BenQ W2700 / HT3550 Announcement and Owner’s Thread - Page 137 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2631Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #4081 of 4624 Old 07-06-2019, 01:47 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
If you were running through a receiver I thought maybe could be a setting in that.
Hmm, have you tried any hdr videos on YouTube?

Ok.


Kinda but didn't see HDR symbol on them either.



This is so weird.



I wonder what it could be?
ng4ever is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4082 of 4624 Old 07-06-2019, 01:50 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Nope YouTube videos that come with HDR do not play on my projector with HDR through the Roku
ng4ever is offline  
post #4083 of 4624 Old 07-06-2019, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
subacabra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Hillsborough, New Jersey
Posts: 2,510
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1658 Post(s)
Liked: 4816
Quote:
Originally Posted by ng4ever View Post
Nope YouTube videos that come with HDR do not play on my projector with HDR through the Roku
I'm out of ideas.. Maybe try the other hdmi input on the pj?
subacabra is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4084 of 4624 Old 07-06-2019, 01:57 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
I'm out of ideas.. Maybe try the other hdmi input on the pj?

Good idea!



Thanks.
subacabra likes this.
ng4ever is offline  
post #4085 of 4624 Old 07-06-2019, 02:41 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Weird I got HDR well HDR10 which I think is the same thing working when connecting the same cord from my computer's video card to the projector!



Of course I had to enable HDR in Windows 10.
ng4ever is offline  
post #4086 of 4624 Old 07-06-2019, 02:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Omg I am so stupid. I just found this. https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Roku_Premiere_(4620X)


Roku Premiere does not support HDR


Stupid Stupid Stupid.



Only the Roku Premiere+ which we do have in the other room. Going to switch them out and see if it makes a difference. Should.
subacabra likes this.
ng4ever is offline  
post #4087 of 4624 Old 07-06-2019, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
subacabra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Hillsborough, New Jersey
Posts: 2,510
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1658 Post(s)
Liked: 4816
Quote:
Originally Posted by ng4ever View Post
Omg I am so stupid. I just found this. https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Roku_Premiere_(4620X)


Roku Premiere does not support HDR


Stupid Stupid Stupid.



Only the Roku Premiere+ which we do have in the other room. Going to switch them out and see if it makes a difference. Should.
Oh snap! That would definitely explain it lol!
ng4ever likes this.
subacabra is online now  
post #4088 of 4624 Old 07-07-2019, 01:56 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
It’s pretty typical for BenQ to make improvements to their products over time. I remember when they modified the Ht3050 to drop it’s original, fairly atrocious lag.

Would you mind taking a picture and sharing with the thread?
So been testing them out and all i can say is "wow"!
Colours seems to have the same pop but the 02 looks just a tad brighter?
Did more than one comparision but heres one that i think everybody here alredy seen
If the focus gets of, thats only my p20 pro trying to refocus!
Have 2 apple tv 4k in 4k sdr and rgb low

Settings are: Cinema, normal light, gamma 2.2, colour enhancer 2, pixel enhancer 4k 5, iris high, briliant colour on

And for me HDR in the projector needs to be of, cus colours and contrast seems to be better that way

The 02 is as i already said, sharper and clearer all around

My unit have a bit higher XPR noise and a dot that seems to be a mirror(pixel) not working correctly?

Enjoy the movie


Best regards mr Flux
theagent and jfjer like this.
HuxFlux is offline  
post #4089 of 4624 Old 07-07-2019, 05:14 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Here is an other clip, same settings as the other one!

In Cinema mode and ECO colours looks more muted and neutral that for me works pretty good while watching movies!
But i feel when gaming it needs a bit more pop in colours so im using Bright mode for that and changed some settings!

Bulb mode from " lamps own mode" to " normal"! You get rid of the greenish tone by doing so!
Then ive taking the colour settings ( red, blue, green, yellow, cyan and magenta) from Vivid mode.

You get a brighter image in ECO that have more pop in colours

Try it if you want, and write what you think

Best regards mr Flux

theagent and jfjer like this.
HuxFlux is offline  
post #4090 of 4624 Old 07-07-2019, 05:39 PM
Member
 
theagent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 14
@HuxFlux , I think colors and contrast look better on the right, but could that be because you have the wall closer on the left bouncing the reflection and washing it out a bit? Difficult to get an idea of the clarity from those videos, but if you're saying it's better on the 02 then that's good to hear.
theagent is offline  
post #4091 of 4624 Old 07-07-2019, 11:10 PM
Member
 
Randomite's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
Watching some Stranger Things over here and the pj is performing perfectly. Here's a couple videos. (No spoilers really)
Hey subacabra, I have a question about your experience watching ST Season 3:

1. Do the blues look really saturated and vibrant to you on the default HDR10 settings? Especially the color of Steve's uniform and the blue neon lighting at the mall?

2. Also, I don't know if you re-watched Season 2 or not, but yellow lighting such as lamps tended to look pretty "orange-red" to me in many scenes.

I was just wondering if that's how it was supposed to be or if my unit is pushing the saturation on HDR content too high.
Randomite is online now  
post #4092 of 4624 Old 07-08-2019, 12:55 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by theagent View Post
@HuxFlux , I think colors and contrast look better on the right, but could that be because you have the wall closer on the left bouncing the reflection and washing it out a bit? Difficult to get an idea of the clarity from those videos, but if you're saying it's better on the 02 then that's good to hear.
Yea, noticed that to in the video, but almost not noticeble in real Life!
But its probably light reflection bouncing from the wall and also i dont have the best camera to record it with!
I also had both on the screen in the same time and covering one projector then the next and when i did so, colours where the same. But a bit sharper and clearer on the 02!
But as i said my 02 gives just a bit brighter picture overall!
So all i can say is it seems that benq working hard to fix the qirks some of us have

I tried checking of the HDR box again in the projector but in some videos the picture goes very dark, so im leaving it on!

Best regards mr Flux
HuxFlux is offline  
post #4093 of 4624 Old 07-08-2019, 05:42 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey guys just thought I’d ask a question and Involve myself in all this as I’ve been following the thread for a while and am new to projectors.
I have the w2700 apparently I have the second one released to public in Australia, I bought it on a presale at start of the year while planning for our media room.
I have it on a 150” screen, I got the premium one as appears to the “standard one from Selby. I think there isn’t much difference between the two but I’m not 100%. I bought a 10m optic fibre hdmi for between projector and receiver and a few belkin hdmi cables to deliver the image to the receiver.
It’s all running through a new Yamaha A3080 running 7.4.1 atmos setup.
Mainly use Apple TV 4K but we also play UHD’s through Samsung 4K player and the odd Xbox game.

I’ve never owned a projector so I have nothing but my OLED and QLED TVs to compare to.
I notice the picture to be grainy. I’ve reduced the image size on the screen and it still seems grainy. Though I am impressed with picture quality, it’s not as good as I would of hoped.
One thing that annoys the crap outta me is when I start the projector 9/10 it will have one side dimmed and one side normal. It’s like the HDR or so me thing doesn’t work on one side of the lamp or optics or whatever is in there.
I’ve tried downloading the new firmware and putting on flash stick but have had no luck at all with that, it just says something like “no new firmware in USB” or something. I’ve tried many times on many different flash sticks. I think it is version 1.0.2. Do you just unzip and copy the file directly over? Or just the contents?

I thought possibly the firmware might fix the split screen dimming as it annoys me. Also t he projector gives off a lot of heat and is quite noisy (just fan noise and some times a light buzz hum like it’s doing something up in that mysterious box.
So yeah questions
Firmware upgrade?
Heat?
Noise?
Split screen dimming?
Grainy?
Best settings?

Cheers people
Azztrix is offline  
post #4094 of 4624 Old 07-08-2019, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
subacabra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Hillsborough, New Jersey
Posts: 2,510
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1658 Post(s)
Liked: 4816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomite View Post
Hey subacabra, I have a question about your experience watching ST Season 3:



1. Do the blues look really saturated and vibrant to you on the default HDR10 settings? Especially the color of Steve's uniform and the blue neon lighting at the mall?



2. Also, I don't know if you re-watched Season 2 or not, but yellow lighting such as lamps tended to look pretty "orange-red" to me in many scenes.



I was just wondering if that's how it was supposed to be or if my unit is pushing the saturation on HDR content too high.
Hey there Randomite. I watched season 3 using the Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity settings I posted earlier. Everything looked great, I didn't notice any over saturation of blues on his outfit or the blue neon in the mall scenes. Colors looked pretty much spot on.
I did go back and watch some scenes on my calibrated 900e and they looked very similar to the pj.
I haven't gone back and watched some season 2 but I will when I get a chance and report back.

*Oh, if you are watching with the wcg filter on and bc off, blues do tend to get over saturated. *
I watch with both on.
subacabra is online now  
post #4095 of 4624 Old 07-08-2019, 11:44 AM
Member
 
Randomite's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
Hey there Randomite. I watched season 3 using the Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity settings I posted earlier. Everything looked great, I didn't notice any over saturation of blues on his outfit or the blue neon in the mall scenes. Colors looked pretty much spot on.
I did go back and watch some scenes on my calibrated 900e and they looked very similar to the pj.
I haven't gone back and watched some season 2 but I will when I get a chance and report back.

*Oh, if you are watching with the wcg filter on and bc off, blues do tend to get over saturated. *
I watch with both on.
So I'm actually using those exact settings too (color management adjustments, WCG and BC both ON), and to my eyes pretty much all the colors, but especially those shades of blue that I mentioned pop like crazy. I don't know if the show is shot that way or if it's my Nvidia Shield's output, but I'm kinda paranoid that the HDR or Tone Mapping on my unit (which is a replacement) is not accurate - which is a big reason I got this PJ in the first place.

I know videos like the ones you posted aren't the best representation of what the eye sees so I'm still not 100% on this, but lord I wish we could be more confident in the consistency of this SKU.

Oh and thanks again for your response. I can report back later with exact timestamps on S2 so it's easier for you to check.
subacabra likes this.
Randomite is online now  
post #4096 of 4624 Old 07-08-2019, 12:37 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azztrix View Post
Hey guys just thought I’d ask a question and Involve myself in all this as I’ve been following the thread for a while and am new to projectors.
I have the w2700 apparently I have the second one released to public in Australia, I bought it on a presale at start of the year while planning for our media room.
I have it on a 150” screen, I got the premium one as appears to the “standard one from Selby. I think there isn’t much difference between the two but I’m not 100%. I bought a 10m optic fibre hdmi for between projector and receiver and a few belkin hdmi cables to deliver the image to the receiver.
It’s all running through a new Yamaha A3080 running 7.4.1 atmos setup.
Mainly use Apple TV 4K but we also play UHD’s through Samsung 4K player and the odd Xbox game.

I’ve never owned a projector so I have nothing but my OLED and QLED TVs to compare to.
I notice the picture to be grainy. I’ve reduced the image size on the screen and it still seems grainy. Though I am impressed with picture quality, it’s not as good as I would of hoped.
One thing that annoys the crap outta me is when I start the projector 9/10 it will have one side dimmed and one side normal. It’s like the HDR or so me thing doesn’t work on one side of the lamp or optics or whatever is in there.
I’ve tried downloading the new firmware and putting on flash stick but have had no luck at all with that, it just says something like “no new firmware in USB” or something. I’ve tried many times on many different flash sticks. I think it is version 1.0.2. Do you just unzip and copy the file directly over? Or just the contents?

I thought possibly the firmware might fix the split screen dimming as it annoys me. Also t he projector gives off a lot of heat and is quite noisy (just fan noise and some times a light buzz hum like it’s doing something up in that mysterious box.
So yeah questions
Firmware upgrade?
Heat?
Noise?
Split screen dimming?
Grainy?
Best settings?

Cheers people
I was underwhelmed with the picture when I first fired mine up, but the firmware upgrade to 1.01 made a huge difference to me. I would recommend starting with the firmware upgrade, I think that will take care of most of your issues.
I can't remember exactly how to upgrade, if it had to be unzipped first or not.
fletcherthunder is offline  
post #4097 of 4624 Old 07-08-2019, 12:56 PM
Member
 
Randomite's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azztrix View Post
Hey guys just thought I’d ask a question and Involve myself in all this as I’ve been following the thread for a while and am new to projectors.
I have the w2700 apparently I have the second one released to public in Australia, I bought it on a presale at start of the year while planning for our media room.
I have it on a 150” screen, I got the premium one as appears to the “standard one from Selby. I think there isn’t much difference between the two but I’m not 100%. I bought a 10m optic fibre hdmi for between projector and receiver and a few belkin hdmi cables to deliver the image to the receiver.
It’s all running through a new Yamaha A3080 running 7.4.1 atmos setup.
Mainly use Apple TV 4K but we also play UHD’s through Samsung 4K player and the odd Xbox game.

I’ve never owned a projector so I have nothing but my OLED and QLED TVs to compare to.
I notice the picture to be grainy. I’ve reduced the image size on the screen and it still seems grainy. Though I am impressed with picture quality, it’s not as good as I would of hoped.
One thing that annoys the crap outta me is when I start the projector 9/10 it will have one side dimmed and one side normal. It’s like the HDR or so me thing doesn’t work on one side of the lamp or optics or whatever is in there.
I’ve tried downloading the new firmware and putting on flash stick but have had no luck at all with that, it just says something like “no new firmware in USB” or something. I’ve tried many times on many different flash sticks. I think it is version 1.0.2. Do you just unzip and copy the file directly over? Or just the contents?

I thought possibly the firmware might fix the split screen dimming as it annoys me. Also t he projector gives off a lot of heat and is quite noisy (just fan noise and some times a light buzz hum like it’s doing something up in that mysterious box.
So yeah questions
Firmware upgrade?
Heat?
Noise?
Split screen dimming?
Grainy?
Best settings?

Cheers people
Make sure you do a quick format on the usb and that FAT32 is chosen under File System option (see screenshot).

What you need to copy to the usb drive is the zip file named "update_signed" that is within the zip file that you download from the BenQ website. So unzip the file that you download, then copy the update_signed.zip file to the usb drive.

Good Luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-07-08 14_53_50-Backup.png
Views:	44
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	2588814  
sage11x likes this.
Randomite is online now  
post #4098 of 4624 Old 07-08-2019, 11:17 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azztrix View Post
Hey guys just thought I’d ask a question and Involve myself in all this as I’ve been following the thread for a while and am new to projectors.
I have the w2700 apparently I have the second one released to public in Australia, I bought it on a presale at start of the year while planning for our media room.
I have it on a 150” screen, I got the premium one as appears to the “standard one from Selby. I think there isn’t much difference between the two but I’m not 100%. I bought a 10m optic fibre hdmi for between projector and receiver and a few belkin hdmi cables to deliver the image to the receiver.
It’s all running through a new Yamaha A3080 running 7.4.1 atmos setup.
Mainly use Apple TV 4K but we also play UHD’s through Samsung 4K player and the odd Xbox game.

I’ve never owned a projector so I have nothing but my OLED and QLED TVs to compare to.
I notice the picture to be grainy. I’ve reduced the image size on the screen and it still seems grainy. Though I am impressed with picture quality, it’s not as good as I would of hoped.
One thing that annoys the crap outta me is when I start the projector 9/10 it will have one side dimmed and one side normal. It’s like the HDR or so me thing doesn’t work on one side of the lamp or optics or whatever is in there.
I’ve tried downloading the new firmware and putting on flash stick but have had no luck at all with that, it just says something like “no new firmware in USB” or something. I’ve tried many times on many different flash sticks. I think it is version 1.0.2. Do you just unzip and copy the file directly over? Or just the contents?

I thought possibly the firmware might fix the split screen dimming as it annoys me. Also t he projector gives off a lot of heat and is quite noisy (just fan noise and some times a light buzz hum like it’s doing something up in that mysterious box.
So yeah questions
Firmware upgrade?
Heat?
Noise?
Split screen dimming?
Grainy?
Best settings?

Cheers people
The half half thing is the brilliant colour ( or whatever it was called). On original firmware, like you I had the same problem almost all the time. Currently running v1.02 and it's gotten much better so definitely work on getting yours updated.

I wouldn't compare the image with your OLED TV, the OLED will blow it and any other projector away. Graininess wise may be just the size your projecting? Or could just be your screen material. I know the elite screen is much smoother looking than my current cheapo eBay screen so screen does affect overall appearance.
Zorrt is offline  
post #4099 of 4624 Old 07-08-2019, 11:46 PM
Member
 
Randomite's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
Hey there Randomite. I watched season 3 using the Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity settings I posted earlier. Everything looked great, I didn't notice any over saturation of blues on his outfit or the blue neon in the mall scenes. Colors looked pretty much spot on.
I did go back and watch some scenes on my calibrated 900e and they looked very similar to the pj.
I haven't gone back and watched some season 2 but I will when I get a chance and report back.

*Oh, if you are watching with the wcg filter on and bc off, blues do tend to get over saturated. *
I watch with both on.
Hey so I recorded one of the scenes you put up and another from S3 E01 where Steve is working the counter at the ice cream joint to highlight what I mean by blue saturation. This is with the exact settings from hometheaterhifi.com. Let me know what you think:


Randomite is online now  
post #4100 of 4624 Old 07-09-2019, 06:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
subacabra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Hillsborough, New Jersey
Posts: 2,510
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1658 Post(s)
Liked: 4816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomite View Post
Hey so I recorded one of the scenes you put up and another from S3 E01 where Steve is working the counter at the ice cream joint to highlight what I mean by blue saturation. This is with the exact settings from hometheaterhifi.com. Let me know what you think:



https://youtu.be/ufflblS2_tI



https://youtu.be/9eyYEuFhPno
Hmm, I mean from here it looks fine and pretty much like mine. When I was watching I thought everything was good looking and not over saturated.
That one shot of the escalators def has a lot of blue neon lighting etc but still looks nice I'd say.
sage11x likes this.
subacabra is online now  
post #4101 of 4624 Old 07-09-2019, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 6,552
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2726 Post(s)
Liked: 2707
Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
Hmm, I mean from here it looks fine and pretty much like mine. When I was watching I thought everything was good looking and not over saturated.
That one shot of the escalators def has a lot of blue neon lighting etc but still looks nice I'd say.


I just watched the first two episodes last night.

Those vids look like what I saw. I see no issues here but then I’ve been accused of having less than stellar eyesight when it comes to highly compressed YouTube vids. The only really challenging scene during the first two episodes was the scene in episode 1 standing outside the mall under the blue neon lights. This scene looked a bit noisy but then I watched it on my VT60 and it was actually noisier so that appears to just be the scene.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
sage11x is offline  
post #4102 of 4624 Old 07-09-2019, 10:56 AM
Senior Member
 
NxNW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 397
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Ordered direct from BenQ in July, the box I got says manufactured in May, hw rev 02-101, see photo.
Interesting stickers regarding various firmware revisions right there on the outside of the box.

Speaking of stickers, the box had obviously been resealed, there was a new clear sticker over the sliced open clear sticker.

The unit inside appeared totally fine, just as one would expect if they had never visited this forum. As it was, I gave it a really really close inspection and it was still fine, dare I say perfect. They could possibly improve things by having everyone who touches the thing wear cotton gloves right up until sealing the box, since that awesome brushed metal front panel material seems prone to showing a bit of handling (if, say, you're really fastidious and you breathe on it to expose smudges :> ). Anyway the lens was pristine.

The proof of course is in the operation of the unit. I'll turn it on when it gets dark. For now, just enjoying the usual unboxing fun.

Having created a few calibration reports in my life, can I just say the piece of paper in the box is not especially meaningful. It's a nice touch and is entirely consistent with their marketing message surrounding color accuracy, but you wouldn't hold it up as proof of a serious "calibration".

Ok since we're all friends here and it's a slow news day I just had to share the results of my research into the totally mysterious rebus printed on the case right next to the lens. RG2? Huh? Never heard that one before. I googled it. It stands for Risk Group 2. Upshot, don't look into the lens when the projector is running. Which the rebus might have conveyed better by leaving out the RG2 part. Thank you so much for that warning. Not just unnecessary but totally cryptic to boot.

More info (in plain English) on risk groups:

https://ctech.ul.com/wp-content/uplo...11_V1-LR-1.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190709_095703.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	828.6 KB
ID:	2589126   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190709_095439.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	2589128  

Last edited by NxNW; 07-09-2019 at 12:02 PM.
NxNW is offline  
post #4103 of 4624 Old 07-09-2019, 02:30 PM
Member
 
theagent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxNW View Post
Ordered direct from BenQ in July, the box I got says manufactured in May, hw rev 02-101, see photo.
Interesting stickers regarding various firmware revisions right there on the outside of the box.

Speaking of stickers, the box had obviously been resealed, there was a new clear sticker over the sliced open clear sticker.

The unit inside appeared totally fine, just as one would expect if they had never visited this forum. As it was, I gave it a really really close inspection and it was still fine, dare I say perfect. They could possibly improve things by having everyone who touches the thing wear cotton gloves right up until sealing the box, since that awesome brushed metal front panel material seems prone to showing a bit of handling (if, say, you're really fastidious and you breathe on it to expose smudges :> ). Anyway the lens was pristine.

The proof of course is in the operation of the unit. I'll turn it on when it gets dark. For now, just enjoying the usual unboxing fun.

Having created a few calibration reports in my life, can I just say the piece of paper in the box is not especially meaningful. It's a nice touch and is entirely consistent with their marketing message surrounding color accuracy, but you wouldn't hold it up as proof of a serious "calibration".

Ok since we're all friends here and it's a slow news day I just had to share the results of my research into the totally mysterious rebus printed on the case right next to the lens. RG2? Huh? Never heard that one before. I googled it. It stands for Risk Group 2. Upshot, don't look into the lens when the projector is running. Which the rebus might have conveyed better by leaving out the RG2 part. Thank you so much for that warning. Not just unnecessary but totally cryptic to boot.

More info (in plain English) on risk groups:

https://ctech.ul.com/wp-content/uplo...11_V1-LR-1.pdf

Another May unit that was opened and resealed. I said earlier that I bet if we polled the owners of May units we'd find that their boxes were opened and resealed, I think it's definitely looking that way. Check that the throw on yours is normal. The lens should align with the bottom (or top if it's mounted upside down) of the picture. Mine isn't. I think they put it in upside down, because the direction of the vertical shift is completely off.
theagent is offline  
post #4104 of 4624 Old 07-09-2019, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member
 
sparky7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: reno,nv.
Posts: 593
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Has anyone had problems with SBS 3D I can't seem to get it to work. Field sequential works fine.

mark
sparky7 is offline  
post #4105 of 4624 Old 07-09-2019, 09:58 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxNW View Post
Ordered direct from BenQ in July, the box I got says manufactured in May, hw rev 02-101, see photo.
Interesting stickers regarding various firmware revisions right there on the outside of the box.

Speaking of stickers, the box had obviously been resealed, there was a new clear sticker over the sliced open clear sticker.

The unit inside appeared totally fine, just as one would expect if they had never visited this forum. As it was, I gave it a really really close inspection and it was still fine, dare I say perfect. They could possibly improve things by having everyone who touches the thing wear cotton gloves right up until sealing the box, since that awesome brushed metal front panel material seems prone to showing a bit of handling (if, say, you're really fastidious and you breathe on it to expose smudges :> ). Anyway the lens was pristine.

The proof of course is in the operation of the unit. I'll turn it on when it gets dark. For now, just enjoying the usual unboxing fun.

Having created a few calibration reports in my life, can I just say the piece of paper in the box is not especially meaningful. It's a nice touch and is entirely consistent with their marketing message surrounding color accuracy, but you wouldn't hold it up as proof of a serious "calibration".

Ok since we're all friends here and it's a slow news day I just had to share the results of my research into the totally mysterious rebus printed on the case right next to the lens. RG2? Huh? Never heard that one before. I googled it. It stands for Risk Group 2. Upshot, don't look into the lens when the projector is running. Which the rebus might have conveyed better by leaving out the RG2 part. Thank you so much for that warning. Not just unnecessary but totally cryptic to boot.

More info (in plain English) on risk groups:

https://ctech.ul.com/wp-content/uplo...11_V1-LR-1.pdf
I asked representative from Benq Europa, why both projectors were opened. He told me that they must open projectors to add Netflix promotion in the box.

I don't know if this is true. At least they have good excuse to open box boxes and do whatever they do.

Both were April, rev 01-101 units.
jankometka is offline  
post #4106 of 4624 Old 07-10-2019, 04:21 AM
Newbie
 
The_Weird's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky7 View Post
Has anyone had problems with SBS 3D I can't seem to get it to work. Field sequential works fine.

mark
Think someone else had a similar issue - it was that SBS video was being output in upscaled 4K, but frame packed is 1080P 3D. The projector only supports 3D up to 1080P.
The_Weird is online now  
post #4107 of 4624 Old 07-10-2019, 06:36 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxNW View Post
Ordered direct from BenQ in July, the box I got says manufactured in May, hw rev 02-101, see photo.
Interesting stickers regarding various firmware revisions right there on the outside of the box.

Speaking of stickers, the box had obviously been resealed, there was a new clear sticker over the sliced open clear sticker.

The unit inside appeared totally fine, just as one would expect if they had never visited this forum. As it was, I gave it a really really close inspection and it was still fine, dare I say perfect. They could possibly improve things by having everyone who touches the thing wear cotton gloves right up until sealing the box, since that awesome brushed metal front panel material seems prone to showing a bit of handling (if, say, you're really fastidious and you breathe on it to expose smudges :> ). Anyway the lens was pristine.

The proof of course is in the operation of the unit. I'll turn it on when it gets dark. For now, just enjoying the usual unboxing fun.

Having created a few calibration reports in my life, can I just say the piece of paper in the box is not especially meaningful. It's a nice touch and is entirely consistent with their marketing message surrounding color accuracy, but you wouldn't hold it up as proof of a serious "calibration".

Ok since we're all friends here and it's a slow news day I just had to share the results of my research into the totally mysterious rebus printed on the case right next to the lens. RG2? Huh? Never heard that one before. I googled it. It stands for Risk Group 2. Upshot, don't look into the lens when the projector is running. Which the rebus might have conveyed better by leaving out the RG2 part. Thank you so much for that warning. Not just unnecessary but totally cryptic to boot.

More info (in plain English) on risk groups:

https://ctech.ul.com/wp-content/uplo...11_V1-LR-1.pdf

What is the beggining of the S/N ? Should start with PV**K
tipitch59 is offline  
post #4108 of 4624 Old 07-10-2019, 06:43 AM
Senior Member
 
home4sale2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 219
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomite View Post
So I'm actually using those exact settings too (color management adjustments, WCG and BC both ON), and to my eyes pretty much all the colors, but especially those shades of blue that I mentioned pop like crazy. I don't know if the show is shot that way or if it's my Nvidia Shield's output, but I'm kinda paranoid that the HDR or Tone Mapping on my unit (which is a replacement) is not accurate - which is a big reason I got this PJ in the first place.

I know videos like the ones you posted aren't the best representation of what the eye sees so I'm still not 100% on this, but lord I wish we could be more confident in the consistency of this SKU.

Oh and thanks again for your response. I can report back later with exact timestamps on S2 so it's easier for you to check.
So, same settings here as well and the neon lights and blue in the mall popped so crazily that I thought my blue settings must be wrong, it just looked horrible so not sure if this was how the mall scene was shot or HDR10 settings are just bad. The rest of the episode looks great to me, I like these new settings. Thanks subacabra.

Also, a few other questions, hoping someone can answer.

on the Hifi settings, i started with a base (bright) which I never use but I compared and changed every setting to align with cinema mode (except ISF). Then I changed it to follow everything hifi recommends for SDR so now it's my SDR profile. Have I effectively achieved the base cinema profile plus recommended settings? Did I overcomplicate it?

As for User, I did something similar but eyeballed the settings I like to better match the settings I like for my computer.

Then I modified the cinema mode to match the HDR recommended settings. However, when you start HDR10 content (such as stranger things), it overrides my settings so I had to set them again. I hope I don't have to do it manually every time.

How are you saving these settings and under which profiles? Just curious.
home4sale2 is offline  
post #4109 of 4624 Old 07-10-2019, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member
 
sparky7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: reno,nv.
Posts: 593
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky7 View Post
Has anyone had problems with SBS 3D I can't seem to get it to work. Field sequential works fine.

mark
Called BenQ CSR & he checked with someone & said if plays bluray frame packed its working properly? But not designed to play Plex MKV's side by side. I had a HT2550 that I sent in for firmware update to fix side by side & they added HLG & then the SBS worked fine.

Isn't this kind of odd. I may be doing something wrong. I start the SBS go to 3D Mode select side by side it blacks out for a few seconds & nothing happens. Its like its getting out of 4K mode to be able to play it.



mark
sparky7 is offline  
post #4110 of 4624 Old 07-10-2019, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member
 
futurecode's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Hope, NJ
Posts: 558
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Current unit RMA "not so much an" UPDATE ...

Was sent this response on July 3'rd 11:30am est:

Quote:
Thank you for the pictures and will relay this information to our product managers.
It's currently July 10'th 12:30pm est and have yet receive a response/follow up/anything.

Beer Massif/ve Beers :: U.S. based windbag who won't shut up about beer :: Lord Commander of the Beer Massif Podcast ::youtube.com/massivebeers
BenQ W1070 | 100" Dalite Fixed Screen
Onkyo NR-676 | BIC America: DV64 Towers : DV62CLR-S Center : DV62si Surrounds : V1020 Sub
Intel 2600k at 4.6GHZ w/ Asus GTX1070 | Playstation 4 | Playstation 3

Last edited by futurecode; 07-10-2019 at 09:31 AM.
futurecode is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off