New Bulb” effect. It just lacks that pop and doesn’t give the wow factor it did the first two weeks I had the first unit ... and like I mentioned previously, that new unit was giving those “wow’s” till it was returned. I’ve “tinkered” with the settings as people have said it can be dialed in or kick start the projector back to life but with no avail.

Here is where I start to get a bit nervous ... and I preface the next part as total conjecture but from someone who works for a manufacturer and deals with manufacturers combined with certain elements of the progression of this projector I feel like everything I’m about to say is not out of line and while it certainly can’t be proven it’s 100 percent logical.

The main issues people have had with this projector are Pixel Shift Actuator noise Chromatic Abberation. These seem to be the biggest issues that people are complaining about and the biggest reasons for returning and exchanging the projector. As much as a manufacturer would love to fix all of these issues at some point if failure/return rates start to climb to unacceptable levels the powers that be shift thier mindset from replace to stopping the bleeding.

So, with that in mind the easiest way to curb the noise issues is to adjust the physically moving XPR actuator to a shorter and tighter movement, allowing for physics to take over and help curb much of the XPR hum a lot of people complain about. With such adjustment means a less dialed in overlap from the shifted pixels returning a sharper image and “less pop” from the 4K image (the best way I can describe what I’m seeing is more of a 1440p image). This theory is in line with what I’m seeing. The stark difference in noise combined with more of a screen door effect while in 4K. my unit does have a better picture while at 2160p but it’s certianly not as impactful and while you can still see screen door at 4K it’s a much more prominient than my previous unit hence this thinking.

As for the CA issue, as my previous post illustrated it’s obviously there with the white test pattern and inprecieveable with the green test pattern.

So, if a consumer can’t hear a noise to complain about and cant’t see any CA to complain about it’s hard to return a functioning projector and if you haven’t see this projector at its best you won’t know its not running at 100 percent so units just won’t go back for “faults” ... just get returned for “I don’t like it”, which is a much different story.

I’m not “that guy” when it comes to far fetch ideas or conspiracy theory’s so I don’t say the above flippantly, but with this things XPR going from sounding like a beard trimmer to a computer fan sound wise and the green test pattern change to obviously hide CA combined with the resistance I met with trying to get my first unit replaced I don’t feel much trust towards Benq at the moment.

And that’s where “a bit nervous” comes into play. Trying to return this unit without the clear evidence of a picture quality drop and CA might be met with a lot of resistance ... I just hope that’s not the case.

I think you were spot on with your assessment. Having been testing my replacement with everything I can throw at it I'm not seeing any difference between 1080p and 4k content. Everything basically looks like slightly upscaled 1080p. Do you know if there's a way to adjust the actuator if it's indeed that, or would that be something done through coding/firmware?
post #4005 of 4742 Old 06-30-2019, 08:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Quoted: 2757 Post(s)
Liked: 2746
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
Interestingly enough he measures around the same contrast with either solution. It's always interesting just how much variance I see in contrast results. I tend to trust Eberle's results as he's been doing this for years and he has a nice back catalog of projector reviews so you can get a sense of where a projector lands in comparison to other models in the market.

Still, if you read his comments he prefers the iris for dark theater use (on high which apparently means Chris is not bothered by the pumping) and I'll second that. I run with the lamp on Eco and the iris in low when the lights are out and I feel that gives me the best contrast/blacks in my environment with a minimum of noticeable intervention. SmartEco in my environment is a bit too bright with higher black levels and, of course, it runs the fan at it's higher volume.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #4006 of 4742 Old 07-01-2019, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
Interestingly enough he measures around the same contrast with either solution. It's always interesting just how much variance I see in contrast results. I tend to trust Eberle's results as he's been doing this for years and he has a nice back catalog of projector reviews so you can get a sense of where a projector lands in comparison to other models in the market.

Still, if you read his comments he prefers the iris for dark theater use (on high which apparently means Chris is not bothered by the pumping) and I'll second that. I run with the lamp on Eco and the iris in low when the lights are out and I feel that gives me the best contrast/blacks in my environment with a minimum of noticeable intervention. SmartEco in my environment is a bit too bright with higher black levels and, of course, it runs the fan at it's higher volume.
I do the same in Cinema mode (full dark room), what about HDR, are you also using ECO /WCG / BC in HDR? (I do, but I also tried the settings from Eberle but they were too dark with lamp in ECO and I am not eager to go with Lamp at normal mode as I use a lot the PJ and noise is already quite loud)
post #4007 of 4742 Old 07-01-2019, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I do the same in Cinema mode (full dark room), what about HDR, are you also using ECO /WCG / BC in HDR? (I do, but I also tried the settings from Eberle but they were too dark with lamp in ECO and I am not eager to go with Lamp at normal mode as I use a lot the PJ and noise is already quite loud)

For ‘serious’ viewing in 4K/HDR I run with the lamp in Eco, wide color and brilliant color both on and the iris in low. If company is over and I know we’ll have lights on and off or if I just want to chill and leave the door wall open to let in the night breeze then I’ll leave the wide color feature off to get more output. Most company is just enthralled with the big image and could care less about the hue of red being displayed.

Full disclosure— this might not be bright enough for some folks. But in my darkened room on my 100” 1.1 gain it is more than enough and I enjoy the darker blacks and contrast.
pviader likes this.

Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

post #4008 of 4742 Old 07-01-2019, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@sage11x these are the settings I'm using for my serious hdr viewing. If I switched to eco instead of normal what exactly would happen? I'm assuming it would be less bright but would it also help increase bulb life?
I maybe put only 5-10 hours a week on it in this mode. The rest is just cinema/smarteco for regular content. Maybe another 5 hours or so a week.
post #4009 of 4742 Old 07-01-2019, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
@sage11x these are the settings I'm using for my serious hdr viewing. If I switched to eco instead of normal what exactly would happen? I'm assuming it would be less bright but would it also help increase bulb life?
I maybe put only 5-10 hours a week on it in this mode. The rest is just cinema/smarteco for regular content. Maybe another 5 hours or so a week.

Well, in the long run you should gain yourself some bulb life. In the short term you’ll notice a lot less fan noise.

Honestly, while the eco lamp is obviously dimmer, the difference is not that dramatic. Of course, I have just over 100 hours on the lamp so talk to me after 1000.
subacabra and jfjer like this.

post #4010 of 4742 Old 07-01-2019, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
Well, in the long run you should gain yourself some bulb life. In the short term you’ll notice a lot less fan noise.

Honestly, while the eco lamp is obviously dimmer, the difference is not that dramatic. Of course, I have just over 100 hours on the lamp so talk to me after 1000.
Cool, maybe I'll try it out and see how it looks. When I'm running hdr content I just want max performance so that's why I was using normal lamp.
post #4011 of 4742 Old 07-01-2019, 07:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Cool, maybe I'll try it out and see how it looks. When I'm running hdr content I just want max performance so that's why I was using normal lamp.

I mean, it’s worth a shot. If you find it too dim just switch back.

I really don’t think there are wrong answers here. One of the things I’ve liked about the Ht3550 all along is it’s flexibility. There’s a picture mode combination for just about anyone’s taste or room.
subacabra likes this.

post #4012 of 4742 Old 07-01-2019, 07:56 PM

I really like the features of this PJ as a backup unit, but I'm worried the noise level probably kills it for me overall. It will be almost straight above my head. I probably need to find the quietest 4k short throw projector I can.

Also, I actually ordered this projector last month and received it, but it was destroyed in shipping. So I had to send it back before I could try it. When I tried to boot up the damaged unit, it was rattling and gave an error. However, it was physically and seriously damaged as in partly smashed up.

So maybe it was a good thing, because I think it will be too loud.

post #4013 of 4742 Old 07-01-2019, 10:53 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Watched Dunkirk and Lucy uhd's last night with no issues at all. I'm using the Secrets settings and they looked great.
About a third of the way through Lucy I had some weird reminder message pop up, forget exactly what it said but I just pressed the menu button on remote and it went away.
Also zipped through a bunch of hdr vids on YouTube this morning and not a hiccup to be had.
Watched this video and omg it just pops.
If anyone is around NJ and wants to check out my projector they're more than welcome to.
https://youtu.be/GOE7S_usVXc

Secrets settings ? can you tell us more ? where did you find them ?
post #4014 of 4742 Old 07-02-2019, 03:45 AM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by jld071 View Post
Secrets settings ? can you tell us more ? where did you find them ?
Probably referring to the review of the HT3550 at hometheaterhifi.com - see the 'Recommended Settings" section.

Marantz AV7702mkII | Emotiva XPA-5 Gen3 | miniDSP 2x4HD for BEQ/BOSS filters
PSA MTM-210 (L/C/R) | Polk Monitor 35B (SR/SL)
Epson 5050UB - BenQ W1070 w/ Panamorph CineVista Lens | Oppo BDP-103
HSU VTF-3MK5 (dual subs)
Seymour Center Stage UF 2.35 AT Screen
post #4015 of 4742 Old 07-02-2019, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
I really like the features of this PJ as a backup unit, but I'm worried the noise level probably kills it for me overall. It will be almost straight above my head. I probably need to find the quietest 4k short throw projector I can.

Also, I actually ordered this projector last month and received it, but it was destroyed in shipping. So I had to send it back before I could try it. When I tried to boot up the damaged unit, it was rattling and gave an error. However, it was physically and seriously damaged as in partly smashed up.

So maybe it was a good thing, because I think it will be too loud.

On eco lamp it’s actually pretty quiet. The only thing I ever notice is the occasional crackle of the iris.

Fan noise gets significantly louder in the normal/smarteco lamp modes. That’s a shame and one of my only significant complaints about the model as their HT2050/HT3050 were always pretty quiet and even their Ht2550 managed to have less fan noise (although that model had much more actuator buzz).

post #4016 of 4742 Old 07-02-2019, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Just recieved the first response from Benq CS from my last email about the issues with my reciently recieved replacement it’s lack of “pop”/XPR issues, CA and other issues. They want pictures, which I understand, but I hope the almost impossible-to-translate-via-picture “lack of pop” issue ... outside of in person viewing ... gets taken seriously. That is by and far the biggest issue and my major concern that I illustrated previously in post about this unit and the future when it comes to RMA’s ... making the issues “hard to prove” as a means to fight RMA’s ... so yeah. I’ll give the benefit of the doubt for now, but I’d be lying if I didn’t say I was getting a bit uneasy.

Beer Massif/ve Beers :: U.S. based windbag who won't shut up about beer :: Lord Commander of the Beer Massif Podcast ::youtube.com/massivebeers
BenQ W1070 | 100" Dalite Fixed Screen
Onkyo NR-676 | BIC America: DV64 Towers : DV62CLR-S Center : DV62si Surrounds : V1020 Sub
Intel 2600k at 4.6GHZ w/ Asus GTX1070 | Playstation 4 | Playstation 3

Last edited by futurecode; 07-02-2019 at 09:26 AM.
post #4017 of 4742 Old 07-02-2019, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurecode View Post
Just recieved the first response from Benq CS from my last email about the issues with my reciently recieved replacement it’s lack of “pop”/XPR issues, CA and other issues. They want pictures, which I understand, but I hope the almost impossible-to-translate-via-picture “lack of pop” issue ... outside of in person viewing ... gets taken seriously. That is by and far the biggest issue and my major concern that I illustrated previously in post about this unit and the future when it comes to RMA’s ... making the issues “hard to prove” as a means to fight RMA’s ... so yeah. I’ll give the benefit of the doubt for now, but I’d be lying if I didn’t say I was getting a bit uneasy.

I'm a bit surprised you're having issues with getting a replacement for it. Every time I've called in they've acknowledged that this model has issues and haven't given me a hard time regarding replacements.
With my last unit being much like yours, XPR issues, CA, flicker, major light borders, offset throw... it was suggested that I wait for the bugs to be worked out in manufacturing and get it replaced at a later time with a later revision.

I do feel like I was lied to though. I was told they've halted sales on these models, but that doesn't seem to be the case. They're in stock regularly on their website, and no longer "limited availability." They're in stock on Amazon, and even Best Buy has them back in stock. So what units are they selling?

In any case, they really need to test these units that are being sent back, side by side, so they can see and work out these XPR issues. That's a big deal to me. I'd rather the CA then that. I feel like that's not likely to happen though, and they're just going to rush out the least problematic units regardless of the reduced clarity/vividness, but we'll see. I'll wait it out for a couple of months and hope they've worked the issues out without handicapping it.
jfjer likes this.
post #4018 of 4742 Old 07-02-2019, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith AP View Post
Probably referring to the review of the HT3550 at hometheaterhifi.com - see the 'Recommended Settings" section.

Ok nice , thanks Keith
post #4019 of 4742 Old 07-02-2019, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by theagent View Post
I'm a bit surprised you're having issues with getting a replacement for it. Every time I've called in they've acknowledged that this model has issues and haven't given me a hard time regarding replacements.
With my last unit being much like yours, XPR issues, CA, flicker, major light borders, offset throw... it was suggested that I wait for the bugs to be worked out in manufacturing and get it replaced at a later time with a later revision.

I do feel like I was lied to though. I was told they've halted sales on these models, but that doesn't seem to be the case. They're in stock regularly on their website, and no longer "limited availability." They're in stock on Amazon, and even Best Buy has them back in stock. So what units are they selling?

In any case, they really need to test these units that are being sent back, side by side, so they can see and work out these XPR issues. That's a big deal to me. I'd rather the CA then that. I feel like that's not likely to happen though, and they're just going to rush out the least problematic units regardless of the reduced clarity/vividness, but we'll see. I'll wait it out for a couple of months and hope they've worked the issues out without handicapping it.
Yeah, I’m equally bummed by the customer service experience so far. The first email I sent about my issues I waited over two business days before I called. When I did I was asked by Derek to explain my issues, which I briefly did, then capped it with “I sent and email a couple days ago if you’d like a more detailed, in depth explanation.” Which was met with “we have a ton of tickets open, give us some time” backed with a heaping helping of audible frustration on his part so that just sent the tone from there. Every email takes a day or two for a response and is usually met with “give me a couple days” or something of that sort. And, what really make twist my head in confusion was the last “give us a few days” email I received:

Quote:
Hello Mathew,

I am working with our product managers to see what is our best option to get this resolved for you. Especially since this was purchased from Best Buy and not through us.

Please give us a few days.

Thank you,
Derek.
Why would it matter where I purchased the projector and how or why would that effect how they process my issue?

On the last email I sent before today’s response I actually suggested what you were suggested, hold on to this one till the problems are fixed ... Derek just asked, “ Can you please provide pictures showing each issue below on the current projector.“ and just copied and pasted my issues with the word : PICTURES : after them.

Pretty horrible if you ask me ... I even went as far as to send a follow up email after sending my email about my current issues and well before Derek's response asking for pictures, stating in that email that when the projector worked it looked amazing and that I’m not looking to dump it, get a refund or get out of the projector, just want it functional so I could enjoy it … crickets
theagent and jfjer like this.

Beer Massif/ve Beers :: U.S. based windbag who won't shut up about beer :: Lord Commander of the Beer Massif Podcast ::youtube.com/massivebeers
BenQ W1070 | 100" Dalite Fixed Screen
Onkyo NR-676 | BIC America: DV64 Towers : DV62CLR-S Center : DV62si Surrounds : V1020 Sub
Intel 2600k at 4.6GHZ w/ Asus GTX1070 | Playstation 4 | Playstation 3

Last edited by futurecode; 07-02-2019 at 11:43 AM.
post #4020 of 4742 Old 07-02-2019, 10:17 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 6
my experience with Benq w2700

Hello!

I would like to share my experience with Benq w2700. I am from Europe.

I bought projector at alzashop.com. When I get projector it look like it was opened before and packed again with Benq tape. This was first signal there is something going on. Yes, it was faulty unit. Barrel distortion and very bad focus was reasons that I decided that I will return unit.

Alzashop replace first unit with the new one. Again this unit looked like it was opened and packed again with Benq tape. This unit had again barrel distortion, xpr problems, second day it didn't detect my computer source. So I decided I will return it and request my money back.

Both units had bad CA which is a small problem. Fan noise on both units was bearable.

Both units were produced in APRIL 2019, Rev.: 01-101, produced for Benq Europe.

I am including picture of suspicious Benq tape seal. This tape is over opened original rounded tape.

My theory is that Benq is repairing bad units or selling again bad units in hope that less experienced users won't notice those problems.

I am sure this is great projector if all problems will be sorted out. I am little sad that I didn't get good unit. But for now I think will be best way to wait at least 6 months to see what will happened. Even then it will be great risk that you will get refurbished bad unit.

I hope my experience will help someone to answer their questions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	your-seal.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	208.8 KB
ID:	2587006  
ClassicQ8 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page