BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread - Page 136 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2709Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #4051 of 4747 Old 07-05-2019, 10:12 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 645
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by ng4ever View Post
Is the Elite Screens Aeon CineGrey 3D Series a good screen for this projector (BenQ HT3550)?



Also how do I know if I have HDR or not on Netflix ?
Example of W2000/HT3050, which (with a new lamp) is brighter than the 3550. Lamp had about 1000 hours at the time.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post57673262
noob00224 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4052 of 4747 Old 07-05-2019, 10:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
subacabra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Hillsborough, New Jersey
Posts: 2,566
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1696 Post(s)
Liked: 4922
Quote:
Originally Posted by ng4ever View Post
Thanks I can't get HDR working


What could be wrong ?


I am using a Roku Premiere.
I'm using a Roku Ultra. Auto detect display type, auto adjust display refresh rate disabled, hdr sub sampling 4.2.0
Cables are Blue Jeans Cables from Roku to avr then a Ruipro fiber hdmi to pj.
Maybe your cables?
subacabra is online now  
post #4053 of 4747 Old 07-05-2019, 10:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 241
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
I'm using a Roku Ultra. Auto detect display type, auto adjust display refresh rate disabled, hdr sub sampling 4.2.0
Cables are Blue Jeans Cables from Roku to avr then a Ruipro fiber hdmi to pj.
Maybe your cables?

Thanks. Stupid question what is hdr sub sampling 4.2.0 ?



I will try different cables.
ng4ever is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4054 of 4747 Old 07-05-2019, 10:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
subacabra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Hillsborough, New Jersey
Posts: 2,566
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1696 Post(s)
Liked: 4922
Quote:
Originally Posted by ng4ever View Post
Thanks. Stupid question what is hdr sub sampling 4.2.0 ?



I will try different cables.
Here's a good explanation of it
https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/chroma-subsampling
subacabra is online now  
post #4055 of 4747 Old 07-06-2019, 05:30 AM
Senior Member
 
Fant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 217
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Subracabra: make sure you have the Netflix premier account which gets you 4k Hdr

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
Fant is online now  
post #4056 of 4747 Old 07-06-2019, 06:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 6,612
Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked: 2752
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post
I hope you do get a perfect unit. But I think it's clear there are tons of issues with this PJ and to call folks out over it isn't too cool. Again, I hope you get a perfect unit, but if you do, please don't comment that those with issues aren't really having issues. That's just complete ignorance.


We need to define “tons”. By my count there are three:

Chromatic aberration. At this point this is just something to expect. If it’s something that bothers you I’d consider a different model.

Half screen issue and some weird (albeit temporary) visual artifacts when switching sources. Fixed in the firmware update.

Dynamic iris too aggressive in some content resulting in pumping or ‘flickering’ artifacts. Fixed in the firmware update.
Samfield likes this.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
sage11x is online now  
post #4057 of 4747 Old 07-06-2019, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
subacabra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Hillsborough, New Jersey
Posts: 2,566
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1696 Post(s)
Liked: 4922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fant View Post
Subracabra: make sure you have the Netflix premier account which gets you 4k Hdr

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
I do. Maybe you meant that for @ng4ever ?
subacabra is online now  
post #4058 of 4747 Old 07-06-2019, 08:30 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
We need to define “tons”. By my count there are three:

Chromatic aberration. At this point this is just something to expect. If it’s something that bothers you I’d consider a different model.

Half screen issue and some weird (albeit temporary) visual artifacts when switching sources. Fixed in the firmware update.

Dynamic iris too aggressive in some content resulting in pumping or ‘flickering’ artifacts. Fixed in the firmware update.
I would add fan/XPR noise to the list too. Have also seen complaints on Amazon.
wk11793 is offline  
post #4059 of 4747 Old 07-06-2019, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member
 
futurecode's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Hope, NJ
Posts: 558
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
We need to define “tons”. By my count there are three:

Chromatic aberration. At this point this is just something to expect. If it’️s something that bothers you I’️d consider a different model.

Half screen issue and some weird (albeit temporary) visual artifacts when switching sources. Fixed in the firmware update.

Dynamic iris too aggressive in some content resulting in pumping or ‘flickering’️ artifacts. Fixed in the firmware update.
The CA issue is an issue. Sure some CA is acceptable but people have cited more than acceptable CA in some cases. I believe most complaining about CA understand this are not happy when it’s at a more extreme level.

My replacement unit has the current firmware on it and it suffers from half screen issues. Oddly enough my first one didn’t.

The pumping still exists, you can just tailor it to a lower level if you wish and it more subtle.


Let’s add:

XPR issues/not functioning properly, dropping out to not working as advertised (several people cited this)

Barrel Distortion, much like CA a touch of BD can be okay, but my first unit had a ton of it. My new unit has a touch of it but I’m okay with the current amount

Lack of “pop”, mostly on replacement units (several people cited this)

HDMI sync/resync issues. I had zero issues with sync on my first unit on both launch and 1.01 firmware. I have sync/re-sync issues with my replacement unit. I’m using a 15 foot 18gb 4K legit certified cable with a great track record. I do understand that is can be a bit of a issue with people with longer runs and poopy cables, but I also think it’s up to Benq/HT3550 to provide a consistent connection when within a reasonable environment (several people have cited this)

Sharpness uniformity, there hasn’t been a ton of complaints on this but I did notice enough to mention it. Again, my first unit had pretty bad sharpness uniformity but my new one is much, much better and acceptable.

I believe most of the people complaining about these issues understand the quality gap between a 1.5k projector and a 5k projector and are taking that into account. It’s one thing to want unreasonable performance at a minimal price point and just wanting your projector to perform as advertised ... I think a vast majority of people are speaking to the latter.
tonybradley likes this.

Beer Massif/ve Beers :: U.S. based windbag who won't shut up about beer :: Lord Commander of the Beer Massif Podcast ::youtube.com/massivebeers
BenQ W1070 | 100" Dalite Fixed Screen
Onkyo NR-676 | BIC America: DV64 Towers : DV62CLR-S Center : DV62si Surrounds : V1020 Sub
Intel 2600k at 4.6GHZ w/ Asus GTX1070 | Playstation 4 | Playstation 3
futurecode is offline  
post #4060 of 4747 Old 07-06-2019, 08:35 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurecode View Post
The CA issue is an issue. Sure some CA is acceptable but people have cited more than acceptable CA in some cases. I believe most complaining about CA understand this are not happy when it’s at a more extreme level.

Barrel Distortion, much like CA a touch of BD can be okay, but my first unit had a ton of it. My new unit has a touch of it but I’m okay with the current amount

Sharpness uniformity, there hasn’t been a ton of complaints on this but I did notice enough to mention it. Again, my first unit had pretty bad sharpness uniformity but my new one is much, much better and acceptable.

I believe most of the people complaining about these issues understand the quality gap between a 1.5k projector and a 5k projector and are taking that into account. It’s one thing to want unreasonable performance at a minimal price point and just wanting your projector to perform as advertised ... I think a vast majority of people are speaking to the latter.
Are most of those issues regarding the optics fairly common though on budget projectors? I seem to remember similar complaints about the W1070.
wk11793 is offline  
post #4061 of 4747 Old 07-06-2019, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member
 
futurecode's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Hope, NJ
Posts: 558
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by wk11793 View Post
Are most of those issues regarding the optics fairly common though on budget projectors? I seem to remember similar complaints about the W1070.
Not sure but you’re taking to a w1070 owner who’s unit was perfect out of the box so I certainly had no issues.

The W1070 was also 1/3 cheaper and while $1.5K is considered budget Benq has gone out of thier way to focus on and tout the optics on the HT3550 so it absolutely resonable to expect them to perform decently.

Beer Massif/ve Beers :: U.S. based windbag who won't shut up about beer :: Lord Commander of the Beer Massif Podcast ::youtube.com/massivebeers
BenQ W1070 | 100" Dalite Fixed Screen
Onkyo NR-676 | BIC America: DV64 Towers : DV62CLR-S Center : DV62si Surrounds : V1020 Sub
Intel 2600k at 4.6GHZ w/ Asus GTX1070 | Playstation 4 | Playstation 3
futurecode is offline  
post #4062 of 4747 Old 07-06-2019, 09:08 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurecode View Post
Not sure but you’re taking to a w1070 owner who’s unit was perfect out of the box so I certainly had no issues.

The W1070 was also 1/3 cheaper and while $1.5K is considered budget Benq has gone out of their way to focus on and tout the optics on the HT3550 so it absolutely resonable to expect them to perform decently.
I think the W1070 retailed for about $1k when it was first introduced no? I've never noticed issues with mine but I'm not sure if I'm sensitive to uniformity issues. I can maybe make out slight CA up close. My impression was also that shorter throw projectors are more prone the optical artifacts which is why most home theater projectors start with a throw of about 1.35. Either way, I'm planning on upgrading my W1070 to the HT3550 as it's the only PJ that will work with my setup so I'm really hoping there's no downgrade in any aspect of picture quality.
wk11793 is offline  
post #4063 of 4747 Old 07-06-2019, 09:24 AM
Member
 
Brian18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have had numerous issues that randomly occur such as attached, last night the image was 1'x2' a few times the image was a quarter of the screen. i will be returning at some point but right now I have no confidence they have this figured out
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190615_202949-640x365.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	2588068   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190627_205614-640x365.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	2588070  
Brian18 is offline  
post #4064 of 4747 Old 07-06-2019, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member
 
futurecode's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Hope, NJ
Posts: 558
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by wk11793 View Post
I think the W1070 retailed for about $1k when it was first introduced no? I've never noticed issues with mine but I'm not sure if I'm sensitive to uniformity issues. I can maybe make out slight CA up close. My impression was also that shorter throw projectors are more prone the optical artifacts which is why most home theater projectors start with a throw of about 1.35. Either way, I'm planning on upgrading my W1070 to the HT3550 as it's the only PJ that will work with my setup so I'm really hoping there's no downgrade in any aspect of picture quality.
I really do love the picture that the HT3550 throws when it functions properly. My first unit dropped some breathtaking scenes on me when watching 4K content and gaming ... I’m super excited to get a properly functing one as I genuinely so dig it. My major concerns coming from the W1070 was brightness and gaming lag. For me it’s more than bright enough, even seems brighter than my W1070 (with a relatively new bulb) and while the lag in noticeable if I look for it, as a single player, non-online, story based non competitive gamer it hasn’t bothered me one bit.
sage11x likes this.

Beer Massif/ve Beers :: U.S. based windbag who won't shut up about beer :: Lord Commander of the Beer Massif Podcast ::youtube.com/massivebeers
BenQ W1070 | 100" Dalite Fixed Screen
Onkyo NR-676 | BIC America: DV64 Towers : DV62CLR-S Center : DV62si Surrounds : V1020 Sub
Intel 2600k at 4.6GHZ w/ Asus GTX1070 | Playstation 4 | Playstation 3
futurecode is offline  
post #4065 of 4747 Old 07-06-2019, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 6,612
Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked: 2752
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurecode View Post
The CA issue is an issue. Sure some CA is acceptable but people have cited more than acceptable CA in some cases. I believe most complaining about CA understand this are not happy when it’s at a more extreme level.

My replacement unit has the current firmware on it and it suffers from half screen issues. Oddly enough my first one didn’t.

The pumping still exists, you can just tailor it to a lower level if you wish and it more subtle.


Let’s add:

XPR issues/not functioning properly, dropping out to not working as advertised (several people cited this)

Barrel Distortion, much like CA a touch of BD can be okay, but my first unit had a ton of it. My new unit has a touch of it but I’m okay with the current amount

Lack of “pop”, mostly on replacement units (several people cited this)

HDMI sync/resync issues. I had zero issues with sync on my first unit on both launch and 1.01 firmware. I have sync/re-sync issues with my replacement unit. I’m using a 15 foot 18gb 4K legit certified cable with a great track record. I do understand that is can be a bit of a issue with people with longer runs and poopy cables, but I also think it’s up to Benq/HT3550 to provide a consistent connection when within a reasonable environment (several people have cited this)

Sharpness uniformity, there hasn’t been a ton of complaints on this but I did notice enough to mention it. Again, my first unit had pretty bad sharpness uniformity but my new one is much, much better and acceptable.

I believe most of the people complaining about these issues understand the quality gap between a 1.5k projector and a 5k projector and are taking that into account. It’s one thing to want unreasonable performance at a minimal price point and just wanting your projector to perform as advertised ... I think a vast majority of people are speaking to the latter.

Ok, well, give me a chance to respond to this.

That’s why I said CA is something that, at this point, you just have to accept if you’re buying one of these. All of these units have CA, it’s an aspect of this lens. If you remember, someone here had said their unit didn’t suffer CA and it was me that said: yes it does, adjust your zoom. Complaining about it is fine but it’s clear at this point that this is something that just IS on this projector. If it’s bothersome I would recommend selecting a different model.

When you say “several people” we also need to classify “several”. I follow this thread and there were 2, maybe 3 people who complained about XPR issues? You were one of them I believe because I offered to get you in touch with my contact at BenQ to resolve. I’ve only heard one complaint about barrel distortion and, again, I believe that was you. If I’m out of line here let me know this damn thread moves quickly sometimes.

HDMI sync— ok. My only comment here is 80-90% of the time I hear issues about sync it is solved by going to a better cable or cutting out something in the chain. I just had someone in my review thread who thought their HT3550 might be defective but ‘fixed’ it by upgrading cables. Not saying your unit isn’t defective here— but to blame every case of HDMI sync as a fault of the projector is just not right. Someone has a genuine issue with HDMI sync and then 5 more people say they do too and, in actuality, it’s their connection. Keep in mind that HDMI is based on the old DVI standard and DVI was designed under the assumption that cable lengths would never exceed a few feet! Sync issues with 4K projectors has been a recurring issue since 4K projectors went on sale and it’s due to things like the length involved to run to a projector and subpar cables / AVR switches.

As for sharpness— You’ve already said your projector suffered barrel distortion so obviously there were issues there. My HT3550 has some loss of focus at the extreme left/right edges of my screen. I find this acceptable. Again, this may be where my expectations are out of line with everyone else’s. For example, this HT3550 has better focus uniformity than the last UHd65 I looked at and that unit sells for $800 more than this and uses the better DmD. I’ve seen examples on this forum of members who have spent thousands more for higher end projectors with similar issues. You cannot expect TV/monitor levels of sharpness out of a projector. Let alone an affordable, pixel shifter like the BenQ.

Again, clearly you’ve had some issues with your HT3550 buying experience. That sucks and if I were in your shoes I’d likely be in the exact same place complaining about the projector and BenQ’s QC. I appreciate your response but it seems to me a lot of what you have experienced comes down to a defective projector. I mean, let’s talk about it and see how many more people are having these types of problems. The reason for my post is to more clearly define this nebulous “HT3550 issues!” with some clear facts of what is and isn’t a problem and what has and hasn’t been fixed. One person has one problem and it gets tossed in the pile where it’s assumed everyone is having that problem. And then that is just parroted over and over in some cases by members who have never even laid eyes on one of these! There are HT3550’s that are issue-free and there are HT3550 owners who are happy with their purchase. Believe it or not! Lol! We should not ignore the problems but I think a lot of happy owners have been sort of forced out of the conversation with all the constant negativity. Which I have to say: bless you @subacabra for carrying the torch for a little positivity around here!
subacabra likes this.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
sage11x is online now  
post #4066 of 4747 Old 07-06-2019, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 6,612
Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked: 2752
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurecode View Post
I really do love the picture that the HT3550 throws when it functions properly. My first unit dropped some breathtaking scenes on me when watching 4K content and gaming ... I’m super excited to get a properly functing one as I genuinely so dig it. My major concerns coming from the W1070 was brightness and gaming lag. For me it’s more than bright enough, even seems brighter than my W1070 (with a relatively new bulb) and while the lag in noticeable if I look for it, as a single player, non-online, story based non competitive gamer it hasn’t bothered me one bit.


I made a valiant effort just as I did with the previous HT2550/TK800. It’s certainly playable and the 4K image can be stunning. Gaming in 4K in the large format that projectors are capable of is something I’m looking forward to— but the lag for me means we’re not there yet.

For the time being I’m back in 1080p for gaming.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
sage11x is online now  
post #4067 of 4747 Old 07-06-2019, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member
 
futurecode's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Hope, NJ
Posts: 558
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
Ok, well, give me a chance to respond to this.

That’️s why I said CA is something that, at this point, you just have to accept if you’️re buying one of these. All of these units have CA, it’️s an aspect of this lens. If you remember, someone here had said their unit didn’️t suffer CA and it was me that said: yes it does, adjust your zoom. Complaining about it is fine but it’️s clear at this point that this is something that just IS on this projector. If it’️s bothersome I would recommend selecting a different model.

When you say “several people” we also need to classify “several”. I follow this thread and there were 2, maybe 3 people who complained about XPR issues? You were one of them I believe because I offered to get you in touch with my contact at BenQ to resolve. I’️ve only heard one complaint about barrel distortion and, again, I believe that was you. If I’️m out of line here let me know this damn thread moves quickly sometimes.

HDMI sync— ok. My only comment here is 80-90% of the time I hear issues about sync it is solved by going to a better cable or cutting out something in the chain. I just had someone in my review thread who thought their HT3550 might be defective but ‘fixed’️ it by upgrading cables. Not saying your unit isn’️t defective here— but to blame every case of HDMI sync as a fault of the projector is just not right. Someone has a genuine issue with HDMI sync and then 5 more people say they do too and, in actuality, it’️s their connection. Keep in mind that HDMI is based on the old DVI standard and DVI was designed under the assumption that cable lengths would never exceed a few feet! Sync issues with 4K projectors has been a recurring issue since 4K projectors went on sale and it’️s due to things like the length involved to run to a projector and subpar cables / AVR switches.

As for sharpness— You’️ve already said your projector suffered barrel distortion so obviously there were issues there. My HT3550 has some loss of focus at the extreme left/right edges of my screen. I find this acceptable. Again, this may be where my expectations are out of line with everyone else’️s. For example, this HT3550 has better focus uniformity than the last UHd65 I looked at and that unit sells for $800 more than this and uses the better DmD. I’️ve seen examples on this forum of members who have spent thousands more for higher end projectors with similar issues. You cannot expect TV/monitor levels of sharpness out of a projector. Let alone an affordable, pixel shifter like the BenQ.

Again, clearly you’️ve had some issues with your HT3550 buying experience. That sucks and if I were in your shoes I’️d likely be in the exact same place complaining about the projector and BenQ’️s QC. I appreciate your response but it seems to me a lot of what you have experienced comes down to a defective projector. I mean, let’️s talk about it and see how many more people are having these types of problems. The reason for my post is to more clearly define this nebulous “HT3550 issues!” with some clear facts of what is and isn’️t a problem and what has and hasn’️t been fixed. One person has one problem and it gets tossed in the pile where it’️s assumed everyone is having that problem. And then that is just parroted over and over in some cases by members who have never even laid eyes on one of these! There are HT3550’️s that are issue-free and there are HT3550 owners who are happy with their purchase. Believe it or not! Lol! We should not ignore the problems but I think a lot of happy owners have been sort of forced out of the conversation with all the constant negativity. Which I have to say: bless you @subacabra for carrying the torch for a little positivity around here! [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
CA is still an issue ... to say it’s inherently baked into this projector and it’s optics does not dismiss it from being an issue and makes it okay. I’m fine with the amount mine has and like I’ve stated previously I don’t really see it anyway while watching content so it’s not a deal breaker for me but it’s still an issue and worthy of being talked about.

I’m not sure of the exact number complaining about XPR but I’d guesstimate it’s more like 4-5 including myself ... several, at its definition, is more that a couple, essential 3 to 4 or more ... “several” is proper wording. And there has definitely been more than just me talking about the Barrel distortion.

My talking about the HDMI sync is more born from the two units I’ve personally had. The first had zero issues, the second one has issues. Nothing has changed in that scenario except the projector. That irregularity in HDMI sync almost certainly points to something. Again, this discussion was born from you desire to define “tons” when it came to issues, you counted three, I counted more than three so I’ve added to that list. The HDMI sync has been talked about by people hence it’s an issue. If we are here I’d bet a good portion of us understand the limitations of HDMI, but again, it’s been talked about so it’s worthy of being mentioned.

Sharpness, again, it’s been talked about and therefore it’s worthy of being added to the discussion. Again, if a persons here and they’ve lived in the projector world they most likely understand a projectors limitations and take that into account when speaking of such things. To assume people do not understand projectors or sharpness or hdmi cables or any of the limitations these things have when talking about issues is not good form. Sure, the same case can be made for assuming most people know these things but I’d lean that way before assuming most people are daft when they are nerdy enough to belong to and actively participate in an AV forum

I’m all for having the conversation on issues, hence my additions, and while you view them as a constant of negativity I view it as information. There has been talk of other things like fan noise and the like that I think are not an issue and a reasonable by product of what the projector is or very limited that they didn’t warrant addition, but I certainly believe CA, Barrel distortion, sharpness & the XPR/Lack of pop issues are worth noting and discussing.

As for positivity I stated in a post just after the one you quoted I love this projector when it’s functioning, it throws and killer image and nothing would give me greater joy to have what subacabra has and I can’t wait to get there. But not talking about the issues because we’re sowing a perception of doom and gloom is just as bad as not singing it’s praises when it deserved ... I’m bummed we don’t have more of the latter.

Beer Massif/ve Beers :: U.S. based windbag who won't shut up about beer :: Lord Commander of the Beer Massif Podcast ::youtube.com/massivebeers
BenQ W1070 | 100" Dalite Fixed Screen
Onkyo NR-676 | BIC America: DV64 Towers : DV62CLR-S Center : DV62si Surrounds : V1020 Sub
Intel 2600k at 4.6GHZ w/ Asus GTX1070 | Playstation 4 | Playstation 3
futurecode is offline  
post #4068 of 4747 Old 07-06-2019, 11:00 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So, ive looked at and compared my 01.101 may unit and my 02.101(now 102) june unit!
Il go deeper later on, but im taking it short right now!

Colours looks wonderful on both units so thats very good!
But i noticed directly that i have a mirror not working?
Cus on black background its a white dot and on white background its a black dot!
Didnt even know that this could happen on a projector?

And i have a question to you guys!
My new unit have a pin on the focus wheel so its easier to adjust!
But my 2 other unit did not have this?
Focus is 99% even and that looks realy, realy good👍

Do yours have this little pin?

Best regards mr Flux
sage11x likes this.
HuxFlux is offline  
post #4069 of 4747 Old 07-06-2019, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 6,612
Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked: 2752
Quote:
Originally Posted by wk11793 View Post
Are most of those issues regarding the optics fairly common though on budget projectors? I seem to remember similar complaints about the W1070.

Glass in this price range, yes.

Here’s a statement that will upset some folks: while I never got hands on with the original W1070, every subsequent HT1075, HT2050 and HT2050A that I’ve seen has exhibited CA.

There was one gentleman who went back to his original BenQ and discovered it had CA that he hadn’t noticed over several years prior until looking at it with the same scrutiny.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
sage11x is online now  
post #4070 of 4747 Old 07-06-2019, 11:41 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Yep, my second projector i owned was a w1070 and it had simular CA problem and focus uniformity as w2700!
But i baught it cheap of a friend so i accepted it!

On my 2 other w2700 i noticed moving it closer from 3.30m to 3m
made a big positive impact on the uniformity of focus?

Anyone noticed that?

Best regards mr Flux
sage11x likes this.
HuxFlux is offline  
post #4071 of 4747 Old 07-06-2019, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 6,612
Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked: 2752
BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurecode View Post
CA is still an issue ... to say it’s inherently baked into this projector and it’s optics does not dismiss it from being an issue and makes it okay. I’m fine with the amount mine has and like I’ve stated previously I don’t really see it anyway while watching content so it’s not a deal breaker for me but it’s still an issue and worthy of being talked about.

I’m not sure of the exact number complaining about XPR but I’d guesstimate it’s more like 4-5 including myself ... several, at its definition, is more that a couple, essential 3 to 4 or more ... “several” is proper wording. And there has definitely been more than just me talking about the Barrel distortion.

My talking about the HDMI sync is more born from the two units I’ve personally had. The first had zero issues, the second one has issues. Nothing has changed in that scenario except the projector. That irregularity in HDMI sync almost certainly points to something. Again, this discussion was born from you desire to define “tons” when it came to issues, you counted three, I counted more than three so I’ve added to that list. The HDMI sync has been talked about by people hence it’s an issue. If we are here I’d bet a good portion of us understand the limitations of HDMI, but again, it’s been talked about so it’s worthy of being mentioned.

Sharpness, again, it’s been talked about and therefore it’s worthy of being added to the discussion. Again, if a persons here and they’ve lived in the projector world they most likely understand a projectors limitations and take that into account when speaking of such things. To assume people do not understand projectors or sharpness or hdmi cables or any of the limitations these things have when talking about issues is not good form. Sure, the same case can be made for assuming most people know these things but I’d lean that way before assuming most people are daft when they are nerdy enough to belong to and actively participate in an AV forum

I’m all for having the conversation on issues, hence my additions, and while you view them as a constant of negativity I view it as information. There has been talk of other things like fan noise and the like that I think are not an issue and a reasonable by product of what the projector is or very limited that they didn’t warrant addition, but I certainly believe CA, Barrel distortion, sharpness & the XPR/Lack of pop issues are worth noting and discussing.

As for positivity I stated in a post just after the one you quoted I love this projector when it’s functioning, it throws and killer image and nothing would give me greater joy to have what subacabra has and I can’t wait to get there. But not talking about the issues because we’re sowing a perception of doom and gloom is just as bad as not singing it’s praises when it deserved ... I’m bummed we don’t have more of the latter.


So I just said twice that the CA is an issue and I never said to ignore it. My point, again, is that it isn’t an issue I would be holding my breath will be fixed. CA is something you have to accept if you buy this projector. It’s clear to me that this is less a problem and more an aspect of this particular model. I I suppose you could buy the projector and NOT accept it but I don’t know how happy you’d be complaining every day.

Let me put it another way: You mention fan noise as being something that doesn’t bother you. Fan noise is one of the two complaints I made about this projector when I reviewed it. I find the fan noise borderline annoying in normal/smarteco. But I have no expectation that this is something that will be fixed: it’s an aspect of this model. If you want a whisper quiet projector in it’s brightest setting— maybe this isn’t for you. And that’s
OK as long as people have a way to read about this ahead of time.


As for the XPR thing— you say you guesstimate 4-5? I guess I need to see more reports. I just looked back over the last 2 months and I count exactly 2. Maybe I missed someone but your answer doesn’t give me a lot of confidence to spend more time looking.

Other than that I think we’re mostly in agreement—

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
sage11x is online now  
post #4072 of 4747 Old 07-06-2019, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 6,612
Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked: 2752
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuxFlux View Post
So, ive looked at and compared my 01.101 may unit and my 02.101(now 102) june unit!

Il go deeper later on, but im taking it short right now!



Colours looks wonderful on both units so thats very good!

But i noticed directly that i have a mirror not working?

Cus on black background its a white dot and on white background its a black dot!

Didnt even know that this could happen on a projector?



And i have a question to you guys!

My new unit have a pin on the focus wheel so its easier to adjust!

But my 2 other unit did not have this?

Focus is 99% even and that looks realy, realy good



Do yours have this little pin?



Best regards mr Flux


It’s pretty typical for BenQ to make improvements to their products over time. I remember when they modified the Ht3050 to drop it’s original, fairly atrocious lag.

Would you mind taking a picture and sharing with the thread?

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
sage11x is online now  
post #4073 of 4747 Old 07-06-2019, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 6,612
Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked: 2752
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuxFlux View Post
Yep, my second projector i owned was a w1070 and it had simular CA problem and focus uniformity as w2700!

But i baught it cheap of a friend so i accepted it!



On my 2 other w2700 i noticed moving it closer from 3.30m to 3m

made a big positive impact on the uniformity of focus?



Anyone noticed that?



Best regards mr Flux


The telephoto zoom lens on the Ht3550 is the main culprit in it’s CA so I wouldn’t be surprised if focus was a little more uniform as you reduce it. I haven’t noticed this myself on my projector.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
sage11x is online now  
post #4074 of 4747 Old 07-06-2019, 12:33 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuxFlux View Post
So, had some problems with my first unit (01.100 april)

Recived my second (01.101 may) and that one had hdmi problems, uneaven focus, picture movement
when adjusting focus and zoom and CA!
Needed to adjust focus everyday when i started it, cus it got out of focus by it self?

Recived my third (02.101 june) but havnt uppdated it yet. Have the second and third unit at home but havnt had the chance to compare them side by side yet!

It probably got a new lens cus its very smooth an also have a pin on the focus wheel (just like the zoom wheel)?
Almost perfect focus across the screen.

So i will compare them a bit closer later on!

Best regards mr Flux
I had exactly the same problems with 2 April 01-101 units as you had.

Can you tell me from which Benq did you get units? US or Europe?

Are you now satisfied with third unit (02.101 june)? Is there CA the same amount as on first two units (is it any better)?
jankometka is offline  
post #4075 of 4747 Old 07-06-2019, 01:06 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 241
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
Can't answer for the screen, but the pj will switch into hdr mode. The screen will black out for a few seconds then will enter hdr10.
You can confirm by pressing the menu button and will see it on the picture mode.

Just tried a different cable and nope.


I just see Cinema in Picture Mode.
ng4ever is offline  
post #4076 of 4747 Old 07-06-2019, 01:07 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 241
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Oh yeah I do have the highest most expensive Netflix plan too.
ng4ever is offline  
post #4077 of 4747 Old 07-06-2019, 01:07 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 241
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 22
This is the cable I am trying right now too.



https://www.bestbuy.com/site/rocketf...?skuId=3720011


Sorry.
ng4ever is offline  
post #4078 of 4747 Old 07-06-2019, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
subacabra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Hillsborough, New Jersey
Posts: 2,566
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1696 Post(s)
Liked: 4922
Quote:
Originally Posted by ng4ever View Post
Just tried a different cable and nope.


I just see Cinema in Picture Mode.
What's your signal path? Going thru an avr?
subacabra is online now  
post #4079 of 4747 Old 07-06-2019, 01:31 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 241
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
What's your signal path? Going thru an avr?

Nope.



Directly from the Roku Premiere to the BenQ HT3550 projector.



Why ?


Thanks.
ng4ever is offline  
post #4080 of 4747 Old 07-06-2019, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
subacabra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Hillsborough, New Jersey
Posts: 2,566
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1696 Post(s)
Liked: 4922
Quote:
Originally Posted by ng4ever View Post
Nope.



Directly from the Roku Premiere to the BenQ HT3550 projector.



Why ?


Thanks.
If you were running through a receiver I thought maybe could be a setting in that.
Hmm, have you tried any hdr videos on YouTube?
subacabra is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off